New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: GrrlPower III: Crisis Of Infinite Filler Comics

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Deus also isn't an idiot. Sure, he has a lust for power and a lot of arrogance, but he hasn't proven to be dumb enough to annoy his secret agent on the team of super heroes. Yet. I think I agree with the idea that he's doing it as a signal. Scionia might not understand human behavior that well if Mister Staremeister is anything to go by.
    Deus also informed Maxima/Sydney/Succubus.

He knows Vala can probably hold off enough so Sciona, until cavalry arrives.

2. - Top - End - #722
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

And now we have the greatest application of Harem's power: impromptu popcorn.

Harem told Maxima about Sciona before the "signal". We know this because her reaction to it was shown in front of Sydney. It could still easily be a signal, but Harem was already on it. Deus has been showed as perfectly cool with her being a triple agent, and in fact was counting on it.

Personally, I'm interested in Deus as a character. I still hold out hope that he's a Doctor Doom character. Well, Doom at his best: a complicated mess of good intention and evil impulses.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

3. - Top - End - #723
    Troll in the Playground

Looks like a slap on the posterior is Deus-ese for "Get the popcorn."

4. - Top - End - #724

5. - Top - End - #725
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Sciona, if you keep acting like little brat throwing a tantrum you will never be a respectable villain.

Seriously, it's like she's trying to make Deus look good in comparison...
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

6. - Top - End - #726
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Sciona, if you keep acting like little brat throwing a tantrum you will never be a respectable villain.

I dunno, it's kind of understandable if we assume Sciona is the competent hyper-planner this arc has made her out to be.

She gathered a team of like-minded monsters who all wanted to loot the vault, as well as a ridiculously-bigoted anti-monster human, all of whom were also vital to entering the vault and getting what she wanted and whom she at least had contingencies for betraying, while she was also planning to exterminate the monster council to make sure everybody would be too panicked to go make sure the vault was still locked up tight, giving her time to use the things she got her hands on. The plan has to have been very long and complex, and from what we've seen it had every right to succeed at every step but for some giant coincidences that screwed her over: her ambush of the council was defeated because one of the people in the council meeting was 1) kicked out of the meeting, 2) found their way into a secret room that Sciona's minions wouldn't see her in, 3) that the person hiding could also see magic through walls and was genre savvy enough to know what she was seeing was a problem, and 4) had Superwoman on speed-dial (who happens to be in the next room). The ambush ends up killing none of the council when by all rights it should've decimated them.

But the rest of the plan is still solid, it just means she needs to work even faster on the "break into the vault" part. Maybe the betrayal of her comrades near the end was only a contingency for if the ambush failed and the vault would get investigated, and she needed to eliminate all witnesses as part of covering her tracks. But the breaking into the super-vault part of the plan goes off without a hitch, and she manages to get one of the things she came for...and then this douche steps around the corner with a ****ing shopping cart. This dude she wasn't even aware of, with a superhuman bodyguard, who has previously hired one of the dudes she hand-picked for this team, and suddenly the possibility of all those earlier coincidences not being quite as coincidental starts lining up. She isn't sure who she can trust, she isn't sure what they're capable of, and she's apparently so caught off-guard that she straight-up forgot some of the stuff she's spent months planning to steal.

That's not the kind of thing the master planner types tend to forget. Generally the "what you're hear to steal" list is burned into your brain about halfway through the months-long planning of the heist, you would think. Maybe she assumes she forgot maybe, and goes to confront him about it since he's almost certainly got it. When she gets there, he smugly replies "oh, did you forget something important? I tend to have that effect sometimes", and suddenly it occurs to you that maybe the hyper-successful superhuman-employing CEO might have powers of his own...and might have ****ed with your memory. That's the kind of thing that pisses people right off.

Even if there's been no mind-****ery, though, everything that could've gone wrong with this plan has gone wrong, and it's entirely possible she thinks she just got out-planned by this smug ****ing *******, and she wants to punch his face in...and he probably doesn't have powers, so that'll get him out of her hair.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

7. - Top - End - #727
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    snip
    Well, maybe, but taking it out on that poor innocent marble pillar was just unnecessarily petty.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

8. - Top - End - #728
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post

But that is exactly what this sequence is about. Same as the one in the vault. Like, notice that this entire sequence starts because the narrative couldn't let the first thing anyone has done that was a minor bother to Deus (Sciona taking her ball and leaving while triggering the self-destruct) not be also a thing where Deus still "won".

Sciona is not a threatening villain, and I have to assume she never was meant to be one. She seems to be here as another show of how outclassed the magical beings are in every department by the "modern people" and superheroes.
    Last edited by Drascin; 2018-01-25 at 03:28 PM.

9. - Top - End - #729
    Titan in the Playground

She seems to be here as another show of how outclassed the magical beings are in every department by the "modern people" and superheroes.
    And that bit is honestly starting to wear a little bit thin at this point.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

10. - Top - End - #730
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yeah at this point the addition of supernatural people seems to be only about them being useless compared to supers hopefully that changes but at the moment they just seem pointless as an addition. Take the Sciona confronting deus scene, a villain gets devalued further by appearing as threatening as a toddler having a tantrum (which reinforces the perception that the magic side is a bit of a pointless addition) and for what purpose? It doesn't build up deus since sciona lacks the credibility or gravitas to build him up, it isn't funny which would excuse many things.

Also a bit mystified how she missed an item she wanted to suddenly realize deus has it, did she just forget before doing her dramatic exit? Or does she need the transforming item again because she messed up? In which case neither leaving it nor messing up speak highly of her planning ability if I am not missing something. Anyway while some things make it seem she was never meant as a serious villain the comic does read to me like she is supposed to be a serious villain

Of course future events might justify the story telling decisions we will see.
    Last edited by Ibrinar; 2018-01-27 at 02:58 PM.

11. - Top - End - #731
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    And that bit is honestly starting to wear a little bit thin at this point.
    Yep. One wonders why this entire storyline exists - the Council has showed that they are woefully behind the times and basically Rational argument strawmen, and they don't seem to bring anything to the storyline except making Dabbler a little less completely out of synch with the entire rest of the world by introducing more magic.

Though, to be honest, I'm probably more annoyed than most right now because the lionizing of Deus is also wearing a bit thin at this point for me, so this entire scene is basically "those two things that annoy you, together again!".
    Last edited by Drascin; 2018-01-27 at 03:48 PM.

12. - Top - End - #732
    Colossus in the Playground

Up until now I didnt really feel that way about supers versus supernatural, because honestly, its more maxima overpowering everything like she has always done. Even vehemence only had her beat because she waited so long to take him seriously. Most of the super squad would be a solid matchup for the supernatural side in a fight. Even the whole thing in the vault could have been a bluff on the part of deus about how vale can crush sciona and only MIGHT be an equal fight once she is fully healed. But then she casually shoved sciona back who just took it instead of even trying to gut her like a fish. Oh wait, she petulantly broke some marble facing.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

13. - Top - End - #733
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, not one of the high points of the strip. She can bloody teleport. Also regular teleport since she got her wings back. Hey, why not confront Dues when his bodyguard isn't standing right there? She's a super-powerful blood mage. She's shown reasonable ability at planning.

Maayybbee, the next couple pages will help, but glug.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

14. - Top - End - #734
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
    Yeah, not one of the high points of the strip. She can bloody teleport. Also regular teleport since she got her wings back. Hey, why not confront Dues when his bodyguard isn't standing right there? She's a super-powerful blood mage. She's shown reasonable ability at planning.

Maayybbee, the next couple pages will help, but glug.
    Is Deus ever not next to is bodyguard though? It seems unlikely.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

15. - Top - End - #735
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Yeah, Deus strikes me as the kind of guy who has his bodyguard follow him into the bathroom because he expects his many enemies will assume he doesn't and try to ambush him there. The only reason a bodyguard would ever not be at Deus' side is if the bodyguard needs to sleep, and then there'd be another bodyguard of similar capability taking the shift. Deus sleeping is another obvious ambush point, so of course he has a bodyguard watch him sleep too.
    Last edited by Douglas; 2018-01-28 at 08:50 PM.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

16. - Top - End - #736

Well, it looks like we'll at least get some questions about Vale answered.

17. - Top - End - #737
    Troll in the Playground

Did Sciona really show up at Deus's office just to threaten and bluster? Or does she have a few aces up her sleeve?

For that matter, Sciona's restored form bears some similarity to Maxima. Elfin ears and metalic skin suggest the possibility of a similar origin.

18. - Top - End - #738
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I think Sciona is used to being the Dreaded. The mystical factions (vampires, lycans, demons, etc) are hidebound and predictable, easily exploited by a careful planner. Supers are anything but predictable, with individual power sets varying radically and few social mores to exploit. Council hears Sciona's mad, they panic and end up doing exactly what she wants them to. Deus hears Sciona's mad, he tries to troll her harder and Vale punts her out a window. None of the old tactics work, none of the rote responses pan out, supers just don't play by the same rule as mystics and it's pissing Sciona off.
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2018-01-29 at 02:10 PM.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

19. - Top - End - #739
    Bugbear in the Playground

Except the supers basically behave like normal human even if their way of fighting can be more varied and their top level is stronger. And if there is no hidden plan just barging in all huffy like this wouldn't be impressive for a schemer even if it involved normal supernatural creatures. It might work but only by virtue of her being stronger.

But yeah from an in story perspective that might be the intended scenario.
    Last edited by Ibrinar; 2018-01-29 at 02:36 PM.

20. - Top - End - #740
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    Except the supers basically behave like normal human even if their way of fighting can be more varied and their top level is stronger. And if there is no hidden plan just barging in all huffy like this wouldn't be impressive for a schemer even if it involved normal supernatural creatures. It might work but only by virtue of her being stronger.
    Mystics have never really had a reason to take normal humans (muggles, to steal from Harry Potter). They're only a threat in mass numbers. Keep the PR below fecal deluge levels they're not a concern. Except the fact that they suddenly are, now, as supers have power on par with a mystic and a muggle's mentality. She doesn't know how to handle them, and it throws her off her game. She doesn't come off as a good improvisationalist, so she defaults to intimidation. That would normally be all she needs, I imagine - most any CEO would need to sit up and take notice when a fae walks into their office and go full drama-queen. Deus, on the other hand, only smirks at Vale and opens shop.

Edit: One thing I would point out, though, is that I don't think they're trying to show supers as flat-out superior to mystics. While there have always been oddball cases, supers as a phenomenon has only been the case for a couple decades at most, so far, and they're shown to be struggling heavily with how to handle their own diversity. Mystics, on the other hand, have created a system that, in spite of their diversity, has held strong for centuries. A few gaffs along the way, sure, but it's still an impressive feat.
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2018-01-29 at 03:29 PM.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

21. - Top - End - #741
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    Edit: One thing I would point out, though, is that I don't think they're trying to show supers as flat-out superior to mystics. While there have always been oddball cases, supers as a phenomenon has only been the case for a couple decades at most, so far, and they're shown to be struggling heavily with how to handle their own diversity. Mystics, on the other hand, have created a system that, in spite of their diversity, has held strong for centuries. A few gaffs along the way, sure, but it's still an impressive feat.
    Also, so far only Maxima has really shown herself to be superior to mystics and other supernaturals. Dabbler isn't a 'super' on top of whatever-else she is, at least as far as I know. (Though maybe she is, and we just can't tell because a super's body type is also a succubus body type.) Halo had a powerful shield that let her resist the energy drain effect we saw at the start of the Vault, but other than that we don't see her powers as better than the mages/vamps/etc--just she lucks out via plot & a combination of powers that together synergize really well. It seems that Vale is on the upper-tier of super, maybe similar to Captain Hiro or even Maxima, but she's just another oddity.

I reckon Sciona would be able to handle the majority of the Archon team in a fight. Maxima can likely one-shot her, and Dabbler probably beat her, but between magic, strength, and other tricks I reckon she could take on a few others (assuming she knows enough about their powers not to be tricked into something like punching Anvil & getting one-shotted by her, or using melee instead of magic against Math). If it was Sciona (with prep time) verses the teams sans Maxima, Dabbler, and Halo, I'd bet on Sciona. (Halo is mainly on that list for her thinking outside the box.)

So, in short (and in case I'm not making much sense), I agree that we don't have reason to think that supers as a class outclass other supernaturals. Just the top-tier ones we're seeing do things like being able to easily defeat them or easily get past top-rank defenses.

22. - Top - End - #742
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    Also, so far only Maxima has really shown herself to be superior to mystics and other supernaturals. Dabbler isn't a 'super' on top of whatever-else she is, at least as far as I know. (Though maybe she is, and we just can't tell because a super's body type is also a succubus body type.) Halo had a powerful shield that let her resist the energy drain effect we saw at the start of the Vault, but other than that we don't see her powers as better than the mages/vamps/etc--just she lucks out via plot & a combination of powers that together synergize really well. It seems that Vale is on the upper-tier of super, maybe similar to Captain Hiro or even Maxima, but she's just another oddity.

I reckon Sciona would be able to handle the majority of the Archon team in a fight. Maxima can likely one-shot her, and Dabbler probably beat her, but between magic, strength, and other tricks I reckon she could take on a few others (assuming she knows enough about their powers not to be tricked into something like punching Anvil & getting one-shotted by her, or using melee instead of magic against Math). If it was Sciona (with prep time) verses the teams sans Maxima, Dabbler, and Halo, I'd bet on Sciona. (Halo is mainly on that list for her thinking outside the box.)

So, in short (and in case I'm not making much sense), I agree that we don't have reason to think that supers as a class outclass other supernaturals. Just the top-tier ones we're seeing do things like being able to easily defeat them or easily get past top-rank defenses.
    Vale may actually be one of the most powerful traditional supers in the comic. Consider that neither Maxima - powers derived from some weird geode of presumably alien origin, Dabbler - Succubus with a whole bunch of class levels and alien technology, and Halo - powers derived from weird orbs of presumably alien origin fall into that class (in fact they all have 'alien' as part of their power set). So if Sciona, who is clearly one of the more powerful supernaturals, and Vale end up being roughly equal (this particular fight seems to be just getting started) then things are ultimately not that far apart at all.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

23. - Top - End - #743
    Troll in the Playground

Thing is, this is a narrative. If you want people to actually take a character seriously, you need to have their strengths appear on screen, not just say "but they're totally cool, guys, because [big logic chain to explain away every time they appear on screen]".

This is a bit how in Rurouni Kenshin the author insists that even though she has never actually won a match Kaoru is totally one of the best swordswomen in the country, the cast just keeps getting matched against freaks of nature. But if all you show of some people is them being dunked on by basic logic and stomped every time they are on screen, it is really hard to take them seriously. To use wrestling terms, it feel like the author is trying to build heat for Deus and the Supers by stealing it from the mystics, but without having actually built any heat for the mystics in the first place, so they just look useless and like a waste of time. Up to here everything the Council has done is dumb, and every attempt by the mystical side to show power or smarts has been thoroughly undercut and destroyed by the nonmystical side. Sciona had a big, careful, working plan, and then Deus basically Bleach-villain'd his smug face in while going "man, Sciona is so stupid" and using loopholes that aren't actually loopholes but which work in order to make sure magic looks sillier. Nothing the Council has done on screen would have led to anything but disaster without Maxima and the others there, and nothing they do actually works, to the point that for laughs they aren't even able to whisper together without the team knowing everything they say and making an unimpressed face at them.

It's just, the narrative itself doesn't seem to take these guys seriously, so if I'm asked to take them seriously, I just kinda want to call shenanigans.

24. - Top - End - #744
    Ogre in the Playground

@Drascin: Those are my thoughts too. I have trouble taking Sciona seriously if she only eats defeat.

But I also want to add that this really undermines any aspect of her being a good planner. She's showing up because she forgot something critical? That's... kind of pathetic. What, did she get so distracted by Deus she just had to pop off in a huff? And her entrance were she suddenly shows up with no apparent plan other than randomly bluster? Before she showed some decent blood magic, patience and being a reasonably competent planner.

Now she suddenly is failing all over.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

25. - Top - End - #745

She could've been distracted by the rush of having her body back when they faced off in the vault, but she has no excuse now.

26. - Top - End - #746
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

I'm curious if what she forgot was the magic item she used to regrow her body. It seemed like she purposefully left it behind after using it (which surprised me a bit). That she left it behind is emphasized by Cthilla having it.

If it was something else she forgot... well, yeah, that does seem just stupid. I get being excited to show off when you get your body back, but grab what you want before you disappear instead of making an extra dramatic moment.

27. - Top - End - #747
    Ogre in the Playground

This problem with Sciona's position as the Yamcha of GrrlPower could have also been avoided by the solution I posted some time ago when this arc began. This should have all been delayed by a significant amount of time.

Establish the Council first as this mysterious, almost illuminati-like group far removed from Archon. There is a tenuous connection, but even the higher ups don't know a lot about them. They occasionally come in and help out as a sort of last resort "nuclear" option when things get too tough for the supers, but there is always a cost each time. Build the Council up as this threatening entity that stretches everywhere and touches everything. We don't know who they are or whether or not they're even the good guys. All we know is that they're powerful.

Then Sciona comes along with her perfectly constructed plot with plans for every contingency. She effortlessly route the Council at every turn and dismantles their power structure without ever even appearing in person. It would show her as truly a force to be reckoned with. The Council has been hanging over the comic for years and this person can neat them so easily? She would be terrifying. And then, when the Council calls in the supers to help, make sure to point out that the only reason they're able to so routinely best Sciona is because they're a wild card that she never planned for. It would give everything weight and tension. As is, it's more just a huge joke.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

28. - Top - End - #748

But that would require Dave to put some effort into the plotting of the comic instead of just posting cheesecake about 20% of the time.

29. - Top - End - #749
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    But that would require Dave to put some effort into the plotting of the comic instead of just posting cheesecake about 20% of the time.
    Well don't forget the beefcake. I certainly don't.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

30. - Top - End - #750
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Heh, yeah. Based on the comic, as well as his commentaries, I get the distinct impression that he's more of a world builder than a writer. Further more, it seems like this has been a sort of pet project of his that he's been working on since long before the first page. I'll bet he's been fine tuning this world for so long that it's become a massive behemoth that I bet we've barely scratched the surface of. After so much work, he's eager to show it off, too eager. He has a museum of paintings, and he's so proud of each one that he rushes us from one to the next without giving us any time to appreciate them. He keeps introducing new elements without expanding on any of them. Like all works, it started as a puddle, but he's been making it wider and wider without any focus on depth. His world is now the size of an ocean, but it's still just as shallow as that original puddle. It may look impressive at a casual glance, but it becomes less enjoyable the more you focus on it. You can't swim in a reflection pool, after all. You can't let it wash over and engulf you like a good story should. There's plenty of potential here, but it's all, sadly, squandered by Dave's lack of restraint.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!