New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 53 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5: Score and Nine

A 202

Yes, as long as their INT is above 2. Their LA would not change, most importantly LA: - will remain LA: -

2. - Top - End - #422
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Q203

Say I'm a Wu Jen lvl 6 and I have prepared and available Steam breath and 5 other spells lvl 0.
    I have the reserve feat Fiery Burst.

If I cast Steam Breath, does the bonus caster level apply to this spell?

I'm now with only 5 spells lvl 0. Is the bonus caster level still running, or did it vanish since I've no more 2nd lvl spell?

Thanks

3. - Top - End - #423
    Ettin in the Playground

A 203

The caster level bonus is independent of the number of memorized [Fire] spells. You only can no longer use the burst once all appropriate spells are gone.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Titan in the Playground

Q204

Would 2 clawed arms stack for +8 "effective strength" when two handing a weapon?
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 201 No.

An Animated Object has only the attacks listed for the monster. Its original properties before animation do not add extra attack options.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Ettin in the Playground

A 204

No. Claw attacks do not have any inherent STR bonus. As all natural attacks each claw either uses the character's STR bonus or half the character's STR bonus depending on whether the claws are primary or secondary natural attacks.

Claws on arms that wield weapons cannot be used at all.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    A 204

No. Claw attacks do not have any inherent STR bonus. As all natural attacks each claw either uses the character's STR bonus or half the character's STR bonus depending on whether the claws are primary or secondary natural attacks.

Claws on arms that wield weapons cannot be used at all.
    Q204 Clarification

I should be more specific, as I guess my initial question is pretty ambiguous. I mean the clawed arm graft from fiend folio. It gives a +4 untyped bonus to strength for anything done with the arm, including wielding weapons. If you had 2 of these arms, would the bonus stack to +8 while wielding a weapon in both hands?
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Ettin in the Playground

A 204

Still no. While the bonus is untyped, both bonuses come from the same source (clawed arm). Bonuses from the same source (even untyped ones) do not stack.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Q 205
    If a cleric has an ability that consumes uses of turn/rebuke undead attempts as well as a domain that grants the ability to turn/rebuke some other sort of creature, can the cleric use the secondary turn uses to activate that ability?
    For example, could a cleric with the fire domain use his ability to turn water creatures in order to fuel the Sacred Healing feat?
    Last edited by Vaern; 2015-02-05 at 03:45 PM.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Titan in the Playground

A 205: It varies, but usually no.

Some abilities state only that you must use a turn attempt to use them, and some variant forms of turning say that they can be used in place of Turn Undead. However, most abilities that use turn attempts specifically say "turn undead", and most variant forms of turning lack the language about being used in place of turn undead. In particular, turn water creatures cannot fuel sacred healing.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

11. - Top - End - #431
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 205 No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Healing
    Prerequisite: Ability to turn undead.
    Benefit: As a swift action, you can expend a turn undead attempt no augment your ability to tend to the wounds of others.
    There are a few Divine feats which are based on ability to turn/rebuke something other than Undead (example: Elemental Healing), but in each case you must have the specific turn/rebuke ability, and some other turn/rebuke ability does not help you.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Titan in the Playground

Q 206

Is there any means (items, feats, templates etc.) for a creature of the Construct (not Living Construct) type to gain CHA (or any other score) as bonus to hit points per hit die?

13. - Top - End - #433
    Barbarian in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Q207

Can a character use the Sun School feat whilst wearing armour?

14. - Top - End - #434
    Ettin in the Playground

A 207

Partially. Inexorable Progress of Dawn does not work, because you cannot use Flurry of Blows with armor. Blinding Sun of Noon and Flash of Sunset do not require actions that are impossible with armor.

15. - Top - End - #435

Quote Originally Posted by zergling.exe View Post
    Q 190

How do a Master Transmogrifist's Extended Change and Effortless Change interact with shapechange?

Tangentially related, how do they interact with a fifth level Warshaper's Multimorph ability?
    Reposting for new page.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Q208

Does the hideous blow invocation provoke attacks of opportunity?

Q209

How does a Suglin (from frostburn) interact with the Hideous blow invocation. Assuming you do not have the improved Suglin use feat.
    Last edited by Yogibear41; 2015-02-06 at 02:05 AM.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Pixie in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Q 210

Does the soulfire enhancement protect you from the ability damage of shadows and other undead?
    Last edited by Coldsturm; 2015-02-06 at 02:54 AM.

18. - Top - End - #438
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Q:211 Savage species p.215
    Spoiler: Text
    Show
    Abilities: Str by size
    change, Dex by size
    change, Con by size
    change, Int becomes 11,
    Wis +2, Cha +4. See Table
    A–58.
    Are the modifiers for size included in the table A-58 ? What are we supposed to do with the set number (11) intelligence when creating anthropomorphic animals as playing characters ?

Edit: In short: are the modifiers in the table final ? If not, wich one I have to put on top ?
    Last edited by unbutu; 2015-02-06 at 01:24 PM.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Firbolg in the Playground

Q212

Can a Stunned character still concentrate on a spell? Say, Detect Magic for example?

20. - Top - End - #440
    Titan in the Playground

A 212

No. You cannot take actions while stunned. Concentrating on detect magic requires a standard action.

21. - Top - End - #441
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 211

This template shorthand references Monster Manual Table 4–2: Changes to Statistics by Size (also available here). Start with the size of the original Animal, then apply all the adjustments for the new size. You get a starting INT of 11, always.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2015-02-06 at 03:07 PM.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 213

If a creature has a racial Ex ability that gives it immunity to some form of effect (not talking about Spell Resistance), can it voluntarily choose to forgo that immunity? I did not think so, but I recall someone mentioning something akin to this a while back, saying it was from PHB I or II....
    Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    Ugh. For the record, I hate you. I hate you very much.
    The Voidstone Arsenal

The Redeemery

Feat-buying resource

Magical Plants and Where to Find Them

Floating Disk Utility

Taking 10 resource

23. - Top - End - #443

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jowgen View Post
    Q 213

If a creature has a racial Ex ability that gives it immunity to some form of effect (not talking about Spell Resistance), can it voluntarily choose to forgo that immunity? I did not think so, but I recall someone mentioning something akin to this a while back, saying it was from PHB I or II....
    A 213

That someone may have meant this passage from page 177 of the Player's Handbook.
    Voluntarily Giving up a Saving Throw: A creature can voluntarily forego a saving throw and willingly accept a spell’s result. Even a character with a special resistance to magic (for example, an elf’s resistance to sleep effects) can suppress this quality.
    Last edited by Duke of Urrel; 2015-02-06 at 08:57 PM.

24. - Top - End - #444
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Q 214

Do the penalties from the psionic powers "Demoralize" and "Inflict Pain" stack with each other?

25. - Top - End - #445
    Ettin in the Playground

A 214

Yes. Both powers inflict unnamed penalties and two different powers are different sources.

26. - Top - End - #446

A 190
    Metamagic is applied when a spell is cast. If a Master Transmografist casts Shapechange to turn into one of its favored shapes, the spell would gain the benefits of the Extend, Still, and Silent Spell feats. However, If a Master Transmografist casts Shapechange to turn into something that is not a favored shape, the spell would be cast normally. Any subsequent changes of form, whether from the normal function of Shapechange or from the Warshaper's Multimorph ability, will have no metamagic effect on the spell.

A 208
    Hideous Blow will not provoke attacks of opportunity unless it is used with a weapon that would normally do so, such as a whip.

A 209
    As a full-round action, the Warlock can make one attack against an opponent's regular AC. If the attack hits, it deals normal suglin damage plus Eldritch Blast damage.

A 210
    Sometimes. You need to look at the individual monster entries to be sure. For instance, soulfire will protect against a shadow's strength damage, because that is listed as a negative energy effect. A vampire's blood drain does not have that language though, so soulfire will not protect against its constitution drain.

27. - Top - End - #447
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ranagrande View Post
    A 208
    Hideous Blow will not provoke attacks of opportunity unless it is used with a weapon that would normally do so, such as a whip.
    Clarification/Correction:

Hitting with a weapon that has hideous blow applied does not provoke an AoO, but applying that feature to the weapon does, just like any other usage of Eldritch Blast. So if you attack with a whip or another weapon which provokes AoOs you will provoke two.

28. - Top - End - #448

BardGuy

Q 215
    If a character progresses through a spellcaster prestige class that doesn't have full spellcasting progression, does that character's effective caster level still increase at levels which don't grant spells known or spells per day?
    Last edited by Vaern; 2015-02-07 at 03:17 PM.

29. - Top - End - #449

Daemon

Q 216

If a rogue has concealment (blur spell) and is being observed, can it still hide?

30. - Top - End - #450
    Halfling in the Playground

A216

No. The spell Blur grants concealment, which does allow a character to attempt a Hide attempt. However, if the character is being observed at all, he or she cannot attempt to Hide. Since Blur does not make a character invisible, or otherwise un-observable, a character being observed while under the effect of Blur cannot attempt to Hide. (Addendum: Of course, a character who cannot be seen usually does not need to make a Hide attempt.)

Relevant text:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD, PHB p. 76
    You need cover or concealment in order to attempt a Hide check. Total cover or total concealment usually (but not always; see Special, below) obviates the need for a Hide check, since nothing can see you anyway.

If people are observing you, even casually, you can’t hide. You can run around a corner or behind cover so that you’re out of sight and then hide, but the others then know at least where you went.
    (Edit - Addendum)
    Last edited by Denver; 2015-02-07 at 05:52 PM.