New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: OOTS #1076 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    The Giant announced that he was taking steps to resolve the Smurfette syndrome of the OotS by having introduced a new female main character. I suspect that'd be Bandana. If so, she's probably here to stay.

Jasdoif, would you mind digging up the relevant quote?

Thanks in advance,

Grey Wolf
    Though, one should note, having even more female characters would eliminate said syndrome even more.
    And the giantess, was not shown dying.
    Perhaps it's all understood, but I was in the camp that Belkar was toast during his fall, and the glow was just his protection from evil trinket. And I was wrong then.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 8BitNinja View Post
    Cool plan, but it kind of doesn't make sense. Civilian ships had weapons on them, so removing them wouldn't decrease suspicion.

But then again, my proof are letters from 18th century American leaders, so I'm guessing they won't help with a fictional universe.

Maybe different regulations are put on ships than in real life? But if there are, how are ships in this world supposed to protect themselves from pirates? Do civilian ships have to assemble a military convoy every time they embark?
    Let me put it this way: you walk around with a 38, you're a guy with a gun.

You you walk around with a 38, two rifles, one shotgun, one sub-machine gun, two bandoliers with ammo and four knives, people ask questions.
    Last edited by The_Weirdo; 2017-06-16 at 07:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Weirdo... I'm not sure you're entirely clear on how an 'alliance' works.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Roy: No time for another subplot, we got a world to save.
    Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    "Just because the DM lets you break the game, doesn't mean the game is broken."
    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post
    "My Patron is Steven Spielberg"
    Quote Originally Posted by CNagy View Post
    For some reason this feels really fitting; I got a mental image of a bunch of psions setting up a LAN party.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Barbarian in the Playground

I understand the need to go all Vin Diesel and wait for the last moment before showing the trick that solves the situation, but activating a vertical boost (leaving aside the fact that I'm still wondering why the ship doesn't tilt) with the ballistas still up there, seems like a big waste of energy (therefore, of fuel), which is spent to increase the ballistas' potential energy, which, eventually, just translates in a louder "CRACK" when they reach floor zero.

Of course, being Scoundrel's ship, maybe if you do something a la Vin Diesel, that gives you a bonus in fuel big enough to compensate.

On a side note: this is the first time that I read "zoom zoom" used in place of "zip it/shush/leave it alone". My collection of slang terms is steadily increasing, reading this comic.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Halfling in the Playground

ClericGirl

I got to admit part of me is disappointed that the mutinous crew doesn't get to face the Wrath of the Order and lose their promised bonus. But I think Bandana is making the right choice not throwing her crew under a bus. Her loyalty is to them, not the Order. And Roy is making the right choice not to ask too many questions and stopping Elan from asking them, which must be hard personally considering he lost his precious sword.

Mind you, it may still come out. They still have to find Haley, V and Belkar who may want to know why the ship sailed away from them. No guarantee they'll all take the: "Don't ask" approach Roy is going with.

Yeah, the Mechane are going regret losing their weapons, but I don't see they had another choice right now. Nice work, Andi, nice work...

6. - Top - End - #96
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Wildroses View Post
    I got to admit part of me is disappointed that the mutinous crew doesn't get to face the Wrath of the Order and lose their promised bonus. But I think Bandana is making the right choice not throwing her crew under a bus. Her loyalty is to them, not the Order. And Roy is making the right choice not to ask too many questions and stopping Elan from asking them, which must be hard personally considering he lost his precious sword.

Mind you, it may still come out. They still have to find Haley, V and Belkar who may want to know why the ship sailed away from them. No guarantee they'll all take the: "Don't ask" approach Roy is going with.

Yeah, the Mechane are going regret losing their weapons, but I don't see they had another choice right now. Nice work, Andi, nice work...
    To be fair, even if Bandana did throw her crew under the bus, what exactly would the Order do?

"Okay, now you're not getting paid for this!"
    "Oh, okay, now we're flying somewhere else that isn't certain death. Hope you heroes can find your own way to Plot Mountain."

7. - Top - End - #97

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Zero View Post
    On a side note: this is the first time that I read "zoom zoom" used in place of "zip it/shush/leave it alone". My collection of slang terms is steadily increasing, reading this comic.
    "Zoom" is an onomatopoeia for the sound a car makes, so it has connotations of movement. Roy's continuing his "let's just keep moving" thought. In and of itself, "zoom" isn't related to being quiet.

8. - Top - End - #98

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    To be fair, even if Bandana did throw her crew under the bus, what exactly would the Order do?

"Okay, now you're not getting paid for this!"
    "Oh, okay, now we're flying somewhere else that isn't certain death. Hope you heroes can find your own way to Plot Mountain."
    If this forum allowed upvoting I would upvote the hell out of this. Plot Mountain, lol.

9. - Top - End - #99

BarbarianGuy

Zoom zoom nudge nudge wink wink say no more say no more
    The Giant
    There are no mistakes, because there are no rules. NONE. No, not even that one.

10. - Top - End - #100

Quote Originally Posted by ORione View Post
    "Zoom" is an onomatopoeia for the sound a car makes, so it has connotations of movement. Roy's continuing his "let's just keep moving" thought. In and of itself, "zoom" isn't related to being quiet.
    Oh, got it: so more "let's move on" instead of "shush". Thanks.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I, too, hate when side characters start acting like they matter to the story.
    I don't mind when side characters act as, you know, independent characters, but this arc has had a dreadful tendency to completely remove a significant portion of the main cast from the forefront of the action. Durkon, who struggles to stand out on a good day, has been almost nonexistent this arc, and its supposed to be the arc that develops him as a character! And just recently, Roy and the rest of the Order has only really shown up to highlight the problems being caused by Andi's mutiny, which in itself is only serving to create an obstacle that is (thus far) unnecessary both narratively and literally, because the Mechane literally travels at the speed of plot.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

I understand the need to go all Vin Diesel and wait for the last moment before showing the trick that solves the situation, but activating a vertical boost (leaving aside the fact that I'm still wondering why the ship doesn't tilt) with the ballistas still up there, seems like a big waste of energy (therefore, of fuel), which is spent to increase the ballistas' potential energy, which, eventually, just translates in a louder "CRACK" when they reach floor zero.
    Unless Bandana didn't want to ditch the ballistas if she didn't have to.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Quibblicious View Post
    Excellent! The Mechane is full of cool features.
    Basically, this was the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang/James Bond's car moment for the story. Well, another one. Ian Fleming would be pleased.

I loved Roy reading between the lines and moving to shut Elan up before he did the same... out loud

GW
    Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    ETA: Points to Roy for being smart enough to recognize now is not the time to ask questions , to shut up and move on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Basement Cat View Post
    Naturally Elan would pick up on missed plot twists but Roy's got his eye on the ball.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gitman00 View Post
    This whole mini-arc was an excellent showcase of Roy's increasing maturity...
    Quote Originally Posted by ORione View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Quester View Post
    And well recognized by Roy that this is the time for not asking questions and moving on. Except that "did we make U-turn?" is very relevant to the issue of moving back to where we were when Roy's Sword went overboard.
    My read of this was different. It seems entirely in-line with Roy's ability to not see the concerns of NPCs as relevant to his story. "Thinks the whole campaign revolves around him." I don't think it was a character growth moment, but rather it was entirely in-character for him to ignore the subtext of Bandana's response (and shut up Elan). Yes, this means Roy is focused on his goal of stopping the destruction of the world, but it also means he is too focused and misses details.

This also means Bandana isn't complaining to their high-level adventurer passengers in an effort to get them to enforce her position of authority over the crew. Bandana is doing well to try to gain her crew's trust back with her actions. I do think this could become part of a conversation with Haley, later, when they're nearly at their destination.
    Last edited by KillingAScarab; 2017-06-16 at 09:44 PM.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ettin in the Playground

Andi's "But--" is absolutely not hinting at anything possibly going wrong, but at her being woefully lacking in knowledge about the ship she thinks she understands. I'd wager $5000 real dollars on that, if I had that.

Wonderful! Wonderful resolution to this part of the arc and great art to boot!

Only one loose end ... what about the sword? We need it.

Minor nitpick: It's " Aye Aye , Captain!" Not "Yes, Captain". Yes is what landlubbers say. "Aye aye" means "I understand and will comply".
    It's Andi. We're lucky she's smart enough to comprehend at the level of a landlubber.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

15. - Top - End - #105

Flumph

For those who don't have Snips, Snails, & Dragon Tales,

Spoiler
    Show
    the ballistae were installed on the Mechane for the Soggy Biscuit War. In the epsiode depicted in that book, Curse of the Mummy Queen, the ship does not have them
    Curated Thread: Gazetteer of the Stick

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SSGW Priest View Post
    Now that the immediate fight is over, how soon does it click for that his sword is in one of an infinite number of snow banks?
    About the time Vaarsuvius, Haley, and Belkar show up with his sword, I would guess. Searching snow doesn't seem like the kind of plot Rich usually writes.

Quote Originally Posted by ManuelSacha View Post
    That was an amazing trick, but if she studied under Julio, she should know that Rule of Drama will make it absolutely necessary for them to have ballistas later on.
    But she will still get them there in the nick of time.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverCacaobean View Post
    Roy wisely understands that he's better off not knowing the specifics. All this time with Elan has taught him something after all
    Is today the day he's been dreaming of? Has he finally learned to stop asking questions to which he will regret learning the answers?

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by various
    Bet about if dropping the ballista will have consequences beyond disarmament
    I'll throw my pretend Internet money in on the "no" side. It doesn't make sense from a Watsonian or Doylist perspective, which is always a bad sign.
    Watsonian: Judging by the sound effects of the quick-release levers, it looks like the quick-release levers were little more than specialized giant crowbars. It seems unlikely that anything odd would have been hooked up to them in the meantime (even if Andi felt like fiddling with levers she didn't understand/know about). Given the placement of the turrets, it doesn't seem likely that anything significant would have been added to the outside, either.
    Doylist: These past few strips have been an "arc" for Andi. At first she wants to captain the ship, but when she gets a chance, she doesn't know what she's doing and steers the ship into disaster. She learns to listen to Bandana, who does know how to captain and gets them out of that disaster. Having Bandana bring them into comparable or greater disaster would completely negate that whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    For me, the way Andi went wide-eyed and "What?!?! But-" seems like it's setting up some information she really should have brought up more quickly and insistently.
    To me, that seemed more like shock on Andi's part that she didn't know everything about the ship. Drop "about the ship," and you have the lesson Andi should have learned from all of this.

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Shows that Andi doesn't really know the whole ship - possibly just the engine room. Whereas Bandanna knows the whole ship, and all its secrets.
    Sometimes, study and practice give the best knowledge. Sometimes, though, it can't hold a candle to living around it your whole life.

Quote Originally Posted by 8BitNinja View Post
    -snip-
    I would think the more salient point would be the half-dozen ballista-turret-shaped holes in the sides of the airship and the splintered remains of ballista turrets on the ground below.

Still ... perhaps I'm wrong, but IIRC guns or ballistae are not the most important thing about a pirate ship. You're not trying to sink your targets, after all, but to capture them for looting.
    You're right, but that might not be as true for sky pirates. It's a lot easier to recover loot from a crashed airship than a sunken seaship.

Quote Originally Posted by ManuelSacha View Post
    That was an amazing trick, but if she studied under Julio, she should know that Rule of Drama will make it absolutely necessary for them to have ballistas later on.
    Bandana seems like the type of captain who would be less concerned with the Rule of Drama than the Rule of Gravity. One of those might endanger the Mechane in the future, the other is endangering it right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SSGW Priest View Post
    Now that the immediate fight is over, how soon does it click for that his sword is in one of an infinite number of snow banks?
    I'm no D&D expert, but wouldn't that be solvable via:

Locate Object, Bugsby's Hand?

Or possibly even Mage Hand (along with Detect Magic (it is a magical sword, per Eugene) and Lighten Object), though it would be uncharacteristically planned of him. Or, if they can get close enough, Returning Weapon?
    Last edited by drazen; 2017-06-16 at 09:19 PM.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

Damn, four pages late? I'm getting slow...

Also, great comic!
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillingAScarab View Post
    My read of this was different. It seems entirely in-line with Roy's ability to not see the concerns of NPCs as relevant to his story. "Thinks the whole campaign revolves around him." I don't think it was a character growth moment, but rather it was entirely in-character for him to ignore the subtext of Bandana's response (and shut up Elan). Yes, this means Roy is focused on his goal of stopping the destruction of the world, but it also means he is too focused and misses details.
    That reading does not match the haste with which Roy shuts Elan up, nor the "glad it's handled [...] say no more". Those are not the acts of someone that doesn't care, but one that knows **** went down between a boss and her subordinates, and knows it is not his place to reopen whatever wounds have just been stitched closed.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Weirdo View Post
    Let me put it this way: you walk around with a 38, you're a guy with a gun.

You you walk around with a 38, two rifles, one shotgun, one sub-machine gun, two bandoliers with ammo and four knives, people ask questions.
    Questions like "What can we do for you, sir?" And "Is there any way we can make your stay more pleasant?" :D

At least if they know what's bad for them.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

22. - Top - End - #112
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

I enjoyed this a lot. Zoom. Zoom. Time to reunite with the rest of the Order of the Stick. Get Roy's family sword and clear those mountains. Maybe fight a white dragon on the way. I suspect that some repairs and securing more "lift gas" are going to be necessary as well.

23. - Top - End - #113

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Unless Bandana didn't want to ditch the ballistas if she didn't have to.
    Yes, possible.
    Probably not because they can afford another battle, given the shape of the airship which was close to break down, but because the Twelve Gods know how much those thing cost for each one of them.
    Probably way more than the 200gp the members of the crew have accepted as reward.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Pixie in the Playground

Unlurk....

My expectation is that the Bandanna/Andi relationship is not going to end with "Look, this is how it's done", but rather that after Bandanna is killed/leaves to join the OOTS/something unexpected Andi demonstrates that she has learnt from Andi both "how it's done", and some humility, and hence is able to step up and become a more collegiate (probably temporary) captain in extremis.

A really good leader not only leads well, but enables other to do the same.

Thoughts?

25. - Top - End - #115
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by stsasser View Post
    Zoom zoom nudge nudge wink wink say no more say no more
    Don't blink.
    When in doubt, set it on fire, right?

26. - Top - End - #116
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by BriarHobbit View Post
    I suspect that some repairs and securing more "lift gas" are going to be necessary as well.
    You mean Helium?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

27. - Top - End - #117

OldWizardGuy

Called the dumping of two giants and one boulder. Woo!

Also, now that they are out of ballistārum, how are they going to backstab anybody who needs backstabbing?

Minor nitpick: It's " Aye Aye , Captain!" Not "Yes, Captain". Yes is what landlubbers say. "Aye aye" means "I understand and will comply".
    So what is the formula for “I do *not* understand but will comply”? “Uh, yes, Captain” seems appropriate.

Of course, being Scoundrel's ship, maybe if you do something a la Vin Diesel, that gives you a bonus in fuel big enough to compensate.
    Of course it does. It’s called diesel fuel.
    Last edited by Centaur; 2017-06-21 at 09:42 AM.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ettin in the Playground

The Giant announced that he was taking steps to resolve the Smurfette syndrome of the OotS by having introduced a new female main character. I suspect that'd be Bandana. If so, she's probably here to stay.

Jasdoif, would you mind digging up the relevant quote?

Thanks in advance,

Grey Wolf
    I don't think that's quite what he said. There's a quote from Rich that if he had to do it all over again, he'd include another woman in the main cast; the tweet Jasdoif found also says there will be a strong female lead for this arc (but he also explicitly says that character will not be as important as the core six). I'm assuming he's talking about Bandana. (A few people have suggested Lien, but she's barely present in this book; she might have an expanded role in the final book, but we haven't seen that happen yet.)

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    I don't think that's quite what he said. There's a quote from Rich that if he had to do it all over again, he'd include another woman in the main cast; the tweet Jasdoif found also says there will be a strong female lead for this arc (but he also explicitly says that character will not be as important as the core six). I'm assuming he's talking about Bandana. (A few people have suggested Lien, but she's barely present in this book; she might have an expanded role in the final book, but we haven't seen that happen yet.)
    It is literally six books too late to introduce a character that can become as important as the ones already members of OotS. No matter how important B becomes from now on, and no matter how much character development she is given, she cannot become as important as the established main characters. That is, unless suddenly she becomes the center of everything, but that's usually terrible writing and I don't think Rich is intending to try to pull it off.

So yes, the quote I had in mind is the one Jadoif presented, and it is still sufficient to back-up my explanation of why Bandana is getting so much attention.

That said, fair enough, I should probably not refer to B as a main character. I just also don't want to refer to her as a secondary character, because she's more than that. 1.5-y character , maybe?

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

30. - Top - End - #120
    Colossus in the Playground

"Major" maybe.

Miko and Celia were "Major" characters but not main characters.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele