New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 6: Fire Away

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    Of course this needs to end with Coyote appearing beside Annie stating "Thank you, Fire Head Girl." before vanishing. Just to add a touch of "Did we just enable a war?" to the sense of victory.
    I doubt Jeanne is really all that's preventing Coyote from launching an attack on the Court. If Coyote even wanted to assault the Court (which may not be the case), and if Jeanne is what's stopping him, then it means the founders of the Court had technology powerful enough to keep Coyote and all his followers at bay for centuries. If they had that sort of power hundreds (or thousands, I don't recall how old the Court is) of years ago, it seems pretty unlikely to me that the modern-day Court would still be scared of Coyote.

2. - Top - End - #932
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Geez Annie. I know its been a stressful day and you busy, but how could you not recognize your best friend?

3. - Top - End - #933
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    If they had that sort of power hundreds (or thousands, I don't recall how old the Court is) of years ago
    Going by the fashions the founders wore and the reference to fleeing a war, I've always headcanoned that the Court was formed in the early 19th Century (ie the Napoleonic era).

4. - Top - End - #934

Well, now Annie can see why Zimmy is scared of Kat

5. - Top - End - #935
    Troll in the Playground

Ah, so Annie DOESN'T know about Kat. Hopefully she doesn't try to kill it with fire before she finds out.

6. - Top - End - #936
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I doubt Jeanne is really all that's preventing Coyote from launching an attack on the Court. If Coyote even wanted to assault the Court (which may not be the case), and if Jeanne is what's stopping him, then it means the founders of the Court had technology powerful enough to keep Coyote and all his followers at bay for centuries. If they had that sort of power hundreds (or thousands, I don't recall how old the Court is) of years ago, it seems pretty unlikely to me that the modern-day Court would still be scared of Coyote.
    I had understood that the truce was that no one can cross the bridge without a breaching the truce, and that Jeanne was used as a sacrifice to make a safe guard that no one could cross to the COurt from the river itself.

I see it more that Coyote left a loophole that the Court filled, and that while he could deal with Jeanne, it would not be a trivial task. They were able to create a wraith that can kill those that are specifically meant to deal with her. So I could see Coyote thinking it would not be worth the effort.

7. - Top - End - #937
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    Ah, so Annie DOESN'T know about Kat. Hopefully she doesn't try to kill it with fire before she finds out.
    No one knows about Kat. WE don't even know about, really. We know she can look that way to some people/in some circumstances, but we only have guesses as to why.

8. - Top - End - #938
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    No one knows about Kat. WE don't even know about, really. We know she can look that way to some people/in some circumstances, but we only have guesses as to why.
    The author explained somewhere that Zimmy can pierce time with her vision. We are about to see the fulfillment of that vision.

9. - Top - End - #939

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I only remember seeing the mecha-angel once before this chapter. Near the end of Chapter 38, Zimmy states that she is scared of the way Kat looks to her, and on the next page we see Mecha-Kat.

10. - Top - End - #940
    Titan in the Playground

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I only remember seeing the mecha-angel once before this chapter. Near the end of Chapter 38, Zimmy states that she is scared of the way Kat looks to her, and on the next page we see Mecha-Kat.
    You misremember.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

11. - Top - End - #941

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    Thanks

12. - Top - End - #942
    Ogre in the Playground

Bad Kat! You're polluting the beautiful Aether with your rusty mecha-body! You looked better in Zimmy's vision. Go back to your workshop and upgrade your mecha-suit.

13. - Top - End - #943
    Troll in the Playground

I wonder if Kat will see her mecha body when she looks down, or just her normal form. If the former... O_O

14. - Top - End - #944

Welp, that settles the question of whether Annie will be able to recognize Kat before it's too late.

15. - Top - End - #945
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by guttering flame View Post
    Bad Kat! You're polluting the beautiful Aether with your rusty mecha-body! You looked better in Zimmy's vision. Go back to your workshop and upgrade your mecha-suit.
    That's probably pretty much what happens, given the comment below Kat's appearance in Zimmy's vision.

(Mecha-Kat will always look wicked-cool to me, though.)

16. - Top - End - #946

Quoting someone from Tumblr:
    annie: great, i'm no longer the person with the coolest etheric form.
    annie: my true etheric form is literally me but permanently on fire. i'm awesome.
    annie: and now my bff who knows [scrubbed due to forum filter] about the ether is some giant mechanical angel right out of a book of revelation steampunk au.
    annie: SHE CAN'T EVEN SENSE IT WITHOUT HELP
    annie: HOW IS THIS FAIR???

17. - Top - End - #947
    Ogre in the Playground

Unimaginative Kat to the rescue This is a nice call-back to the ROTD chapter.

18. - Top - End - #948
    Troll in the Playground

Well, that answers that question. Kat sees the Ether the same way she sees regular life. So. She may be extremely unimaginative. Or it may be that you bring to the Ether what you perceive, and Kat perceives things scientifically. Or perhaps, as a proto-god, she is above such things...

Interesting that she sees Mr. Green Elf as shackled and huddled. I wonder what she would have made of the fight between he and Annie. I wonder how Annie is going to get it across to Kat that she sees her as something so awesome and terrifying that she can barely survive being in her presence.

19. - Top - End - #949
    Titan in the Playground

I like that even in Kat vision, the ether shackles are solid. The ether does have power, even with its grandiose pomp stripped away.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

20. - Top - End - #950
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Protagonest View Post
    I like that even in Kat vision, the ether shackles are solid. The ether does have power, even with its grandiose pomp stripped away.
    I wonder what happens if the shackles are removed?
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

21. - Top - End - #951
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I wonder if it's less a matter of lack of imagination, and more a factor of a person's ether-vision being influenced by relative power and comprehension.

Imagine, Katrina Donlan, potentially because she is the "Angel" who is ushering in a new age of bio-mechanical robots, is an Etheric Titan. The way you percieve things in the Ether is based on your ability to interact with them.

Annie and Mort, being a mere ghost/Fire-Elemental Human Hybrid, percieved the ROTD keepers as massive worm-things, because, as far as Annie and Mort interacting with them is concerned, they were as dangerous as a massive worm Monster.
    The Final Testimonial became an eyeball and horrifying eldritch tome because they lacked the etheric senses to properly use them, just as they don't know how to use a horrifying eldritch tome.

Kat, as the Angel of the New Age, could use the Final Testimonials as easily as she could use a VCR in the real world. The ROTD Keepers were as threatening to her as a skinny teenager in a mask would be in the real world, so that's how she saw it.

Similarly, simply comprehending the nature of the Arrow is a staggering task for Annie, so she percieves a massive, non-eucledian mechanism of some sort.

Kat, on the other hand, can perceive it's true nature, and the effort to undo it is, to her, roughly equivalent in difficulty and complexity to picking a lock on a pair of shackles.

In the Aether, you are always yourself, and the rest of the world changes relative to you. An Ant and an Angel see the same world very differently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

22. - Top - End - #952
    Ogre in the Playground

I love the "Kat in the Ether" bits. The Ether is a drama queen, and Kat has no time for its shenanigans.
    Last edited by Randomguy; 2016-11-21 at 06:11 PM.
    Awesome Edward Elric avatar by gurgleflep!
    Let's Watch Steins;Gate!

23. - Top - End - #953

RedKnightGirl

It's Mort.

Briefly.

And it doesn't show his face.

Hi! I'm a Girl At A Desk. I like DnD and Path of Exile a lot.

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show

By Howl

24. - Top - End - #954
    Barbarian in the Playground

Mort fun time

25. - Top - End - #955

I don't think Mort will come back, ever. The world will continue to spin....

26. - Top - End - #956
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Bringing a broadsword to a rapier fight was not the best move against an opponent with heightened speed.

Honestly, I think a sword and shield would have been more practical. The point is not to beat Jeanne, just delay her.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2016-11-25 at 03:34 AM.

27. - Top - End - #957
    Troll in the Playground

BIP, George! BIP LIKE YOU'VE NEVER BIPPED BEFORE!

Still, it IS pretty amazing to consider how long she's holding out. Either Jeanne is still pulling her punches, or Parley is really good. Or both.

28. - Top - End - #958

I hope we at least get to see the undoing of the lock from Annie's perspective.
    At any rate, my guess is that Annie and Kat will emerge from the arrow just in time to prevent Jeanne from killing Parley (or someone else).

29. - Top - End - #959
    Ogre in the Playground

I hope we at least get to see the undoing of the lock from Annie's perspective.
    At any rate, my guess is that Annie and Kat will emerge from the arrow just in time to prevent Jeanne from killing Parley (or someone else).
    I think the maze is the lock from Annie's perspective.

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

30. - Top - End - #960

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    Either Jeanne is still pulling her punches, or Parley is really good. Or both.
    Well, it is Jeanne's first real fight against a real fencer in ages,
    and she has nothing else to do.
    So, I'm quite sure she is enjoying it, and will be drawing it out,
    as much as she can
    -HaJo

FLW: Oh, no. We're being rescued. How embarrassing!