New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content 8: OMG I SHIP IT

Im honestly curious to see what pintsize has to say. Did he actually act responsible and suggest she stop chugging for a minute to let the booze settle? Did he ask to see her cans again, figuring she might be drunk enough to do it and not care? Probably not number 2, there doesnt seem to be battle damage. Also, marten is decidedly unworried for finding his friend knocked out in a puddle of her own vomit. Thats generally a bad thing. Isnt that a sing of alcohol poisoning?
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

2. - Top - End - #332

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Thats generally a bad thing. Isnt that a sing of alcohol poisoning?
    Well, the whole deal with the vomiting is that the excess alcohol now isn't being digested (because it is all over the couch instead of her stomach) so it's not lethal or anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

3. - Top - End - #333
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yana View Post
    Knowing QC, we'd more likely see Penelope/Cosette singing "Ding-dong the Witch is dead". Then again, has QC ever handled death as a subject before?
    You mean aside from the whole "My dad shot himself right in front of me" thing?
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

4. - Top - End - #334
    Titan in the Playground

Also, "unworried" is not how I'd describe immediately dropping plans with your significant other to deal with the situation.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Well, the whole deal with the vomiting is that the excess alcohol now isn't being digested (because it is all over the couch instead of her stomach) so it's not lethal or anything.
    On the other hand, it can block respiration. As eee said, if she had passed out on her back, choking to death on her own vomit would have been a very real possibility.
    ithilanor on Steam.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Faye is too experienced an alcoholic - much like cats will always land on their feet, she will always pass out facing sideways.
    I'd venture a guess, it's the other way around: she lived through a lot of alcohol binges thanks to her instinct to lie on a side. Those people, who like to sleep on their backs, don't get to be experienced alcoholics. Cause and efect.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    That's generally a bad thing. Isn't that a sign of alcohol poisoning?
    Well, it's definitely a bad thing, but I don't think Faye is in mortal danger at the moment. This bender is no doubt taking its toll on a number of internal organs, but Faye is a heavy enough drinker that I doubt she overindulged to the point of needing a hospital - she's got to have a resistance built up.

As a few other posters have pointed out, though, she was in danger when she passed out and threw up, in that order. It bears repeating that she lucked out when she vomited sideways instead of on her back.

Personally, I doubt Jeff will get rid of Faye, either through death or departure. There's plenty of drama and dark humor to be had as Faye gets to experience the joys of withdrawal.

I do want to see what Pintsize's take on it is. We know he's a human-interests AnthroPC at the core, however squirrely he acts day-to-day...
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2015-01-23 at 01:14 PM.
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Yeah, put me in the, "There's no way this is Dora's fault," camp. Faye made her own choices.

And frankly, I don't see how Dora could have done this that much better as a friend. Faye can be pretty stubborn, and a gentle, "Go home, Faye," would have been shrugged off. And at that point, well, she'd have to fire Faye, well, we've talked about this. Running after Faye would probably have gotten Dora a black eye or a punch in the gut. I guess she could have called someone, but Faye was in angry drunk mode at that point, and I don't see her accepting help from anyone (See Pintsize being turned off).
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

9. - Top - End - #339
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I wouldn't say that Marten's "unworried" at the moment. I would say he's more keeping himself collected so that he doesn't freak out Claire. Plus, I do not think this was exactly unexpected to him.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    Yeah, put me in the, "There's no way this is Dora's fault," camp. Faye made her own choices.

And frankly, I don't see how Dora could have done this that much better as a friend. Faye can be pretty stubborn, and a gentle, "Go home, Faye," would have been shrugged off. And at that point, well, she'd have to fire Faye, well, we've talked about this. Running after Faye would probably have gotten Dora a black eye or a punch in the gut. I guess she could have called someone, but Faye was in angry drunk mode at that point, and I don't see her accepting help from anyone (See Pintsize being turned off).
    I think calling someone to stay around Faye and keep her safe (i.e. rolling her on her side if/when she passed out) would have been a good thing to do, but that's about the only thing she could have done better.
    ithilanor on Steam.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    It is not the alcoholic's employer's responsibility to cater to his addict employee's struggles. Dora did the responsible thing as a business manager, the end.
    I'm certainly not arguing about the employer bit (though I'd wish an employer to be a bit more empathetic) but did I miss the part where the two stopped being friends? Or is this part of the American "my business is more important than anything else" philosophy? I'll admit, maybe "Dora's fault" is a bit of a harsh choice of words, but I'll be damned if she couldn't have come up with a way to not send faye off to be alone, depressed, free to access more alcohol, and also free to access other, more dangerous stuffs.
    I mean, it's QC verse, yhe could have probably locked her in a closet to sober up or something, she didn't have to hold her hadn all the time. Heck, it's CoD, they probably have some handcuffs lying around to cuff her to a radiator, I don't know. Or tell someone else Faye might need company, Hanners or whoever else is probably not at work.

Not saying Faye isn't responsible for her own actions, that doesn't mean Dora didn't (in my opinion) make a pretty bad call there.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

12. - Top - End - #342
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Dora's human, everyone has a breaking point. This time, Faye hit that point to where Dora couldn't deal with it anymore, even just for a little while. Maybe not a good decision. Maybe a very bad decision. But an absolutely understandable decision, even for a friend.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2015-01-23 at 02:58 PM.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Well, like I said, there's not a whole lot she can do. Running after Faye will make the situation worse, and I'm not sure how much help Martin would be (It seems like it's better to keep him out until around now where he can provide support when Faye is merely hungover, not drunk and angry).

And then there's Pintsize- There's a lot of variables in how he fits into the picture depending on whether you know he has an off switch and whether you realize he can be trusted when it counts.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

14. - Top - End - #344
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    I'm certainly not arguing about the employer bit (though I'd wish an employer to be a bit more empathetic) but did I miss the part where the two stopped being friends? Or is this part of the American "my business is more important than anything else" philosophy?
    As opposed to what? If Fae jeopradises CoD, then it's not just Dora out on her ass. It's every single one of her other employees.

An empathetic employer is nice, but it's not something that can be afforded. I've been on the wrong end of a right bastard of a boss before but this isn't that. It's a case of Dora flat out not being able to indulge someone who refuses to work with her.

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    Well, like I said, there's not a whole lot she can do. Running after Faye will make the situation worse, and I'm not sure how much help Martin would be (It seems like it's better to keep him out until around now where he can provide support when Faye is merely hungover, not drunk and angry).

And then there's Pintsize- There's a lot of variables in how he fits into the picture depending on whether you know he has an off switch and whether you realize he can be trusted when it counts.
    I suspect that Faye may have played the blame game or used her former drinking buddy as an easy target. It would be easy to just say it's his fault for encouraging her, but it wouldn't be wise. Remember that Pintsize has no job and no real responsibilities, which Faye knew going in. Martin doesn't even trust him enough to load sensitive information on him. Even if he gets blitzed to hell and back everyone just rolls their eyes and lets him stumble around.
    Last edited by Jayngfet; 2015-01-23 at 03:09 PM.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Titan in the Playground

*reads today's comic*
    Nuuuuuuuuu . . ..
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

16. - Top - End - #346

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    I'm certainly not arguing about the employer bit (though I'd wish an employer to be a bit more empathetic) but did I miss the part where the two stopped being friends? Or is this part of the American "my business is more important than anything else" philosophy? I'll admit, maybe "Dora's fault" is a bit of a harsh choice of words, but I'll be damned if she couldn't have come up with a way to not send faye off to be alone, depressed, free to access more alcohol, and also free to access other, more dangerous stuffs.
    I mean, it's QC verse, yhe could have probably locked her in a closet to sober up or something, she didn't have to hold her hadn all the time. Heck, it's CoD, they probably have some handcuffs lying around to cuff her to a radiator, I don't know. Or tell someone else Faye might need company, Hanners or whoever else is probably not at work.

Not saying Faye isn't responsible for her own actions, that doesn't mean Dora didn't (in my opinion) make a pretty bad call there.
    Maybe it an American thing (i dunno, im Canadian), but "restrain someone against their free will" sounds like a very, very bad idea. Borderline criminal offense.

You cannot just lock up someone unless you are preventing them from doing something criminal.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Maybe it an American thing (i dunno, im Canadian), but "restrain someone against their free will" sounds like a very, very bad idea. Borderline criminal offense.

You cannot just lock up someone unless you are preventing them from doing something criminal.
    Threatening people with broadswords is also borderline criminal, or possibly outright criminal, and yet they do that on a periodic basis too. QCverse freely deviates from reality whenever it is dramatic or funny.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Barbarian in the Playground

Mostly I just want to know how Pintsize got turned off. Did Faye remember he has a power switch somewhere? Did he turn himself off for one reason or another? Is he even capable of turning himself off? Did he finally reach some kind of booze limit and go into automatic shutdown mode? Has anything that might explain this ever been mentioned in the comic before?

19. - Top - End - #349
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    I assume they do know. It's more the people who used "wholesome" a lot in the context of this comic were also critical of Claire and Marten's relationship. At least as far as I know.
    It's more that the people who I've seen use the term "wholesome" heavily and unironically and the people I know who are unrepentant cissexist and homophobic douchebags who would be whining about how Claire and Marten's relationship is "abhorrent homosexual behavior" or similar are largely the same people. There are some exceptions, but I'd say that the primary definition of "wholesome" at this point is "consistent with a social agenda that was held by the majority in the 1950's" with an undertone of "as opposed to the social agenda of today's corrupt world".

That's not to say that everyone who uses the term fits into that category, just that I would be extremely surprised to see any part of QC described as wholesome by most people who habitually use it.
    Last edited by Knaight; 2015-01-23 at 08:48 PM.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

20. - Top - End - #350

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    It's more that the people who I've seen use the term "wholesome" heavily and unironically and the people I know who are unrepentant cissexist and homophobic douchebags who would be whining about how Claire and Marten's relationship is "abhorrent homosexual behavior" or similar are largely the same people. There are some exceptions, but I'd say that the primary definition of "wholesome" at this point is "consistent with a social agenda that was held by the majority in the 1950's" with an undertone of "as opposed to the social agenda of today's corrupt world".

That's not to say that everyone who uses the term fits into that category, just that I would be extremely surprised to see any part of QC described as wholesome by most people who habitually use it.
    Would you mind posting examples? Mainly because I'm wondering who would actually look at Questionable Content and use the word "Wholesome".

21. - Top - End - #351
    Titan in the Playground

That's why I said "QC verse!, as Glyph also mentioned, they don't seem to be too strict on the whole law thing. And it would be for her own benefit. Admittedly, I'm not sure if "preventing someone from possibly harming themself" or such would fall under a grey area in real life. (I know. But isn't Canada still part of (North)America? And while I'll certainly agree there are huge differences between you and your southern neighbours, there are also certain similarities. Well, as well as with most western countries.)

Quote Originally Posted by EnragedFilia View Post
    Mostly I just want to know how Pintsize got turned off. Did Faye remember he has a power switch somewhere? Did he turn himself off for one reason or another? Is he even capable of turning himself off? Did he finally reach some kind of booze limit and go into automatic shutdown mode? Has anything that might explain this ever been mentioned in the comic before?
    I think at some earlier point there was some mention off a power switch? Not sure, but I feel like there was another instance when he got offed, somehow.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

22. - Top - End - #352

My personal opinion is that alcoholics are a menace to society and their chances of long-term improvement are slim, so they should probably be locked up somewhere far away from society where they can't do as much damage.

I feel no sympathy whatsoever for Faye and never have.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2015-01-24 at 08:21 AM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

23. - Top - End - #353
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    My personal opinion is that alcoholics are a menace to society and their chances of long-term improvement are slim, so they should probably be locked up somewhere far away from society where they can't do as much damage.

I feel no sympathy whatsoever for Faye and never have.
    Confound it, man, stop prevaricating! Just come out and say what you mean!!

24. - Top - End - #354
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I think at some earlier point there was some mention off a power switch? Not sure, but I feel like there was another instance when he got offed, somehow
    Marten didn't want to take any chances with leaving Pintsize unsupervised.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    Would you mind posting examples? Mainly because I'm wondering who would actually look at Questionable Content and use the word "Wholesome".
    My point is that effectively nobody would, because what does get labeled "Wholesome" is generally stuff like Leave it to Beaver or Disney princess movies.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    Thus, I think Tai is being a bad influence despite not meaning to be.
    I would say those are good influences. Cutting people who make your life harder or worse out of it is a good thing. You get between 0 and 110 years on this Earth, don't waste it on people who make you miserable.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

27. - Top - End - #357

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I would say those are good influences. Cutting people who make your life harder or worse out of it is a good thing. You get between 0 and 110 years on this Earth, don't waste it on people who make you miserable.
    In Sven's case, though, he wasn't actually doing anything that hurt Dora. At worst, he was slightly annoying Faye, who Dora is now apparently cutting out.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    My point is that effectively nobody would, because what does get labeled "Wholesome" is generally stuff like Leave it to Beaver or Disney princess movies.
    Just based on the title of the comic, I can't imagine anyone thinking of it as wholesome family entertainment.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    In Sven's case, though, he wasn't actually doing anything that hurt Dora. At worst, he was slightly annoying Faye, who Dora is now apparently cutting out.
    You've claimed that before and it still isn't true. He's had a huge negative impact on her life, and is a pretty terrible person in his own right even without doing anything to her.
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

30. - Top - End - #360

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    You've claimed that before and it still isn't true. He's had a huge negative impact on her life, and is a pretty terrible person in his own right even without doing anything to her.
    Counterpoint: he's not a bad person and her issues with him are tied to her own control problems.

Sven has (had?) a self-destructive lifestyle, and he hasn't been good to Faye. But he's never intentionally hurt his sister, and when she needed help, he was there to support her.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.