New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 153031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1478
  1. - Top - End - #1171
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: What's your favorite headcanon?

Quote Originally Posted by The Jack View Post
    Star Wars
    Midichlorians are a bacteria attracted to people who use the force, they're a symptom, not the cause of the totally magical Force.
    Same, its the only way to reconcile anything making sense around that blunder. Moreso since they're never mentioned outside of the prequel trilogy, so caring about it was basically a fad. that or an easier way to find force sensitives.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

2. - Top - End - #1172
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    I'm thinking she's literally from nobody. She's what Anakin/Vader was, times two.

EDIT:

Or, more parsimoniously, that Kylo Ren was lying to her.
    building on that, according to the movies,

Who was Obi-wan's parents?
    Who was Qui-gon's parents?
    Who was Mace Windu's parents?
    Who was Yoda's parents?
    Who was Kit Fisto's parents?

nobodies. The force does not seem to grant power via bloodline, but through random chance. Chirrut Îmwe shows that you can have low level force powers without being Sith or Jedi.

And Kylo was lying. If Rey had been sold for drinking money, she would have been a slave. Yet she's clearly living independently!
    If you find yourself watching Power Rangers and wonder how some characters got their powers and zords back for an anniversary episode, just assume they were restored off screen. They have 20+ seasons of team geniuses to call on.

3. - Top - End - #1173
    Banned

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by archon_huskie View Post
    And Kylo was lying. If Rey had been sold for drinking money, she would have been a slave. Yet she's clearly living independently!
    Historically a lot of slaves got wide berth. Being a slave doesn't mean living in a jail cell to only be let out supervised in a fenced plantation or spending your life chained to a bed. It can mean that, but really a lot of slavery basically revolves around the slave having nowhere to go, too much risk in trying to leave, or a dependency on the master. Some slaves liked and were loyal to their masters, and got good treatment.

I can totally buy that Rey's a slave. She had nowhere to go from Jakku and totally bought the parent story. The fact that she can fly is a little iffy, but I've kinda assumed basic piloting is rather easy in the star wars universe and land vehicles often have similar controls. Maybe her looks are a bit wasted but 1:she's surrounded by aliens and 2: Good looking humans seem to be incredibly common and plastic surgery/AI is advanced so there's no need to put her in that kind of work, maybe slavery's fine but there's social standard's to keep...

Also, there's defo a big deal about Anakin's bloodline.

I suspect the Jedi were celibate so that they didn't make a load of force sensitives around the galaxy. Force sensitives are a danger to society after all.

4. - Top - End - #1174
    Colossus in the Playground

Historically a lot of slaves got wide berth. Being a slave doesn't mean living in a jail cell to only be let out supervised in a fenced plantation or spending your life chained to a bed. It can mean that, but really a lot of slavery basically revolves around the slave having nowhere to go, too much risk in trying to leave, or a dependency on the master. Some slaves liked and were loyal to their masters, and got good treatment.

I can totally buy that Rey's a slave. She had nowhere to go from Jakku and totally bought the parent story. The fact that she can fly is a little iffy, but I've kinda assumed basic piloting is rather easy in the star wars universe and land vehicles often have similar controls. Maybe her looks are a bit wasted but 1:she's surrounded by aliens and 2: Good looking humans seem to be incredibly common and plastic surgery/AI is advanced so there's no need to put her in that kind of work, maybe slavery's fine but there's social standard's to keep...

Also, there's defo a big deal about Anakin's bloodline.

I suspect the Jedi were celibate so that they didn't make a load of force sensitives around the galaxy. Force sensitives are a danger to society after all.
    Yeah, dont forget that anakin and his mom lived in their own house. Watto certainly didnt come barging in asking where his dinner was. Anakin also had time to work on his own projects like building a freaking robot and a pod racer. He was basically a store employee that had no choice about coming in to work every day.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

5. - Top - End - #1175
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Yeah, dont forget that anakin and his mom lived in their own house. Watto certainly didnt come barging in asking where his dinner was. Anakin also had time to work on his own projects like building a freaking robot and a pod racer. He was basically a store employee that had no choice about coming in to work every day.
    So he was a perfectly ordinary retail employee?

6. - Top - End - #1176

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    So he was a perfectly ordinary retail employee?
    Except his "pay" was room and board, it was obligatory, enforced by implanted bombs (or collars, forget which) And he certainly didnt apply for the job. Other than that, yeah, standard retail.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

7. - Top - End - #1177

Minus the exploding collar, that still sounds like retail work. But maybe Im just overly cynical.

8. - Top - End - #1178
    Ogre in the Playground

What was the actual problem with midichlorians again? The Force always had a biological component, unless you thought Darth Vader's children were Force sensitive via coincidence. It was never as important as spirituality or training, though, which is why Luke demonstrates more ability than Leia despite having the same bloodline.

9. - Top - End - #1179

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    What was the actual problem with midichlorians again? The Force always had a biological component, unless you thought Darth Vader's children were Force sensitive via coincidence. It was never as important as spirituality or training, though, which is why Luke demonstrates more ability than Leia despite having the same bloodline.
    It was turning a religion into a science. In the orig trig it was more about a mystical power that flowed through us. Yes it might be passed on from father to son (Though leia never showed any real signs of it) But it was treated as a religion, not a science. I mean, that was the whole point of our favorite force choke as the officer sneers at vader and his "sorcerers ways" Or han solo calling it a hokey religion.

10. - Top - End - #1180
    Banned

HalflingRangerGuy

Luke only demonstrates more because he was the one trained. Leia probably had more natural talent given that she can sense things without any practice whatsoever.

11. - Top - End - #1181
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

It was turning a religion into a science. In the orig trig it was more about a mystical power that flowed through us. Yes it might be passed on from father to son (Though leia never showed any real signs of it) But it was treated as a religion, not a science. I mean, that was the whole point of our favorite force choke as the officer sneers at vader and his "sorcerers ways" Or han solo calling it a hokey religion.
    Leia showed some, mostly of what the RPGs called Sense, and a lot of it in relation to Luke.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

12. - Top - End - #1182

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post

I'm going to quote the webcomic Elgoonishive because Dan put it very nicely.
    https://egscomics.com/comic/2010-04-26

Midichlorians! Everyone was fine with the Force. It was like, here's this magic thing people can do. It's AWESOME. Don't question it. It was the fantasy element of Star Wars.
    Then comes Episode One, and Lucas is all like, "Qui-Gon's gotta say Anakin's a badass in potentia. But How?" Completely ignoring that Qui-Gon could just say "The Force is strong with this one" and we'd accept it.
    He Introduces Midichlorians, which are, to quote Flanders, an "Answer to a question no one asked!"
    Fans willingly suspended their disbelief for Years, and out of NOWHERE Lucas figures he has to explain it. Any writer who takes something no one was questioning and tries to explain it is a hack.

(the Webcomic then goes on to explain something minor and trivial from its early days that no one was questioning)
    Last edited by archon_huskie; 2019-03-22 at 12:18 AM.
    If you find yourself watching Power Rangers and wonder how some characters got their powers and zords back for an anniversary episode, just assume they were restored off screen. They have 20+ seasons of team geniuses to call on.

13. - Top - End - #1183

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Leia showed some, mostly of what the RPGs called Sense, and a lot of it in relation to Luke.
    I think her one big force scene was at the end of the second movie, knowing where the one handed brother was dangling so they could rescue him. But too be fair, there wasnt exactly a lot of force powers being used in a flashy manner. The biggest being vader hurling stuff at luke in a nice display of unstoppable juggernaut behavior. And of course the sith lightning. Other than that it was "trusting in the force" to make a shot, or having a vision of friends in trouble. But still thats aside from the point which was explaining why midichlorians was such a punch in the nose to fans.

14. - Top - End - #1184
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

I think her one big force scene was at the end of the second movie, knowing where the one handed brother was dangling so they could rescue him. But too be fair, there wasnt exactly a lot of force powers being used in a flashy manner. The biggest being vader hurling stuff at luke in a nice display of unstoppable juggernaut behavior. And of course the sith lightning. Other than that it was "trusting in the force" to make a shot, or having a vision of friends in trouble. But still thats aside from the point which was explaining why midichlorians was such a punch in the nose to fans.
    She also has some touches in RotJ, but, yeah, most of it isn't flashy.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

15. - Top - End - #1185
    Banned

HalflingRangerGuy

The power up of the ST is worse than midichlorians.

When Kylo stopped the bolt mid air and didn't seem to need to hold it there... Like why isn't he decapitating people with glances? That move was a statement of power, and he doesn't live up to it. Snoke should be fine without his lower half, he should be able to live like Aladdin's Genie.

Guidance was always a cooler feature than any of the flashy stuff.

16. - Top - End - #1186
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

There really are a lot of Star Wars headcanons, huh? One I heard recently and love is that the scene at the end of New Hope (you know, where Luke and Han get medals but Chewie doesn't) isn't a celebration of their triumph over the Death Star but actually a wedding between Luke and Han, and that's why Chewie isn't included. Presumably they had a quickie divorce before Empire Strikes Back happens, but who knows...

17. - Top - End - #1187
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Supermorff View Post
    There really are a lot of Star Wars headcanons, huh? One I heard recently and love is that the scene at the end of New Hope (you know, where Luke and Han get medals but Chewie doesn't) isn't a celebration of their triumph over the Death Star but actually a wedding between Luke and Han, and that's why Chewie isn't included. Presumably they had a quickie divorce before Empire Strikes Back happens, but who knows...
    That would complete the love triangle...
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

18. - Top - End - #1188
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Themrys View Post
    That's an interesting headcanon.

I never trusted the trolls. They totally pressure Anna into that relationship. That whole song is icky, I mean, what kind of message is that? "He's **** but you can change him" ... no thanks.
    I'm pretty that isn't the message... It's not like they endorse dating someone like Hans. The message is "he's a great guy, just a bit rough around the edges... And not only he'd be a good date, but dating you would actually make him a better person".

Men do tend to "clean up" once they start dating someone.
    Homebrew Stuff:

19. - Top - End - #1189
    Firbolg in the Playground

It was turning a religion into a science. In the orig trig it was more about a mystical power that flowed through us. Yes it might be passed on from father to son (Though leia never showed any real signs of it)
    She had some hints of psychic abilities, (and also Vader calls her out as having potential, although that's partly to do with the way he was trolling Luke at the end or RoTJ)

Speaking of which, that same scene also sort of lampshades Obi-Wan's inaccurate exposition from A New Hope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDs2UGCP2Fk&t=02m52s
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

20. - Top - End - #1190

EvilClericGuy

When Kylo stopped the bolt mid air and didn't seem to need to hold it there... Like why isn't he decapitating people with glances? That move was a statement of power, and he doesn't live up to it. Snoke should be fine without his lower half, he should be able to live like Aladdin's Genie.

Guidance was always a cooler feature than any of the flashy stuff.
    Few people stop to consider the force power ups in the Extended Universe.
    Luke was often floating while meditating, and on occasion used the power of flight. (not seen in the movies)
    Han was worried that his son was a couch potato who used the force to get stuff rather than walking across the room.
    There was a Jedi apprentice who cured Mon Motha of a disease by using the force to pluck each virus/bacterial cell (not sure which) from her body and into a Petri dish.

It culminates in The Force Unleashed, where Jedi Battles resemble DBZ more than the original Trilogy. Starkiller used the force to pull a star destroyer out of orbit and crash it to a planet. But no Jedi tries that against DROID ships in the PT.

21. - Top - End - #1191
    Banned

HalflingRangerGuy

See, I can believe some of that and less others. The expanded universe is a mess, so I don't think it's so bad that disney did a 'kill them all, god will know his own' to it.

Maybe the force waxes and wanes, maybe it's just writers one upping another to show a progression of characters.

Luke floating whilst meditating? Sure.
    Using the force to get the remote? Completely within the bounds of what we've seen in movies.
    "force judgement" Sure. It's a re-skinned force lightning.
    Assembling lightsabers with the force alone? ehhh.... do a bit at a time and it'll be fine.
    Pain reduction? Sure. Healing... Well, that's a big deal!
    Blocking the blaster shot with you hand? Yeah. Freezing a bolt in place with no effort? nah.
    Visions and dreams? Sure. Luke's lightsaber calling after Rey and giving her a montage? hmmm... no.

I was really on board with the clone wars except for the Dathomiri witch and that time with the father/son/daughter. Rebels... Bendu worked, the other dimension didn't.

22. - Top - End - #1192
    Troll in the Playground

In the original trilogy Darth Vader kills a man over a monitor during a Skype session from who-knows-how-far while not even gesturing or pausing the conversation.

The Force works as necessary for cinematic purposes.
    Last edited by Kitten Champion; 2019-03-23 at 07:34 PM.

23. - Top - End - #1193
    Banned

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    I'm pretty that isn't the message... It's not like they endorse dating someone like Hans. The message is "he's a great guy, just a bit rough around the edges... And not only he'd be a good date, but dating you would actually make him a better person".

Men do tend to "clean up" once they start dating someone.
    The problem is that she's in love with someone else (however mistaken she's about that dude) and the trolls pressure her into dating their adopted kid without any respect for what she wants.
    That's creepy. Take it out of the context of who the two guys are, and you'll see that quite clearly.

Also, while some men might improve minor details like their personal hygiene or fashion sense when they start dating, that's not something anyone ever should rely on. If I am not mistaken, the term the trolls use to describe him is one you'd use for a house or car that's completely unusable unless you fix it.

Singing a song of how he's totally a great guy despite being a bit grumpy, okay. Them trying to not-so-subtly advertise for him could be played for comedy.

Pushing her (and him) into a full roleplay of marriage while singing about how she will have to change him ... creepy.

Seeing as they CAN change people's memories, the theory that they interfered with magic to make their preferred ship happen isn't so far off.

24. - Top - End - #1194
    Firbolg in the Playground

Snoke ought to be back even disregarding the power up. Even before the new series it was established that cutting a sith lord in half won't necessarily stop them. Vader had his legs cut off and IIRC Maul's survival was canon in the TV shows years before Solo came out
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

25. - Top - End - #1195
    Ogre in the Playground

Isn't that Anakin's mistake, though? He treats it as his superpower and isn't spiritual, with the result that he's always one upped by those who know the religious aspects. His super midi count doesn't help him much.

I would argue that answering the question no one asked is often good worldbuilding. Qui Gon needed a way to identify Anakin as more than just a strong Force sensitive.

Leia had the powers she just didn't train it. Training and spirituality were more important than how many midis you have.

Absent Jedi training, it is difficult to determine what should/should not be possible using the Force. Does it take more power to freeze a bolt than block it? We dunno.

26. - Top - End - #1196
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Themrys View Post
    The problem is that she's in love with someone else (however mistaken she's about that dude) and the trolls pressure her into dating their adopted kid without any respect for what she wants.
    That's creepy. Take it out of the context of who the two guys are, and you'll see that quite clearly.

Also, while some men might improve minor details like their personal hygiene or fashion sense when they start dating, that's not something anyone ever should rely on. If I am not mistaken, the term the trolls use to describe him is one you'd use for a house or car that's completely unusable unless you fix it.

Singing a song of how he's totally a great guy despite being a bit grumpy, okay. Them trying to not-so-subtly advertise for him could be played for comedy.

Pushing her (and him) into a full roleplay of marriage while singing about how she will have to change him ... creepy.

Seeing as they CAN change people's memories, the theory that they interfered with magic to make their preferred ship happen isn't so far off.
    It's been quite a while since I've seen the movie, but IIRC, they aren't aware Anna likes another guy at that point. They saw their son introduce them to a girl and got over-excited (understansable, considering 90% of his social life up to that point was being BFF with a moose).

Sure... The song eventually blows things out of proportion... This is Disney! Of course it does! Every song grows larger than life while it's on-screen. Specially in more recent movies.

They use the term "fixer-upper" because it makes the song sound better and works with the word play of "fixing them up with each other". I don't think it's meant to convey the idea that their son is such a horrible person that he needs to be remade from scratch. It's just their way of saying "He's brave, loyal, kind, etc... But he kinda smells like a moose and is somewhat socially inept".

And the theory of "they changed her mind" could make sense... But it's obviously not what happened. This ia Disney... Not Grim-Dark-Fantasy-show. It's just a fan theory that could possibly fit the story, but obviously isn't what happened canonically.

It's a particularly silly Disney song performed by particularly silly charactera. It's not meant to be taken so serious. It's just a funny, cutesy scene that helps two protatonists grow closer.

Otherwise is like complaining about Simba excitedly singing a joyful song that basically amounts to "I can't wait for my dad to die!". Sure... You can see it that way, and come up with all sorts of fitting theories as to why Simba is actuallt evil or something... But that really isn't the point.

I think with the advent of internet cynism and collective over-analysis, it's easy to forget that sometimes things are just meant to be light-hearted and taken at face-value.
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2019-03-24 at 10:38 AM.
    Homebrew Stuff:

27. - Top - End - #1197

New headcanon: Simba was plotting with Scar all along to eliminate Mufasa, Scar just double-crossed him first and Simba later returned the favor.

28. - Top - End - #1198
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

I think the implication of Simba's song is that he's an idiot and has no idea what he is in for.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

29. - Top - End - #1199

Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    I think the implication of Simba's song is that he's an idiot and has no idea what he is in for.
    Or, you know, a kid, with a kids understanding of what it means to be the boss.

30. - Top - End - #1200

Half-Fiends, Tieflings and Tanarruks (and etc half-demon-devil-local species) in D&D were probably first made, not born, via the Ritual of Bonding that Acolytes of the Skin use to bind a fiend to themselves, turning them into suspiciously Tiefling-esque (what with the horns, the crazy evil eyes, etc) beings

Once they were in mortal bodies and were a native yet an outsider simulantaneously, they could breed like any humanoid, becoming Native Outsiders, born as normal.

(Normal D&D canon is that they were born from fiendish/infernal stock, but given the description of an Acolyte is 'your dude basically becomes this other race in all but name in exchange for 1/2 spell progression but fun (if a touch lackluster compared to a wizard who buckled down and studied normally) per day spells I guess' it feels 'right' to me that they were initially result of unchecked experiments in attaining magical power, and it was much later on became a species of their own right.)
    OI YOU! Join this one Discord where people talk 3.5 stuff! Also chicken infested related things! It’s pretty rad! https://discord.gg/6HmgXhUZ