New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default The World At Your Feet (IC)

As though the Material Plane is a ballooning pit at the heart of a plum the sky mellows from what was first a vivid and forceful red into the calm yellow-pink of twilight that settles into a deep and rich violet dusk. The tall stone walls of fortified Amaranth stand cold against the sky casting shadows onto the poorer residential districts tucked into the west, who were hit with the earliest rays from the east. At this distance no building however tall and broad diminishes the advance of the morning light, not the Magistrate's manor on the northeastern hill by the start of the Market Mile which cuts from the main gate at the southeast of the city and dwindles off somewhere in the northwest, nor the rising spire of the haphazard castle that is Paracelsus Academy across the Market Mile on the south side of the city surrounded by ornate metal fencing laced with mysterious runes. A furnace runs somewhere, a line of wispy black smoke stretching into the sky to meet the solid white clouds overhead.

The sounds of the city never stop, not entirely. To the attuned ear the sound of a guard's metal sabatons clinking against the cobblestones speaks volumes to just how many steps the lazy man took before leaning against a building, failing to look busy and engaged. In the distance the sound of the Market Mile closing up shop echoes through the alleys in the lines of buildings. Permanent structures and establishments are locking their doors while impermanent stalls clatter as wooden braces are taken down, cloth ceilings folded, and the whole ramshackle operation along with unsold merchandise is loaded into a wagon and taken away for safekeeping through the night. On a better-traveled road a guard walks by poles of black iron, pulling on a firm metal cable at each to unwind a shutter exposing a heatless yellow flame burning eternally in a dusty glass sphere and illuminating the streets with a flickering torchlight. Tallow candles burn in only a few windows, save for the brighter lights of wall-mounted sconces shining out from the various taverns which are boisterous and bustling at any time of the day, even in the more run-down residential area in spite of (or perhaps due to) the lower wealth of the patrons occupying it.

Those that do not turn to drink in times of need turn to prayer, and many of the smaller churches to less venerated gods make their home in this region of the city. Atop a temple of Ehlonna a twisted and lacquered wooden spire evocative of the horn of a unicorn points skyward from its roof. The building is not made of planks and nails or brick and mortar, but instead of distinctly Elvish influence in that the seeds of the building were planted in the very unpaved earth and influenced with judicious applications of the Plant Growth spell to weave into a tiered dome. The inside is furnished with carpets of moss and wicker furniture of thin sticks grown out from the body of the tree for parishioners to sit at while they discus or receive a preaching, and hammocks of woven leaves and vines form ergonomic bedding for the temple's visitors further up in the dome. The temple stands out from Amaranth's urban aesthetic quite drastically, and most who are not among Ehlonna's flock consider it unnecessarily bohemian. It's a cost-saver, considering that the church doesn't get too much by way of modern currency in tithes, but the impact on the surrounding community is undeniable. In the outskirts and farming towns of rural Magnalia the church of Ehlonna is widely praised for ensuring a good harvest which much of the urbanites take for granted, and it's rare that some member of the rural community isn't in the temple paying thanks for efforts of the priests or issuing a request for a blessing.

It is in this very temple that an unlikely crew from various walks all find themselves settling after a day of work to rest. It is a trying time and tiring work. The arcanists Lorxa and Roam find themselves stymied by red tape - after a few seemingly promising discussions and an inordinate amount of paperwork the inscrutable bureaucracy of Paracelsus Academy has tacitly informed you that it's not altogether eager to blithely allow you access to its repository of knowledge, not without something of equal value to donate to the university in trade. And seeing as how you don't know precisely the value of the information you seek you have not been able to sufficiently offer anything that the university would consider. The naturalists Geoffrey and Meira have taken an effort to proselytize the word of Ehlonna and the benefits of adopting a lifestyle closer to the natural world, but to little avail. Many who live in the city, Human and Elf and Dwarf alike, have never known a different life and wave off the notion that anything but a system where a community of those with different skills rely upon each other and pay each other proportionately to the worth of those skills is sustainable.
    "Nature and the wild," they say, "is chaos where beasts fight for themselves and their own. We're civilized here."
    Even some of the more recent immigrants into Magnalia share these sentiments, oftentimes Elves and Dwarves who did face the harsh reality of living in a world that doesn't belong to them and paid a price for it.
    "We respected Nature because we feared her. The Humans grabbed Nature by the throat and choked the life out of her. And it worked out pretty well for them. Would that we had done it first."

The smuggler Liag is also finding frustration, but it's more of a concern that's growing. His operation by the canals at the southern gate had been going well enough, keeping him in better luxury than most of his kind who made their home in this district. As long as it remained profitable for himself and for the city it was allowed to continue. But business was drying up. Less and less he received word by letter or Animal Messenger that a delivery was on its way, fewer and fewer merchants entered the city through his gates. Maybe word's getting out that life in the city isn't all that great even for a skilled artisan and there's less desire to travel, maybe the guards are starting to come down harder on people outside of the system, maybe a new and cheaper smuggling route has opened up somewhere in the city that Liag doesn't know about, or maybe conditions in the other continents or on the roads are limiting travel. Between the cut to the Thieves' Guild and the odd bribe, Liag is finding it hard to so much as break even. The boss of the Thieves' Guild himself with whom Liag had originally made the arrangement of his business, a Human named Mardel Dint with sharp features, slick black hair, and dark leather armor appeared before Liag three days ago. Mardel let Liag know in no uncertain terms that if Liag was going to have trouble keeping himself afloat figuratively then he was going to have trouble keeping himself afloat literally, and the Guild was going to have to recoup its losses by setting the guards loose to confiscate all smuggled goods from the people that Liag had helped enter the city, wiping them off the map financially. Mardel is hotheaded and spiteful, and Liag isn't in a great position to argue that he can't control unknown environmental factors.

It is in this dejected state that the group finds themselves preparing for the evening, as it has been for the past week or so. Without a plan all five of them are going to end up penniless at best. The plight of the surrounding city feels uncomfortably real at this moment.

Player Character Race and Class Color
    Gloryblaze Geoffrey Oathorn Human Ranger/Cleric Turquoise
    Space Lawyer Liag Herresson Half-Elf Rogue/Fighter Purple
    Fishybugs Meira Sarmaer Wood Elf Druid Blue
    UristMcRandom Roam Tiefling Druid/Warlock Plum
    Tieren Lorxa Calseussi Firbolg Artificer Dark Orange

OoC
    Last edited by Nettlekid; 2017-08-04 at 10:59 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The World At Your Feet (IC)

Meira Sarmaer
    Fifth level Druid

The young elven woman stood at a window, looking out over the bustling city of Amaranth, jewel of the human lands. She twirls a lock of her long brown hair in one finger as she contemplates the view. Her thoughtful face showed some disappointment, whether it was in herself or the city was uncertain. After a few minutes, she finally moves toward her cot and sits on the edge of it, looking at the eclectic group of people surrounding her.

"It's going to be alright, guys. Something will present itself." It didn't help that Meira had stated some version of these words each of the past three nights. The ever-chipper elf even almost sounded like she didn't believe herself after this time.
    Last edited by Fishybugs; 2017-08-04 at 02:39 PM.
    Jophine Dustwallow avatar by Shades of Gray

Spoiler: Other Avatar
    Show

Avatar: Tarina Davenledge, Cleric of Mishakal by Gorgon_Heap

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateWench

Geoffrey Oathorn
    First Level Cleric, Fourth Level Ranger

A young human, his shoulder-length hair a sandy brown, kneels at the altar at the fore of the temple. As he finished his prayer, he looks up and turns at the sound of Meira's voice.

"The Lady Sarmaer is as astute as she is fair, of course. Our Lady of the Forest will provide for our needs. When we are hungry, a deer crosses our path. When we thirst, a stream doth appear. When we are in danger, a Knight rides to our defense."

Geoffrey's chest puffs up almost imperceptibly when he says the word "knight", and as he finishes speaking, he picks up a plumed helm from its resting place hanging from a branch of the tree that makes up the temple and begins to polish it until it gleams, even in the low light.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

See Roam, this structure is a perfect example of what I have been trying to explain, a practical application of natural engineering. Imagine if we could learn to apply this in smaller scale construction with fewer needed castings/casters.

A whole village could be built, or rebuilt, in real time with minimal craftsmen. What a great way to recover from a natural disaster or devastation from war.

And look here, at the detail around this lighting fixture, what even is that some sort of bioluminescent moss?

Lorxa scribbles more notes in the book he is using to record his observations of the temple. After making a note to himself that he would need to visit a wood elf settlement he looked up again.

Really though we have to get into that library. The academy didn't seem interested in any of my concoctions, what can we offer?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Meira Sarmaer
    Fifth level Druid

Meira looks at Geoffrey with a smile. "How may times do I have to reiterate, Geoffrey? It's just Meira. Not "Lady Sarmaer" or "milady" or any of those other things. Meira will do just fine."

She looks a little more closely at the room as Lorxa describes the details and methods of growing the habitat. She nods in agreement. It felt good to stay here and not out in constructed world of the humans.

Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Liag just hangs his head and shakes it with regret. How had he fallen in with these people? They were the kind that drew attention, and drawing attention got honest men like him killed.

"Listen, it might be great for the rest of you all to sit about and talk about how great the trees are. Me, I've got a family to feed and a crew to keep out of the canals. If any of you bootlickers got an idea for some quick silver that doesn't offend your delicate sensibilities, I'm listening. You seem like decent enough folks despite some grave misapprehensions about the workings of the world. Working with you seems like it could turn out well. If you don't though, I've got a business to to tend to."

Given the nature of Liag's business, the solution would probably be found far afield and involve an appreciable amount of violence. These people seemed like they could be an asset for both.
    07/03/2018: I’m back. The long break was necessary.

Discord Tag #4097

7. - Top - End - #7

PirateWench

Geoffrey Oathorn

A slight frown marred Geoffrey's countenance as Liag began to speak. Geoffrey had been quite fond of Liag when he first met the half-elf over a month ago - it was rare to find a down to earth, no nonsense person in the big city. Liag reminded Geoffrey of his home village, of his father and mother and sister. Liag was something of a grounding point for Geoffrey, who had become less and less no-nonsense (or perhaps it would be accurate to say more and more nonsensical) during his apprenticeship with Sir Eckbert, all those years ago.

There was one problem, however, as Geoffrey had learned: Liag was a criminal. Non-violent, as far as Geoffrey knew. Smuggling, tax evasion, the like. Enough for Geoffrey to find extremely distasteful, but not enough for him to draw his sword and demand with threat of force that Liag be brought to justice. After all, Geoffrey wasn't familiar enough with the bureaucracy and laws of Amaranth to be sure that drawing on Liag would not result in him being imprisoned for assault with a deadly weapon.

"If I have said it once I have said it thrice, sir. This 'Thieves Guild' you speak so oft of bears the stench of ill repute. Do not let thyself be shackled by their demands - thy knowledge of their valorless dealings doubtless would prove invaluable to the lawmen of Amaranth. Shining silver shall flow bountifully - as payment for the information you provide, and in return for the head of each knave and scoundrel we strike down. Hence, you can run an honest business and provide for thy family without suffering a portion lost to this Guild's greed."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

"Lets get two things straight. First, I don't work for or with those goons. However, seeing as I'm fond of my guts staying in my belly, I'll pay attention to what they've got to say. If you stay here long, you'd be smart to do the same. Second, you're a bigger fool than I thought if you think talking to the law would do any good. The law answers to whoever has the gold. Here, thats the Merchant's Guild. Wanna take a guess who does the work for the dirty work for 'em? That's right, the Thieves' Guild. Anyone here who actually matters either doesn't care, or is getting their cut from this cozy little relationship."

A spark of inspiration strikes Liag. "Say, that gives me an idea.I'm guessing you'd sure like to clean up a haven of vice and inequity, huh? Plenty of that down by where I live. Nobody there has the silver to bribe the guards into taking anything there seriously. Bet you'd be a real hero to all us poor folk if you were to, ah, do some good there." Liag wasn't nearly educated enough on the faith of Ehlonna to bring out some heavy theological arguments.

What went unsaid was that some shining knight descending into the neighborhood would shake things up enough to maybe keep the guild off of Liag's back until he could figure out what was going on. If Geoffrey managed to really rile things up, it could even mean a shift in the power structure of the place. Of course, the knight didn't need to know about all that.
    Last edited by Space Lawyer; 2017-08-05 at 09:13 PM.

Discord Tag #4097

9. - Top - End - #9

PirateWench

Geoffrey Oathorn

"Vice and inequity are devils' work, for certain. Yet a longsword is designed to pierce the heart of a man, not the heart of a word. A knight who fights thoughts and not men is doomed to be forever tilting at windmills. However, if ye direct me to an evildoer, a worm who is naught but an excuse for a man, a cur who preaches protection and practices extortion - then ye shall have his head before the fortnight."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Master Liag, I made some inquiries in a tap room near the academy today about leads on an item of interest to the academy. I didn't have any direct success, but I did get a lead to check out an organization known as the explorers guild, do you know anything about them?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Meira Sarmaer
    Fifth level Druid

Meira simply sits and watches the verbal exchange, hoping to hear something that would prove fruitful.

Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

"I haven't had much direct dealing with the Adventurers. They seem like an alright bunch. They ain't stuffy, they're pretty well accepting of anyone who isn't outright evil, and they bother the high and mighty. Makes 'em decent in my book. If you've got an in with 'em, go for it. Whatever the work is, it'll pay decent and be a hell of a lot more interesting than sitting around here hoping for silver to rain from the sky.""

Discord Tag #4097

13. - Top - End - #13

PirateWench

Geoffrey Oathorn

Geoffrey sets down the helmet that he was polishing.

"Well then, shall we visit this "Explorer's Guild" on the morrow?"

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

"A decent place to start. I'll meet you all there in the morning, after 9 bells." Liag gets up, eager to be out of the temple. It always felt like there some judgmental spirit or other looking down on him in such places. "Now, if you don't mind, I've got a family to see. Can't be spending all my time with you people." He makes his exit quickly.

Discord Tag #4097

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Meira Sarmaer
    Fifth level Druid

Meira nods. "That sounds like a good plan to me. Let's meet there after sunup."

Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Agreed says Lorxa, who then wanders off taking additional notes about his observations of the temple.

17. - Top - End - #17

MindFlayer

Bidding one another farewell for the evening Liag returns to his home and his family, about a half-hour's walk from the temple of Ehlonna. There is no sign of intrusion or interference, so it seems as though however much time the Thieves' Guild has given him is still ticking down. His wife Enna is cordial and glad to see him, but quieter than usual. Their dinner consists of surprisingly fresh fish salted and roasted over coals alongside runner beans kept preserved in a metal tin and a mug of stale beer. The meat is a small luxury that Liag is used to due to his improved economic standing, but he fish themselves are small and bony. Liag can guess that she chose to purchase the fish with an optimism that by carrying on as normal things will continue as normal, but she chose the cheapest ones (or those which were easiest to haggle down) because of the growing concern about money. Shava begins to complain, and is gently admonished by his mother. Back in the temple Geoff, Meira, and Lorxa can enjoy the gentle buoyancy of the stretched hammocks until one of Ehlonna's priestesses comes to deliver a simple but nutritious meal of brown bread with Goodberry jam, baked spiced sweet potato, and a thin mead. She seems friendly toward Geoff and slightly intimidated by Lorxa's size, and excuses herself quickly after only a few pleasantries.

The night passes without event, and dawn's light breaks through the thick clouds hanging over the city. Ehlonna's temple itself begins to warm, as much of it is designed to expose the plant-filled interior to the sunlight. The inverse of the sounds of the evening play out, as merchants trundle wagons laden with their wares along the cobblestone streets to begin setting up shop in the market district. It'll be on that main market mile that the group can find the Explorers' Guild Hall, and an assortment of misfits that might be able to fight their (figurative) battles for them.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Liag wakes from a light and restless sleep. His elf blood was responsible for the former, while the latter stemmed from his current troubles. Enna is up at nearly the same time, for much the same reasons. A bit of washing has them both substantially more ready to face the day.

"No more money worries, my lovely Enna. I'll be heading to the Adventurers' Guild today. I'll be coming out of there with a solution to our woes, a job, or just some misplaced silver." A steaming meat bun in hand, he quickly makes his way through the back alleys and other shortcuts known only to those with cause to wander far off the main roads.

He is the first to arrive, getting there substantially earlier than he had told the others to arrive. He was always like that nowadays. It gave him several advantages, after all. It gave him an air of being prepared, that others were falling behind his schedule. It allowed him to see traps being laid, as thugs got into position to ambush him before when they thought he was going to arrive. Perhaps most enjoyably, it allowed a flair for the dramatic as he could emerge from shadowed alleys as a proper criminal should.

Discord Tag #4097

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Meira Sarmaer
    Fifth level Druid

Sleeping in the temple was the closest to home she had felt since she left. Thought the world was so interesting, she still found herself missing her forests and grasslands on occasion. After she wakes, she kneels next to the edge of the room and places one hand upon the wooden wall. She cleanses her mind of all her thoughts and communes with the world around her, sensing Ehlonna's presence in the natural setting the temple provided. Some of the magical energies she had previously stored flows out of her and returns to its natural place in the world, while the knowledge of other worldly magics flows into her for the day.

Finally, she s ready and cleans herself up and changes clothes. Growing up in the forest, there was never much privacy, so modesty means very little to her, and she changes in the sleeping room with the others as they plan their day. Finally, she tucks one dagger in her boot, wears one in a sheath at her waist, and places the third in a section of her top meant to disguise the fact that she is carrying the third dagger. She looks at the shortbow, then decides to leave it in the temple for the day. "I am prepared," she finally announces.

As the group makes their way through the market square, there is no small amount of wonder on Meira's face as she looks at everything. Finally they arrive at the Explorer's Guild. She nods her head respectfully at Liag. "How do we proceed? Do we....simply go in and....tell them what?"

Show

20. - Top - End - #20

PirateWench

Geoffrey Oathorn

Geoffrey rises with the dawn, quickly dressing in the same clothes he wore the day before. He briefly confers with an acolyte of the temple, procuring a sprig of mistletoe. He waves his hand over the plant and offers a brief prayer in Elven to Ehlonna, and the small plant magically sprouts 10 Goodberries, which Geoffrey plucks and places into a small pouch. He liked to have the berries on hand for their medicinal properties in case of emergency, and if they went unused during the day, he gave them to the poor and hungry for sustenance.

After completing this daily ritual, Geoffrey straps on his plate armor and ties two belts at opposing angles to his waist - one holds the sheath for his longsword, and the other has five hunting knives strapped to it, each well cared for and sharpened to a razor's edge.

With that, he is ready, and he escorts Meira and Lorxa to the guild as they leave. Upon arrival, he gives Liag a curt nod.

"G'day, sir."
    Last edited by gloryblaze; 2017-08-11 at 04:04 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Lorxa likewise readies himself for the day, he carries a hand axe and light hammer with him at his belt, but they are more tools than weapons. The satchel he slings over his head and one arm is his most prized possession, the result of years of study and experimentation, the inner workings hosting a small colony of various molds, fungi, and insect life, which combine with the magical devices therein to produce his alchemical concoctions.

He picks up his walking staff, again not a weapon like a quarterstaff, but just a walking stick (which he also uses as an arcane focus for his spell casting).

Lorxa joins the others and enjoys the morning walk through the city. While he would much prefer to be off studying the wilderness, there certainly was a lot to learn and observe here as well. He wondered absent mindedly about what an interesting study the city ecosystem would make, vermin, sewers, pigeons and parks, etc... most of the citizens probably weren't even aware of the life all around them. Lorxa was contemplating modifying the rats to maintain the sewers and other possible improvements when the party met up with Liag.

22. - Top - End - #22

MindFlayer

The group setting out from Ehlonna's temple are able to make their way to the main market mile by going back mostly the way that they came into the city. Even in the early morning the market is bustling with locals and travelers alike walking up and down the cobblestone streets gazing with interest at the curiosities of the gathering bazaar. The street is abnormally wide, but with good reason. The center is clear enough, dotted with pedestrians who move out of the way when a carriage or wagon comes through. The occasional performer takes up this space, doing acrobatic tricks or feats of sleight of hand or playing music to impress onlookers for tips. Flanking the center are stalls, temporarily constructed booths made from hinged wooden planks and cloth roofing, where non-local merchants who can't justify a permanent storefront can set up their wares and displays. You can see that there are Elves selling delicate woven goods or wooden ornaments, Dwarves with weapons or tools of forged Resswald steel, Halflings with glass containers of dried spices and herbs, and Orcs with animal pelts and hunting equipment. Behind each row of stalls is another narrower sidewalk flush with the buildings for the benefit of the pedestrians who want to get around the crowd a bit more quickly. And finally, forming the borders of the street are whatever permanent establishments hold a prestigious position on the mile, staples of the city whose owners receive traffic from loyal local customers and impressed tourists. Names like T'inker's Emporium, the Brothbrewery, the Soulforge, and Panacea are only a few which stand out in these tidy, well-kept stone brick storefronts.

The Explorer's Guild is about a quarter of the way down the mile. It is twice as wide as the storefronts to either side of it and twice as tall as well. The front of the building is presumably stone like the others but has been coated with a layer of plaster so that an intricate mural could be painted on the face. The left side of the mural features an adventuring party consisting of a knight fully clad in armor with sword pointed and shield raised, a wizard in a starry robe and tweaked hat with lightning crackling around his hands, a priest in white vestments boldly raising an indistinct holy symbol, and a rogue with bandoleers of daggers crouching in the foreground with a crossbow trained on its target. The faces are indistinct, and their roles are discernible due to their dress more than anything else. On the opposite side are the targets and prey, monsters exaggerated to the point of caricature baring fangs and claws. A Mimic with rows of teeth is flanked by two Skeletons, the orange insectoid Rust Monster waves its feelers from atop the gnarled hulking body of a long-nosed Troll, and behind them an impressive Red Dragon hovers with wings spread wide. The doors to enter the guild hall are placed right between the clash of heroes and monsters, as though to evoke the notion that those who pass through regularly walk the line of battle and peril.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Liag had a love-hate relationship with this part of the city. It always felt too pompous for someone like him to be in. It was neat and orderly, and with that came prices higher than anywhere else in town. A scion of the slums just didn't belong here. On the other hand, some of Liag's best customers had stalls here, hawking their goods at just under the price legality would have forced them to and pocketing the difference. Criminals of other sorts thrived in this golden mile as well. Liag spotted a young pickpocket practicing her trade, the coins of the unwary disappearing up her sleeves. Good for her; those with too much money to pay close attention to it could stand to be relieved of the extraneous silver.

He looks at the garish mural fronting the guild with distaste. It had always led him to believe that the guild was composed of those with a greater taste for flamboyant drama than good sense.

"Good morning. Ya, Meira, we'll just have ta go'in, less yu'd like ta spend some of yer magic ta just talk to 'em through the plants." His accent was always thicker in the morning, and was a dead giveaway as to his origins. "'Spose we'll tell 'em we're looking for work. Prefer'bly somethin' in the city. Not about to leave here withou' cause."

Not to mention an official job from the Adventurer's Guild could give him cause to be in parts of the city he'd ordinarily not be welcome in. Maybe by asking questions to the right people, Liag could find out if the recent lack of business was due to factors inside the city or from without.

Discord Tag #4097

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Personally I would enjoy a task out in the country.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Meira Sarmaer
    Fifth level Druid

She nods her head as Liag speaks. She smiles a bit at his jest. As he mentions walking inside she turns her attention to the giant display around the doors. It was quite well done, showing all sorts of different creatures and heroes. Exactly the type of story Meira was interested in hearing. "Do they just...give commissions to anyone who walks in off the street? You would think they would have a stricter policy than that. You know, to protect their reputation."

Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Liag points accusingly at the gaudy mural. "Yeah, their reputation. Must be precious." This guild was near-famous for letting just about anyone, as long as they could prove themselves.

"Anyway, might as well go in. Not much use in standing out here." Liag boldly strides towards the doors, shoving them open and swaggering inside as if he had always belonged.

Discord Tag #4097

27. - Top - End - #27

MindFlayer

The Explorer's Guild is a bustling den of enthusiastic-looking adventurers, and immediately you notice a much greater variety of races than there were on the city streets. Not only is there a higher percentage of Elves and Dwarves than formed the pedestrian population but they look unlike Elves and Dwarves you've seen before - dark-skinned Elves from the Resswald desert and gray-streaked Dwarves from the arctic north. There are hulking Ogrillons and slender Githzerai, wide winged Aarakocra and furry whiskered Tabaxi. Humanoids with red or blue skin suggest some kind of elemental or extradimensional heritage, and there are even monstrous creatures like Lizardfolk and Thri-Kreen in this hall. The hall to speak of is designed like a wide tavern, with several rows of tables forming a communal dining area underneath a high ceiling. The right-most wall has four cork message boards with a few posters hung on each, and the balcony of the second floor which extends out from the back seems to have another. No notice is made of the group as they enter, because the room is full of an elevated chatter as various groups of friends discuss over meals and drinks, while a spellcasting cook in an open kitchen near the back calls out orders. The hall is full of the smell of sizzling fat and frying meats, and the number of mugs on the table suggest that there are some who either started drinking early or didn't stop through the night.

The first person Liag can speak to is a Halfling woman sitting behind a desk at the entrance, a beaming smile on her face. She has tanned skin and her hair is braided into many tight cords. She has a few simple arcs tattooed on her face contoured around her eyes and cheeks, and Liag's keen eyes notice that some of them cover scars.
    "Welcome to the guild!" she announces cheerfully as the group walks in. "Looking for someone to speak to? Miriconda Rudgain, at your service, but you can call me Miri. What are your names? Are you looking to submit a mission for guild service, or are you here because you want to join our family?"

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Hello little friend, we are looking for work, preferably of the type that would lead to items of rarity and power that would interest the Academy, I suppose that may mean membership but we would be happy to work as independent contractors as well. Are you the person to speak with of such things?

29. - Top - End - #29

MindFlayer

Miri blinks at Lorxa with big eyes.
    "Well...I appreciate your directness, I suppose. Better than some. By 'Academy,' you mean Paracelsus? I don't know all that much about it, though I believe we have a few members who are students. But erm, if you're looking for something interesting to them...shouldn't you be asking them?"

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Liag goes into full charmer mode, the biggest ****-eating grin he can muster plastered across his face. "Excuse my, erm, companion, Miri. He can be rather forthright." A steadying breath. Down by the south sluice, a botch from the first moment was worth a knife in the gut, if for no other reason than to save everyone else the trouble of dealing with problems later.

"He is, in a sense, correct though. Really, we're all looking for gainful employment, and thought to try our luck here. After all, everyone knows the Explorer's guild is the only place for someone with curiosity, bravery, and a shred of decency to get by in this city. Now, if that means joining your wonderful family, so be it!"

Discord Tag #4097