New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 52 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Tales of Aequar: Runite's Rise IC V

Artorias takes some time to examine the caged rats "Ideally, we would take some of the ill rats and some of the healthy ones" he scratches his chin, he hadn't shaved in a while and the stubble started to itch, "However, I don't know how Deidre or her guards would take to us taking clearly diseased rats to her..."
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

"take the healthy rats" Elsee chimed in. "feed 'em up now so they're not hungry, then give 'em the bad water in front of her eyes, maybe one or two with clean water. then we leave 'em there for a bit, let her see for herself."
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #183
    Colossus in the Playground

"That would be a good idea," Jadeite says, "Though they did not fall I'll until late in the night. But perhaps we could do both."

Spoiler: Guys?
    Show
    what do you want to do? Both or something else?

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

Elsee shruged. "Gueeess that works out... would probably be bringing like half the dang things in that case though."
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #185

"In that case," Jadeite says as he reaches for Artorias's bag of holding, "We'll just have to leave this open, won't we."

That works for some of the cages. Others are strapped to Kheel's back, and still others are delicately balanced on a Floating Disc. They hustle to the Heights, weapons out and ready, and so don't get any trouble.

The Heights are quiet, but it's a more serene quiet than the oppressive stillness elsewhere in the city. The people who are on the streets are quietly walking their pets or having servants do it for the, every large lawn is neatly trimmed, and the Wyvern's Fangs couldn't look more out of place. There's no more than three mansions to a block, and each is huge and well-maintained, even now. And each one has its own well. Dierdre's mansion, at the north end of the Heights, is the most fortress-like of them all, with tall ornamental fences, smoothed down with sharp spikes on their tips, trees with branches too thin to climb on, and a gardener's shack that seems to double as a guardhouse. Two humans, neatly dressed and groomed, appear to stand guard outside.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

"Sure... put the rats into my bag, I haven't even figured out how to to clean it yet! Artorias let's his head hang in defeat.
    Just call me Dusk

7. - Top - End - #187

"Why, thank you for volunteering," Jadeite says with a grin.

Spoiler: Seriously though
    Show
    Is this ok? If so I'll most forward to Dierdre's mansion. If not we can think of something else.

8. - Top - End - #188

The Heights are quiet, but it's a more serene quiet than the oppressive stillness elsewhere in the city. The people who are on the streets are quietly walking their pets or having servants do it for the, every large lawn is neatly trimmed, and the Wyvern's Fangs couldn't look more out of place. There's no more than three mansions to a block, and each is huge and well-maintained, even now. And each one has its own well. Dierdre's mansion, at the north end of the Heights, is the most fortress-like of them all, with tall ornamental fences, smoothed down with sharp spikes on their tips, trees with branches too thin to climb on, and a gardener's shack that seems to double as a guardhouse. Two humans, neatly dressed and groomed, appear to stand guard outside.

At the sight of the humans, elf, goblin, and Wyvern, the guards shift to a slightly more aggressive stance. "Who are you, and state your business," they say, keeping their focus on Kheel.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

"Easy there boys, we are the Wyvern's Fang and we have a meting with lady Deidre." he then notices their attention is focused on Kheel. "I wouldn't do that if I were you. Kheel is very well mannered and trained, but even he becomes anxious when people wave weapons in his face."
    Just call me Dusk

10. - Top - End - #190

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    "Easy there boys, we are the Wyvern's Fang and we have a meting with lady Deidre."
    "Do you have any proof?" one guard asks as the other fumbles for something under his shirt. When he seems to find it he takes on an expression of intense concentration.

he then notices their attention is focused on Kheel. "I wouldn't do that if I were you. Kheel is very well mannered and trained, but even he becomes anxious when people wave weapons in his face."
    "Is that a threat?!" the first guard shouts as he reaches for his spear.

"Easy there, Peter," a glass-smooth voice says from behind him. The guardhouse door quietly opens, and Kayda steps out. As before, she's flanked by several hobgoblin guards, including the nearly ogre-sized brute.

"Artorias, was it?" she asks, making her way towards the gates. "Have you forgotten your manners so quickly?"

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    "Do you have any proof?" one guard asks as the other fumbles for something under his shirt. When he seems to find it he takes on an expression of intense concentration.

"Is that a threat?!" the first guard shouts as he reaches for his spear. [/QUOTE]

"Not really, just a suggestion" he replies sardonically.

/QUOTE]
    "Easy there, Peter," a glass-smooth voice says from behind him. The guardhouse door quietly opens, and Kayda steps out. As before, she's flanked by several hobgoblin guards, including the nearly ogre-sized brute.

"Artorias, was it?" she asks, making her way towards the gates. "Have you forgotten your manners so quickly?"[/QUOTE]

Artorias nods in acknowledgement "I'm afraid manners haven't been my strong suit ever ,Kayda; just ask my mother" he says with some humour in his voice "I am assuming you got our message?"
    Just call me Dusk

12. - Top - End - #192

Kayda nods. "Consider yourself fortunate that Darric was able to gain audience so easily, and also consider improvin your diplomatic skills." She raises her voice slightly, "You all may enter, but the Wyvern must remain outside."

Once the party agrees to do so, the guards open the gates long enough for everyone to enter, then close them again.

"The estate is heavily warded, so you would do well to be careful," Kayda says as they walk along the grounds. Indeed, more discerning eyes can see warding stones and the like concealed in the foliage, or artfully integrated into statues dotting the garden. Military-minded eyes can see how the shrubbery and ornamental walls forcefully redirect and orient people, putting them in clear view of whomever might be in te balconies above.

Kayda opens the door with a heavy, intimidating sound, and despite the bright daylight outside the party finds themselves walking into shadows and darkness. She closes the door behind the party with an echoing click, and it takes some time for everyone's eyes to adjust to the shadows.

When they do, they find themselves in a warm foyer, lined with plants and ornamental spider webs. They're artfully arranged, the thin strands spanning from leaf to leaf and hanging from the corners. The webs cover the windows but it's heavy velvet drapes which block the light. Theres a bench and side table hewn from fine stone which are thankfully mostly free rom webs. The foyer seems to be built to allow circulation of air and in fact anyone listening carefully can hear low voices even before Kayda walks off. A few spiders, some as large as a thumb, complete the scene.

"I'll get Dierdre," Kayda says as she heads off, leaving the party in the foyer.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

Elsee smiles beneath her facemask as she looked about the room, her hands folded behind her back as she rocked forward and back on her heels. "Nice place aint it?"
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #194
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kayda nods. "Consider yourself fortunate that Darric was able to gain audience so easily, and also consider improvin your diplomatic skills." She raises her voice slightly, "You all may enter, but the Wyvern must remain outside."

Once the party agrees to do so, the guards open the gates long enough for everyone to enter, then close them again.

"The estate is heavily warded, so you would do well to be careful," Kayda says as they walk along the grounds. Indeed, more discerning eyes can see warding stones and the like concealed in the foliage, or artfully integrated into statues dotting the garden. Military-minded eyes can see how the shrubbery and ornamental walls forcefully redirect and orient people, putting them in clear view of whomever might be in te balconies above.

Kayda opens the door with a heavy, intimidating sound, and despite the bright daylight outside the party finds themselves walking into shadows and darkness. She closes the door behind the party with an echoing click, and it takes some time for everyone's eyes to adjust to the shadows.

When they do, they find themselves in a warm foyer, lined with plants and ornamental spider webs. They're artfully arranged, the thin strands spanning from leaf to leaf and hanging from the corners. The webs cover the windows but it's heavy velvet drapes which block the light. Theres a bench and side table hewn from fine stone which are thankfully mostly free rom webs. The foyer seems to be built to allow circulation of air and in fact anyone listening carefully can hear low voices even before Kayda walks off. A few spiders, some as large as a thumb, complete the scene.

"I'll get Dierdre," Kayda says as she heads off, leaving the party in the foyer.
    "Spiders." Badger had stayed quiet so she would not say anything to upset Kayd but now the Drow was gone she left herself shudder. "What do you bet she is around the corner, listening?"

15. - Top - End - #195

"I would consider it a near-certainty," Jadeite says.

Barely a couple minutes after the Wyvern's Fangs have sat down, a young half-drow in simple servant's clothes comes by with a tray of water, a steaming hot teapot, and six glasses. "Would you like some water or tea?" he asks in a quiet voice. "Lady Dierdre is in a meeting right now." The tea smells like citrus and hibiscus, and the spiders move away from the tray as the serving boy approaches.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hey, Cecil mentioned spiders all that time ago!

Anyway I'm going to bed now. Night everyone!

Spoiler: DC 15 Listen check:
    Show
    You can hear two people talking a couple rooms away. One of the voices is softer and more feminine, while the other is deeper and more gruff. A third voice--Kayda's--chimes in and there's silence for a moment.
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2015-01-19 at 12:51 AM.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

Elsee ignored her thirsty lips and shook her head, not trusting anything from within the city until this whole thing was sorted out. "any idea what happened to the hobgoblin guy who came in to book us though?"

Spoiler
    Show
    dont remember anything cecil said sadly, sure it's important though :P
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #197
    Troll in the Playground

Surdrak refuses the water politely and stands behind everyone. He doesnt bother listening.
    Despite everything, its still me.

18. - Top - End - #198

"I would consider it a near-certainty," Jadeite says.

Barely a couple minutes after the Wyvern's Fangs have sat down, a young half-drow in simple servant's clothes comes by with a tray of water, a steaming hot teapot, and six glasses. "Would you like some water or tea?" he asks in a quiet voice. "Lady Dierdre is in a meeting right now." The tea smells like citrus and hibiscus, and the spiders move away from the tray as the serving boy approaches.
    Badger shook her head at the tea, still creeped out by the spiders. "A meeting? With who?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Listen: (1d20+12)[25]

Badger paused, her face growing tight. "She wouldn't. Artorias, take a sniff around." She nodded toward the direction of the voices. "I hear a dwarf in there."
    Last edited by Athedia; 2015-01-19 at 02:41 PM.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

"Why would I do that?" he mutters, mostly to himself once Kayda is outside of earshot. He studies the foyer, he takes special interest in the ornamental web; Artorias had read somewhere that they were common in Drow's house-holds, but he had never seen them before."Interesting decor isn't it?" he says as he watches a spider scurry away from view.

Spoiler: Listen check
    Show

Take 10 for a total of 20

I'll take that tea, thank you"Artorias gives Badger a blank look as he takes the tea-cup from the tray, he makes sure there are no spiders hiding in it though. "I'm not a dog you know?" he complains, but follows her advice none-the-less, he focuses for a second before starting to smell the room, starting with the tea in his hand.

Spoiler
    Show

I don't suppose I could take 20 on this check could I?

Just call me Dusk

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

Sora looks around at the spider décor that forced her to remember getting caught in a large web spread eagle. While that itself didn't bother her, the memory of fast approaching flames while stuck spread eagle in the flammable webs caused her to shiver slightly.
    "Just as long as no one sets it on fire this time..."
    She whispers under her breath to no one in particular.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

21. - Top - End - #201

"I hope that is not a problem this time," Jadeite mutters back to Sora. "And yes Artorias, I find the decor rather fetching. Though I must say I prefer snakes."

Spoiler: Artorias only, please:
    Show
    The tea smells delicious, a well-balanced blend of hibiscus, lemon, and orange. And no, there are no spiders in it. The house itself smells clean and well-maintained; Lady Dierdre's servants must be meticulous about it. And as for the guest...

Badger's right, it's a dwarf; the smell is very similar to the one on the chain shirt. But it's not quite the same. The cologne is of a different brand, one that's more subtle, less ostentatious. There's a stronger smell of sweat and exertion, though again this is very subtle too. But the other smells are practically identical to the one on the chain shirt.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

"I hope that is not a problem this time," Jadeite mutters back to Sora. "And yes Artorias, I find the decor rather fetching. Though I must say I prefer snakes."

Spoiler: Artorias only, please:
    Show
    The tea smells delicious, a well-balanced blend of hibiscus, lemon, and orange. And no, there are no spiders in it. The house itself smells clean and well-maintained; Lady Dierdre's servants must be meticulous about it. And as for the guest...

Badger's right, it's a dwarf; the smell is very similar to the one on the chain shirt. But it's not quite the same. The cologne is of a different brand, one that's more subtle, less ostentatious. There's a stronger smell of sweat and exertion, though again this is very subtle too. But the other smells are practically identical to the one on the chain shirt.
    "What do you mean, 'not a problem this time?!' You're not going to light it on fire for fun are you?!"
    Sora's voice is a whispered outburst directed at Jadeite.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

Artorias takes a tentative sip of the tea, "This is actually quite nice" he says surprised, sniffing the air once more to be sure "You are right Badger, definitely a Dwarf in there"
    Just call me Dusk

24. - Top - End - #204

"I think we should meet this visitor of hers then." Badger looked toward the door waiting for any sound.

25. - Top - End - #205

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    "What do you mean, 'not a problem this time?!' You're not going to light it on fire for fun are you?!"
    Sora's voice is a whispered outburst directed at Jadeite.
    "Really now, when have I ever done that? It's the others you should be more concerned about," Jadeite stage-whispers back.

Quote Originally Posted by Athedia View Post
    "I think we should meet this visitor of hers then." Badger looked toward the door waiting for any sound.
    The conversation dies down and doesn't pick up again. Within just a few minutes the door opens. A dwarf walks out, escorted by some of Dierdre's hobgoblin bodyguards, and his own assistant who is carrying some rolled-up blueprints under her arm.

He's not Cesare. For one thing, Cesare doesn't have dark skin. Cesare has pale skin, straight black hair, and piercing blue eyes. This dwarf has dark skin, wiry black-brown hair, and brown eyes. He's also stockier than Cesare. He nods politely to the party as he leaves.

And then Kayda walks in. "You may come in and see Lady Dierdre now," barely waiting for the party to stand up before she turns and walks back down the hallway. The hallway to Dierdre is darker than the foyer, so dim that the Wyvern's Fangs can barely see the outlines (though Jadeite and Elsee can see without an issue) of wood-and-stone statues with swords and shields in their hands lining the hallway. They salute as Lady Kayda passes, then return to their positions as the party follows behind her. The wooden floor creaks intermittently--and probably deliberately from the sound of it--as they walk and they can feel a warm breeze from somewhere in the room. Finally, they come to a curtain woven from dried dyed spider silk, which Kayda pulls aside.

"Lady Dierdre, I have the Wyvern's Fangs," she says.

There's a pause, and then a voice like silk hiding steel says, "Enter, and take a seat."

This room is brighter than the hallway, but still dim compared to outside. Still, the whole party can see with little difficulty. The room is large, with a desk in the corner, bookcases lining one wall, and in the center a large comfortable couch (big enough to seat everyone) on one side of a low coffee table. On the other side is a green leather chair, built so that anyone sitting in that chair rises above whomever might be sitting in the couch. Dierdre is in the chair.

Dierdre is a middle aged drow, with the slightest hint of lines around the corners of her mouth and eyes. She's dressed in violet silks and the finest fashion in Runite, so fine that it no longer needs to be ostentatious. She's crossed one knee over the other (her dress doesn't quite ride up that far) and her fingers are steepled together under her chin, displaying two rings. Her hair is back, combed in an elaborate style that exposes her ears and finished with a golden barrette. The only other jewelry she wears are a necklace and a bracelet around her right wrist, both simple in their elegance, and both also adorned with a subtle symbol of Erikaf. She is flanked by one guard on each side and there are more by the doorway. And the party is sitting with their backs to the doorway. Dierdre has no visible weapons, but...it doesn't seem like she'd need them.

"Artorias, Badger, Sora, Surdrak, Elsee, and Jadeite," she says, nodding to each of them in turn. "I hear you have some information for me?"

Spoiler: DM Musings
    Show
    I was going to make you roll to recognize the dwarf/recognize he's not Cesare, but then I remembered that you guys saw Cesare at the very start of the game.

And Athedia, trust me when I say it's a very good thing you didn't sneak in on her. You're not a rogue; you would have been caught.

26. - Top - End - #206

"So. Ready to fix the wells before more poor die? I don't care much for your pride that has forced us to prove so much when you sit safe in this neighborhood. Drow or human, you're all the same up here."

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

Elsee loudly slapped her forehead with her palm and sighed. "what she's TRYENG to say es that a few days ago we met one of your girls who was testeng food to see if et was spreading the disease, we thought et might be the water, but she wanted proof. Well we collected a bunch of vials, Elf boy here watered some rats, and now a good portion of them are dead from the disease, and we have more to infect before you're very eyes if you don't mind. Supposedly there's some hint of this whole thing being purposeful sabotage, but i dunno much about that."
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2015-01-22 at 03:05 AM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #208

Quote Originally Posted by Athedia View Post
    "So. Ready to fix the wells before more poor die? I don't care much for your pride that has forced us to prove so much when you sit safe in this neighborhood. Drow or human, you're all the same up here."
    "Badger, what do you think you're--?!"

Dierdre's eyes flash, and every bodyquard in the room stands and reaches for their weapons (the party can hear steel being unsheathed behind them), but the drow holds up a hand. "Wait," she says, and leans forward.

Her voice is dripping with sarcasm; the steel is bared. "Badger, you know that I have tried to become a Senator for nearly a decade. Do you honestly believe I would ignore the city falling apart around, me, that I would ignore someone sabotaging my sewers? Did it not occur to you that perhaps I do have the best interests of Runite at heart? Did you not once question why I needed incontrovertible proof?"

She leans back and steeples her fingers again. "Though I am loath to admit it, my hands are more tied than I would like them to be." She clicks her fingers and another servant comes over with several newspapers. They spill out onto the table. All of them have incendiary titles like, Mistress of Death!, Dierdre Kalidar, Builder of Runite or Architect of its Destruction? and The Insidious Rise of the Plavaan!

"As you see, and as you would have seen if you had been keeping abreast of the news here," she says. "Anything I do now is automatically considered suspect. I could not come to you because that would have tainted your actions; you needed to come to me. I have had some success working with Marius--that was the man who just left. He is one of my main partners on this project, and as a dwarf he is able to operate more freely in these times." She leans back and folds her hands again. "So, are we willing to start again?"

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    Elsee loudly slapped her forehead with her palm and sighed. "what she's TRYENG to say es that a few days ago we met one of your girls who was testeng food to see if et was spreading the disease, we thought et might be the water, but she wanted proof. Well we collected a bunch of vials, Elf boy here watered some rats, and now a good portion of them are dead from the disease, and we have more to infect before you're very eyes if you don't mind. Supposedly there's some hint of this whole thing being purposeful sabotage, but i dunno much about that."
    There's a hint of a smile on her face. "Thank you, Elsee. What else have you found?"
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2015-01-22 at 01:41 PM.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

"other then some busted runes in a hurricane-damaged well and a dragon-acid burn on a wyvvern? Not a whole lot on my end. Anyone else got sometheng here?"
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #210
    Troll in the Playground

Half dragon aligators in swamps and thieves hired by people of influence.
    Despite everything, its still me.