New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Ritual Magic

1. - Top - End - #1
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Ritual Magic

Does anyone know why certain spells are rituals and others are not? Like, Commune is a ritual, and so is Speak with Animal, but Speak with Dead is not. Find Familiar is a ritual, and so is Phantom Steed, but neither Animal Friendship nor Find Steed are.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Ritual Magic

I think it mostly comes down to "Would there be a problem if this spell could be cast 100 times a day"

Find Familiar, familiars are mostly utility, with minimal combat potential. Yeah, you might be able to let your familiar tank a single hit somehow, but whatever.

Meanwhile, a Paladin Steed is a significant combat entity. If you could re-summon a steed freely between every encounter, at the very least that's a pile of free hit points to throw around.

Commune has a built-in chance to make no answer after your first casting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    I think it mostly comes down to "Would there be a problem if this spell could be cast 100 times a day"
    Precisely.
    Rituals are spells that can be useful out of combat, but don't actually impact game play very much, even if you can cast them all day long.
    If you quote me and ask me questions,
    and I continue to not respond,
    it's probably because I have
    you on my Ignore list.
    Congratulations.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DivisibleByZero View Post
    Precisely.
    Rituals are spells that can be useful out of combat, but don't actually impact game play very much, even if you can cast them all day long.
    How is speak with dead useful during combat?

I feel like there are a lot of spells that should have been rituals, but they decided not to do so precisely because they are useful outside of combat and useful enough in the right contexts that they wanted the casting of those spells to be a meaningful use of resources.

So, game balance is the reason, even if it's not entirely clear how they decided which spells always needed a resource cost.

As far as the fiction is concerned, it seems like a case could be made for quite a few spells to have the ritual tag.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by coolAlias View Post
    How is speak with dead useful during combat?
    It isn't. But it potentially has HUGE impact on game play, *especially* if you were able to spam it all day resource free.
    {{scrubbed}}
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2017-07-05 at 05:43 PM.
    If you quote me and ask me questions,
    and I continue to not respond,
    it's probably because I have
    you on my Ignore list.
    Congratulations.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DivisibleByZero View Post
    It isn't. But it potentially has HUGE impact on game play, *especially* if you were able to spam it all day resource free.
    {{scrubbed}}
    No need to get snarky, though I did just epically fail in reading comprehension. Somehow I read "useful out of combat" as "useful in combat." No, I'm not proud of it, but there it is.
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2017-07-05 at 05:43 PM.