New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Ponaria: Symphony of the Neigh [IC II]

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Squeak? Frost's incantations seem to have an affect on Cherub. The little fire burns the necessary ingredients well and there is a soft glow around the (slightly confused) mouse.
    Tell me, how are you feeling? asks Frost. Cherub may well note that the pony didn't need to open his mouth to speak this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright View Post
    Spirit stretches while thinking of a good way to respond without taking an afternoon. After a while, he's settled on something. "Once upon a time, when the world was first formed, the world was much different. Every bit of land that wasn't covered in boiling oceans was covered in volcanoes. Only a few things could live in this land, but all of them were filled with such overwhelming power they could force the land into their way. Those that could survive were known as the Eight Primordial Beings, and how each of them survived turn into a school of magic on its own."
    "...What's a volcano?"

"In two days, we have changed so much. Imagine what could happen in a month. Can't you think of new, small miracles you couldn't do before?"
    Frost looks down at the scruffy home-made spell book at his hooves. "Yes. I think I can."
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    "...What's a volcano?"
    Before Spirit made it through the door on his way to the patients, he paused at Frostbite's question, and a tremendous grin split his face. "Oh, you're in for a treat. In a little while, I will build one and show it to you in action!" He trots out the door, a bigger spring in his stride than before.

Quote Originally Posted by McNum View Post
    Confused and a little amused, Beryl passes on the message. "Um... did you just tell them to glow less? I'm a Crystal Pony, glows like this fade out on their own after a few hours, but I can go put on a cloak."
    Spirit nods. "Yes. Yes I did. I just wanted to make sure this wasn't a permanent thing; you don't need to put one on if you don't need to." Then he goes back to checking up on his representative sample.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

Crossguard yawns awake. "Morning, everypony." She stands up and canters off to the tavern for some coffee.
    It's like Amazon.com around here; free 2-day shipping on all orders no matter how trivial.
    Quote Originally Posted by u/s_SoNick
    Dr Mog: Hey, spiffy new threads you got there Tyro.

Tyro: Pie jesu domine smacks book against forehead Dona eis requiem

4. - Top - End - #94
    Spamalot in the Playground

That done, he trots off to follow up on a representative sample of the patients he managed to treat earlier, of those that were left untreated, and of those whose treatment he left to Midnight.
    After several minutes of interviews and checking up on patients, Spirit sees that the ones who recovered fastest were ones that were of young adult age in good health (20~35 years old), ones that were treated with healing magic (spells, goodberries, etc.) and ones that got full bed rest with little to no activity interrupting it.

Tell me, how are you feeling? asks Frost. Cherub may well note that the pony didn't need to open his mouth to speak this time.
    "Well, kind of warm, and a bit hungry," Cherub replies mentally.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Wasn't sure if you want me to RP Cherub. Feel free to drive the conversation.

Beryl heads back to the longhouse to get dressed, and perhaps shed some light, pun very much intended, on this whole "Jasmine" thing.
    Well, this village couldn't have more than around 200 or so residents, so finding a Jasmine couldn't be too hard, could it? How will Beryl go about this investigation?

Quote Originally Posted by Jurai View Post
    Crossguard yawns awake. "Morning, everypony." She stands up and canters off to the tavern for some coffee.
    Crossguard can hear music coming from the tavern part of the inn as she gets to the entrance. Inside, there is a group of farmers with simple instruments, some makeshift like washboards and pots, playing a light-hearted little tune as the crowd claps along. Ace is with the band, singing some goofy-sounding lyrics to the music played. He sees Crossguard in the middle of his song and slowly moves toward her.

"I'm not a great big force
    I'm just a little horse
    But I can fight
    With magic might
    As tough as any Norse

My buddy's Crossguard P.
    A paladin you see
    But when I'm done
    She'll be all fun
    With laughter just like me
    Me, we, thee, see, gee...
    "

Ace stomps a hoof and sparks pop up into the air for just a fraction of a moment. The audience claps and raises mugs to Ace. The colt in turn bows and turns to Crossguard. "Good morning! Care for a song and dance number, or are you just here for the coffee?"
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2016-04-27 at 09:18 PM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Well, this village couldn't have more than around 200 or so residents, so finding a Jasmine couldn't be too hard, could it? How will Beryl go about this investigation
    First of all, Beryl heads back to the Longhouse, to try the simple approach. Are there any more ponies we don't know in there, and is one of them named Jasmine?

If there isn't, then Beryl will also get get breakfast and ask around there. Who knows if Jasmine is even a pony?

6. - Top - End - #96

Spirit sighs dejectedly, opens up his herbalism kit, and scrawls on the parchment tied to the inner cover 'Not for use treating nonphysical injuries.' He never quite sure why he went through 15 years of training with the kit, but now he was certain that it was time well wasted. Vaguely nostalgic, he looks back through the previous logs at the kinds of things he tried. 'Not for treating physical injuries.' 'Subject developed new addiction instead of kicking old.' 'Badger sedative had opposite effect. As did coagulant.' 'Subject enjoyed hot leaf juice. Brewer did not.' 'Plant stalk was full of paralyzed wasps. Paralysis wore off during transit. TODO: Find out how a reed can hold that many wasps.' He shakes his head and closes the lid again. One day, he'll find a use. Eventually. Maybe. Hopefully.

That done, his request for aid in intelligence gathering completely ignored, breakfast delayed as Frostbite summoned a familiar and Beryl wanders off looking for a Jane Doe, and his good mood from earlier dampened, he settles in and begins incanting the new ritual that had crystallized in his mind, chatting pleasantly with the Great Spirit of Giant Spiders for a good ten minutes or so before finding out if any within around 5 miles, and where they were if so. Should none turn up, he'd inquire to the Great Spirit of Steeders, asking about any nearby females. Should that too fail, Spirit will sigh and accept that the forest between a marsh and a mountain is, despite all logic, a terrible place to find giant spiders.

If it doesn't fail, however, he'll trot into giant spider country alone, whispering a prayer to Vera to grant him the power to speak with whatever spider he comes across. Maybe ask the smaller ones for directions along the way.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

After several minutes of interviews and checking up on patients, Spirit sees that the ones who recovered fastest were ones that were of young adult age in good health (20~35 years old), ones that were treated with healing magic (spells, goodberries, etc.) and ones that got full bed rest with little to no activity interrupting it.

Show
    Wasn't sure if you want me to RP Cherub. Feel free to drive the conversation.

Well, this village couldn't have more than around 200 or so residents, so finding a Jasmine couldn't be too hard, could it? How will Beryl go about this investigation?

Crossguard can hear music coming from the tavern part of the inn as she gets to the entrance. Inside, there is a group of farmers with simple instruments, some makeshift like washboards and pots, playing a light-hearted little tune as the crowd claps along. Ace is with the band, singing some goofy-sounding lyrics to the music played. He sees Crossguard in the middle of his song and slowly moves toward her.

"I'm not a great big force
    I'm just a little horse
    But I can fight
    With magic might
    As tough as any Norse

My buddy's Crossguard P.
    A paladin you see
    But when I'm done
    She'll be all fun
    With laughter just like me
    Me, we, thee, see, gee...
    "

Ace stomps a hoof and sparks pop up into the air for just a fraction of a moment. The audience claps and raises mugs to Ace. The colt in turn bows and turns to Crossguard. "Good morning! Care for a song and dance number, or are you just here for the coffee?"
    She smiles. "An impressive number, young minstrel. Perhaps you and Beryl could start a band after our mission is finished." Crossguard says as she heads to the bar. "But yes, I'm here for the coffee."
    It's like Amazon.com around here; free 2-day shipping on all orders no matter how trivial.

8. - Top - End - #98

First of all, Beryl heads back to the Longhouse, to try the simple approach. Are there any more ponies we don't know in there, and is one of them named Jasmine?

If there isn't, then Beryl will also get get breakfast and ask around there. Who knows if Jasmine is even a pony?
    (1d20)[6]
    There are no other ponies in the long house that shouldn't be there. In fact, it is the other way around-- Ace and Trace were the only two not accounted for this morning when everyone awoke.

However, Beryl will catch the last three notes of Ace's son-n-dance number at the inn. So at least he's alive and well. There is a crowd here and asking around will yield good information (as everyone seems to know everyone in Koldstone). There is a Jasmine, and she happens to be the eldest daughter of farmer Vine. Directions are given (go up to the C-shaped tree and turn left until you reach the blue outhouse, then right to the rock shaped like Mulberry's head...).

he settles in and begins incanting the new ritual that had crystallized in his mind, chatting pleasantly with the Great Spirit of Giant Spiders for a good ten minutes or so before finding out if any within around 5 miles, and where they were if so. Should none turn up, he'd inquire to the Great Spirit of Steeders, asking about any nearby females. Should that too fail, Spirit will sigh and accept that the forest between a marsh and a mountain is, despite all logic, a terrible place to find giant spiders.
    (1d20)[15]
    There is success-- the spell locates a giant spider to the northwest about 2 miles. Looking in that direction from town it seems to be an unkempt tree orchard not used in some time. The trees have turned autumn colors and there are plenty of insects feasting over the unpicked rotting apples and pears on the ground.

She smiles. "An impressive number, young minstrel. Perhaps you and Beryl could start a band after our mission is finished." Crossguard says as she heads to the bar. "But yes, I'm here for the coffee."
    Ace nods and lets Crossguard get her drink. The server at the bar slides over a fresh tin cup of coffee. Meanwhile Ace taps a disappointed hoof once on the ground before paying up coin to the band leader on their bet.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

9. - Top - End - #99

There is success-- the spell locates a giant spider to the northwest about 2 miles. Looking in that direction from town it seems to be an unkempt tree orchard not used in some time. The trees have turned autumn colors and there are plenty of insects feasting over the unpicked rotting apples and pears on the ground.
    Spirit strides confidently into the orchard, and announces himself as the ritual to speak with the inhabitants finishes. "Lord of Spiders! The time of cold grows close. I seek to treaty with you! For your protection in my travels, I can offer you food to last you through your winter months, and offer you shelter from the cold. All I ask in return is that you travel with me, albeit far from your permanent web, and follow a few simple guidelines that I may secure your shelter with. If I've your interest, let your presence be known! If not, I shall leave you to your hollow." He waits for a response.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

There are no other ponies in the long house that shouldn't be there. In fact, it is the other way around-- Ace and Trace were the only two not accounted for this morning when everyone awoke.

However, Beryl will catch the last three notes of Ace's son-n-dance number at the inn. So at least he's alive and well. There is a crowd here and asking around will yield good information (as everyone seems to know everyone in Koldstone). There is a Jasmine, and she happens to be the eldest daughter of farmer Vine. Directions are given (go up to the C-shaped tree and turn left until you reach the blue outhouse, then right to the rock shaped like Mulberry's head...).
    Beryl wonder for a moment... there one thing she totally forgot to ask. Is there any reason the chef wanted Beryl to talk to Jasmine? And is it urgent enough that it can't wait until after breakfast? Because if it's the chef having a crush on her, while cute, it's not urgent. At least not compared to life draining curses, breakfast and things like that.

Beryl can check up on it after breakfast unless it's a life or death thing.
    Ace nods and lets Crossguard get her drink. The server at the bar slides over a fresh tin cup of coffee. Meanwhile Ace taps a disappointed hoof once on the ground before paying up coin to the band leader on their bet.
    Beryl orders a coffee, too, plus a portion of what seems like the most popular breakfast thing here, and joins Crossguard at her table. "Morning Cross." she starts while trying to keep a straight face, despite glowing like a small pony-shaped sun. She then remembers a very similar situation a few days ago "Apparently, I've been given glow in the dark powers."

11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

Frost positively beams at this answer. "I heard that!" he says out loud. "I understood it! The spell works! I got the idea from a mix of Spirit's animal talking spells mixed with some of the enchantment stuff I saw in Ace's book, plus a little bit of, shall we say, sorcerer's instincts? Something about the spell just... seemed right. I should show Ace, I bet he'd be interested in the rune matrix design..."

He suddenly realises what Cherub had actually said. Or rather, thought. "Oh, sorry, you probably don't want to hear the specifics. Shall we go get breakfast?"

Before Spirit made it through the door on his way to the patients, he paused at Frostbite's question, and a tremendous grin split his face. "Oh, you're in for a treat. In a little while, I will build one and show it to you in action!" He trots out the door, a bigger spring in his stride than before.
    "Uh, sure. Sounds good," Frost replies, unsure if he should be excited or nervous.
    Last edited by Beacon of Chaos; 2016-04-28 at 03:28 PM.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

12. - Top - End - #102

Spirit strides confidently into the orchard, and announces himself as the ritual to speak with the inhabitants finishes. "Lord of Spiders! The time of cold grows close. I seek to treaty with you! For your protection in my travels, I can offer you food to last you through your winter months, and offer you shelter from the cold. All I ask in return is that you travel with me, albeit far from your permanent web, and follow a few simple guidelines that I may secure your shelter with. If I've your interest, let your presence be known! If not, I shall leave you to your hollow." He waits for a response.
    Dozens of little spiders look down from their webs, studying Spirit. Slowly, a large spider comes down from the trees, but remains on her webbing. Her voice sounds unimpressed. "You come with... 'guidelines' but not with an offering? Tsk tsk, half-walker. What is it you seek of my abilities to improve your travels?"

Beryl orders a coffee, too, plus a portion of what seems like the most popular breakfast thing here, and joins Crossguard at her table. "Morning Cross." she starts while trying to keep a straight face, despite glowing like a small pony-shaped sun. She then remembers a very similar situation a few days ago "Apparently, I've been given glow in the dark powers."
    "Did you hear that? She has dark powers," a whisper said.

"But she is glowing? Does that mean she's a good evil?"

"Maybe she's part Will-o-Wisp?"

The rumor mill starts to crank up on what Beryl is and why she's glowing like a miniature sun.

He suddenly realises what Cherub had actually said. Or rather, thought. "Oh, sorry, you probably don't want to hear the specifics. Shall we go get breakfast?"
    "Yes please!" Cherub answers. The mouse hops up onto Frost's shoulder to tag along. "So, if we can share thoughts, what else does this magical physic matrix do? Magic... wow, my head is suddenly so full of... thoughts!"
    Digo Dragon - Artist

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Dozens of little spiders look down from their webs, studying Spirit. Slowly, a large spider comes down from the trees, but remains on her webbing. Her voice sounds unimpressed. "You come with... 'guidelines' but not with an offering? Tsk tsk, half-walker. What is it you seek of my abilities to improve your travels?"

"Did you hear that? She has dark powers," a whisper said.

"But she is glowing? Does that mean she's a good evil?"

"Maybe she's part Will-o-Wisp?"

The rumor mill starts to crank up on what Beryl is and why she's glowing like a miniature sun.

"Yes please!" Cherub answers. The mouse hops up onto Frost's shoulder to tag along. "So, if we can share thoughts, what else does this magical physic matrix do? Magic... wow, my head is suddenly so full of... thoughts!"
    Crossguard chuckles. "Interesting. I feel a greater surety in my swordsponyship, as well as some of the fury of the sun itself, as though it is giving me its very light." Crossguard nods. "When we return to Basuto, I'm going to have to make a report to the temple." She finishes her coffee, and gets a refill, as well as a plate of hay and fresh fruit. "So, I can assume you've sworn your oath?"
    Last edited by Jurai; 2016-04-28 at 05:21 PM.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Crossguard chuckles. "Interesting. I feel a greater surety in my swordsponyship, as well as some of the fury of the sun itself, as though it is giving me its very light." Crossguard nods. "When we return to Basuto, I'm going to have to make a report to the temple." She finishes her coffee, and gets a refill, as well as a plate of hay and fresh fruit. "So, I can assume you've sworn your oath?"
    "Yup! Even found out what order I'm part of. Does the name 'Heliodor of the Twelve Peers' mean anything to you? Because apparently that's me. Or was me. Several lives ago." Beryl takes a sip of her much needed coffee. "I think I need to ask a few questions in a few temples myself. Hopefully somepony has head of them."

Beryl notices the chatter about her. "Hold on, I need to say something before things get crazy." Beryl knows, though, that there really is nothing she can say to stop the rumor mill, just... aim it slightly off course. She gets up and addresses the room. "Hey, everypony! Yes, I am shining, I noticed. It's okay, I'm a Crystal Pony, we do that when we're exposed to divine magic, and we needed a lot of that to break the curse on the town yesterday. So I'm shining a lot today. Don't worry, it'll stop in a few hours. It's normal and harmless."

Persuasion: "It's okay, it's harmless and normal, honest!" (1d20+4)[16]

15. - Top - End - #105

Spirit smiles, genuinely enjoying himself, and bows to the giant spider. "I seek not to offend with guidelines; I merely wish to let the anchor points of my web be known. And if my offering were only physical, what use would it be to you? As I said, I offer warmth, as well as food. If warmth could be wrapped in webbing and saved for winter, would it be so precious?

"What I offer is to spell your carapace or your webbing during the day, whichever you prefer, so they give off heat as I wake. During the night, I offer the warmth of a controlled fire, and the small or giant moths that are attracted to its flame. And, perchance, whichever pony inventions or livestock you find to catch your eye or your appetite.

"As for why I seek your aid? I've molted from your carapace once before. I know the silence and stealth by which you can walk. I know the strength of even those webs you sling on the fly, and of what knowledge you gain by merely stepping upon a delicately crafted one. I wish to ask you to lend me these skills of yours, as well as your aid in hunting down a few choice morsels that you may wish to consume. The arrangement shall last only as long as you wish it to; I'd not dream of making demands of a Lady."

Spoiler: Half-walker?
    Show
    Just checking to see if Spirit is familiar with the term offhand.
    (1d20+4)[10] Know: History
    (1d20+2)[4] Know: Nature
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

(1d20)[20](20)+4

Crossguard thinks for a bit. "I may have read something of the Twelve Peers..."

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

While the rest of the group goes about eating breakfast, Midnight stays in the longhouse, taking his time getting ready and thinking about the previous day's events. In particular, he realizes that his magic is coming more and more readily to him than it ever did, training back in Dartmoon. Spells that he once thought were outside his ability to cast now didn't seem all that imposing. For a start, he thought he could attempt curing that colt's fever outright, instead of merely alleviating the symptoms.

Once he felt ready, he left the longhouse, going to the tavern to join the others for breakfast. He walked over to Beryl and Crossguard, smiling at the pair.

"Morning! You look particularly radiant today." The joke came out a little more awkwardly than he had expected, and he gave a weak chuckle.
    Last edited by One Tin Soldier; 2016-04-28 at 07:20 PM.
    One Tin Pony avatar by Balmas

Current Projects: Dragon: the Inheritance

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Ha! I was wondering who'd be the first to say that! Congrats! Morning Midnight!" Beryl smiles and motions Midnight to join them at the table. She then continues "Say, Midnight, does the name 'Heliodor of the Twelve Peers' mean anything to you? Because I had a dream where I was told that, well, I'm Heliodor. Or used to be some lives ago. And that I should go find the Dusk temple in Arendale."

19. - Top - End - #109

Persuasion: "It's okay, it's harmless and normal, honest!" [16]
    This seems to get most of the gossip to die down. Most.
    At least, what little is left isn't the part thinking Beryl has any kind of evil powers. So that's a plus.

Spoiler: Half-walker?
    Show
    Just checking to see if Spirit is familiar with the term offhand.
    [roll0] Know: History
    [roll1] Know: Nature
    "Hmm, to have one of the fat milky half-walkers would be... quite enticing," she muses. "And what of the half-walker box nests? They do not appreciate my kind. They fear me, and rightfully so. Do I have protection from them as well?"

Show
    "Half-walker" is likely the spider's term for four-legged creatures such as yourself. After all, she's got eight legs.

[20]+4

Crossguard thinks for a bit. "I may have read something of the Twelve Peers..."
    Crossguard thinks back to when Spirit mentioned the Palad, and suddenly she remembers a minor passage in one of the older history books about the ancient paladins-- the oldest were known as the Twelve Peers, the first of all paladins. Heliodor was one of the twelve. Druids revered them for their championage of nature and life. And as was mentioned, allegedly they could reincarnate.

Quote Originally Posted by One Tin Soldier View Post
    "Morning! You look particularly radiant today." The joke came out a little more awkwardly than he had expected, and he gave a weak chuckle.
    Food gets slid over to Midnight, regardless if he asked or not, for it seems the inn knows a hero when they see one.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

20. - Top - End - #110

"Hmm, to have one of the fat milky half-walkers would be... quite enticing," she muses. "And what of the half-walker box nests? They do not appreciate my kind. They fear me, and rightfully so. Do I have protection from them as well?"
    Spirit nods, raising but not quite leaving his bow, so as to judge whether it's necessary at the moment. "The guidelines that I mentioned were to provide this protection. So long as you stick close to me in areas where we half-walkers congregate, and don't eat any without me giving the okay, I can keep them from acting against you. With some effort, I could perhaps even grant you protection without my presence, though I could not procure you such in this nearby town." He thinks. "We've got four mostly intact half-wakers that you are welcome to, if you'd like. Whether or not you join me. It would be a shame to see them go to waste."
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #111
    Troll in the Playground

Frost heads to the inn where the others are having breakfast.

Well, our minds should be linked in a way that I can look through your eyes and hear through your ears. I'm not sure it works the other way, I'm afraid, but it's a cool trick. If I'm correct, I can also cast spells through you or take you to a safe pocket dimension when we're in dangerous territory. I think that, from now on, we're not just friends, but partners!

"Morning all!" he says out loud. He orders breakfast for Cherub and himself and then sits with the others. He waves to Ace. "Hey! I wanted to thank you for letting check your book yesterday. Something about it really opened my mind to some of the possiblities of arcane magic. I wondered if maybe you'd want to share some notes? I figured out a spell to let me talk with Cherub, my mouse buddy here. I also think I have a spell that can be used to identify different kinds of magic, though I think I need some kind of material focus for it. Maybe you could help?"
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

"Ha! I was wondering who'd be the first to say that! Congrats! Morning Midnight!" Beryl smiles and motions Midnight to join them at the table. She then continues "Say, Midnight, does the name 'Heliodor of the Twelve Peers' mean anything to you? Because I had a dream where I was told that, well, I'm Heliodor. Or used to be some lives ago. And that I should go find the Dusk temple in Arendale."
    "Heliodor?" Midnight shakes his head. "Never heard of him. So what, he showed up in your dreams and told you that you're his reincarnation?" He raises his eyebrow skeptically.
    One Tin Pony avatar by Balmas

Current Projects: Dragon: the Inheritance

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by One Tin Soldier View Post
    "Heliodor?" Midnight shakes his head. "Never heard of him. So what, he showed up in your dreams and told you that you're his reincarnation?" He raises his eyebrow skeptically.
    Beryl grins sheepishly. "Honestly, yeah!" Beryl thinks a little more carefully on what to say out loud in here, but continues anyway "Even I know it sounds odd, but I swear it happened. But, heh, I can see how you might want more proof than that."

"That's why I want to visit the temples. Both Sun and Dusk, to ask if they know anything about a 'Heliodor'. The Palad didn't even say if Heliodor was male or female." She pauses for a bit "I don't suppose you could introduce me next time we get to a Dusk Temple? Makes me seem a little less crazy."

"Says the pony with a voice in her head!" an annoying inner voice snarks.

"Actually, where are we going today? I'm thinking back to Basuto to catch a boat to Arendale. That and we need to alert every temple that needs to know about what happened here. Curses that big need to be reported!"

24. - Top - End - #114

"The guidelines that I mentioned were to provide this protection. So long as you stick close to me in areas where we half-walkers congregate, and don't eat any without me giving the okay, I can keep them from acting against you. With some effort, I could perhaps even grant you protection without my presence, though I could not procure you such in this nearby town." He thinks. "We've got four mostly intact half-wakers that you are welcome to, if you'd like. Whether or not you join me. It would be a shame to see them go to waste."
    The giant spider thinks for a moment, pondering the offer. She slowly comes down to the ground. "Very well, I'll see what these intact half-walkers are that you offer me and decide then. Lead on, little one."

Well, our minds should be linked in a way that I can look through your eyes and hear through your ears. I'm not sure it works the other way, I'm afraid, but it's a cool trick. If I'm correct, I can also cast spells through you or take you to a safe pocket dimension when we're in dangerous territory. I think that, from now on, we're not just friends, but partners!
    "You can see what I see?" Cherub thinks via psychic link. "Guess that means no freebie snacks under the table?"

He orders breakfast for Cherub and himself and then sits with the others. He waves to Ace. "Hey! I wanted to thank you for letting check your book yesterday. Something about it really opened my mind to some of the possibilities of arcane magic. I wondered if maybe you'd want to share some notes? I figured out a spell to let me talk with Cherub, my mouse buddy here. I also think I have a spell that can be used to identify different kinds of magic, though I think I need some kind of material focus for it. Maybe you could help?"
    Cherub scarfs down on the food provided with tiny and adorable 'NOM NOM' sounds.

Ace sits down by Frost and pulls out several pouches of spell components. "Arcane focus you mean? Well, I do have one. Family scroughed up money for it... uh, scroughed? Sounds like scrounged and coughed... anyway!" He pulls out a small dark green crystal on a simple string.

"Arcane Focus. You channel magic through it and it replaces certain needs for material components. Useful, but if you lose it, you're screwed without components. I think I can convince Master Librarian to sell you one at the college."
    Digo Dragon - Artist

25. - Top - End - #115

Spirit nods respectfully, and leads the giant spider back to the pile of bodies outside the Trent mausoleum, constantly muttering the chant to refresh the ritual that allows him to understand his guest. As hectic as the night had been, and with the group not having called much attention to the bodies, they'd likely still be there, well-preserved by the night's chill. If need be, he could always raid the coffins for more; the sarcophagus the party entered and left from was still open, last he checked. He pulls out the one that had been scorched at the front of the tomb as the most palatable of them.

"These have been dead for no more than a sun and a moon, and can be made warm and struggling again if you prefer. You may decide at your leisure; but know that should you travel with me, I can assure you fresher fare."

Show
    Spiders have flies wrapped up dead in their web for days or weeks before eating them; I can't imagine her being too picky about them.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #116

Spirit nods respectfully, and leads the giant spider back to the pile of bodies outside the Trent mausoleum, constantly muttering the chant to refresh the ritual that allows him to understand his guest. As hectic as the night had been, and with the group not having called much attention to the bodies, they'd likely still be there, well-preserved by the night's chill. If need be, he could always raid the coffins for more; the sarcophagus the party entered and left from was still open, last he checked.
    Welp, if Spirit expected the bodies to be there, he was in for a partial disappointment-- instead of the pile of dead ponies from the barrow, there are two dead cows. The dead ponies are gone! Still, considering the spider mentioned her enjoyment of the "meaty" half-walkers, she began to spin webbing around the two and pull them someplace secluded to prepare a meal.

"Hmm, not bad, half-walker. I usually eat fresher, but these will do. Very well, for now I will join your journey. I will be here dining. You may come call for me when you are ready to depart."

Show
    Usually they keep prey a while so the insides liquefy with their venom. Spiders generally work off liquid diets. But hey, it's all good here!
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2016-04-29 at 09:59 PM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

27. - Top - End - #117

Spirit nods. "My other traveling companions will journey back here with me later today. Until then, I leave you with the most important guidelines. First, try not to be seen far from me, near the pony box-nests. If you are seen when you stray, it will be hard for me to protect you. Second, if you catch their attention, even if you're close to me, change your posture. Move your legs in towards your body, as though making a tent with them to keep snow off, and survey the ground between your legs. This is a stance among half-walkers that indicates nonaggression; do not attack a pony from this posture, or its ability to protect you will be compromised. Third, do not attack a half-walker unless I indicate it's safe to do so. I'll let you know by just pointing if I'm wearing a carapace like yours; if not, I'll do so by spelling your leg hairs; it will feel as though the half-walkers were walking on a web only you can feel. If we're engaged in a combat with something, though, please do sling webs to tangle our targets, or bite them if you believe them to be tasty. Finally, when possible, being unseen will be a boon to you, good Lady of Spiders. Feel free to think these over, and leave if you feel they are too onerous. If they are not, I will be happy to see you later today, good Lady."

Then he heads over to the inn, eager to get some rest. It was rather tense, not having a wildshape available if things turned for the worst; purifying his system of weakness over a good meal sounded wonderful right now. Following Beryl's glow, it was rather easy to track the party, and he wanders in shortly after Frostbite. "So! Two bits of strange news today. The first is that the bodies outside the tomb have been replaced by two dead cows. Not sure how or why that happened, but we might find clues in that journal we found on one of the dead ponies or the Brotherhood campsite. The second is that a giant spider will be joining us in lieu of our slightly abused gator friend. Ace, be wary around her. She's far smarter than the crocodile, and far less trustworthy. Still, she should be great for non-lethal takedowns, far more able to get around than the poor crocodile, and generally more useful to our group.

"Now, onto business. As I mentioned, the journal could provide clues to what's happened. Aside from this, I believe we could gain much from trying to learn how the Brotherhood will perform their next operation. I can trick some Brotherhood agents into some meetings; I can meet with the zebra mare that reported on Trace earlier, and I believe I can sucker a vampire spawn into a meeting with a 'benefactor'. We could turn this into an ambush, or perhaps play along with the role and get the spawn to give us a goal, or a test of some kind that plays along with their plans. We'd be in on the ground floor before the Brotherhood made their first move; it could be a useful opportunity.

"We'll arrive in Basuto no sooner than nightfall, and the earliest we could catch a ship is morning. I don't see a downside to gathering a bit of info this way. However, I propose we seek aid from Azurah in Nabru before heading to Arendale. The Master Librarian said that she would be a useful asset, and she has some form of skill in 'voodoo' magic that can affect one through the blood. Such a thing could be invaluable when dealing with vampire spawn, don't you think? Capture one spawn, and send up a spell that affects their progenitor, or their whole bloodline? I see no reason to rush to Arendale at the moment when doing so cuts off such a potentially useful ally. We could ask a captain to give us a ride to Nabru and then Arendale; it would add less than a day to our journey, yet it could secure a game-changing ally against the Brotherhood.

"What do you all think?"
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Well for one, I think you just said many things that you shouldn't have said out loud in a crowd." Beryl remarks while eating her breakfast. "Naming the baddies by name and saying you want to spy on them... Not saying that's a bad idea, but be more subtle next time. Only takes one bee to alert the hive." Beryl wonders for a second where she got that expression from... A silly sounding buzz then flies through her mind, answering that. "There's been one in... every tavern we've visited so far."

"I think the most important thing we need to do is warn every temple that cares about what just happened here. Starting with the Sun and Dusk temples. And I think we might need to hurry, even if that means traveling faster than comfortable. Unless we have a way to send a message faster than on hoof, we need to tell them the full story before the rumors reach them. And rumors travel fast!" She looks like there's something else that's important. "Oh, and Frost's parents. We... probably can't catch up in a straight chase, but knowing which way they went would be great. That journal might have clues, too."

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

"You can see what I see?" Cherub thinks via psychic link. "Guess that means no freebie snacks under the table?"
    Hehe, well I'll only ever do it with your permission, and you'll know when it happens. You'll still get your privacy. That said, try to go easy on the snacks, it's not good for you.

Ace sits down by Frost and pulls out several pouches of spell components. "Arcane focus you mean? Well, I do have one. Family scroughed up money for it... uh, scroughed? Sounds like scrounged and coughed... anyway!" He pulls out a small dark green crystal on a simple string.

"Arcane Focus. You channel magic through it and it replaces certain needs for material components. Useful, but if you lose it, you're screwed without components. I think I can convince Master Librarian to sell you one at the college."
    "Well, no, I have one of those." Frost shows Ace the small crystal orb he has hanging from his necklace. "This spell seems to need something more. Something I'm missing."

Show
    Frost is specifically refering to the pearl needed for the Identify spell.

Gosh. If only we had some kind of magical pearl somewhere that a kindly soul could point Frost to.

The second is that a giant spider will be joining us in lieu of our slightly abused gator friend. Ace, be wary around her. She's far smarter than the crocodile, and far less trustworthy. Still, she should be great for non-lethal takedowns, far more able to get around than the poor crocodile, and generally more useful to our group.
    "Oh good. Another creature that would happily eat us if it could, only it's less trustworthy. How nice. If it comes after me I won't hesitate to kill it, you know."

"Oh, and Frost's parents. We... probably can't catch up in a straight chase, but knowing which way they went would be great. That journal might have clues, too."
    "..." Frost passes the journal to Spirit.
    Last edited by Beacon of Chaos; 2016-04-30 at 12:15 PM.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

30. - Top - End - #120

Spirit shrugs. "I did try bringing this up in the Longhouse. No one listened. And if they are listening in..." he mutters a small chant under his breath. "That would save us quite a bit of time. Regardless, I do not see why one should hide the truth, nor why you trust the temples to keep tighter lips than this town that the Brotherhood already drained dry." He shrugs. "I can send messages to temples, but, well, they're limited to 25 words apiece, temples are big, and I might get the ear of the wrong person. I could still call in clerics to help with the healing, though." He shrugs again.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d4+5)[9]+(1d20)[15] Looking for someone paying unusual attention, or might have reacted to Spirit's words here.

EDIT:
    "..." Frost passes the journal to Spirit.
    Spirit cracks open the journal and takes a look. What does he find?
    Last edited by Fable Wright; 2016-04-30 at 03:08 PM.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show