New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40k Fluff Discussion XII - DIS FINGY GOT NO SQUIGZ IN IT!

Thanks Wraith that was very helpful. They haven't released too much information yet I see. The Fall of Cadia book should give me a bit more information, guess i have to drop $84 on it.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky S View Post
    Thanks Wraith that was very helpful. They haven't released too much information yet I see. The Fall of Cadia book should give me a bit more information, guess i have to drop $84 on it.
    That's just it. Nobody has any information because the book isn't out yet. I don't know what you thought the answer was going to be.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

3. - Top - End - #423
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    That's just it. Nobody has any information because the book isn't out yet. I don't know what you thought the answer was going to be.
    I got ahead of myself, I thought there was already a novel released on the subject.
    Lillien Lemmerin:http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=111721

Member of the Mr Scruffy fan club

4. - Top - End - #424
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky S View Post
    I got ahead of myself, I thought there was already a novel released on the subject.
    Traitor's Hate/Angel's Blade, have the Black Crusade stamp on them, and I'm pretty sure that that's meant to mean that they tie into...Well...The Black Crusade (which I assume they mean the 13th...Not, say...The 1st). Except reading the last couple of pages of TH/AB, I can't see anything that directly and/or obviously ties into Fall of Cadia. The only thing I can think of, is that maybe a couple of characters on the Chaos side might show up on Cadia from TH/AB with some liberal uses of time dilation shenanigans, though I doubt it. However, during The 13th, Ka'bandha is supposed to come out of the Warp, piggy back onto Hive Fleet Leviathan and murder him some Blood Angels...Which I kind of hope that's what The Banshee Stone/Daemon Cage was for.

...Though I doubt it. However, TH/AB does mention the Pandorax campaign at least once. So maybe GW/BL does know what continuity is.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

5. - Top - End - #425
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

40K's timeline advancing past 999.999.M41? Now that's some HERESY right there.

*BLAM*
    Honestly it makes me nervous because it's pointing to the fall of the Imperium, and we saw what happened with Fantasy when they did the End Times.

...Which gave us 9th Age, so maybe it'd be for the best.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Honestly it makes me nervous because it's pointing to the fall of the Imperium, and we saw what happened with Fantasy when they did the End Times.

...Which gave us 9th Age, so maybe it'd be for the best.
    Disregard whatever you think about the Age of Sigmar rules or fluff; AoS has caused more sales of GW Fantasy miniatures in the last couple of years, than I've ever heard of in probably over a decade. Frankly, the success of AoS probably (which I'm saying as a layman, with no insight at all into GW internal policy) saved their Fantasy range entirely; had it continued as it was, or even managed only a small increase, I've very little doubt that the range would have been discontinued, as the sheer scale and investment on such a small return couldn't have been sustainable.
    That's the bottom line to GW's bottom line - sales. If they thought a revised 40k timeline would do the same for their sci-fi range, when the sales for 40k are already their biggest cash cow, they'd be mad not to try. They're a business - they need to make money. And the benefit of trying it with 40k, is that if people don't like it then they can very, very easily transition to 30k - there wasn't an official alternative to AoS and it ultimately worked out okay.

That being said, I think there are some non-awful ways in which they 40k timeline could develop, and a lot of it (according to the little crayon-drawn picture that I have in my head) relies on the break up of the Imperium into smaller sub-factions.

Let's assume that the "big reveal" of 8th edition is the return of the Primarchs - it makes about as much sense as anything else, as the new Magnus model has proven that GW are wanting Primarchs to transcend the 30k/40k barrier. What does that mean for the Imperium?
    Essentially, it'd be the end of the Astartes' subservience to the High Lords of Terra. Not that they are particularly shackled to each other at the moment of course, but against the words and legitimacy of, say... Rogal Dorn (sans one of his hands, perhaps) there wouldn't be a single Imperial Fists successor who'd take the word of the High Lords over His.... and I'd bet that his view of what the Imperium should be, differs very greatly from theirs and how it currently is.

There'd be some Astartes who would try to maintain good relationships with Humanity - that'd be the reason as to why you could continue to ally, in game, with the Mechanicus and Inquisitorial factions - but most would probably return to Legion-like behaviour beneath their Primarch, each of whom has their own new agenda. That means conflict between the Ecclesiarchy/Administratum and the majority of the Astartes with the Mechanicum and the Inquisition caught in the middle, with the Imperial Guard being mostly pro-Humanity but with enough regiments owing debts of honour to their realm (like Ultramar) to also "defect" to Primarch rule.

I think that'd be pretty fun. The Astartes would still fight for the Imperium against Xenos and Heretics, but would themselves be allowed to exaggerate their inherent differences so that the 15+ flavours of Space Marine are no longer so similar on the table. It'd also justify conflict with other Imperial forces to break up the huge and unwieldy "Imperium Faction" wedge which has caused so much strife for those players who cannot call upon 6 or 7 other Battle Brothers with which to build their lists.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

7. - Top - End - #427
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Essentially, it'd be the end of the Astartes' subservience to the High Lords of Terra. Not that they are particularly shackled to each other at the moment of course, but against the words and legitimacy of, say... Rogal Dorn (sans one of his hands, perhaps) there wouldn't be a single Imperial Fists successor who'd take the word of the High Lords over His.... and I'd bet that his view of what the Imperium should be, differs very greatly from theirs and how it currently is.
    Let me tell you about one dude; Lord Commander (read; Warmaster) Koorland, The Last Son of Dorn.
    Let me tell you about another dude; Chapter Master Maximus Thane.

Imperial Fists led The Reformation, and were the the deciding factor during the Siege of Terra during the Age of Apostasy. There was no Primarch around when Imperial Fists decided that High Lords needed executing. As far as I'm concerned (after having read War of the Beast) is that the High Lords rule the Imperium right up until Space Marines (specifically, the Imperial Fists, whose mission statement involves making sure Terra doesn't implode on itself) are no longer willing to put up with the High Lords' BS. War of the Beast is not subtle when they say that the only reason the High Lords exist, is because Space Marines let them. Because Space Marines actually have better things to do than worry about politicking - like actually defending the Imperium. If Space Marines have to turn around and punch a High Lord in the head - with or without a Primarch - they'll do it.

but most would probably return to Legion-like behaviour beneath their Primarch, each of whom has their own new agenda.
    Strongly disagree. The Imperium the Primarchs left, would not be the same one they come back to. We've already seen Vulkan come back to M32 Imperium, and he didn't do **** (though I'd put that down to Gav Thorpe being terrible). Of course, Vulkan doesn't want command of the Imperium anyway - and he says as much. Mostly it'd be toss up between Guilliman, Dorn and The Lion. And the 'fight' would go roughly the same as it did the first time; Guilliman rallies all his dudes, threatens to fire at the undermanned Imperial Fists (especially given that Phalanx is currently on an unknown trajectory, speeding away from 9 Companies of Imperial Fists, and under siege by Be'lakor), and Guilliman puts himself in charge by threatening civil war if he doesn't get to be in charge - just like some other dude.

That means conflict between the Ecclesiarchy/Administratum
    Any given Primarch murders the Ecclesiarch, and removes executive power from the position. Just like what's already happened once before. The Emperor is just a man.

I think that'd be pretty fun.
    I think it'd be a rehash of the Horus Heresy, and completely unoriginal.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2017-01-08 at 09:45 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

8. - Top - End - #428
    Titan in the Playground

Imperial Fists led The Reformation, and were the the deciding factor during the Siege of Terra during the Age of Apostasy. There was no Primarch around when Imperial Fists decided that High Lords needed executing. As far as I'm concerned (after having read War of the Beast) is that the High Lords rule the Imperium right up until Space Marines (specifically, the Imperial Fists, whose mission statement involves making sure Terra doesn't implode on itself) are no longer willing to put up with the High Lords' BS. War of the Beast is not subtle when they say that the only reason the High Lords exist, is because Space Marines let them. Because Space Marines actually have better things to do than worry about politicking - like actually defending the Imperium. If Space Marines have to turn around and punch a High Lord in the head - with or without a Primarch - they'll do it.
    Really dont make much sense though, if they are able to do this. Space Marines are still just a single cog in the machinery. Their numbers are vanishingly small compared to the imperial army. And they dont have a navy that could handle a clash with the imperial navy. Or for that matter their own titans to deal with large scale engagements. If a writer insinuated that the High Lords were mainly in charge because they were allowed to, then in would say said writer is bad.

I think that'd be pretty fun. The Astartes would still fight for the Imperium against Xenos and Heretics, but would themselves be allowed to exaggerate their inherent differences so that the 15+ flavours of Space Marine are no longer so similar on the table. It'd also justify conflict with other Imperial forces to break up the huge and unwieldy "Imperium Faction" wedge which has caused so much strife for those players who cannot call upon 6 or 7 other Battle Brothers with which to build their lists.
    I do agree on that a couple of fragments breaking off the imperium might improve things a lot. As it is then it feels like its current position is to dominant. Almost everything is centering around what goes on within it. As also seen by this conversation, where the only factions we have been talking about for moving the timeline forward is the imperium.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

9. - Top - End - #429
    Titan in the Playground

That's got a lot to do with the GW mandate of 'no books with non-Imperial protagonists except maybe Chaos sometimes.'
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

10. - Top - End - #430
    Titan in the Playground

That's got a lot to do with the GW mandate of 'no books with non-Imperial protagonists except maybe Chaos sometimes.'
    Please dont say thats an actual rule.. i dont need more reason to hate the morons at the GW lore department more than i already do..

11. - Top - End - #431
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    Apocalypse War Zone: Valedor? As far as I know it didn't involve the Imperium or Chaos at all. Granted, it's a single example out of many, many others that follow the Imperial/Chaos formula.

If you meant novels, though, I can see why that is. They're trying to sell novels, and if you can't sympathize with the protagonist at least a little bit, the novel won't sell. Imagine trying to tell a story from the Tyranid or Dark Eldar point of view, for instance. The first doesn't even have thoughts as we would define them and is on a relentless drive to eat everything; there isn't much potential for story there. The second... I don't know, maybe it's just me, but it seems to me that it's really hard to sympathize with a protagonist whose main goal will inevitably be seeking to kidnap and torture people for fun, as much as he or she possibly can, without a hint of remorse. Pre-retcon Necrons are fairly indistinguishable from Tyranids on the storytelling front, being just a flavor variation of the "mindlessly scour all life" theme.

Eldar, Tau, and to a lesser extent Orks (though they suffer much the same problems as the Dark Eldar, except having the redeeming benefit of being entertaining about it) could all have POV stories without much problem, but I get the sense that Black Library has decided that human POV stories are safer investments than alien ones.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

12. - Top - End - #432
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Simple fact of the matter is that everyone (Yes, even You!) owns some sort of marines in one form or another. Writing books about the good guys that everyone has the models of (because they're in every starter set) means that you've already got an "in" with your audience to a certain degree. Like it or not, the setting hinges on the Imperium and the role that the marines have in maintaining it. If you're not part of the Imperium, you exist only as the main protagonist (Chaos), a secondary threat that waxes and wanes in power ('Crons, 'Nids, Orks, DE) or a sometimes ally/oftentimes foe (Eldar, Tau). There's no ifs ands or buts about it, the setting exists to tell the story of the Imperium, it's right there in the front of every black library book you've ever bought in the last forever.

13. - Top - End - #433
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    The second... I don't know, maybe it's just me, but it seems to me that it's really hard to sympathize with a protagonist whose main goal will inevitably be seeking to kidnap and torture people for fun, as much as he or she possibly can, without a hint of remorse. Pre-retcon Necrons are fairly indistinguishable from Tyranids on the storytelling front, being just a flavor variation of the "mindlessly scour all life" theme.
    I love malus darkblade from fantasy. It could be done in SPACE!
    Thanks a lot Gengy for the awesome... just a sec... avatar. :)

14. - Top - End - #434
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thethird View Post
    I love malus darkblade from fantasy. It could be done in SPACE!
    I'll comment that the Night Lords are probably not too far from the Dark Eldar, and those books are really good.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Titan in the Playground

Eldar, Tau, and to a lesser extent Orks (though they suffer much the same problems as the Dark Eldar, except having the redeeming benefit of being entertaining about it) could all have POV stories without much problem, but I get the sense that Black Library has decided that human POV stories are safer investments than alien ones.
    Yeah.. its like GW has desided its safer to ignore a whole segment of their market who are hungering for stories about the factions they play and care about...
    In other words, typical of GW

I can follow you in how it might be a bit hard to write stories about either Tyranids or deamons, but there really isnt any excuse for the lack of tales about Orks, Necrons, Tau, or Eldar.

Simple fact of the matter is that everyone (Yes, even You!) owns some sort of marines in one form or another. Writing books about the good guys that everyone has the models of (because they're in every starter set) means that you've already got an "in" with your audience to a certain degree. Like it or not, the setting hinges on the Imperium and the role that the marines have in maintaining it. If you're not part of the Imperium, you exist only as the main protagonist (Chaos), a secondary threat that waxes and wanes in power ('Crons, 'Nids, Orks, DE) or a sometimes ally/oftentimes foe (Eldar, Tau). There's no ifs ands or buts about it, the setting exists to tell the story of the Imperium, it's right there in the front of every black library book you've ever bought in the last forever.
    No.. i dont have a single model in power armor. And i have newer owned one. The closest thing i have are Striking Scorpions, since they have a 3+ save and a chainsword.
    But its not even like its correct to call the Imperium the good guys. To be honest in a lot of cases they are not even the lesser evil.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    Imagine trying to tell a story from the [...] Dark Eldar point of view, for instance. [...] I don't know, maybe it's just me, but it seems to me that it's really hard to sympathize with a protagonist whose main goal will inevitably be seeking to kidnap and torture people for fun, as much as he or she possibly can, without a hint of remorse.
    I don't know, I really did enjoy Andy Chambers' Path of the Renegade series.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    I don't know, I really did enjoy Andy Chambers' Path of the Renegade series.
    I knew there was a Deldar book! Now are there any actual books about Eldar? Cuz i cant think of any off hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

18. - Top - End - #438
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    I knew there was a Deldar book! Now are there any actual books about Eldar? Cuz i cant think of any off hand.
    The Path of the Seer, Path of the Warrior and Path of the Outcast books are about Craftworld Eldar.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    The Path of the Seer, Path of the Warrior and Path of the Outcast books are about Craftworld Eldar.
    I personally found them pretty good reads for the most part (though, after reading both, I think I enjoyed the Dark Eldar books a little bit more), but, then again, I am an Eldar player, so what do I know?
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

20. - Top - End - #440
    Troll in the Playground

Of the Path of the Eldar series I've only read Outcast, which I found enjoyable enough, but my brother recommends the other two.

Path of the Dark Eldar I am very fond of. It's not Night Lords or Word Bearers good, but it's still a very neat series that delves quite highly into the Dark Eldar, and made me desperately wish Malixian the Mad had tabletop rules.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

21. - Top - End - #441
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    Of the Path of the Eldar series I've only read Outcast, which I found enjoyable enough, but my brother recommends the other two.
    The first two delve deeper into the workings of life on a Craftworld, as well as going into more detail on the Paths of the Warrior and Seer (duh ), whilst the third one is definitely the 'outlier' of the three, exploring more the parts of Eldar civilization away from either of the two main factions.

Either way, they do tie together rather nicely, and there is a sense of progression as you move through the trilogy, so each book does bring you closer to the actual end.

Additionally, there's also a short story... I can't remember the name, but I believe it's in one of the Space Marine anthologies, that takes the point of view of the Marines in path of the Outcast that cross paths with Aradryan's crew, as well as a second one (well, actually a first one) that gives more background on the Marines. It's off topic, but tangentially related.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    No.. i dont have a single model in power armor. And i have newer owned one. The closest thing i have are Striking Scorpions, since they have a 3+ save and a chainsword.
    But its not even like its correct to call the Imperium the good guys. To be honest in a lot of cases they are not even the lesser evil.
    Shush you, filthy xeno lovers don't count.

23. - Top - End - #443
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drasius View Post
    ...so, everyone has models in power armour, except that the armies who don't have power armour don't count?

(Except Daemons and non-marines Imperium.)

24. - Top - End - #444
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    ...so, everyone has models in power armour, except that the armies who don't have power armour don't count?

(Except Daemons and non-marines Imperium.)
    I am deeply impressed by anyone who doesn't own a single model in power armor. I stopped playing for almost twenty years, got rid of my armies and yet still, somehow, managed to have models in power armor

And I didn't even play marines before that!
    Last edited by Brookshw; 2017-01-08 at 05:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

25. - Top - End - #445
    Titan in the Playground

I am deeply impressed by anyone who doesn't own a single model in power armor. I stopped playing for almost twenty years, got rid of my armies and yet still, somehow, managed to have models in power armor
    I started with Eldars, and Marines newer said me anything due to how GW constantly tries to push them into our faces..

So.. your saying i should take my filthy, xeno currency somewhere else..?
    Or that GW is suffering from the delusion that my filthy cash is going to be spend on Ultrasmurf biografies instead of more pointy helms, if they dont write any books about fx Phoenix lords doing radical stuff, like beating primarchs and monsters?

26. - Top - End - #446
    Titan in the Playground

Didnt at least one Pheonix Lord book come out last year? The majority of books are imperial-centric sure but certainly not ALL of them

27. - Top - End - #447
    Titan in the Playground

Really? If GW actually wrote an entire book centering around one of the Phoenix Lords. Then ill take back at least ½ of what i said about them.

28. - Top - End - #448
    Titan in the Playground

29. - Top - End - #449
    Titan in the Playground

Ah crud, they actually really wrote an entire book about Asurmen?
    Well, fair is fair. Cant expect much more than that, being a much smaller demographic than the Imperial players.

Or at least used to, dont know how it is now

30. - Top - End - #450
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    I'll also tell you that it's actually pretty good. Asurmen is the only Phoenix Lord I like, and it helps that his book doesn't suck.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome