New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: RWBY VII: Winter is coming

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Spoiler: V3C5
    Show

Neon's fighting style seemed to be based around wearing the opponent down. Flynt can lock down one opponent, but is vulnerable to being flanked. Meanwhile, Neon loses a lot of her advantage if she's forced to stay in one place. So, she intentionally antagonized Yang, then used her superior mobility, combined with hit-and-run tactics and ice-dust-glowchucks (further hindering Yang's mobility) to wear her down.

You see their strategy working, Yang is an undisputed Brawler. Neither Flynt nor Neon would have lasted long in melee against her. So, Neon keeps Yang out of the fight, while Flynt locks down Weiss. Once Weiss is down, Flynt can turn his attention to Yang, who will fall to a combined Meme Team Attack.

The problem is, Flynt disarmed Weiss, but he didn't finish her off, so she was able to tackle him into the lava. This weakened him, making it easy for Yang to finish him off, and spoiled the combo-move that was supposed to weaken Yang.
    Show
    Oh, their tactics were good, they were pitting their strengths against their opponent's weaknesses, and vice versa. They just got overconfident.

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Show

Basically the idea is that the glow stick is the most iconic symbol of that annoying teen culture nonsense. To use your example, imagine if the person's weapon was a giant sign with "hammer" written on it in spanish, only spelt wrong. Or something like that, I'm sure you can think of a better example. But basically the glow sticks are the SYMBOL that personifies that annoying teen culture thing.
    Show
    Good to know. If you know even a small amount of Spanish and do not care about having your eyes bleed, take a look at this page... Do not feed it to Google Translate, it won't work
    Antoni Ten Monrós
    GURPSoid - Here are my works
    Fate Lover and backer
    Spaniard Despite Himself
    English is my 4th language, so please, if I say anything offensive, don't take it personally, it's probably a misunderstanding.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Show
    First off, do we know that the singles combatant has to be one of the two from the doubles round? I don't think this was explicitly stated (though a few lines suggest it). As a result, I've got a sneaking suspicion that it's common strategy to use a third person for that round, one who is rested and hopefully hasn't wasted their tricks. And, of course there's some strategy for picking your singles contender: you won't make it to the singles if you can't hack the doubles. At the same time, a singles fighter has no support. Niche fighters win or lose almost entirely on their circumstances, while all-rounders have far fewer instant-loss pairings.

It makes sense if you look at the teams we know and their decisions:
    CFVY: Coco seems to think Velvetina would be a game changer if she got to use what she's been saving up, so I imagine she put herself and the big guy up for round 2. Solid fighters, covering a range of possibilities. Next round, Velvetina unveils the big guns. Win. Sadly, MNCE needed to Worf someone. Maybe next year, Velvetina.
    CRDL: I really don't see Cardin as the sort to let others steal his thunder. He wanted to be singles, so he picked the two most likely to take him there. Penny disagrees.
    MNCE: Emerald and Mercury are a great team and leave Cinder in the ideal place to be standing when she puts her plan into action.
    RWBY: I rather doubt Blake wants any more spotlight than absolutely necessary. Yang is an ungodly powerhouse, but only in specific situations (as Neon Katt displayed nicely). Weis is better support than singles. Ruby is just generally stupidly powerful as long as she has her weapon. Of them all, Ruby is the best equipped to take all challengers.

I don't know how JNPR would break. Probably Nora/Juane with Pyrrha taking over. If Pyrrha's out, however, it's probably Nora/Ren with Juane taking the lead. Nora and Ren are like Yang - good in their game, but otherwise limited. Pyrrha simply cannot be beat (except by a non-metallic fighter like Cinder). Meanwhile, Juane is competent and able to take a beating long enough to find his feet.

Flint was definitely disappointing. The dude had style, no bones there, but they used him so poorly! This is RWBY, yeah? Home of the superbly choreographed fight scene? Show some friggin' choreography! Fine, a remix of RWBY in the background, that's at least an attempt, but you've got a guy here who's weapon is music. Music! Yet they took about as much advantage of this as Shamalan did with bending in the Last Airbender! Seriously. He could have been so awesome and they wasted it.

Neon? She annoys me, and they wasted that, too. If I had scripted this fight, Yang would have ended it by hitting her so hard Nora would be flinching in sympathy. She was incredibly annoying, but she still did her job: she demonstrated how even Yang's ability isn't unstoppable. She rules in power, but suffers in maneuverability, and that would cost her in Singles.

Ciel? As much as I am ambivalent about the emotional robot / deadpan girl thing, Ciel worked for me for one reason: she makes sense. What is Penny's greatest weakness? She has no minder. Ciel is basically her less motivated Jiminy Cricket, wearily fighting to keep her flighty powerhouse of a ward from getting lost, meeting unpredictable elements, disclosing things she isn't supposed to, missing vital maintenance... basically, Ciel's there to keep Penny from making an ass of herself. That's more thought than usually given to her.

Finally, the ending. I really don't like the fact that it looks bad for Pyrrha. Between the opening, Cinder mocking her abilities, and her getting singled out for an ominous mission, it really looks like they may be setting the Greek sweetheart up for a fall. I actually think I might be honestly bummed if this proves her swan song.
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2015-12-07 at 05:21 PM.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    Show
    First off, do we know that the singles combatant has to be one of the two from the doubles round? I don't think this was explicitly stated (though a few lines suggest it). As a result, I've got a sneaking suspicion that it's common strategy to use a third person for that round, one who is rested and hopefully hasn't wasted their tricks. And, of course there's some strategy for picking your singles contender: you won't make it to the singles if you can't hack the doubles. At the same time, a singles fighter has no support. Niche fighters win or lose almost entirely on their circumstances, while all-rounders have far fewer instant-loss pairings.

It makes sense if you look at the teams we know and their decisions:
    CFVY: Coco seems to think Velvetina would be a game changer if she got to use what she's been saving up, so I imagine she put herself and the big guy up for round 2. Solid fighters, covering a range of possibilities. Next round, Velvetina unveils the big guns. Win. Sadly, MNCE needed to Worf someone. Maybe next year, Velvetina.
    CRDL: I really don't see Cardin as the sort to let others steal his thunder. He wanted to be singles, so he picked the two most likely to take him there. Penny disagrees.
    MNCE: Emerald and Mercury are a great team and leave Cinder in the ideal place to be standing when she puts her plan into action.
    RWBY: I rather doubt Blake wants any more spotlight than absolutely necessary. Yang is an ungodly powerhouse, but only in specific situations (as Neon Katt displayed nicely). Weis is better support than singles. Ruby is just generally stupidly powerful as long as she has her weapon. Of them all, Ruby is the best equipped to take all challengers.

I don't know how JNPR would break. Probably Nora/Juane with Pyrrha taking over. If Pyrrha's out, however, it's probably Nora/Ren with Juane taking the lead. Nora and Ren are like Yang - good in their game, but otherwise limited. Pyrrha simply cannot be beat (except by a non-metallic fighter like Cinder). Meanwhile, Juane is competent and able to take a beating long enough to find his feet.

Flint was definitely disappointing. The dude had style, no bones there, but they used him so poorly! This is RWBY, yeah? Home of the superbly choreographed fight scene? Show some friggin' choreography! Fine, a remix of RWBY in the background, that's at least an attempt, but you've got a guy here who's weapon is music. Music! Yet they took about as much advantage of this as Shamalan did with bending in the Last Airbender! Seriously. He could have been so awesome and they wasted it.

Show

My roomates and I were discussing the changing fight choreography since Monty Oum died. Considering RWBY was, in large part, a toolbox for Monty to play with, it's not surprising to see a substantial downgrade in the fight scenes.

My roomate noticed that, rather than lengthy, fluid motions, the animation seems to be far more reliant on giving the impression of fast movement by snapping the character models into cool poses (Giving the impression that they're moving too fast for you to see the intervening motions).
    I too was dissapointed by the fight being him and Weiss standing still while throwing different types of energy at each other.

They even made a big deal out of the Killer Quartet, only for it function as nothing more than a firepower boost. Rather than to setup some sort of Sword vs 4 Trumpet Melee fight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

4. - Top - End - #394
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Spoiler: 3C5
    Show
    This could explain why they wouldn't put Blake into doubles, but RY or RW still seem a lot better than WY.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bekeleven View Post
    Show
    This could explain why they wouldn't put Blake into doubles, but RY or RW still seem a lot better than WY.
    Spoiler: S3E5
    Show
    "Why?" "Exactly"
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

6. - Top - End - #396
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    Show
    Isn't it the other way around? It explains why they wouldn't put R into doubles (since she's being saved for singles), but not why they wouldn't put Blake in.

Of course, the supposed weakness of WY is predicated on Weiss not buffing Yang. Really, Weiss with anyone is a killer combo unless there are some as-yet-unseen limitations on her glyphs.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    Show
    Isn't it the other way around? It explains why they wouldn't put R into doubles (since she's being saved for singles), but not why they wouldn't put Blake in.

Of course, the supposed weakness of WY is predicated on Weiss not buffing Yang. Really, Weiss with anyone is a killer combo unless there are some as-yet-unseen limitations on her glyphs.
    Show
    It's less a question of who to use for round 2 and more who to save for round 3. Neon Katt showed quite neatly how all of Yang's power is useless if she can't apply it, while Weiss has never shown much aptitude for Singles combat. The only people who would work for Singles are Blake and Ruby, while Weiss and Yang provide a nicely balanced Doubles team. Blake is likely not keen on participating, while Ruby is an awful lot more powerful than she at first appears.
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2015-12-07 at 05:53 PM.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Colossus in the Playground

Show
    It's less a question of who to use for round 2 and more who to save for round 3. Neon Katt showed quite neatly how all of Yang's power is useless if she can't apply it, while Weiss has never shown much aptitude for Singles combat. The only people who would work for Singles are Blake and Ruby, while Weiss and Yang provide a nicely balanced Doubles team. Blake is likely not keen on participating, while Ruby is an awful lot more powerful than she at first appears.
    Show
    By my understanding, the people who fought in the doubles send one of their people forward, and THEN ALSO the team members who didn't fight in the doubles have their own doubles fights, and then send on of THEIR one forward to have their own singles fight. At least that's what I think it is, from what they've told us.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    By my understanding, the people who fought in the doubles send one of their people forward, and THEN ALSO the team members who didn't fight in the doubles have their own doubles fights, and then send on of THEIR one forward to have their own singles fight. At least that's what I think it is, from what they've told us.
    Spoiler: V3C1
    Show
    It's definitely not the case that the team members who didn't fight in the doubles have their own doubles and singles fights. The winners of the team round choose 2 representatives for the doubles round, and the winners of the doubles round choose 1 representative for the singles round. From Professor Port's explanation, it's ambiguous whether the singles rep has to be one of the doubles reps, or has to not be one of the doubles reps, or can be anyone on the team. My bet is on the first option, but I don't really care.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Show
    Show
    There are two bits of evidence to that end: Emerald was trying to weasel RWBY's round 2 picks out of them, and Peter Port's quick rundown of the rules. However, he didn't say the 3rd round contestant had to be from the 2nd round. In fact, that would reduce the amount of excitement in the tournament if it were that limited. There wouldn't be much strategy involved and by the third round most of the surprises would have already been sprung. And knowing RWBY's 2nd round also tells them the their most likely 3rd. Blake is a shy girl who hides her faunus features, has ties to an infamous terrorist organization operating in this town, and has a crippling compulsion to run from her problems. If she's their Singles pick, I'd be very surprised - and oddly proud of her.

So, in short, I won't be calling bovine fertilizer if you're right, but I think the setup is more interesting if you're wrong. It also explains each team's behavior much better than it would otherwise.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: S2E5
    Show
    So in summary: Ruby will be the pick of the teammate who isn't going forward is eligible for round 3. Otherwise we'll see Weiss get a shot in the singles and then....

I just realized there needs to be a ton more rounds before this thing wraps up...I mean barring the robogrimm apocalypse or something...
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

12. - Top - End - #402

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    Show
    So in summary: Ruby will be the pick of the teammate who isn't going forward is eligible for round 3. Otherwise we'll see Weiss get a shot in the singles and then....

I just realized there needs to be a ton more rounds before this thing wraps up...I mean barring the robogrimm apocalypse or something...
    Show
    Thus why I think we're really going to drag this out so that Blake and RWBY get a doubles fight in the "B Round" and then one of them gets a singles fight. Cause I'm pretty sure they've said that all of this season would be just the tournament.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Ogre in the Playground

Show

With 3 rounds, they can eliminate 7 of every 8 teams.

We have evidence that more than 8 teams have entered:
    Spoiler: 3E5
    Show
    RWBY, CRME and Penny's team have all beaten round 2 (best 3 of 4) and JNPR and SSSN have beaten round 1 (best of 2), for a total of 16 team entrants confirmed through the onscreen fights. (Obviously, I assume there are more, but I'm working with concrete data.)

My prediction is that after the singles round halves the teams again, there will be a melee for the gold. We shall see.

Show

Show
    We've seen no confirmation that Weiss can buff Yang.

My current theory is that her haste enhances existing speed (meaning it won't really help Yang, especially not to the degree it helps Blake) and doesn't stack with semblances (so basically useless to Ruby).

14. - Top - End - #404
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: V3C1
    Show
    It would be strange if the tournament did not allow an equal number of teams from each region. We've seen four Beacon teams, so having 16 teams would be reasonable, implying the final round is not a melee so much as a duel. We'll see, though.

Show
    We've seen no confirmation that Weiss can buff Yang.

My current theory is that her haste enhances existing speed (meaning it won't really help Yang, especially not to the degree it helps Blake) and doesn't stack with semblances (so basically useless to Ruby).
    Show
    You're just repeating the same non-information. We equally have no confirmation of what limitations, if any, exist for Weiss' glyphs. Also, we know Weiss can buff Ruby due to the Nevermore fight, so that part of your theory is shot.
    Last edited by Lethologica; 2015-12-07 at 10:26 PM.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    You're just repeating the same non-information. We equally have no confirmation of what limitations, if any, exist for Weiss' glyphs. Also, we know Weiss can buff Ruby due to the Nevermore fight, so that part of your theory is shot.
    Spoiler: V3E5
    Show
    Weiss can place grav glyphs under whoever's feet she wishes. I don't recall her ever using haste on Ruby. Her movement glyphs - which I admit I'm not 100% sure how they work - are more of an active support; she can't fight effectively while casting them, as opposed to throwing Haste onto something*. Note that when she used the glyphs to launch Ruby then let run up a cliff, she fell down in exhaustion afterwards. It doesn't really feel like something she can maintain while also doing her own stuff.

For reference:
    Spoiler: How glyphs work? Maybe?
    Show
    Red glyph (from black, inverted white), Players and Pieces: Repulsion (launching Ruby). Note that this is the primary function of the white glyph.
    Black Glyph, Never Miss a Beat: Repulsion (launching Weiss). Note that this is the primary function of the white glyph.
    Yellow glyph, Painting the Town, No Brakes - Haste
    Blue Glyph, "White" Trailer: Lays a trap. She then casts a second blue glyph to make the first one go off, launching the knight. I don't think it's been seen since. Might not be current canon.
    Blue Glyph, First Step: Repulsion (launching Weiss). Note that this is the primary function of the white glyph. Listed separately because I don't see this as very similar to the trailer use.

White Glyph: Literally everything
    • Launching Weiss or others/repulsion. The most consistent use of the white glyph. It seems to have many modes; commonly it launchers perpendicular to the glyph, but occasionally the trajectory is parallel instead; she can make it build to an activation and then vanish once it's used or make it active as soon as it appears and stay for as long as she needs it; and so on.
    • Keeping people stationary/attraction (Players and Pieces: Running up a wall, Never Miss a Beat: Standing in trumpet blast). One may note that this is the opposite of the white glyph's primary function. Some of these can be argued to be launchings, like in Players and Pieces (I don't think it is, but the argument is there), but in NMAB she clearly kneels down on one - it's obviously acting as an anchor.
    • Creating and launching elemental constructs, presumably from the dust stored in her sword (Ex. Ice Flower, Painting the Town)
    • In the white trailer (so maybe not current canon), she fires elemental ice from her sword, which turns into hollow white glyphs which bind the knight in midair.
    Fun fact: Weiss's glyphs can emulate Ruby's (fast movement), Nora's (moving other stuff), Yang's (hitting people and making fire), and in addition to all of those, can also summon, bind people in place, and more. I can see why the Schnees are so happy it's hereditary; it's basically the omega-level semblance, power limited only by the conflict the writers still need to create.

I will admit that my theory has a hole. Namely, we never see her fight while Blake is Hasted. However, I assume that it's not a huge drain, as the glyph disappears once the buff is on Blake (and, of course, she can fight after hasting herself in No Brakes).

Haste aside, her main form of support is icing enemies. But when she had a clean shot on Flint, she chose to fire hail at him rather than anchor him with a foot shot, for (imo) unclear reasons. If she'd anchored him she could've closed to melee range trivially, and one of Weiss's best points is being competent (if not amazing) at every range. In fact, one might wonder why she spent all that time running circles around him instead of just stabbing him in the face.

Ok, I've convinced myself: The match wasn't decided because of bad synergy, it was decided because the writers didn't write weiss as competent.

*In most cases, she places glyphs in preparation for a combo attack, and the attack works if the opponent doesn't move... they rarely do. If she places reusable glyphs like in NMAB and her opponent stays stationary, she can actually continue to fight using those glyphs. Perhaps the reason that she fell for Flint's trap rather than closing in and finishing him off was she was too busy thinking "wow, this is still working? Most enemies move or something..." although that doesn't explain why she kept darting around but stopped firing. The funny thing is that she placed reusable glyphs in No Brakes as well - you can see her bounce off of some multiple times - but then she extinguishes them and that's when Banesaw grabs her. Perhaps her haste ran out so she wouldn't have been able to continue the combo anyway.

16. - Top - End - #406
    Troll in the Playground

got to say the new guy really got you on this one Leth. That's some fine analysis right there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

17. - Top - End - #407
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    Nice breakdown, berkeleven. And true to say that there's a difference between seeing Ruby buffed with the grav glyph and seeing her buffed with the time glyph. Which puts us back to the original non-informed state about who Weiss can't buff with the latter.

got to say the new guy really got you on this one Leth. That's some fine analysis right there.
    I agree with the latter, but am not sure what it has to do with the former. Discussions are give and take if they're any good, this one has had both, keeping score as a third party is odd, and starting the scorekeeping here doubly so.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: V3C5 Never miss a Beat
    Show
    Cardin's mooks show again what they are best at. Running away from a serious threat. Not that it helps them in the arena. Worse, they face Penny. I doubt anyone (well, maybe Phyrra, but she cheats) would have succeded in this situation.

I hope we get to see more of Team FNKI (I wonder what Ironwood thought when he had to announce that Team name)
    The contrast to Weiss' description was especially great. The poor Girl delivers some exposition about Atlas and expects some well equipped quasi-soldiers and suddenly a living Rainbow and a musican appear.
    Their weapons are silly enough to be awesome again. I really want to see the other teammates.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

19. - Top - End - #409
    Orc in the Playground

Show
    So seeing as though Neo is impersonating Pyrrha, where do you guys think the real Pyrrha is at right now?
    Last edited by JohnTheSavage; 2015-12-08 at 11:32 PM.
    Just "John" is fine.

Credit to Edwin for the awesome orc avatar.

20. - Top - End - #410

Quote Originally Posted by JohnTheSavage View Post
    Show
    So seeing as though Neo is impersonating Pyrrha, where do you guys think the real Pyrrha is at right now?
    Show

Assuming she IS impersonating her, which we don't know for sure, I imagine she's just training and Neo stole the message or something.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Show
    Weiss can place grav glyphs under whoever's feet she wishes. I don't recall her ever using haste on Ruby. Her movement glyphs - which I admit I'm not 100% sure how they work - are more of an active support; she can't fight effectively while casting them, as opposed to throwing Haste onto something*. Note that when she used the glyphs to launch Ruby then let run up a cliff, she fell down in exhaustion afterwards. It doesn't really feel like something she can maintain while also doing her own stuff.

For reference:
    Spoiler: How glyphs work? Maybe?
    Show
    Red glyph (from black, inverted white), Players and Pieces: Repulsion (launching Ruby). Note that this is the primary function of the white glyph.
    Black Glyph, Never Miss a Beat: Repulsion (launching Weiss). Note that this is the primary function of the white glyph.
    Yellow glyph, Painting the Town, No Brakes - Haste
    Blue Glyph, "White" Trailer: Lays a trap. She then casts a second blue glyph to make the first one go off, launching the knight. I don't think it's been seen since. Might not be current canon.
    Blue Glyph, First Step: Repulsion (launching Weiss). Note that this is the primary function of the white glyph. Listed separately because I don't see this as very similar to the trailer use.

White Glyph: Literally everything
    • Launching Weiss or others/repulsion. The most consistent use of the white glyph. It seems to have many modes; commonly it launchers perpendicular to the glyph, but occasionally the trajectory is parallel instead; she can make it build to an activation and then vanish once it's used or make it active as soon as it appears and stay for as long as she needs it; and so on.
    • Keeping people stationary/attraction (Players and Pieces: Running up a wall, Never Miss a Beat: Standing in trumpet blast). One may note that this is the opposite of the white glyph's primary function. Some of these can be argued to be launchings, like in Players and Pieces (I don't think it is, but the argument is there), but in NMAB she clearly kneels down on one - it's obviously acting as an anchor.
    • Creating and launching elemental constructs, presumably from the dust stored in her sword (Ex. Ice Flower, Painting the Town)
    • In the white trailer (so maybe not current canon), she fires elemental ice from her sword, which turns into hollow white glyphs which bind the knight in midair.
    Fun fact: Weiss's glyphs can emulate Ruby's (fast movement), Nora's (moving other stuff), Yang's (hitting people and making fire), and in addition to all of those, can also summon, bind people in place, and more. I can see why the Schnees are so happy it's hereditary; it's basically the omega-level semblance, power limited only by the conflict the writers still need to create.

I will admit that my theory has a hole. Namely, we never see her fight while Blake is Hasted. However, I assume that it's not a huge drain, as the glyph disappears once the buff is on Blake (and, of course, she can fight after hasting herself in No Brakes).

Haste aside, her main form of support is icing enemies. But when she had a clean shot on Flint, she chose to fire hail at him rather than anchor him with a foot shot, for (imo) unclear reasons. If she'd anchored him she could've closed to melee range trivially, and one of Weiss's best points is being competent (if not amazing) at every range. In fact, one might wonder why she spent all that time running circles around him instead of just stabbing him in the face.

Ok, I've convinced myself: The match wasn't decided because of bad synergy, it was decided because the writers didn't write weiss as competent.

*In most cases, she places glyphs in preparation for a combo attack, and the attack works if the opponent doesn't move... they rarely do. If she places reusable glyphs like in NMAB and her opponent stays stationary, she can actually continue to fight using those glyphs. Perhaps the reason that she fell for Flint's trap rather than closing in and finishing him off was she was too busy thinking "wow, this is still working? Most enemies move or something..." although that doesn't explain why she kept darting around but stopped firing. The funny thing is that she placed reusable glyphs in No Brakes as well - you can see her bounce off of some multiple times - but then she extinguishes them and that's when Banesaw grabs her. Perhaps her haste ran out so she wouldn't have been able to continue the combo anyway.
    Show
    You mean the Wizard is the most powerful character when properly optimized? Who'd a thought! Though I get the feeling this is the reason why her power has yet to be explicitly explained.

Also, I think the Black Glyphs are "Attraction", rather than "Repulsion", as Weiss uses them in V3E1 to pull her towards the guy she's trying to kick. Its also what the Red Glyph in Players & Pieces turns into once it goes from Pulling Ruby back to launching her.

I don't think the White Glyph can "hold" people in place, I think in both cases you listed that its just exerting a force that is counter-acting some other force (Gravity and the Trumpet, respectively).

Though one thing I think you're missing is that Weiss seems to need her Sword to use her Semblance. I don't think we've ever seen her use her glyphs without it, and its why she had to resort to a dive tackle instead of a normal glyph in her little sacrifice this episode (which would have worked better). That's kind of a glaring and exploitable weakness (if true), and I wouldn't be surprised if it was their opponent's actual strategy, since it further explains why Flynt Coal seemed to ignore her afterwards, and was impressed when Weiss came at him with a more direct attack.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Orc in the Playground

Show

Assuming she IS impersonating her, which we don't know for sure, I imagine she's just training and Neo stole the message or something.
    Show
    C'mon, who else has that cocky grin? And they even showed Neo pull her trick with Yatsuhashi just in the previous episode so we'd remember she can do that. And back in Season 2 they showed team CRMSN sizing Pyrrha up and adding her to a list or whatever. I also went back to the last time we saw "Pyrrha" in V3C3. It's a quick shot but she very pointedly isn't clapping along with the rest of her team. I also went back and compared the elevator shots between Pyrrha's this episode and Qrow's back in Brawl. I'm not 100% sure, but I think "Pyrrha" was shorter than she should be this episode. Still, it is odd that they seem to be implying that this isn't Pyrrha in the elevator but didn't use Neo's signature eye thing. Either they're trying to be subtle about it, or Pyrrha's secretly been evil this whole time because that was not a "good guy" smirk.

Or maybe the "things she's made" that Qrow mentioned are shapeshifting body-snatchers. Might have even been cloned from Neo or something. That actually kinda makes sense. The villains in RWBY have tended to be all convert and such, so those Grimm-human hybrids everyone seems to have decided were what Qrow was talking about make little actual sense in that light. Grimm are overt as hell. AND that would explain why Ironwood and co. were worried about Qrow being compromised. They wouldn't have anyway of knowing if it was the real Qrow. Screw it, calling it now, "the things she's made" are shapeshifters that are probably connected to Neo in some way. Either cloned from her, or Neo is the first one they made, or Neo is their leader or Neo's nothing special and there's lots of Neos. Whatever. Calling it. Body snatchers. THEY'RE ALL AROUND US MAN!

But yeah, back on topic, it would take like, 2 seconds for that impersonation to backfire, right? All that has to happen is Pyrrha running into Ozpin or Glynda in the hallway, or for Ozpin to hit the send button or like, anyone talking to "Pyrrha" for the proverbial jig to be up. I dunno, it just sounds like a terrible, terrible plan unless they did a full body-snatchers routine and kidnapped Pyrrha or something.
    Just "John" is fine.

23. - Top - End - #413
    Firbolg in the Playground

Show
    Might have even been cloned from Neo or something.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Considering Neo's origin in real life is an alternate version of Roman, I like the idea of linking her to clones.
    Last edited by Milo v3; 2015-12-09 at 04:14 AM.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

24. - Top - End - #414

Show
    C'mon, who else has that cocky grin? And they even showed Neo pull her trick with Yatsuhashi just in the previous episode so we'd remember she can do that. And back in Season 2 they showed team CRMSN sizing Pyrrha up and adding her to a list or whatever. I also went back to the last time we saw "Pyrrha" in V3C3. It's a quick shot but she very pointedly isn't clapping along with the rest of her team. I also went back and compared the elevator shots between Pyrrha's this episode and Qrow's back in Brawl. I'm not 100% sure, but I think "Pyrrha" was shorter than she should be this episode. Still, it is odd that they seem to be implying that this isn't Pyrrha in the elevator but didn't use Neo's signature eye thing. Either they're trying to be subtle about it, or Pyrrha's secretly been evil this whole time because that was not a "good guy" smirk.

Or maybe the "things she's made" that Qrow mentioned are shapeshifting body-snatchers. Might have even been cloned from Neo or something. That actually kinda makes sense. The villains in RWBY have tended to be all convert and such, so those Grimm-human hybrids everyone seems to have decided were what Qrow was talking about make little actual sense in that light. Grimm are overt as hell. AND that would explain why Ironwood and co. were worried about Qrow being compromised. They wouldn't have anyway of knowing if it was the real Qrow. Screw it, calling it now, "the things she's made" are shapeshifters that are probably connected to Neo in some way. Either cloned from her, or Neo is the first one they made, or Neo is their leader or Neo's nothing special and there's lots of Neos. Whatever. Calling it. Body snatchers. THEY'RE ALL AROUND US MAN!

But yeah, back on topic, it would take like, 2 seconds for that impersonation to backfire, right? All that has to happen is Pyrrha running into Ozpin or Glynda in the hallway, or for Ozpin to hit the send button or like, anyone talking to "Pyrrha" for the proverbial jig to be up. I dunno, it just sounds like a terrible, terrible plan unless they did a full body-snatchers routine and kidnapped Pyrrha or something.
    Show

Please show me a screen cap of her "cocky grin" because I don't recall seeing it. Also, we have literally no reason to assume that it was Neo pretending to be Swordbro1 in that fight. The problem with your theory is that there is no reason for Neo to be Pyrrha in that elevator, at all, both in and out of universe, both literally and also writing wise. This would be a lot easier to TELL if we had even a ghost of an inkling of what Cinder's plan was beyond "take over the robots!" but that's just the cards we've been dealt.

25. - Top - End - #415
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Show

Please show me a screen cap of her "cocky grin" because I don't recall seeing it. Also, we have literally no reason to assume that it was Neo pretending to be Swordbro1 in that fight. The problem with your theory is that there is no reason for Neo to be Pyrrha in that elevator, at all, both in and out of universe, both literally and also writing wise. This would be a lot easier to TELL if we had even a ghost of an inkling of what Cinder's plan was beyond "take over the robots!" but that's just the cards we've been dealt.
    Spoiler: V3E5 and Image
    Show
    She does have a grin, but its also pretty similar to the sort of grin Pyrrha's had before. Here's a comparison:

26. - Top - End - #416

Quote Originally Posted by Dasgovernator View Post
    Spoiler: V3E5 and Image
    Show
    She does have a grin, but its also pretty similar to the sort of grin Pyrrha's had before. Here's a comparison:

Show
    What is this a picture for ants?

(sorry had to get the reference in I appreciate the attempt but could you make it bigger?)
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2015-12-09 at 05:36 PM.

27. - Top - End - #417
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    What is this a picture for ants?
    Spoiler: V3C5 Pyrrha
    Show

28. - Top - End - #418

Spoiler: V3C5 Pyrrha
    Show
    Show
    Her smile looks nothing like Neo's in the slightest and in fact looks like a direct copy of the face Pyrrha is making in the top right hand picture of the Pyrrha pictures. Des-troooooyed.

29. - Top - End - #419
    Orc in the Playground

Show
    Her smile looks nothing like Neo's in the slightest and in fact looks like a direct copy of the face Pyrrha is making in the top right hand picture of the Pyrrha pictures. Des-troooooyed.
    Spoiler: Next Time on RWBY V3E6
    Show
    Des-troooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooyed .
    Just "John" is fine.

30. - Top - End - #420

Spoiler: Next Time on RWBY V3E6
    Show
    Des-troooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooyed .
    Show

DES-TROYED

So yeah no the ominous music is, quite clearly, meant to be related to whatever Ozpin has planned. He called her "the maiden" and a name like that is usually used for someone that's sacrificed. My guess is that whatever Ozpin's "guardian" is, it'll involve something bad happening to the "maiden".