New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Foxside: The Temple of Inari 54 - Ten Years of Foxes

[Sanctuary]

"Oh you poor thing!"

The priestess scurries over to Komatsu and looks at his arms. How broken? Was it set? Is it healing properly? Will he ever fly again!?! Maybe she can contribute a Cure Minor Wounds to the process. But probably not. Bones are hard. And also difficult! Not at all like plant stalks.

[Errands]

Job accomplished! (as long as it doesn't lead to Katrina starting a 4th, extremely alternative dating club, it will probably be fine. And even then, it might work out)!

A kiss for Felina at the time, but after this, Arlem disappears from the temple; VIGIL needs him now. Hopefully he'll make it back in time for the spider party.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

2. - Top - End - #212
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fenric View Post
    [Koi World]

Kenji smiles and nods

Ok! Anyway, Grandfather's this way!

And he leads Steve and Ambrosia down the path: past meadows that seem normal enough and skirting around a forest that on closer inspection is clearly made of aquatic plants rather than trees. The curious pond spirits that appear as koi back in the mortal world watch quietly, a bit intimidated by the newcomers but reassured by the presence of their guardian.

What Kenji called a town is at best a tiny village with perhaps a hundred buildings altogether. It is quaint and fairly picturesque place perched on the foothills of the imposing mountain, with distinctly Meiji-era Japanese architecture and many bright red gates scattered about. Kenji doesn't go into the town, though, instead leading the way around toward a low castle set a small distance further up the mountainside.
    "So your Grandfather lives in a castle. Is he nobility or royalty?" Asks Steve. "I'm not sure if you even have human governments, but I would just like to know so that I will be able to greet and address him properly"
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    — The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 8BitNinja View Post
    Steve turns to Ambrosia, "Are you from another universe or continuity too?" He wonders if other people here are not natives to this universe.
    [Koi World]

Kenji smiles and nods

Ok! Anyway, Grandfather's this way!

And he leads Steve and Ambrosia down the path: past meadows that seem normal enough and skirting around a forest that on closer inspection is clearly made of aquatic plants rather than trees. The curious pond spirits that appear as koi back in the mortal world watch quietly, a bit intimidated by the newcomers but reassured by the presence of their guardian.

What Kenji called a town is at best a tiny village with perhaps a hundred buildings altogether. It is quaint and fairly picturesque place perched on the foothills of the imposing mountain, with distinctly Meiji-era Japanese architecture and many bright red gates scattered about. Kenji doesn't go into the town, though, instead leading the way around toward a low castle set a small distance further up the mountainside.
    [Koi World]

"Why, of course I am. I had assumed all people here where came from another world at some point, perhaps generations past." Ambrosia tells Steve. "I am new of course, drawn her by curiosity." She laughs. "But don't mind that, makes no difference from what world we are, yes?" Her eyes are turned to the mountain that they pass and then to the village until it finally settles on the castle. "My, my, how pretty it all is. Such beauty is rare to come by in this harsh world."

4. - Top - End - #214
    Pixie in the Playground

[Koi World]

Kenji smiles

I didn't think it was all that bad. There are some really nifty places in Inside. Did you know there's a garden where everything is living crystal? Or there's this really huge statue that you can go up inside of and look out over the bay?

he looks at Steve with a smile

He's not really my grandfather, we just call him that: it's a term of respect. And he lives in a castle because he wants to... nobody much argues with a thousand year old dragon koi. He came here to retire, and you should just call him Grandfather: that's what he prefers.

[Sanctuary]

His wing is quite broken: clean through with a bit of bone sticking out through the skin. It has not been set at all (let alone properly) and the last few days of healing in completely the wrong position may have put the structure beyond natural recovery anymore.

Verise replies

We can spare just about anything - we have yet to be involved in any meaningful action. And sorry, but unlike Caroline's crew my Japanese folklore's pretty dang rusty: the only Raiden I know is a loser from a video game called Mortal Kombat. So sure, we can send anything from a little scout up to the 'Fury... need a little more intel.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

Sanctuary

Well, Rai means what it always does. There's going to be lightning if he's empowered his minions here, though our requester promised the big man himself won't be stopping by. If you wish you can send someone over to talk to him so you can get a more thorough report than just me parroting him. You can assess the proper response. Right now, 'god's minion and possibly dragons' that I told you is basically all I know, besides that given the realm land-based vehicles are probably useless. Steven responds, giving a sidelong glance to the Tengu. He'll be needed momentarily, he's sure. He's still a bit tired, and can't quite remember if there's a fast way for the Werefoxes to get to the Temple or if he'll have to make one. He could probably just find one of the normal troopers scattered around here and give them orders.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

6. - Top - End - #216

[Sanctuary]

Bloom grimaces and nods.
    "You need to go to the hospital; we'll have to break your wing again so it can be healed. Follow me, and can you tell us anything more about the king?"
    She reaches out and almost grabs his by the broken wing before realizing that won't work well at all and just makes a beckoning motion.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

7. - Top - End - #217
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [Koi World]

"Why, of course I am. I had assumed all people here where came from another world at some point, perhaps generations past." Ambrosia tells Steve. "I am new of course, drawn her by curiosity." She laughs. "But don't mind that, makes no difference from what world we are, yes?" Her eyes are turned to the mountain that they pass and then to the village until it finally settles on the castle. "My, my, how pretty it all is. Such beauty is rare to come by in this harsh world."
    [Koi World]

Kenji smiles

I didn't think it was all that bad. There are some really nifty places in Inside. Did you know there's a garden where everything is living crystal? Or there's this really huge statue that you can go up inside of and look out over the bay?

he looks at Steve with a smile

He's not really my grandfather, we just call him that: it's a term of respect. And he lives in a castle because he wants to... nobody much argues with a thousand year old dragon koi. He came here to retire, and you should just call him Grandfather: that's what he prefers.
    Steve turns to Kenji "Thank you for telling me, I'm glad I know that now." Steve then turns to Ambrosia "This world may be harsh, but it must have some sort of beauty, like this. Even at the frontline of the battle between good and evil and seeing some pretty gruesome stuff, I've also seen many wonders"
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave

8. - Top - End - #218

[Koi World]

"Oh, I don't mean this world specifically, I meant the world as in general. Beauty is more than just what the eye can see, it is the feeling you get from the place. There are many beautiful places but there are few where beauty and peace are in balance. Life in general is a struggle to survive and it reflects in the places which we make our homes. Walls to shut others out with, law enforcers, disharmony, strife... it is simply the way of nature." Ambrosia argues as she follows along. "Grandfather probably know better than me though, I might speak like an old woman but I'm still very young and inexperienced. A bawling baby really." At least to dragons.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Pixie in the Playground

[Koi World]

Kenji nods, but has to giggle a bit at the last part.

And I'm eighteen. Most of the time, it'd be a hundred years before I was let out of the cave! But I'm only half dragon, and Mom and Dad trust Myobi to keep me out of too much trouble.

They reach the gates of the castle. It truly does deserve the name, if only in style: it would be little more than a mountain outpost in the glorious days of the empire. But it is tastefully and exquisitely built with innumerable decorations and carvings, statues and arrangements of plants.

There is no guard... none is needed here. Kenji leads them inside, past a garden that was clearly tended carefully for a long time but is starting to be overgrown. Kenji sighs

I do my best... but I'm no gardener. Grandfather hasn't been able to tend to the garden, and asked us to stop bringing gifts...

He looks to a small "grove" of cherry saplings, the oldest of which has been growing for perhaps nine years... and briefly forgets his guests

They say that if you really, truly, need to understand time, look to the trees. They know and alter the passage of time. If you can understand them, then you can change the world.

he shakes his head

Sorry, old nonsense and fairy tales. Come on, this way.

[Sanctuary]

Komatsu winces

I was afraid it'd be something like that. Well... if that's what it has to be then let's go.

he shrinks back before she can touch the damaged limb anyway, then nods and follows

King Agadashi started the reconciliation, many lives of men ago: teaching us to be more like the kind Kitsune... or at least like the mischievous Nogitsune rather than the dreadful Oni whom we tended to associate with. He is a great man: kind, brilliant, and wise... but he is also old, and the succession is contested between his sons who would see his legacy continue, and his younger brother's... who would return to the old ways.

Verise hmms

We treat it like a space engagement, then: the 'Fury it is, with only minor marine support. How fast do you need us there?

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

Sanctuary

Well, he's pretty insistent that it's urgent and we should go before this guy wins over any more dragons and stuff over to his side. I suppose he could brief me while you get here, though I need to make some of my own preparations. Steven responds.
    Like eating.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Troll in the Playground

[Koi World]

"Oh, I don't mean this world specifically, I meant the world as in general. Beauty is more than just what the eye can see, it is the feeling you get from the place. There are many beautiful places but there are few where beauty and peace are in balance. Life in general is a struggle to survive and it reflects in the places which we make our homes. Walls to shut others out with, law enforcers, disharmony, strife... it is simply the way of nature." Ambrosia argues as she follows along. "Grandfather probably know better than me though, I might speak like an old woman but I'm still very young and inexperienced. A bawling baby really." At least to dragons.
    [Koi World]

And I'm eighteen. Most of the time, it'd be a hundred years before I was let out of the cave! But I'm only half dragon, and Mom and Dad trust Myobi to keep me out of too much trouble.

They reach the gates of the castle. It truly does deserve the name, if only in style: it would be little more than a mountain outpost in the glorious days of the empire. But it is tastefully and exquisitely built with innumerable decorations and carvings, statues and arrangements of plants.

There is no guard... none is needed here. Kenji leads them inside, past a garden that was clearly tended carefully for a long time but is starting to be overgrown. Kenji sighs

I do my best... but I'm no gardener. Grandfather hasn't been able to tend to the garden, and asked us to stop bringing gifts...

He looks to a small "grove" of cherry saplings, the oldest of which has been growing for perhaps nine years... and briefly forgets his guests

They say that if you really, truly, need to understand time, look to the trees. They know and alter the passage of time. If you can understand them, then you can change the world.

he shakes his head

"And I meant the world in general as well" Steve says to Ambrosia. "I've seen nasty things, but there have been moments and places in life that will take your breath away. But I too am young." He turns to Kenji, "No need to be sorry. Where I am from, old wives tales and myths sometimes might be true, and this world has more fantastic elements than mine. In fact, no one knew that water dwelling dragons like Mizuchi existed in my world until we bumped into one." Says Steve. He pauses briefly "we found out at my brother in arms and good friend's wedding cruise. The dragon ate the bride and groom." Steve sounds more serious in the last sentence. "Anyway, this place is very nice"

12. - Top - End - #222

Default [Sanctuary -> Wing-breaking]

"You mean Sojobo isn't the king anymore? Goodness!"

Bloom leads down out of the Sanctuary and to the South. He'll do better once she gets a real doctor who can do x-rays and good healing spells.

"This is just the problem with monarchies, you know! People think that because they're related to some guy they're qualified to do anything at all! Not like a proper dictatorship. If you didn't have these silly rules he could just pick someone else who's kind and wise!"
    "So there's a whole family of villains? Oni-like nobility, how dreadful!"

She does a little spin, just for the drama of it.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

[Path to the Temple]

A young lady wanders along the path to the temple, stopping everyone once in a while to look at the scenery and whistle in amazement, or smile at the beauty of the area. She's no older than 24, and is wearing jeans and a navy blue t-shirt, the kind that is a step between a real polo and a normal cotton t-shirt. Her hair and eyes are both azure, but by far the most shocking thing about her, at least to those that have the ability to sense such things, is how open her mind is. Quite literally, it is utterly undefended, and almost like a drain, letting any astral motes flow in, and looking very attractive to any beings that perhaps might be looking for a meat-puppet to play with.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Pixie in the Playground

[Sanctuary]

Verise nods, even though Steven can't see her

Gotchya: half an hour's the fastest we can possibly muster. I imagine our arrival will freak folks out a bit, so you might want to give them a head's up.

[Sanctuary->Hospital]

That last location tag was so loud, Komatsu heard it, and winces. Then he nods to Blossom

Shojobo was a long time ago, Blossom. His piety and earnest work eventually lead to his enlightenment and he was reborn into heaven ages ago... But he was the inspiration that convinced us to leave the ways of darkness and death behind.

[Path to the Temple]

Oh, man... what a silly human. How did this one make it all the way here without getting possessed already?

The little red fox curled up under a bush is fairly unremarkable overall: a bit on the small side, his eyes are maybe a little more brown than amber and his fur might have a touch more dark coloration than usual. A little more angular of a face, somewhat sharper teeth... but it takes more than normal senses to distinguish a mundane fox from a Kitsune from this little guy.

Three tails wag at slightly different speeds at the Nogitsune begins to concentrate. Then he rolls a ball out onto the path: ink-black and shiny, it bounces and hops and spins in front of the newcomer

Oh no! My ball! Someone please help!
    Last edited by Fenric; 2016-04-12 at 12:53 PM.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

Sanctuary

Steven gives an affirmitive before "hanging up" and heading out, with the Tengu having already left. He needs to make preparations: the temple must be alerted to the incoming marines, and he needs to get showered and fed.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

[Path to the Temple]

The woman stops when she sees the ball, tilts her head as she looks at it curiously, but when she hears someone cry out for their ball, she reacts with reflexes she would call 'lightning-fast', but in reality are perhaps just slightly above average, and tries to snatch the ball out of it's momentum, holding it up and calling, "Hello? Is this yours, whoever you are?"

17. - Top - End - #227

Default [Hospital]

"How amazing! Wonderful for him. And his inspiration has lasted even to this day!"

Bloom hurries into the hospital and greets the worker at the front desk.

"This is Komatsu! His wing was broken by dragons, the poor dear - it really was, and it's healed all wrong because he was chased away from his home."

She doesn't correct him about all those 's' letters he put in her name. That's a nice name. More flowery than the one she has.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

18. - Top - End - #228

[Koi World]

he shakes his head

Quote Originally Posted by 8BitNinja View Post
    "And I meant the world in general as well" Steve says to Ambrosia. "I've seen nasty things, but there have been moments and places in life that will take your breath away. But I too am young." He turns to Kenji, "No need to be sorry. Where I am from, old wives tales and myths sometimes might be true, and this world has more fantastic elements than mine. In fact, no one knew that water dwelling dragons like Mizuchi existed in my world until we bumped into one." Says Steve. He pauses briefly "we found out at my brother in arms and good friend's wedding cruise. The dragon ate the bride and groom." Steve sounds more serious in the last sentence. "Anyway, this place is very nice"
    [Koi World]

The scholar blinks and suddenly tunes out everything but one singular piece of information. "Did you say 'half-dragon'?" She asks with a surprised stare at Kenji. "How... does that work? I've heard of half-dragons before but they were described differently. I got the idea that the union was more of a conceptual nature than a biological one." She glances at Steve. "I'll comment on that in a second, I need to hear this." SHe's rather engaged in all of this.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Pixie in the Playground

[Vulpine Imperial Outpost]

Much scurrying around is in progress... So exciting! A chance at last to put their skills to use! Too bad for Katrina and Caroline, though: doesn't look like there will be any call for tanks this time around.

[Hospital]

Komatsu is taken away and subjected to acts of medical care. It is not entirely pleasant, but at least his arm will be fixed!

[Koi World]

Kenji winces

Eaten by a dragon at their own wedding? Ouch... sorry...

Feral dragons can be scary.

Well... Mom's really a dragon and Dad's really a Celestial planar traveler. And because both Mom and Dad can shapeshift...

The poor little guy is now quite thoroughly embarrassed.

[Path to the Temple]

Oh, yes! Thank you so much.

But the speaker is not yet visible.

Meanwhile... The ball is smooth and warm, pleasing to hold and inviting to look at. Very inviting... compelling, even. The shiny black sphere seems to beckon and encourage and lead one down into it's comfortable dark depths.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Troll in the Playground

[Koi World]

Kenji winces

Eaten by a dragon at their own wedding? Ouch... sorry...

Feral dragons can be scary.

Well... Mom's really a dragon and Dad's really a Celestial planar traveler. And because both Mom and Dad can shapeshift...

The poor little guy is now quite thoroughly embarrassed.
    "You don't have to go into it any more if you don't want to." says Steve. "I have a half reptilian friend, absolutely great with a bow, but he had one weird childhood."

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

[Path to the Temple]

The woman nods and calls back, "Oh, of course! No problem!" as she assumes that whoever it is will appear from the bushes soon, and that the ball had simply rolled quite a ways. But when she looks down at the ball as she starts walking towards the voice, she slows to a stop as her eyes lock onto the ball, widen, and almost go blank as she stands there, transfixed by it, losing herself in it's warm, dark depths.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Pixie in the Playground

Default [Path to the Temple]

To anyone 'outside' her mind, the woman will merely glance at the ball a moment. Her body will feel a compulsion to put the ball away in a pocket and then go quietly have a seat by the pond. Given that her mind is elsewhere, there should not be much resistance...

'Inside', deep in the comforting darkness, the woman meets a little fox with three tails.

Hi! Thanks for coming to rescue me!

he looks around

It's really not that bad a place, but it's empty.

A door appears behind her, vague and ill-defined

I can't open the door, but maybe you can. Then we can escape!

Of course: it's not true. That's the door to her own inner space and once she opens it and lets the little fox in, he will be able to take control!

23. - Top - End - #233

Default [Hospital]

With that poor guy seen to, Bloom heads back to the priests' quarters to make a call.
    "Hi! Yes, I'm-no, I don't have time to talk. I need the ship! Yes, yes, yes, at the temple. Quick as you can!"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

24. - Top - End - #234
    Pixie in the Playground

Default [Above the Sanctuary]

At first there is merely a hum, like a large transformer without a load. After a moment, that swiftly intensifies and a tiny dot of blazing darkness, surrounded by tendrils of purple-black rimed with blazing light that open an ever expanding sphere. With an electrical hiss and a stunning clap of thunder, it all vanishes: leaving in it's place a spaceship.

An odd design, overall: a long rectangular central body fronted by a significant trapezoidal "head". Two long rectangular nacelles are held apart from the body: one on each side, running the length of the body but stopping somewhat short of the head. Those familiar with such things will note the lack of the huge central gun-port for a Yamato cannon.

Cavalry's arrived, Stephen.

Komatsu is out in the grass in front of the hospital, arm now quite thoroughly bound up in a cast. He blinks at the enormous space-craft.

Oh.
    Last edited by Fenric; 2016-04-15 at 10:48 AM.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

[Path to the Temple?]

The woman's body walks without any resistance over to the side of the pond, sitting down on her knees and waiting for resolution.

Meanwhile, 'inside' the ball, the woman nods and says, "Oh, of course! How'd you get stuck in here to begin with?" as she walks over to the door.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Pixie in the Playground

Default [Somewhere...]

The little fox frowns

This meany demon from the moon tried to eat my soul and steal my body, but he didn't understand how foxes work and I ended up stuck in my own ball.

The door solidifies and becomes tangible as the woman approaches it.

Name's Nobu, by the way. What's yours?

(( Full points for clever use of stories you've heard, little guy, but I'm going to have to dock you for revealing that you're a magical spirit-fox and anyone sensible would now know you're not the good kind of fox: your ball is the wrong color.

pppbbbbtttt!))
    Last edited by Fenric; 2016-04-15 at 12:03 PM.

27. - Top - End - #237

[Koi World]

"Oh." She bites her lip, that answer had only raised more yet now Kenji was embarrassed.
    So his human mother could shapeshift as well? Into a dragon? The line between dragons and the other races was truly thinner in this place. All boundaries were crossable around here. "Well, I'm sure Grandfather can tell me more about that." Better do that quickly now before things got even more awkward...

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

[Over the Rainbow?]

The woman nods and says, "Ah, I see. I'm Alicia, by the way. So you're a kitsune, huh? Cool. I thought you guys were myths," as she opens the door.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Troll in the Playground

[Koi World]

"Oh." She bites her lip, that answer had only raised more yet now Kenji was embarrassed.
    So his human mother could shapeshift as well? Into a dragon? The line between dragons and the other races was truly thinner in this place. All boundaries were crossable around here. "Well, I'm sure Grandfather can tell me more about that." Better do that quickly now before things got even more awkward...
    "I'm pretty sure the meeting with Grandfather will give you more questions than answers, after all, you are basically having an interview with a water dragon. From my own experience, I have learned that dragons can give you hours of questions just from one or two questions answered, and you probably have more than two questions prepared" Says Steve. Steve himself can't wait to meet Grandfather It's been to long since he spoke to a benevolent dragon.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

Sanctuary

Steven returns at this point, having had his proper shower, found his more practical set of robes, and found what was left of breakfast. Eclipse is in its proper place.
    "You asked for a crusade, Komatsu. You're going to have to be the guide, though. Since they're not going to have any information on what they're getting into." he tells him quietly.