New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Default Help on a Binder build

Hello guys c: Im starting a game soon and wanted to play a Binder. For this game I want to try a melee/blaster Binder. Not Melee Blast like having pounce and that, but something that is useful on melee and range combat. Also im going for KotSS at lvl 11 to make Zceryll my patron vestige. Is that a good idea? Starting level 1, Scores: 18, 16, 14, 12, 10, 8 in any order. Thanks everyone c:!
    Pew pew

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Help on a Binder build

yeah zceryll's a fine choice for a patron vestige.

handbook is a good place to start

and my favorite binder resource, especially since you're picking zceryll as your patron:

binder's summon and spell list

lists every monster you can tap and every spell at your fingertips.

blast and melee to your heart's content.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Thank you very much Venger! I'll take a look to the handbooks. I wanted to ask, for a melee binder which is the stat priority?
    Pew pew

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Val666 View Post
    I wanted to ask, for a melee binder which is the stat priority?
    Same as any other melee character, Strength, and of course Constitution. You'll want a bit of dex for feat pre-reqs, like combat reflexes and such, but you won't need it too high.

Iirc Binders get good Will saves, so you should be able to dump wis, get that 10 in Int.

Something like this maybe: Str:18 Dex:12 Con:14 Wis:8 Int:10 Cha:16
    Maybe put your fourth level ability increase into Dexterity.

In any other case, I'd put that 18 into Charisma, but if you're specifically going melee binder you'll want that strength big time.
    The Grand Rudisplorking Commoner, with the Rudisplorkiest power of them all, the power of the vote!

Quote Originally Posted by Remedy View Post
    But it's okay, I'm wearing five pairs of shoes so they shouldn't be able to hit me.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Of high use to a binder is this wonderful list here which all the important details on all vestiges, including all the web enhancement ones. The only ones it doesn't mention are the 2 dragon magazine vestiges, Kas and Primus, which can be found here. I would recommend against using Primus. Kas is powerful, but somewhat situational.

Feat choices are important, I heavily recommend buying improved binding as soon as possible. Ignore special requirement is a good use of the bonus feat at 4. You might want to put it earlier to save on some skill points. The guide in venger's post has a good section on minimizing skill point expenditures for prereqs.

For melee, Andras is a solid choice for some punch before Eligor comes online; Eligor's strength boost is very nice (and typeless). For ranged blasting, Focalor is your man. Damage is solid and scales, and save is only for half. It's one of the very few binder abilities that can be used every round (possibly from it being based on call lightning, but I'm not going to question it). For range there's not much more binder gets. Leraje is decent at low levels for ricochet. Balam and Geryon have gaze attacks, but the rules are a bit messy. Balam's gaze has almost no text describing, not even a range! Geryon's has a very good description, including the important ability to not zap your allies. It is will negates, so may lose some utility. If your DM rules that Balam's gaze works like Geryon, then Balam alone makes a good addition for general use (that reroll is wonderful), or both of them for fun (you'll have to ask your DM if using a standard allows you to target an enemy with both gazes or just one). Reading up on the bizarrely large amount of gaze text is necessary to use these, so you're likely better off sticking to Focalor for simplicity. Focalor's debuffing aura is also useful for a melee binder.
    Last edited by The Viscount; 2015-08-25 at 11:35 PM.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Thank you very much Venger! I'll take a look to the handbooks. I wanted to ask, for a melee binder which is the stat priority?
    You're quite welcome.

If you want to do some melee but focus on zceryll, I'd suggest prioritizing cha. your array's pretty good, but you get a lot more mileage from cha than you do str.

I'd go:
    str 16
    dex 12
    con 14
    int 10
    wis 8
    cha 18

normally, you want to avoid a negative in dex, con, or wis, but due to the array you're stuck with, I don't really see a way around it. if you're comfortable being a complete dummy, you can swap int and wis, but it'll stop you from doing stuff with knowledge devotion, so you may want to think twice.

Quote Originally Posted by MetaMyconid View Post
    Same as any other melee character, Strength, and of course Constitution. You'll want a bit of dex for feat pre-reqs, like combat reflexes and such, but you won't need it too high.

Iirc Binders get good Will saves, so you should be able to dump wis, get that 10 in Int.

Something like this maybe: Str:18 Dex:12 Con:14 Wis:8 Int:10 Cha:16
    Maybe put your fourth level ability increase into Dexterity.

In any other case, I'd put that 18 into Charisma, but if you're specifically going melee binder you'll want that strength big time.
    if you're not twfing, you don't need dex. combat reflexes has no prerequisites, so even if you want to do aoo stuff, a low positive is fine.

binders have the cleric chassis: average ba, good for/will.

even for a melee binder, cha is more important than str. it determines the dc for your stuff which, if you're focusing on zceryll, can do cool stuff like her bewlidering bolts, or help stop you from making a bad pact with tenebrous, which is pretty ruinous.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Iron Chef Medals!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    You're quite welcome.

if you're not twfing, you don't need dex. combat reflexes has no prerequisites, so even if you want to do aoo stuff, a low positive is fine.
    What am I thinking of then? I'm sure it's not TWF...

I could have gotten really mixed up and thought of Combat Expertise, but that's Int.

Imo, on a 3/4 BAB I'd be more inclined to put point into strength to help my to hit, and to avoid being grappled.

Also, Val, at what level are you starting the character? At 10/11 or earlier?
    The Grand Rudisplorking Commoner, with the Rudisplorkiest power of them all, the power of the vote!

But it's okay, I'm wearing five pairs of shoes so they shouldn't be able to hit me.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Going to toss in my hat for an Anima Mage build (with a focus on binder). Going the early entry stuff with Sorceror 1 (precocious apprentice)/Binder 2 (Improved Binding) you can get into Anima mage at level 4. You can exit it at Anima Mage 5 for 1/day free metamagic or 7 for the 2/day free metamagic (I'd recommend persistent spell and wraithstrike to make up for the lower BAB and/or Power Attack) and go into KotSS. By level 9 you'd be Sorc 1/Binder 2/Anima 5/KotSS 1 for Zceryll plus another vestige (tenebrous is good one) and 3rd level spells.

This would give you quite a good amount of utility/versatility in the early levels and give you time to level up in binder for the multiple binds. You would miss out on the 4th vestige at level 20, but you would have 5th levels spells (which nets you most of the really good variety of spells like teleport, haste, greater magic weapon, greater mage armor, etc.).

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ezekiul View Post
    Going to toss in my hat for an Anima Mage build (with a focus on binder). Going the early entry stuff with Sorceror 1 (precocious apprentice)/Binder 2 (Improved Binding) you can get into Anima mage at level 4. You can exit it at Anima Mage 5 for 1/day free metamagic or 7 for the 2/day free metamagic (I'd recommend persistent spell and wraithstrike to make up for the lower BAB and/or Power Attack) and go into KotSS. By level 9 you'd be Sorc 1/Binder 2/Anima 5/KotSS 1 for Zceryll plus another vestige (tenebrous is good one) and 3rd level spells.

This would give you quite a good amount of utility/versatility in the early levels and give you time to level up in binder for the multiple binds. You would miss out on the 4th vestige at level 20, but you would have 5th levels spells (which nets you most of the really good variety of spells like teleport, haste, greater magic weapon, greater mage armor, etc.).
    While that's definitely a solid build this seems to be ops first binder do I wouldn't advise theurging and having to keep track of spells in addition to a whole new sub system his fIrst time out even if they do work well together

Iron Chef Medals!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

While that's definitely a solid build this seems to be ops first binder do I wouldn't advise theurging and having to keep track of spells in addition to a whole new sub system his fIrst time out even if they do work well together
    Yeah, my assumption was that if he was going for a Zceryll focus he had enough experience to handle that kind of theurging but I could be wrong.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by MetaMyconid View Post
    Also, Val, at what level are you starting the character? At 10/11 or earlier?
    Starting level is 1

Also I played Binders before but not for much and I know the Anima Mage builds but didn't want to go into that <_< I don't like spellcasting that much huehuehue

EDIT: I was thinking on playing between melee (with any of the melee vestiges) and blasting with Focalor and Otiax til I get Zceryll and then go into Kotss c:
    Last edited by Val666; 2015-08-26 at 07:39 PM.
    Pew pew

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Starting level is 1

Also I played Binders before but not for much and I know the Anima Mage builds but didn't want to go into that <_< I don't like spellcasting that much huehuehue

EDIT: I was thinking on playing between melee (with any of the melee vestiges) and blasting with Focalor and Otiax til I get Zceryll and then go into Kotss c:
    figured.

yeah that sounds like a plan. what're you thinking for race?

Iron Chef Medals!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

figured.

yeah that sounds like a plan. what're you thinking for race?
    Well I'm Human right now Dx my party is discussing the possibility of adding free +1 LA templates but I don't think that would happen :v
    Pew pew

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Well I'm Human right now Dx my party is discussing the possibility of adding free +1 LA templates but I don't think that would happen :v
    Well, while your mental stats would hate you, if you get a free +1 LA template, look at Feral. Mmmmm...Fast Healing. It's in Savage Species.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I assume you're going human for the bonus feat? If that's the case Strongheart Halflings are an option, provided you can get past the -2 strength.

Neraph are usually reasonably solid, solely for LA +0 Outsider.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Two templates that are nice are Draconic and Mineral Warrior. Draconic is all positive, but Mineral Warrior gives you DR 8/adamatium and a Smite, oh and Nat Armor, but negatives to mentals (i dont recall which right now)

Edit: Lesser Aasimar is usually pretty good, hard to argue with two positive stats.
    Last edited by Blackhawk748; 2015-08-26 at 08:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

I'd like to stick with human for background reasons but an Elan may come to place :B Also I'll ask for some advice for the Blasting side of a Binder, like which are good early Vestiges for that c:
    Pew pew

18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I'd like to stick with human for background reasons but an Elan may come to place :B Also I'll ask for some advice for the Blasting side of a Binder, like which are good early Vestiges for that c:
    Focalor goes pew pew pew and things go 'oh god, why lightning?'

Amon goes 'bwaaaaaaah' and people go 'fiiiiire! The paaaain' (then at higher level) 'fiiii...oh, it's just fire.'

Haures (Haagenti? Whatever) one of them goes 'Phantasmal Killer' and everything goes 'oh, wait, that's not a death effect, eeeee!' Phantasmal Killer has No Death Tag. And as a supernatural ability I think it skips SR?

And then there's Bill. Bill is the depravity mage that was removed from reality by the actions of the player characters (myself included) in a dnd game that had it's last session (for now) last thursday. Bill probably has some taint and insanity based abilities. We're not sure yet, no one bothered to get the character's real name or stat him up as a Vestige yet.

And there's probably some others I'm not thinking of. Maybe you could abuse Karsus to wand some things to death? Heavy Magic is heavy.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

I would advise against feral if you're only interested in fast healing. Buer gives fast healing as well as unlimited healing for others, and as the handbook mentions if you can get your hands on the shield of mercy you can turn Andras' smites into unlimited healing and just use him instead, it's a matter of preference really.

If you are getting a free +1 LA template I will second Draconic. It's not super interesting, but it is very good use of the 1 LA.

Amon will be decent blaster at early levels, but I'd personally lean more towards Leraje for ricochet, at low levels the second attack is a lot. 2nd level vestiges don't really give anything blasty, but Malphas is the most directly offensive, and gives a reliable means of using his sudden strike. For this reason I'd suggest improved binding so you can get 3rds at level 3. It's worth spending the feat on for earlier access. It's saved my bacon playing a low level binder.

I had assumed Haures's Phantasmal Killer is still a death effect because it says "as the spell" am I missing something?
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Viscount View Post
    I would advise against feral if you're only interested in fast healing. Buer gives fast healing as well as unlimited healing for others, and as the handbook mentions if you can get your hands on the shield of mercy you can turn Andras' smites into unlimited healing and just use him instead, it's a matter of preference really.

If you are getting a free +1 LA template I will second Draconic. It's not super interesting, but it is very good use of the 1 LA.

Amon will be decent blaster at early levels, but I'd personally lean more towards Leraje for ricochet, at low levels the second attack is a lot. 2nd level vestiges don't really give anything blasty, but Malphas is the most directly offensive, and gives a reliable means of using his sudden strike. For this reason I'd suggest improved binding so you can get 3rds at level 3. It's worth spending the feat on for earlier access. It's saved my bacon playing a low level binder.

I had assumed Haures's Phantasmal Killer is still a death effect because it says "as the spell" am I missing something?
    Phantasmal Killer isnt a death spell, its a Fear Mind Affecting spell that happens to kill you.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Amon also allows access to Metabreath feats from Draconomicon, which can be a good use of your first round of combat in you load it up with things like Quicken/Clinging for some good blasting damage (you can get Entangling Exhalation if you go silverbrow human and make it a debuff too).

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ezekiul View Post
    Amon also allows access to Metabreath feats from Draconomicon, which can be a good use of your first round of combat in you load it up with things like Quicken/Clinging for some good blasting damage (you can get Entangling Exhalation if you go silverbrow human and make it a debuff too).
    I haven't done this myself, but I hear that a Dragonborn is quite well-situated to make use of Entangling Exhalation and other Meta-Breath feats.

It's also nice because you can use your other breath after you Meta + Entangle some jerks with your first breath.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

elan have a cha penalty, so they're not too helpful here since you're not abusing alter self, their one good point, so you'd be losing your human feat for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sagetim View Post
    Focalor goes pew pew pew and things go 'oh god, why lightning?'

Amon goes 'bwaaaaaaah' and people go 'fiiiiire! The paaaain' (then at higher level) 'fiiii...oh, it's just fire.'

Haures (Haagenti? Whatever) one of them goes 'Phantasmal Killer' and everything goes 'oh, wait, that's not a death effect, eeeee!' Phantasmal Killer has No Death Tag. And as a supernatural ability I think it skips SR?

And then there's Bill. Bill is the depravity mage that was removed from reality by the actions of the player characters (myself included) in a dnd game that had it's last session (for now) last thursday. Bill probably has some taint and insanity based abilities. We're not sure yet, no one bothered to get the character's real name or stat him up as a Vestige yet.

And there's probably some others I'm not thinking of. Maybe you could abuse Karsus to wand some things to death? Heavy Magic is heavy.
    Su abilities do skip SR. phantasmal killer is just... not a good spell.

thirding draconic. it's a good all-around emplate.

wait, there are binders who don't take improved binding?

phantasmal killer is not a death effect it doesn't have the death descriptor.

Iron Chef Medals!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Su abilities do skip SR. phantasmal killer is just... not a good spell.
    Agreed, but Huares' other stuff isnt too bad, min blank and Major Image are both very useful.

Also i feel we have neglected Paimon, hes fun.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    Agreed, but Huares' other stuff isnt too bad, min blank and Major Image are both very useful.

Also i feel we have neglected Paimon, hes fun.
    yeah haures is pretty solid defensively.

Paimon is wonderful, but Val666 doesn't seem to be building a finesse binder, so he won't get much from paimon since he's no building around him.

Iron Chef Medals!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

yeah haures is pretty solid defensively.

Paimon is wonderful, but Val666 doesn't seem to be building a finesse binder, so he won't get much from paimon since he's no building around him.
    Valid i just felt i should point him out as he gets you Whirlwind Attack, which is situationally useful as well as Paimon's Dance, which is poor mans Dervish Dance.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Valid i just felt i should point him out as he gets you Whirlwind Attack, which is situationally useful as well as Paimon's Dance, which is poor mans Dervish Dance.
    very true. handy if you know you'll be fighting a lot of mooks.

Iron Chef Medals!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Whirlwind Attack is good if you find yourself in that situation, but you should always take steps to avoid that situation. Dance of Death being poor man's Dervish Dance is a very funny concept, since Dervish is already the poor man's class. I had always just thought of it as a funky Spring Attack.
    Awards

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Whirlwind Attack is good if you find yourself in that situation, but you should always take steps to avoid that situation. Dance of Death being poor man's Dervish Dance is a very funny concept, since Dervish is already the poor man's class. I had always just thought of it as a funky Spring Attack.
    It kinda is, but its devastating with the proper build. A Swift Hunter Ranger into Dervish is terrifying
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

One question: Is level 13 wizards(with the right prcs) with one prismatic sphere scroll and stuff of this king mooks when you are level 17?
    (You can have four of them against you team and it can hurt)
    Last edited by noob; 2015-08-28 at 03:41 PM.