New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 59 FirstFirst 12345678910111213142954 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: RWBY VIII: Well, THAT escalated quickly

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I really hope they improved the writing. If the animation is actually good, it won't matter if literally everything else is still bad. We'll see how it goes.
    The writing has been fine, ya goober, specially last season.

...LaZodiac, maybe this is just a small sample size, but most things I see you comment on you do not seem to enjoy. Do you need an intervention? XD
    Last edited by Callos_DeTerran; 2016-10-06 at 11:12 AM.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    They start the 22nd.

I think the writing will be better. A lot of the stupidity was due to the "safety" of the setting. Minimal threats plus major grade backup plus no lasting consequences = goofy and stupid is viable. Now we've seen lasting consequences, the support network has all but dissolved, and the teaser proves that the threats are very real (before Salem and Cinder even come into the picture).
    Those things are all the result of (arguably) bad writing, though, not the other way around. You can still have a mature story with **** writing, in the same way that you can have a childish one written well.
    Main character-ish avatar by Oneris.
    Onyx 5: Volsung. May he live forever.

I have a quote!
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    You are a sick and twisted man.
    I like you.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    The writing has been fine, ya goober, specially last season.

...LaZodiac, maybe this is just a small sample size, but most things I see you comment on you do not seem to enjoy. Do you need an intervention? XD
    I personally disagree. There were some good moments, yes, last season, but the whole of it was just kind of bleh. Magical powers introduced out of nowhere said to be on the level of a god. Beaten by Cinder and the two chuckle****s. Almost beaten by Pyrrha. No real explanation on what it is and why it's special beyond "it's a special thing". Having to fight with all the OTHER special things.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I personally disagree. There were some good moments, yes, last season, but the whole of it was just kind of bleh. Magical powers introduced out of nowhere said to be on the level of a god. Beaten by Cinder and the two chuckle****s. Almost beaten by Pyrrha. No real explanation on what it is and why it's special beyond "it's a special thing". Having to fight with all the OTHER special things.
    I mean, we're at, what, either two or four Special Things at this point? Depending on how you count.

Dust: Just a part of the setting. About as special as batteries.

Aura: Also not particularly special. Combat-capable Auras seem kind of rare?

Seasonal Maiden Magicks: Distinctly NOT Aura, very Special Indeed.

Silver-Eyes: SUPER MEGA ULTRA SPECIAL! BUY ONE GET ONE FREE!
    Last edited by BRC; 2016-10-06 at 01:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

5. - Top - End - #95

By the logic of the first two, D&D wizards and sorcerers din't count as magical, because they're "just part of the setting".

I have a quote!
    I like you.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorFaust View Post
    By the logic of the first two, D&D wizards and sorcerers din't count as magical, because they're "just part of the setting".
    Hence "Depending on how you count, you have two or four".

Also, note,I said "Special" not "Magical". The first two are special by comparison to our world, but are perfectly mundane on Remnant. The latter two are Special on Remnant as well.

Are we counting the number of different Magic systems, or the number of things that are Super Mega Special Powerful?
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

7. - Top - End - #97

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Are we counting the number of different Magic systems, or the number of things that are Super Mega Special Powerful?
    I'd say a mix of both. I feel like you can't just slot Dust into the setting and expect people to accept it without explaining it a little. It's magic crystal that can be ground up into powder and power magical abilities. Okay. So why does have dust inside your gun make your Semblance/Aura power different? Also Semblances/Aura Powers are another super mega special thing, and Weiss's is EXACT special because it's apparently a genetic thing whereas others are seemingly not.

And then of course we have the dumb god powers and Actual Magic. And then also the Silver Eyes.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I'd say a mix of both. I feel like you can't just slot Dust into the setting and expect people to accept it without explaining it a little. It's magic crystal that can be ground up into powder and power magical abilities. Okay. So why does have dust inside your gun make your Semblance/Aura power different? Also Semblances/Aura Powers are another super mega special thing, and Weiss's is EXACT special because it's apparently a genetic thing whereas others are seemingly not.

And then of course we have the dumb god powers and Actual Magic. And then also the Silver Eyes.
    I mean, they do the "World of Remnant" things to explain stuff.

So, there's Dust, which powers things, explodes when shot, and can be used to apply elemental modifiers to Semblence/Aura Powers ( Think Weiss works by just shoving Aura into dust to get various elemental effects?). It can also be woven into clothes or items to do stuff.

Then there's Aura, which is kind of a generic Stronger/Tougher thing that everybody has. It's a force field, it makes you hit harder, presumably also lets them do the crazy acrobatic stuff, when you run out of it you get tired and become vulnerable to injury.

Then there's Semblance, which is everybody's individual Super Special X-Man Power, which I think is also run off Aura? And the Schnee's have a genetic, Glyph/summoning based Semblance, while everybody else just seems to get something at random from a list (Speed, Shadow Clones, Telekinesis, Forced Hallucinations, Gain power from being hit, magnetism, ect)

THEN, above that, there's Wizard Magic, Maiden Power (Which is I think a variant of Wizard Magic?) and Silver Eyes Power.
    Last edited by BRC; 2016-10-06 at 03:30 PM.
    [/Center]

9. - Top - End - #99

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    I mean, they do the "World of Remnant" things to explain stuff.

So, there's Dust, which powers things, explodes when shot, and can be used to apply elemental modifiers to Semblence/Aura Powers ( Think Weiss works by just shoving Aura into dust to get various elemental effects?). It can also be woven into clothes or items to do stuff.

Then there's Aura, which is kind of a generic Stronger/Tougher thing that everybody has. It's a force field, it makes you hit harder, presumably also lets them do the crazy acrobatic stuff, when you run out of it you get tired and become vulnerable to injury.

Then there's Semblance, which is everybody's individual Super Special X-Man Power, which I think is also run off Aura? And the Schnee's have a genetic, Glyph/summoning based Semblance, while everybody else just seems to get something at random from a list (Speed, Shadow Clones, Telekinesis, Forced Hallucinations, Gain power from being hit, magnetism, ect)

THEN, above that, there's Wizard Magic, Maiden Power (Which is I think a variant of Wizard Magic?) and Silver Eyes Power.
    I still don't feel like the World of Remnant shorts help much, but okay. Let's go over some the inaccuracies in what you've said (not your fault, it's the shows fault).

Everybody has Aura, except Jaune who had to have his turned on for some reason. Even though it shields you from all harm you can still be knocked out a gun to the face.

It's never really said what the Semblances run off of, but they can interact with the dust you have loaded into your weapon, even if it's just some kinda clip on keychain attached to your gun like Blake's, for unexplained reasons. Also the Schnee family having a special genetic one while everyone else having random ones seems really weird and makes it seem like they're actually two things.

The Maiden Powers are LIKE semblances but NOT. We're told the maiden power is attached to the semblance of the girl, and was put there by the Magic powers of the wizard. It's not explained what it does or why it's even remotely special beyond "it's just god powers" and yet is not shown to be even remotely useful. The Silver Eye stuff is even more vague power from nothing.

EDIT: It occurs to me I forgot to respond to the "...LaZodiac, maybe this is just a small sample size, but most things I see you comment on you do not seem to enjoy. Do you need an intervention? XD " part of Callos's comment. Oops!

Don't worry I do participate in things I like. One Piece, Agents of Shield, The Flash (once I actually watch the new episode...), and the Jojo thread. I also HAVE game threads where I gush about lovely games I'm playing for the internet (check em oooout).
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2016-10-06 at 11:17 PM.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ettin in the Playground

Respect the opinion, but I disagree. Being beaten by Cinder and company isn't exactly an indication of being weak nor was Cinder almost beaten by Pyrrha. And there is an explanation for it and a reason why its special...its actual magic, not a result of energy propellent, someone's sembalance, or aura which are all things studied while being a known factor which is also why its special. Its magic, there's no explanation for how it works, because there isn't one...just vaguely understood rules about how its passed on.

But y'know, I figure you've heard plenty of similar arguments and are comfortable with your opinion. ^_^ So I'm not gonna waste my time trying to sway you otherwise, just playfully poke fun at you on occasion.

EDIT: It occurs to me I forgot to respond to the "...LaZodiac, maybe this is just a small sample size, but most things I see you comment on you do not seem to enjoy. Do you need an intervention? XD " part of Callos's comment. Oops!

Don't worry I do participate in things I like. One Piece, Agents of Shield, The Flash (once I actually watch the new episode...), and the Jojo thread. I also HAVE game threads where I gush about lovely games I'm playing for the internet (check em oooout).
    Heh, no worries about a latish reply, I don't mind.

Ahh, so that's why I don't see you happy about things other than SU, they are threads I don't visit. XD Explains a lot!

...still, I got those folding chairs and I'mma keep my eye on you. I'm like an intervention ninja, regular and Naruto style. I sneak up all subtle and shady like than smack ya with the nuclear equivilent intervention meeting.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

11. - Top - End - #101

Respect the opinion, but I disagree. Being beaten by Cinder and company isn't exactly an indication of being weak nor was Cinder almost beaten by Pyrrha. And there is an explanation for it and a reason why its special...its actual magic, not a result of energy propellent, someone's sembalance, or aura which are all things studied while being a known factor which is also why its special. Its magic, there's no explanation for how it works, because there isn't one...just vaguely understood rules about how its passed on.

But y'know, I figure you've heard plenty of similar arguments and are comfortable with your opinion. ^_^ So I'm not gonna waste my time trying to sway you otherwise, just playfully poke fun at you on occasion.

Heh, no worries about a latish reply, I don't mind.

Ahh, so that's why I don't see you happy about things other than SU, they are threads I don't visit. XD Explains a lot!

...still, I got those folding chairs and I'mma keep my eye on you. I'm like an intervention ninja, regular and Naruto style. I sneak up all subtle and shady like than smack ya with the nuclear equivilent intervention meeting.
    While I find the idea of "you don't need to explain magic" alright, I feel like the way this series presents itself, and presents this power, should give us at least something to latch onto as "real". We're given no explanation what so ever about why the Maiden powers are so special that they can't even be allowed to live regular lives. Wouldn't anyone just, reasonably, assume they're Semblances? What makes THOSE powers more special than anything else? I don't mind fun rib poking though, it's part of why I do enjoy this thread.

Thanks, I appreciate it. Always good to know people are there to make sure I don't become insane. Speaking of which I need to think of an amount of money that would make me want to read through Needless again for the entertainment of the internet...

12. - Top - End - #102
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Speaking of which I need to think of an amount of money that would make me want to read through Needless again for the entertainment of the internet...
    One million dollars.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

13. - Top - End - #103

*insert obvious WWE joke here*

I have a quote!
    I like you.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

Do recall that in one of the world of remnant sections they explain about auras/semblences being related, and that with the right semblance you can develop it to what, by setting standards, makes you truly super human/inhuman in terms of how powerful you are.

Who's to say Phyrra, uber prodigy that she was, wasn't in that weight class? Sorta like how Magneto in X-men is at a power level were he can throw down with cosmic forces.
    "I Burn!"

15. - Top - End - #105

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    One million dollars.

I'm looking for a reasonable number

Quote Originally Posted by Metahuman1 View Post
    Do recall that in one of the world of remnant sections they explain about auras/semblences being related, and that with the right semblance you can develop it to what, by setting standards, makes you truly super human/inhuman in terms of how powerful you are.

Who's to say Phyrra, uber prodigy that she was, wasn't in that weight class? Sorta like how Magneto in X-men is at a power level were he can throw down with cosmic forces.
    Yeah, but HOW are they related. We know Semblances are basically aura powers unique to individuals (except when they're not) that let them do things, but that's basically it. And again, if you can make your aura power rival that of full on god powers...why are the god powers considered special?

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

I'm with LaZodiac on this one. RWBY is very bad about its exposition. It either gives us terms and concepts like we're supposed to be perfectly familiar with them (Dust or Semblance), or goes on long-winded exposition-fests (Pyrrha to Jaune).
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Orc in the Playground

While I find the idea of "you don't need to explain magic" alright, I feel like the way this series presents itself, and presents this power, should give us at least something to latch onto as "real". We're given no explanation what so ever about why the Maiden powers are so special that they can't even be allowed to live regular lives. Wouldn't anyone just, reasonably, assume they're Semblances? What makes THOSE powers more special than anything else? I don't mind fun rib poking though, it's part of why I do enjoy this thread.
    Did you read the harry potter books? The maiden powers behave in many ways like the elder wand. They're a significant power boost, still vulnerable to ambush or defeat by an extraordinary foe but still valuable. More importantly unlike skill in dust or a semblance they can be stolen making them a huge temptation for anyone who craves power and knows they exist.

Additionally,and this part is admittedly speculation; I suspect they function a bit like the one ring. The maiden powers are stronger for those who already hold power. if that were the case the ideal bearer in a tune of peace would be relatively weak so the power could be mistaken for a mere semblance. Once the cats out of the bag though you would want your strongest candidate a.k.a pyrrha.
    I don't know everything merely everything of importance-Fidelias
    Avatar by the illustrious Lord Raziere

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnoc View Post
    Did you read the harry potter books? The maiden powers behave in many ways like the elder wand. They're a significant power boost, still vulnerable to ambush or defeat by an extraordinary foe but still valuable. More importantly unlike skill in dust or a semblance they can be stolen making them a huge temptation for anyone who craves power and knows they exist.

Additionally,and this part is admittedly speculation; I suspect they function a bit like the one ring. The maiden powers are stronger for those who already hold power. if that were the case the ideal bearer in a tune of peace would be relatively weak so the power could be mistaken for a mere semblance. Once the cats out of the bag though you would want your strongest candidate a.k.a pyrrha.
    You're assuming that Harry Potter is good writing.

Anyways, I do agree with LaZodiac on that matter. If you needed to make the Maiden's powers to be important, actually have them be impressive. Or leave them up to our imagination entirely instead of giving us that, rather mediocre, fight scene. And then when the BBEG gets those powers, don't have her immediately get pushed to the limit against an ordinary person. A prodigy sure, but still ordinary. Alternatively, have Pyrrha already have half those powers like they wanted, and then it's a duel between the two for the ownership of the mantle of the Maiden.

Instead we get the entirely unexplained and unexpected Deus Ex Machina of the 'grey eyes'. We still don't have a clue what happened with that.

Though my complaints about writing come more about the character deaths and other mismanagement.

Penny's death aborted what was honestly the most interesting (side) storyline we had. And it was handled poorly and in a nonsensical way. (I can really go on a huge rant, or rather, I'll go retrieve the huge rant I already wrote)

Torchwick's death may have been necessary, but it certainly wasn't necessary to rob it of all impact by making it a joke. And he was the only villain who had much of a personality (Cinder had an entire flashback episode and I still couldn't give a rat's *** about her).

And a bunch of other little things. I can go on, but this post is long enough already.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

19. - Top - End - #109

I have! The Elder Wand is explained as being made from the literal Grim Reaper. Magic wands are explained to be made from magical creature parts and that influences their power. The Grim Reaper is FUNDEMENTALLY A MAGICAL GOD. They establish quite reasonably that HEY, this wand made from the bones of DEATH ITSELF is gonna be PRETTY BADASS compared to a regular ole hobbit hair wand or whatever. I'd argue that's the exact opposite of the Maiden powers since we have no reason to believe this guy is anything more than some random ass hedge wizard. I only assume he has to be someone really powerful because he's Obviously Ozpin, so he must be important.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh, magic system thoughts! I'm here for this.

Aura is soul power, fine. Dust is special material that produces elemental energy (and soul power can interact with it), fine. Semblance is an individual and unique manifestation of soul power, fine. There's bits of weirdness and clumsiness like Jaune's exposition scene and RWBY not telling each other their Semblances ahead of time, but in general it's a perfectly normal magic system.

Then there's special powers that get passed around in mysterious ways and relate to old myths, and whose existence isn't known to most of the world. This is also fine, in itself. But RWBY fumbles the execution. It takes the mythical and makes it awkwardly mechanical with things like the Maiden inheritance scheme and the ability theft device tailored specifically to Maiden powers. It gives the Maidens power, but not a role or responsibility corresponding to their mythical status as keepers of the seasons, some significance that justifies all the hullabaloo Ozpin&co. make about them. Meanwhile, the silver-eyed warrior story is utterly banal--"A long time ago there were these strong people Grimm were afraid of and you're strong like them."

On a broader level, the mythical axis is seemingly orthogonal to the basic humanity-Grimm conflict, which undercuts the direction of the story--like, what is it about Team Bad Guys going after the Maiden powers that expresses their Team Bad Guy-ness? And RWBY doesn't yet have a coherent mythical arc--the contrast I'm thinking of is ASOIAF, which executes a theme of 'the return of the supernatural' through various disparate elements without feeling scattershot (at least, that part of ASOIAF doesn't feel scattershot--it's the characters and politics that drag, not the magic). It should be straightforward to pull off a setting arc where our understanding of the magic system is progressively disrupted by mysterious mythical powers that don't follow the rules, but RWBY hasn't done that. Instead they treated 'seasonal Maidens' as its own unique thing, such that when the silver eyes power also became a thing it undermined the mystique of the Maiden powers, instead of complementing them as part of a more general theme.

That's just how I see it, of course, and it's early going for that part of the story, and there's plenty of potential to play with (the conflict between Ironwood and Qrow could really have played on these ideas, for example, with Ironwood's "we can do science to it" attitude rubbing up against Qrow's "I've seen crazy things out there" attitude).

The show is fairly clear that maiden powers are a distinct power of their own, not a power boost to an existing ability.

Also, for the sake of clarity, there appear to be two methods of transfer; inheritance is sort of like the Elder Wand, but Salem's ability theft spider is not.
    Last edited by Lethologica; 2016-10-07 at 11:49 PM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

nor was Cinder almost beaten by Pyrrha.
    Yes, she was. I once disputed this point with Zodi, but then I went and actually watched it again. It was pretty bad.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

22. - Top - End - #112

I have! The Elder Wand is explained as being made from the literal Grim Reaper. Magic wands are explained to be made from magical creature parts and that influences their power. The Grim Reaper is FUNDEMENTALLY A MAGICAL GOD. They establish quite reasonably that HEY, this wand made from the bones of DEATH ITSELF is gonna be PRETTY BADASS compared to a regular ole hobbit hair wand or whatever. I'd argue that's the exact opposite of the Maiden powers since we have no reason to believe this guy is anything more than some random ass hedge wizard. I only assume he has to be someone really powerful because he's Obviously Ozpin, so he must be important.
    Actually, was the Elder Wand ever actually explicitly stated to be made from the Grim Reaper? I know that there's the whole Beedle the Bard thing, but I can't remember if it was extablished to be anything but a fairy tale.

I have a quote!
    I like you.

23. - Top - End - #113

Actually, was the Elder Wand ever actually explicitly stated to be made from the Grim Reaper? I know that there's the whole Beedle the Bard thing, but I can't remember if it was extablished to be anything but a fairy tale.
    Well I mean the cloak and whatever the hell it is ALSO exist and are real. And this is a universe with dementers and unicorns and time travel pocketwatches (I think that was the other hallows object actually?) so a Death finger wand isn't that unbelievable.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

Several people, including Dumbledore, doubted the tale, thinking that it's simply a legend that had arisen around three powerful, magical objects. What their origin really was is never made clear.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

25. - Top - End - #115

Well I mean the cloak and whatever the hell it is ALSO exist and are real. And this is a universe with dementers and unicorns and time travel pocketwatches (I think that was the other hallows object actually?) so a Death finger wand isn't that unbelievable.
    I will say that I mostly agree with you on the power thing for RWBY, but you do realize that you're basing this particular argument pretty much entirely on speculation, right? The presence of some magical things doesn't necessitate the existence of others. And even if only the things confirmed in canon were true, the Elder Wand is basically the equivalent of Weiss' semblance (i.e. a particularly powerful example of something within an existing system), not an entirely different system of power. EDIT: I looked at the Harry Potter wiki some more, and apparently J.K. Rowling has said that the core of the Elder Wand is a thestral hair. I did check the website, and it does appear to be her actual official site. Either that or someone has done an amazing job of faking being J.K. Rowling.

Also, minor detail, but the time travel pocket watch wasn't one of the Hallows. Those are Time-Turners, and the Ministry actually had a stock of them before they were destroyed in book 5. The Hallows are the Resurrection Stone, the Elder Wand, and the Cloak of Invisibility.
    Last edited by DoctorFaust; 2016-10-07 at 05:40 PM.

I have a quote!
    I like you.

26. - Top - End - #116

I will say that I mostly agree with you on the power thing for RWBY, but you do realize that you're basing this particular argument pretty much entirely on speculation, right? The presence of some magical things doesn't necessitate the existence of others. And even if only the things confirmed in canon were true, the Elder Wand is basically the equivalent of Weiss' semblance (i.e. a particularly powerful example of something within an existing system), not an entirely different system of power. EDIT: I looked at the Harry Potter wiki some more, and apparently J.K. Rowling has said that the core of the Elder Wand is a thestral hair. I did check the website, and it does appear to be her actual official site. Either that or someone has done an amazing job of faking being J.K. Rowling.

Also, minor detail, but the time travel pocket watch wasn't one of the Hallows. Those are Time-Turners, and the Ministry actually had a stock of them before they were destroyed in book 5. The Hallows are the Resurrection Stone, the Elder Wand, and the Cloak of Invisibility.
    The twist to all this is that I don't really like Harry Potter that much? So I legitimately am just going off what I've heard and seen I've never read the final book.

I feel like, even if it's all super stitution and nonsense in series, at least they tried to give some sort of explanation? I don't know, I'm tired from work.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Barbarian in the Playground

There are several writing problems in season 3, not the least of which is that the first third or so is entirely skipable without missing anything important. Maiden powers are interesting, but fall in to the problem of the system of magic in RWBY not being that well established enough for breaking the rules to have that much effect.

I'm for magic having rules (the most absolute being that it cannot easily resolve the plot) and am okay with the rules being broken, but it always has the biggest effect when there is a status quo that can be broken. And we haven't really focused on aura, dust, or semblances enough to care that there's a power that's different from them.

Also, it's stated that maiden powers must be kept secret because it would clash with "centuries of religion" despite that religion never being established.

Even worse is the "Silver Eyes" power that has the worst foreshadowing ever and comes off as a worse deus ex machina than energybending.

Finally there's Cinder, who's just so uninteresting as a villain. We have virtually no idea what she want's the maiden powers for, and she comes off as a generic, "just as planned" villain who just has stuff work for her, and gives a smirk afterwords. Basically she's just given too much focus for this to work.

Also, the comparison to the deathly hallows is more that it's ambigious as to the origin of these things. In harry potter it's deliberately left ambigious as to whether the deathly hallows are actually created by the Grim Reaper in the fairy tail, or just really powerful wizards. Similar to how with the Seasonal Maidens it's left ambigious as to whether the wizard is real or not.

Adendum: If Penny is not repaired, then here death is a waste of a good character and potential story.
    Last edited by Dragonexx; 2016-10-07 at 11:52 PM.
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon D20: A system designed for adventuring in a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon world.

The Review/Analysis Thread: In-depth reviews of various games and RPG products.

The New/Redone Monsters Thread: Taking bad or bland monsters and making them more interesting and challenging.

Yu-Gi-Oh!: Realms of Myth: In the world of monsters, Winda and Wynn go on an "epic" journey to find the legendary Dark Magician.

Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Madoka and Kingdom Hearts.

28. - Top - End - #118

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonexx View Post
    Finally there's Cinder, who's just so uninteresting as a villain. We have virtually no idea what she want's the maiden powers for, and she comes off as a generic, "just as planned" villain who just has stuff work for her, and gives a smirk afterwords. Basically she's just given too much focus for this to work.

Adendum: If Penny is not repaired, then here death is a waste of a good character and potential story.
    It cannot be stated enough that the only time I found Cinder interesting was when her voice actually cracked when Ruby went all Awakened One on her and the dragon's ass. She actually showed the slightest hint of character there, and that was "surprise at getting owned". She's honestly the worst villain I've seen in almost any series I can think of.

It's also killing the second of two ships that are actually tolerable. Way to kneecap your story guys. Just because Whedon kills off characters people like doesn't mean you should.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

It cannot be stated enough that the only time I found Cinder interesting was when her voice actually cracked when Ruby went all Awakened One on her and the dragon's ass. She actually showed the slightest hint of character there, and that was "surprise at getting owned". She's honestly the worst villain I've seen in almost any series I can think of.

It's also killing the second of two ships that are actually tolerable. Way to kneecap your story guys. Just because Whedon kills off characters people like doesn't mean you should.
    Yeah, overall I think that RWBY has potential, but could've benefited with a better execution of what its trying to do.

like if the limits of various power sources were better explained, if we had more time to get to know the characters, if we got a better idea of what the combat paradigm is, and just better plotting, could've been done better.

like if I were doing it I'd say:

Aura: general physical protection/super strength-speed-reflexes thing. is an extension of your soul through training, can't do anything else.

Semblance: special part of Aura because everyone's soul and fighting style is different and this power results from that, doesn't do anything else.

Dust: state what elements these things do, what their effects are, and how they can be used to incorporate into a fighting style through tech. can't do anything else.

Maiden Powers: soul-like things that choose their inheritors and impart powerful magic over the weather that people have used in politics and war throughout history to turn the tide.

Hunters: basically, small elite teams capable of taking out large numbers of Grimm. Armies, while completely capable of doing the same thing, cause too much fear and terror while doing so, so are only brought in as a last resort. Hunters are basically the FIRST line of defense sent to make sure they don't need to use a cudgel that while solving the problem, would only cause other problems as a result of using armies. emphasize to Hunters that if they don't do their jobs right, the military has to go in instead, which will be far messier, far more likely to spawn more Grimm as a result.

emphasize how the nations try to avoid war as much as possible and how Hunters, due to them being the dagger rather the hammer have to go on political missions to prevent wars from breaking out, and sometimes have to be stealthy commandoes who protect people from Grimm by making sure peace still reigns and positive emotions still happen. while other times have be center for propaganda pieces to give people hope. like sometimes, you just have to go on a mission to sneak up on a bunch of terrorists and kill them in their hideout before they launch an attack that would attract a lot of Grimm to the city, and that this isn't glamorous at all but its apart of the job because otherwise your not protecting people from the Grimm.

and sometimes when Grimm DO attack, you can heroically and flashily kill them all you want and the media will be allowed to center around you, take film of you kicking their ass, and afterwards you have to say encouraging words to the masses and smile so that they won't start worrying about the Grimm that attack thus attracting more, just emphasize how much the nations have to do keep the citizens happy. though I'd imagine some Hunters would gravitate more towards the celebrity role and others would gravitate more towards the secret agent role. like Yang? totes celebrity Huntress, while Blake would become a secret agent Huntress.

while the Silver Eyes, just give it some of ancient legend passed down and spoken only as a myth, just ahead of time at least. like make it something that doesn't just come out of nowhere, at least.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Protagonest View Post
    Yes, she was. I once disputed this point with Zodi, but then I went and actually watched it again. It was pretty bad.
    ...I have watched that fight many times, honestly more than I care to count, Pyrrha does not almost win. She comes nowhere close to winning the fight, she barely lands two blows during the first half of the fight (three if you count the shield charge out of the elevator that Cinder blocks)while the rest were deflected and three times during the second part once the Grimm Wyrm takes off the top of the tower all of which were surprise attacks (Cinder got incorrect info from Mecury that Pyrrha had to touch a metal object to redirect it, in other words Cinder didn't know Pyrrha could move the gears with her semblance). The entire rest of the fight, Pyrrha is doing everything she can possibly do to avoid being roasted alive, which also tells us that Cinder wasn't using her full capabilities since we know she can fire ice shards (like against Ozpin). Twice could you get the illusion that Pyrrha is winning.

When she has her pilum to Cinder's throat and is trying to end the fight. Except she is making absolutely no progress in getting that blade any closer to Cinder's throat while Cinder is making plenty of progress in melting through the blade and, even then, it would have no wear near the force needed to get through Cinder's Aura or Maiden powers.

The second is with the big gear attack. And yeah, Cinder looks surprised to see it, wanna know what she doesn't look? Scared. Or even worried about it and for good reason because she blows it away once she bothers to exert even close to the same amount of power she used against Ozpin. A last ditch and cleverly set up area-of-effect attack that Pyrrha used.

I love Pyrrha and I love that fight but Pyrrha did not 'almost' win it. The closest to an even one-on-one match anyone with a maiden's power has had was against Ozpin who was most likely captured. Even three on one, Emerald was almost killed and Mercury got his butt handed to him and that was a combination of an infallible (ish) illusion semblance, a well timed/planned ambush, and the three of them being very skilled and coordinated when it comes to fighting together. With all that, Amber still almost killed Emerald, knocked Mercury out of the fight, and was only taken down by a cheap shot.

The Maidens haven't really been justified for causing a mass panic and hysteria if their existence becomes known (aside from their mere existence in general), but claiming their abilities aren't powerful is flat out wrong given the context we have in the show so far.

And just to be certain that I wasn't somehow mis-remembering, I watched the fight again while typing this post.
    Last edited by Callos_DeTerran; 2016-10-08 at 12:43 AM.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."