New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 51 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333449 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Changing Perception of V's Gender

Quote Originally Posted by Drekhan View Post
    Assuming there must be 1 male and 1 female elf to make children.

V is definately male by process of elimination.

V's spouse is clearly female. Only a wife would begin nagging and complaining about how she was rescued from certain doom in under 5 minutes.

Which leaves V's role as husband.
    Except, V's children are adopted.

Though with that one exception, I do agree with your other points.
    Last edited by JJ48; 2009-04-08 at 01:44 PM.

2. - Top - End - #692
    Ettin in the Playground

I've always thought of V as male, and the last few comics have done nothing but support my opinion. Kyrie seems very feminine to me too. Though I also like idea that they are two homosexual men raising adopted children, I think V's mate is female.

3. - Top - End - #693
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drekhan View Post
    Assuming there must be 1 male and 1 female elf to make children.

V is definately male by process of elimination.

V's spouse is clearly female. Only a wife would begin nagging and complaining about how she was rescued from certain doom in under 5 minutes.

Which leaves V's role as husband.
    V's children are adopted, meaning that your theory is null.

If one assumes that the term mate refers to the opposite gender then your theory would be logically correct, but only the Giant knows the real answer.
    I see V as female in some situations, and male in others.
    Yet another Touhou fan in the playground.
    I'm the strongest, but don't call me an idiot or I'll cyro-freeze you together with some English Beef. - Cirno Avatar by me, assassin8⑨

4. - Top - End - #694
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

For some reason, in the last few strips, Vaarsuvius and Kyrie remind me of Willow and Tara from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. So... I guess I see both of them as female. :p

Before that, I saw V as male in some situations and female in others, though I saw hir as female most of the time.

5. - Top - End - #695
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Honestly, I think V is a chick.

The level of dedication and obsession not withstanding, the maternal instinct is strong in her. I mean, she committed familicide for them. Far more epic than trying to fight V off with a stick.

I mean, sure V doesn't go out of her way to show off what gender she is, but every girl in the series that's on the goodguy side has asked V's opinion, while not asking any of the guys. (Haley - boots, Celia - dress)

Case in point: Maybe she's just flat. I mean, she is 2 dimensional.

6. - Top - End - #696
    Barbarian in the Playground

I always interpreted V as a male, but that may be because I'm a metalhead and long hair for a guy is not unusual at all to me.

The epicified V, however, seems fairly feminine to me. For some reason, I suspect it's the teeth.

7. - Top - End - #697
    Dwarf in the Playground

I've always assumed that both Inkyrius and Vaarsuvius were male, until the last few strips. Their pet names for each other, Kyrie and Suvie, are a lot more feminine than their full names, and are reminiscient of girl's names, ie. Kylie and Sue.

As far as looks go, I've always thought that V looked more masculine in side-on shots, but much more feminine in front-on shots. I'm not sure why that is.

8. - Top - End - #698

Default Re: V's Gender Debate IV [Official]

Quote Originally Posted by Ziriath View Post
    I think, androgynous elves like V, Kyrie and Zz'dtri have got about 12 years old-looking girls/boys bodies
    Zz'dtri's not androgynous. He's a confirmed male. http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0049.html 3rd panel. V calls him "Mr. Zz'dtri." I feel like V should be able to tell.
    Done here. Thanks, friends.

9. - Top - End - #699
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I feel that 'Vaarsuvius' is a primarily male character, so I refer to hir as a 'he' in my mind, but I also have an Epileptic Tree theory about why all elves (with one exception, I believe) we have seen are androgynous.

Spoiler
    Show
    Elves are literally a hermaphrodite race. Like some animals, if they want/need to, elves can change their gender. So, if V and Kyrie wanted to have children of their own (minus the whole adoption thing), one could assume a female biology and the other can assume a male one. This ability evolves into a disassociation with the whole idea of 'gender identity' and, unless an elf specifically keeps a certain gender in all circumstances, this leads to elves in general behaving in a way that makes their 'gender' hard to determine. This would also explain why, in elven, there is no word that distinguishes gender for parents. There's no 'mom' or 'dad' (apparently) because 'mom' could easily become 'dad' and vice versa. I think that Vaarsuvius never bothered explaining this because, one, it's possibly a little embarrassing to talk about, two, it's none of the Order's business, and/or three, s/he found it really funny to see them trying to guess.

Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing is ever inhuman for, no matter how heinous the crime, one can always find a human willing to commit it. ~Unknown

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm a Neutral Good Human Druid (1st Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 12
    Dexterity- 13
    Constitution- 13
    Intelligence- 14
    Wisdom- 11
    Charisma- 11

Look here to see what D&D character you are!

10. - Top - End - #700
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm pre-emptively bumping this, in the vain hope it will prevent at least two of the three threads that would otherwise arise from the latest strip.

Although, Redcloak was using True Seeing...
    Assistant Treasurer of the Haley fan club
    Crewman of the Bandana fan club

11. - Top - End - #701

Quote Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
    I'm pre-emptively bumping this, in the vain hope it will prevent at least two of the three threads that would otherwise arise from the latest strip.

Smart thinking. Now we'll see if it works...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you kpenguin for the lovely avatar, Recaiden for my dolly, and Alleine for this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Alleine View Post
    dish is a cool crazy cat lady.

12. - Top - End - #702
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yendor View Post

Not only was Redcloak using True Seeing...He (and pretty much everyone in the strip) referred to V as "SHE"...multiple times. I personally don't recall much in the way of specific gender pronouns ever being used in regards to V (or elves in general for that matter).

13. - Top - End - #703
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DirgeChoir View Post
    Not only was Redcloak using True Seeing...He (and pretty much everyone in the strip) referred to V as "SHE"...multiple times. I personally don't recall much in the way of specific gender pronouns ever being used in regards to V (or elves in general for that matter).
    Actually, I remember there was one reference to V as a she, back in the forest/bandit episode (around 100-150 but before being captured by the paladin).

I personally think both V and S are female OR elves don't have fixed genders, unlike humans.

14. - Top - End - #704
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Question V's Gender?

In the latest comic Tsukiko called V "she" so does this mean that V is a chick?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh's Fist View Post
    I want to cast Magic Missile at the darkness.

15. - Top - End - #705

Default Re: V's Gender?

Yes. This undeniably proves that V is female.

Spoiler
    Show

Instances of Vaarsuvius Being Referred to As a Male:
    OOTS #9 - Roy: V-man is casting Identify.
    OOTS #87 - Elan: Unless he's half-dromedary...
    OOTS #111 - Belkar: Hey, I didn't tell the elf to fail his Will save against ghast paralyzation. He did that on his own, with no consideration of how it would affect me.
    OOTS #252 - Sabine: The elf dude is old and highly skilled at magic... and an apprentice would be young and barely competent!
    OOTS #306 - Wizard: Should we tell him about the 350 gp worth of ink he used?
    Other Wizard: No, let him sleep it off.
    OOTS #508 - I suppose. Or 'e's just dedicated to winning.
    OOTS #631 - Qarr: I'll get right on that, Mr. Elf, sir.
    OOTS #638 - Nero: I think he said...
    OOTS #650 - Roy: You need to tell him that I said this was a bad idea!

Instances of Vaarsuvius Being Referred to As a Female:
    OOTS #135 - Eve: Hmmm. Y'know, Larry, she might have a point.
    OOTS #252 - Nale: We need a wizard or sorcerer or something to square off against the elf chick that follows my idiot brother Elan.
    OOTS #385 - Sabine: You got it, sister.
    OOTS #637 - Qarr: That ridiculous alternate plan you dangled in front of her would have required a lot of observation to come up with.
    OOTS #653 - Tsukiko: Wait- who the hell is that, and why is she fighting Xykon when she looks like she should be asking for a team-up?
    Redcloack: She's using an effect called a Soul Splice, which means she's probably using all of her focus just holding on to her power.

Instances of Vaarsuvius's Androgyny Being Acknowledged:
    OOTS #107 - Belkar: Pointy-eared, purple-haired, ambiguously-gendered pain in my ass.
    OOTS #173 - Ticketmaster Orc: Your horse, sir or madam.
    OOTS #177 - Belkar: You know, if I knew more about reptilian reproductive anatomy, I'm sure this would answer a lot of questions.
    OOTS #254 - Nale: Hey! A clearly-established gender identity! He is an Evil Opposite!
    OOTS #323 - Belkar: Roy's Spot and Listen checks are too low to watch us all of the time, you androgynous twit.
    OOTS #348 - Belkar: The elf can get him- or herself out of trouble if need be, but you can't.
    OOTS #442 - Roy: There won't be any place left for introverted dwarves. Or androgynous elves. Or idiotic bards or greedy rogues... or sexy sylphs.
    OOTS #599 - Durkon: I dinnae know what's gotten inta 'em. Or 'er, I've ne'er been quite sure.
    OOTS #637 - Cedrik: She-
    Lee: He? It?
    Cedrik: - was just the next customer to come along.
    OOTS #652 - Xykon: I don't really want to hear your backstory, Mr.-or-Mrs. Spock.
    Xykon: You only have a king or queen showing, but you've got a pair of jacks in the hole, am I right?
    Credits to half-halfling for my adorable avatar.

Come visit the Discussion Thread Index II.
    Looking for a new webcomic to read? Take a look at the Webcomic List.

16. - Top - End - #706
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

No. The giant has specifically said this. Read the FAQ.

17. - Top - End - #707
    Banned

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Helinon View Post
    This is why I hate pixies. They never read the FAQs and think they're so smart because they must have figured out V's gender or what the MitD is. Get it straight all of you (pixie or not). We're never going to figure out V's gender, and the odds of guessing what the monster in the darkness is is about a million to one.

God I hate these threads.

18. - Top - End - #708

Quote Originally Posted by Berserk Monk View Post
    This is why I hate pixies. They never read the FAQs and think they're so smart because they must have figured out V's gender or what the MitD is. Get it straight all of you (pixie or not). We're never going to figure out V's gender, and the odds of guessing what the monster in the darkness is is about a million to one.

God I hate these threads.
    Hey, were were ALL pixies once!

But seriously: STOP MAKING THESE THREADS. It irritates me. Although we could just stop clicking on them...nah.
    The above posts may will contain varying amounts of egotism.

And so will this signature. Come visit my Youtube channel here.

19. - Top - End - #709
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Berserk Monk View Post
    They never read the FAQs and think they're so smart because they must have figured out V's gender or what the MitD is.
    Well, there was that one thread that tried to guess the MitD's gender. That's new.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

20. - Top - End - #710
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Well, there was that one thread that tried to guess the MitD's gender. That's new.
    We should start on Haley now. I mean, he kisses girls! That's gotta mean he's a dude!

21. - Top - End - #711
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DirgeChoir View Post
    and, not only that, but V was flying. in a robe.
    Politics is the most accurate word in the English language. "Poli" in Latin meaning "Many" and
    "tics" meaning "little insects"

22. - Top - End - #712

NecromancerGuy

I've said it before, I'm saying it again, this guy starts a few new accounts every month just to make "V is M/F" threads later on... I mean, really, most people had to actually read arguments about V's gender before they realised it's supposed to be ambiguous.

23. - Top - End - #713
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Helinon View Post
    I think so.

24. - Top - End - #714
    Banned

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Yeah as scary as the MitD might be, I don't think we want to get gender and sexual reproduction involved with whatever that thing might be. It's scary enough without genitals.

25. - Top - End - #715

"I will never reveal the truth! Bwahaha!"

26. - Top - End - #716
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mizzim View Post
    and, not only that, but V was flying. in a robe.
    And V doesn't seem to wear anything under that robe...
    This post may contain sarcasm.
    DeviantArt

27. - Top - End - #717
    Halfling in the Playground

Ok, I'm pretty sure of Vaarsuvius's gender: MALE.
    Look at the way the character is drawn! Look at the way he speaks (though I admit this evidence is not too stable). And finally, Rich Burlew actually calls V male repeatedly in the "Lizard Who Roared" commentary in the No Cure for the Paladin Blues book, right after the whole bandit sequence . Really, the main reason people seem to doubt V's gender is because of his haircut . I dunno, it just seems more fitting for V to be male.
    In addition, Kyrie is also probably male, as again he is drawn as one. I personally think V is gay, and the latter has even called his children his "adopted progeny."
    Of course, the Giant could easily disprove all that I have just said, I guess, but personally, I think V-Man is a male.

Still, one has too wonder a little why it matters....

28. - Top - End - #718

Based on Lira's list (posted above and a few other places), what gender every character in OOTS thinks V is:

: Not quite sure, but leaning male. (Though the former touched off the gender debates and the latter may have been gender-neutral.)
    : If anyone other than V would know, it's Haley. So naturally she's never been on record as using any pronoun.
    : Not sure.
    : Male (but possibly gender-neutral).
    : Not sure. (#111 probably uses "he" gender-neutrally.)
    : Never used any pronoun to refer to V.
    : Not sure.
    : Female (though possibly taking their cues from Tsukiko below).
    :tsukiko:: Female.
    : Male.
    : Not sure, but leaning female.
    : Male. (But female when drunk.)
    : Hasn't had enough contact with V to need to refer to him/her.
    Eve of #135: Female.
    Orc in 173: Not sure.
    Wizards in 306: Male (but possibly gender-neutral).
    Qarr: Male to his face, female to the IFCC.
    IFCC Yellow: Not sure.
    IFCC Orange: Female.
    IFCC Purple: Male (though it could be gender-neutral).
    Last edited by Morgan Wick; 2009-05-18 at 03:31 PM. Reason: I may have been thinking of a comment on my blog - easy mistake to make in any case - and we have a new example...

98% of the internet has a Myspace. If you're one of the 2% who isn't an emo whiner, show solidarity by putting this in your sig.

Instead, I have a blog and web site: http://morganwick.com Tweeter: http://twitter.com/morganwick Webcomic (not really OOTS-related): http://morganwick.freehostia.com/webcomic

Official self-appointed former commentator for The Sticks Awards.

29. - Top - End - #719
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GNUsNotUnix View Post
    Simple.

Varsuvius is a guy. Otherwise, he would have been 'Varsuvia.'
    I think so too.

30. - Top - End - #720
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elyk80 View Post
    I think so too.
    Then, shouldn't she be Varsuvio if she were a male?