New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Default Re: Dysfunctional Rules IX: 1d3 Dysfunctions from the 8th Level List

don't forget the dysfunction for page 139 of the rules compedium that defines spontaneous casters as casters who can cast ALL of thier known spells at any time using spell slots. meaning that beguilers, druids, and clerics are not spontaneous caster due to not being able to cast all thier spells known. (druids and clerics Know all thier spells at level 1 just can't cast them, same as beguilers).

2. - Top - End - #302
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by death390 View Post
    don't forget the dysfunction for page 139 of the rules compedium that defines spontaneous casters as casters who can cast ALL of thier known spells at any time using spell slots. meaning that beguilers, druids, and clerics are not spontaneous caster due to not being able to cast all thier spells known. (druids and clerics Know all thier spells at level 1 just can't cast them, same as beguilers).
    Actually, Clerics don't know their spells... they are Granted their spells. I think Druids are the same.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    You might as well call the favored soul lacking alignment restrictions at all dysfunctional. The core of their fluff is gaining divine power from some source for some reason: nowhere does it say their beliefs need to be in line with said source for it to be able to grant them power.

After all, evil gods and good characters can easily have overlapping enemies.
    Favored soul has alignment restrictions, and right where they should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Complete Divine
    A favored soul is often of the same alignment as her deity, though some are one step away. For example, a favored soul could serve a lawful good deity and be neutral good herself. A favored soul may not be neutral unless her deity is neutral.
    That is the same alignment restriction that cleric has.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

4. - Top - End - #304
    Banned

If a monk wears a Monk's Belt, her AC and unarmed damage are treated as a monk. Said monk is 5 levels higher than her.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    If a monk wears a Monk's Belt, her AC and unarmed damage are treated as a monk. Said monk is 5 levels higher than her.
    Yes, that's the reason the belt exists. I don't see what's wrong with that?
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

6. - Top - End - #306
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Yes, that's the reason the belt exists. I don't see what's wrong with that?
    Read the sentence very carefully. Her AC and unarmed damage, themselves, are treated as a monk. Not as the AC and unarmed damage thereof, but two of her bonuses are treated as a monk in their own right in accordance with the actual wording of the item.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ettin in the Playground

Read the sentence very carefully. Her AC and unarmed damage, themselves, are treated as a monk. Not as the AC and unarmed damage thereof, but two of her bonuses are treated as a monk in their own right in accordance with the actual wording of the item.
    Meaning, her AC and damage are presumably running around separate, punching things. Friendly reminder that grammar is used to make meaning clear, not deliberately misinterpreting a clear rule.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

8. - Top - End - #308
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    Meaning, her AC and damage are presumably running around separate, punching things. Friendly reminder that grammar is used to make meaning clear, not deliberately misinterpreting a clear rule.
    I mean, the intended meaning is clear, but it's clearly intended that monks be proficient with unarmed strikes, drowning not heal you, and and AC bonuses actually exist, but that's what this thread is for. There is no possible way that what the monk's belt actually says can mean what it's supposed to, as far as I can tell. There's no way to say "I am treated as a father five years older" and mean "I am treated as though my father was five years older than he is" either.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

That sounds like it only arises from a specific reading of the text.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    That sounds like it only arises from a specific reading of the text.
    Not really. "The wearer’s AC and unarmed damage is treated as a monk of five levels higher" actually cannot mean what they want it to mean, which is "The wearer’s AC and unarmed damage are treated as those of a monk of five levels higher". I cannot see a way of parsing that sentence where it means that. I can see a way to parse it that it means that they are given a light snack or reward, or "Treated", in the manner in which a monk of five levels higher would be. I can see a way to parse it where they are counted to be a monk in their own right, which is the intuitive reading. But I can't see a way where the sentence, as it is written, means what it's supposed to. I mean, I can see why it's written that way (They accidentally mashed up the ideas of "The wearer is treated as a monk of five levels higher for determining..." and "The wearer's AC and unarmed damage are treated as..." into a single sentence which doesn't mean the same thing), but as written it doesn't mean what it's meant to.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Titan in the Playground

It sounds like you're making the case that it's a typo. Which we also aren't counting as dysfunctional.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Banned

It sounds like you're making the case that it's a typo. Which we also aren't counting as dysfunctional.
    It's not a typo (A "typographical error", an error that results from a mistake of typing). "Share laser form" is a typo, 1d33 is a typo; an entire sentence which is written wrongly (such as the spell which causes objects to take damage to each creature or object they touch, or this monk's belt example) is beyond the scope of a typo - it's an error that could have been made just as easily while writing as it could be while typing, for a start. The first entry in this thread, for example, could have been that someone just forgot to put a word in. Maybe it wasn't. Maybe the possibility that someone might care about the distinction never occurred to them. But we don't actually know. I mean, you know, every dysfunction in the game could be because of typos, but we kinda have to assume that everything beyond simple letter substitution, letter omission or formatting error was typed the way that it was in the writer's mind.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, I agree.

Generally speaking, I'd say that things like "rule A when combined with rule B gives hilarious exception C" are fun to read about and a good example of what "dysfunctional" means; whereas things like "sentence A when taken entirely out of context can technically be taken to read the opposite of what it clearly means" are not.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain

14. - Top - End - #314
    Banned

Yes, I agree.

Generally speaking, I'd say that things like "rule A when combined with rule B gives hilarious exception C" are fun to read about and a good example of what "dysfunctional" means; whereas things like "sentence A when taken entirely out of context can technically be taken to read the opposite of what it clearly means" are not.
    Given that the sentence cannot mean what it is supposed to, it's an obvious dysfunction.

Also, by your logic, the dysfunctions in the handbook for Aasimar, Diopsid, Elf, Halfling, Hellbred, Vampire, Necropolitan, Xorvintaal Dragon, Bard (Savage), Cleric, Dread Necromancer, Drow ACFs, Druid and Ranger, Duskblade, Factotum, Knight, Monk, Paladin, Ranger, Rogue, Swordsage, Unarmed Swordsage, Wizard, Armour Master: Deflective Shield, Various PrCs, Arcane Trickster, Archmage, Assassin, Black Flame Zealot, Bladesinger, Disciple of Xi, Eldritch Knight, Foe Hunter, Knight of the Thorn, Order of the Cockatrice Cavelier, Rage Mage, Ruby Knight Vindicator, Sacred Fist, Shadow Sun Ninja, and some other things in the spoilers below prestige classes because seriously I'm not looking through everything, "Aren't real dysfunctions" because it's clear what they're supposed to do. Yes, it's clear what they're meant to do, they just don't.

A few, such as swordsage and foe hunter, are genuinely typos and should probably be removed, though.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Titan in the Playground

Given that the sentence cannot mean what it is supposed to, it's an obvious dysfunction.
    At best it's a grammatical error. The way you initially described it is just nonsense.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Banned

At best it's a grammatical error. The way you initially described it is just nonsense.
    I mean, it might be, but the main error is not "This sentence is dumbly written but ultimately means what it's meant to", or even "This sentence is ambiguous" so much as "This sentence can only mean two things, both of which are hilariously dumb and nothing like what it's supposed to."

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ogre in the Playground

It's a grammatical error that leads to bonuses categorized as Monk bonuses, as in the bonuses themselves have the Monk type.

Everyone reading it filtered out this insane, grammar-error-based, RAW because of how utterly insane it is. The Rules as Written, following English grammar rules, result in this.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Troll in the Playground

Also, by your logic, the dysfunctions in the handbook for Aasimar, Diopsid, Elf, Halfling, Hellbred, Vampire, Necropolitan, Xorvintaal Dragon, Bard (Savage), Cleric, Dread Necromancer, Drow ACFs, Druid and Ranger, Duskblade, Factotum, Knight, Monk, Paladin, Ranger, Rogue, Swordsage, Unarmed Swordsage, Wizard, Armour Master: Deflective Shield, Various PrCs, Arcane Trickster, Archmage, Assassin, Black Flame Zealot, Bladesinger, Disciple of Xi, Eldritch Knight, Foe Hunter, Knight of the Thorn, Order of the Cockatrice Cavelier, Rage Mage, Ruby Knight Vindicator, Sacred Fist, Shadow Sun Ninja, and some other things in the spoilers below prestige classes because seriously I'm not looking through everything, "Aren't real dysfunctions" because it's clear what they're supposed to do. Yes, it's clear what they're meant to do, they just don't.

A few, such as swordsage and foe hunter, are genuinely typos and should probably be removed, though.
    I too am not going to look over the entire handbook right now; but yes, there are several things in there that shouldn't be. We've managed to avoid adding most if not all of that sequester crap though.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Titan in the Playground

Yep. "Dysfunction" does not mean "any sentence that can be deliberately misunderstood if you try hard enough".

Quote Originally Posted by Debatra View Post
    I too am not going to look over the entire handbook right now; but yes, there are several things in there that shouldn't be.
    That's also true. I've found that if one person makes a silly claim and nobody contradicts it in the first 24 hours, it ends up in the "handbook" and never gets removed. That doesn't really help.

20. - Top - End - #320

BlackDragon

Yep. "Dysfunction" does not mean "any sentence that can be deliberately misunderstood if you try hard enough".
    *sigh*

The sentence does not make grammatical sense. It's not that deliberately misunderstanding it is the problem... it's that you have to misunderstand it in order for it to do what is intended.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Titan in the Playground

An editing error that makes a sentence ungrammatical is essentially a typo.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dagroth View Post
    It's not that deliberately misunderstanding it is the problem... it's that you have to misunderstand it in order for it to do what is intended.
    Exactly and perfectly this.

An editing error that makes a sentence ungrammatical is essentially a typo.
    It's perfectly grammatical, it just means something completely different from the intended meaning.
    Last edited by Jormengand; 2017-04-13 at 04:38 PM.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Dwarf in the Playground

But you can't have an AC bonus that is a monk. An AC bonus is not a tangible thing. At best it's an idea. A monk is a tangible thing. So clearly it doesn't mean that your AC bonus gets up and punches things, because that's not possible.
    So we have to look for more plausible interpretations of the text. Like, for example, the character gains an AC bonus as a monk.
    Clumsy wording, not a dysfunction.
    Physics in D&D is only superficially similar to real world physics.

24. - Top - End - #324

On an entirely different note, I found a dysfunction in some of the Forgotten Realms stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Faiths and Pantheons
    If the zin-carla's creator loses control of it for any reason, it becomes a free-willed undead, seeking only vengeance against its creator. It gains the supernatural ability to know the direction and distance to the being that animated it. If it manages to slay its creator, the zin-carla crumbles to dust.
    So what happens to a zin-carla whose creator dies through any means other than being destroyed by her undead? Does it continue seeking vengeance on a dead person? What if the zin-carla gets its freedom because its creator died?
    Spoiler: Extended Signature
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Draconium View Post
    All things considered, the guy whose character attacked a gazebo may have actually had a point...
    Quote Originally Posted by Anlashok View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sideswipe View Post
    ban the problem spells and the problem classes. not the whole book.
    So.. Keep the bard?
    Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    The only thing worse than a Beholder with an anti-magic cone is a Beholder without the anti-magic cone.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Baaa, I can think! Baaa, I can't see in the dark!

25. - Top - End - #325
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by HisHighestMinio View Post
    But you can't have an AC bonus that is a monk. An AC bonus is not a tangible thing. At best it's an idea. A monk is a tangible thing. So clearly it doesn't mean that your AC bonus gets up and punches things, because that's not possible.
    That's exactly WHY it's dysfunctional, because the ONLY valid interpretations are both insane.

So we have to look for more plausible interpretations of the text. Like, for example, the character gains an AC bonus as a monk.
    Clumsy wording, not a dysfunction.
    That's NOT a plausible or even possible interpretation. The sentence, as written, flat out CANNOT mean that. Your RAI has no power here.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Titan in the Playground

That's NOT a plausible or even possible interpretation.
    Of course it is HisHighestMinio interprets it that way, and therefore ipso facto it is a possible interpretation. It also happens to be more plausible than your interpretation.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Ogre in the Playground

Of course it is HisHighestMinio interprets it that way, and therefore ipso facto it is a possible interpretation. It also happens to be more plausible than your interpretation.
    What he means is that following the grammar rules of English, it's the only valid interpretation. We all ignore the grammar rules to make it make sense and parse out the intended meaning. RAW, it leads to having a bonus that is classified as a Monk-type bonus. RAI, it's giving you an effective five levels of Monk for the bonuses.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Morphic tide View Post
    What he means is that following the grammar rules of English, it's the only valid interpretation. We all ignore the grammar rules to make it make sense and parse out the intended meaning. RAW, it leads to having a bonus that is classified as a Monk-type bonus. RAI, it's giving you an effective five levels of Monk for the bonuses.
    Basically this, my pronouns notwithstanding. Of course you can interpret the sentence to mean something which it technically doesn't in English. In a real game, I would agree, just like I'd agree that you can't drown heal or that you know exactly what the minimum caster level required to cast a 7th-level wizard spell is, come on, but only because you have to make that decision for yourself, in a RACSD or RAI kind of way. This thread is the RAW dysfunction thread.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Socksy View Post
    On an entirely different note, I found a dysfunction in some of the Forgotten Realms stuff.

So what happens to a zin-carla whose creator dies through any means other than being destroyed by her undead? Does it continue seeking vengeance on a dead person? What if the zin-carla gets its freedom because its creator died?
    It's entirely possible to seek vengeance on a dead person. In D&D, dead people can become alive (or undead) relatively easily. The zin-carla could also seek passage to the outer plane that the animator (now a planar petitioner) inhabits and destroy its creator there. A slightly more creative interpretation would have the zin-carla go after the animator's legacy, friends, children, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ettin in the Playground

If a Marrash hits you with a taklif arrow, you are infected with faster Filth Fever. If you fail any fortitude save after that, you die instantly. I think it's supposed to be focused on saves vs the disease, but they didn't word it right, and you can't undo it.
    Last edited by The Viscount; 2017-04-14 at 01:49 PM.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards