New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: TW: Spire City II IC

Spoiler: Internal (GM Only)
    Show
    Yup, I'm gathering that they aren't loot; as such, I'd like to treat them as prisoners, as you say. Guess I'll clarify a few things here, as Ascaloth suggests I'm missing something!

My understanding is as following:
    The setting: The three of our forces showed up, and the homonculi promptly surrendered. All three forces are still currently present, and the homonculi are still with us at the raid location.

The politics: I've requested from the Stone guard and the Spire guard to withdraw from the scene, taking some of the homonculi that surrendered to Dustmire's golems with us. To my understanding, the stone guard has agreed that such is our right, but they would prefer to interrogate the prisoners together. While I respect their preference, are opting to interrogate them privately regardless.

I've yet to hear back from the Argent, and Lyrica is now asking that we release everything back to her.

Is this accurate, or have I misunderstood?

2. - Top - End - #362
    Troll in the Playground

Argent - Dustmire Dirtlings
    Spoiler
    Show

I would consider it rather more proper for this matter to be taken care of by the police. It is not as though homonculi can be interrogated in the same way as ordinary criminals, no doubt the reason they were used here, and so we plan to bring the suspects to Miss Springsong herself for her to investigate what commands they have been given.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    Trusting Murska worked out great!
    Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    A Murska without lies is like a day without sunshine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Troll in the Playground

The Stone Guard to Atelier Lyrica, Spire Guard, Dustmire Dirtlings
    Spoiler
    Show
    We are willing to let Alchemist Springsong examine the homonculi, but we are not releasing custody of them at this time. They are either responsible for their own crimes or our only link to those truly responsible. And either way we have no intention of losing track of them.

The Stone Guard to Dustmire Dirtlings
    Spoiler
    Show
    Perhaps we were unclear when we said retain. We aren't unwilling to let you interrogate the homonculi. We are however uncertain what you could hope to gain by doing so in private that you would not be able to obtain with the rest of us present.

(To clarify the Stone Guard do believe that it is your right to have a say in the disposition of the prisoners and to interrogate them. However they also view the prisoners as being people with their own rights even if they are thieves. Not property to be divvied up among the participants. They don't view the prisoners themselves as yours, but rather the information about who ultimately was responsible for the thefts as being your right to know. And they don't currently see any reason why you would need to actually cart the prisoners off to get that information. Especially since they also regard it as their own right to know whatever you might get out of them.

As for Atelier Lyrica. Lyrica is requesting that, but the Stone Guard don't want to just give them to her either for similar reasons. Since these homonculi are the only links to the organization of thieves who were responsible.)

4. - Top - End - #364

BlueKnightGuy

The Dustmire Dirtlings [12]:
    Spoiler: To the Argent
    Show
    With respect, Emperor, we fear you have just admitted to the Spire Guard’s shortcomings. While it is a force to be reckoned with, as the results of the raid would surely attest, to outsource the interrogations to Lyrica would suggest the police is not the best suited for job. I do not intend this as insult, of course. The homunculi are unique creatures to be question indeed- for they are not fully sentient and cannot be handled like standard criminals. How fortunate it is, however, that Dustmire specializes in dealing with things that lack complete sentience.

I would state that Dustmire is suited for the task, but more importantly, I would stress that the Atelier is not. We have, and have had, reason to believe that Lyrica was the one to conduct the orders herself. To return her children-- her
    Agents to her-- let alone let her conduct the interrogations..! No other action would throw off our trail faster.

Forget our suspicions. That she has been avoiding our questioning for months now; that she had been acting increasingly dodgy just before the theft; that she had detailed knowledge of the deal itself- forget all of it. Ask yourself this: homunculi are not fully sentient. They do not care for their own wellbeing, and that is what enables them as fierce and capable mercenaries.
    Why would they surrender?

Had not their mother told them to.

She knew we were coming for them in force, Emperor. Do not be so quick to return them.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Ogre in the Playground

Atelier Lyrica
    Loyalty: 6

Spoiler: To the Argent, the Stone Guard, the Dustmire Dirtlings
    Show
    That is agreeable to me. My main concern is for the well-being of my rogue children, and if they have to remain in the custody of the Spire Guard or the Stone Guard after I have ascertained such, so be it.

With love,
    Lyrica Springsong
    Total War Factions
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #366
    Troll in the Playground

Argent - Dustmire Dirtlings
    Spoiler
    Show

Keep in mind that the crime committed was against Lyrica, and it is her choice whether to press charges. You are entirely unrelated to the theft incident, and the question of possible late delivery of goods is an entirely different matter, of corporate law rather than criminal. Aside from that, outside experts not being neutral in the case is entirely possible, and that is why we will not release custody of the suspects before the investigation is concluded - not to you, who have just brought up your own capacity to utilize Homonculi for criminal tasks if you so choose, and not to Lyrica. If you wish to examine them in our presence, just like Lyrica is allowed to, then I have nothing in particular against that.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

7. - Top - End - #367

BlueKnightGuy

Spoiler: To the Argent
    Show
    We may not be as non-victimized as you suspect. We do not like the circumstances, nor the way they are being played. However, that does not change the fact that you are the Emperor- and the lowly Dirtlings are outspoken on the matter.

Continue with your proceedings, Emperor. We will watch carefully.

Spoiler: To the Atelier Lyrica
    Show
    ((OOC: Consider that last message retcon'd; thanks again for the chance for me to clear things up!))

8. - Top - End - #368
    Ogre in the Playground

Atelier Lyrica

Spoiler: To the Argent, the Dustmire Dirtlings, the Stone Guard
    Show
    I consent to leaving my children in your collective custody, but please bring them to the Atelier so that I may examine their condition. I will be awaiting all of you here.

With love,
    Lyrica Springsong

Spoiler: Revelations (PM) (The Argent, Dustmire Dirtlings, Dawn Syndicate, Stone Guard)
    Show
    At the front gate of the Atelier Lyrica which bears her name, the Alchemist of Spire City waited to receive her guests. Around her, burlap-robed Homonculi mill around and act as her attendants, while their Combat brethren stood stoic and resplendent in their crystalline armor, ceaselessly vigil for any signs of threat.

Lyrica Springsong herself stood in a demure posture, hands clasped in front of her. Her golden locks and the hems of her flowery dress floated in the slight breeze that had picked up in the vicinity. Though time had not seemed to touch her even slightly, though she looked just the same as she did on the first day that she was introduced to them - which is a fairly long time for at least one of her visitors indeed - her demeanor, on the other hand, was in stark contrast to the bubbly, careless young girl that they are more familiar with.

Instead, there was a solemn, almost melancholy air about her. She never looked more befitting of her true status as a master of her craft, as she did in this very moment.
    Total War Factions
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #369

BlueKnightGuy

Spoiler: The Meeting (Pm)
    Show
    Cecil Earthencraft, the elder of Dustmire, steps forward through the Atelier’s doors. He wears the same overcoat he did when he'd first met Lyrica, the same smile, too; it is a much quieter energy, however. One of his guardian golems makes motion to salute the diminutive thing, but he dismisses the action preemptively. He takes his seat at the rear of the room, smiling quietly, without having said a word

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ogre in the Playground

Titan Shipping
    Public Announcement

Titan Shipping has normalized travel to the sea of storms. Any business ventures or prospective travelers are encouraged to inquire on route availability.

Spoiler: midturn
    Show

Airships, Gegral, and I don't really remember which of my stats is where, but something will travel to the Totem Mountains with the gathered construction materials to expand the fortress there

11. - Top - End - #371

BlueKnightGuy

The Dustmire Dirtlings [12]::
    Spoiler: To Titan Shipping
    Show
    Hello Gegral, Hello! It has been some time!

My craftsmen and I are particularly interested in the success of your expedition. With new frontiers- unknown and undiscovered, there lies untold potential and promise. In particular, we are interested in new and unique building materials.

Materials unique to this city, which we would pay you for handsomely.
    Should you find something- anything which might interest us- and make us your sole clients for it... I believe it would hold new frontiers for us both.

Alternatively, Dustmire would be happy to send an expeditionary crew of our own to search across the seas for unknown elements. Perhaps a joint trade would also interest you, if you do not wish to look for it on your own? All we would need to know then is the cost of transporting us.

In any case, do tell me about your travels some time! I do love a good story from far away lands.

Congratulations on your successful journey!
    -Cecil Earthencraft

Spoiler: The Meeting (PM)
    Show
    Cecil rasps twice on his cane, shifting his eyes between the attendants of the room, grinning slightly.

"Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but I *am* up to my brim with curiosity, Miss Springsong." His tone is non-threatening as ever, and he congratulates himself mentally for not sending Cobblegrit.

"And I could go on for days if I explored every one of my inquiries. I'd make minstrels and storytellers jealous, no doubt, but I'll spare my questions for now. Why don't you begin by telling us your take on the matter, Miss Springsong?"

Spoiler: To the House Forestier
    Show
    Hello Madame!

The time has come to finally research that product we had previously spoken of. Tell me- are you still intending to send us a stock of your rejuvenation elixir, to join us in its research and development? Or shall I be purchasing a supply on my own?

Eagerly,
    -Cecil Earthencraft]

Spoiler: To the House of Knowledge
    Show
    The arrangements are made, then. You can expect us at [Midturn]. Be ready for us... it will be quite the show.

Spoiler: Internal (GM only)
    Show
    I'll try to get my midturn up saturday or sunday night at the latest. it should be inconsequential for what I had in mind, but could you remind me my current stats, just to know what I'm working with? Thanks!
    Last edited by Devilfish; 2015-07-17 at 12:01 PM.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Troll in the Playground

The Meeting [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show

The Emperor of Spire City, Eryn Loboniva, arrives in a resplendent carriage flanked by a number of old, harsh-faced Royal Guards. None of the palace pretty boys here. He waves for most of them to remain behind, bringing just four of them along as he enters. He nods lightly at first Lyrica and then Cecil.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ogre in the Playground

Atelier Lyrica

Show
    Lyrica returned the Emperor's bow with one of her own, before turning back to Cecil. She glanced to the side, as if to see if the SEU was arriving anytime soon, before turning back to him.

"I would, Ser Cecil. But I honestly believe it would be better if I were to show, rather than tell."

"But before that, I would like to examine at least one of my children, in order to confirm my suspicions. Your Imperial Majesty, may Lyrica ask if they will be brought around soon?"
    Total War Factions
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #374
    Troll in the Playground

The Meeting
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lyrica's question is answered by the timely arrival of the Stone Guard contingent. At the fore is Captain Ironleaf a slender elf who would rather do something for the city than ride the winds with his elders. Trailing him is a motley assortment of other guards of all races whose only similarity is their well crafted Stone Guard armor. They have brought one of the captured homonculi for examination.

"Mistress Springsong it is good to meet you in person at last. My mage's are most eager to witness your work."

House Forestier to Dustmire Dirtlings
    Spoiler
    Show
    We have already begun the research you speak of. The question is whether you want to negotiate access to our findings or do the work yourself.

House of Knowledge to the Dustmire Dirtlings

Spoiler
    Show
    We are not sure what you are planning. We already have an entity such as you intend to create, and we see no need to duplicate that effort. We are willing to conduct other work with you, but you seem intent on carrying out your first proposal.
    Last edited by ArcaneStomper; 2015-07-17 at 11:08 PM.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Ogre in the Playground

Atelier Lyrica

Show
    Lyrica turned and nodded primly to Captain Ironleaf in greeting.

"Likewise, Ser Ironleaf. Would that it be in less serious circumstances than we're seeing today. In any case, you have my gratitude for bringing one of my rogue children to me, safe and unharmed."

"Now, with the permission of everyone gathered here today, I shall like to commence my examination, to find out the reason they went rogue and raided my Atelier in the first place."

Lyrica said, as she kneeled down in front of the captured Homonculus, touched both hands to the latter's temples, closed her eyes, and leaned her forehead against the latter's...

Spoiler: Internal (PM)
    Show
    This Internal is to let the rest believe i'm having Lyrica use a Trait this midturn, to examine the Homonculus. In reality, she's just putting on a show; i already know what i want her to say next. Of course, I'm giving everyone else a fair chance to make an objection, before she goes ahead with it.
    Total War Factions
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #376
    Troll in the Playground

The Meeting
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Stone Guard contingent watches patiently waiting for Lyrica to finish her magic.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Bugbear in the Playground

Dawn Syndicate
    Loyalty: 10

Atelier Lyrica (10)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Actually, [40 Dossiers] for [40 Glasteel]. The most I information I can gather at [Midturn].

Titan Shipping (10)
    Spoiler
    Show
    I would request you keep an ear to the ground when it comes to these rumors of war. My contacts among the Duskmen seem worried, and they're not the type to scare easily. It seems they're westward, but you may hear some things among the trade hubs eastward.

Meeting (PM)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Chas Murin, Commander of the Syndicate, enters last of the assembly, flanked by a pair of knights of the Dawn Guard. They stand by, waiting in silence for Lyrica's spell to finish.

[OOC: Not certain if this is resolving at Midturn, or before it.]
    Last edited by Nemesis67; 2015-07-20 at 07:42 PM.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Ogre in the Playground

Atelier Lyrica

Show
    Moments passed, and still Lyrica did not raise her head, concentrating entirely on her silent examination of her rogue Homonculi. At length, the Alchemist finally opened her eyes, with an expression of concern on her face.

"...it's as I feared."

Was all she said at the end, before standing up and looking at the others gathered here. She held out a hand, beckoning them to follow her outside.

"I am all but certain of the cause behind my children going rogue, now. But before I say what it is, I think some context is necessary. There is something I have to show all of you, if you'd follow me this way."

The Alchemist led everyone around to one of the less public areas of the Atelier, a backyard where some of the workshop's alchemical processes were apparently carried out. When they were several paces away from entering the area proper, Lyrica raised a hand to stop them.

"It's not safe to go any further. Please, take a look."

And what the party saw before then was a veritable madhouse, a scene from a lunatic's weirdest dreams. What was one of the Atelier's sheds had become the target of some strange enchantment, for it had transformed entirely into a structure made entirely of bread. Close by, there was a small pool of some golden-looking liquid, and if anyone paid attention, they could catch a whiff of something sickly sweet wafting in from the direction of the pool.

Off to the side, a garden which had been tended by the Homonculi had also been afflicted with the same strange enchantment, and was now an overgrown patch of aggressive, snapping plant-like monstrosities that seem poised to attack anything that comes near. But even that was overshadowed by a spectacular, crystalline structure that twisted skywards and flared out at the top; a second glance revealed it for what it was, an entire tree that had been turned into Glasteel, standing forever frozen in the field where it was planted.

Lyrica herself remained solemnly silent, giving everyone else a few more seconds to take in and process the scene. She then turned back to look at them.

"Here's some context for what you're seeing here. This is caused by a Siphon Spirit residing in the Atelier, feeding off the magical Nexus being generated by the Atelier's many alchemical processes."

"Nexuses, by themselves, are a fairly common occurence in workshops that utilize magic. So too are Siphon Spirits, which gathers at these Nexi to feed off the energies. Both are usually beneath notice, and I would not be surprised if most people did not know of their existence. Neither did I for that matter, until recently."

"Now, it's extremely rare that a workshop generates enough magic in its production processes for this to happen, and as far as I know, my Atelier is one of very few exceptions. However, when the energies emanating from a workshop produces a strong enough Nexus, it causes the Siphon Spirit attached to become greedier, and start consuming increasing amounts of magic. The Spirit's increased activity starts to cause random magical effects... and that is what you're seeing here, at this moment."

Lyrica paused at that, and looked at everyone present in turn.

"Before I continue with how this related to what we're here for today, are there any questions you would like to ask?"
    Total War Factions
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #379

BlueKnightGuy

Dustmire [12]:

Show
    The answer there is simple. You know all that is known- and we wish to know all that is not. To say that we want to create an archmage would be a misnomer, for we do not merely hope for a wizard that is a master in every craft; we wish to create something greater, which will discover spells anew. We wish for the arcanum to be its plaything, fully malleable and understood within its hands. That [i]is why we need your help as best as you can.

In truth, we had originally thought of perfecting our creation in one school of magic at a time- but there is only one which we need to crown over all.

I speak of Divination.

And by the end of [midturn], we will not have made mere a rival to the Divine Eye...

Spoiler
    Show
    Spire city will have an Oracle.

Spoiler: To House Forrestier
    Show
    Aha.

Madaam Forestier, I can safely assure you that whatever you are researching is
    not[i] the product we have in mind. Our offer still stands; otherwise we would like to purchase [10 units] to begin the research of our own. Let us know whichever you prefer[i]

Spoiler: To the Meeting (PM)
    Show
    A few crumbs fall from Cecil's fingertips as he pulls his fingers from his mouth.

"It's pumpernickel!" he remarks in amazement. "And it's preposterous."

"Not to say that it's not true, but it's preposterous nonetheless! Bread huts and deku babas? You're right to coin it as lunacy, certainly." Cecil briefly eyes the glasteel tree, and considers purchasing it for a discount; he ultimately dismisses the thought.

"My concern, now that's the question. Dustmire is soon to be engaged in some very magic-heavy processes ourselves. But then again, we have been for some time. Why have similar ailments not fallen upon us, I wonder? But perhaps I should count my blessings... How much do you know about controlling these spirits? Lest my creations take on some- *hem*- unspecified characteristics?"

20. - Top - End - #380
    Ogre in the Playground

Titan Shipping

Spoiler: Dustmire Dirtlings
    Show

we can't go across the seas yet, only to them. We will shortly be forwarding the rest of the payment for your submersible to that effect. We will keep an eye out for materials.

Spoiler: Dawn Syndicate
    Show

We have heard nothing so far. The Empire of Right Thinking is on a warpath, but poses no threat to the Spire and has shown no hostility towards us. We will tap our connections in Kartesh for possible leads.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Troll in the Playground

House Forestier to Dustmire Dirtlings
    Spoiler
    Show
    If you feel that your research is not in line with our research, then we have nothing to respond with. As obviously you haven't told us any details. We are of course willing to sell you the elixir, since it is in fact on the public market. But we aren't going to fund research that we have no details of.

House of Knowledge to Dustmire Dirtlings
    Spoiler
    Show
    You seem to be under the mistaken impression that the House of Knowledge is merely an archive rather than a living entity fully capable of research and spell construction. Most normal wizards and archmages discover new spells all the time. That is the main drive of most of them. So we are not certain what exactly you are trying to add to our abilities.

Indeed divination is a different subject entirely from the discovery of spells and research of the arcane.

The Meeting (Not really much of a PM when pretty much every faction is here.)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Captain Ironleaf looks at the chaotic scene with an inscrutable expression. "I believe I see where you are going with this, but please go on."
    Last edited by ArcaneStomper; 2015-07-27 at 09:10 AM.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ogre in the Playground

Atelier Lyrica

Spoiler: The Meeting (Still a PM, because Titan Shipping is missing out on all the fun and games)
    Show
    "There are indeed counter-measures available for keeping these Siphon Spirits in check, Ser Cecil, though these are as little-known as the existence of these Spirits themselves. But when things have advanced to the stage we're seeing here, it's essentially uncharted territory. As far as I can glean from a reasonable amount of research, a Siphon Spirit that can cause random effects to such an intensity as we're seeing here may well have achieved self-awareness. There are no known ways of leashing such an entity, at least that I am aware of."

Lyrica replied to Cecil's inquiry, shaking her head. She seemed to hold her gaze on the elderly dirtling for a moment longer than is usual for her, but then it passed, and she was looking at the rest of the party.

"That is not to say nothing can be done whatsoever, for Lyrica does have an idea for what to do, and would be trying it out soon. But I must impress upon all of you the danger this Spirit poses to the Spire... especially in your case, Ser Murin, for you have been a great help in determining the actual cause of all this. In return, Lyrica poses this hypothesis; the self-aware Siphon Spirit may well be key to the origins of that strange, unearthly part of the Spire that we know as the Silence."

The Alchemist continued, addressing the commander of the Dawn Syndicate. She then clapped her hands in front of her face, to draw their attention to what she had to say next.

"But that is that, and this is this. Like Lyrica said, here be dragons, and all of what I'm going to say from this point onward is based only on personal experience. I don't think you'll find any accounts outside of my anecdotes on account of the rarity of such incidences, but still. Nevertheless, it still bears saying."

"Lyrica thinks these effects aren't entirely random. In fact, I think the Spirit must be able to tap into my subconscious to some degree when I'm nearby. I say this, because that..."

She gestured in the direction of the bread-crafted shed, as well as the golden pool next to it.

"...happened, at a time when I was feeling peckish. Not that the effect is much use to Lyrica, since there's still bits of wood in the bread making up that shed. There's pool water in the Ambrosia too, so it's quite undrinkable. These effects tend to have something to do with what Lyrica is thinking at the moment, yet never quite happens in the way I'd like. And there's no stopping it."

Lyrica gestured next to the garden of horrors, and the Glasteel tree.

"Same thing, at other times when I wished my herb garden could take care of itself. And when I wondered idly if I could make Glasteel grow from trees. I can't say it's beyond all doubt, but it can't be coincidence either. Especially not after I've taken a look at my rogue children; in fact, I'm even more convinced that this is the case."

And at that point, she turned towards Cecil Earthencraft. The expression and body language of the petite girl was no longer that of bubbly Lyrica Springsong, but the foreboding gravitas of the Alchemist of Spire City.

"After all, my children went rogue shortly after I learned the Dustmire Dirtling were building a gigantic golem, with the power to destroy the Spire itself. Along with everyone in it."

The Alchemist stepped into the midst of the backyard that not so long ago had been such a peaceful refuge, an oasis in the midst of the bustling activity that pervaded the entirety of the Atelier. But an oasis it was no more; it had become a strange, eldritch landscape where the sights failed to make any sense upon first glance. How the storage shed kept standing even after transmogrification into a structure of soft bread remained a mystery, and the pool of water adulterated with Ambrosia had shown no signs of fermentation even weeks after it first appeared. The monstrous plants that had taken over the garden weren't wilting despite lack of watering, and the crystal tree cast an unearthly rainbow over everything.

She took another step, and shifted to the side just in time for a bolt of raw magic to whiz past her ear. Even with the smell of burnt hair lingering in the air, Lyrica seemed unperturbed as she trod lightly on the grass. She stopped at a spot, seeming to think about what she needed to do next.

Then, she knelt down, clasped her hands together, and assumed a praying position. It was never something that the Alchemist saw much recourse for, but Lyrica had found that the position, in itself, seemed to be conducive for a calm state of mind. And a calm mind was what she needed at this point, for what she was about to do next had never, as far as she was aware, ever been done before, by anyone in all of Spire City. There was no way to tell if it would work, or if ever there was any chance of it working in the first place. Still, it had to be tried.

"I bid thee, hear my words and harken."

Lyrica murmured, her eyes closed in concentration, even as more bolts of energy whizzed past her, singing more of her hair and the fabric of her dress.

"I open my heart to thee. Hear my thoughts, and I bid thee, let me hear yours."

Spoiler: Mid-turn (GM)
    Show
    Trading

Deliver 40 Glasteel to the Dawn Syndicate, in exchange for 40 Dossiers.

Industry

42.5 Industry will be used to make Wealth.

Knowledge

30 Knowledge will be used to make Runes.

VIP Action: Lyrica Springsong

Using her expertise of [Soul Alchemy] as a basis, Lyrica will attempt to establish a means of communicating with the Siphon Spirit in her Atelier.
    Last edited by Ascaloth; 2015-08-03 at 09:32 AM.
    Total War Factions
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #383

Dawn Syndicate

Meeting (PM)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Looking up from the notes he's been taking, Commander Murin nods when addressed. Then sits back to watch the happenings.

Midturn (GM)
    Spoiler
    Show
    [OOC: Personally, I'd suggest Midturn happen after the meeting ends. Or at least when this current conversation ends. It is the pivot point of the game, at least in the short term. This is, to some degree, an acknowledgement of guilt on the part of Lyrica. The Dirtlings may react with a call for justice, or vengeance. And the Stone Guard could easily turn against them in this.

Anyways, I'll think up what to write for the fluff of this and do that tomorrow after work. Here are the crunchy bits:

Quote Originally Posted by DRAFT
    The Undercity was a blight on the Spire. A rotting cancer spreading its filth through the roots of the city. And, much like a cancer, it had to be fought with fire and death. Those caught in the crossfire died in pursuit of a better tomorrow. For others, if not for them. The operations against the Lost Ones were simply the beginning. They were vultures, picking away at the corpses left behind by the true kingpins of the underworld. And as the gang lords marched in endless war upon one another, shedding blood and lives in the shadow of the City of Resplendent Towers, the Syndicate began picking off the wildcards.
    34 Knowledge build Runes.

40.5 Rumors build Dossiers and trade them to Lyrica, as soon as she delivers 40 Glasteel.

28 Agents once more march upon the Lost Ones. Steal what I can, burn the rest. I intend to eliminate the smaller powers of the Undercity. One by one.]

24. - Top - End - #384

BlueKnightGuy

Spoiler: To House Forestier
    Show
    Very well, Madame. 10 units for 10 wealth- and our exchange shall end there. For now, perhaps.

Show
    Truly, you have shown us how much we have still to learn: for after offering to seek what is known, and what is not, we no longer know how to collaborate with a house of Knowledge!

Perhaps at this junction, we will settle for learning for our own purposes. We shall pay your admittance of [1 wealth,] and pay a visit to your libraries this [midturn].

Oh. And do be a dear?

Clear the bridge.

Spoiler: The meeting (PM)
    Show

The Dirtling Elder stares into Springsong's gaze for a long, hard moment.

“That is not public information,” Cecil begins. Slowly. Deliberately.
    “Which means that someone must have spied on me. Someone whose couriers then after incited uproar with the Emperor, which nearly put a chopping block and guillotine about my head.
    Someone who now seeks to paint me a villain, before the greater eyes of Spire City.

“Someone like you, Lyrica.”

The dirtling’s smile finally cracks. Like the distant eruption of a dormant volcano, its gentle features fissure and crumble. And in its place… something terrible, molten, and seething with contempt.

“How PRECISELY do you expect me to respond to this?

“May I remind our good company that while Dustmire has peacefully underwent its tinkerings, the Atelier has not only LOST control of its agents, caused PANIC among the factions in the process, and may STILL be drawing the wool over our eyes with some shoddy alibi as “rogue” children, but NOW,

“Now she has drawn some sort of ARCANE SPIRIT into our city-- which she both attests to how DANGEROUS it is and admits to no certainty as to how to DEAL with the monstrosity!”

He stops to breathe. It is the slow and smoldering air of red dragon; bating its breath from releasing hellfire within. Cecil Earthencraft, no child prodigiy-made Alchemist of the Spire, no long-established name meriting caution or respect, has still yet to make a name for himself despite his works, it seems. With great effort, and pain upon his grizzled face, he lifts his cane high above his head where it lingers as some internal conflict rages within the Dirtling’s head. In its last moment, his senses seem to return to his face, where he gasps out inaudibly and goes ghostly pale.

He gently brings the cane’s point back down betwixt his feet.

After all his noise, the impact seems so small.

Spoiler: …
    Show
    Show
    Show

“I have grinned, and I have endured, and I have forgiven your every prod, Miss Springsong. And now I endure no longer."

He turns to the Alchemist, stone-faced, with resolute, stoic expression in his voice. “I have settled the affair of my Golem with the Emperor. How do you respond towards your own wrongdoings?”

Spoiler: Internal (GM Only)
    Show
    [OOC: If possible, I’d like to hear Ascaloth’s response before I act. An important decision is laid before me, and it could affect how I act for the remainder of the game. Please let me know if this is ok.

Also, (and I hate to ask a third time :x), but could you please notify me on my stats? It will also help guide me in how I play my [midturn]
    Last edited by Devilfish; 2015-07-28 at 10:48 AM.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Ogre in the Playground

Atelier Lyrica

Show
    "But I already have, Ser Cecil. I too, have thrown myself at the mercy of His Imperial Majesty for my failings."

The Alchemist responded in a quiet, eerie tone. A breeze picked up and wafted through her golden locks, sending strands floating slightly in the air. With a quick glance at the Emperor, Lyrica Springsong turned her gaze back towards the elderly chief of the Dirtlings, and took a small step towards him.

"I stand by my statement, that my children went rogue due to the influence of the Spirit. Yet I know it may seem a 'shoddy alibi' to you, Ser Cecil. It does not matter; either way, the very thought did originate from my mind. I am rightly culpable, and I have told His Imperial Majesty as much."

She took another step towards Cecil. A foreboding pressure was palpable, yet no hint of malice was to be had from the Alchemist. Just a pressure that defied description.

"[70 Units] of Glasteel all at once, that is an order that cannot escape suspicion by its very magnitude. My motivation to pry might have been anything. It may be my wish to keep tabs on a competitor, or paranoia that an army is being assembled in secret for some unknown reason. It does not matter; either way, I have spied on the doings of your people, Ser Cecil. And I have told His Imperial Majesty as much."

Another step. The pressure built up, uncomfortable, but not painful.

"I have indeed, unknowingly, incubated a Siphon Spirit to the point of self-awareness. And in so doing, brought about a danger to the Spire with no obvious resolution for the moment. And it is true, I have kept this a secret from everyone, if only out of a desire to avoid a general panic. But now, I make it public knowledge to each and every one of you here today. And I do this, in the hopes that I may stave off an even greater tragedy, Ser Cecil."

"One that you, and your people, have brought about with your collective hands."

She paused at that, keeping Cecil fixed in her gaze. The pressure now felt like a rising wave, crashing down on the rocks.

"I do not call you villain, Ser Cecil. I still don't, in all sincerity. But I do call you unwise, a failing that even your venerable age does not make you immune to. And unwisdom is more often the source of catastrophe, than malice is."

"For seeking a means of exodus from the Spire for your people, and creating instead a weapon that threatens the very Spire itself and all who reside in it. Whatever your true intentions may be, I call you unwise."

"For hiding your doings behind a magical Veil, and obscuring it beneath a general shroud of secrecy. For breeding mistrust of your intentions as the price of hiding your workings from others, I call you unwise."

"For concentrating a massive amount of magical energy to make your Golem move - for how else would you achieve that feat? - not even pausing for a moment, to consider what sort of consequences may be wrought from your people's brazen overreach..."

At this, Lyrica paused for several moments, drawing out the tension.

And then, she dropped the bombshell.

"...for the amount of magic your people needed to animate your massive Golem, it must have been at least equivalent to the amount that courses through my Atelier. Even more than that, in all likelihood. Ser Cecil, you too have an immensely powerful, self-aware Siphon Spirit on your hands."

"And where mine is sequestered in my Atelier, unable to do much more than cause random magical effects with unintended consequences? Yours, Ser Cecil, is contained within your Golem. Engorged on the magic your people feed it on a daily basis, and most likely tapping on the collective subconscious of each and every of the countless Dirtlings in your care. A recipe for insanity in a sentient being, if ever I have heard of one."

"Ser Cecil, there is an intelligence of uncertain motivations, possibly insane, in control of your prodigious weapon capable of leveling the very Spire. At any time, at any point, it may do just that at the slightest provocation, or even none at all. Even as I speak, we are in dire peril, all of us."

"And that is the doing of you and your people, Ser Cecil. For that, I call you unwise."
    Total War Factions
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #386
    Troll in the Playground

The Meeting [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show

"Calm down. You have both made mistakes, and you have both had your reasons. When I learned of the Golem, I took measures - I made sure the Iron Knights are capable of dealing with it if necessary, I studied the architecture of the Spire and I informed the top officials of the Imperial Guard of the matter. But do you know what I did first? I went to Cecil and asked him to tell me what the project was about. Not telling me in the first place, I feel, was a mistake. But I don't expect malice from you. Either of you. And mistakes are made to be fixed, and then learned from.

This Siphon Spirit is new to me as well. But while I am sure your concerns are well founded, do keep in mind that the Spire is older than any civilization we have ever found any evidence of. And our Empire is older than any nation we know of that still exists today. We are, at the edge of it, tougher than it would seem."
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #387

BlueKnightGuy

Spoiler: To Titan Shipping
    Show
    Ah, we were wondering when that was finally going to come through! Rest assured, rest assured! We have not yet forgotten about you.

We will complete our production of your seafaring vessel roughly the same time that the completed payment is transferred to us. Will that be this [midturn?]

Eagerly,
    -Cecil Earthencraft

Show
    Lyrica’s imposing advance was impressive, that’s for certain. A lesser man would have crumbled within her first few steps; Even a stone-faced Valiant may have succumbed to her latter ones. Lyrica Springsong strode forward with the presence to whether a creature of stone and dirt itself.

But not a dirtling Chieftain.
    ((OOC: My reaction: loved it))

…The bombshell seems to have made it’s mark though.
    Hey kids! Chieftain Earthencraft here!

Did you know that the Titan’s heart is an Arcane dynamo? It’s true! Magical energies grow weaker as they venture further from the Spire, but the Titan’s heart can pump out enough power to keep this bad boy moving indefinitely! It would be the only bastion of magical energy for miles, ha-ha!
    ((OOC: My reaction: OH GODDAMNIT.))

“What” Cecil erupted, hobbling forward to meet Lyrica’s approach, nearly throwing his cane across aside before stumbling and settling into place. There was anger to his tone, oh yes. But it was matched by an equal part of concern, blending into some viscous mixture trying to find an equilibrium.

“Lyrica- have you any wisdom yourself, then listen to me. The Titan has helped me create something wonderful- something powerful, intended just for it. If you are telling me that this Spirit has been playing along this whole time just to get a hand on it…”

His brow furrowed forward like a rockslide. He beckoned for his cane, and wordlessly stepped off for a distance, pacing nervously back and forth along the room. Thoughts and emotions worked feverishly across his face, and when approached by one of his golems, it was only met by an abruptly raised hand. What if there were all an elaborate ruse to scare him? After all, what is a golem but a heap of dead things given form and function by him- for his will. But what if Lyrica were right? That his labor and love had been poured all this time into a creation that would ultimately lead to their destruction?

After several minutes, the dirtling’s pacing slowed. It’s expression became more stagnant, and he approached the group again. By now the Emperor has spoken up, and it is an unexpected, but not unwelcome support. It does not come, however, without a firm warning: play nice, you two.

“Lyrica. You have delayed my process dearly in your actions, either conscious or subconsciously. You may have atoned before the Emperor-- but you have not reached redemption before me.”

He straightens himself. His voice grows cold.

“Put a stake on it. How much would you wager- would you personally wager, that what you were saying were true?”

He rasps his fingers along his cane once more.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Ogre in the Playground

Atelier Lyrica

Show
    The Alchemist of Spire City had fallen silent, only mutely acknowledging the Emperor's assurances, observing Cecil Earthencraft's reaction to the bombshell without a word. For the first time, in the memories of anyone and everyone who knew her personally and are in her presence today, Lyrica Springsong looked tired. For the first time, in as long as anyone can remember, she looked weary. Long-standing rumors have posited that the Alchemist was a much older entity than she seemed (it was one explanation for her prodigious level of skill at such a seemingly young age, at any rate), and although her youthful looks had not changed, something in her posture seemed to reflect the weight of that age, if indeed the aforementioned rumors were true. Or perhaps she was just looking older and more worn than her years would suggest.

She shook her head slowly, her golden hair swaying in the wind.

"I'll say it again, Ser Cecil. This is uncharted territory, even for me. I have no idea what your experiences are with the apparent sentient entity in your Golem, Ser Cecil. For my part, these Spirits care only about their continued access to magical energy, even if and when they become self-aware. At least, that is the case for the one in my Atelier; even when it caused unintended effects, even when it had seemingly read my subconscious thoughts in the process, the results - random though they may be - weren't anything that didn't have at least the slightest connection to my own desires. I called it an intelligence, but it seems more of an instinctual one than anything."

"From my experience, I don't believe these Spirits are capable of scheming even when they have attained self-awareness. But that is just from my singular perspective, and from the sound of it, your experiences suggest otherwise. So on this matter, I cannot really say one way or the other."

She stared at Cecil, a look of forlorn conviction in her eyes.

"But on the fact of the existence of these Siphon Spirits themselves... yes, Ser Cecil. I have done my research, and I'll swear on my name. They do exist. They will grow more powerful, more greedy, and gain self-awareness. With your Golem, Ser Cecil, I am certain that there is a self-aware Siphon Spirit within it, and if what it has supposedly been encouraging you to create is a limitless supply of magical energy, I would not be surprised, for consumption of magic is their entire raison d'etre as far as I know. It may perhaps be capable of animating your giant Golem on its own. It may perhaps even be insane, driven mad because it cannot help tapping into the subconscious of your entire people."

"And should that be true, should it cause your Golem to go on a berserk rampage... perhaps the Spire may survive that catastrophe, Your Imperial Majesty. But it would still entail much loss of live from Your subjects, potentially on a scale that would make the Spire's civil wars of years past seem like child's play in comparison."

Lyrica continued, looking at the Emperor and getting around to addressing His point.

"Of course, that too is just conjecture. Maybe an insane Spirit is not something that could actually happen. Again, I cannot say one way or the other. But there is one such Spirit in the Dirtling's Golem itself, I am sure of it."

She then turned back to the Dirtling elder.

"But it's still entirely possible that I might be wrong, Ser Cecil. Perhaps, the Siphon Spirit in your Golem might not be fully mature and self-aware, as yet. It is certainly possible, for there is barely any literature to be had on Spirits that are close to reaching that stage."

"And if that is so, then I think you owe me a measure of gratitude, Ser Cecil. You, and your people. For that would mean I have delivered to you an omen of things to come, before it is too late for your people to nip the problem in the bud."
    Total War Factions
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #389
    Ogre in the Playground

Titan Shipping

Spoiler: Dustmire Dirtlings
    Show

No, not until [EoT] I am afraid, the distances and quantity of goods involved require it. [it is like 6 stats to get it here]

30. - Top - End - #390

Dawn Syndicate

Meeting
    Spoiler: PM
    Show
    "If I may interject... It sounds like a neutral third party should be hired to examine the golem, to confirm whether a siphon spirit resides in its core, and to ascertain whether there is a risk of it going rogue, as I am not certain if Lady Lyrica and Chieftan Eartherncraft would be willing to trust one another being involved in the process. I would suggest my own organization, obviously, as the contractor. "