New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 51 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324252627282930313233343550 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Goblins XV: Klik Here

While trying to avoid getting into a whole long thing: Gez is right. The situation is creepily contrived regardless of whether Bowst is lying. Also: art creates the illusion of presenting us with a real world unfolding. In reality, what we see if a series of the artist's choices. Putting the sex curse in Goblins was the artist's choice. So is everything else in Goblins. Even if the sex curse were a standard D&D curse, this would not absolve the writer of the responsibility to consider whether it should be deployed, and how.

2. - Top - End - #722
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by -D- View Post
    What you mean, not a real part of the web comic? It's been said (and probably done). The curse exists. And its pretty horrible (as in writing, not the effect).
    He was talking about dominic deegan, and yes, that happened. If stonewater was going to save melnas life, he had to claim her, have sex with her, and be able to prove it happened. All this not 5 minutes after melnas parents were killed right in front of her. If he tried to fake it, they both would have died. If he refused, she would die. Needless to say, she wasnt exactly "in the mood" It was an awful situation all the way around, and honestly, I think the biggest issue was Mookie using the phrase "heroic rapist" as a description. Had he just left it as it was and let us draw our own conclusions I think it would have been less of a massive backlash against the guy, because the situation itself from a narrative standpoint could have gone really well in character development. But with mookie trying to portray stonewater as a hero for what he did, well, that didnt work out so well.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

3. - Top - End - #723
    Ogre in the Playground

For me, while what's on the page isn't that bad, when any parallels to the real world are drawn it gets pretty icky, and I imagine the Internet can assume a variety of outrageously offensive authorial intents. A joke about the situation in the comic occurred to me that I find humorous as a play on words, applying the literal meaning of words to a phrase usually meant figuratively, but erm...applied to the real world is seriously not funny. If someone thought I was making a joke of the real world literal meaning then they'd be sure to think of me as Worse Than Pedantic Hitler. The situation in the comic just looks like similarly winding up to hit a hornet's nest with a bat.

4. - Top - End - #724
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Sex means more to some than others.. so far I'm not joining any wagon.

5. - Top - End - #725

AssassinGuy

I'd somehow expect that everyone near the person getting cursed will know about it, via some ominous voice shouting:

"Thou Hath Failed The Test Of Agility!!!
    Be Cursedd With Having Sex Every Day,
    Lest You Die From An Exploding Password**"

[pause for drama]

"and you'll also die if you cut it off, smartypants"

** as in: Your password is not long enough /wink wink, nudge nudge

edit: changed text to match original comic
    Last edited by Agi Hammerthief; 2015-11-29 at 03:34 AM.
    * my emphasis

http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead

6. - Top - End - #726
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Agi Hammerthief View Post
    I'd somehow expect that everyone near the person getting cursed will know about it, via some ominous voice shouting:

"Thou Hath Failed The Test Of Agility!!!
    Be Cursedd With Having Sex Every Day,
    Lest You Die From An Exploding Password**"

[pause for drama]

"and you'll also die if you cut it off, smartypants"

** as in: Your password is too short /wink wink, nudge nudge
    This reminds me of all those Morrowind magic scrolls which said "Thy feet shall be bound" or were pretty unspecific with "Woe upon thee".
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

7. - Top - End - #727
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    I have a vast collection of official and third-party D&D 3rd/3.5th edition source books, and I can tell you that none of them contain traps inflicting random daily curses such as those inflicted to Bowst and Idle. That's not a D&D thing. That's not an "it's how their world works" thing. It's entirely an "it's what Thunt decided to put in his story" thing.
    Creator of origional content decides to put mechanics and aspects into his world that are not pre-written and determined by somebody else. Scientists somehow baffled. Writers not at all.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #728

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    Creator of origional content decides to put mechanics and aspects into his world that are not pre-written and determined by somebody else. Scientists somehow baffled. Writers not at all.
    So, you agree that it's all Thunt's idea of what Thunt should put in that Thuntian story told by Thunt? Cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

9. - Top - End - #729

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    So, you agree that it's all Thunt's idea of what Thunt should put in that Thuntian story told by Thunt? Cool.
    Of course it is. Just take care that all criticism using that argument works at the same level of abstraction. (As in at that level it doesn't matter that it is ****ty for the fictional characters you need to build an argument why you think such a situation shouldn't be decipted or at least not decipted by Thunt. And I think your post about the topic were a bit lacking in that aspect. (Though personally I wish he hadn't. I simply don't think he is good enough at that sort of thing to produce an interesting exploration of the situation so in the best case I expect it to be awkward and uncomfortable and then be forgotten. In the worst case…*shrugh* well no point in speculating about that.))

10. - Top - End - #730

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    why you think such a situation shouldn't be decipted or at least not decipted by Thunt
    I do not understand what you mean by "decipted".

Anyway I don't see a need to build much of an argument about why introducing a couple locked into an eternal snuff movie scenario seems like a bad authorial decision to make. I would think that it is much like building an argument that two added to two brings a sum equal to four.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

11. - Top - End - #731

I think I wanted the word "depicted".

12. - Top - End - #732
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    As in at that level it doesn't matter that it is ****ty for the fictional characters you need to build an argument why you think such a situation shouldn't be decipted or at least not decipted by Thunt.
    Yes having the a male and a female character, **** and kill each other, in order to fufill some ridiculous curse is pretty dumb. It's bordering Buckley's level of tone deafness.

You can't mix different tones and expect your audience to not care. That's dumb.

Summary: You can't mix the written equivalent of pineapple and lutefisk, and expect no one to mind.

13. - Top - End - #733
    Titan in the Playground

Probably Thunt expects some reaction (he should know, after the whole affair of the dog pile your soul), but he hopes in some "benefit of doubt" and that we readers wait to see how it developes. Maybe.
    Last edited by Killer Angel; 2015-11-29 at 04:40 PM.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

14. - Top - End - #734

AssassinGuy

he wrote the story up years ago, before he had any experience with public reactions.
    Probbably looked like a good idea then.
    * my emphasis

http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead

15. - Top - End - #735
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Yes having the a male and a female character, **** and kill each other, in order to fufill some ridiculous curse is pretty dumb. It's bordering Buckley's level of tone deafness.

You can't mix different tones and expect your audience to not care. That's dumb.

Summary: You can't mix the written equivalent of pineapple and lutefisk, and expect no one to mind.
    Except Thunt doesn't mix different tones. It's always just miserable and depressing.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2015-11-29 at 07:17 PM.

16. - Top - End - #736
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Except Thunt doesn't mix different tones. It's always just miserable and depressing.
    That's a simplification. There are some attempts at slapstick/dumb jokes, some minor horror and the whole "lets be miserable and depressing" shtick.

And now there are rape-y curses.

It's not impossible to have slapstick, horror and drama (look at Unsounded), but the transition needs to be done masterfully and subtly. You can't have **** joke and someone getting decapitated on the same page in a gruesome* manner. You need to space the slapstick far away from horror IMO.

* Orks chopping off someone's head isn't gruesome - its played for laughs. You need to have some emphatic connection to guy getting his head chopped.
    Last edited by -D-; 2015-11-29 at 07:25 PM.

17. - Top - End - #737

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    dog pile your soul
    A weirdly worded benediction
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

18. - Top - End - #738
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    A weirdly worded benediction
    Dem Bene Geserit, getting into everything.

19. - Top - End - #739
    Ogre in the Playground

So, his curse is la petite mort, and hers is le grand mort?

... I'll show myself out.

Seriously, though, I'm curious to know how does one exactly verify that a "perform X activity or you'll die" curse is legitimate? Without access to any kind of resurrection magic, it's really the kind of thing that you can (and would) only test the once. For all the recipient of the curse knows, the actual curse might be "you believe you need to perform X activity or you'll die".

20. - Top - End - #740
    Titan in the Playground

And now there are rape-y curses.
    okay, no. Seriously. How?

She consents, she visibly TOLD us that she consents, he consents, he kinda has too if he wants to live, but if he /really/ didn't want too her could just say "no" and die, but as far as we know (considering there has been exactly ONE page on the topic and people are already flipping their nuts.) So how is this anything like that? Yes, there is an overarching force that makes it a requirement, but if both parties consent reguardless then that kind of makes the entire accusation null and void.

Yeesh, if "required to have sex to live" is a problem then do yourself a favour and never read "the Mote in God's Eye", it's all about an entire species of aliens who need to have sex to live.

... or homestuck for that matter.
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2015-11-30 at 12:08 AM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #741
    Ettin in the Playground

Because external pressures sort of force her to consent - he's the guaranteed source of fulfilling her curse. Letting him die would jeopardize her life. The curse acts as a form of coercion, and coerced consent isn't consent. The curse is rapey. There's no question about it.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

22. - Top - End - #742
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    Because external pressures sort of force her to consent - he's the guaranteed source of fulfilling her curse. Letting him die would jeopardize her life. The curse acts as a form of coercion, and coerced consent isn't consent. The curse is rapey. There's no question about it.
    How would letting him die jeopardize herself? He needs her to fulfill his curse of having sex once a day. She doesn't need him to fulfill her curse of "dying" once a day. Suicide is a thing.

And with Forgath there and him knowing about her curse she now has three options.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2015-11-30 at 04:10 AM.

23. - Top - End - #743

GreenSorcererElf

I love that this character is all explicitly- "Eh, I dunno if we would've done this without the curses but it's pretty good, haha! I'm cool with it, ya know? Why SHOULD I have hang-ups about sex?" and people have to charge in to talk about how terrible it is; like, it really non-sarcastically cracks me up. This isn't a rape situation, this is someone being pretty comfortable with sex.

If she had to, I dunno, do his laundry every day (inconvenient, but not a huge deal) or he'd die, and he had to... I dunno... carry her around in a Yoda backpack (uncomfortable, but manageable) or she died, would anyone be this upset? Don't project YOUR hangups.

24. - Top - End - #744
    Titan in the Playground

maglubiyet forbit a female character be comfortable with, open about, or otherwise enjoy sex in a story.

Thunt has stated that the curses will be relevent and important, all we can really do is take his word for it. And hey, maybe they're essentul to shaping up their characters. I myself have a character who had her arm ripped off by an owlbear when she was like, three. As a result she shaped up to be the very person she is today, if she hadn't lost that arm she would have been an entirely different character, not the one i created at all.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #745
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    okay, no. Seriously. How?
    As in a curse that on some level forces you to become rapist. Not to mention that curse itself is mind rape (Not into ladies? Too bad there isn't a cooperative dude in a kilometer, or vice versa).

What if Bunny dies (because this is Thunt)? Do you think Bowst won't just search for nearest orifice? However its unwilling to cooperate?
    Last edited by -D-; 2015-11-30 at 07:20 AM.

26. - Top - End - #746
    Titan in the Playground

What if Bunny dies (because this is Thunt)? Do you think Bowst won't just search for nearest orifice? However its unwilling to cooperate?
    This is an unpleasant thought. The most unpleasant thing, is that it's not baseless at all.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

27. - Top - End - #747
    Banned

It's not unpleasant because a female character is open about sex. You're moving the goalposts. It's unpleasant because the author chose to create a contrived situation where characters (regardless of gender) have no choice except to have sex with each other. The way the characters are acting in their situation is fine, the situation itself is creepy, and it's a bit odd that Thunt thought it would be a good idea to add it to his comic.

Also, knowing Thunt's history with these kind of topics, he's either setting up for Forgath to be forced to have sex with him, or for some rapey betrayal plot where he lied about his curse. Neither one is a particularly appealing plot line.

28. - Top - End - #748
    Titan in the Playground

As in a curse that on some level forces you to become rapist.
    uhh... pretty sure it doesn't... work... that way... Also, both parties are consenting. So it's kind of... not true at the moment.

Not to mention that curse itself is mind rape (Not into ladies? Too bad there isn't a cooperative dude in a kilometer, or vice versa).
    Well that sucks, but he's doing what he needs to do to survive, and also both parties are consenting so...

Well we don't know, maybe this will be a plot point in the future, maybe it won't. until it does though we can't jump to conclusions, you don't go calling someone a criminal before they've actually comitted any crimes.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #749

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    It's not unpleasant because a female character is open about sex. You're moving the goalposts. It's unpleasant because the author chose to create a contrived situation where characters (regardless of gender) have no choice except to have sex with each other. The way the characters are acting in their situation is fine, the situation itself is creepy, and it's a bit odd that Thunt thought it would be a good idea to add it to his comic.

Also, knowing Thunt's history with these kind of topics, he's either setting up for Forgath to be forced to have sex with him, or for some rapey betrayal plot where he lied about his curse. Neither one is a particularly appealing plot line.
    As in a curse that on some level forces you to become rapist. Not to mention that curse itself is mind rape (Not into ladies? Too bad there isn't a cooperative dude in a kilometer, or vice versa).

It's a work of fiction. It is by nature contrived. That's what contrived is.

At least Gex is working from a place of "this situation creeps me out" instead of "THunt always makes things terrible so this can only go one of these ways." You don't know that. Even if you do, if you don't like that, why are you reading the comic?

Gex, I GET your point, or I think I do. This plot thread is making you uncomfortable- sure! It IS weird. But making you uncomfortable doesn't mean it's made to BE uncomfortable, you know? THunt DID knowingly choose to make the story THIS way, and you don't have to like it, definitely not.

But Anteros, D-, these characters have a choices, including death (death is ALWAYS a choice, thanks Dangerous Minds!) and you're not the writer; don't try to tell me you know what's going to happen. That's just disingenuous. We've known Bowst for less than 10 strips at a guess, you think you know what he's going to do? That's silly.
    Last edited by Otomodachi; 2015-11-30 at 04:44 PM.

30. - Top - End - #750

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Otomodachi View Post
    It's a work of fiction. It is by nature contrived. That's what contrived is.

At least Gex is working from a place of "this situation creeps me out" instead of "THunt always makes things terrible so this can only go one of these ways." You don't know that. Even if you do, if you don't like that, why are you reading the comic?

Gex, I GET your point, or I think I do. This plot thread is making you uncomfortable- sure! It IS weird. But making you uncomfortable doesn't mean it's made to BE uncomfortable, you know? THunt DID knowingly choose to make the story THIS way, and you don't have to like it, definitely not.

But Anteros, D-, these characters have a choices, including death (death is ALWAYS a choice, thanks Dangerous Minds!) and you're not the writer; don't try to tell me you know what's going to happen. That's just disingenuous. We've known Bowst for less than 10 strips at a guess, you think you know what he's going to do? That's silly.
    EDIT: Plus, what I really don't get is... this type of curse (more like a geas) is ALWAYS coercive, that is literally what they are for! The oldest myth-type one I can think of is the classic "never sleep in the same place twice". This type of curse IS MEANT to force some action to happen; it's DnD that decided to strip that down to "well, it can give these penalties until removed, if the target fails their save" but back in 2nd edition curses were a LOT more freeform. I still have trouble believing there's anything to this other than sexual hangups to varying degrees.

Sex is fun! It feels good! If noone's being hurt, literally no one is being hurt.