New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: Simple RAW thread for 3.5 #31. By now, your question has probably been answered.

Q 199 Does a Psion's Telepathic Link to his Psicrystal qualify for the Mindsight feat? if yes, does this give me 1 mile range of Mindsight?

2. - Top - End - #422

Imp

Default Re: Simple RAW thread for 3.5 #31. By now, your question has probably been answered.

Q 200

If you gain a class feature, let's say evasion, from one class, trade it out, then gain it again later, is that allowed?
    What about the other way? Gain the class feature, then when you'd gain it a second time you trade it away with a trade that the other class allows for evasion?
    Last edited by kkplx; 2016-01-18 at 12:39 PM.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Ettin in the Playground

A 200

The fist is definitely allowed, you can gain a class feature several times and you can replace each one (according to the rules for the replacement)

Replacing the first instance of a class feature when you get the second instance relies on allowing the retraining rules from PHB 2.

If you are thinking about a specific combination, just ask.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Q. 201. Ride by attack + net or harpoon

I attach a harness around my horse, to which I affix my 30' trail rope. Then I harpoon or net some poor schmuck, and still have 70 foot to travel in my turn. RAW, What happens next?

Q. 202 Ride by attack + Improved Grab

I'm a Mongol styled bear totem barbarian on horseback. I have improved grab. I make a normal attack with a lance, hit, do a boatload of damage, and begin a grapple as a free action. My horse has 70 more feet to travel, but now I'm in a grapple with a groundling. How does this resolve?
    Last edited by daremetoidareyo; 2016-01-18 at 02:38 PM.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 203 I know I read this somewhere, and not just that bit in the Animals's and Pets section in Races of Fearun, that Yuanti can improve snakes to max HD advancement and 4 Int typically gaining either the Fiendish or Half-Fiend template. But I can't for the life of me find where it said that. I can picture the paragraph in my mind, upper left corner of the page with more of the Faerunian page coloration like in Magic and Races of Faerun. Does anyone know the source, and precise wording, of this text?

6. - Top - End - #426
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 204

Are there rules for whether and how you can initiate a maneuver in a grapple?

I'm specifically wondering about initiating shadow jaunt to escape from a grapple.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Firbolg in the Playground

Q 205a

If I cast a Fell Drain Magic Missile at CL 5 (3 missiles) and have it target 3 different targets, do each of them lose a level?

Q 205b
    If so, what if I target the same target with all 3 missiles, does it lose 3 levels?

8. - Top - End - #428
    Ogre in the Playground

Q206
    Is there any base class that grants +1 BAB, but does NOT grant Martial Weapon Proficiency?
    So far I have identified Battle Dancer (Dragon Compendium), but that's all...
    Quote Originally Posted by zyphyr View Post
    They don't actually love Gold, they only say that to get it into bed.
    John Dies At The End
    Sauron vs. Voldemort

9. - Top - End - #429
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
    Q206
    Is there any base class that grants +1 BAB, but does NOT grant Martial Weapon Proficiency?
    A206
    Slim pickings. My sources list:
    Half-Dragon Paragon, from Unearthed Arcana
    Mariner, from DragonLance Age of Mortals/Legend of the Twins
    Exemplar, from Technomancer Press's Player's Companion

10. - Top - End - #430
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by theterran View Post
    Q 205a

If I cast a Fell Drain Magic Missile at CL 5 (3 missiles) and have it target 3 different targets, do each of them lose a level?

Q 205b
    If so, what if I target the same target with all 3 missiles, does it lose 3 levels?
    A. 205
    The answer resides in fell drain's description: "You can alter a spell that deals damage to foes so that any living creature that is dealt damage also gains a negative level."

The negative level follows the damage from a single casting.

This leads to a situation where a single casting can make 5 targets lose a level if they have been damaged, but a single target receiving all of the damage only takes a single level.

That is why you repeating or twin spell fell drain magic missiles. You damage more people and drain more levels and then do it again.

But I do like where your mind is going...keep it up.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Titan in the Playground

Q206
    There's also Crusader, Swordsage, and Warblade, who have proficiency with some martial weapons, but not all.

Quote Originally Posted by Malimar View Post
    Q 204

Are there rules for whether and how you can initiate a maneuver in a grapple?

I'm specifically wondering about initiating shadow jaunt to escape from a grapple.
    When grappling, you are restricted to a limited set of actions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rules Compendium p60
    Regardless of who started the grapple, while you’re grappling, you can perform only the following maneuvers.
    The actions in question are:
    • Activate a magic item
    • Attack your opponent
    • Cast a spell
    • Damage your opponent
    • Draw a light weapon
    • Escape from grapple
    • Move
    • Retrieve a spell component
    • Pin your opponent
    • Break another's pin
    • Use opponent's weapon

Maneuvers are not on this list, and there is no special exception for them that I'm aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by deathbymanga View Post
    Q 199 Does a Psion's Telepathic Link to his Psicrystal qualify for the Mindsight feat? if yes, does this give me 1 mile range of Mindsight?
    No. Mindsight requires you to have the Telepathy special quality. Telepathic Link is a separate ability and does not count.

12. - Top - End - #432

Zombie

Q 207

Are there any feats that give me some extra skills as class skills? I need the Search skill for a build TT_TT

13. - Top - End - #433
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deathbymanga View Post
    Q 207

Are there any feats that give me some extra skills as class skills? I need the Search skill for a build TT_TT
    Yes. Here's a compilation of them. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...w-Class-skills

14. - Top - End - #434

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Q 208 The only two feats available for search are given to Clerics and Sorcerers. I sadly am playing a Psion. And the Kalamar feats would not be valid for my campaign (DM only allows 3.5). so, I have to ask again, is there another way to get access to the Search skill?

15. - Top - End - #435
    Ettin in the Playground

A 208

A level of Human Paragon can have any 10 skills as class skills and make one even a class skill for other levels.

16. - Top - End - #436

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    A 208

A level of Human Paragon can have any 10 skills as class skills and make one even a class skill for other levels.
    sadly I'm not a human either, I'm a warforged, so it looks like I'll just have to talk to my DM about this, thanks anyway

17. - Top - End - #437
    Ogre in the Playground

A208-and-a-half
    A Changeling with the Racial Emulation feat could take levels in Human Paragon, AND still pretend to be a Warforged with feats like Adamantine Plating or levels in Warforged Juggernaut... or Reforged.
    Quote Originally Posted by zyphyr View Post
    They don't actually love Gold, they only say that to get it into bed.
    John Dies At The End
    Sauron vs. Voldemort

18. - Top - End - #438

Zombie

A208-and-a-half
    A Changeling with the Racial Emulation feat could take levels in Human Paragon, AND still pretend to be a Warforged with feats like Adamantine Plating or levels in Warforged Juggernaut... or Reforged.
    um, I don't think Constructs count as humanoid for the sake of counting as a warforged. plus, adamantine plating is kind of a legit prosthetic enhancement on the body, doubt any changeling would like having adamantine plating grafted to their skin. plus, i'm kind of playing an actual warforged

19. - Top - End - #439

Q 209:

Can Black Blade of Disaster pass through a Prismatic Wall or Prismatic Sphere.
    Bane of disrudisplorkians, and loremaster.

20. - Top - End - #440
    Dwarf in the Playground

A 209
    The blade can pass through any magical barrier equal to or less than its spell level
    Given that it's 9th level, and that Prismatic Sphere/Wall are a) magical and b) equal to (Sphere) and lower than (wall) 9th level, yes, it can pass through.
    Last edited by ManicOppressive; 2016-01-20 at 08:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    typo report : panel 5, "pleather" I presume the p shouldn't be there.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    You live an aesthetically blessed life.

21. - Top - End - #441
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 210
    Does Witch base class (from DMG) count as Sorcerer for prerequisites (Feats/PrCs/Templates/...)?

Q 211
    Air Subtype:
    Air creatures always have fly speeds and usually have perfect maneuverability.
    If some creature will get Air subtype from Ritual of the Elements (Savage Species), what's the fly speed?

Q 212
    If Barbarian rage without using Barbarian's Rage class feature (Half-Orc Paragon, Involuntary Rage feat, lycanthropy with Badger/Dire Badger or Wolverine, effect of Rage spell, ...), then will he benefit from Greater Rage and/or Indomitable Will class feature?

22. - Top - End - #442
    Halfling in the Playground

A 212 It says on the srd: "his rage", meaning his class feature. It seems like its specific

Q 213 Can you balefully polymorph someone into an animal, then apply the warbeast template?

Q 214 If the polymorph is removed, do they keep the template?
    Last edited by emulord; 2016-01-20 at 03:38 PM.

23. - Top - End - #443
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShurikVch View Post
    Q 212
    If Barbarian rage without using Barbarian's Rage class feature (Half-Orc Paragon, Involuntary Rage feat, lycanthropy with Badger/Dire Badger or Wolverine, effect of Rage spell, ...), then will he benefit from Greater Rage and/or Indomitable Will class feature?
    A 212 correction

Yes, Greater Rage/Indomitable Will apply to rages from other sources, because other than which pool you're drawing from for uses there's no difference between rages. Though Indomitable Will is just clarifying that it stacks, and explicitly says "all other modifiers," so the question's not terribly relevant to it.

But yes, much like a Rogue's sneak attack damage can be applied to natural attacks not made as part of being a Rogue, Greater Rage can apply to rages granted by sources other than the Barbarian class.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    typo report : panel 5, "pleather" I presume the p shouldn't be there.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    You live an aesthetically blessed life.

24. - Top - End - #444

Zombie

Q 215 Can you make a called shot in 3.5?
    Last edited by deathbymanga; 2016-01-21 at 01:55 AM.

25. - Top - End - #445
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A 215 Not within the normal rules, but there may be a variant in Unearthed Arcana which introduces them.

One of the main reasons for not allowing them is they make spending one round to cast true strike before taking a called shot to the head pretty much an automatic fight winner, especially at low levels.

The closest thing to a called shot in the normal rules is probably the assassin's death attack special ability, and that takes three rounds of undetected observation...
    Last edited by Khedrac; 2016-01-21 at 06:27 AM.

26. - Top - End - #446
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 216

Can a cleric with the Pride domain who has just nat 1ed a save and then again nat 1ed on his re-roll benefit from a casting of Alter Fortune? If so, and he nat 1ed again, would the Pride Domain again come into effect?
    Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    Ugh. For the record, I hate you. I hate you very much.
    The Voidstone Arsenal

The Redeemery

Feat-buying resource

Magical Plants and Where to Find Them

Floating Disk Utility

Taking 10 resource

27. - Top - End - #447

Zombie

Q 217

Does the Precognition Power from the Psion(Seer) Power list apply to every skill check during the allotted time, or just 1 skill check that you can choose to make during this time period?

28. - Top - End - #448
    Titan in the Playground

A 217:

You can only have one precognative edge at a time, and you must choose to use it. It seems clear that the intent is to only be able to apply it to a single roll.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

29. - Top - End - #449
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 218
    Some templates may increase Size category of base creature.
    Should we always refer to that table for size-related bonus/penalties, or only when it mentioned specifically (such as Half-Minotaur)?

Q 219
    Is it possible to wound ethereal target from Material Plane by using:
    a) Blade of Force reserve feat;
    b) Death Devotion domain feat;
    c) Riverine gauntlet?

Also, bump for 210 and 211

30. - Top - End - #450
    Titan in the Playground

A 218:

By default, that table only applies to size increases as a result of monster advancement by HD. The only time it applies to any other case is when specifically called out, as by the Half-Ogre and Half-Minotaur templates.

A 219:

Blade of Force and riverine weapons will certainly work against ethereal creatures, as force effects work normally from the Material Plane to the ethereal. I'm unsure about Death Devotion: I remember seeing somewhere about positive and negative energy also being effective versus ethereal and/or incorporeal foes, but I can't find it now.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics