New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop XXX: Imperium After Dark

Why do hot-shot lasguns and laspistols cost a point each when they're stock on all storm troopers and nothing else gets them? I hate being three points under, but that might be the best I can do.

Spoiler
    Show
    Brigade Detachment, 1500 points

Company Commander - 40 (Warlord)
    -Power fist
    -Warlord trait - Inspiring Leader

Primaris Psyker - 40
    -Force staff
    -Terrifying Visions, Psychic Barrier

Tempestor Prime - 45
    -Bolt pistol, power sword

Infantry Squad - 72
    -Vox-caster
    -Lascannon, flamer

Infantry Squad - 72
    -Vox-caster
    -Lascannon, flamer

Infantry Squad - 67
    -Vox-caster
    -Autocannon, flamer

Infantry Squad - 67
    -Vox-caster
    -Autocannon, flamer

Tempestus Scions- 62
    -Two plasma guns, two hotshot lasguns, hotshot laspistol

Tempestus Scions- 62
    -Two plasma guns, two hotshot lasguns, hotshot laspistol

Command Squad - 63
    -Medi-pack, vox-caster
    -Heavy flamer, plasma gun

Commissar - 41
    -Power fist, bolt pistol

Tempestus Command Squad - 66
    -Two hotshot volley guns, hotshot lasgun, hotshot laspistol
    -Medi-pack

Hellhound - 110
    -Inferno cannon, heavy flamer

Hellhound - 110

Hellhound - 110

Heavy Weapons Squad - 72
    -Three lascannons

Leman Russ Battle Tank - 178
    -Battle cannon, three heavy bolters

Leman Russ Demolisher - 220
    -Demolisher cannon, heavy bolter, two multimeltas
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

2. - Top - End - #902
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I think I might have to do some sort of Scout/Jump Pack Marine army.

Needing to have 'the most' models on an Objective is currently doing my head in, as I can't seem to get Orks, Cultists or Guard off of any Objectives, for my 5-man Marine squads to be able to cap anything. The only 'spammable' unit that Marines have, are Scouts. My Scouts so far have been performing admirably, and Land Speeder Storms with <Fly> are getting it done. My Bike models are consistently letting me down, as models in multi-storey terrain pieces can't be Charged, and if they have even remotely decent guns (IG Heavy Weapon Squads), the guns can shoot the Bikes all day without too much reprisal. Our meta has already gone into 'Objectives have infinite height and infinite depth' mode, because that actually severely punishes people who actually like models that can't climb stairs.

So...Yeah. I'm going to try some sort of Codex Marine Scouts-in-Land Speeder Storms and Blood Angels list for the next few weeks. I really like that a Blood Angel Command Squad can <Fly> and every single one of them is equipped with a Special Weapon. More abuses of the <Fly> Keyword has actually made me realise that Inceptors aren't totally terrible, but they are still overcosted...So, wait...Yeah, they're still totally terrible.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

3. - Top - End - #903
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Needing to have 'the most' models on an Objective is currently doing my head in, as I can't seem to get Orks, Cultists or Guard off of any Objectives, for my 5-man Marine squads to be able to cap anything.
    The other two i get, but how can't you shift Cultists? They're freaking terrible now that cover doesnt work for them.

I completely agree that its a stupid way to determine Objective ownership though.
    Last edited by Blackhawk748; 2017-06-24 at 09:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

4. - Top - End - #904
    Titan in the Playground

I completely agree that its a stupid way to determine Objective ownership though.
    At the same time its hard to find a better way though. This does at least mean that troop units have some purpose.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

5. - Top - End - #905
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    At the same time its hard to find a better way though. This does at least mean that troop units have some purpose.
    No it doesnt. Orks can have a 30 boy Stormboy squads, which makes Boyz look like a joke and Guard can go spam happy on Vets, just like always. The only two armies this really affects for that is Nids (for Gaunts and Gants, though im fairly certain that Gargoyles can be in big swarms) and Chaos and their Cultists (who are now terrible as they cost more than Guard while being strictly worse)

Everyone else is still in the same boat.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #906
    Titan in the Playground

So Storm boys costs as much as regular boys? Else the point is not really invalidated.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

7. - Top - End - #907
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tome View Post
    In terms of forge world tau, the units that jumped out at me were the sensor relays, the tetras and the technical drones. The first two for markerlights, the third for healing battlesuit units. Neither seemed especially costly, though I think they may be a little less cost efficient than pathfinders or marker drones.
    Eeeer, what?

The tetras are pure trash, there is never a reason to field them (as they can't move and shoot at BS3 even without already having 3 markers involved) and 3-in-one-shot marker is the least reliable variation ever-and the cost a LOT for something so unreliable while not being all that tanky either. they are not even CLOSE to being cost effective. I find it very hard to justify fielding them, ever, considering how markerlights work now with the total lack of effect on 6 and more.

The sensor tower equally suffers from being swingy (with either 3 marks or none at all with equal chance), and the positional relay being practically worthless (as there is no stacking between that and the actual effect of markerlights)

Technical drones could be interesting, if any of the big suits were useful (though the 109 has great potential, but operating that close to enemy lines means using the drones won't be easy) the total scale from unit size to effect is rather facepalm worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cormag81 View Post
    2117: No matter how good a debater I am out of character there is no way to logically get out of falling after your paladin kills his patron god.

8. - Top - End - #908
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    The other two i get, but how can't you shift Cultists? They're freaking terrible now that cover doesnt work for them.

To be fair, it didn't work that well for them in 7th either since all it generally did was force you to bunch up in cover to ensure you had a save, thereby making you a prime target for bad ap (which was still at least 6) blasts with ignores cover.

9. - Top - End - #909
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    It isn't though. You play Orks, so let's use Boyz.
    You have a unit of 30 Boyz, let's generously say...9 of them are within 3" of the Objective. A single Space Marine walks up. One. Do you think that the Objective should be contested now?
    Another example could be to add up the number of points that the unit is worth, and add up the amounts. Except that would be needlessly tedious given that in Maelstrom there are six Objectives, and you'd have to calculate pretty much every single turn - both players'.

The most models makes sense. It's easy to figure out. However, it means that MSU is dead, and cheaper models are almost automatically better because you can have more of them with which to hold Objectives, and Objectives are how you win the game. Small, killy units, are for killing enemy models. Not for holding Objectives.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

10. - Top - End - #910
    Troll in the Playground

Trying to decide how to outfit shrikes, not worth magnatizing so need a general all around decent plan for a load out. Currently thinking boneswords w/ 2x devourers, 1x barbed strangler. Gives an okay ranged presence for getting in, plus okay punch once you get there. As a reasonably mobile synapse creature, I think a lot more value exists in the support they offer, coupled with their flexibility to get where you need them to be fast.

Any thoughts on this or alternative loadouts?
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

11. - Top - End - #911
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So now that Tomb Sentinels are good I am thinking of getting one, but I hate the model.

I was thinking of stealing a warmachine model and modifying it.

Spoiler
    Show

Take one of those, and where the little head is put a tomb blade rider inside his cage so he is driving it. Thoughts? Anything else that would help it look Necrony?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

12. - Top - End - #912
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    So Storm boys costs as much as regular boys? Else the point is not really invalidated.
    Stormboyz are 2 points more, but have over double the Movement, and can Advance and Charge without a Warboss. So any savings you are getting are spent on the Warboss to get a similar effect.

Now if you want to run Boyz, you grab a Banner Nob, a Warboss and a Warphead, cuz then them moving slower isnt a big deal, cuz they have 5 attacks hitting on 2+. Im still going with Stormboyz as they dont need Character support.

It isn't though. You play Orks, so let's use Boyz.
    You have a unit of 30 Boyz, let's generously say...9 of them are within 3" of the Objective. A single Space Marine walks up. One. Do you think that the Objective should be contested now?
    Another example could be to add up the number of points that the unit is worth, and add up the amounts. Except that would be needlessly tedious given that in Maelstrom there are six Objectives, and you'd have to calculate pretty much every single turn - both players'.

The most models makes sense. It's easy to figure out. However, it means that MSU is dead, and cheaper models are almost automatically better because you can have more of them with which to hold Objectives, and Objectives are how you win the game. Small, killy units, are for killing enemy models. Not for holding Objectives.
    This is all true, but i kinda like having MSU as an option. The problem was it was pretty much the only way to play, and so Hordes where kinda dead. Theres that GW swing again.
    Last edited by Blackhawk748; 2017-06-24 at 10:23 PM.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #913

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    Patrol Detachment - 50 Power
    You have 2 hqs and 3 troops, that's not a patrol.

Why do hot-shot lasguns and laspistols cost a point each when they're stock on all storm troopers and nothing else gets them? I hate being three points under, but that might be the best I can do.
    If your base gun costs points, it means you get a stealth discount on upgrades. Its not a penalty at all.

Otherwise Scions would be penalised when buying plasma guns because they'd be wasting the part of their points that goes towards the better base gun.

Same reason why in 7th ed upgrading sternguard to have special and heavy weapons was wasting points on special ammo.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

14. - Top - End - #914
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    So now that Tomb Sentinels are good I am thinking of getting one, but I hate the model.

I was thinking of stealing a warmachine model and modifying it.

Spoiler
    Show

Take one of those, and where the little head is put a tomb blade rider inside his cage so he is driving it. Thoughts? Anything else that would help it look Necrony?
    The weapon reminds me a bit much of an Eldar weapon. Maybe change that to some kind of big Necron gun.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

15. - Top - End - #915
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So I found how to dump on Ork Boyz; Blood Angels.

Death Company with Boltguns and Chainswords is next level. <Fly> lets them bolt whenever they feel like it, and turn right back around with full Boltguns. Chainsword gives them the +1 Attack anyway.
    Assault Marines rock face with access to double Flamers as is, then just for being Blood Angels, they also have access to Hand Flamers, which are also Pistols and can be used in Melee as well. I mean, Death Company have Hand Flamers too - but I don't have any of those.

Sanguinary Priests are real good and Orks don't have Snipers.
    So, yeah. Orks can hold Objectives forever, especially with KFFs on the board. But my Scouts-and-Jump Marines paid off in spades.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

16. - Top - End - #916
    Ogre in the Playground

So got a game in via Table Top sim (my guard vs their Eldar), we screwed up several times but that was to be expected. thoughts in no particular order:
    • Tying up a tank in melee with another tank is hilarious
    • The Sentinels were kinda useless (though it might have been bad rolling)
    • Rattlings are silly.
    • I really need to have my list printed out in front of me or I'll forget weapons.

it was an 1850 game, and my I threw the list together sorta from memory as the battlescribe update wouldn't load my original one.
    Spoiler: my list
    Show

+++ New Roster (Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition) [104 PL, 1830pts] +++

++ Unbound Army (Faction) (Imperium - Astra Militarum) [104 PL, 1830pts] ++

+ HQ +

Company Commander [3 PL, 36pts]: Boltgun, Frag grenade, Power axe

Company Commander [3 PL, 36pts]: Boltgun, Frag grenade, Power axe

+ Troops +

Infantry Squad [3 PL, 70pts]
    . 5x Guardsman: 5x Lasgun
    . Guardsman W/ Special Weapon: Grenade Launcher
    . Guardsman w/ Vox-caster: Lasgun, Vox-caster
    . Heavy Weapon Team: Lasgun, Missile launcher
    . Sergeant: Chainsword, Laspistol

+ Elites +

Ratlings [5 PL, 35pts]
    . 5x Ratling: 5x Sniper Rifle

Ratlings [5 PL, 35pts]

Ratlings [5 PL, 35pts]

Veterans [6 PL, 100pts]
    . Veteran Sergeant: Chainsword, Laspistol
    . 3x Veteran w/ Lasgun: 3x Lasgun
    . Veteran w/ Special Weapon: Grenade Launcher
    . Veteran w/ Vox-caster: Lasgun, Vox-caster
    . Veteran Weapon Team: Lasgun, Missile launcher

+ Fast Attack +

Scout Sentinels [2 PL, 50pts]
    . Scout Sentinel: Plasma Cannon
    . . Explodes!, Scout Vehicle

+ Heavy Support +

Basilisks [6 PL, 112pts]: Stat Damage (HS)
    . Explodes
    . Basilisk: Earthshaker Cannon, Heavy Bolter, Heavy Stubber

. Explodes

. Explodes

Leman Russ Demolishers [12 PL, 230pts]: Stat Damage (Leman Russ)
    . Explodes, Grinding Advance
    . Leman Russ Demolisher: Heavy Flamers, Heavy Stubber, Lascannon, Turret-mounted Demolisher Siege Cannon

. Leman Russ Demolisher: Heavy Flamers, Heavy Stubber, Lascannon, Turret-mounted Demolisher Siege Cannon

+ Dedicated Transport +

Chimera [5 PL, 97pts]: Heavy Bolter, Heavy Stubber, 2x Lasgun Arrays, Multi-laser, Stat Damage (Chimera)
    . Explodes

Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

17. - Top - End - #917

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post
    You have 2 hqs and 3 troops, that's not a patrol.
    Patrol is 1-2 HQ and 1-3 Troops. I just filled the chart. If I had my preferences I'd have made it a Battalion, but the event restrictions didn't allow me to do that. I wound up being the odd man anyway and spent the evening working on models and adjudicating.

And I know the reasoning behind making their basic guns cost a point, but it makes it nearly impossible to make a list come out even.

Anyway, the tournament pack I posted a few months ago never got used before 8th dropped, so I'm rewriting. Thoughts?

Spoiler: No Man's Land
    Show
    No Man’s Land

Several key objectives have been located in no man's land. Secure a forward command post and seize the spoils from the enemy.

The Armies
    Each player fields the 1500 point army submitted to the tournament organizer.

The Battlefield
    Use the pre-set terrain on the table for this mission.

Deployment
    Use the Dawn of War deployment type (pg 216) for this mission. The players roll off – whoever rolls highest picks one of the deployment zones on the map for their army. The opposing player uses the other deployment zone.

Starting with the player who chose their deployment zone, the players take it in turns to place 6 Objective Markers that are individually numbered 1 through 6 on the battlefield, using the rules for Using Tactical Objectives (pg 226) with the addition that the first Objective Marker each player places (markers 1 and 2, respectively) must be in his or her own deployment zone.

The players then alternate deploying their units, one at a time, starting with the player who did not pick their deployment zone. A player’s models must be set up within their own deployment zone. Continue setting up units until both sides have set up their armies.

First Turn
    When both players finish deploying, they roll off. The player that finished deploying first gains a +1 to this roll. The winner of this roll can choose to take the first or second turn. If the winner of this roll off decides to take the first turn, their opponent can roll a die; on a roll of 6, they manage to seize the initiative, and they get the first turn instead!

Tactical Objectives
    This mission uses tactical objectives (pg 226). If, at the start of a player’s turn, they have fewer than 3 active Tactical Objectives, they must generate Tactical Objectives until they have 3.

Battle Length
    The mission will last for 6 turns or the end of the full game turn that time expiration falls upon, whichever comes first.

Victory Conditions
    At the end of the game the player who has scored the most Victory Points is the winner. If both players have the same number of Victory Points, the game is a draw. In addition to achieving Tactical Objectives, victory points are achieved by the following:

Take and Hold: At the end of the game, objective markers 1 and 2 are each worth 3 victory points to the player who controls them in addition to any Tactical Objectives they may be worth.

Slay the Warlord: If the enemy Warlord has been slain during the battle, you score 1 victory point.

First Blood: The first unit, of any kind, to be destroyed during the battle is worth 1 victory point to the opposing player at the end of the game. If two or more units from opposing forces are destroyed simultaneously, then both players get 1 victory point.

Linebreaker: If, at the end of the battle, you have at least one model within the enemy’s deployment zone, you score 1 victory point.

Spoiler: Take and Hold
    Show
    Take and Hold

We must secure a landing zone close to the front for our heavy landers for a dawn assault. Use cover of darkness to seize the area and hold it until relieved.

The Armies

The Battlefield

Deployment
    Use the Hammer and Anvil deployment type (pg 217) for this mission. The players roll off – whoever rolls highest picks one of the deployment zones on the map for their army. The opposing player uses the other deployment zone.

Place 5 objective markers, one in the center of the board, one each 18” from each short table edge and 24” from each long table edge, and one 12” from each long table edge and 36” from each short table edge.

The players then alternate deploying their units, one at a time, starting with the player who did not pick their deployment zone. A player’s models must be set up within their own deployment zone. Continue setting up units until both sides have set up their armies.

First Turn
    When both players finish deploying, they roll off. The player that finished deploying first gains a +1 to this roll. The winner of this roll can choose to take the first or second turn. If the winner of this roll off decides to take the first turn, their opponent can roll a die; on a roll of 6, they manage to seize the initiative, and they get the first turn instead!

Battle Length
    The mission will last for 6 turns or the end of the full game turn that time expiration falls upon, whichever comes first.

Victory Conditions
    At the end of the game the player who has scored the most Victory Points is the winner. If both players have the same number of Victory Points, the game is a draw. Victory points are achieved for the following:

Area Control: Each objective is worth one Victory Point to the player who holds it at the end of each full game turn, with the exception of the objectives in the deployment zones, which are worth two Victory Points at the end of every game turn if held by the player whose deployment zone they are not in.

Slay the Warlord: If the enemy Warlord has been slain during the battle, you score 1 victory point.

First Blood: The first unit, of any kind, to be destroyed during the battle is worth 1 victory point to the opposing player at the end of the game. If two or more units from opposing forces are destroyed simultaneously, then both players get 1 victory point.

Linebreaker: If, at the end of the battle, you have at least one model within the enemy’s deployment zone, you score 1 victory point.

Mission Special Rules
    Battlezone: Night Fight (pg 252) with the exception of Mysterious Objectives.

Spoiler: Victory Goes to the Biggest Guns
    Show
    Victory Goes to the Biggest Guns

We must force an end to this stalemate. Dispatch your heaviest units to the front and force a breakthrough.

The Armies

The Battlefield

Deployment
    Use the Search and Destroy deployment type (pg 216) for this mission. The players roll off – whoever rolls highest picks one of the deployment zones on the map for their army. The opposing player uses the other deployment zone.

Starting with the player who chose their deployment zone, the players take it in turns to place 6 Objective Markers that are individually numbered 1 through 6 on the battlefield, using the rules for Using Tactical Objectives (pg 226)

First Turn

Tactical Objectives
    This mission uses tactical objectives (pg 226). If, at the start of a player’s turn, they have fewer than 3 active Tactical Objectives, they must generate Tactical Objectives until they have 3.

Battle Length

Victory Conditions
    At the end of the game the player who has scored the most Victory Points is the winner. If both players have the same number of Victory Points, the game is a draw. In addition to achieving Tactical Objectives, victory points are achieved by the following:

Key Positions: At the end of the game, each objective marker is worth 1 Victory Point to the player who controls it (in addition to any Tactical Objective it may grant). A player controls an objective marker if they have more models within 3” of the center of it than their opponent. However, if only one player has models from a Heavy Support unit within 3” of the center of an objective marker, they control it regardless of the number of nearby enemy models. This applies both at the end of and during the game.

Destroy the Big Guns: At the end of the game, each player receives 1 victory point for each enemy Heavy Support unit that has been completely destroyed.

"Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

18. - Top - End - #918
    Troll in the Playground

Since moving quick and being able to fly out of assault to charge in again is so important, what about massed triarch praetorians for necrons? 8 power for 5 or 35 apiece for a 10" move, strength 5, toughness 5, 2 wound model that will never fail a leadership roll and has reanimation protocols.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

19. - Top - End - #919
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Had my first game of 8th edition yesterday.

It was my brave Tau vs. Khorne Demons. We decided to use power to get the game running fast, and just did a kill points game to test out the rules.

Tau
    Spoiler
    Show

Commander, 3x Missiles, ATS 6
    Shadowsun 9
    Darkstrider 3

Stealth Suits, Fusion, 2 ATS, DC, Drones 7
    Stealth Suits, Fusion, 2 ATS, DC, Drones 7

Kroot 3
    Strikers w/turret 5
    Strikers 5
    Breachers 5

Demons
    Spoiler
    Show

Blood Leader Guy

Blood Letters blob

10 Khorne Hounds
    10 Khorne Hounds

6 Blood crushers

We grabbed a table that had some terrain already on it, including some los-blocking ruins.

We both pretty much deployed on the line, good idea for him, not such a good idea for me. Most of my stuff was on one side across from the bloodcrushers, aside from one stealth team on the other side of the board.

First turn he moved up all his stuff, since he had no ranged weapons. I called Kayon with my commander who was in the middle of my firewarriors, and the combined fire of him, the firewarriors, shadowsun, and one stealth team wiped out the blood crushers. The other stealth team plinked at the hounds by them, while the Kroot moved up to the middle of the board to shoot and charge the hounds there. That turned out to be a bad idea when the hounds murderized them in return.

His turn 2 he summoned a bloodthirster. (Remember we were doing power, and apparently summoning is free... and he rolled a 17 on 3d6 to be able to do it.) The bloodthirster and bloodletters managed to charge shadowsun and her drones, while the hounds that murderized my kroot charged my stealth suits that were hanging out with my main force. I was worried I was done there, but my brave little drones munched up his attacks, in particular shadowsun's drones making several invlun saves vs. the bloodthirster.

Then on my turn, I managed to jump back. Shadowsun dropped 10 wounds off the bloodthrister by herself, my commander got it down to 2, and the rest of my army wiped out the bloodletters.

In the end, I won kill points 7 to 5, after dealing with an unending horde of re-summoned hounds.

Lessons:

Darkstrider is as awesome as I expected. Particularly with breachers they have no fear of getting stuck in combat as long as he survives. (though he is rather squishy if he gets caught)

Using command re-rolls on fusion damage felt like the right choice.

Missile pod commander is great.

Stealth suits are fun.

Drones taking hits makes your suits surprisingly tanky.

20. - Top - End - #920
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

As I understood it, the rules that say 'Summoning is treated as reinforcements' meant that if spent out on points for his list, he'd have no room left to summon anything additional. It's not 'free' so much as an alternative deployment method with flexibility in what you bring in.

21. - Top - End - #921
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    Since moving quick and being able to fly out of assault to charge in again is so important, what about massed triarch praetorians for necrons? 8 power for 5 or 35 apiece for a 10" move, strength 5, toughness 5, 2 wound model that will never fail a leadership roll and has reanimation protocols.
    You can't leave combat and Charge in the same turn. That's not why <Fly> is good. You'll notice that when I talked about it, I was mentioning mass Boltgun fire and models with Flamers.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2017-06-25 at 05:48 PM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

22. - Top - End - #922
    Troll in the Playground

I feel like you answered your own question.
    So get a judicator battalion, got it.

The question then becomes what HQ to run, Necrons don't have a single flying HQ. Maybe a CCB?

Edit: So, a quickly done roster-

Spoiler
    Show
    ++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (Necrons) [58 PL, 1254pts] ++

+ HQ +

Catacomb Command Barge [10 PL, 204pts]: Resurrection Orb, Staff of Light, Tesla Cannon

+ Elites +

Triarch Praetorians [16 PL, 350pts]: Rod of Covenant, 10x Triarch Praetorian

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Necrons) [36 PL, 742pts] ++

+ HQ +

Cryptek [6 PL, 104pts]: Staff of Light

Overlord [7 PL, 119pts]: Staff of Light

+ Troops +

Necron Warriors [6 PL, 120pts]: 10x Necron Warrior

+ Fast Attack +

Tomb Blades [5 PL, 159pts]
    . Tomb Blade: Shadowloom, Shieldvanes
    . . Two Gauss Blasters: 2x Gauss Blaster

++ Total: [94 PL, 1996pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

My only worry is that's kinda lacking in the heavy punching department, relying on the Praetorians to kinda jump and smack anything. I could drop the Blades for an Ani-Barge, but the Barge seems kinda meh in this edition.
    Last edited by Turalisj; 2017-06-25 at 05:54 PM.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

23. - Top - End - #923
    Barbarian in the Playground

The question then becomes what HQ to run, Necrons don't have a single flying HQ. Maybe a CCB?
    What about the Destroyer Lord? Has the same 10" flying movement rate, and T6 with 6 wounds and a 4++ makes him durable even by necron standards. Jumping in and out of combat suits his regen-d3 wounds a turn ability nicely too.

My only worry is that's kinda lacking in the heavy punching department, relying on the Praetorians to kinda jump and smack anything. I could drop the Blades for an Ani-Barge, but the Barge seems kinda meh in this edition.
    Destroyers for that as well? Regular ones look pretty great, carrying D3 damage guns and 3 wounds each means they don't instantly die to damage 2 plasma. Heavy Destroyers are even better, with math-hammer suggesting they are the most efficient death-dealers against multi-wound units that the necrons get. And if you're taking a Destroyer Lord anyway...
    Looking back on sanity from the other side, and laughing really loudly

"In the whole of oWOD, there are only five normal people not somehow tied to the great supernatural conspiracy, and three of them were Elvis."
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tygre View Post
    If Ravenloft has taught me anything, darkness only makes the stars shine brighter.
    Bowl of Petunias avatar by Rincewind

24. - Top - End - #924
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So get a judicator battalion, got it.
    While you were writing that post, I completely changed my answer. You're actually better off with Scarabs or Flayed Ones. Praetorians take the place of Terminators, and you shouldn't be spamming those.

Necrons don't have a single flying HQ.
    Yes they do (in fact they have two!) and I can already tell you that they're awesome.

ION; So GW just introduced LOYALIST Marines with skull-face masks because Massive Edgelords only play Dark Eldar or Night Lords, and not Space Marines. So now if I get some, I have to paint them black and field them alongside Sisters of Silence with pink and/or blue hair (The M'Ladies). Also, I'll model their swords into Katanas, and the one that isn't in a helmet obviously has to wear a fedora. They might just be the dumbest models I've seen in a while, and I don't say that a lot about GW miniatures.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2017-06-25 at 08:05 PM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

25. - Top - End - #925

Definitely taking the Night Fight rules out of the second mission. The guys who tested it were completely bogged down by not being able to hit anything.

ION; So GW just introduced LOYALIST Marines with skull-face masks because Massive Edgelords only play Dark Eldar or Night Lords, and not Space Marines.
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...ffeb3c3fc6.jpg ?
    Last edited by Renegade Paladin; 2017-06-25 at 08:58 PM.

26. - Top - End - #926
    Titan in the Playground

Definitely taking the Night Fight rules out of the second mission. The guys who tested it were completely bogged down by not being able to hit anything.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...ffeb3c3fc6.jpg ?
    Yes but thats just Chaplains, not the entire army. Frankly a whole army with skull helmets feels...silly.

Also pics of the particular models would be nice.
    Last edited by Blackhawk748; 2017-06-25 at 09:08 PM.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #927
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Yeah. But you can't make UNITS out of Chaplains, and Chaplains aren't even that good to begin with.
    What you're about to see - judging by the Fast Attack logo on the shoulder pads - is that the stupidly named 'Rievers' - yes, that appears to be the name - are super-stealth ninja assassins. Now, while that's great for Night Lords - who specifically have a Primarch that's basically a Batman/Joker hybrid, and are explicitly The Bad Guys - and for Culexus Assassins that are...Anti-Life. But, for Ultramarines, it's not great.

I read that they look eerily similar to something Call of Duty has, and that maybe GW is trying to tap that crowd.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2017-06-25 at 09:08 PM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

28. - Top - End - #928
    Ogre in the Playground

ION; So GW just introduced LOYALIST Marines with skull-face masks because Massive Edgelords only play Dark Eldar or Night Lords, and not Space Marines. So now if I get some, I have to paint them black and field them alongside Sisters of Silence with pink and/or blue hair (The M'Ladies). Also, I'll model their swords into Katanas, and the one that isn't in a helmet obviously has to wear a fedora. They might just be the dumbest models I've seen in a while, and I don't say that a lot about GW miniatures.
    Looks like a Chaplain.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

29. - Top - End - #929
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

inb4 Halo: Reach; Emile had personality, and was also only one guy.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2017-06-25 at 09:10 PM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

30. - Top - End - #930
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah. But you can't make UNITS out of Chaplains, and Chaplains aren't even that good to begin with.
    What you're about to see - judging by the Fast Attack logo on the shoulder pads - is that the stupidly named 'Rievers' - yes, that appears to be the name - are super-stealth ninja assassins. Now, while that's great for Night Lords - who specifically have a Primarch that's basically a Batman/Joker hybrid, and are explicitly The Bad Guys - and for Culexus Assassins that are...Anti-Life. But, for Ultramarines, it's not great.

I read that they look eerily similar to something Call of Duty has, and that maybe GW is trying to tap that crowd.
    Oh god its those. I saw them on /tg/ but i hadnt seen it anywhere else so i wasn't sure. Ya, those are dumb.

Ghost.....did they seriously model Space Marines after Ghost from Modern Warfare 2?

Heres the pic Ya, not impressed and they do look like Ghost, and that actually annoys me.

Edit: Also its 'I before E except after C' GW. So Change. The. Freaking. Spelling.

Spoiler: Ghost from MW2 if you don't know
    Show

Last edited by Blackhawk748; 2017-06-25 at 09:14 PM.
    Show