New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Get Fit: I want a folding vegetable.

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I'm sorry the competition didn't go as desired. Having your weight classes combined is harsh, not really fair for the lighter competitors.
    To be fair a lot of it was me, it was just heavier weights, which I knew beforehand, the only weights that went up were for the overhead press event, and for the pole push event.

Switching activities can really help with stalls IME. Like swapping swimming for cycling for a while, or doing more lighter and working back up.
    Switching things up can definitely help with with a stall. But it's really important to figure out if you're actually stalling before you start changing everything up. Since Cozzer's goals aren't strictly weight related, his weight staying static might not be a stall. Also you have to account for water weight and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Cozzer View Post
    Well, right now I'm doing bodyweight programs that last about a month, and I try to pick different styles (when I complete one that's more strength-oriented, I choose one with more cardio, for example), so there's always a bit of change in my routine. Since I don't have a goal that's more specific than "feeling fit and looking good", it works for me.
    One of the things to think about with the bodyweight exercises is that as your weight goes down, the exercises will get easier, so you'll have to do more challenging variations and what-not to get the same effect. Or doing a great deal more exercises. So that's an important thing to remember.

Also, apparently my weight just unlocked and started going down again since a few days... but I might look into the waist-line thing, it's probably more accurate for my purposes.
    Yeah, it's just a good way to keep things "in check" sort of, it's actually generally speaking more accurate than weighing yourself could be. But it's a little more stressful in some ways.

Thanks, and don't worry about the competition! First-time anxiety is always a big factor, I think... Now that it's out of the way, next time you'll be able to show what you can really do!
    Well I'd competed before, just not in that division. So I don't think it was first time jitters so much as just being not quite ready for that transition.
    Last edited by AMFV; 2018-05-15 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Missed end bracket
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Barbarian in the Playground

One of the things to think about with the bodyweight exercises is that as your weight goes down, the exercises will get easier, so you'll have to do more challenging variations and what-not to get the same effect. Or doing a great deal more exercises. So that's an important thing to remember.
    Yeah, I try to pick programs that keep pushing me to the limit as I get better at it.

Well I'd competed before, just not in that division. So I don't think it was first time jitters so much as just being not quite ready for that transition.
    Oh, I misinterpreted your line about it being your first competition out of novice... Still, the first time of everything doesn't count, I usually say. Good luck for next time!

3. - Top - End - #333
    Firbolg in the Playground

How does the pole push work? I've never heard of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

4. - Top - End - #334
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Not so much a 'get fit' question, but how to 'stay fit'... More of a diet question, really.
    I'm on a high protein, low carb diet. So far, so good.

Unfortunately, due to an infection, subsequent illness and minor surgeries...

I'm now on a liquid/mush diet for at least a month.
    I've also been explicitly told not to drink caffeine or stimulants (i.e; Pre-workout).

Any suggestions? I'm thinking of eating nothing but black/white beans for a while.
    But that's going to get old. Fast.

inb4; 'Just blend everything'.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2018-05-16 at 08:58 AM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ettin in the Playground

Chicken or beef broth? I mean, on it's own it's pretty meh, but I don't know where your carb limit lies. Some protein smoothie powder sounds like a good idea just to get some variation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Not so much a 'get fit' question, but how to 'stay fit'... More of a diet question, really.

I've also been explicitly told not to drink caffeine or stimulants (i.e; Pre-workout).

Any suggestions? I'm thinking of eating nothing but black/white beans for a while.

Some types of yogurt fall within an acceptable range (5-6G of carbs for 22G of protein). Check the backs at the store.

Keto shakes are also made to be acceptable. No stimulants, just flavored protein powder. Most vegan protein is also within acceptable parameters, and only faintly tastes of peas.

Cheese is soft and low carb, so you have something that adds to your beans. So for that matter is fat, which is vital on a low carb diet.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

7. - Top - End - #337
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, I try to pick programs that keep pushing me to the limit as I get better at it.
    Yeah, as long as you're doing maximal effort you should be okay, it's when you're doing submaximal effort that you might need to evaluate.

Oh, I misinterpreted your line about it being your first competition out of novice... Still, the first time of everything doesn't count, I usually say. Good luck for next time!
    Well I can really only get better. And I would have had to make that jump at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    How does the pole push work? I've never heard of it.
    Spoiler: Video of Pole Push
    Show

Basically you and an opponent pick up a log with ropes and try and push each other out of a ring. I weigh about 250 at the current moment, my opponent was 6'7", and I would guess well over 300 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post

First, when you're recovering from illness or something like that you shouldn't try to hold strictly to your diet. You should be more flexible because your diet may not be ideal in this case. So that's just my 2 cents, I mean you can recover from some bloating and weight gain, but if you hamstring your recovery from surgery, it's going to be difficult to catch up on.

Second, probably some sort of whey protein would be your best bet, you can find fairly low carb varieties of that. And they're not terribly expensive.
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by AMFV View Post
    You should be more flexible because your diet may not be ideal in this case.
    Well, yeah. The idea is that if I eat roughly the same nutritional profile, I should come out the end, not feeling like ****, when comes time to do weights again.
    Having said that, weights is right out. But I'm strongly encouraged to maintain light-to-medium cardio (not skipping).

I mean you can recover from some bloating and weight gain, but if you hamstring your recovery from surgery, it's going to be difficult to catch up on.
    Well, yeah. Injury equals negative gains.
    The idea is to maintain fitness/mass while in recovery. It's not impossible. Just...Difficult. But there's nothing wrong with it, should I choose to keep it. The body demand for protein is way higher post-surgery. If I was to keep to my diet, that would be excellent. But my doctor doesn't think I can, based on the fact that I can't quite eat solids. I can't eat spicy food either. So there goes flavourtown.

But, everything that tastes good, that is also liquid or mush, is full of fat (not a bad thing) or is carbs - either way, not protein. I can still eat eggs, so that's something.

Second, probably some sort of whey protein would be your best bet
    That's what I'm thinking. However, the only kind I have in my house labels itself as pre-workout, which is full of stimulants.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2018-05-16 at 07:43 PM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

9. - Top - End - #339
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I am irritated with my body. As my bodyweight drops my blood pressure has risen, i started 120/80 for blood and am now 140/90 a year and over 100 pounds lost later. I feel like I steer from crises to crises.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

What did everyone do over memorial day?

I spent the weekend at the beach, went on a bunch of hikes and only fell off one waterfall!

11. - Top - End - #341
    Ogre in the Playground

What did everyone do over memorial day?

I spent the weekend at the beach, went on a bunch of hikes and only fell off one waterfall!
    Eh. If movies have taught me anything, it's that waterfalls are a minor nuisance at worst

(Do you have pretty nature pictures?)
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Mouse View Post
    Eh. If movies have taught me anything, it's that waterfalls are a minor nuisance at worst

(Do you have pretty nature pictures?)
    I do! Not a lot, I don't take many pictures, but I will get them posted tomorrow.

Today I did 10 miles on Mt. St. Helens. I went from 3,000 to 5,000 ft elevation, I have some pictures of us in the snow and on top of a cliff I will post when I have a computer available.

Beach
    Spoiler
    Show

St. Helens
    Spoiler
    Show

Warning: Big pictures. I'm the chunky guy.

I'm also changing up my exercise routine. I clearly am not building up my endurance for inclines enough, so I'm going to add some combination of treadmill with an incline and stairmaster daily. I'm currently cycling at a resistance of 16, which is decent but doesn't seem sufficient now that we are going up mountains...
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2018-06-03 at 06:22 PM.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Ogre in the Playground

Damn, that's gorgeous! The beach in particular looks like a place that's good for both body and soul.

Also, haven't you lost even more weight since you last posted pictures? It looks like it!

In these necks of the woods, I tried relaxing the sugar free thing in May to see if I could moderate it. The results are... mixed. I'm still doing better than I was, but I did stress eat candy more times than I'm comfortable with, and ended up consuming sugary goods on half of all days (mostly just small stuff but also the occasional entire pint of ice cream...). And the cravings, ****ing hell, they're NOT getting any better from it. I'll go back to the complete ban for the rest of June.

I received my scales. Apparently my weight fluctuates an entire 2.3 kg depending on time of day and food/water consumption. Good to know. But that's a curiosity. I'll stick to the moving average and not sweat the individual results. So far neither the scales nor my intuition point to any significant loss in May, but also, duh, I've been slacking.

On the workout front, I've been biking to work consistently all throughout May, so that's on a good track. It's starting to feel fun and relaxing and so much easier than the bus.

And I think I've just signed up for my company's running club?? So now I have to get started??? Or I'm gonna be publicly (in my own head) shamed????? This terrifies me! But I used to really enjoy running, and if this can be the kick I need, all the better. And "fun" bonus, it's a distressingly direct way of addressing a lot of old fears related to bullying and inadequacy. (save me....)

Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Damn, that's gorgeous! The beach in particular looks like a place that's good for both body and soul.

Also, haven't you lost even more weight since you last posted pictures? It looks like it!

In these necks of the woods, I tried relaxing the sugar free thing in May to see if I could moderate it. The results are... mixed. I'm still doing better than I was, but I did stress eat candy more times than I'm comfortable with, and ended up consuming sugary goods on half of all days (mostly just small stuff but also the occasional entire pint of ice cream...). And the cravings, ****ing hell, they're NOT getting any better from it. I'll go back to the complete ban for the rest of June.

I received my scales. Apparently my weight fluctuates an entire 2.3 kg depending on time of day and food/water consumption. Good to know. But that's a curiosity. I'll stick to the moving average and not sweat the individual results. So far neither the scales nor my intuition point to any significant loss in May, but also, duh, I've been slacking.

On the workout front, I've been biking to work consistently all throughout May, so that's on a good track. It's starting to feel fun and relaxing and so much easier than the bus.

And I think I've just signed up for my company's running club?? So now I have to get started??? Or I'm gonna be publicly (in my own head) shamed????? This terrifies me! But I used to really enjoy running, and if this can be the kick I need, all the better. And "fun" bonus, it's a distressingly direct way of addressing a lot of old fears related to bullying and inadequacy. (save me....)

It was a very pretty beach!

Sort of? My weight has hovered around 320 for a while, but I am more muscular now then I have ever been so there is some recomposition stuff going on. My arms in particular have lost their sheath of fat, it looks a little odd.

Moderation is harder then abstinence IMO, good on you for trying!

Nice work on the biking! Probably the best way to get excercise in. Don't sweat the weight shifting, I factually gain 2-3 pounds over the day and drop it overnight. If you are eating better and getting more excercise you will gain muscle, so not losing weight just means they are canceling out.

:/ bullies suck. I am super jealous thst you enjoy running though, it always felt like torture to me.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ogre in the Playground

Nice work on the biking! Probably the best way to get excercise in. Don't sweat the weight shifting, I factually gain 2-3 pounds over the day and drop it overnight. If you are eating better and getting more excercise you will gain muscle, so not losing weight just means they are canceling out.
    I know the muscle building is a Thing. So I actually got a scale with body fat measurement, in anticipation of the utopian day when my weight plateaus while I'm still working out. I figure more metrics are better than fewer. Right now I'm not sweating it, just letting the numbers aggregate.

:/ bullies suck. I am super jealous thst you enjoy running though, it always felt like torture to me.
    I knoooooow. Bullies suck so hard. I have such a visceral fear of working out in the presence of other people that I've basically (with a few unsuccessful exceptions) refrained since frikkin' middle school.

So I guess it's about time I got over it. I know intellectually it isn't scary and that nothing bad is gonna happen. But I am legit terrified and really looking forward to the day after Tuesday when I'll know for sure whether my total ineptitude will make me the victim of merciless mockery and social ostracization at work going forward (spoiler: it probably won't).
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

16. - Top - End - #346
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I know the muscle building is a Thing. So I actually got a scale with body fat measurement, in anticipation of the utopian day when my weight plateaus while I'm still working out. I figure more metrics are better than fewer. Right now I'm not sweating it, just letting the numbers aggregate.

I knoooooow. Bullies suck so hard. I have such a visceral fear of working out in the presence of other people that I've basically (with a few unsuccessful exceptions) refrained since frikkin' middle school.

So I guess it's about time I got over it. I know intellectually it isn't scary and that nothing bad is gonna happen. But I am legit terrified and really looking forward to the day after Tuesday when I'll know for sure whether my total ineptitude will make me the victim of merciless mockery and social ostracization at work going forward (spoiler: it probably won't).
    Do the right thing and trust your body will too, that gets the healthiest results. I get caught up in daily weigh ins and they cause me more depression then anything else.

I'm pretty sure the bullies from yesteryear have their own lives and are usually too busy as adults sniping coworkers to bother people for running.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Bugbear in the Playground

Those are some real lovely photos, Tvtyrant! I've been thinking about getting into hiking myself-- I'd like to find a local group amenable to taking on a rank beginner.

Good to hear, although... I thought everybody in Denmark bicycled everywhere they went anyway.

Things have conspired against me this past couple of weeks, so I have been a bit lax in keeping up with my diet and going to the gym (especially the past two days, due to some very poorly timed illness). I've averaged 500 calories short of my daily goal this past week, and I think I've only made it to the gym two or three times, so... Definitely not looking forward to weighing in tomorrow. I was on a steady upward trajectory, too, so it'll be a real bummer if the weight starts dropping now.
    Last edited by Comrade; 2018-06-07 at 12:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    Those are some real lovely photos, Tvtyrant! I've been thinking about getting into hiking myself-- I'd like to find a local group amenable to taking on a rank beginner.

Good to hear, although... I thought everybody in Denmark bicycled everywhere they went anyway.

Things have conspired against me this past couple of weeks, so I have been a bit lax in keeping up with my diet and going to the gym (especially the past two days, due to some very poorly timed illness). I've averaged 500 calories short of my daily goal this past week, and I think I've only made it to the gym two or three times, so... Definitely not looking forward to weighing in tomorrow. I was on a steady upward trajectory, too, so it'll be a real bummer if the weight starts dropping now.
    Meetup.com is good, or facebook groups. Or if you are in Oregon just come with me :P

Things are sometimes going to get in the way. Better to jump back on the horse then to be angry with yourself for falling off.
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2018-06-07 at 06:45 PM.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm pretty sure the bullies from yesteryear have their own lives and are usually too busy as adults sniping coworkers to bother people for running.
    Hee hee, true, and even if not, what do I care? It's just hard to unlearn something that was normalized before you even knew what "normalization" meant

I went for a run this morning. The consistent biking has really paid off, because I managed much longer than I thought I would. 1.5 km to be exact... Nothing to brag about, but pretty alright considering I haven't gone for a run in, like, five years. Having shed a bunch of excess weight probably helps, too.

Good to hear, although... I thought everybody in Denmark bicycled everywhere they went anyway. .
    Nah. We just all have a pocket bike that we whip out whenever we see a tourist.

Are you still considering moving here?

As for the weight, small bumps and valleys don't matter. It's the overall trajectory that does. That said, I hope the weigh-in has good news ^^
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

20. - Top - End - #350

Meetup.com is good, or facebook groups. Or if you are in Oregon just come with me :P
    I've been thinking of trying Meetup.com out (for hiking and a number of other things)-- wasn't sure if all that many people actively use it, or how amenable they are to accepting new folks. And alas, I'm afraid I'm a little too far south for Oregon, but I appreciate the offer.

Are you still considering moving here?
    Not at this point; my plans have changed considerably, and I decided it'd be best to stay here and work on them. That being said, I still adore Denmark and given the opportunity would happily visit again for a third time (and then maybe a fourth, or a fifth). I'm just a little worried if I do visit again I might decide 'screw my plans, I'm moving here anyway'
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I've been thinking of trying Meetup.com out (for hiking and a number of other things)-- wasn't sure if all that many people actively use it, or how amenable they are to accepting new folks. And alas, I'm afraid I'm a little too far south for Oregon, but I appreciate the offer.

Not at this point; my plans have changed considerably, and I decided it'd be best to stay here and work on them. That being said, I still adore Denmark and given the opportunity would happily visit again for a third time (and then maybe a fourth, or a fifth). I'm just a little worried if I do visit again I might decide 'screw my plans, I'm moving here anyway'
    It is pretty popular around here. I don't use it for this, but I have a group already.

I went backpacking this weekend. I don't have a lot of pictures because it was super boring, but there is one of me.
    Spoiler: Me
    Show

We went up around Carson Washington, next to Mineral Springs Campsite. We parked at the campsite, walked a few miles to the trail and then 5 more up the trail.

I've been on Atkins for a year today. Comparison photos below.

Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2018-06-10 at 10:19 PM.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Ogre in the Playground

I can happily report that jogging with my work mates has so far been a very positive experience. I keep getting invites to all the summer runs in my city (yes, sure, I'll grab a 10k this week, no problem…). It's pretty cool! Some also-jogging lady even greeted me on my morning run today. There seems to be some kind of community among runners?

I'm also getting into some sort of routine about it. Every second day I get up, throw on running clothes, chill out for ten-ish minutes, go for a run, shower, make a smoothie, watch last night's news, then leave. It works pretty well.

(two fresh fruits and a glob of yogurt is a surprisingly hefty breakfast, actually)

He he. Come for the mermaid, stay for the liquorice. Or smørrebrød? The jantelov? ****, why do people come here?

I don't remember if I've said, but if you ever make it to Copenhagen, feel free to throw me a PM if you wanna hang out

Spoiler
    Show

Wow. Just... wow. That looks like such hard work, and so much respect to you for pulling it off. You're awesome.
    Last edited by Glass Mouse; 2018-06-15 at 01:23 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

23. - Top - End - #353

Spoiler
    Show

Damn, man, that's some serious progress. Good work!

I can happily report that jogging with my work mates has so far been a very positive experience.
    I can only imagine running/jogging is far less of a dreadful experience when you're doing it with other people. Misery loves company, after all.

He he. Come for the mermaid, stay for the liquorice. Or smørrebrød? The jantelov? ****, why do people come here?

I don't remember if I've said, but if you ever make it to Copenhagen, feel free to throw me a PM if you wanna hang out
    It must be the language. Danish is such a notoriously lovely, melodious language, who can resist going to a place where you're surrounded by it? And I will keep that in mind if/when I'm able to visit Denmark again! I direly need to get my Danish back in shape before that happens though, haha.

On the fitness front: alas, as expected, my weight did drop, though not severely-- as of last weigh-in I was wavering just short of 149 pounds. Not a precipitous decline, but a bit disappointing after finally cresting 150. At least I've either maintained or improved the weight I'm lifting in various exercises, though.

Going to weigh myself again today at the gym and see if hopefully I'm back on an upward trajectory.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I can happily report that jogging with my work mates has so far been a very positive experience. I keep getting invites to all the summer runs in my city (yes, sure, I'll grab a 10k this week, no problem…). It's pretty cool! Some also-jogging lady even greeted me on my morning run today. There seems to be some kind of community among runners?

I'm also getting into some sort of routine about it. Every second day I get up, throw on running clothes, chill out for ten-ish minutes, go for a run, shower, make a smoothie, watch last night's news, then leave. It works pretty well.

(two fresh fruits and a glob of yogurt is a surprisingly hefty breakfast, actually)

Wow. Just... wow. That looks like such hard work, and so much respect to you for pulling it off. You're awesome.
    Nice! I'm glad running is going well and not full of jerks. Routines are great, especially morning ones. Keep you feeling good for hours.

Thank you! I feel kind of bluesy about it honestly, but hopefully 60-80 more pounds will help.

Damn, man, that's some serious progress. Good work!

I can only imagine running/jogging is far less of a dreadful experience when you're doing it with other people. Misery loves company, after all.

On the fitness front: alas, as expected, my weight did drop, though not severely-- as of last weigh-in I was wavering just short of 149 pounds. Not a precipitous decline, but a bit disappointing after finally cresting 150. At least I've either maintained or improved the weight I'm lifting in various exercises, though.

Going to weigh myself again today at the gym and see if hopefully I'm back on an upward trajectory.
    Give it some time. I dropped to 318 one day, then jumped up and didn't get back under it for three weeks. Short term weighing is too prone to water/hormone/food fluctuations, make a trend graph and it will be less depressing and more accurate.

I know when I focus on the process I can work myself into a funk, which actually does nothing to help and so is wasting time and happiness.

25. - Top - End - #355

Thought i'd jump into this, considering i'm back into building some muscle mass (5 kilos of it in the past 3 months, actually), finally getting back into climbing (slowly, because of work demands) and just finding myself feeling so much better now, even if just emotionally!

so yeah, hey y'all

thanks to thecrimsonmage for the awesome avatar... you rock, dude.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by DemonicAngel View Post
    Thought i'd jump into this, considering i'm back into building some muscle mass (5 kilos of it in the past 3 months, actually), finally getting back into climbing (slowly, because of work demands) and just finding myself feeling so much better now, even if just emotionally!

so yeah, hey y'all
    Hey!

Rock climbing or mountain climbing?

27. - Top - End - #357

Rock climbing. I used to do lots of sport lead climbing, but now I mostly boulder, although Im definitely gonna get back to sport routes.
    Something about that feeling of height and tension and success is pretty much the epitome of happiness as far as I'm concerned.

I did some mountain climbing during my south American trip (and to a lesser extent, hiked up mountains during my service)

28. - Top - End - #358
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Rock climbing. I used to do lots of sport lead climbing, but now I mostly boulder, although Im definitely gonna get back to sport routes.
    Something about that feeling of height and tension and success is pretty much the epitome of happiness as far as I'm concerned.

I did some mountain climbing during my south American trip (and to a lesser extent, hiked up mountains during my service)
    That takes hecka skills, I am impressed. Rock climbing scares me to be honest.

29. - Top - End - #359

That takes hecka skills, I am impressed. Rock climbing scares me to be honest.

I've just been doing it for so long (first time was when i was 8, let's say... 16 years ago, almost?) that fear just isn't part of the equation anymore.
    I've gotten the fear of falling down beaten out of me the hard way (by falling. repeatedly, over and over again, from various heights, both in a controlled and uncontrolled manner).
    But i digress, the main thing is, it's such a complete body workout, working a lot of very small muscles that most people don't even think they need to work on (hell, my forearms are still bigger then most people even when i'm bent out of shape). I can't recommend it enough for people who find weight lifting boring or uninspiring (no offence intended)

30. - Top - End - #360

Give it some time. I dropped to 318 one day, then jumped up and didn't get back under it for three weeks. Short term weighing is too prone to water/hormone/food fluctuations, make a trend graph and it will be less depressing and more accurate.

I know when I focus on the process I can work myself into a funk, which actually does nothing to help and so is wasting time and happiness.
    I'm not too bent out of shape over it or anything, I know I can work my way back up. Fortunately at my last weigh-in I hadn't lost any more weight-- in fact, I had the exact same weight as the week before-- so at least I've reversed the downward trend.

so yeah, hey y'all
    Welcome! Glad to hear you're doing better physically and emotionally.
    Last edited by Comrade; 2018-06-19 at 01:38 AM.