New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: In the Dungeons of the Slave Lords [IC]

Alan Gibbs

Alan quietly steps away from the door, peeking once again down the passage ahead of them, before going back to whisper to Sechrin.

There are two rooms down the hallway, one adorned with a black and white banner, the other with a green and red banner. Under the black banner, it sounds as if people are sleeping – likely quarters for off-duty guards. I got a chance to peek inside the other room, which seems like an armory. Not sure what you want to do with that, or what we can do with him around, he whispers, a flick of his eyes placing the reference on Trez, But I don't want to be standing around when they wake up. As I see it, either we sneak in and overtake them, or try and jam the door to handicap their pursuit. It's not my decision though, so figure out what the rest of the group wants.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Barbarian in the Playground

Aerhalyss

Poor Trez, he doesn't deserve to be cannon fodder, really. Oh, come on girl, he joined the slavers voluntarily after all.

Trying to shake off her bad conscience she asks Trez in a hushed voice, "You know, I'm Sechrin's friend just like you, but we don't know each other well, so tell me: How comes you joined the slave lords in the first place?"
    Orc Girl Avatar by Yeril !

Irideen Yoannaell,woodelf ranger Into the Depths of the Earth (Dawnhorn) character sheet

3. - Top - End - #183
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"Why are we being so quiet all o....oh, barracks. Yeah, I see the banner. Eh, it's good money. I've worked on a town guard and such before, but they don't pay too well. This gig gives me food, a place to live, and some fair coin, so I figured why not?"
    Meh, I have nothing clever to say here.

4. - Top - End - #184

Sechrin

A quiet hmmm, or two escapes Sechrin as he considers Alan's report. In a similarly quiet voice, he says, "This will be tricky. If there are only sleeping ones around, it'll be more difficult for me to convince Trez that they're afflicted. We may have to wake them up by accident, if you gather. I can keep Trez back around a corner while someone else starts the routine. If you would, go tell the others, and I'll inform Aerhalyss after she's through speaking to Trez."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'll be back at 3-4AM PST on Friday. Carry on if things move quickly. Let Trez mix it up while I try to avoid being nailed to a wall. Should be back before more than that happens.

5. - Top - End - #185

Aerhalyss

The elf speaks silently in elvish "Yes, why not? Because it is blood money, because you enslave people, because for your own convinience you add to the power of the slave lords. How stupid can you be, if you're not evil at heart?"

She continues in common, looking at her comrades, "You know, if we just sneak further noone will suspect we are around. If we happen to meet some afflicted persons and they attack us here the patrol will be back soon and they will discover it."

Irideen Yoannaell,woodelf ranger Into the Depths of the Earth (Dawnhorn) character sheet

6. - Top - End - #186
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

OOC:
    ((Krelon, that first line in elvish was an internal monologue, correct? Not that Trez understands elvish, but I just want to be sure.

For future reference, spoken dialog is "In quotations", internal thoughts are in italics, no quotations, and other forms of communication, such as a sign language, foreign language, or mental communication can use whatever you prefer .:so long:. -as it's- [ignan]consistent with[/ignan] %*the language used*%))

7. - Top - End - #187

no it wasn't internal monologue, Aerhalys is upset so she changes to her native tongue (hence different color and announcement before text: 'speaks in elvish' ) and just rants a bit. At least Sechrin should be able to understand it and she doubts Trez will. After all gray elves think they are better than others, so judging the weak will of humans is the right thing to do.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

Rashnik

The lizardman silently watches the scouts confer.

Whatever is up ahead could be big...

My Homebrew.

Master Ref Of the Arena Tournament!
    Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Arena Combatants: | Dense | Mad Al | Twang | De'Athbypro Xie

9. - Top - End - #189

Sechrin

Sechrin allows himself a small chortle at Aerhalyss' remark. With a shrug, he says, [elven]"He'll have his blood money, or some other will. It hardly matters, eh? He's a simple solider of his own convenience; one I'd just like to get some use out of him while I can. A little ruse to keep him distracted and the end result will probably be the same."[/elven]

"Perhaps you and Alan could check the armory for a few things we could take along, just in case. It might be best to leave these men sleep, if possible. If any awaken, we'll know soon enough if they are afflicted. Remember what I said earlier, though: if they challenge us, they must be afflicted, else they would have recognized us as comrades. Do not wait any longer than necessary--they pose a threat, then attack soon after no matter what. Deny them that advantage."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'll wait here until there's a decision. I think Krelon's right that we might want to slip past undetected, but remove anything special from the armory, assuming we can gain entrance without waking any of them. However, if any of them wake up, hand 'em their death certificates.

10. - Top - End - #190

"Right, let's see to the armory, we wouldn't want them to hurt themselves with dangerous things, would we"

She nods at Alan to lead her on.
    Spoiler
    Show

if you want to speed up the armory thing, she'll cast detect magic and try to locate anything unusual, leaving the mundane selection to Alan.

11. - Top - End - #191

Spoiler
    Show
    for looking a bit around, some rolls I forgot in the above post:
    spot - (1d20+5)[6]
    search - (1d20+8)[18]
    appraise - (1d20+5)[16]

12. - Top - End - #192
    Dwarf in the Playground

Alan Gibbs

Right, well, follow me, it's just down this way, he says, glancing once at Trez. The rest of you stay here 'til we come back, no use dragging everyone into it.

Alan stalks catlike ahead of Aerhalyss, opening the door to the armor as quietly as possible.

Spoiler
    Show
    Search - (1d20+3)[20]
    Appraise - (1d20+2)[15]

Spot - (1d20+6)[8]
    Listen - (1d20+6)[26]
    Last edited by JEntropy; 2007-10-14 at 12:36 AM.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The armory has a plentiful, if somewhat homogenized, collection of weapons. Longswords seem to be the standard issue, and there are suits of leather, chainmail and plate mail of standard quality. There are a few maces with the longswords, and across from them are some heavy crossbows and a bin of bolts.

There is a standing cabinet that emits a flurry of faint magical auras that Aerhalyss can detect. Opening the cabinet reveals storage space much larger than could exist given the outside dimensions; it looks as though one could fit about 3 people inside, maybe more if they're especially friendly. Unfortunately, the storage is mostly gone to waste as very little is inside. A few bottles sit on a shelf, two empty, one full, and a small vial that is also full. On the shelf below the bottles is a single feather, exuding a rich green color of the forests themselves.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Dwarf in the Playground

Alan Gibbs

Well, Aerhalyss, do you make anything of these? The rest of the equipment seems to be rather plain.

15. - Top - End - #195

Sechrin

While waiting for Aerhalyss and Alan to divest the armory of anything recognizably important, Sechrin takes the opportunity to question Trez on a topic of impending importance.

"Since we're waiting on the others, I was wondering something. I've mentioned several times how I wish to avoid injuring any of the afflicted soldiers and guards, but because I believe it will eventually become inevitable, especially if it continues to spread, I want to ask you directly: if we are threatened or outright attacked, what will you do? Will it be difficult for you to fight what used to be your own fellows? Mind what I said before, though--they will kill you as easily as I've seen them kill others who were probably stunned when they were suddenly set upon. I just need to know if I can rely on you to be steadfast in the face of something that would confound a weaker man. I must rely on you to defend me, as I cannot hope to withstand an assault by others with your skills."

Sechrin looks harried and somewhat downtrodden to heighten the gravity and believability of his concerns.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    If a Dip or Bluff is required to continue the charade: (1d20)[16] (+8 for Dip, +10 for Bluff)

16. - Top - End - #196

Aerhalyss

The elf nods and says, "We could take one heavy crossbow for Trez and.. Hmmm... How is his amor? I'm not an expert in these things and didn't care to look, maybe you can find something better here?"

Then looks at the cabinet and adds, "Take a few steps away, just in case something explodes". She gives Alan the opportunity to do so and reaches into it.

Spoiler
    Show

spellcraft for the one full bottle and and a small vial. (id potion, DC=25)
    Knowledge arcane on a single feather from the shelf below the bottles (suspecting it might be some kind of a "common" feather token)
    bottle - (1d20+18)[27]
    vial - (1d20+18)[19]
    feather - (1d20+13)[21]
    are the empty bottles magical in themselves? (like a bottle of smoke/air?) or only empty potion bottles?

17. - Top - End - #197
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"I'm....not sure. I mean, these are people I know and work with. I suppose if they're sick and they attack us I don't have much of a choice but to defend myself. But I'd rather not kill anyone if I can help it. I...I just don't know. I've never dealt with something like this before."

Aerhalyss:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The empty bottles are just empty, filled with mundane air. The filled bottle contains a low-level casting of Mage Armor (+4 AC). It probably won't last longer than an hour or two. The vial's contents are rather oily in appearance, exhibiting the traits of the Magic Stone spell. (Up to three small stones receive a bonus of +1 to Attack and Damage when used as a ranged weapon, resulting in 1d6+1 damage, or 2d6+2 against undead.) The green feather is a Feather Token: Tree. (It causes a great oak tree to appear instantly, 5' trunk diameter, 60' high, and a crown of 40' in diameter.)
    It would seem that these items have been regarded as generally useless by the patrols, which would explain their presence.

18. - Top - End - #198

Sechrin

"I'm sure you haven't. Neither had those others I watched get slaughtered in the frenzy of the afflicted. It won't be easy, but you'll either need to be brave, or end at the point of their blades. Buck up. We'll get through this."

An image of himself whacking Trez upside the head with a shovel ran through Sechrin's mind just then. Show some backbone! You willingly enter into service with nasty people that like to ruin people's lives and you fall in love with your vile comrades? My god...at least don't run away at the first sign of attack.

Sechrin managed a comforting smile and a pat on the shoulder, all the same.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Dwarf in the Playground

Alan Gibbs

Alan doesn't need to be told twice: he backs away immediately, his gaze fixed on the elf as she fumbles in the cabinet. Once she stops, he breaks the silence.

Most of this gear is...incredibly plain. I doubt anyone would want it instead of what they're currently adorned in. Even so, they might, so we should go back and talk to them about it, rather than bringing the lot of it out and giving a clear indication to Trez that we're looting the place.

So...what did you make of the things in that cabinet?
    he asks curiously.

20. - Top - End - #200

Aerhalyss

After examination of the items she waits for Alan to go through the armors.

"Not so bad. The tree feather is quite interesting. Let's go back to the rest of our team. Alan, do you remember, does any of us use a sling?"

She closes the cabinet, tells Alan what the things are supposed to do. On the way out she takes a heavy crossbow and a quiver of bolts before leaving.
    Last edited by Krelon; 2007-10-16 at 06:13 PM.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Dwarf in the Playground

Alan Gibbs

Well, Aerhalyss, we never know when one of those trinkets might find itself to be most useful. Pack them into your bag, since you have a keener sense of them than I.

Going back through the array of weapons and armor once more, he says:

Damn if there aren't any daggers in here. Ah, well. We should be getting back to the others.

Alan leads the way out of the armory, back to the party. Wishing to contribute to the ruse placed on Trez, he begins:

I'm not sure how well outfitted you all are, as we were certainly caught off guard by this ... sickness...that's developed in our fellow guardsmen. As you all well know, that black and white banner signifies that the room is a local armory; much of the equipment inside seems to have been pilfered, but therein remain several longswords and maces, chainmail, plate armor and some leathers, and a few heavy crossbows. If we can expect to struggle with other victims of this affliction as we have so far, we would do well to adorn ourselves properly. We may be all that's keeping this fortress from spiraling into total chaos...

Bluff - (1d20+5)[19]
    Last edited by JEntropy; 2007-10-16 at 10:01 PM.

22. - Top - End - #202

Aerhalyss

She waits until Alan is done and hands Trez a crossbow "Here, I know you might have been afflicted yourself but now you can prove that we can trust you. You know, if it is money you are looking for... Sechrin and me know some rich guys that pay better than the slave lords to people that can solve problems. How about you take the offer? Maybe you have some trusted friends that you think might be unaffected and will aid us as well. To be honest, the slave lords are going down soon, this affliction is just a first portent of doom, now is your last chance to be on the side of the winners"

23. - Top - End - #203

Sechrin

This time Sechrin's smile is genuine. Both for Alan's clever support of the ruse to keep Trez as an ally, and for Aerhalyss' considered attempt to bribe Trez to our side, regardless of other considerations. I should have thought of that. So simple. So appropriate. And he nearly pounded me over the head with the idea, earlier.

Ne nods to his fellow elf, indicating his appreciation of the idea. "Yes, Trez. Things are changing here. Some will come out of it better for it, some not at all. It may very well be a perfect opportunity for you to join us properly, rather than temporarily. Think about it. We may need an answer sooner rather than later. For now, would you be comfortable in chainmail or plate? More protection, as you know...but bulkier. Your call, but make it quickly before we lose the opportunity."

Azure eyes stare at Trez as he contemplates a decision.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"You're confusing reluctance with cowardice," says Trez in a small display of injured pride with a touch of defiance. "It's not that I'd be scared in the slightest, it's just doesn't quite sit right. I mean, you do what needs to be done, and if it comes to a 'me or him' situation I'm all about me, but it's one thing when it's a total stranger you've never seen before or will again and another when it's someone you shared meals and stories with. It would just be....hard."

"Pilfered?"
    he says when Aerhalyss and Alan return. "Naw, it's more like everything's just been issued out. The armories are almost always pretty bare, so if there's something you want in advance you gotta reserve it. Otherwise things get snatched up real quick-like. There's usually more than enough swords and armor to go around, and then some, but the fancier things like potions and such go quick." Taking the crossbow offered to him, he gives it a quick look-over. "I was never great with these things, but I know how to use 'em. Pain in the butt to reload, but they stick things real good. Thanks."

While examining his new weapon to make sure it's in good working order, he considers Aerhalyss' and Sechrin's offer. "That might not be such a bad idea. I've got it pretty good here, but if you know where I might be better off then I'm game. As for armor, I'm fine like I am. I've got some chain on already under the tunic, and plate mail is just too heavy and loud. You'd have to roll me down the hall and I'd clank the whole way."

No sooner is this amusing illustration voiced than a sudden outburst blasts from the room across from the armory. "BAH! TURKEYS AND BEHOLDERS CONSPIRING together to turn us all into cream...." And then nothing.
    Last edited by Xian; 2007-10-17 at 03:44 PM.

25. - Top - End - #205

Aerhalyss

"Right, if I didn't know we have a mind poisoning on our hands here, I'd be really nervous now", actually she is looking pretty nervous all of a sudden

"I suggest we move on, maybe we should discuss the offer in a quiet spot with a game of dice and a drink"
    Last edited by Krelon; 2007-10-17 at 03:57 PM.

26. - Top - End - #206

Sechrin

Sechrin starts at the sudden loud voice, and it sparks him to hurry things along.

"Yes, I'm afraid that incoherent yelling in there seems to indicate a problem. I've determined the affliction definitely affects the mind directly, causing the victim to shift from seemingly normal to outright insanity, though often they're somewhat lucid before going berserk. If one is afflicted, they're all afflicted," he says with a somewhat melodramatic sigh. "They wouldn't be so calm if there were normal people in their midst--it's the same when they see normal people elsewhere--something snaps in them. Best be prepared, Trez. They aren't who they used to be. They're tricky and bloodthirsty--don't hesitate to do what you need to do. As for having it good here, I'm afraid your choices are far more limited than they used to be. You can either become one of them or fight them off with extreme prejudice. We can provide you the best chance of success in both cases. Pay can be hashed out when things are less volatile. Good? Good."

He turns to Alan and Aerhalyss, and asks, "Did either of you take a look into the other room to see how many were there? Fortunately, if they're asleep, they're likely to be out of any decent armor. If they are, indeed, afflicted, we should seize the advantage of surprise. Alan, can you do a quick count, and while you're in there check one for the signs. They're tricky to see, especially in dim light, so be sure. Like I said, one means all."

27. - Top - End - #207
    Dwarf in the Playground

Alan Gibbs

Alan doesn't say a word, but places a finger on his lips and nods, moving quietly back to the barracks. He leans his back against the wall, extending one hand to open the door as quietly as he can manage for a peek inside, the other hand instinctively moving to the handle of one of his blades – one he hopes he won't have to draw.

He closes his eyes, draws a deep breath, then turns the handle...

Move Silently - (1d20+8)[10]
    Spot - (1d20+6)[17]
    Last edited by JEntropy; 2007-10-18 at 09:13 PM.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tristan

Tristan holds watch the other way silently, uneasy with the mind tricks being used on the guardsman. He looks back as Alan opens the door, turning and ready to break into a run to block the door.

Dying by a blow in one's sleep is a sad way to leave, but these men chose their fate. We... I will leave none to subjugate the helpless. A faint shimmer of light leaks out of his faceplate, and Tristan seems more imposing than before.
    "Yes, I am shaking in my omnipotent boots at their new outfits. I am helpless against the powers of fashion."

29. - Top - End - #209
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The handle slips out of Alan's hand and the bolt snaps back into place with a thwack that is absolutely deafening in the quiet hallway. Inside, a momentary shuffle and rustling of cloth can be heard before all is quiet again. A tense moment later of nothing happening, he pushes the door carefully open, the door creaking quietly on its hinges. Inside are a set of four bunk beds. The second one from the left has someone sleeping on the bottom, and the one next to it, the second from the right, has someone sleeping fitfully in the top bunk.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Dwarf in the Playground

Alan Gibbs

Alan leans back against the wall, facing the others, and begins gesturing to them:

He holds his right hand out, with two fingers up. Then, he shakes his head, gaze lowered. He pauses, then touches the two fingers to his brow, and gives them a thumbs down. Pause. He points to the group, then shows his palm face out. Finally, after another pause, he places his open hand against his chest, nods toward the doorway to the sleeping guards, and then draws two fingers across his throat.

He draws two blades, and moves quickly and quietly into the room, towards the figure soundly asleep on the lower bed. He breathes deeply, and plunges the blades into areas that will insure a quick and noise-efficient death.

Spoiler
    Show
    MS - (1d20+8)[18]
    A coup de grace on sleeper 1 means rolling critical damage plus sneak attack:
    MH - (1d4+3)[5] x2 autocrit
    OH - (1d4+3)[6] x2 autocrit

MHSA - (2d6)[9]
    OHSA - (2d6)[7]

After landing a killing blow, Alan turns to face the other figure.

Spoiler
    Show

This is where it gets tricky. It's entirely possible my attack on sleeper 1 will arouse sleeper 2, in which case there should be an initiative roll.

Init - (1d20+3)[4]

I'll wait to see what pans out to make my next move, and if I get a surprise round.

*EDIT* Damn natural 1 initiative rolls...
    Last edited by JEntropy; 2007-10-19 at 05:49 PM.