New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Underrated monsters

What monsters do you guys think are underrated or not used as much as they should be? I think the tlincallis from Volo's Guide to Monsters are underused; I have never heard or read about them being used.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Underrated monsters

Tortles are underused...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

I like Nothics, creepy former magic-users corrupted by the very power they sought out, that can learn about a person or even cause them to rot just by looking at them.

4. - Top - End - #4

GnomeWizardGuy

Owlbears ... just cuz someone had to say it. Sorry. I'll try harder next time.

5. - Top - End - #5

Nilbog.
    Then again, none of the games I've seen so far haven't had regular Goblins either.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Mephits.

I've never heard anyone use mephits in their games, even though elemental imps are great.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Perytons. A great low CR monster with Flyby. I try to use them on as many parties of new players as possible as my "This is why you always bring a ranged weapon or learn to Ready." lesson.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    Mephits.

I've never heard anyone use mephits in their games, even though elemental imps are great.
    I used a handful of different ones protecting a hot springs the character stopped at. I like mephits, & i use them when i can.

I think actual animals are underused. When was the last time the heroes were hunted by wolves as they run low on provisions in the frozen north? Or stumble into a snake pit? How about coming face to face with a hungry lion after the ranger accidently steals his kill while foraging?

Its more likely to be winterwolves, lamias, & displacer beasts. Nature is scary too, maybe through in a monsterous/dire creature as a pack leader if the party is high level.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anderlith View Post
    When was the last time the heroes were hunted by wolves as they run low on provisions in the frozen north?
    If perytons are my "ranged weapon/ready lesson", packs of wolves are my "nature be scary yo" lesson. Pack tactics, trips, fast movement speed, tracking and perception abilities. Harry a low level group with a large pack of wolves throughout a trip between cities. I've dragged off a few unconscious PCs for dog chow in the last few years. I think my players would rather take their chances with Displacer Beasts

10. - Top - End - #10

Rust monsters weak yet effective in groups and a warforged be scared
    Last edited by Sariel Vailo; 2017-09-22 at 12:32 PM.
    Skully boyfriend's lead to skully wendigo weddings.
    Spoiler: Linklele
    Show
    linklele you have brought a beautiful and favorite character of mine as well as fluffy to life i wanted to thank you. i may never again switch my avatar

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Mephits.

Fought fire, mud, steam, Ice (?) versions of the little ****s. One of the highly damaged by big Bads PCs was dropped to zero by a series of exploding Mephits occurring late in a battle. ROFLMAO - we won but the PC just rolled his eyes when it happened.
    With one exception, I play AL games only nowdays.

I am the eternal Iconoclast.

Mountain Dwarfs Rock!

Song of Gorm Gulthyn
    Blessed be the HAMMER my strength which teaches my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.

Otto von Bismarck Quotes

When you want to fool the world, tell the truth.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Mephits.

I've used mephits loads of times, and now my players are paranoid that any planar enemy they fight is going to explode. They're likely to knock it unconscious when it gets close to 0, and then shoot it from a distance, so that if an enemy does explode it doesn't hurt them.

Quote Originally Posted by mephnick View Post
    If perytons are my "ranged weapon/ready lesson", packs of wolves are my "nature be scary yo" lesson. Pack tactics, trips, fast movement speed, tracking and perception abilities. Harry a low level group with a large pack of wolves throughout a trip between cities. I've dragged off a few unconscious PCs for dog chow in the last few years. I think my players would rather take their chances with Displacer Beasts
    Note to self: use wolves.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnightJin View Post
    Nilbog.
    Then again, none of the games I've seen so far haven't had regular Goblins either.
    I've used him twice, much to the frustration of my players. I like him so much, he inspired a PC. I made a lore bard goblin by that name. He was possessed by Nilbog and it left a permanent impression. He sincerely believes he's THE Nilbog.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnocius View Post
    What monsters do you guys think are underrated or not used as much as they should be? I think the tlincallis from Volo's Guide to Monsters are underused; I have never heard or read about them being used.
    Slimes are very underrated, no one has been using them in any campaign i have done.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by DracoKnight View Post
    I've used mephits loads of times, and now my players are paranoid that any planar enemy they fight is going to explode. They're likely to knock it unconscious when it gets close to 0, and then shoot it from a distance, so that if an enemy does explode it doesn't hurt them.
    I too have fought and used mephits and magmins aplenty. At one point, the cleric cast create/destroy water and made a big cloud of water that rained down on the magmins around him. The DM being a jerk, decided that it killed all of the 7 or 8 magmins. The blast threw the cleric's unconscious body a couple hundred feet down the side of the volcano, and I had to chase him down and pull him to a halt before he landed in a lava field.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Mephits.

I had mud mephits dripping off a giant starfish that had grappled a ship the players were on. They killed the last one with a ballista bolt.
    Spoiler: Quotes from the Playground
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    In fact, I will here formally propose the Zeroth Rule of Gaming: No rule in any game shall be interpreted in a way that breaks the game if it is possible to interpret that rule in a way that does not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    Good old Jes, the infamous Doppelganger MILF.

(aka "The Doppelbanger")
    Quote Originally Posted by Beleriphon View Post
    Shhhhh, shhhhhh. Be calm, inhale the beholder's wacky float gas and stop worrying.

Adapting published monsters to Eberron: Naturalist's Guide to Eberron Latest: Annis Hag

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Griffon

Mephits.

Thanks to the Baldur's Gate series, I've always had a fondness for mephits. They are a very common enemy in Baldur's Gate 2 and very fun to smash in their stupid faces!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

I've never seen true mindless constructs used as enemies.

They always seem to be special golems that can follow the intent of an order and experience emotions.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Potato_Priest View Post
    I've never seen true mindless constructs used as enemies.

They always seem to be special golems that can follow the intent of an order and experience emotions.
    Really? That's interesting. I use them rarely, but a guy who used to DM a game I was in used them a lot!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

Devil

Mephits.

Conjure Minor Elemental and make a horde of Mud Mephits and give them all nets. That's like 24 Entangle checks each turn. Also, having a Mirror Mephit for Simulacrum fun in 3.5 was good fun.
    Last edited by Vaz; 2017-10-31 at 03:16 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

Kobold

Barghest. They would work great as a boss monster for a group of goblins at low level. Or a one off monster. But people just use Bugbears and Hobgoblins for upgraded goblins instead.

22. - Top - End - #22

BlueKnightGuy

I can’t recall their name exactly, “Leucrotas?” I think. The ferret like critters that mimic voices.

They once drew a pair of happless PCs deep into a series of tunnels they had to crawl through before cutting them off from the rest of the party.
    One snuck back near the entrance to tell the other PC’s “We’re fine” repeatedly.

I will second Owlbears having experienced a TPK once when we triggered a trap that released two from their cages on opposite ends of a narrow hall. It got ugly so fast.

23. - Top - End - #23

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anderlith View Post

I think actual animals are underused. When was the last time the heroes were hunted by wolves as they run low on provisions in the frozen north? Or stumble into a snake pit? How about coming face to face with a hungry lion after the ranger accidently steals his kill while foraging?

Its more likely to be winterwolves, lamias, & displacer beasts. Nature is scary too, maybe through in a monsterous/dire creature as a pack leader if the party is high level.
    One of my first experiences in 5e was the entire party nearly being wiped (should have had we learned the rules on spare the dying but whatever) by wolves at level 1. there was like 6 of us.

Ever since then we don't travel in the woods at night. and we have 'wolf watch'.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

The Cadaver Collector should be a mainstay but doesn't have enough exposure to be one.

http://eberron.wikia.com/wiki/Cadaver_Collector

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

Mindless golems are things i use quite a bit. They work as a compliment to undead in the "tomb undisturbed for centuries" feel - for when you want different encounters and not all of them to be solved by turn undead.

For me it is the gibbering mouther. I love these things. Telegraphing weird arcana they pack flavour, they have some abilities to make encounters more tactically complex and their ability to outright kill adds a bit more pressure to a fight. They can work by themselves, in swarms, in conjunction with casters or as part of an encounter with other aberrations.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Bugbears. Players never think that something that low can deal out so much damage, after the first hit then they're not so silly anymore.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblins I think are kind of known to be lethal when played to their potential but in I think Ankhegs are overlooked big time.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Mephits.

I love mephits! I use them all the time, in multiple campaigns. They are always named Charbles, and they always have the same scratchy old New York accent. I usually use them as gatekeepers and social encounters in dungeons, and they're just so damn fun!

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Dalebert View Post
    I've used him twice, much to the frustration of my players. I like him so much, he inspired a PC. I made a lore bard goblin by that name. He was possessed by Nilbog and it left a permanent impression. He sincerely believes he's THE Nilbog.
    I love how the little bastard is almost impossible to take out. Unless you make the save and use Shocking Grasp. Or something else that denies Reactions.

30. - Top - End - #30

Honestly, ordinary goblins are somewhat underused. Hobgoblins? Used. Orcs? Used. Kobolds? Used. But goblins don't seem like a threat to DMs. They are often used like Drool from LMoP: weak, pathetic creatures at the characters' mercy. Honestly, though, they can be quite deadly in small ambush groups because of Nimble Escape.

P.S. We actually cured Drool of his chronic cowardice. He became a great ally of our group, and went on to slay Yeemik and King Grol after being upgraded to Goblin Boss. We ended up with a great ally in charge of the Cragmaw goblins, and used them later when we went on to play Princes of the Apocalyse. King Drool was slain by Marlos Urnrayle, but not before fighting his way through a large portion of the earth temple and taking the air temple as a temporary base for his goblin crack squad... but that's a story for a different thread.