New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 55 FirstFirst 123456789101112132853 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: The Dragon Empire IC, Part III

Edmund stares at the counter in surprise as his glaive crashes into it. The sudden wave of energy had thrown his strike off balance. Did I just summon ki again? I need to speak with Ronaldo - I need to be able to control this.

The hyena takes advantage of his confusion with a vicious bite, but thankfully the bleached leg bone hanging at his waist moves on its own to absorb some of the blow. He moves to kick the beast away, but it vanishes before his boot can make contact.

He looks up as the guard enters. Slowly he lifts his glaive and drives it point first into the wooden floorboards. The sharp metal digs deep and the long weapon stands, quivering, next to him. He ignores the guard for the moment, turning his back and reaching into the webs to pull Azrin free.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Defending Bone (DR 5/Bludgeoning) should help out with some of the the hyena's bite, so Ed takes 5 damage, right?

I don't really know what check you'd use to pull someone free from the webs, but I'm hoping a CMB check should do it. Let me know if you'd like a different roll RW.

Ed CMB: (1d20+8)[23]

Once Azrin is free and back on his feet, he turns back to the guard. "We'll stand down. We've no quarrel with the guard. Just make sure you bring in the witch and the thugs that attacked us unprovoked."
    Last edited by H. Von Studley; 2016-09-15 at 05:01 PM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by H. Von Studley View Post
    Ed looks up as the guard enters. Slowly he lifts his glaive and drives it point first into the wooden floorboards. The sharp metal digs deep and the long weapon stands, quivering, next to him. He ignores the guard for the moment, turning his back and reaching into the webs to pull Azrin free.
    "My utmost thanks, Sir! I was completely surprised by her treachery - it all happened so fast! Let's hurry after her to sort this out - first, though, let me collect my menagerie, here."

Botticelli "stands up", with a little help from Azrin, who goes around behind the counter to see where Grommit went.

Show
    If there's no sign of the lizard, like he went under the floorboards or something, Azrin will just cast CLW on himself, for (1d8+5)[7] hp back. If the lizard IS there, let me know if it's in a spot to be grabbed, etc. I'm assuming combat would still be officially continuing for Azrin at that point.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground

River waits for the other guard to come to him, and then begins pulling his weapons out. He unties the pouch of shuriken from his belt, unstraps a hidden dagger from his thigh beneath the loose folds of his monastic robes, then pulls out the handaxe from his pack and hands them over to the guard. "Beware the witch," River says, nodding to Fortuna, "She may not have weapons, but she need only speak to summon beasts or other magic."
    Spoiler: Playing as...
    Show

Spoiler: GM of...
    Show
    WAKING NIGHTMARES (Page Link) (Map Link)

4. - Top - End - #64

DwarfFighterGuy

Olivin looks at Hindrick, then back at River. "You want my weapons? Sure. But don't fall for the 'hired guard" trick. I was out here buying food when these thugs showed up, and all the merchants seemed to be afraid of them. Then suddenly they were attacking people in the store. I can't let random thugs terrorize people." Olivin shakes his head, he hands over his two whips.

Show
    I don't think Hindrick and Olivin have met yet? It was Robert that was helping with their our interaction. Unless I am mistaken.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Show
    Correct, only River has really had the full Hindrick experience.

"Easy now," says the guard at the door as Azrin begins to step away. "No sudden movements, you must turn over that rifl- wh-" the guard pauses as he begins to pull Edmund's glaive out of the floorboards. He sees something in the webs. "By the gods, man. Are you alive? We have someone down in here!" he calls to the other guards outside, having spotted the dead thug within the webbing.

"I will watch them, go see what he's found," the other guard outside orders Hindrick as he confiscates everyone's weapons, the thugs included, and stores them in a pack.

Hindrick struts past Olivin and River, entering the store. The other guard is attempting to cut through the webs, but they reattach as soon as he does. Then they suddenly wither away and dissipate into nothing. The thug from inside the store is lying in the middle of the room in a pool of his own blood. Hindrick hurries over to check the man for a pulse. "They've killed the poor bastard!" Hindrick exclaims.

"Both of you, on the ground now, with your hands behind your back," the guardsman orders Edmund and Azrin.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by RandomWombat View Post
    "Easy now," says the guard at the door as Azrin begins to step away. "No sudden movements, you must turn over that rifl- wh-" the guard pauses as he begins to pull Edmund's glaive out of the floorboards.

"They've killed the poor bastard!" Hindrick exclaims.

"Both of you, on the ground now, with your hands behind your back," the guardsman orders Edmund and Azrin.
    Azrin, for once, does not surrender the musket. He shakes his head. He is very bloodied himself, looking like the mauling-victim he is. "I'm sorry, Sir, but no. This woman and her thugs attacked me, and my fellow officers defended me. Unlike you, who don't seem to have noticed me. Imagine! Arresting a half-dead mugging victim. Be a good public servant and fetch a doctor, howabouts. Or if you're disarming people at least bind and gag her so she can't use her evil magic. Whose hyena did she say it was, again?" he asks, pointing down at his own bite-marks.

Show
    Azrin readies an action to cast his own Web on Fortuna if she makes any motion to run or cast a spell.

7. - Top - End - #67

DwarfFighterGuy

Olivin pokes his head in the door to see what the commotion is, "Look a that poor little Gnome, he has been mauled by some type of monster!" He pulls his head out of the door and looks at the women, "I thought I heard you claim a few moments ago that they summoned it? Not what it looks like to me."

He turns to the guard that remained outside and smiles. "I have not been here in your city very long, but it sure seems like a lively place. Do you always have this much action going on? These poor merchants all seemed to disappear real quick, like this was no surprise. Something they have seen before. Are there gang problems around here?"

8. - Top - End - #68

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Archemist View Post
    Azrin, for once, does not surrender the musket. He shakes his head. He is very bloodied himself, looking like the mauling-victim he is. "I'm sorry, Sir, but no. This woman and her thugs attacked me, and my fellow officers defended me. Unlike you, who don't seem to have noticed me. Imagine! Arresting a half-dead mugging victim. Be a good public servant and fetch a doctor, howabouts. Or if you're disarming people at least bind and gag her so she can't use her evil magic. Whose hyena did she say it was, again?" he asks, pointing down at his own bite-marks.

Show
    Azrin readies an action to cast his own Web on Fortuna if she makes any motion to run or cast a spell.
    "Listen, I don't know what's happening, but there is a dead man here!" the guardsman rebuts forcefully. "We can sort out this mess in questioning at the nearest guard post."

"You resisting arrest?" Hindrick asks, standing from his position next to the dead thug.

Quote Originally Posted by brandnewb View Post
    Olivin pokes his head in the door to see what the commotion is, "Look a that poor little Gnome, he has been mauled by some type of monster!" He pulls his head out of the door and looks at the women, "I thought I heard you claim a few moments ago that they summoned it? Not what it looks like to me."

He turns to the guard that remained outside and smiles. "I have not been here in your city very long, but it sure seems like a lively place. Do you always have this much action going on? These poor merchants all seemed to disappear real quick, like this was no surprise. Something they have seen before. Are there gang problems around here?"
    Fortuna gently holds up her hands and speaks to the guard outside, "I don't know why their beast would turn on them. I am a spellcaster - I make no effort to hide that, it's how I make my living. As an offer of good faith I can use the rest of my power for the day healing that gnome."

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

"Listen, I don't know what's happening, but there is a dead man here!" the guardsman rebuts forcefully. "We can sort out this mess in questioning at the nearest guard post."

"You resisting arrest?" Hindrick asks, standing from his position next to the dead thug.

Fortuna gently holds up her hands and speaks to the guard outside, "I don't know why their beast would turn on them. I am a spellcaster - I make no effort to hide that, it's how I make my living. As an offer of good faith I can use the rest of my power for the day healing that gnome."
    "Last things first: No way am I letting her cast spells on me, not after what she pulled in there. Second, am I seriously under arrest? I'll come along to the guard post peacefully because I would like to file charges against her. Let's go, then.

"My musket hasn't been fired and won't be unless she takes any step closer to me."

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Edmund nods. He holds his hands out at his sides, away from his body, but makes no effort to get on the ground, instead standing firm next to Azrin. He ignores Hindrick, speaking calmly and firmly to the other guard.

"Like I said. They attacked us and we acted in self-defence. The dead man tried to cave in my friend's skull while his back was turned. Now we'll all go with you peacefully to discuss this and get everything sorted. You have my word that we will cooperate. But my men and I are innocent here. We will go with you, but we will not be led through the streets in chains.

"I suggest you send for Guard Captain Lorey. She knows us. Now what's your name?"
    Last edited by H. Von Studley; 2016-09-19 at 05:48 AM.

11. - Top - End - #71

River follows along with Ed's lead, staying silent for now, and not surrendering to the restraints unless his captain does. He keeps a close eye on Fortuna, watching for unusual gestures or incantations.
    This will all get sorted out during questioning...
    Spoiler: Playing as...
    Show

Spoiler: GM of...
    Show
    WAKING NIGHTMARES (Page Link) (Map Link)

12. - Top - End - #72

BlueKnightGuy

"You all need to start cooperating," the inside guard answers, moving to bar the entrance. "I am Guardsman Kenneth. And I don't care who you are or who you know, a man is dead and someone needs to face trial for it."

The guard outside speaks up, "There have been complaints of gangs in this area, Ken. I think we should cuff these other people just in case, until we sort it out."

"Bull! This woman is clearly a victim of these murderers and thieves," Hindrick shouts.

"Shut up Hindrick," the guard blocking the door spits in frustration. Hindrick's face turns red and he clams up.

"This seems a little crass, but I'll cooperate."

During the standoff and argument, Grommit takes the chance to scurry out from under the counter and towards the door.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

"Bull! This woman is clearly a victim of these murderers and thieves," Hindrick shouts.

"Shut up Hindrick," the guard blocking the door spits in frustration. Hindrick's face turns red and he clams up.

"This seems a little crass, but I'll cooperate."

During the standoff and argument, Grommit takes the chance to scurry out from under the counter and towards the door.
    Show
    I swear, Hindrick has "Detect Alignment", always on, and is just deliberately a jerk to anybody on the Good spectrum.

Azrin says, "As I said, I will happily come along, too."

Then he spies the lizard. "The evil sorceress will be wanting her familiar, I imagine."
    "The words are all around but the words are only sounds, and no one ever seems to listen.
    Instead, they'll say, 'How could we have known?'" - Jack Johnson
    Currently playing as:
    Polina, Goliath Drakewarden
    And a Heroforge link for her:
    Polina Gibson

14. - Top - End - #74

DwarfFighterGuy

"I have already handed over me whips. I am cooperating." he gestures at the thugs. "It would not be good guardin' unless you arrest everyone. The courts can sort out who the real criminals are. But you might just be letting them go if you don't nab everyone." Olivin looks at one of the thugs outside with him and states. "I do know the merchants were all afraid of these guys, and then a fight started in the store. You don't find your local merchants afraid of the hired guard. That make any sense?"

Olivin turns to the thug he kept tripping with a wink. "Got 'ur feet under you now? You where 'aving a terrible time of it. You should try sailing, might learn you how to stand. Nothing like a rocking deck to learn a man to stand."

Olivin grins with a sailors swagger, and readies a trip attempt if the thug tries to rush him.
    Last edited by brandnewb; 2016-09-19 at 08:37 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75

BlueKnightGuy

Show
    I swear, Hindrick has "Detect Alignment", always on, and is just deliberately a jerk to anybody on the Good spectrum.

Azrin says, "As I said, I will happily come along, too."

Then he spies the lizard. "The evil sorceress will be wanting her familiar, I imagine."
    "I will be needing your gun, and you will need to wear these manacles," in his free hand the guard takes out a pair of cuffs.

"Those too while you're at it," Hindrick points to Ed and Azrin's other weapons.

Grommit runs over to Fortuna, who scoops him up. "Of course I'm not about to leave my familiar."

"I have already handed over me whips. I am cooperating." he gestures at the thugs. "It would not be good guardin' unless you arrest everyone. The courts can sort out who the real criminals are. But you might just be letting them go if you don't nab everyone." Olivin looks at one of the thugs outside with him and states. "I do know the merchants were all afraid of these guys, and then a fight started in the store. You don't find your local merchants afraid of the hired guard. That make any sense?"

Olivin turns to the thug he kept tripping with a wink. "Got 'ur feet under you now? You where 'aving a terrible time of it. You should try sailing, might learn you how to stand. Nothing like a rocking deck to learn a man to stand."

Olivin grins with a sailors swagger, and readies a trip attempt if the thug tries to rush him.
    The thug spits on the ground at Olivin's feet and holds his arms forward, allowing the guardsman to cuff him.

"Are you saying you aren't involved with this bunch?" the guard asks Olivin, nodding towards Edmund and Azrin as he cuffs the thugs and Fortuna.

The fourth guard comes back out of the alley, panting. "The elf got away. Is the situation under control?"

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Edmund frowns, but finally relents, realising the situation isn't going to be resolved easily. He carefully stows his other weapons in his pack, then hands the whole bag across to Kenneth. "We are cooperating. Do not lose that bag."

He steps back and holds out his hands to be cuffed. "Let's go. But you'd still better call Lorey. Trust me, she'll want to know what's going on."

17. - Top - End - #77

DwarfFighterGuy

Olivin shrugs, "Can you trust what a suspect says anyway? If I was with them and wanted to get away I would say I was not. Might as well cuff me too." Olivin smiles. "I don't think you are going to get any trouble."

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

"I will be needing your gun, and you will need to wear these manacles," in his free hand the guard takes out a pair of cuffs.
    Azrin looks from the Captain to Olivin... and shakes his head once more. "Fine. The important thing is that she's been apprehended, too. Don't turn your back on her, even so," Azrin warns Kenneth about Fortuna. Azrin hands over his musket now, since that seems to be the way things are going. "What have things come to in this city, when the guards have no sense of justice. I may have some words for the Dragon Emperor himself next time I see him."

He allows himself to be cuffed. "Let's go and 'sort this out down at the station' then, and quickly. A man may be dead but I think you'll pretty readily be able to file this one under 'self-defense'. Though you might need a new category for 'evil shopkeeper conspiring with thugs to attack her own customer unprovoked'."

Edited to add: By way of a little further explanation, Azrin adds, "I'm sorry - you may have noticed her literal spiderweb in there, in which she trapped me. I'm not keen on being helpless around her once more."
    Last edited by Archemist; 2016-09-20 at 01:38 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by H. Von Studley View Post
    Edmund frowns, but finally relents, realising the situation isn't going to be resolved easily. He carefully stows his other weapons in his pack, then hands the whole bag across to Kenneth. "We are cooperating. Do not lose that bag."

He steps back and holds out his hands to be cuffed. "Let's go. But you'd still better call Lorey. Trust me, she'll want to know what's going on."
    Kenneth takes the bag. "I would appreciate it if you stopped telling me how to do my job," he snaps, lugging the weapons outside.

Olivin shrugs, "Can you trust what a suspect says anyway? If I was with them and wanted to get away I would say I was not. Might as well cuff me too." Olivin smiles. "I don't think you are going to get any trouble."
    "Just seeing what you have to say. If you're willing to come in and help us clarify the situation, then so be it. Thank you for your cooperation," the outside guard puts the cuffs on Olivin. "I apologize for this if you really are just a bystander who came to help. This whole situation is a mess. My name is Greg."

Azrin looks from the Captain to Olivin... and shakes his head once more. "Fine. The important thing is that she's been apprehended, too. Don't turn your back on her, even so," Azrin warns Kenneth about Fortuna. Azrin hands over his musket now, since that seems to be the way things are going. "What have things come to in this city, when the guards have no sense of justice. I may have some words for the Dragon Emperor himself next time I see him."

He allows himself to be cuffed. "Let's go and 'sort this out down at the station' then, and quickly. A man may be dead but I think you'll pretty readily be able to file this one under 'self-defense'. Though you might need a new category for 'evil shopkeeper conspiring with thugs to attack her own customer unprovoked'."

Edited to add: By way of a little further explanation, Azrin adds, "I'm sorry - you may have noticed her literal spiderweb in there, in which she trapped me. I'm not keen on being helpless around her once more."
    "Things have come to me doing my damn job. A brawl in the marketplace with a man dead, and you expect to be treated like VIPs," Kenneth shakes his head in frustrated disbelief. "Hindrick, leave the body, try not to disturb the scene any further. Ma'am, may I have your keys to lock up the store?"

"Of course," Fortuna slowly takes out her keys and turns them over. Kenneth locks the door behind all of them and returns the keys afterwards.

The guards gather the group in the middle of their formation, taking them down the street of the market district. At one of the intersections, there is a guard post on the corner. It is small for the large group, but they are all led inside. The main room has several wooden chairs and a wooden desk at the far end. Three doors lead off of the main room.

"I will speak with everyone individually in questioning. The rest of you will wait your turn to speak your piece. Hindrick and Kenneth, guard the door. Greg, keep an eye on everyone else," the officer who'd been patrolling with Hindrick takes charge. "I will speak with you first since you seem very vocal," he gestures to Azrin. "My name is Orville. This way please." He opens one of the side doors. It leads to a room with a wooden table and one chair on either side.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

"I will speak with everyone individually in questioning. The rest of you will wait your turn to speak your piece. Hindrick and Kenneth, guard the door. Greg, keep an eye on everyone else," the officer who'd been patrolling with Hindrick takes charge. "I will speak with you first since you seem very vocal," he gestures to Azrin. "My name is Orville. This way please." He opens one of the side doors. It leads to a room with a wooden table and one chair on either side.
    "That's right, a 'vocal' gnome. Glad to see you're a guard who's not afraid to resort to stereotypes.

"My name is Azrin Bluestone and I am a sailor with the Emperor's new Navy. I may not be a VIP but I deserve a bit better than a common criminal. Are you interested in finding out what happened or are you just going to jump to conclusions like your pal Hindrick?"

21. - Top - End - #81

BlueKnightGuy

Alone in the small room with Azrin, Orville sits across the table. He sets his helm on the table and rubs his temples. "Look, I don't know what the other guards said to get you all riled up, but I just want to figure out what's happening so this day can be over. Babysitting Hindrick is the absolute worst shift." He lowers his hands from his head and rests them on the table. "Start at the beginning and tell me how things played out."
    Last edited by RandomWombat; 2016-09-22 at 05:40 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Alone in the small room with Azrin, Orville sits across the table. He sets his helm on the table and rubs his temples. "Look, I don't know what the other guards said to get you all riled up, but I just want to figure out what's happening so this day can be over. Babysitting Hindrick is the absolute worst shift." He lowers his hands from his head and rests them on the table. "Start at the beginning and tell me how things played out."
    "Fine." Azrin calms himself with some effort. "You don't deserve that. I apologize."

"It started this afternoon when my shipmates (the upstanding-looking fellow is the Captain of the Northeastern Fog, and the more burly two are able sailors on said ship (which I helped design at the Emperor's request))" - Azrin takes a breath and continues, "...when my shipmates came by my house and said they had received a tip that Fortuna was secretly a witch who was part of a kidnapping ring."

Azrin judges for a reponse, and adds, "We decided to check out her shop and gauge her ourselves; I was getting the impression she was entirely aboveboard up until the moment she surprised us with a Web spell and attacked us. She had two or three thugs helping her, and she summoned a demonic-looking hyena which mauled me, as you can plainly see. My Captain, in defending me, struck down one of the thugs. Fortuna escaped out the door of her shop, which is about when you found us."

"I would gladly repeat all of the above while under a truth-spell, if you'd like, and/or sign my name to a statement."

Spoiler: OOC - Sense Motive
    Show
    Azrin may pause midway if he's getting any sort of bad vibes from Orville at all upon the first reveal. Sense motive: (1d20+5)[7]

23. - Top - End - #83

BlueKnightGuy

Orville listens to the explanation with a level expression. His brow creases at the mention of a kidnapping ring, but he looks down at Azrin's leg more closely when he mentions the hyena attack. "Do you require medical attention for that bite before we continue? I know enough first aid to bandage it for you."

Whatever Azrin's reply, the conversation continues either during the bandaging or without. "There was an elf in the alley that attacked this woman as she left. He fled the scene when the confrontation with the guard started. Do you know that elf?"

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Orville listens to the explanation with a level expression. His brow creases at the mention of a kidnapping ring, but he looks down at Azrin's leg more closely when he mentions the hyena attack. "Do you require medical attention for that bite before we continue? I know enough first aid to bandage it for you."

Whatever Azrin's reply, the conversation continues either during the bandaging or without. "There was an elf in the alley that attacked this woman as she left. He fled the scene when the confrontation with the guard started. Do you know that elf?"
    "Sure, I'd appreciate a bandage." Azrin frowns at the mention of the elf. "To say I 'know' the elf would be putting it rather strongly - I'd never seen him before today. I believe he was the one who'd tipped off Captain Grimace, though."

25. - Top - End - #85

BlueKnightGuy

"Thank you for cooperating," the guardsman says as he cleans the wounds and wraps fresh bandages around the bites. "Is there anything else I should know about?"

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

"Thank you for cooperating," the guardsman says as he cleans the wounds and wraps fresh bandages around the bites. "Is there anything else I should know about?"
    "I don't know how she knew we were investigating her; I also don't know what other evidence the elf may have. Other than that, I can't think of anything. You should definitely confirm whatever you like of this with the others, though I don't recommend questioning Fortuna by yourself. I wouldn't put her past trying some charm spell or other."

27. - Top - End - #87

BlueKnightGuy

"Alright," Orville finishes with the bandages and stands back up, opening the door for Azrin. "You can take a seat. I'll talk to you next." He points to one of the two surviving thugs, who stands and joins him in the interrogation room.

Kenneth is standing inside the door, with Hindrick wisely left to guard the outside where he can't cause trouble. Greg walks up and down the room, eyeing everyone seated there.

The party has some time to discuss amongst themselves if they wish, though privacy is not guaranteed. That can be handled alongside the next questioning for expediency.

The thug exits the room after a few minutes and Orville points to Edmund. "You're next." Inside, Edmund is sat down at the table and the guard introduces himself, "Before we get started, I'm Orville. You are?"
    Last edited by RandomWombat; 2016-10-04 at 01:16 AM.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

While the group waits, Edmund turns to Azrin. "Everything go alright in there? This Orville fellow seems reasonable enough."

Once it's his turn to be interviewed, Ed follows behind the guard into the room. He eyes the man steadily for a moment and then extends his hand. "Captain Edmund Grimace, of His Majesty's ship, the Northeastern Fog. Sorry to meet under these circumstances. I understand Azrin has explained the situation to you?"

29. - Top - End - #89

BlueKnightGuy

The guard shakes Edmund's hand. He remains professional and explains, "I'll need to hear your side of the story, Mr. Grimace, to make certain it matches up. Please go over what happened from the beginning."

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Edmund nods. "Of course." He sits down at the table and begins to speak, his voice measured and objective.

"My crew and I are on shore leave from our most recent mission abroad. We have a decent relationship with the city guard here in Stalling due to ties between former guards and crew members and our role aiding in the capture of a group of conspirators against the Emperor. We got wind of a kidnapping ring here in Stalling and decided to investigate the rumours to determine if they'd be worth formally bringing to the attention of the Guard.

"We had heard that Fortuna's shop was a front for the kidnappings and decided to check it out ourselves. My crew and I were browsing, trying to get a read on her, when an armed man entered the store and two more took up positions outside. We were hesitant, but didn't want to start any trouble so we continued browsing.

"Then, out of nowhere, they leaped into action. Fortuna summoned a hyena, from the lower planes if I'm not mistaken, and the armed man clubbed River over the back of the head. They caught us completely by surprise - River and Azrin were both seriously hurt.

"We all turned and fought back against our attackers. As they had jumped straight to lethal force and were threatening the lives of my crew, I drew my glaive and cut the thug across the backs of his knees, attempting to hobble him and keep him from continuing the fight. He dropped, but before any of us could attempt to stabilise him, Fortuna summoned the webs, trapping myself, Azrin and River. She then fled the store, screaming for the guard.

"By the time I freed myself from the webs, Fortuna's man had bled out on the floor and Azrin had been viciously mauled by the fiend. I attempted to fight it off, but the magic binding it to this plane ended before I could land a killing blow. It was at that point that you all entered and we surrendered ourselves into your custody for questioning."

Ed takes and breath and leans back, signalling the end of the report.

"I understand that you have a job to do here, but believe me, this will warrant the attention of your superiors. I would suggest that you send a runner for Guard Captain Lorey immediately. She'll be able to fill in the blanks regarding our previous dealings with the Stalling Guard. I said as much to your man Kenneth, but he was dismissive of the idea. In his defense though, it was a pretty unusual situation to be caught up in."