New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 47 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Dysfunctional Rules IX: 1d3 Dysfunctions from the 8th Level List

Quote Originally Posted by PallentisLunam View Post
    No, Cancer Mage gets all cosmetic effects. In other words only those effects which cause no substantial changes.
    And in the actual game rules, this includes turning into formless jelly. Turning into formless jelly itself has no mechanical effect, weirdly enough. And the Warp Touch list is quite clearly listing what happens, followed by the mechanical effects caused by that. Cancer Mage is explicitly immune to the detrimental mechanical effects and explicitly not immune to the effects that have no mechanical effect/visible causes of the detrimental mechanical effects. Which includes turning into formless jelly, because Death is a separate effect from turning into formless jelly.

"No substantial changes" specifically means "no mechanical effect" here. Blackened skin, sores and hair falling out all come from serious problems IRL and don't happen without those problems, but Cancer Mage is subject to them without having any harm come to them quite explicitly. Any change that doesn't inherently have mechanical effects applies to the Cancer Mage, and it's entirely valid to have the visible things that do have explicit mechanical effects apply to them without the mechanical effects.

Again, turning into formless jelly is clearly the visual/cosmetic effect, while death is the detrimental mechanical effect. Cancer Mage is explicitly vulnerable to the former category and immune to the latter category. Do remember that this thread is about rules interactions that make no sense or break the game, so if the rules as written lead to utter nonsense, that's grounds for accepting that it belongs on this thread.

2. - Top - End - #512
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think at this point the cancer mage discussion should get its own thread to get more opinions on the matter.
    D&D 3.0 and 3.5 SRDs

Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    I'm honestly surprised at how often I spawn new sig's. Am I really that quotable?
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaMyconid View Post
    What do you mean it's not that great?

It lets you reload your greatsword.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Neutral Evil is Evil untainted by concern over Law or Chaos. It is Evil in its purest form, much like NG is Good in its purest form, LN is Law in its purest form, and CN is murderhoboing in its purest form.

3. - Top - End - #513
    Banned

So, in the flying rules, it says that "If a flying creature fails to maintain its minimum forward speed, it must land at the end of its movement," which taken literally means that you only have to land if your minimum forward speed changes. Taken less literally, it means that you only need to land if your speed is less than half your speed. Taken even less literally, you only need to land if you move less than half your speed, but not if you don't move at all. Taken even less literally still, we're not entirely sure how much time you need to move half your speed in, or even that it's half of your speed and not half of anything else. However you try to read it (except "By understanding how context and implication work", but we don't do that here), it's a mess.

EDIT: Throwing a grappling hook, even as a weapon with no rope attached, requires a use rope check.
    Last edited by Jormengand; 2017-06-06 at 12:41 AM.

4. - Top - End - #514
    Ettin in the Playground

Doesn't the phrasing mean that if you exceed your minimum speed, you also need to land?
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

5. - Top - End - #515
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Viscount View Post
    Doesn't the phrasing mean that if you exceed your minimum speed, you also need to land?
    Yes, that too.

6. - Top - End - #516
    Ettin in the Playground

The column is labeled "Description/Effect" not "Effect 1/Effect 2". The former is the cause, the later is the effect. Those entries with no semicolon are only descriptive and contain merely cosmetic effects.
    I see your reason, but the problem is: such reading - no matter how RAW legal or not - disconnects fluff and crunch
    "11–15" result doesn't make one arm "useless" - it just cause d6 Str/Dex/Con drain; Stone Giant, if hit with it twice, wouldn't lose ability to use his greatclub - "arm becomes useless" is just a fluff, and he have enough ability scores to stay active after the abilities drain
    On the other hand, Marilith, if hit with "11–15" 4 times in row (unlikely, but still possible), may be paralysed (because of Dex drain) - despite having two more perfectly good arms, and tail (which, by the fluff, shouldn't be even affected at all)
    And if Marilith will be hit with "16–20" result, she will suffer usual d6 Str/Dex/Con drain - despite don't having any legs to "becomes useless"
    And at "39–40" result, her speed still will be halved - despite the fact she already have a snake tail for legs
    And if somebody is immune to ability drain without being also immune to diseases (or Fort saves in general), then he will be able to walk and act even with all of his arms and legs "useless"
    Last edited by ShurikVch; 2017-06-07 at 04:49 PM.

7. - Top - End - #517

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by ShurikVch View Post
    I see your reason, but the problem is: such reading - no matter how RAW legal or not - disconnects fluff and crunch
    "11–15" result doesn't make one arm "useless" - it just cause d6 Str/Dex/Con drain; Stone Giant, if hit with it twice, wouldn't lose ability to use his greatclub - "arm becomes useless" is just a fluff, and he have enough ability scores to stay active after the abilities drain
    On the other hand, Marilith, if hit with "11–15" 4 times in row (unlikely, but still possible), may be paralysed (because of Dex drain) - despite having two more perfectly good arms, and tail (which, by the fluff, shouldn't be even affected at all)
    And if Marilith will be hit with "16–20" result, she will suffer usual d6 Str/Dex/Con drain - despite don't having any legs to "becomes useless"
    And at "39–40" result, her speed still will be halved - despite the fact she already have a snake tail for legs
    And if somebody is immune to ability drain without being also immune to diseases (or Fort saves in general), then he will be able to walk and act even with all of his arms and legs "useless"
    I'm sorry, but "arm becomes useless" is not "just a fluff". It means that you can't dual wield and can't wield a two-handed weapon.

"arm becomes useless" twice means that you can't use weapons that require hands... assuming you don't have more than two arms.

8. - Top - End - #518
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dagroth View Post
    I'm sorry, but "arm becomes useless" is not "just a fluff". It means that you can't dual wield and can't wield a two-handed weapon.

"arm becomes useless" twice means that you can't use weapons that require hands... assuming you don't have more than two arms.
    It is just fluff, because it's resultant effect has little to do with losing use of an arm and affects things that don't have any arms. Warp Touch is clearly structured as cause;effect, with the cause being the fluff behind the effect. "Useless arm" is not an actual mechanical thing. Dismemberment is not a thing in the mechanics. Mechanically, there is not a single thing that removes limb use that isn't a Transmutation effect, and that typically happens by polymorphing things into other things lacking limbs.

9. - Top - End - #519
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morphic tide View Post
    It is just fluff, because it's resultant effect has little to do with losing use of an arm and affects things that don't have any arms. Warp Touch is clearly structured as cause;effect, with the cause being the fluff behind the effect. "Useless arm" is not an actual mechanical thing. Dismemberment is not a thing in the mechanics. Mechanically, there is not a single thing that removes limb use that isn't a Transmutation effect, and that typically happens by polymorphing things into other things lacking limbs.
    You're sort of correct, in that things that detach limbs often don't explain the rules behind them because they're considered so blisteringly obvious (e.g. Grim Revenge, Spider Hand, Black Talon, Serpent of the Theggeron, etc).

Claws of Darkness, Fire Wings, Flame Whips, Wither Limb and more, however, disagree.

Lahm's Finger Darts is in the middle, stating that hands "become useless" without expanding.

10. - Top - End - #520
    Ettin in the Playground

The War Domain gives Martial Weapon Proficiency (if necessary) for the deity's favored weapon. However, some deities with the War Domain, like Tem-Et-Nu, have exotic weapons as their favored weapon.
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

11. - Top - End - #521
    Troll in the Playground

I keep forgetting this thread's stance on whether "this rule does nothing" is a dysfunction.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

12. - Top - End - #522
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Debatra View Post
    I keep forgetting this thread's stance on whether "this rule does nothing" is a dysfunction.
    If the rule is intended to do something, and doesn't do that something, it's a dysfunction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

13. - Top - End - #523
    Banned

The War Domain gives Martial Weapon Proficiency (if necessary) for the deity's favored weapon. However, some deities with the War Domain, like Tem-Et-Nu, have exotic weapons as their favored weapon.
    So, MWP isn't necessary for that weapon, so you don't get it, and that's possibly intended behaviour?

14. - Top - End - #524
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    So, MWP isn't necessary for that weapon, so you don't get it, and that's possibly intended behaviour?
    I can't prove intent, but I can say that all of the deities with the War Domain in the PHB have simple or martial favored weapons. It seems more likely to me that the writers for later deities forgot this tidbit than them intentionally making a favored weapon such that certain clerics get no bonus from the War Domain.

EDIT: Glorious Master of the Elements has a statblock in rather strong disagreement with the spell text. It says that it has a target of one creature with a duration of 5 rounds, but the spell says that you can attack any target within 60 feet every round as a standard.
    Last edited by The Viscount; 2017-06-11 at 03:55 PM.
    Awards

15. - Top - End - #525

The Entropomancer's capstone ability lets it deal 5d6 damage to itself once a round, as long as they maintain concentration on a Sphere of Annihilation.

Quote Originally Posted by Entropomancer
    Control Sphere (Su): The entropomancer has the ability to control a sphere of annihilation as if he were using a talisman of the sphere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Talisman of the Sphere
    This small adamantine loop and handle are useless to those unable to cast arcane spells. Characters who cannot cast arcane spells take 5d6 points of damage merely from picking up and holding a talisman of this sort.
    Spoiler: Extended Signature
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Draconium View Post
    All things considered, the guy whose character attacked a gazebo may have actually had a point...
    Quote Originally Posted by Anlashok View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sideswipe View Post
    ban the problem spells and the problem classes. not the whole book.
    So.. Keep the bard?
    Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    The only thing worse than a Beholder with an anti-magic cone is a Beholder without the anti-magic cone.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Baaa, I can think! Baaa, I can't see in the dark!

16. - Top - End - #526
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Socksy View Post
    The Entropomancer's capstone ability lets it deal 5d6 damage to itself once a round, as long as they maintain concentration on a Sphere of Annihilation.
    Strictly speaking, it isn't the act of using a talisman that does the damage, but holding it. Entropomancers don't have to hold anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

17. - Top - End - #527
    Titan in the Playground

EDIT: Glorious Master of the Elements has a statblock in rather strong disagreement with the spell text. It says that it has a target of one creature with a duration of 5 rounds, but the spell says that you can attack any target within 60 feet every round as a standard.
    It's a bit rough, but I think that can reasonably be read as allowing you to cast the spell on any target within 60 feet. That target then gains the benefit of the spell for its duration, which is making attacks against other creatures.

Probably not the intended function of the spell (the description sounds like they thought they were writing a Personal spell) but it works perfectly well within the rules. There are a large number of buffs with similar formatting.

18. - Top - End - #528

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    Strictly speaking, it isn't the act of using a talisman that does the damage, but holding it. Entropomancers don't have to hold anything.
    That makes things a little bit easier on the Entropomancer, then, since it's only "entirely useless" rather than "actively harmful"
    Show

All things considered, the guy whose character attacked a gazebo may have actually had a point...
    So.. Keep the bard?
    The only thing worse than a Beholder with an anti-magic cone is a Beholder without the anti-magic cone.

19. - Top - End - #529
    Ettin in the Playground

Draconomicon have Red Dragons by Size chart, which lists statistics for Small size
    Except the facts: Red Wyrmling is a Medium-sized creature, and Red Dragon's egg is a Medium-sized object

20. - Top - End - #530
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShurikVch View Post
    Draconomicon have Red Dragons by Size chart, which lists statistics for Small size
    Except the facts: Red Wyrmling is a Medium-sized creature, and Red Dragon's egg is a Medium-sized object
    Clearly this refers to red dragonwrought kobolds. Definitive proof that dragonwrought kobolds are true dragons.

21. - Top - End - #531

Quote Originally Posted by Malimar View Post
    Clearly this refers to red dragonwrought kobolds. Definitive proof that dragonwrought kobolds are true dragons.
    No, it's in case you want to stack templates on your baby dragon to make it smaller and cuter, much like the horrifying breeding of small dogs.
    Show

So.. Keep the bard?

22. - Top - End - #532
    Troll in the Playground

Well not actually knowing the table in question it would be possible to Permanency a Reduce Person on a Wyrmling Red

23. - Top - End - #533

Well not actually knowing the table in question it would be possible to Permanency a Reduce Person on a Wyrmling Red
    Only humanoids are eligible for that spell, no?
    I think there's a psionic version that would work though.
    It's after 2am so if I'm spouting nonsense, ignore me.
    Show

So.. Keep the bard?

24. - Top - End - #534
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Socksy View Post
    Only humanoids are eligible for that spell, no?
    I think there's a psionic version that would work though.
    It's after 2am so if I'm spouting nonsense, ignore me.
    Polymorph > Permanent Reduce > Dismiss Polymorph?

25. - Top - End - #535
    Titan in the Playground

Polymorph > Permanent Reduce > Dismiss Polymorph?
    Or just go for continuous Compression.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

26. - Top - End - #536
    Halfling in the Playground

GnomePirate

The air blast attacks granted by the vestige Otiax aren't explicitly manufactured or natural weapons; you don't add strength bonuses (but you do add penalties for some reason), they're touch attacks, you can make AoOs with them, it's unspecified if they threaten, and you get iteratives from BaB. Generally just a mess of an ability.

27. - Top - End - #537
    Banned

Pyrokineticists can kill someone as a full attack action but that's not how full attack actions work.

28. - Top - End - #538
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Pyrokineticists can kill someone as a full attack action but that's not how full attack actions work.
    The relevant bit, for those curious.

Honestly, I got nothing.
    I mean, by RAI it should be a full round action and that would be fine, but as is I guess you have to have BAB +5 or more and declare a target to use the ability?

Ok, I had a stupid idea: since this ability specifies a full attack action, can you use it with pounce/shadowpounce?

29. - Top - End - #539
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by flare'90 View Post
    The relevant bit, for those curious.

Honestly, I got nothing.
    I mean, by RAI it should be a full round action and that would be fine, but as is I guess you have to have BAB +5 or more and declare a target to use the ability?

Ok, I had a stupid idea: since this ability specifies a full attack action, can you use it with pounce/shadowpounce?
    Technically there's no reason why you can't make a full attack with no iteratives.

I guess you can use it with pounce, or perhaps with psionic lion's charge? Maybe there's something dumb we can do with that fact. The fact that you need to expend your psionic focus can be worked around.

EDIT: Another dysfunction: a Master Thrower is supposed to be able to throw two daggers, two shuriken or two darts in a single attack, but the text says "Two of EACH weapon" so you can throw six weapons with each attack.
    Last edited by Jormengand; 2017-06-26 at 10:09 PM.

30. - Top - End - #540
    Troll in the Playground

EDIT: Another dysfunction: a Master Thrower is supposed to be able to throw two daggers, two shuriken or two darts in a single attack, but the text says "Two of EACH weapon" so you can throw six weapons with each attack.
    Ooh, nice one.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.