New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Illusion school rules interpretation - am I right?

I have a conundrum.

I've always played illusions spells as "as soon as you perceive the spell you get a save to disbelieve." Meaning if they notice something through a spot, listen or search check they should get a save to disbelieve in addition to the opportunity to save vs a major illusion as soon as it walks up to them.

Am I playing it wrong? I've always thought to interact would be it having an effect on one of your senses. By effect I mean, showing up on them.

If I'm wrong, could you help clarify?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Illusion school rules interpretation - am I right?

I believe that interacting with involves tactile sensation in some way. I could be mistaken, but I think if I make an illusion of a giant praying mantis at the end of a hall, they only get the save if they attack it (or if my illusion attacks them) or if they otherwise physically move to a place where they'd be in physical contact.

I might alter this a bit in some other ways. If I make the illusion of a fire elemental I might allow a save if a player was close enough to feel the heat of such a creature pouring off of it, or if I make the illusion of a tray of limburger cheese a player might get a save if they get close enough to it to smell it. Those are sensory things that have an "effect" on the player.

This is why illusions to hide doors (or gaping holes in the floors) are extra tricky.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

To interact with something generally requires some kind of action. Making a reactive Spot or Listen check is not an action, so it isn't an interaction either. An active Spot or Listen check does use an action, so it should suffice.

4. - Top - End - #4

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Afgncaap5 View Post
    I believe that interacting with involves tactile sensation in some way. I could be mistaken, but I think if I make an illusion of a giant praying mantis at the end of a hall, they only get the save if they attack it (or if my illusion attacks them) or if they otherwise physically move to a place where they'd be in physical contact.

I might alter this a bit in some other ways. If I make the illusion of a fire elemental I might allow a save if a player was close enough to feel the heat of such a creature pouring off of it, or if I make the illusion of a tray of limburger cheese a player might get a save if they get close enough to it to smell it. Those are sensory things that have an "effect" on the player.

This is why illusions to hide doors (or gaping holes in the floors) are extra tricky.
    I can see where you're coming from, but I thought that seeing the illusions was it interacting with you, and that interaction allowed the save.

Using phantasmal killer as an example. You get a save to disbelieve as soon as you see it. You don't have to wait for it to touch you to save. You get to save vs death then.

Why are other illusions different? Why wouldn't you get a chance to disbelieve any illusions like you would th phantasmal killer?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Doesn't that interfere with the rule that a character faced with proof that an illusion isn't real automatically disbelieves? Being attacked by a fake praying mantis doesn't give you a safe, you automatically make it when you pass your check.

Another wacky thing about that rule is that, technically, anyone who makes their spellcraft check on an illusion spell automatically disbelieves it, since they have proof it isn't real.
    If any idiot ever tells you that life would be meaningless without death, Hyperion recommends killing them!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Zanos View Post
    Doesn't that interfere with the rule that a character faced with proof that an illusion isn't real automatically disbelieves? Being attacked by a fake praying mantis doesn't give you a safe, you automatically make it when you pass your check.
    depends if it hits you or not. If it misses you get a save to disbelieve

Another wacky thing about that rule is that, technically, anyone who makes their spellcraft check on an illusion spell automatically disbelieves it, since they have proof it isn't real.
    Yeap. That's sound. Makes feats that hide what you do very handy for illusionists
    Handbook in Process:Getting the Facts Straight: A Guide to the Factotum

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Singular Band: There can be only one
    Khayal: A monster class worth playing

Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    Player: I'll use a classic ploy. "Help! Guards! He's having a seizure!"
    DM: You're the only one in the prison.
    Player: I'm very convincing.
    DM: And there are no guards.
    Player: But there's masonry.
    DM: It's not even animate, let alone sentient.
    Player: That's ok. I'll take the penalty.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

Generally, unless they take specific action to study it, or try to do something that they could do with it if it were real, I won't give them a save, because they haven't interacted with it. If they act like it's an illusion anyway (and there are no mechanics forcing them not to), then that means the player - and thus the character - was unconvinced by it even if he can't convince his subconscious it's not real. Generally, illusions (well, figments, at least) only work at all if they have that shot at just "passing" without anybody doubting them in the first place.

Phantasms get saves immediately largely because they tend to be directly interacting with the target, anyway. Phantasmal killer is actively trying to scare the target to death. That's an interaction immediately.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

IMO, yeah, you're doing it wrong.

Just seeing/hearing an illusory object isn't enough to get a save. If you're not caarefully examining it or trying to actually touch it then it doesn't warrant consideration for belief or disbelief.

This is, ultimately, a DM call though. The official line is thus;

Quote Originally Posted by srd
    Saving Throws and Illusions (Disbelief)

Creatures encountering an illusion usually do not receive saving throws to recognize it as illusory until they study it carefully or interact with it in some fashion.
    What, exaclty, constitutes careful study or interaction is up to the DM. I'd say that entering into combat with an illusory creature should cerainly count but YMMV.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

9. - Top - End - #9

RogueGuy

So, no save vs illusions unless you try to poke, prod, taste, smell it?

Why would seeing or hearing it not give you a chance to realize that it isn't real?
    Last edited by Dren Nas; 2016-04-15 at 04:08 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

RogueGuy

Wouldn't blocking doors and holes be considered an interaction?

Interaction is defined as "reciprocal action or influence."

It seems to me that blocking your sight could be considered an influence on you.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Dren Nas View Post
    Otherwise, Why would seeing or hearing it not give you a chance to realize that it isn't real?
    It does. But that takes a standard action as per the rules.

Illusions are fragile enough as is. They don't need to be rendered any more vulnerable.

Edit:
    Wouldn't blocking doors and holes be considered an interaction?

Interaction is defined as "reciprocal action or influence."

It seems to me that blocking your sight could be considered an influence on you.
    I bolded the part you missed. After all, if an illusion is blocking your sight, what, then, are you doing to the illusion to make it reciprocal? Answer: nothing. The very definition you cite explains why you don't get a save.
    Last edited by Deophaun; 2016-04-15 at 04:15 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Kobold

Dres Nas>

remember back in Order of the Stick 892: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0892.html

Translating this comic to a possible game scenario: player C casts silent image to look like the wall he is casting it in front of only with a slight angle difference. The bad guys then enter the room, walking past the illusionary wall with no other interaction with it and no particular reason to pay attention to the walls of the chamber.

These bad guys are NOT making saving throws. Why not? Because there has been NO meaningful interaction with the illusion beyond walking by it and the wall is a convincing illusion.

Now if player C had made the wall bright pink or something to make the illusion less convincing, then they could have warranted a saving throw. Because seeing something weird will draw your attention to it and make you scrutinize it which is a meaningful interaction.

In an example someone gave above of an illusion of a giant praying mantis, would they get a save? That really depends on the circumstances around the encounter. Is a giant praying mantis a really weird thing to find in that hallway or is that pretty par for the course? If giant praying mantises are as common as house-cats, then probably they wouldn't get a save upon seeing it without some other interaction. If they are expecting monstrous guardians in these halls and they see one like that, I would base the saving throw off what their reaction to it is. Do they say "yikes! look at the size of that thing!" and turn around and shut the door and decide to go another way? Then no save. Do they charge and attack? Well when their swords start going through it that's an auto-disbelieve. Do they say "wait, how does this guy keep a creature like that down here? that makes no sense. I'm going to stay here but look closer at the mantis" Then, yeah, welcome to your save.

Now if none of that is convincing, let me appeal to you this way. You are the DM. Do you want your Players to stop casting all illusions, treat the school as an auto-drop school, and give up using illusions against the PCs as enemy tactics? Because that's the most probable outcome if you DM illusions the way you are. You are basically handicapping illusion and handicapping the PCs ability to use illusions tactically. Why would I ever use silent image in your game? The more bad guys, the more automatic the failure of the spell.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, as long as you and your players are on the same wavelength.

13. - Top - End - #13

RogueGuy

It does. But that takes a standard action as per the rules.

Illusions are fragile enough as is. They don't need to be rendered any more vulnerable.
    I'm not trying to weaken them. I've been playing through various groups as a dm and a played since '03. Most everyone's I've played with has treated them the same way.

I bolded the part you missed. After all, if an illusion is blocking your sight, what, then, are you doing to the illusion to make it reciprocal? Answer: nothing. The very definition you cite explains why you don't get a save.

Good point, but it says "or" not "and". You may not be acting on it, but it is still acting on you by blocking your sight.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Good point, but it says "or" not "and". You may not be acting on it, but it is still acting on you by blocking your sight.
    Simply existing is not a meaningful interaction, IMO. Blocking LoS isn't an action being taken, it's a passive state of existence. If it was an -actual- wall there, you wouldn't even consider saying it was acting in any way, would you? Of course not, it's just there and simply existing is nearly the definition of inaction.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.

15. - Top - End - #15

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gallowglass View Post
    Dres Nas>

remember back in Order of the Stick 892: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0892.html

Translating this comic to a possible game scenario: player C casts silent image to look like the wall he is casting it in front of only with a slight angle difference. The bad guys then enter the room, walking past the illusionary wall with no other interaction with it and no particular reason to pay attention to the walls of the chamber.

These bad guys are NOT making saving throws. Why not? Because there has been NO meaningful interaction with the illusion beyond walking by it and the wall is a convincing illusion.

Now if player C had made the wall bright pink or something to make the illusion less convincing, then they could have warranted a saving throw. Because seeing something weird will draw your attention to it and make you scrutinize it which is a meaningful interaction.
    I've always thought how convincing the wall is was worked into the will save giving a bonus or negative depending on how familiar the surroundings were. That's how I've always played it.

In an example someone gave above of an illusion of a giant praying mantis, would they get a save? That really depends on the circumstances around the encounter. Is a giant praying mantis a really weird thing to find in that hallway or is that pretty par for the course? If giant praying mantises are as common as house-cats, then probably they wouldn't get a save upon seeing it without some other interaction. If they are expecting monstrous guardians in these halls and they see one like that, I would base the saving throw off what their reaction to it is. Do they say "yikes! look at the size of that thing!" and turn around and shut the door and decide to go another way? Then no save. Do they charge and attack? Well when their swords start going through it that's an auto-disbelieve. Do they say "wait, how does this guy keep a creature like that down here? that makes no sense. I'm going to stay here but look closer at the mantis" Then, yeah, welcome to your save.
    I've always thought that was baked into the will saves. The barb and fighter move to attack the mantis while the wizard and cleric chuckle to themselves as the gullible ones are tricked again kinda thing.

Now if none of that is convincing, let me appeal to you this way. You are the DM. Do you want your Players to stop casting all illusions, treat the school as an auto-drop school, and give up using illusions against the PCs as enemy tactics? Because that's the most probable outcome if you DM illusions the way you are. You are basically handicapping illusion and handicapping the PCs ability to use illusions tactically. Why would I ever use silent image in your game? The more bad guys, the more automatic the failure of the spell.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, as long as you and your players are on the same wavelength.
    I can see your point, but playing it that way doesn't give the players or enemies a chance to fail when they cast the spell. I can definitely see treating illusions differently from here on because of the feedback on this tread though.

Question: If you cast an illusions spell to make a wall appear to hide you in front of an enemy, would they get a save to disbelieve?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Question: If you cast an illusions spell to make a wall appear to hide you in front of an enemy, would they get a save to disbelieve?
    If they see the wall pop out of nowhere... sureedit: invisible bison makes a good point; it might just be a physical wall that is popped into existence so no save unless you touch/spend time examining; if it appeared to be smoke or other cover-y thing besides solid wall then probably not.
    Last edited by Gildedragon; 2016-04-15 at 05:02 PM.
    Handbook in Process:Getting the Facts Straight: A Guide to the Factotum

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Singular Band: There can be only one
    Khayal: A monster class worth playing

Player: I'll use a classic ploy. "Help! Guards! He's having a seizure!"
    DM: You're the only one in the prison.
    Player: I'm very convincing.
    DM: And there are no guards.
    Player: But there's masonry.
    DM: It's not even animate, let alone sentient.
    Player: That's ok. I'll take the penalty.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Probably not. There are a lot of spells that make actual, physical walls appear, after all. If the enemy knows somehow that you aren't capable of casting a spell to create a wall, or recognizes that you're casting an illusion spell, he'd probably get a save. Otherwise, simply seeing the wall appear shouldn't give a save.

18. - Top - End - #18

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    Simply existing is not a meaningful interaction, IMO. Blocking LoS isn't an action being taken, it's a passive state of existence. If it was an -actual- wall there, you wouldn't even consider saying it was acting in any way, would you? Of course not, it's just there and simply existing is nearly the definition of inaction.
    I see what you're saying.

How would you handle an illusionary wall blocking something? would a 20th level wizard really not have a chance to realize a wall created by minor image from a 4th level caster is just an illusion because he isn't studying it?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Depends on a couple of factors.

If you're being pursued and cover a corridor that -should- be there with a wall, they'll almost certainly realize something is wrong.

If you duck into an alcove in a wall that only has the one alcove and cover that, probably not.

If you make two consecutive turns at intersections and cover the second before the persuers round the first, it depends on how familiar the persuers are with the area.

If they actually see you conjure the wall, they may try to knock it down and would certainly get a save or even automatically disbelieve when it provides no resistance to their attacks.

Figments and the will save to disbelieve are -extremely- GM and situation dependent.

How would you handle an illusionary wall blocking something? would a 20th level wizard really not have a chance to realize a wall created by minor image from a 4th level caster is just an illusion because he isn't studying it?
    I would presume that a 20th level wizard made arcane sight permanent long ago and can make a spellcraft check to reckognize the wall as illusory by its aura. Success would mean proof that the wall isn't real and auto-pass the save to disbelieve.
    Last edited by Kelb_Panthera; 2016-04-15 at 05:04 PM.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

I have a conundrum.

I've always played illusions spells as "as soon as you perceive the spell you get a save to disbelieve." Meaning if they notice something through a spot, listen or search check they should get a save to disbelieve in addition to the opportunity to save vs a major illusion as soon as it walks up to them.

Am I playing it wrong? I've always thought to interact would be it having an effect on one of your senses. By effect I mean, showing up on them.

If I'm wrong, could you help clarify?
    Well, first, let's check out the Illusion school description in the SRD for reference, specifically the saving throws section:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Saving Throws and Illusions (Disbelief)

Creatures encountering an illusion usually do not receive saving throws to recognize it as illusory until they study it carefully or interact with it in some fashion.

A successful saving throw against an illusion reveals it to be false, but a figment or phantasm remains as a translucent outline.

A failed saving throw indicates that a character fails to notice something is amiss. A character faced with proof that an illusion isn’t real needs no saving throw. If any viewer successfully disbelieves an illusion and communicates this fact to others, each such viewer gains a saving throw with a +4 bonus.

Key phrase is: "Creatures encountering an illusion usually do not receive saving throws to recognize it as illusory until they study it carefully or interact with it in some fashion."

It's somewhat vaguely worded; if you're the DM, your word runs. As you're just giving them the save, it's unlikely that your players will complain (unless they're illusionists).

How would I run it?
    If you ask for a perception check (Spot, Listen, Search, et cetera), then it counts as studying carefully as you're deliberately trying to be observant, so you get the save.
    If you're interacting with something that's got an illusion on it (non-exhaustive examples: discussing tactics with a man under the effects of Disguise Self, touching a building under the effects of Mirage Arcana, or fighting a creature summoned up via Shadow Conjouration), then you're interacting with it, so you get the save.
    If you're walking normally down a hallway (not doing anything special - not searching, not running your hand along the wall as you go, not tapping a cane to listen for echoes, etcetera) then you don't get a save to realize that you just passed an Illusory Wall that covers up a branch off the main hallway.

What constitutes proof varies a bit too, of course, but in general if you watch something you know is solid pass through it, you've got your proof.

Edit: Oh yes, and I'd definitely grant a save if they see the wall spring up out of nowhere. Sure, it might be a Wall of Stone or some such, but that's not a definite conclusion, and they'd be watching things in that circumstance.
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2016-04-15 at 05:05 PM.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

21. - Top - End - #21

If he has no reason to examine the wall or think i could be an illusion, no. (the 20th level wizard probably has permanent arcane sight or detect magic, so that will show him a magical wall)
    Last edited by Larsen; 2016-04-15 at 05:04 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

A 20th level wizard has a variety of spells that are capable of automatically defeating nearly all illusions. He would probably use those.
    If any idiot ever tells you that life would be meaningless without death, Hyperion recommends killing them!

23. - Top - End - #23

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Larsen View Post
    If he has no reason to examine the wall or think i could be an illusion, no. (the 20th level wizard probably has permanent arcane sight or detect magic, so that will show him a magical wall)
    Without detect magic or arcane sight

24. - Top - End - #24

Then no (that was the answer before mentionning the spells)

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

I'd be wondering how he made 20 without such a necessary effect but in that case it depends on where the wall suddenly appeared, same as for anyone else. High level doesn't give you any special resistance or advantage beyond the tools it makes available. If you don't avail yourself of those tools, you don't get any special treatment.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    I'd be wondering how he made 20 without such a necessary effect but in that case it depends on where the wall suddenly appeared, same as for anyone else. High level doesn't give you any special resistance or advantage beyond the tools it makes available. If you don't avail yourself of those tools, you don't get any special treatment.
    It's hypothetical XD

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

It's hypothetical XD
    I get that but you need more than just the illusory wall itself in your hypothetical scenario for us to meaningfully suggest which way to rule it. There's an enormous difference between a big pink wall standing freely in an open field and a wall matched to the cobblestones of the corridor covering one leg of an intersection. There's also the familiarity of the person seeing the wall with the area, the sensibility of a wall being in that place, and any magical or mundane effort to look for hidden passages and alcoves to consider. Just "a wall" isn't enough information.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground

It's hypothetical XD
    Isn't that kind of like saying "Are you saying a 20th level Fighter couldn't out-wrestle a 4th level Fighter? By the way, the 20th level Fighter doesn't have any arms..."?

Quote Originally Posted by Winter_Wolf View Post
    At least we can say Kid Jake has style. And possibly is insane.
    My Campaign Journals

29. - Top - End - #29
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

Pick an area you frequent in real life, along with other people you know. Make a small mark on a wall in this area with a pencil. Wait a day, and ask the other people how many of them noticed it in a direct and conscious way. Odds are that number will be near zero because even if it caught their eye once, most will not think anything of it. It's a wall.

In the same sense, if you walk past am illusionary wall, it is doing absolutely nothing to attract your attention. Even if the illusion is not quite perfect, in the absence of something really drawing your attention, there's no reason for you to pay attention to it.

Now if you have encountered several illusions in this area already, it's plausible that you might make a deliberate effort to examine the walls, triggering the will save to disbelieve. Otherwise, it's just a wall, why would you even look twice?

It's like noticing a trap. If your not deliberately searching, you're mostly just accepting that one bit of floor is just like the rest, and you're not going to notice that trap door until you step on it.

And just to reiterate what has been mentioned, illusions are already a weaker option to pursue, especially since so much DM adjudication is necessary on when and how am illusion becomes apparent. Giving an automatic will save on on sight is completely crippling. Always remember, it may not seem like a problem with NPC illusionists because they don't exist outside of the encounter, so a failed save is just one save. When a player has an automatic chance at failure in every single encounter, they are going to rack up a large number of frustrating moments. Especially since as noted, more opponents mean less chance of success.

And to counter your example, why should a level 20 wizard always have a 5% chance of a level 1 commoner automatically seeing they his illusions? In fact, by your rules, a level 20 wizard at a country fair is going to always be called out by at least one person in a crowd of he tries to use illusions to put on a show.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

20 + spell level Identify a spell that’s already in place and in effect. You must be able to see or detect the effects of the spell. No action required. No retry.

So an easy spellcraft check can identity it