New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1500
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Peril & Fame 2: Belhaim

Cassandra

Pulling upon Cyril's reins and giving him a quiet word of command, Cassandra turned her mount around and slowly rode back toward the voice. "Good day!" the druidess greeted the leader cheerfully. "I am Cassandra Vallas, and these are my companions, Yandeath Hammerhead and Margot Boulanger. We have urgent business to the west, and wish to rest in Sauerton for the night. We mean no harm." Keeping her visible and resting upon her horse's neck, she spoke calmly, hoping the strangers meant no harm.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Diplomacy, go! (1d20+21)[30]
    Many thanks to Ceika for the Custom Avatar!

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Troll in the Playground

Sauerton

The lead rider, a young woman with a square jaw and damp brown hair, continued approaching at a slower gait, considerably more at ease. "What's out west for you? Olfden? Oregent? Nothing urgent happens in Olfden."

"And what in the Hells is that thing? It's scaring the oxen." She pointed to the cauldron.

Castle Vallas

"Turel, Sir Elias and his companions, along with my daughter, slew a full-grown green dragon that beset Belhaim in the south," Said Tybalt, clearly familiar enough with the other Duke use his given name.

"Triumphant!" Turel clapped Elias on the shoulder. "That's no small feat. You must regale us at dinner. But I think it must have been a relation of yours that I knew. Must have been involved in ... timber? Shipping? Is there much magical talent in your family, sir?"

"Are you from Minkai? Or has your family lived in Avistan for a while? There are rather a lot of transplants living in Oppara." Elizabeth continued to make conversation with a frown, growing visibly upset that Kiyoko had nothing interesting to say and hadn't laughed at her story. "I'd hoped you had been there recently. I'd be elated to hear news of the Empress."
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2017-03-15 at 08:20 PM.

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Ettin in the Playground

Cassandra

"That is a large mobile cauldron that serves as Margot's transportation and (I assume) her crockery. I really have not asked her more than that, as it seemed fairly self-explanatory, if a bit odd. We are bound for Darkmoon Vale," elaborated the druidess. "We are four days from Bellis, where a strange fog enveloped the town and a small group of spriggans attacked. We were assaulted by Spriggans just before reaching Bellis as well, and encountered more of them in the company of worgs, kelpies, and redcaps while on an errand for Master Elyin Ursage of Bellis. I have more news, but..." she paused, looking the young woman in the eye and lowering her voice, "Perhaps the rest should wait until we are in town and can speak with your Mayor, if we might be granted an audience? Tercio Andares, if I got his name right from Ursage."

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Troll in the Playground

Sauerton

"Oh, no, sorry, miss, but the People's Assembly is in session now and Andares is our representative as well as our mayor. That's pretty common here in the north," the young woman drawled. While Cassandra hadn't said she was nobility, and the woman was unlikely to know the weight her name carried outside of Taldor, she'd apparently gleaned that the druid was someone important from her accent. Her brow furled and she wrinkled her nose as if she'd smelled something unpleasant. "Surely you don't mean you're going in to the Vale. Falcon's Hollow got moved to the south side of the river, few years back. It's not in the Vale proper anymore. On account of the Fey killing people."

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Ettin in the Playground

Cassandra

"I am afraid that is the very purpose of my errand to the Vale," replied Cassandra. "Is there anyone who acts in the Mayor's stead while he is away? And what was that about the Fey killing people? This may be more widespread than I thought."

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Troll in the Playground

Sauerton

"It happens all the time, doesn't it?" The man who'd dismounted to water the horses from a canteen nodded matter-of-factly. "They killed the Gavel and a bunch of hardened mercenaries few years back. That seemed to scare most folks away and Codwin said they couldn't use the land no more. But nothing pays like like logging used to and boys are getting angry that farming's such poor work. So our new Supreme Elect says logging in the Vale is back on. It's been bloody. Folks go in to the Vale to try and take back what's theirs, but the faeries aren't having none of it. You go into that woods and you're dead women. Dead dwarf too."

"If you want to speak to someone in charge, the Deputy Mayor is in. Just ask for directions once you get to town." The woman looked around, anxious to return to work.
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2017-03-15 at 09:21 PM.

7. - Top - End - #1027
    Ettin in the Playground

Cassandra

"Thank you both for the information." Cassandra nodded to both of them and brought Cyril back around pointed to the town. "We shall seek out your Deputy Mayor. May your travels be safe." With that, she dug in her heels and prompted her mount to continue on.

8. - Top - End - #1028
    Ettin in the Playground

Kiyoko

"I am from Minkai, yes, and new to Avistan. I left before Amatatsu took power, however." Kiyoko sighed, frustrated by the turn of events. She'd hoped to arrive, have a nice meal, collect a reward, and be on her way. Instead there were a cavalcade of Opparan entanglements that she knew very little about and had very little interest in. Worse yet, the Super Guests demanded entertainment that she was ill-equipped to provide without offending someone in the room. She ultimately gave up and bluntly asked, "How is it that you know the Empress?"
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

9. - Top - End - #1029
    Ettin in the Playground

Elias

Smiling as he received further praise, Elias still coughed awkwardly.

"Yes, well, so long as Sir Lysander does not mind enduring our tales a second time."

His smile faltered as Lord Meresin began to speculate on his family name, until he finally interjected.

"Perhaps you knew my late father Claudius Apion, my lord. He was much involved in Oppara's merchant trade. It is from my mother's bloodline that I inherited the Gift, though. She was an instructor at Kitharodian Academy. Alas, she disappeared at sea with my father more than a year ago."

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

10. - Top - End - #1030
    Firbolg in the Playground

Hammerhead

Hammerhead followed nonchalantly behind Cassandra as she entered town, secure in his decision to let her do the talking with the armed militia.
    Everything dissolves into blue.

11. - Top - End - #1031
    Ettin in the Playground

Cassandra

Cassandra rejoined her companions after her discussion with Sauerton's Deputy Mayor. She felt annoyed and impatient, and cursed the man's shortsightedness under her breath. "I have the distinct feeling that man would be just as happy to see the Fey slain and their woods laid to waste, after the useful lumber was extracted, of course. Little thought for their homes," she huffed. "So typical. Even my own family...well, we need not bother with them." She tightened the strap holding her saddlebags to Cyril a little too tightly, eliciting a snort, the horse seemingly sharing Cassandra's feeling of irritation.

"I did obtain some useful information, however," she said after a moment. "It seems some of the Fey in the area have been luring villagers into the woods with the villagers subsequently disappearing. Some man by the name of Kreed has been leading pogroms against the fey, which I am sure has only inflamed the situation. The mayor is likely lumping all Fey together - the way some of them might to do us, mind you - or he may know nothing more than what he has heard. Leaving aside for the moment those who we have met (or fought) the last few days, I have known Fey of varying temperaments and motives. I have no doubt that there are troublemakers in the mix, but there are sure to be peaceable Fey as well, wishing only to be left in peace." Cassandra looked at both Yandeath and Margot as if weighing something in her mind. "The further we go, the more dangerous it is likely to become, but I feel that if I can do any good in an attempt to diffuse the situation, I must continue. To that end, I propose we change our destination to the Silver Isle, another useful bit of information the Deputy Mayor shared. Apparently there is - or at least was - an embassy of sorts five years ago. I have something in my possession that may gain us entrance, perhaps even an audience with their Prince."

"I want to give you both the chance to change course if you will, though I suspect that at least you, Yandeath, wish to continue. We have an agreement, after all, though I would not blame you if you wish to depart. My words are mainly to you, Margot. I do not know your motivations, but you have helped us this far, and I would be glad of your continuing company."

12. - Top - End - #1032

Hammerhead

As Cassandra shared her thoughts about the mayor, Hammerhead gave a rather resigned shrug.

"It's the same with people in charge wherever you go, Cassandra. All they're concerned with is how they can get the problem out of their backyard, no caring about whether it's actually solved. Nah, they're happy to leave that to the pawns."

He twirled Last Word and then nodded to her, a firm look on his face.

"In any case, you already know I won't leave you. Where you're going, there's gonna be a lot of nasty folk, of all species, and you'll need someone to help you break their heads. And for that, you need the best - so count me in."

Looking up to the sky, Hammerhead took in a deep breath.

"You know one thing I like about above-ground life? The sun. Lot of dwarves aren't so keen on the thing, but when it's out and blazing, and you can feel it shining down and warming you through to the bones? There's nothing like that below ground."
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2017-03-18 at 07:23 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Troll in the Playground

Castle Vallas

"May I borrow you, Miss Chapman?" Valere appeared at her shoulder quite suddenly. "The pastry chef is inquiring about dietary concerns and wine pairings. I said I recalled you had a strawberry allergy but now I can't remember if it's strawberries or blueberries and ... well he refuses to touch the trifle until he hears it from you."

He gestured towards the kitchen and added a hopeful smile.

"Dietary concerns?" Elizabeth momentarily glanced towards Ellarie before returning her attention to Kiyoko. "Thank goodness. I thought you might be a vegetarian." She apparently thought it funny that the six-foot-tall red eyed woman in armor might abstain from meat. "I don't know the Empress. I'm not quite so well connected. But as I said, there are rather a lot of transplants in Oppara and many of them are reluctant to speak openly about this Amatatsu. I'm made to understand that she was the sole legitimate claimant to the Jade Throne, but her sitting there hasn't set well with many -- particularly the oni. I find the whole affair fascinating. I hoped you had an illuminating perspective on this as a ... I believe the term is kiga no tane?"

Lysander, who stood near his father, shook his head eagerly at Elias' supposition. "Of course not. And you shouldn't be shy about it. Killing a dragon is something you're allowed to brag about!"

"Claudius Apion. Yes," said Turel. "I recall your family was treated rather unscrupulously by the Crimson Ring. The Apion name was all over a ledger I acquired. I had wondered what became of them after their financial woes."

"His Grace has absorbed much of the Crimson Ring's legitimate assets. It's been quite the formidable endeavor." Mikael added from some distance away as he hadn't managed to shoulder his way in to the conversation.

A tiny frown formed at the corner of Turel's mouth. Perhaps he thought it an impolite topic, though he didn't want to deny his own business acumen. "Luck, more than anything. I just happened to have the capital at the time."
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2017-03-18 at 02:01 AM.

14. - Top - End - #1034
    Ogre in the Playground

Margot sat atop Crocker, patiently eating a baguette while Cassandra went to speak with the mayor. Beignet slept curled up against a wall of the cauldron, and Miette hid beneath Margot's seat nibbling on his toes. When Cassandra came back Margot smiled and waved. "Ah... I am, as you might say, a leaf in the wind. I have no home to return to and I don't know where I'm going yet." Her usual smile faded. "I'm sure you've heard something of the political turmoil in Galt, yes? Well after one of the previous council leaders was outed as a hag there was a rash of witch hunts. My great great grandmother was a hag supposedly, not that I inherited any of her looks." She offered a weak smile. "It was a bit of a town legend. They burned down my home. My husband died in the fire trying to get my son and I out. We've been running since."

Spoiler: rolls
    Show

bluff

(1d20+11)[24]

some of this isn't true :P
    Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.

15. - Top - End - #1035
    Ogre in the Playground

Ellarie

Her head swiveled as she was surprised by Valere's approach. Her eyes went wide as she stared at him for a moment. Even if she wasn't exactly the easiest mark anymore, she suddenly felt very much like a vulnerable, unarmed woman. She blinked as she recognized her own fear mirrored in his own eyes and she managed a small smile that mostly failed to dispel the worry in her face.

"I would hate to hold up dessert."
    She said in concession as she spied the servants milling about the hallway and relaxed a small bit. Doubtless he did not wish to be alone with her as much as she feared being alone with him. She followed his lead with one glance back at Kiyoko and Elias, hoping they had noticed her new circumstances.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    BIG thank you to Gengy for my fabulous avatar! ღ
    #Notallinfluencers

16. - Top - End - #1036
    Ettin in the Playground

Kiyoko

"No one really calls it that anymore, but yes." Kiyoko smiled. "If you want a minority opinion on Jade Empress Amatatsu, you've come to the right place. I could probably spend the whole evening talking about it, but..." she looked around, "Forgive me, celebrations at this level of the nobility in Minkai are very formal, rigidly structured affairs, and the few events I've been to in Avistan are sometimes described as analogous to a... 'hootenanny?' I don't know how much time remains before we are all seated to eat, and would hate to give you half a story. That's the only thing worse than no story at all."

17. - Top - End - #1037
    Troll in the Playground

Castle Vallas

Elizabeth snorted daintily at the use of 'hootenanny'. Nearby, Turel slowly exhaled and the side of his lip curled for a half second.

"In Taldor we like to serve our guests an appetizing, lightly sweet alcoholic drink and force them to make awkward chitchat with strangers. Eventually you'll be seated, only to be teased with canapes and soup for an hour until the real food arrives." Elizabeth pouted, plucked the melon ball from her drink and nearly swallowed it whole. For a fleeting moment she glanced towards their hostess and looked very nearly embarrassed, but still pleased with herself at the same time. She began retreating to the corner and lowered her voice.

"You'll fit right in with high Taldan society, Kiyoko. You have all the attributes a woman needs to succeed in the Empire. You're young and pretty. Having accomplished that, you can say and do whatever you like and still be held in the highest regard. So, you're certainly free to speak your mind about Minkai and her new Empress. Most of these people couldn't locate your homeland on a map even if it resembled perky breasts."

Meanwhile, down the hall, Valere took Ellarie's arm and attempted to draw her into an alcove occupied with a nearly life-sized portrait of Cassandra. He whispered, "First of all: oooow!" He mouthed the word dramatically and stared daggers at Ellarie for a second. "I won't hold my breath for an apology, but right now I have so much more to worry about. You and your friends are something suspiciously close to heroes. I honestly don't have anyone else to turn to. Taldor is in grave danger and I ..."

He looked away, rolled his eyes and sighed before returning to her countenance. "And as cosmically unfair as this is, you are the only ones who may be able to save it."

Carpenden, Augustine Estate

A bit of investigation revealed that Lady Viola Augustine, an alleged fey expert, resided near the city center in a handsome four-story townhouse at the quiet end of a lane. A nearby signpost named the lane "Augustine", so the party felt confident they've arrived at the right place. Rapping on the door resulted in a long wait, followed by a bored greeting by a pretty young woman in a modest brown dress with lace up to her throat.

"Yes, good afternoon. How may I help you?"
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2017-03-19 at 01:01 AM.

18. - Top - End - #1038
    Ettin in the Playground

Kiyoko

Seeing Elizabeth be so irreverent did convince Kiyoko to relax and absorb the party. "What a shame. Minkai has much to offer. Moreso under the new management, truly." She paused for a moment and nodded to herself, deciding where to start. "The first thing to know of the Oni is that they do not hold any unified opinions, save one - they would all tell you that life is wasted on mortals. Their desire for experience without limit and ever greater amounts of vice and stimulation would make them fine adherents of... Zon Kuthon, I think? An Oni Zon Kuthite will never happen, though, because becoming one requires a the corruption of a Kami that has chafed too long under its divinely mandated restrictions or the rebirth of a mortal so irreverent as to spit into the face of heaven. Either way, no Oni would ever serve a deity, and certainly not a foreign one." It was surprising how easily the talk came to her, but Kiyoko had been blessed with an abundance of time to think about this while on her last mission for the Five Storms.

"Nor would their first desire be to serve another, but they can be compelled into something resembling a hierarchy - or at least a gang - by a sufficiently powerful Oni. Of course, once you have an Oni with Big Plans, they need mortal dupes, pawns, cats-paws, associates, opportunistic traitors, corrupted mind-slaves, and good old fashioned criminals to actually bring those plans together - because for all their hate of divine mandate, some laws are magical and real and cannot be casually tossed aside, at least in Tian Xia." Her usual smirk returned. "And that is most likely the source of displeasure for your... Opparan expatriates. The Five Storms were not the entirety of the Oni of Tian Xia, but they comprised the largest, best funded, best organized, and most entrenched group of them, and quite a few Minkaians were happy to have their patronage while those around them suffered for it."

Kiyoko shrugged, "their grousing will not turn into real action unless drastic changes occur. To have defeated Soto Takahiro and dear old Grandfather, Ameiko must have put together a coalition involving most of the nation's armies, its samurai elites, most of the socioeconomic strata, and she probably hired some ninja clans for good measure. As it turns out, supernatural hedonists make great corrupters and infiltrators but mediocre generals and worse autocrats. I imagine the vast majority of Minkai is quite happy with Amatatsu and the return of tax levels that they can pay without having to decide which of their children must die this winter. She might have even recruited the dragon living in the Imperial Vault. Plus she'd have total command of the Jade Throne, which Takahiro - you would know him as the Jade Regent - never quite managed. I'm sure what scattered Oni remain are unhappy about it, but they will content themselves with their personal vendettas and entertainments until they are put down by either the Empire, an adventurer, or a rival."

19. - Top - End - #1039
    Ettin in the Playground

Cassandra

Cassandra approached the building, hoping for an audience and even more for useful information. She wore one of her sets of finer clothing, having changed out of the worn traveling set she'd got used to recently. A few minutes with her beauty supplies left her feeling refreshed and revitalized. "Good day to you." Cassandra flashed a bright smile in greeting as the door opened, followed by a deferential nod. This was Andoran, not Taldor after all. "I seek Lady Viola Augustine on a matter of some urgency involving Fey matters, and I hoped she could spare me a few minutes of her time."

Show
    Diplomacy, go! (1d20+21)[28]

20. - Top - End - #1040
    Ogre in the Playground

Ellarie

Her face quickly went from alarm to guilt back to alarm as Valere spoke. She poked her head from the alcove he had pushed her into. Seeing nobody paying them any mind, she quickly placed a magical sound barrier around them for privacy.

"Back up a moment." Though she heard the urgency in his voice, she was determined to take the chance to do what she never though she would get the chance to do.

"I am sorry. I don't expect you to believe me, but I never dreamed she would actually kill you when I led you out to those woods. It doesn't excuse my part in it, I would only say that three thousand gold was more money than I had ever seen at that point and I was alone and desperate. So if I am being perfectly honest with you while you are here, I would say no it didn't stop me from becoming friends with her. She and Elias are my only friends in the whole world. I love them so much. I'm not a Count. I didn't have anything." Her voice wavered as she realized she was babbling incoherently. Her eyes started to water and she rubbed the tears that fell from her cheeks.

"Oh no my rouge."
    She lamented as she sniffled.

"Anyway, I am glad you're alive. I'm afraid I'm a rather poor excuse for a hero, but tell me what's going on. I will help save Taldor if I can. This is where I keep all my stuff."
    A small smile flit across her lips at her weak joke. Despite her emotional reaction to her unexpected reunion with Valere, she was intensely curious and was fairly certain Elias would be interested in saving Taldor if it was in real peril. Kiyoko on the other hand, might take some convincing. Ellarie suspected her Teifling friend would find seeing the world burn terribly amusing.
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    #Notallinfluencers

21. - Top - End - #1041

Hammerhead

*** In the past... ***

Spoiler: In the past...
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zabbarot View Post
    Margot sat atop Crocker, patiently eating a baguette while Cassandra went to speak with the mayor. Beignet slept curled up against a wall of the cauldron, and Miette hid beneath Margot's seat nibbling on his toes. When Cassandra came back Margot smiled and waved. "Ah... I am, as you might say, a leaf in the wind. I have no home to return to and I don't know where I'm going yet." Her usual smile faded. "I'm sure you've heard something of the political turmoil in Galt, yes? Well after one of the previous council leaders was outed as a hag there was a rash of witch hunts. My great great grandmother was a hag supposedly, not that I inherited any of her looks." She offered a weak smile. "It was a bit of a town legend. They burned down my home. My husband died in the fire trying to get my son and I out. We've been running since."

Spoiler: rolls
    Show

bluff

[roll0]

some of this isn't true :P

Show
    As Yandeath is incapable of rolling higher on Sense Motive than a 20, he falls for Margot's story hook, line, and sinker.

Hammerhead's face fell slightly as Margot told her story.

"I'm sorry for your loss, Margot. Even with our disagreements, I know I'd be sad if any of my family ha to sacrifice themselves in such a manner."
    He rubbed his hands. "I passed through Galt briefly, when I initially came out from the Five Kings. I will confess that what brief moments I saw of it I do not care to revisit."

*** Back in the present... ***

Having deigned to accompany Cassandra to the meeting, Hammerhead, lacking any traditional finery, had settled for buffing and polishing his armor to a mirror shine and combing his hair and beard as smoothly as possible. The Last Word was hefted upon his shoulder, and he kept his eyes forward, a professional look on his face.

22. - Top - End - #1042
    Troll in the Playground

Ellarie

Logaine sighed heavily and pointedly, but there was a echo of sympathy in his exasperation. After a moment of reflection he reached into his breast pocket and produced a handkerchief for Ellarie. "Well, don't ruin your makeup. I still need it. Unfortunately, they'll know I lied to get you alone, so I'm going to need you to rub some of your makeup onto my shirt collar. Better they think we're kissing than conspiring. It will give Elizabeth something to stew over during dinner anyway. Turel is so damned cold he'll assume the worst unless until his wife convinces him otherwise."

"I don't know if I can accept your apology yet, but I'll give it time."
    He smiled wryly in spite of the statement. "By way of contrition, allow me to divulge a secret of mine first. I want you to believe what I say after."

He glanced quickly up and down the hall once more before nearly pressing her to the wall. "I've spent years perfecting this posh Westcrown accent," he whispered. "I'm not even from Cheliax. I grew up on a farm outside of Oregent. We grew cotton. The real Logaine was a depressed man who shut himself away in his castle on the shores of the aptly named Lake Sorrow. He died years ago with no heir. Lucky for me he also never filed the paperwork to receive his father's title. So, I am the Count Valere in a strictly legal sense ... which is the only sense that matters in Cheliax, really."

23. - Top - End - #1043
    Ogre in the Playground

Ellarie

She took Valere's handkerchief and dabbed her eyes, careful to not disturb her makeup further. Her cheeks reddened as she though of Kiyoko and Elias thinking she had been making out with Valere. Until she could divulge to them otherwise.

"So Elizabeth and Turel are involved somehow?" She should have known from the looks of them. She suppressed a sigh, exasperated at her own trusting nature. She was still so eager to give the benefit of the doubt, even after everything. She hesitated and almost shyly held Valere to her for a moment as she rubbed her lips over his shirt collar until she was satisfied it was clearly visible.

"I think that will do."
    She pulled back what little she could in their alcove, her cheeks still more red than any rouge could make them. She listened to the man's revelation in amazement.

"I believe you." She looked up at him as she realized with some surprise that it was true.

"You're very convincing." Her lips curved into a smile until she remembered the whole saving Taldor thing.

"Tell me what we're facing and what I can do to help."
    She prepared to listen intently as some small part of her mind wondered of the events that had brought her here to this moment, potential savior of Taldor in the arms of a man she had help murder.
    #Notallinfluencers

24. - Top - End - #1044
    Troll in the Playground

Viola's House

The party was made to wait another ten minutes as the maid fetched her employer and explain the visitors. At length they were shown inside and directed towards the study on the right-hand side of the narrow house. Lady Viola was a woman of perhaps thirty with friendly blue eyes and dark brown hair which she kept pulled back in a simple ponytail. She was one of the rare people to look good in yellow with her truly beige skin tone. Her simple county dress was cut similarly to her maid's, though with a plunging neckline. She didn't rise, but gestured towards the two sofas and the refreshments waiting on the coffee table: iced tea garnished with lemon and wheat crackers topped with cream cheese, cold turkey, a bit more cream cheese and dot of cranberry preserves.

"Please sit. Enjoy yourselves. I haven't entertained in sometime and I believe I rather miss it." She smiled at Yandeath and asked, "You're not a Thranmurim, are you? There's a bit of a family resemblance."

Castle Vallas
    Ellarie

"Oh." Valere's breathing had become shallow. He seemed a bit lightheaded, or he'd unexpectedly enjoyed Ellarie pressing in close to kiss his collar. Likely he hadn't lied about his anemia. "Where do I even begin? Your friend Elias -- I know his parents were ruined financially by a consortium known as the Crimson Ring. Among his many sinister machinations, Turel has been pulling their Crimson Strings for years. Turel buried their competition until they were the only smuggling outfit in the city. They grew fat and now they've been slaughtered. Everything they built is his. He's bought all of their assets legally since he controls the magistrates."

"I know because I work for Turel. He's the one who sent me to Belhaim to steal that book from Hunclay. Azmur Kell hired me, yes, whose idea do you think arranged for him to find me in the first place? I'm their slave. I don't know why Elizabeth insists on keeping me around, but she does. She's the reason I'm not still in that shallow grave. Apart from dying that one time, I've made myself invaluable. It's why I'm at this castle. I'm ... working."

"When the Grand Prince dies, there will be a war. You know that. Turel is counting on it. He's turned people against the Princess. After the factions exhaust themselves and tear the country apart, Turel will make an attractive alternative to the current dynasty. Even if the nobles don't carry him on their shoulders through the streets to the coronation, he'll make so much money off of the war he might as well be king."

He looked dazed and began to shake his head slowly. "What does it matter who the new monarch is? Turel isn't not a good man. He's not even a man. People adore him for his philanthropy and charm, but he's a monster. I don't know what sort of fiend he truly is, but I do know what he's done to people, what he's done to me. If I give him occasion to doubt my loyalty, he'll kill me and he'll kill my family; and if I'm lucky, he'll do it in that order."

Castle Vallas
    Kiyoko

Elizabeth listened intently to her crash-course lecture on the Oni. At times she bit at her lip in a way that suggested she found the topic more than just engrossing. "I'm inclined to agree with the Oni, sadly. Humans are too short-lived and fragile to enjoy life. They suffer a little heart-break and they go all to pieces. Maybe they live to eighty and their heart fails them anyway, long after the rest of their body has. If you're very lucky, you get to be beautiful for a few years along the way." For a moment her eyes went distant and she touched at the corner of her eye. No wrinkles at all. Her skin was the sort of flawless that only magic could buy.

"I'll be turning thirty this year. Turel swears he'll buy me Sun Orchid Elixer for my fortieth birthday. He's been thirty and he says it's not so bad." There was a slight manic tone to her voice before she abruptly changed the subject. "There's a faction growing in Oppara. Something that's been there for a while, but has just become large enough to venture out of the shadows. Its servants are clever and are seldom captured when they run afoul of the law. One Minkaian woman they took in for burglary carried a katana. In another case, a throwing knife, a kunai, was recovered from an attempted assassination ... buried in a man's kidney. There is little to connect these incidences publicly, but when you have your finger on the city's golden pulse, you feel these things. The money is moving in predictable ways. If you're interested, I could pay you handsomely to investigate on our behalf. It would be a great service to Taldor as well."
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2017-03-20 at 01:40 AM.

25. - Top - End - #1045
    Ettin in the Playground

Cassandra

"Thank you so very much for agreeing to see us, Lady Viola." Cassandra lifted one of the glasses and took a few sips. "It feels much longer than it has been since I sat in a room such as this. My companions and I have spent much time in the wilderness or on the road these past few weeks. As I told your maid, my name is Lady Cassandra Vallas, of Castle Vallas which is located in the foothills of the Fog Peaks." After setting the glass back down, she smoothed out her clothing and paused as she gathered her thoughts. "My purpose in this visit relates to your knowledge of matters relating to the Fey, particularly those of Andoran. As I said, I am from Taldor, and while I have some passing familiarity with some of the Fey of Verduran Forest, it is not to the degree I should like. I have become aware of some sort of - well, uprising for lack of a better term - on the part of a number of Andoran's Fey inhabitants. My companion Yandeath here accompanied me from Belhaim where we had a part in destroying a dragon that was making trouble in those parts. I shall spare you the details, but this good dwarf's actions were rather valorous if I may say so."

She took another sip to wet her throat. "We encountered and repulsed a spriggan ambush not far from Bellis (where we also met Margot here), and when we reached the town we learned from one of their militia leaders there, a man named Elyin Ursage, that they had been assailed in similar manner. At Master Ursage's request, we sought out the Archdruid Devarre and brought him this news. He intended on leaving the next morning to contact Syntira, but asked us to seek out the location of a group of wardstones the purpose of which was to hold imprisoned in the Fellnight the Briar Queen called Rhoswen. Upon our arrival, we found a large force of spriggans and worgs encamped below the falls. Using my druidic talent of turning into an animal, I slipped by and investigated the wardstones. Unfortunately, a number of them had been removed and the passage to the Fellnight was open. I stepped inside for a few minutes, but decided not to tarry. Upon our return to our world, I returned to Master Devarre's cottage and found it burned down. I returned to my companions and we gave battle to the spriggans, routing them." Cassandra's next sip was followed by a troubled look. "The next morning we returned to Devarre's cottage once more to sift through the ashes. We brought news back to Bellis, where I attempted to scrye upon Master Devarre. Unfortunately, he is dead. We have taken it upon ourselves to complete his task, but along the way we have been met with news that it is difficult and dangerous to enter Darkmoon Vale. The Deputy Mayor of Sauerton reported further fey attacks in the area and suggested we seek out the Prince of the Silver Isle, and here I was pointed to you as one who has been there and might be able to offer us some insight and advice. I have a gift for the Prince, which I hope will get me inside, and perhaps even an audience."

Show
    Would like a sense motive check on her reaction to the news.

26. - Top - End - #1046
    Ogre in the Playground

Ellarie

Her eyes widened as Valere detailed Turel's role in ruining Elias's parents, though she was distracted by a growing concern for the Count's well being. He seemed rather dazed and short of breath.

"Are you feeling alright?" She placed her hand against the side of his face and wondered if anemia worsened in times of stress. Not being a healer, she didn't know, but she knew that he had previously been the lover of the innkeeper Talia. She couldn't imagine his discomfort was due to their forced proximity.

"If Turel was truly behind the Crimson Ring, then I'm afraid it's intensely personal."
    Her anxiety grew as she wondered if Elias might attack Turel in a rage if he found out his involvement. Could the three of them take on Turel? There was still too much about the man that she didn't know. Valere called him a monster.

"Can you tell me why you're here? What "job" they have you working on at the moment? Do you have any suggestions for us on how to proceed in foiling his plans?"
    She looked up at him as her hand still rested upon his cheek in an effort to soothe his distress.

"You have my belief and my willingness to try and help, but I'm afraid I'm not really the brains of the operation." Her expression turned to amusement as her lips quirked into a rueful smile.
    Last edited by PepperP.; 2017-03-20 at 03:25 PM.
    #Notallinfluencers

27. - Top - End - #1047
    Ettin in the Playground

Kiyoko

The Tian-Min woman's eyebrow shot up at the mention of Sun Orchid Elixir. Assuming that Elizabeth knew what she was talking about - and the context implied that she did - it meant that Turel's resources dwarfed that of even your 'average' noble. Takahiro had possessed the plunder of eighty years of aggressive tax malfeasance and the inherited treasures of the Minkaian Royal Families, and even then purchasing the life-extending beverage would have put a notable dent in his finances. More than that, though, the purchase of the Elixer wasn't a simple exchange of payment for goods: six doses were made each year and blind auctioned worldwide. The highest six bids got their elixir; the losers got to wait until the next year's auction and pay up anyway. This sale, in fact, formed the bulk of the small country's economy.

Which meant that either Turel Meresin had national-scale resources to play with already, or else was blowing smoke but had so much money that Elizabeth found it plausible. Either way, it proved that the Meresins certainly could pay enough to make a job worth her time. Kiyoko even had a standard of comparison for the new group in Oppara - the Frozen Shadows had started out almost the same way in Kalsgard, though much earlier and with the backing of the Five Storms. It did raise the question of why Turel or Elizabeth would care. The tiefling elected to come at that question sideways, though. "Good pay makes for a good incentive. I wonder, though, what it is you'd like me to find out that your sources haven't already told you? We might have some cultural roots in common, but I don't personally know every Minkaian - and those that recognize me as Oni-Spawn won't necessarily open their hearts and minds to me over it, even if they did enjoy certain benefits under Takahiro's rule."

28. - Top - End - #1048
    Troll in the Playground

Viola's House

"Stray?" Viola let out an unbecoming, sharp laugh. "What do you want to know about Stray? He's, um. Well. He's ... absolutely. I don't really know where to begin."

She made a token attempt to compose herself, but continued giggling. "If you're asking if two attractive women with gifts can buy a moment of his time, the answer is yes. Assuredly he'll speak with you. At you perhaps. Maybe not even in his true form. He loves to pontificate. I always thought he was fascinating, but many of my colleagues went so far as to call him annoying. The ones who were no fun themselves. If you're seeking his permission to enter the Vale, then that may be something entirely different. Queen Syntira's realm was recognized as sovereign territory until recently. Supreme Elect Druff and the new Assembly practically shredded the old treaty. As you know, the Fey are less than pleased. I think they have every right to protect themselves."

"I'm not really sure if I'm the one you should be asking about all this." She frowned sympathetically. "I lost my election, so I haven't been in contact with the Assembly this session. As for the Prince, well, I've known him to be melancholy, but last I heard, he's positively morose. I haven't seen him since last Autumn. He had always held the loveliest balls for the winter solstice. I was heartbroken when there were no invitations."

Kiyoko

"Well, Kiyoko," Elizabeth said, tapping her playfully on the breastplate, "I can't really trust any other Minkaian in the city. Any one of them might be working for the shadow already. Even if they aren't directly, they seem to be profiting from its existence. I'm reasonably sure you've never been to Oppara and I'm to understand you've spent the last few months traipsing around the forest killing dragons and bandits. I think you're worth a gamble."

Ellarie

The count huffed and raked a hand through his hair with a wan smile. "I'm fine, all things considered. I'm usually much better at these things, but here I am conspiring against the third richest man in the kingdom who's also a powerful sorcerer and probably some sort of devil wearing a skin suit."

"The reason I'm here," he explained, glaring sideways at the portrait of Cassandra, "Is to learn. Frankly, I'm to evaluate if Prince Tybalt will be of any use to us. Them. Or if his children might be convinced to not support the Princess in the coming war. I wish I could say that they're not in any danger, but ... Turel would find it advantageous if Alexander inherits the Duchy instead of his brother."

He hastened to add, "You can't act on that. Not here. Maybe you and your friends could take him in a fight. Maybe. But not in a place with so many people. Keep this from Elias. If you come to Oppara, I'll show you the proof that Turel manipulated the Crimson Ring. I really don't have much of a plan, I just ... I had to tell someone. I don't know if I can trust you, but I can at least be sure you don't already work for him and I know how strong you are."
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2017-03-20 at 08:12 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1049
    Ettin in the Playground

Cassandra

"I too believe the Fey have a right to protect themselves," agreed Cassandra. "Several years of my childhood were spent in the company of Fey, Lady Viola," she said gently. "You might say I have a vested interest in seeing the hostilities come to a peaceful resolution, for even though Andoran is not my home, what happens here may very well spill over into Taldor. And Taldor has troubles of its own, there is no secret about that. I am not convinced that the machinations of Rhoswen are a result of the troubles Andoran has been having with the Fey recently, though they may be tangentially related. I think perhaps that the evil Fey choose this moment to act whilst their non-evil counterparts have been engaged with these other important matters."

Cassandra sighed wearily. "I thought I had left politics behind when I left my father's castle. I must see this 'Stray,' as you call him. And then I must see Syntira, or at least bring word to her of Rhoswen's doings. If an Archdruid was cut down so easily, I dare not send others unless they be more capable than myself, though I have not yet been fully tested." The druidess' expression betrayed weary resignation for a long moment as she fell silent, considering what lay before her. Then it was gone, replaced with a smile. "I thank you for your time, my lady. If I am to see a Prince, I should like to make myself presentable. Perhaps you can give me the name of a dressmaker nearby with the skill and merchandise suitable to such an occasion. I could make something magical that would serve, but I much prefer the feel of good, quality clothing."

30. - Top - End - #1050

Hammerhead

Quote Originally Posted by Nefarion Xid View Post
    Viola's House

The party was made to wait another ten minutes as the maid fetched her employer and explain the visitors. At length they were shown inside and directed towards the study on the right-hand side of the narrow house. Lady Viola was a woman of perhaps thirty with friendly blue eyes and dark brown hair which she kept pulled back in a simple ponytail. She was one of the rare people to look good in yellow with her truly beige skin tone. Her simple county dress was cut similarly to her maid's, though with a plunging neckline. She didn't rise, but gestured towards the two sofas and the refreshments waiting on the coffee table: iced tea garnished with lemon and wheat crackers topped with cream cheese, cold turkey, a bit more cream cheese and dot of cranberry preserves.

"Please sit. Enjoy yourselves. I haven't entertained in sometime and I believe I rather miss it." She smiled at Yandeath and asked, "You're not a Thranmurim, are you? There's a bit of a family resemblance."
    Taking a bite of cold turkey, Hammerhead gulped it down as Viola addressed him before replying.

"I'm afraid not, milady. Can't say I remember any Thranmurims, although knowing the old family profession I suppose it's possible we might have done business with them at one point. I don't blame you, though - at some point we dwarves all kind of blend together."