New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Genural Marvel NOW ramblings.

So lately I've noticed that a lot of the smaller titles I read have been getting interjected with by bigger characters and/or events. Not that it's really that surprising considering that everything is part of the same universe and the companies that be love to remind readers of that fact but honestly it's kind of annoying because one of the main reasons I tend to focus so much on the smaller titles is that they usually get spared the kinds of drama that plagues the rest of the 'verse. Particularly I'm talking bout the likes of Moon Girl and Gwenpool.

For Moon Girl it's just a matter of Ms. Marvel popping in to setting some of the mess she puts herself in, I don't really know where that's going to be leading to honestly, but while I'm bringing it up I guess it warrants pointing out that Moon Girl is also Inhuman as well so who knows if she's eventually going to get caught up in all that too.

Gwenpool is a little weirder as they are taking someone who is clearly for all intents and purposes a joke character and are slowly trying to make her a legitimate non-joke character I guess? Don't get me wrong, I actually like Gwenpool as this outsider exploring the Marvel world and what, but I don't know how to take her if they start trying to take her seriously. Her last issue was basically all about teaming up with Miles Morales. Again I don't know if it will mean much down the line but considering the whole 'Divided We Stand' picture I have worries.. At first it honestly started out kind of funny, Gwen recognizes Miles in public (meta knowledge being her 'super-power') and gets a little star-struck which (understandably) freaks out a bit (I do like how she handles it when he confronts her about it)
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Who are you? How do you know who I am!?"
    I don't need him thinking I'm crazy right now...
    "I'm just a normal girl who was gifted with secret knowledge by a dying Watcher."
    "...Okay, damn."

Then ambiguous superheroing happens where they work together, eh.
    Also the next issues promises that she'll get caught up in Civil War II stuff. Gwenpool in Civil War II...

I guess I could add A-Force to the list to, but given that half the members of that are central to the whole Civil War II thing getting that mucked up was absolutely unavoidable...
    One question though. The conflict in A-Force tying into CWII is that it was 'seen' that one of the members (Nico) was going to murder some woman none of them knew named Alice, to which she runs off to avoid getting arrested and the team is split on how to deal with her. It's not described why she kills this woman or who this woman is supposed to be, it just really makes me wonder just how far are you going to press normal conventional laws when applied to super-humans? I mean if nothing else it just seems a whole lot of small fish. "Oh no, we much use these future seeing powers to prevent the incidental death of a single person." Meanwhile I find it hard to believe that normal everyday super-crimes are still happening regardless of what Ulysses is having visions for that must be going almost completely unchecked because literally every hero in the Marvel world is ether chasing after shadows or trying to stop the other half from doing so...

This all is kind of funny considering that the title that I fallow the most, Squirrel Girl, has almost the opposite problem. I mean Squirrel Girl is honestly involved with a whole bunch of things yet seems to do a good job of not letting any of it get caught up in her own comic (for now) which keeps it nicely drama free. I'm going to be really sad when that's no longer the case, seems only a matter of time...
    Last edited by BiblioRook; 2016-08-18 at 12:26 AM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...ot-again/page2
    Well, finally had a discussion with what is basically a debate and a fit by me.
    - So far Inhumans is allowing The Beast to do research. which haven't been mentioned and turned into "Mutants 2.0" in their marketing.
    - Apparently, Marvel writers are ignoring all "not minorities" in what is basically got outcast due to gas leak and X-Men already go those.
    - Apparently, they finally mentioned "bad side effects" of Terrigen Mists, which they have been ignoring for gazillions of issues to make them mutants.
    - Apparently, they seem to forget about giant Vacuum Cleaner and some groups managed to get samples of them.
    Let's just say that Marvel haven't marketed them too well and still sticking head in hole on making Tau-wannabes a thing, like their Marvel animations that they haven't still thinking about improving and very poorly-timed MCU Tie-ins.
    Last edited by t209; 2016-08-27 at 02:57 PM.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

3. - Top - End - #33

...Wow. Just... I don't know.

So as anyone who fallows Marvel probably knows by now, Bruce Banner was killed.
    'Big deal', right? But after all, he is a major player in the Marvel World and likely wouldn't leave him dead for long. Weeelll as it turns out...
    Spoiler
    Show
    his corpse just got stolen by The Hand. Anyone ready for a ninja zombie Hulk? If I were being told this by someone else would swear that were outright bsing me, but you;ll have to take my word for it.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, I seem to meet people who still try to defend Tau-wannabes called Inhumans.
    - claimed that they are not a bunch of elitists trying to be minority despite having done so.
    - despite let knowingly stockpile weapons, even WMD, they still claim that it's legitimate.
    - out of place Game of Thrones houses/tau-wannabes that would make them villains.
    - not trying to contain the gas even an inbred people like them can come up with giant vacuum cleaner and not trying to make them remotely heroic and not trying to make them separate along with editors with mental aptitude of High Lords of Terra (next thing you know, they will get away with gelding and enslaving notNorth Koreans that liberated earlier, just like Tau propaganda except true and less benign).
    - butt tons of retcons (slavery, caste system, turning into abomination, and eugenics) to make them palatable.
    - forcing victims to act like minorities despite the said monarch dropping a gas bomb as a form of survival without idea on scanners or trying to test for potential rather than letting the gas roam. Also Inhumans can still be normal if they do not get the gas. I mean Triton is well-cared but had he been look like Chaos Spawn, he would be lovingly kicked and abused.
    I mean the only way to improve it is to make Inhumans separate and make them like Space Marines* (the quirky and varying chapters to high failure rates for recruits, along with whether to keep slaves or not). Or having a team of superheroes to defeat other superhero teams (like Minotaurs, Space Sharks, and pre-heresy Space Wolves from wh40k having a child with Garth Ennis' The Boys) just to keep the conflicts in check (with acceptable bias against Inhumans). Or meta equivalent of God Emperor (or God Editor) from Text To Speech to make universe sane and less idiotic.

* maybe not Tau, but Inhumans are definitely more like Ultramarines due to being MCU spoiled brat and would be glad to see them pommeled by space bugs with leader lovingly nicknamed Gargamel. Definitely not Space Wolves since only one turned into a furry is Lockjaw. But since I said abominations, Chaos Spacemarine suits them better.
    Last edited by t209; 2016-09-15 at 07:29 PM.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

5. - Top - End - #35

... t209, as much I would very much rather to just say out of it I really have to say just how frustrating you can be with these angry Inhuman rants. It's not just so much that you are so obsessed with it as much as you never really even seem to say anything different about it. Always feels like the same things over and over again, right down to the same overly-specific Warhammer comparison.
    Now I can't really say if other people like or hate what you have to say on the subject, goodness know no one is probably interest in the things I've been trying to talk about. but I'm really getting to feel like the reason it's so hard to get a Marvel conversation going around here is every time anything remotely like one comes up you take advantage of it to get on your soapbox and continue ranting about the same stuff all over again without caring if anyone is actually listening or not. I guess what I'm asking is... please just give it a rest? Or at the very least considering you made a whole thread about talking about specifically to just maybe keep it to that thread.

I mean really, if you honestly hate the Inhumans so much why do you insist on reading them and keep up with what's going on with them? I mean I can't stand stuff like Civil War II and sure a lot of it is very unavoidable, but the last thing I try is to seek it out just so I can bitch about it.

Though in hindsight I guess the angry ranting is still preferable to the wild speculation on how Marvel is due for a random bloodbath just because maybe you feel things haven't been dramatic enough recently, so I'm not really asking you to get started back on that again ether. I guess I just don't really know what to ask from you.
    Last edited by BiblioRook; 2016-09-16 at 05:48 AM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Spamalot in the Playground

@ Inhumans: I guess my question would be, what would the detractors expect Marvel to do? In the end comics are a business and they want to use these characters, their characters. Yeah, they have horrible backstories, just like Fantastic Four used to be amazingly sexist and Superman was amazingly racist. Perhaps in the eyes of some, the Inhumans' brand is irredeemably tainted and should be scrapped entirely in favor of something totally new, but I don't think that is the case.

Also, +1 BiblioRook.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

7. - Top - End - #37

... I'm still kind of surprised that people think Marvel is going to actuall outright kill all of the X-Men in Death of X?

I mean... I can see a few deaths. I rather suspect that Death of X is a placeholder title, and in the end, the story will be reveal as the Death of X, as in [X], the Character.

Yeah, Marvel is milking the imagery of the X-Men dying while the Inhumans thrive, because... look at the opinions it's unearthing. Frankly, I just can't see Marvel posting images of Dead Mutants juxtaposed with Living Inhumans as anything other than trolling.

Marvels knows how fans feel about the Mutant-Inhuman thing. Of course they are going to play into it.

For my own part, and very neutrally? I like the concept of the Inhumans, when they are being the Inhumans. They are the closest analogue to Game of Thrones Marvel has; lineages stretching back thousands of years, a society whose major stories for the past few decades have been about the Royal Family's Power Struggles.

I think there are a lot of really itneresting stories that can be told with the Inhumans. Making them Mutantslite doesn't just har the X-Men franchise, it waters down the Inhumans and makes them less interesting as well.

...But the idea that Marvel is going to kill the X-Men and the Mutant race is absurd. Do the X-Men have fewer books these days? Probably... but that hardly means they are trying to kill the franchise. After all, didn't some Inhuman books just get cancelled?

Sorry if I'm aggressive. But, I am really tired of hearing that Marvel is killing all the mutants. I'll believe it when the last issue of X-Men get's cancelled, and everyone is dead. Until then, it's just Marvel, trolling a readership to incite opinions and get sales.
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show

Rise of the Runelords -Ely
    Fate/Grand Order: Chaldean Irregulars - Jean/Saber

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, just throwing a fit after returning from scans daily (going normal until I read the comments) and lack of reply on questions on "Mutant false flags" (trying to act like oppressed minorities while taking advantage of it) and "author's insistence being contradictory" (calling their empire building as galactic peace).
    For the Warhammer comparisons, I mean Inhumans reminded me of how Warhammer introduction of Tau (caste system, eugenics, and trying to be a new thing) went, except latter is actually one of decent factions (though still hear detractors that they will turn evil once they expand more) in Warhammer. And sterilization on humans is a rumor for the Tau.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

9. - Top - End - #39

Since this is the General Marvel page, I might as well ask... any books you guys would recommend?

I've been sticking to DC for a while now, but I'm thinking of dipping my toe into Marvel waters. I'm tmempted to dive into the Champions when it's released... but honestly, the only characters I know, or care about, in that line up are Ms Marvel and Teen!Cyke.

(I have been collecting the All New Wolverine volumes as they've been released though)

So far as my taste in DC comics goes (so you guys know where I'm coming from...) I've been enjoying... well, a lot of stuff from Rebirth, actually. But I'll cite Green Arrow, Supergirl and Deathstroke as examples of books I'm really digging at the moment. I'm interested in that sort of social commentary stuff when it's written well. Been considering picking up Captain Marvel and/or Ms Marvel, but... Civil War II hasn't endeared Carol to me.
    Last edited by Quiver; 2016-09-16 at 09:53 AM.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Quiver View Post
    Since this is the General Marvel page, I might as well ask... any books you guys would recommend?

I've been sticking to DC for a while now, but I'm thinking of dipping my toe into Marvel waters. I'm tmempted to dive into the Champions when it's released... but honestly, the only characters I know, or care about, in that line up are Ms Marvel and Teen!Cyke.

(I have been collecting the All New Wolverine volumes as they've been released though)

So far as my taste in DC comics goes (so you guys know where I'm coming from...) I've been enjoying... well, a lot of stuff from Rebirth, actually. But I'll cite Green Arrow, Supergirl and Deathstroke as examples of books I'm really digging at the moment. I'm interested in that sort of social commentary stuff when it's written well. Been considering picking up Captain Marvel and/or Ms Marvel, but... Civil War II hasn't endeared Carol to me.
    Explicitly current ongoing books? Or just recent Marvel stuff in general.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

11. - Top - End - #41

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Explicitly current ongoing books? Or just recent Marvel stuff in general.
    I'd prefer ongoing, or stuff which will be starting after Civil War II.

I... prefer the on-going narrative of stuff.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Well, since Civil-War II is being dragged out into Christmas, that's a tall order.

Especially since Marvel JUST got done rebooting their universe after Secret Wars.

Anyway, my favorite Ongoing books are probably Black Panther, The Ultimates, Thor, Ms Marvel and Spider-Gwen. Ms Marvel and Spider-Gwen started before Secret Wars, and their plotline is basically uninterrupted,(Ms Marvel had an arc about the end of the world, but whatever).
    Last edited by BRC; 2016-09-16 at 10:23 AM.
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

I think there are a lot of really itneresting stories that can be told with the Inhumans. Making them Mutantslite doesn't just har the X-Men franchise, it waters down the Inhumans and makes them less interesting as well.
    (Erased due to realizing how much of a fit it was).
    Last edited by t209; 2016-09-16 at 01:18 PM.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

14. - Top - End - #44

... I'm still kind of surprised that people think Marvel is going to actuall outright kill all of the X-Men in Death of X?

I mean... I can see a few deaths. I rather suspect that Death of X is a placeholder title, and in the end, the story will be reveal as the Death of X, as in [X], the Character.
    But they already killed off Xavier

But nah, I never expect that they would totally wipe out mutants. I mean for a while it was thier biggest cash-cow and still holds the potential to be so again. 0ne of the reasons people complain about the treatment of the X-Men in books is because how much the series means to them, if they didn't care I imagine this whole Anti-mutant phase Marvel is going though would be a lot more water under the bridge. I mean, what if Fox decided to one day give the film rights back or something only for Marvel to realize to late that they already killed all the characters worth a damn?

But really if there's any evidence that the mutants are going to be fine it's this: Deadpool's daughter has the x-gene, or at least he's convinced this is the case. While I guess it's not technically verified and could possibly end up he was wrong it certainly doesn't feel like something they would set up just so they could kill her off dramatically along with the rest of the mutant race (to take a page out of t209's book). And besides, you know Eventually Professor X will have to come back,
    Spoiler
    Show
    though presumably they will have to get his brain back from the Red Skull first...

Ms. Marvel is very good, but I would definitely recommend the first series of her (even though it ends a bit abruptly in a way that didn't go anywhere) over the second as they really try to dramatize her more as her series goes on. It's not that it gets bad necessarily, but I really miss the jovial fun-ness her series has to offer when it was just starting out. It's still there kinda but feels a bit more subdued...
    On that note, the first two Captain Marvel series are really good too. If you really want to see the side of Carol that is endeared this is where you will find it, I mean in the second one she goes off to have adventures in space with the Guardians of the Galaxy with her cat. There's a reason I hate Civil War II so much, I adore Captain Marvel but this series feels like Marvel is trying to sabotage her popularity at a time they should e trying to hype it up leading up to her movie, but I guess that is still a ways away enough for them to have plenty of time to run damage control on this cesspool of a mini-series.
    Part of the problem with Captain Marvel though is the burdens of responsibilities. In the first two series I recommended (and really the entirety of her Ms. Marvel run too I guess) is that she's very much just a 'normal person', yes one with nearly unrivaled super-powers and an Avengers membership but I really enjoyed seeing her needing to deal with everyday 'normal people' problems among her super human ones. Eventually though she rose to be one of the biggest big-wigs in the Marvel universe (Director of S.W.O.R.D., basically like S.H.E.L.D. but only more offensive then defensive) when now you have to manage troubles and concerns on a galactic nature you no longer get the luxury of worrying about petty every-day personal problems.

On the subject of movies coming out, the current Doctor Strange series is also pretty amazing and well worth recommending regardless of the movie. The All New Wolverine is also another excellent choice, but you are already reading that one and I feel I need to recommend the She-Hulk comics just on principle as that series never gets enough attention (though it's definitely a 'super-hero' comic of a different sort). Unfortunately I know basically diddly squat about DC so even with your list to compare with I wouldn't know what titles would work for you (aside from knowing that recommending Deadpool to a Deathstroke fan sounds like an awfully bad idea). I hear lot so good things about Spider-Gwen and Silk but personally haven't gotten around to reading them myself.

Unfortunately most of my favorite titles (like Squirrel Girl or Moon Girl) probably aren't the best to recommend to someone new to Marvel or looking for a serious recommendation in something super-hero-y, just for differences in tone if nothing else...
    Last edited by BiblioRook; 2016-09-16 at 01:11 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

For once I agree with you, Bibliorock.
    Just until I threw another for after reading ScansDaily's comments that somehow sound legitimate despite being told it's not.
    At lead if Marvel decided to get their heads out of MCU and make comic universe separate.
    For civil war 2, It's Bendis, since when did he respect continuity or any of his non-favorite character right after making Scarlet Witch into a mass murderer. I mean I feel bad for her whenever Vision discuss his marriage with her or the comic told her about Billy and Tommy. Not to mention making Guardians into all-human earth centric group. I mean hand that event to be finished by Al Ewing and that would be salvageable.
    Last edited by t209; 2016-09-16 at 01:26 PM.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

I second Dr. Strange, Black Panther, too.
    The current Amazing Spider-Man is quite good imo. You can absolutely ignore the civil war 2 spider man mini series, it doesn't affect or cross over with the ongoing series at all.
    Astonishing Ant Man is also fun. Though you should pick up the back issues of Ant-Man which came out in 2015, before secret wars started, since the current series is just a continuation of that.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, at least Black Panther is going well without ranting about hypocritical statements on reality while hoarding technology, cancer curing rocks, and developing weapons with last one being their distrust.
    And chewing a president out who came to wedding on good will, which they might counter it with hypocrisy that the BET executive doesn't realize.
    (sorry for Warhammer reference but definitely something Adeptus Mechanicus would do.)
    Last edited by t209; 2016-09-17 at 02:49 PM.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

http://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/6450429.html
    So why are Inhumans supposed to be heroes again and why the Gue-Vasa wannbe Nu-Human *ahem* still serving the ones who gassed them and probably killed/maimed tons of people with it?
    I mean granted that it was Black Bolt and somehow Terrigen can't be contained (*cough* Kamala Khan, Spider-fluid gas bag, and giant vacuum cleaner *cough*), but the execution was not perfect and stockpiling weapons didn't help.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

19. - Top - End - #49

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BiblioRook View Post
    My own sudden fit getting best of me again.
    Other than Marvel trying to make everything MCU tie in.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

21. - Top - End - #51

So I just found out about this; She-Hulk coming back and apparently taking over the Hulk series in Bruce's absence. I guess I would say I feel a bit conflicted.

On one hand it's great that Jen probably will be getting some good focus here and honestly a more serious She-Hulk story does make sense given what she just went through... on the other hand I'm really not getting the impression that this would be nothing like the stories that made me such a fan of her in the first place. So what, she's going to go all ragey and smash stuff? Go back to her 'Savage' days a bit only minus the little white dress? I'll probably still read it but I can't say I'm looking forward to it. One of the things that made She-Hulk so interesting as a character was that she wasn't just The Hulk but female.

On that note, just what's going on with Cho these days? One of the big problems with comic events is that they often expect you to read several dozen different series to get the whole picture when you only might be interested in two or three. I actually really liked what they were doing with 'The Totally Awesome Hulk', it was the Hulk only lighter and funner as the new Hulk had all of the powers but (mostly) none of the rage and instead was just smart as well as powerful instead of having to be one or the other (a kind of... male She-Hulk if you will). Thing is while I've been fallowing it, unless I missed an issue or to there hasn't seemed to be anything new from his title since Civil War II can out, and considering that I'm pretty sure he got caught up in the CWII nonsense pretty directly I find that odd but I'm really not about to delve into any CWII books to find out what that all might have ended up.

On a separate subject, I don't suppose there are any X-Men fans that could catch me up on where the X-Men actually are these days? Or rather more specifically, who's all active these days? Last bit I read of the X-men was some of the All-New stuff to see how the whole time-displaced original team business went down, but I haven't really kept up with it might beyond, well I guess the point where it hit the Secret Wars (goddam event arcs...). Since then the only X-Man I really kept close tabs on has been X-23 (All-New All-Different Wolverine) and she is pretty exclusively solo without overlapping with other X-Men in her title (which is odd considering I'm pretty sure she appears plenty in other titles, comic book continuity is weird). Aside from her the only ones I really know much about have been others that went off and did their own non-X-men things like Kitty Pryde (Guardians of the Galaxy), Rogue (Uncanny Avengers), and Jubilee (Hellcat).
    Last edited by BiblioRook; 2016-09-20 at 12:38 AM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

OK, managed to snap out of fit now and going back into more appropriate topic.
    So I just found out about this; She-Hulk coming back and apparently taking over the Hulk series in Bruce's absence. I guess I would say I feel a bit conflicted.

On one hand it's great that Jen probably will be getting some good focus here and honestly a more serious She-Hulk story does make sense given what she just went through... on the other hand I'm really not getting the impression that this would be nothing like the stories that made me such a fan of her in the first place. So what, she's going to go all ragey and smash stuff? Go back to her 'Savage' days a bit only minus the little white dress? I'll probably still read it but I can't say I'm looking forward to it. One of the things that made She-Hulk so interesting as a character was that she wasn't just The Hulk but female.
    Yeah, depends how it will be pulled off like being an arc than permanent (like Marvel marketing used to do).
    In other subject, Marvel haven't done any good Cosmic event since Annihilation. I mean I imagine that they should be doing Marvel version of Interstellar warfare (ala Battlefleet Gothic) except Civil War didn't happen and all heroes participated in it.
    And *sigh* why is Marvel trying not to go "Sam's dad is a Xandarian and pass on residue Nova Force" route? I feel that they have a thing against half-Alien having stable family life or an idea on alien decided to stay on Earth and raise family in general. I mean Starlord, Ultra-Girl, and Hulkling are either result of one night stand, no parents, and adopted respectively. I mean they are planning to bring back Richard Rider but at least try to at least have (very minor) hope for Xandar.
    *Depend if you interpret that Thanos deliberately let himself loose after getting bored with blowing up universe multiple times.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

On that note, just what's going on with Cho these days? One of the big problems with comic events is that they often expect you to read several dozen different series to get the whole picture when you only might be interested in two or three. I actually really liked what they were doing with 'The Totally Awesome Hulk', it was the Hulk only lighter and funner as the new Hulk had all of the powers but (mostly) none of the rage and instead was just smart as well as powerful instead of having to be one or the other (a kind of... male She-Hulk if you will). Thing is while I've been fallowing it, unless I missed an issue or to there hasn't seemed to be anything new from his title since Civil War II can out, and considering that I'm pretty sure he got caught up in the CWII nonsense pretty directly I find that odd but I'm really not about to delve into any CWII books to find out what that all might have ended up.

On a separate subject, I don't suppose there are any X-Men fans that could catch me up on where the X-Men actually are these days? Or rather more specifically, who's all active these days? Last bit I read of the X-men was some of the All-New stuff to see how the whole time-displaced original team business went down, but I haven't really kept up with it might beyond, well I guess the point where it hit the Secret Wars (goddam event arcs...). Since then the only X-Man I really kept close tabs on has been X-23 (All-New All-Different Wolverine) and she is pretty exclusively solo without overlapping with other X-Men in her title (which is odd considering I'm pretty sure she appears plenty in other titles, comic book continuity is weird). Aside from her the only ones I really know much about have been others that went off and did their own non-X-men things like Kitty Pryde (Guardians of the Galaxy), Rogue (Uncanny Avengers), and Jubilee (Hellcat).
    Cho actually hasn't been involved much in civil war 2, yet. The last two issue were labeled as civil war tie-ins, but the first one was about him and his sister, She-Hulk and Rick Jones taking care of a sick Bruce some time before the CW 2 events. The second one is about Carol bringing a bunch of super heroes and a division of SHIELD guys to his house to check on him following what happened to Bruce (nothing really happens, he proves he's still in control of the Hulk).
    Amadeus is starting to experience the dark side of the Hulk, however. There's a violent monster inside his head which he was unaware of until recently - the Enchantress managed to bring it out of him briefly, and he had some episodes of blacking out while the Hulk was in charge.

There are three X-Men team titles running now. Extraordinary X-Men has Storm, Iceman, Jean Grey, Magik, Colossus, Night Crawler, Forge, Old Logan and some of the younger ones/students have had a prominent role in a couple issues: Glob Herman, Anole, No-Girl and Ernst.

Uncanny X-Men is Magneto, Sabretooth (still being good), Psylocke, M/Monet, Archangel

All-New X-Men is the teenaged originals Cyclops, Beast, Iceman, Angel (still cosmic powered), Laura/Wolverine, Idie and Evan/Genesis.

The main group of X-Men/mutants, led by Storm, are in a place called X-Haven. It is located in the Limbo dimension that Magik can access, where they are safe from the terrigen and M-pox spreading on earth. Magik uses her powers and spells to keep them in a protective bubble separate from the monsters and scary stuff in Limbo. She also teleports them back and forth to earth when they need to, or if they are bringing more mutants to safety.

The All-New X-Men are traveling around in a VW bus trying to experience the world and having adventures.

Uncanny X-Men are basically X-Force, led by Magneto. They're hunting threats to mutants and refusing to go hide in X-Haven.

The most recent story line from this summer, to coincide with the Apocalypse movie, had some time-travel shenanigans and a new "Age of Apocalypse" future world, as well as being sent into ancient Egypt and meeting apocalypse as a teenager.

Old Man Logan has his own series, which is pretty cool actually, as well as being with Storm's crew. I think this takes place prior to and partly concurrent with Extraordinary X-Men. And Extraordinary takes place before All-New Wolverine and Civil War.

I think All-New Wolverine is probably happening after All-New X-Men, since it wouldn't make sense otherwise. Wolverine has tie-ins with Civil War, All-New X-Men does not, at least not so far.

24. - Top - End - #54

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudd View Post
    ...Colossus, Night Crawler...
    Woah, they are still around? I could have sworn they of all people were 'dead for real'. At least I'm pretty sure they weren't around last time I was looking into X-Men comics...

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Woah, they are still around? I could have sworn they of all people were 'dead for real'. At least I'm pretty sure they weren't around last time I was looking into X-Men comics...
    Yep, not dead. Nightcrawler's return from the afterlife was told in the first arc of "Amazing X-Men" from a couple years ago, and he had his own solo title for 12 issues or so around that time, too. Colossus was sort of an unseen hermit for a bit, after A vs X, then he was in X-Force around 2013-2015 and was a regular in a couple arcs of Amazing X-Men, as well.

26. - Top - End - #56

I really might have to look into those then, I do like me some fuzzy blue elf.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

http://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/6455625.html#cutid1
    Well, Marvel has somehow bad control on trying to be morally ambigious conflicts. Even Ms. marvel (other than ignoring about their slavery and eugenics) is guilty of this, but though towards more negligence and priority than outright tyrant.
    They haven't learned from Civil War at all, worse, even the cosmic heroes are in there compared to their focus on more pressing matters.
    I keep wondering how WH40k, how grimdark it is, managed to do registration (Codex Astartes) better. I mean if the closest thing was an almost skirmish between Imperial Fists and Ultramarine over implementation.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

28. - Top - End - #58

One point I find kind of interesting:

Spoiler
    Show
    With Ulysses latest flashforward, we see Miles pointed as a hero-killer.

That means the Champions will consistent of Cyclops (who has the burden of future!Cyke's reputation), Miles (who has the prediction of killing another hero), Viv (who is the granddaughter of Ultron), and Amadeus Cho (who is a Hulk, and will be viewed suspiciously for that).

At least two-thirds of the Champions are going to be viewed by civillians in-universe as possible villains, for reasons that are unfair and unsubstantiated. That's neat, and I hope is an actual plot thing.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

One point I find kind of interesting:

Spoiler
    Show
    With Ulysses latest flashforward, we see Miles pointed as a hero-killer.

That means the Champions will consistent of Cyclops (who has the burden of future!Cyke's reputation), Miles (who has the prediction of killing another hero), Viv (who is the granddaughter of Ultron), and Amadeus Cho (who is a Hulk, and will be viewed suspiciously for that).

At least two-thirds of the Champions are going to be viewed by civillians in-universe as possible villains, for reasons that are unfair and unsubstantiated. That's neat, and I hope is an actual plot thing.
    Well, I have headcanon that
    Spoiler: Headcanon
    Show
    It was Thanos influence all along with him getting himself deliberately captured to screw other heroes with mind control, aid from other beings, or some Tzeentch/Xanatos/Deceiver/Seldon plot. Maybe Captain Marvel's irrationality might be explained away with that excuse
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Okay, am I going to rant about Civil War II? I think I am

Spoiler
    Show

So, it's better than Civil War I, but that's not saying much.

The general conflict is actually pretty interesting, IF Captain Marvel and Iron Man were sitting around Avengers tower debating it like reasonable human beings, rather than punching each other.

So, my biggest beef is how Captain Marvel and CO have been HANDLING the predictions. The first Prediction is Thanos attacking, which they use to defeat Thanos.

Then you get Tony Stark being irrationally angry "IF YOU HADN'T FOLLOWED THE PREDICTION, RHODEY MIGHT BE ALIVE!" vs the far more reasonable "IF WE HADN'T FOLLOWED THE PREDICTION, THANOS MAY HAVE DESTROYED THE WORLD!". Thanos is an Extreme Case. Knowing that Thanos was about to show up allowed them to gather an Army to fight him, because that's the proportionate response to "Thanos May Show Up".

The Problem, and the bit that pushes Carol Danvers from "Reasonable Person who wants to use this potentially powerful tool" to "Irrational Villain for Tony Stark to be reasonable at", is how the Predictions are used SINCE That point. They treat just about EVERY predicted incident like a Thanos-Incursion.

Step 1: Ulysses has a Vision that Character A is going to do Bad Thing!

Step 2: Captain Marvel shows up with a hit squad of Other Superheros/SHIELD Agents to stop Character A from doing Bad Thing.

Step 3: Character A Says "HEY! HOW DARE YOU ACCUSE ME OF DOING BAD THING! HOW DARE YOU BRING THIS SUPERPOWERED HIT SQUAD!"

Step 4: Problems Happen, because Captain Marvel showed up with a Hit Squad.

Look at the whole Hulk Incident. They think The Hulk might come to New York and kill the Superheroes. So, rather than saying "Huh, We better look into this, and work to prevent it", they say "Huh, we better BRING ALL THE SUPERHEROES TO THE HULK"

The Debate is "Should we use this Super Accurate Predictions vs Ignore Them Because Reasons", instead of "What's the SMART way to use these super-accurate predictions?" Because they need to have superheroes punching each other.
    [/Center]