New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Default Upcoming strip 1,000

This is a pretty big deal and I love this webcomic.I'm hoping for some momentum forward on the Xykon/Final Gate front.

I know Rich has said he knows what the final strip looks like in his head but I'm beginning to wonder if he'll ever let the comic end. Don't get me wrong, I'm in no hurry for the comic to end. But as he makes a living off this stuff why would he let it end.

Thoughts?
    THAT'S WHY YOU DON'T BRING A GEETAR TO A DUNGEON CRAWL!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Upcoming strip 1,000

Quote Originally Posted by Dancingdeath View Post
    This is a pretty big deal and I love this webcomic.I'm hoping for some momentum forward on the Xykon/Final Gate front.

I know Rich has said he knows what the final strip looks like in his head but I'm beginning to wonder if he'll ever let the comic end. Don't get me wrong, I'm in no hurry for the comic to end. But as he makes a living off this stuff why would he let it end.

Thoughts?
    He has an arc in mind; the fact that the story is long has nothing to do with whether or not it's definite.

Plus, he's expressed an eagerness a couple of times to get on with other projects.

ETA: also, this had nothing to do with comic #1000.
    Last edited by Zyzzyva; 2015-03-25 at 12:44 PM.
    Spoiler: Worst PC Concept Ever
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhaegar14 View Post
    I came up with a master ninja with a robotic arm that is simultaneously both a vampire and a werewolf. He is the first of his clan in a thousand years to master the Warp Blade technique, which allows him to bend space-time to his will. So in addition to being a cyborg werewolf vampire ninja, he's also a time traveler and functionally immortal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Milodiah View Post
    ...kinda sounds like Samuel Haight got sent to the world of Rifts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    And we have a new winner!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Rich doesn't seem to plan anything special (or at least doesn't want to tell us that he does). He got asked this on Twitter and answered:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Burlew
    Posting it shortly after 999 and not long before 1001, hopefully.
    Similarly someone asked "Any ideas for projects after OOTS?" which Rich answered with:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Burlew
    Many, many ideas. None that I can share now. Some are already in the works (tho shelved while I finish Kickstarter work).
    Whether or not these projects are in any way OotS-related I can't tell, but even when the OotS-storyline ends, Rich can still tell stories in the OotS-verse (like prequels or side stories). I think he will tell us something when he is ready/able to do so, but I wouldn't suspect any announcements in the near future, since Rich said that there will be 7 books (so 1.5 to go).

Problems with [table]?
    All you want to know about [table]!
    The Order of the Stick
    Kickstarter Reward Collection

Last updated: 2016/08/09, containing:
    9 Crayon Drawings | 21 Stick its | 47 Signature Doodles

Custom Avatar made by the Giant.

Thanks!

4. - Top - End - #4

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianSt View Post
    Rich doesn't seem to plan anything special (or at least doesn't want to tell us that he does). He got asked this on Twitter and answered:

Similarly someone asked "Any ideas for projects after OOTS?" which Rich answered with:

Whether or not these projects are in any way OotS-related I can't tell, but even when the OotS-storyline ends, Rich can still tell stories in the OotS-verse (like prequels or side stories). I think he will tell us something when he is ready/able to do so, but I wouldn't suspect any announcements in the near future, since Rich said that there will be 7 books (so 1.5 to go).
    Wow book 6 is short, only 62 comics thats a new record

5. - Top - End - #5

To be strictly honest, there's also another side book coming.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

You know, instead of demanding that Rich do something special for the 1000th strip, why don't we do something nice for him?

There's at more than a few stick-artists hanging in this forum - maybe they could all do one panel each of something utterly over-the top? In the last panel, someone tells Elan to stop speculating about the plot and he says "aw man"?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SavageWombat View Post
    You know, instead of demanding that Rich do something special for the 1000th strip, why don't we do something nice for him?
    My fellow playgrounders, ask not what your Giant can do for you, ask what you can do for your Giant!
    Last edited by Killer Angel; 2015-03-25 at 03:55 PM.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

There's at more than a few stick-artists hanging in this forum - maybe they could all do one panel each of something utterly over-the top? In the last panel, someone tells Elan to stop speculating about the plot and he says "aw man"?
    I seem to recall that while he doesn't prohibit it, Rich doesn't particularly encourage fan-made OOTS material either.

(Though I can't remember if there's an exact quote. Summon Banana I!)
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

9. - Top - End - #9

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    I seem to recall that while he doesn't prohibit it, Rich doesn't particularly encourage fan-made OOTS material either.

(Though I can't remember if there's an exact quote. Summon Banana I!)
    You think you can summon the banana with a 1st level spell?
    I would think it would be at least summon banana VII

10. - Top - End - #10
    Halfling in the Playground

"And here I thought there would be something special for the 1000th episode."

11. - Top - End - #11

"Wait, didn't we pass the thousandth strip like five pages ago?"
    "Shh."

Member of the Phyrnglsnyx Pronunciation Pact

PHYRNGLSNYX
    Fear-en-gil-sniks

[fyːrŋlˌsnɪks]

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Current avatar by Cuthalion. Thanks a lot!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by goodpeople25 View Post
    You think you can summon the banana with a 1st level spell?
    I would think it would be at least summon banana VII
    You'd be surprised.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

13. - Top - End - #13

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Oh man how did i forget that I loved that post.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    Be hard to actively prohibit it. I suppose he could prevent it being posted on this forum, but trying to prevent any fan-made material across the whole interwebz would be (a) multiple full-time jobs and (b) a PR disaster.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Griffon

Making a living off a story is not going to prevent a writer from moving on, and making a living with their next story. While I similarly am not yearning for OotS to end, I'm beyond excited for whatever projects Rich Burlew pursues next.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

For starters, strip 1000 happened a long time ago for the characters in the comic.

I imagine that this comic will come to an end. We've had several signs that there is a definite end in mind, such as the hint that the half-way point was around DStP, or that there are plans for seven books. I imagine there will be more OOTS related things after the comic ends, though.

Also not sure what this had to do with strip 1000.

Peelee’s Lotsey

17. - Top - End - #17

I'm...not sure what that is supposed to mean.
    Show
    I came up with a master ninja with a robotic arm that is simultaneously both a vampire and a werewolf. He is the first of his clan in a thousand years to master the Warp Blade technique, which allows him to bend space-time to his will. So in addition to being a cyborg werewolf vampire ninja, he's also a time traveler and functionally immortal.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    For starters, strip 1000 happened a long time ago for the characters in the comic.

I imagine that this comic will come to an end. We've had several signs that there is a definite end in mind, such as the hint that the half-way point was around DStP, or that there are plans for seven books. I imagine there will be more OOTS related things after the comic ends, though.

Also not sure what this had to do with strip 1000.
    Wait, I'm confused. That... that's strip 216. I think I'm missing a joke or something

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Zyzzyva View Post
    I'm...not sure what that is supposed to mean.
    Quote Originally Posted by kivzirrum View Post
    Wait, I'm confused. That... that's strip 216. I think I'm missing a joke or something
    The joke is that the number 1000 is 103, while the OotS characters, as six-fingered beings, have 216 as their "1000", since 216 is 63.

Member of the Phyrnglsnyx Pronunciation Pact

PHYRNGLSNYX
    Fear-en-gil-sniks

[fyːrŋlˌsnɪks]

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Current avatar by Cuthalion. Thanks a lot!

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Emperordaniel View Post
    The joke is that the number 1000 is 103, while the OotS characters, as six-fingered beings, have 216 as their "1000", since 216 is 63.
    That's way too convoluted for a joke.

I like it.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Emperordaniel View Post
    Ah, excellent! I suspected there was something Math-y about it, but for the life of me I couldn't figure out what. Nice

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Zyzzyva View Post
    That's way too convoluted for a joke.

I like it.
    Not at all; it'd be convoluted if, instead of finishing with "63", he'd said "103" and assumed you would know "well, from our perspective it would be 63, but since in base 6 the number 6 doesn't exist and is 10 instead, then clearly 103 in base 6 would be 213 in base 10."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Honestly, I'm kind of expecting an outpouring of support and gratitude here when the strips hit 1000. I think if you have the time, it might be nice to draw or make or compose or do something, and then we can all post it together when strip 1000 goes up. I'm already working on something nice :)

Some people might argue that with the three side books, and the bonus strips, and the kickstarter stories, that OotS has around 1500 strips already, but screw that... hitting a landmark number of 1000 is still kind of a deal. You can choose any time to show your appreciation, but a mark like this is a fairly clear flag to aim at.

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    My fellow playgrounders, ask not what your Giant can do for you, ask what you can do for your Giant!
    Actually, there are people who don't have time, or aren't confident in their creative skills, or who are just a little shy that might not be comfortable with writing or drawing fan stories, but who might be wondering "what can you do to show your appreciation for a comic that's been such a great source of entertainment in my life for so long?"

So here's some things people can totally do if you want to make any comic artist feel happy about what they do:

1) Messages of thanks: Comic writing is often a hugely thankless endeavour, where whenever you look at your community you just see pages and pages of people deconstructing and criticising every little thing you do. A concentrated outpouring of positive sentiment, without any ulterior motive or message can be hugely uplifting.
    2) Support the bottom line: If you've been thinking of buying stuff (be it Books, or T-shirts or anything) for yourself or as gifts, then you should also view that it's a way to show that you appreciate a creator. When it's their job, you're direcly supporting them doing it.
    3) Spread the word: Small-time artists and creators rely entirely on their audiences for support, and anything you can do to grow that is an act of support. Tell your friends, take the time to get them into the comic, remind people who may have drifted away that it's moved on and gotten so much more awesome... Increasing someone's audience directly results not only in more hits (which if they advertise (I realise that Rich doesn't) improves their bottom line), but it means that more people are going to spend on merchandise.
    Last edited by ahdok; 2015-03-26 at 11:55 AM.
    S&P is a comic I draw that's not as popular as this one.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Firbolg in the Playground

Hey! That's my joke! You should feel ashamed

But we've had enough "strip 1000 speculation" threads that jokes get recycled between them. Which raises some obvious questions: what special event will occur in the 1000th strip 1000 speculation thread? Will we even get to 1000 speculation threads before strip 1000? After strip 1000, will we continue to see threads speculating about the hidden significance of strip 1000?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    I felt like I had to continue the joke. It just wouldn't feel right if we had a 1000th strip thread without a base 6 joke.

Peelee’s Lotsey

26. - Top - End - #26
    Firbolg in the Playground

Yay *hugs*

Anyways, they MIGHT have thumbs, which means strip 1000 might have actually been back here. Which was, in fact, significant, since it lead into the Tsukiko vs Haley fight.

Or maybe they only have a thumb on one hand, in which case strip 1000 began a Sabine vs Roy duel.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    Ahem.WORDSWORDSWORDS
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    I felt like I had to continue the joke. It just wouldn't feel right if we had a 1000th strip thread without a base 6 joke.
    So long as it's not in base 13. Nobody writes jokes in base 13.

Bonus points to those who get the reference without the Googles.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Bonus points to those who get the reference without the Googles.
    Do I still get bonus points if I remember this from the last time you said it?
    Last edited by Jaxzan Proditor; 2015-04-07 at 05:22 PM.

Peelee’s Lotsey

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Well to be fair...operating on the basis of three digits per hand in the comic, we're talking 3 and 3 for all fingers represented, so 33 could indeed be the ultimate answer in OotS.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas