New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop XXVI: Frequently Asked, Frequently Ignored

So, after tooling around some really, really silly lists, how sad would you be to see this in a tournament:

Spoiler
    Show

FSE CAD
    60 - Cadre Fireblade
    760 - Unit of 2 Stormsurges, 2x EWO, 2x Pulse Driver
    33 - 1x Crisis, 2x Flamer, BKR
    33 - 1x Crisis, 2x Flamer, BKR
    75 - Skyshield

Drone Net
    54 - 4x Marker Drones
    54 - 4x Marker Drones
    54 - 4x Marker Drones
    54 - 4x Marker Drones

Cyclopia Cabal
    125 - Sorceror, ML2, Bike, Spell Familiar, VotLW
    110 - Sorceror, ML2, Bike, VotLW

Cyclopia Cabal
    125 - Sorceror, ML2, Bike, Spell Familiar, VotLW
    85 - Sorceror, ML1, Bike, VotLW

Use most of your dice to cast Shroud of Deceit on your anchored stormsurge twice (since it's an Enemy unit as per Desperate Allies), then fire it for the lulz again in your shooting phase where you burn your makerlights to really give something a good pounding.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Drasius View Post
    760 - Unit of 2 Stormsurges, 2x EWO, 2x Pulse Driver
    75 - Skyshield
    That alone makes me mad.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

3. - Top - End - #33
    Firbolg in the Playground

Hey there! Noob question incoming...

I'm reading through the tyranid book, trying to grok it. So I've figured out that Toxin Sacs give numberless poison, which defaults to a 4+ chance to wound. Okay, that's cool.

Now, does this work even if the critter with the poison is strength 3, and the target is toughness 7+?

Can't seem to find the answer to that anywhere. I'm probably looking in the wrong place...
    Awesome avatar by Kpenguin. ALL HAIL DOCTOR DIRE!

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Demiurge View Post
    Now, does this work even if the critter with the poison is strength 3, and the target is toughness 7+?
    Affirmative.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

What's this grenade nerf?

Also is there a source of the FAQ that doesn't, well suck? Half the pages are zoomed too far out for me to read without downloading them.

Or better yet, any idea when the official version will be published?
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    What's this grenade nerf?
    Rulebook, page 180.

1. Only one grenade (of any type) can be thrown by a unit per phase.
    2. A model can use such a grenade as a Melee weapon...

Up until about a month ago, the way it was played, was that each unit could make one Grenade attack in the Shooting Phase - instead of say, shooting a Boltgun - and then all models in the unit could make Grenade attacks in the Assault Phase. Which made sense, since it would be kind of stupid if you had to pay points for all models to have Grenades when only one of them could make an attack per phase.

Unfortunately, the FAQ writers decided to take things the stupid way, and decided that you 'throw' Grenades in the Assault Phase, which means only one model can make a Grenade attack per Melee round. Not even mentioning the question; "Can my unit throw a Grenade during Overwatch and then also make a Melee Grenade attack?" since it's all the Assault Phase.

This makes paying for Grenades on a per unit basis, as opposed to per model basis, completely crap. It used to be that a full squad of Guardsmen could run up to a Wraithknight, plant five Melta Bombs and 20-30 Krak Grenades and watch a Wraithknight topple. They could multi-Charge the entire front rank of the Gladius' Razorbacks that just Scouted in their face. Now? They get one Melta Bomb, and no Krak Grenades.

This 'grenade nerf' has basically made it mandatory for nearly all ICs in the game to carry Melta Bombs, as well as any Sergeants in squads without ICs attached, since Krak Grenades may as well do nothing. This makes Monstrous Creatures and Walkers incredibly strong in Melee.

Also is there a source of the FAQ that doesn't, well suck?
    Nope. Except the biggers ones usually have captions.
    If an image has a caption, you should read it. You can't edit photos on Facebook, but you can edit captions. The caption is always the correct version of the text.

Or better yet, any idea when the official version will be published?
    "When they're all done.' So...A month or two.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2016-06-13 at 11:06 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Rulebook, page 180.

1. Only one grenade (of any type) can be thrown by a unit per phase.
    2. A model can use such a grenade as a Melee weapon...

Up until about a month ago, the way it was played, was that each unit could make one Grenade attack in the Shooting Phase - instead of say, shooting a Boltgun - and then all models in the unit could make Grenade attacks in the Assault Phase. Which made sense, since it would be kind of stupid if you had to pay points for all models to have Grenades when only one of them could make an attack per phase.

Unfortunately, the FAQ writers decided to take things the stupid way, and decided that you 'throw' Grenades in the Assault Phase, which means only one model can make a Grenade attack per Melee round. Not even mentioning the question; "Can my unit throw a Grenade during Overwatch and then also make a Melee Grenade attack?" since it's all the Assault Phase.

This makes paying for Grenades on a per unit basis, as opposed to per model basis, completely crap. It used to be that a full squad of Guardsmen could run up to a Wraithknight, plant five Melta Bombs and 20-30 Krak Grenades and watch a Wraithknight topple. They could multi-Charge the entire front rank of the Gladius' Razorbacks that just Scouted in their face. Now? They get one Melta Bomb, and no Krak Grenades.

This 'grenade nerf' has basically made it mandatory for nearly all ICs in the game to carry Melta Bombs, as well as any Sergeants in squads without ICs attached, since Krak Grenades may as well do nothing. This makes Monstrous Creatures and Walkers incredibly strong in Melee.

Nope. Except the biggers ones usually have captions.
    If an image has a caption, you should read it. You can't edit photos on Facebook, but you can edit captions. The caption is always the correct version of the text.

"When they're all done.' So...A month or two.
    While I agree that it is a stupid way to handle it, particularly because some units can buy grenades per model, the rulebook does say, only one grenade per phase. As far as I know, that's how my local meta has done it this entire edition. I certainly don't like it, but that's not the only rule I don't like.

Okay, thanks for the info.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    While I agree that it is a stupid way to handle it, particularly because some units can buy grenades per model, the rulebook does say, only one grenade per phase. As far as I know, that's how my local meta has done it this entire edition. I certainly don't like it, but that's not the only rule I don't like.

Okay, thanks for the info.
    However, there's the issue that meltabombs are specifically not thrown, and the one per phase refers to throwing...

9. - Top - End - #39

Affirmative.
    ::Looks at the poisoned rules, looks back to the hormogaunt statline. Cue slow spreading smile with lots 'o teeth::

Kay. Thanks! :D

10. - Top - End - #40
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Demiurge View Post
    ::Looks at the poisoned rules, looks back to the hormogaunt statline. Cue slow spreading smile with lots 'o teeth::

Kay. Thanks! :D
    Aren't Hormogaunts S4?

But yes, poisoned is SUPER VALUABLE on high attack, low strength models. Wraithlords and Iron Armed Daemon Princes or GUOs tremble before it. (Wraithknights not as much-they're gargantuan, so Poison only works on a 6+.)
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

@Drasius: it's an amusing thought, to be sure. A unit of Stormsurges shooting 4 times (once anchored) per turn is... well silly is the polite thing to say. It's pretty all in on it, which could cause some issues with Grav spam stuff, but against 90% of armies it wouldn't even be a fight. This is also why we can't have nice things and why torunaments need a bit of a reform.

@Forum Explorer: I know a couple people who went and copied all of the FAQs into a text file somewhere, I dunno if they have it available publicly or not. Let me dig a bit.

@Cheese: the one reason I can find for buying multiple grenades is so that the one dude holding the Melta Bomb can't just get sniped out and leave them without for fighting the Knight or whatever.

Other: I think for allying with my Scions I want a fast Psychic Star of some sort. It would be neat to try something like Centstar with them, but that'd be a bit rough to fit. I was thinking something like TWC + Rune Priests (and possibly other ICs), but I'm not sure how decent that is. How do you think it compares to something like Bikers + LibConc?

Too bad GKs don't really have a star unit that works, I would really like to put those two together.

12. - Top - End - #42

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Aren't Hormogaunts S4?

But yes, poisoned is SUPER VALUABLE on high attack, low strength models. Wraithlords and Iron Armed Daemon Princes or GUOs tremble before it. (Wraithknights not as much-they're gargantuan, so Poison only works on a 6+.)
    Nah, S3. But with 2 attacks, which means 3 swipes on the charge... oooh, this is gonna be fun.

EDIT: You're probably thinking they're S4 because the Adrenal Glands mod gives them Furious Charge... which is +1S on attacks for the round after they charge. So yeah, conditionally they can be S4.

This'll give me a nice thing to switch over to when I get tired of Space Marines, and vice-versa.

And they're both fitting with my love for StarCraft. Been thinking of eventually picking up a Protoss-equivalent army, but I'm having trouble deciding whether Tau or Necrons would work better for that. (Yeah, I know Eldar are technically the original Protoss equivalents, but I can't stand those guys.)
    Last edited by Lost Demiurge; 2016-06-13 at 11:46 AM.

13. - Top - End - #43

What are your guys' thoughts on MiniWarGaming? I watch them sometimes, and it never seems worth it to become a vault member. They make too many mistakes for my taste.

Show
    Show

Show

14. - Top - End - #44
    Barbarian in the Playground

What are your guys' thoughts on MiniWarGaming? I watch them sometimes, and it never seems worth it to become a vault member. They make too many mistakes for my taste.
    I love watching their stuff, even though I do occasionally want to scream at my screen over some of the mistakes they've made. I often daydream of being hired as some kind of professional rules lawyer for either MWG or GW itself. I'm not sure which would be more rewarding.

The various narrative campaigns are fun, and they're open about sources and changes they've made, for better or worse. I've been inspired by them a lot recently to try more ways of playing 40k, like Path to Glory and GorkaMorka, and getting my FLGS crowd in on it.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

I watch em for something to have on in the background when I'm doing other things.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Question on FAQs: allies can no longer start embarked on transports, but a unit with models from multiple factions counts as all of those factions.

If I put a SM captain in an Inquisition Warband, can that band now start in a drop pod? What about an Inquisitor in a band of SMs, would that make the SMs lose the ability to start in their own transports?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Question on FAQs: allies can no longer start embarked on transports, but a unit with models from multiple factions counts as all of those factions.

If I put a SM captain in an Inquisition Warband, can that band now start in a drop pod? What about an Inquisitor in a band of SMs, would that make the SMs lose the ability to start in their own transports?
    We had this argument in the last pages of the previous thread. IIRC, given that you're no longer marines, but marines/inq, no, you may not start in pods/rhinos/razors/raiders/ravens.

Start Collecting Dark Eldar (3 Reavers, 1 Raider, 10 Warriors, 1 Archon)

Pre-jink nerf, this would have been a fantastic deal. Sadly, post nerf it's a waste of time like the rest of the dex. Still, rare is the non-coven DE army without raiders and reavers, so if you did suddenly develop brain damage and wanted to start collecting non-coven DE, this is pretty good.

Start Collecting Eldar (3 Jetbikes, 1 Farseer on Bike, 1 Fireprism)

The Eldar one won't see too much love either since Prisms are bad. If you wanted a CAD and a Jet Council with a triple prism unit though, then it'd be a great deal.
    Last edited by Drasius; 2016-06-13 at 05:50 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Those poor poor DE, they can never catch a break can they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

19. - Top - End - #49

Here's some advice that (probably) wont change;
    Primaris Psykers are really good. Biomancy to roll for Endurance and Divination because Guard are a shooty army.
    Take a look at the Combined Squad rule on Infantry Squads. If you want to ab/use that rule, you're going to need a Ministorum Priest. A Priest for your Command Squad couldn't hurt either, 'cause Regroup checks make Command Squads real sad.
    In your Infantry Squads, ignore Heavy Weapons, that's what Heavy Weapons Squads are for.
    Special Weapons Squads generally aren't good. Meltaguns in Valkyries are nice, but that's about it.
    Veteran Squads are what you use when you need to save money. Except that you don't actually save that much and lose a lot, tactically speaking. What you really save when you take Veterans over Infantry Platoons is painting time.
    Bullgryns are good, Ratlings are decent. Though in the latter's case you don't need many.
    Militarum Tempestus Platoons are great, and they're even better in their own book.
    Scout Sentinels are what you use when you don't use Ratlings. Scout Sentinels or Ratlings, both are going to die when it comes down to Kill Points, so it doesn't matter which one you take.
    Armoured Sentinels are what you use when you want Plasma Cannons. Except that you should never, ever, put Plasma weapons on Vehicles. Next!
    Hellhounds (any type), Valkyries and Vendettas are all useful.
    Hydras are very good anti-air at 70 Points a pop. Basilisks, Wyverns and Manticores are all great at their jobs.

If any of that changes, then I genuinely didn't see it coming.
    As a primary Guard player, in order:

Agreed; I never build a list without a Primaris Psyker anymore, though I almost always roll on Divination.

Combined Squads is fantastic, no argument. And Priests are way better than Commissars at their job.

Heavy Weapons Squads get singled out and killed very quickly. Burying the heavy weapons in the infantry squads keeps them alive and blowing the bejeesus out of things a lot longer. If I'm taking a HWS, it's because I wanted ALL the heavy weapons and couldn't actually field another platoon.

The one, singular use of a Special Weapons Squad is either three meltaguns or two meltaguns and a demo charge out of the back of a Vendetta. For everything else, there's Veterans.

Speaking of Veterans, they're what I use for mechanized infantry simply because they can take better advantage of the fire points on a Chimera with their extra special weapons and higher BS. They belong either in a Chimera or the back of a Valkyrie, though; you do not footslog them. My standard loadout is two meltaguns (for the two fire points) and a heavy flamer (for overwatch) in a Chimera.

Bullgryns are far too expensive for what they do. Ratlings are good to fill points, and can be really, really annoying for your opponent if you can Infiltrate them right.

Storm Troopers (I refuse to use that silly faux-Latin name they came up with ) are fantastic now that they're not as points-expensive as Marines per model. With Deep Strike and Move Through Cover they go where you want, and once there they kill MEQs dead.

I don't use walkers for aesthetic reasons, so I can't comment on either type of Sentinel, though I will say that you can put plasma cannons on one of your Tank Commander's squadron mates (not the Commander himself!) and roll for Old Grudges on the warlord chart. Other than that, though, you're right, no plasma cannons on vehicles.

Hellhounds are good, and I especially love running a Devil Dog with a multimelta. Nice Land Raider you've got there. Be a shame if something happened to it. Valkyries and Vendettas are Flyers, with everything that comes with being Flyers.

Hydras are excellent anti-air. With the exception of the Deathstrike, all the artillery is good too, but the Wyvern deserves special mention. It gets four shots with rerolls To Hit, rerolls To Wound, and Ignores Cover built in, no buffs required, all for a vehicle no more points-expensive than your basic APC. They can't hurt vehicles (barring Dark Eldar skimmers, against which they can be hilarious), but their job is killing infantry, and they do that very well.

While on the subject of heavy support, I will say the various flavors of Russ can do work. The Demolisher is way too expensive (seriously, they nerf it and then raise the points cost? I'm still salty over that), but the battle tank is still as good as ever, and points reductions on all the other types over the previous codex make the rest worth considering except for the Eradicator, whose job is done better by a couple of Wyverns and Exterminator whose job is done better by some infantry with autocannons. Vanquishers and Executioners belong in a Tank Commander squadron with Old Grudges, though, not on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Strife View Post
    What kit has the ministorum priests?
    They're tricky about that; they aren't in the Guard line. You need to look under Adepta Sororitas and Inquisition for priest models. For instance, this guy or this guy.
    Last edited by Renegade Paladin; 2016-06-13 at 06:36 PM.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

Priests can also be converted really easily from Flagellants or Wizards from the AoS/Fantasy range mixed with some guard bits.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

21. - Top - End - #51

Got a 2k Battle Report this Thursday. The goal is to have a close match. I'll be facing Dark Angels with one flier.

Spoiler: List
    Show
    Daemonic Incursion
    Core
    45-3 Nurglings
    45-3 Nurglings
    45-3 Nurglings
    45-3 Nurglings
    45-3 Nurglings
    90-10 Plaguebearers
    90-10 Plaguebearers
    220-Herald of Nurgle, Lesser Reward, Greater Reward, Mastery Level 2, Greater Locus of Fecundity, Palanquin, Doomsday Bell

Command
    385-Daemon Prince of Nurgle, Wings, Armour, Lesser Reward, 2 Greater Rewards, Mastery Level 3, Grotti
    345-Daemon Prince of Nurgle, Wings, Armour, Exalted Reward, Greater Reward, Mastery Level 3

Chaos Space Marines CAD
    HQ
    190-Sorcerer, Mastery Level 3, VotLW, Melta Bombs, Chaos Bike, Sigil of Corruption, Gift of Mutation, Spell Familiar

Troops
    90-20 Cultists
    90-20 Cultists

Fast Attack
    36-Nurgle Spawn

Elites
    238-7 Plague Marines, 2 Melta Guns, Gift of Mutation, Rhino, Dirge Caster

1999 Points Total

Show
    Show

Show

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Got a 2k Battle Report this Thursday. The goal is to have a close match. I'll be facing Dark Angels with one flier.

Show
    Daemonic Incursion
    Core
    45-3 Nurglings
    45-3 Nurglings
    45-3 Nurglings
    45-3 Nurglings
    45-3 Nurglings
    90-10 Plaguebearers
    90-10 Plaguebearers
    220-Herald of Nurgle, Lesser Reward, Greater Reward, Mastery Level 2, Greater Locus of Fecundity, Palanquin, Doomsday Bell

Command
    385-Daemon Prince of Nurgle, Wings, Armour, Lesser Reward, 2 Greater Rewards, Mastery Level 3, Grotti
    345-Daemon Prince of Nurgle, Wings, Armour, Exalted Reward, Greater Reward, Mastery Level 3

Chaos Space Marines CAD
    HQ
    190-Sorcerer, Mastery Level 3, VotLW, Melta Bombs, Chaos Bike, Sigil of Corruption, Gift of Mutation, Spell Familiar

Troops
    90-20 Cultists
    90-20 Cultists

Fast Attack
    36-Nurgle Spawn

Elites
    238-7 Plague Marines, 2 Melta Guns, Gift of Mutation, Rhino, Dirge Caster

1999 Points Total
    Might I suggest that you find 35 points for a squad of 5 furies as an Auxilary choice to make your incursion legal? My suggestion would be dropping both Gift of Mutations, VotLW, the melta bombs and the dirge caster, though just dropping the nurgle spawn would be fine too, but then you're losing majority T6 and 3 ablative wounds, so your call. Losing the lesser on the prince would also be acceptable IMHO.

23. - Top - End - #53

Might I suggest that you find 35 points for a squad of 5 furies as an Auxilary choice to make your incursion legal? My suggestion would be dropping both Gift of Mutations, VotLW, the melta bombs and the dirge caster, though just dropping the nurgle spawn would be fine too, but then you're losing majority T6 and 3 ablative wounds, so your call. Losing the lesser on the prince would also be acceptable IMHO.
    Gah! I always forget Furies. They just suck so bad.

Show
    Daemonic Incursion
    Core
    45-3 Nurglings
    45-3 Nurglings
    45-3 Nurglings
    45-3 Nurglings
    45-3 Nurglings
    90-10 Plaguebearers
    90-10 Plaguebearers

Command

Auxiliary
    35-5 Furies

Chaos Space Marines CAD
    HQ
    190-Sorcerer, Mastery Level 3, Chaos Bike, Sigil of Corruption, Spell Familiar

Troops
    90-20 Cultists
    90-20 Cultists

Fast Attack
    36-Nurgle Spawn

Elites
    228-7 Plague Marines, 2 Melta Guns, Rhino,

1999 Points Total

Show
    Show

Show

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Gah! I always forget Furies. They just suck so bad.

Show
    Daemonic Incursion
    Core
    45-3 Nurglings
    45-3 Nurglings
    45-3 Nurglings
    45-3 Nurglings
    45-3 Nurglings
    90-10 Plaguebearers
    90-10 Plaguebearers

Command

Auxiliary
    35-5 Furies

Chaos Space Marines CAD
    HQ
    190-Sorcerer, Mastery Level 3, Chaos Bike, Sigil of Corruption, Spell Familiar

Troops
    90-20 Cultists
    90-20 Cultists

Fast Attack
    36-Nurgle Spawn

Elites
    228-7 Plague Marines, 2 Melta Guns, Rhino,

1999 Points Total
    Might need to adjust your points total on the sorc and plagues, since now it adds to 2024.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    If I put a SM captain in an Inquisition Warband...
    I literally asked the same question.

The answer is either both or neither. Further answers required. If a GK unit is joined by a Space Marine, they gain the Space Marine Faction, but they're still Grey Knights. The fact that they are all the Factions of the models in the unit, means that they are not one Faction, and count as Battle Brothers and can't ride, and it's stupid.

Go on their Facebook, ask them. It's actually important that if you don't have a coherent answer, you have to ask them. That's the point of their Facebook, that's the point if FAQs.

Similarly, if a unit counts as all the Factions in the unit, wouldn't Preferred Enemy and Hatred ([Faction]) work normally?

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    The one, singular use of a Special Weapons Squad is either three meltaguns or two meltaguns and a demo charge out of the back of a Vendetta.
    Vendettas took a hit when they went to 170 Points. Still good though, but you shouldn't really be taking more than two Fliers.

Bullgryns are far too expensive for what they do.
    Bullgryns are the Guard's Star unit, if you're taking them, you're building around them. If the Primaris rolls Endurance, Bullgryns become a solid PitA. Add a Ministorum Priest for Fearless and re-rolling Invulnerable saves.

and roll for Old Grudges on the warlord chart.
    Why roll? Pask comes with it automatically. He's great.

I will say the various flavors of Russ can do work.
    I ignored mentioning Russes 'cause there's not a bad chance that they'll change the Heavy-Ordnance interaction in the FAQ Errata.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2016-06-13 at 08:47 PM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

26. - Top - End - #56

Vendettas took a hit when they went to 170 Points. Still good though, but you shouldn't really be taking more than two Fliers.
    Yeah, they did, but three twin-linked lascannons on a Flyer is still fantastic. I don't take one every time, but I do strongly consider it. And since their transport capacity is six, they can carry a SWS but not Veterans, which is why I brought them up there. I suppose you could also chuck a platoon command squad in there if you just wanted a bunch of meltaguns and already have Voice of Command to burn.

Bullgryns are the Guard's Star unit, if you're taking them, you're building around them. If the Primaris rolls Endurance, Bullgryns become a solid PitA. Add a Ministorum Priest for Fearless and re-rolling Invulnerable saves.
    Yeah, I can see that. I just don't do it myself, though perhaps I should try it. I like my tanks too much.

Why roll? Pask comes with it automatically. He's great.
    I dunno. Couldn't find the 40 points? Also I don't typically model my tanks with the commanders sticking out; in fact I got some secondhand that the previous owner had done that to and my Battlefoam cases promptly broke their hands off because they were too tall.

I ignored mentioning Russes 'cause there's not a bad chance that they'll change the Heavy-Ordnance interaction in the FAQ Errata.
    The chance looks pretty bad to me, reading the draft FAQs just now. Also reading them I found out that they flatly contradicted the text of the Gets Hot! rule and ruled that re-rolls do not, in fact, allow rerolling the Gets Hot! roll for plasma cannons.
    Last edited by Renegade Paladin; 2016-06-13 at 09:09 PM.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

The chance looks pretty bad to me, reading the draft FAQs just now. Also reading them I found out that they flatly contradicted the text of the Gets Hot! rule and ruled that re-rolls do not, in fact, allow rerolling the Gets Hot! roll for plasma cannons.
    Yup, they just keep giving me more reasons to have Grav Kataphrons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Judging from the fact that they kept it that way for the 6th ed one instead of changing it back, I'd say it's going to stay the same.

Also, isn't it just that prefered enemy doesn't allow gets hot re-rolls but re-rolling to hit still allws a re-roll for gets hot?

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Also reading them I found out that they flatly contradicted the text...
    That's why I frequently write FAQ Errata. There are many instances where they are fundamentally altering the rulebook.
    That's not an iffy reading of the text. That's not a 'It doesn't say you can so you can't' ruling.
    It's Errata. Plain an simple.

Posted from phone.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

30. - Top - End - #60

Also, isn't it just that prefered enemy doesn't allow gets hot re-rolls but re-rolling to hit still allws a re-roll for gets hot?
    That wasn't the question and it wasn't the answer. Their rationale was that since the Gets Hot! roll for blast/template weapons isn't a roll To Hit, re-rolls To Hit don't allow re-rolling the special Gets Hot! roll for blast/template weapons. Despite, of course, the plain fact that the Gets Hot! rule has a sub-heading ("Gets Hot and Re-rolls") that addresses this and says the exact opposite of what they put in the draft FAQ.