New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 42 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Baldur's Gate: The Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    Don't know the details about Hexxat's romance, but Hexxat's tied to a rather lengthy series of tombs you have to raid to find certain artifacts. Hexxat is working for someone who can grant her a wish she desperately wants fulfilled, but just what that wish is doesn't get discussed until it's about to get granted in ToB. The dungeons are interesting and have some cool gear and Hexxat herself brings a lot of unique factors to the table.
    Is that the character herself or are they tied to the Romance in any way? I might keep her around but Romance someone else.

3DS Name: Rezzy, FC: 0104-0343-1530

Lots of bred Pokemon, complete list on my Gym Leader Page of the Giant League Wiki, PM me if you'd like to trade for one.

Fire Emblem Fates Castle Address
    05107-66614
    62592-54117

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rezkeshdadesh View Post
    Is that the character herself or are they tied to the Romance in any way? I might keep her around but Romance someone else.
    The character. The romance is kinda tacked on, probably to fill a quota. All it really does is add a personal involvement in a questline in which you're basically an NPC of someone else's story.

Spoiler: Spoilers about Hexxat that YouTube probably already spoiled for you.
    Show
    Hexxat, the real Hexxat*, is a vampire. Not a happy vampire, either, as she doesn't like her condition and wouldn't subject it on her worst enemy. However, she makes good use of her vampirism. Besides having rather absurd stat scores, she gives the Scion a bag of holding with a coffin in it. If she falls in battle, she retreats into the bag and comes out fine 8 hours later, effectively sleeping off death. The bag of holding also works as... well... a bag of holding, available much earlier than the one you can recover from Spellhold. Besides that, she's got a cloak that allows her to operate in the sunlight without being reduced to dust, but wearing the cloak greatly decreases her stats. So you'll usually have her keep the cloak on for normal situations, then remove the cloak (if indoors or underground) when she really needs her full power.

* The Hexxat you meet originally is, in fact, Clara, a poor girl Hexxat has dominated in order to attract adventurers that can free her from her confinement.

Spoiler: Hexxat's wish
    Show
    Hexxat's wish is to be cured of vampirism. The catch is that her age will catch up with her instantly if that happens and that will be enough to kill her on the spot. She doesn't care, however. She's terrified of dying as a vampire and her only real desire remaining is to die a human, even if she'll never get the chance to live as a human again.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

I finally got Minsc's quest to start. Hanging around down by the water seems to have done the trick.

I just ran into Jan. I probably won't keep him around after his sidequest this time, since he always seems to be in my party, but it has my favorite line in the game.

"Jan Jansen, gnomish citizen of Amn, you have been charged with tax evasion and the illegal sale of illegal items in an illegal manner."

Lots of bred Pokemon, complete list on my Gym Leader Page of the Giant League Wiki, PM me if you'd like to trade for one.

05107-66614
    62592-54117

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

According to the comments on GoG.com, the version of BG2:EE sold there is horrendously bugged. Has anyone heard anything about that?
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    According to the comments on GoG.com, the version of BG2:EE sold there is horrendously bugged. Has anyone heard anything about that?
    I remember my copy of BG1:EE, upon release, crashed a ton in addition to having stuff lazily implemented. I've also seen all sorts of rage and reports in BG2:EE mainly regarding the multiplayer that didn't work at all when it was meant to (despite this being a large selling point). I've been told a lot of it has been fixed, but I've not been interested in pursuing the Beamdog releases since.

Also I just learnt today that in BG2:EE, Use Any Item does not allow you to use the NPC-only items. Refreshing to know that a rogue is able to wield Carsomyr but can't figure out how to put on Jansen's gloves or that Keldorn's Hallowed Redeemer has a stronger saintly paladin bond than the legendary sword of awesomeness. Wtf. :|
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Mordekaiser for president.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

GoG is having a big sale, so I thought I might scoop it for a low price just to see what it's like. The biggest turn-off for me continues to be the lack of modding support, but I am curious about some of the new content.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

So, I finally got this game and I made a shapeshifter to try that class out. I noticed that sometimes when shapeshifted, I am equipped with my weapons, but when I unequip them I am fighting unarmed and will deal subdual damage. Is this a bug?
    Spoiler: Ironcage Keep
    Show
    Initiative:

- Leo
    - Enemies
    - Frith (Light, 92 rounds), Obergrym (rage 5 rounds, 14/17 hp), Melrik - CURRENT
    - Enemies
    - Jade
    - Enemies

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seharvepernfan View Post
    So, I finally got this game and I made a shapeshifter to try that class out. I noticed that sometimes when shapeshifted, I am equipped with my weapons, but when I unequip them I am fighting unarmed and will deal subdual damage. Is this a bug?
    Shapeshifter in the original game sucks and is buggy. If someone casts Dispel Magic on you while Shapeshifted, your natural weapon gets dispelled and leaves you with whatever you had in hand.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

Im playing the enhanced edition, and nobody has hit me with a dispel.
    Spoiler: Ironcage Keep
    Show
    Initiative:

- Leo
    - Enemies
    - Frith (Light, 92 rounds), Obergrym (rage 5 rounds, 14/17 hp), Melrik - CURRENT
    - Enemies
    - Jade
    - Enemies

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

GoG is having a big sale, so I thought I might scoop it for a low price just to see what it's like. The biggest turn-off for me continues to be the lack of modding support, but I am curious about some of the new content.
    Thanks for the sale tip, time to add to my collection...

05107-66614
    62592-54117

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

I installed the Enhanced Edition for BG1, and resumed fighting through the Black Pits. Damn, I forgot how downright depressing it is to level up AD&D warriors. That screen is so barren if they don't get another proficiency point.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

I installed the Enhanced Edition for BG1, and resumed fighting through the Black Pits. Damn, I forgot how downright depressing it is to level up AD&D warriors. That screen is so barren if they don't get another proficiency point.
    Yeah, although it's nice and simple if you're new to D&D.

05107-66614
    62592-54117

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

The first character I played in BG2 was a sorcerer, then a mage. I managed somehow despite being around 12 at the time and having no prior contact with D&D.

Also, only now do I realize that bringing a Thief along to the Black Pits is a waste of a character slot. Apart from backstabs, thieves have nothing to do there. You can't rearrange your party, though.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Damn, I forgot how downright depressing it is to level up AD&D warriors.
    Don't know what you're talking about. The most HPs, extra THAC0. In a low-level game like Baldur's Gate 1, Warriors have the easiest time. Lots of HPs, best armour, etc. When you level up a Mage, pretty much nothing happens. Your HPs barely move and your THAC0 doesn't move.

Easiest game I ever played of BG1 was;
    PC - Ranger
    Minsc - Ranger
    Kivan - Ranger
    Ajantis - Paladin (with Gauntlets of DEX)
    Khalid - Fighter
    Imoen - Thief-Mage

Shar-Teel instead of Khalid would have been better, but she's Evil. Everyone grabs two stars in Bows, select all, attack. A full Warrior party steamrolls through BG1 because Bows are just that good.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

15. - Top - End - #105
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Man, I am REALLY missing the "defend" option in EE. The ability to just set some people to "Stand here and hit anyone who comes close"? GOLD.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Man, I am REALLY missing the "defend" option in EE. The ability to just set some people to "Stand here and hit anyone who comes close"? GOLD.
    I think you can set the NPC AI to be along those lines.

For my party, I might have to bid farewell to Aerie, soon. I need to party slot and she doesn't really have any sidequests left.

Current party line-up

Rhea, Half-Elf Ranger/Cleric
    Jaheira (so many sidequests to finish)
    Yoshimo (until I get Imoen back, he can kinda be a semi-permanent party member)
    Hexxat
    Kelsey
    Aerie

I ran into Neera, and she went off to her Thicket of Solitude. Will she hang around there indefinitely, or is there a timer I'm working against?

05107-66614
    62592-54117

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I ran into Neera, and she went off to her Thicket of Solitude. Will she hang around there indefinitely, or is there a timer I'm working against?
    She'll hang out there as long as needed. She needs your help to get home anyway. Try to get your party as unreliant on magic as possible, however. The forest she fled to turns any spell cast in its borders (including innates) into a wild magic surge. Also be sure to save frequently. There are a lot of nasty traps and some pools of wild magic that can permanently polymorph you into a chipmunk.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground

While both Jaheira and Hear'Dalis are interesting characters, I found them so incredibly, incredibly annoying, at least their commentary. Yeah, Jaheira, I get it, you don't like my reputation 20. What do you suggest I do, kill a child?

Also, Jaheire is demanding as all get out. Even after you've saved her from almost certain death, she still screams at you if you try to drop her off at a safe location.
    Si non confectus, non reficiat.

The beautiful girl is courtesy of Serpentine
    My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Don't know what you're talking about. The most HPs, extra THAC0. In a low-level game like Baldur's Gate 1, Warriors have the easiest time. Lots of HPs, best armour, etc. When you level up a Mage, pretty much nothing happens. Your HPs barely move and your THAC0 doesn't move.
    Mages and priests get new spells, which are far more interesting. I'm not talking about power here.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Bugbear in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    That was the point, I believe. The answer was somewhat facetious. .
    More or less.

My point was that a sensible evil character would probably take the "good" or "neutral" options in such situations for the rewards, while secretly working towards an evil goal.

A well-designed game that is supposed to let you play as an "evil" character should therefore let you have and carry out proper evil plans, and be able to distinguish between genuine good, and good acts done for cover.

The problem is BG1 doesn't really have many sensible evil options, so the only way to be evil in game is to either choose the jerk options in conversations, or randomly murder people. And although you could have your own head-canon that you are secretly plotting to take over the world and are only doing taking the good options for reward and influence, there's no way of letting your party in on the plan, so you will end up upsetting your evil minions party members.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GolemsVoice View Post
    While both Jaheira and Hear'Dalis are interesting characters, I found them so incredibly, incredibly annoying, at least their commentary. Yeah, Jaheira, I get it, you don't like my reputation 20. What do you suggest I do, kill a child?

Also, Jaheire is demanding as all get out. Even after you've saved her from almost certain death, she still screams at you if you try to drop her off at a safe location.
    In the Enhanced Edition, Neutral Characters, or Jaheira at least, don't complain when your reputation gets too high, it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    That, and most evil options are Stupid Evil, particularly in BG1

Made-up example:

NPC: "Please help me! My kitten is stuck in a tree!"
    Good response: "Of course I'll help you!"
    Neutral response: "Only if you pay me!"
    Evil response: *eat kitten*

The good responses often give more xp too, and given that high rep lowers shop prices, it will pay off more in the long run than the neutral. So you basically have a choice between "long-term gain", "short-term gain", "lolderp".
    The Tick has long known that kitten eating is a litmus test of evil.

05107-66614
    62592-54117

22. - Top - End - #112
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    More or less.

My point was that a sensible evil character would probably take the "good" or "neutral" options in such situations for the rewards, while secretly working towards an evil goal.

A well-designed game that is supposed to let you play as an "evil" character should therefore let you have and carry out proper evil plans, and be able to distinguish between genuine good, and good acts done for cover.

The problem is BG1 doesn't really have many sensible evil options, so the only way to be evil in game is to either choose the jerk options in conversations, or randomly murder people. And although you could have your own head-canon that you are secretly plotting to take over the world and are only doing taking the good options for reward and influence, there's no way of letting your party in on the plan, so you will end up upsetting your evil minions party members.
    Which is why I like the "lie" option.

"I'd be glad to get your kitten!"
    "Lie: I'd be glad to get your kitten."
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

Nothing like chugging a couple Potions of Master Thievery, then stealing a merchant's entire stock of magical items.

05107-66614
    62592-54117

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

In the Enhanced Edition, Neutral Characters, or Jaheira at least, don't complain when your reputation gets too high, it seems.
    Yeah, I have played the unenhanced version, sadly. By the way, which accent is Jaheira supposed to have, which real-world equivalent is she from? In the German version, she's got some strange vague accent that only serves to make her constant nagging worse.
    Si non confectus, non reficiat.

The beautiful girl is courtesy of Serpentine
    My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

25. - Top - End - #115
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, I have played the unenhanced version, sadly. By the way, which accent is Jaheira supposed to have, which real-world equivalent is she from? In the German version, she's got some strange vague accent that only serves to make her constant nagging worse.
    I think it undefined Eastern European.

05107-66614
    62592-54117

26. - Top - End - #116

I think there was a mod that makes it so neutral characters dont complain if your reputation gets too high or low. At least, I remember playing a good character and Jaheira was always saying how happy she was

3DS friend code: 0748-2783-1667
    Mii name: Sajiri

Ruya avatar by me!
    My Tumblr (more active than Deviantart these days)
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

27. - Top - End - #117
    Troll in the Playground

Kelsey sure is talkative. I guess he'll be my de facto Romance this playthrough. Is there a mod that lets you do more than one Romance simultaneously?

05107-66614
    62592-54117

28. - Top - End - #118

I don't know about EE but I know most mod romances didn't conflict with each other so you could do as many as you wanted.

There WAS a mod that added conflicts between mod npcs, I dont remember which it was (possibly Romantic Encounters) which I think might have also had an option to remove any conflicts including with vanilla npcs.

I just remember doing a playthrough once trying to get as much romantic conflict as possible, complete with the Jerry Zinger mod...I was bored.

3DS friend code: 0748-2783-1667
    Mii name: Sajiri

Ruya avatar by me!
    My Tumblr (more active than Deviantart these days)
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sajiri View Post
    I don't know about EE but I know most mod romances didn't conflict with each other so you could do as many as you wanted.

There WAS a mod that added conflicts between mod npcs, I dont remember which it was (possibly Romantic Encounters) which I think might have also had an option to remove any conflicts including with vanilla npcs.

I just remember doing a playthrough once trying to get as much romantic conflict as possible, complete with the Jerry Zinger mod...I was bored.
    That's good. It just seems that Kelsey has spoken to me so much already, and I didn't want to commit to him just yet.

In other news, does Hexxat's quest line bug. Several in-game days ago, she said that she would be met by Mr. L soon, and nothing has happened, yet. She hasn't made any advances on me, either.

I'm surprised that there's an apparent lack of Valygar Romance mods. Wasn't he supposed to be one of the female romance options that was cut before the final release? I'd go for him over Anomen or Haer'dalis.

Against my better judgement, I tried installing the Imoen Romance, which says it's compatible with EE, but I couldn't get it to install, properly. Any trouble-shooting for that one?

05107-66614
    62592-54117

30. - Top - End - #120
    Troll in the Playground

I'm surprised that there's an apparent lack of Valygar Romance mods. Wasn't he supposed to be one of the female romance options that was cut before the final release? I'd go for him over Anomen or Haer'dalis.
    To my knowledge, Valygar Romance is a component of the Tortured Souls mod (which is also a treat for Yoshimo fans).

FYI, if you want to do more research on that, google Corthala Romantique or Valygar Romantique as those were the design names for the romance mods/components.
    Last edited by Winthur; 2014-12-07 at 08:15 PM.