New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confessions

1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Confessions

Inspired by the question in this forum about the quality of Season 7 of GoT...

So, what's the "Nerd" thing that you never liked? What's the "Must Like" things you never cared about?

I have quite a long list, in no particular order.
    • I fell asleep during the first book of Ice and Fire and never bothered finishing it
    • I have never watched a single episode of GoT
    • Breaking Bad is a horrible, horrible show
    • I have never even been tempted to play a Final Fantasy game
    • I have yet to finish a Witcher game
    • I really really REALLY am over zombies. As in "been over them since mid 90's
    • I have never watched an Anime that I enjoyed
    • Pokemon Go is the only pokemon ANYTHING I have watched or played
    • The Nolan Batman movies are the only thing in the Universe more overrated than the Watchmen comic. And Heth Ledger's Joker is Worst Joker
    • The Watchmen comic is the only comic more overrated than Batman The Dark Knight Returns

...My list is really much longer than this, but...
    Last edited by Avilan the Grey; 2017-12-03 at 05:02 AM.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Confessions

Really tired atm, bout to head to bed, but for me, off the top of my head, it's two things: Star Wars, and Star Trek. I've never watched a single full episode of Star Trek, I tried to once, made it through about 10 minutes before I felt like picking up a gun and ending myself to make it stop. Some of the absolute worst drek I've ever come across. Sometimes when I have the local news on, it comes on afterwards, and the moment I start hearing it I cringe and quickly change the channel.

I find Star Wars to be vastly over-rated. I watched the original movies(well, some of it? I honestly can't remember if I watched it all) when I was about 9-10, and even then I thought it was awful. But I recently was convinced that it was just my childhood self, that I just didn't "Get it". So I watched it again, and I hate it even more. There is literally nothing about it that I enjoy, though at least I found myself capable of actually watching it, unlike Star Trek. I watched the Phantom Menace in theaters when I was 18 and on over night/off-post leave while I was in the army, and I at least found that to be somewhat watchable/amusing(I like Jar Jar Binks. He's hilarious, at least in small doses). I then watched the 2nd one a few months after it came out on DVD release, and went back to not even being mildly entertained. I haven't watched the third, nor do I plan on it, even though I know it's where what-his-name finally becomes EVIL.

So yeah, two of the most popular franchises in modern history, and I can't stand either of them. Even worse my best friend is a massive Star Wars fan/nerd, and enjoys Star Trek, so until I asked him to stop talking about it, he was constantly bugging me about it, trying to get me to like it, pointing out this and that and how subtle this thing is that eventually lead to this thing...argh!

Honestly, now that I'm really thinking, I think it's just Space Opera's in general I dislike. I watched the first two or three episodes of BattleStar Galatica, and was just as unimpressed, and the same goes for Stargate(My best friend is a Space Opera fan, now that I sit back and look at it, because it's him that has had me try watching all these shows). The only time I've enjoyed a space opera, was a hilarious fanfiction written by a guy named NoodleHammer, who has built a godlike Naruto from the ground up, and had him traverse several different universes(DC universe, Sekirei, and Stargate). The Stargate universe was Naruto's final stop, and it was hilarious. It almost made me want to give Stargate another chance, he actually made the villains(The little worm things that have Egyptian names, and inhabit other peoples bodies) pretty interesting. But then I realized it wouldn't be the same without his unique twist on it, so I didn't bother.
    Last edited by Starwulf; 2017-12-03 at 06:28 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    • Breaking Bad is a horrible, horrible show
    Gah, YES. I love my Macbethian protagonists, and (judging strictly by the first two episodes) Walter White, his virtually immediate descent into evil, and his excruciatingly unlikeable loved ones are a textbook case of how not to write that kind of story.

Well, given your post, my av, and the fact that I've just been talking about Macbethian protagonists, best start off with:

• I don't think of "anime" as a descriptive category of entertainment.
    • I will never, ever keep tabs on mainline DC or Marvel, whether it's comics or "cinematic universes". It seems like the kind of thing they write soap opera digests for.
    • I am bewildered as to why anyone with the proper disdain for Batman Forever would like The Fifth Element or The Chronicles of Riddick.
    • In Avatar: The Last Airbender, I quite liked "The Great Divide". Really, screw ancestral grudges.
    • I still love Harry Potter. I adore Hamilton. (This qualifies as a confession because I'm a conservative.)
    Don't blame me. I voted for Kodos.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

I have never found a fantasy setting that I truly loved, I like pieces of some but never the whole thing, the closest I got is Dark souls and Nehwon.
    Despite my avatar I'm not a fan of anime

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Media Confessions

Despite watching an immense amount of Science Fiction and Fantasy "genre" films and TV before the 1990's I haven't seen any post 80's "Star Wars" films.

The only anime I've watched besides Galaxy Express, Akira, and Nausica and the Valley of the Winds in the 1980's, has been what my son was watching (mostly Naruto).

No post 1980's video/computer games except for some brief moments when my son insisted (they give me a headache).

I never was much into superheroes.

Almost all of the Fantasy and Science Fiction "genre" media I've consumed is pre-1990's, and what little I'm familiar with besides "Buffy" is books not films or television.

I've never had Cable or Netflix so all that is only on there is unknown to me.

I've mostly missed the last quarter century of media (but if you want a list of earlier stuff to check out I'm your guy).
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Despite watching an immense amount of Science Fiction and Fantasy "genre" films and TV before the 1990's I haven't seen any post 80's "Star Wars" films.

The only anime I've watched besides Galaxy Express, Akira, and Nausica and the Valley of the Winds in the 1980's, has been what my son was watching (mostly Naruto).

No post 1980's video/computer games except for some brief moments when my son insisted (they give me a headache).

I never was much into superheroes.

Almost all of the Fantasy and Science Fiction "genre" media I've consumed is pre-1990's, and what little I'm familiar with besides "Buffy" is books not films or television.

I've never had Cable or Netflix so all that is only on there is unknown to me.

I've mostly missed the last quarter century of media (but if you want a list of earlier stuff to check out I'm your guy).
    But you are fine with that rigth? Also, is there a reason for it? Or you just can't get your excitement up for new things?
    Last edited by Taro; 2017-12-03 at 06:31 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Hm... there are very few things I actively "dislike" but I guess a handful of things where I very much not share other people's (seemingly) huge enthusiasm for. With many things, I don't mind. i.e. I like GoT, I'm in no need to be the first to watch a new episode but I acknowledge it's mostly entertaining. I guess there are a few media I could put on such a list...

• Most Nolan movies. Don't get me wrong, I am aware he is a very capable man. I won't claim any of his movies I can think of are bad. But... I never felt the burning passion for especially Dark Knight as many others. It's a solid movie and I've come to appreciate a few things people have pointed out to me I didn't notice myself but that still gets it nowhere near my top 10 movie list. (Also, Interstellar. Eff you if you throw the power of love in a supposedly hard sci-fi movie)
    • Watchmen. I haven't read the comic but since my problem stems from something pretty basic I feel confident it won't make a difference: Don't make an omnipotent character if you can't handle it. Then make him less omnipotent. But if all of your plot revolves around a literal god you have to expect him to be at least as smart as me, and if he's not... well, your story falls flat
    • Ender's Game... Not talking about the movie but the book. Simple reasoning: Don't write a super genius character if it requires you to make the rest of the cast idiots. Seriously, nobody but him could figure out to think in three dimensions when playing space rugby? Come on, man. (That's ignoring whatever other beef you might have with the author)
    • ... Rick & Morty... Okay, stop. No, I absolutely don't dislike the show. I like it. I enjoy watching pretty much every episode. But... I totally fail to see what sets it apart from.. well, not any but every other show going in that direction. Okay, maybe it shouldn't be here because I really don't dislike anything about the show itself, just some of the fans
    • I don't think I will ever rewatch LOTR. Or reread it. I skim the Silmarillion for the better parts when I feel like it but... you can't do that with LOTR. And I don't feel like taking the whole thing in again. It's too much of a slog to sit through the whole thing and it's just not written exciting enough.
    • I read quite a bit of Stephen King's work but never IT, or the original IT movie.
    • (Come to think of it, I feel like there are quite a lot of iconic movies I never saw... or saw only when I was way too young)

There's quite a list of video games I haven't played, including only playing the first level of Dark Souls, only starting Witcher 2 and Witcher 3 and never getting close to 1 (okay, I own it. It was a bundle) though that has no reasons concerning the game really.
    I only started playing the first Mass Effect game for like two hours or so.
    If I went on listing every video game I never played this would get pretty long.. I guess if there are things I feel like "confessing" it would be the hole's in my Zelda catalog. There are a few games I didn't play because I lacked the consoles for it but... I think I started Majora's Mask five times or so and never finished it. I have a save that's pretty far ahead, like 50% of the game or so but I'd have to force myself to go back and play it. I can't quite say why but... I don't enjoy the game, for some reason. I could claim I prefer the 2D games, which is true, but I got totally addicted to BotW so... something else must be wrong, too.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Taro View Post
    But you are fine with that rigth? Also, is there a reason for it? Or you just can't get your excitement up for new things?
    Mostly lack of time do to family and work duties combined with the fact that my wife just doesn't like a lot of "genre" stuff I do (her tastes runs more to 24, Game of Thrones, House of Cards, and Sons of Anarchy while I prefer Buffy and Star Trek).

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Let's see...

I've never read any of the Harry Potter books nor watched any of the films. I recall getting the first book as a gift when it first came out, because a relative thought it would appeal to me because I had recently been reading The Lord of the Rings. I took one look at the cover of some kid riding a broomstick and immediately decided I wasn't interested, because that was, in my mind at the time, nowhere near similar to what I liked about LotR. Which was unfair of me and a result of my age at the time, obviously - I actually have no idea whether or not I'd like the series. But I'm not sure if I'll ever try them, either, as my interest hasn't really increased even in acknowledging that I was wrong to write them off like that.

There's a ton of films I have never seen that most people have: any Indiana Jones films, The Matrix, any Batman live-action films, any Superman films, Avatar (the blue aliens one), Frozen, almost all of the Star Trek films (only seen First Contact), the above-mentioned Harry Potter ones, and plenty more that it would get tedious to think of and list. Basically, growing up I saw a lot of Disney animated films, Star Wars, LotR, Shrek, and not a ton else. As an adult, I watch mostly select superhero films - and even then not all, as I skip ones centered on certain heroes I'm less interested in (like Captain America or Ant Man), or ones that I hear consistently are bad (DC's recent films sans Wonder Woman). I'm just not a big movie guy, and doubt I ever will be.

Speaking of Star Trek, I've seen little of that. I watched through The Next Generation on Netflix some years ago, and afterward watched First Contact, which I'd been informed was the only good-ish TNG film. It was overall enjoyable enough, if with definite low points. I don't find myself particularly interested in watching other Star Trek series, though, in large part because what I enjoyed about the show wasn't the setting, but specific characters who aren't in the other series.

I have never seen Rick & Morty, or Breaking Bad, or Game of Thrones, and probably plenty of other television shows that many people here have. Decent chance I'd like at least some of them if I tried them, but I keep feeling like there's other things I'd rather spend my time on.

Despite quite enjoying a lot of anime-style video games, I haven't watched any actual anime in over a decade (unless you count Avatar or The Legend of Korra). And even back then I mostly watched Dragon Ball Z and a scattered few other Toonami shows.

I had never heard of RWBY before the announcement of BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle last July. I have since gotten into it, but only because I saw some BlazBlue combo videos which used some of the show's music, and was surprised by how much I liked that. And even now, I do actually like the music better than the show itself.

Video game related ones hardly feel like confessions given I've not been shy about voicing them over in the Gaming (Other) section, but...
    - I'm a big JRPG fan who nonetheless thinks the Final Fantasy franchise is mostly bad to mediocre. My favorite of those I've played is actually the very first. Or Lost Odyssey, if you count that.
    - I dislike open-world game design as a general rule and prefer more linear games. I actually avoided the most recent Mass Effect and Zelda games specifically because they switched to an open-world design, despite loving both franchises otherwise (yes, even ME3's ending wouldn't have put me off that series had it not done that).
    - I enjoyed Dark Souls but think it's overrated, and particularly can't understand anyone praising its near-nonexistent story and storytelling.
    - I'll never understand people liking/praising Shadow of the Colossus. I found it to be essentially a few good ideas for boss fights spread far too thin over the course of 16 of them.
    - I consider Dragon Age 2 the best game in that franchise. And that's because I genuinely enjoyed it a lot despite its flaws, not because I have a low opinion of the others.
    - I enjoy both pre-Awakening and present Fire Emblem games and am baffled by the arguments I've seen between factions that enjoy only one or the other, as if there were a huge difference between them.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

You know all those "Classic Movies" made decades ago that are supposed to be really great examples of cinema? I think they're basically all dreck.

While we're on movies, there is no such thing as a horror film that is not a complete waste of time.

I love Magical Girl anime, but I hate Yuri. And I wish there were more male characters - they don't even have to have magic of their own, I just want an entire gender to have major representation period. Modern stuff is more guilty of the above issues then older works.

I tried playing Okami, but it just didn't grab me.
    I'm a Prestige Class! Thanks Zaydos!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

I don't like any of the Final Fantasy games apart from Tactics. I think that even from the beginning they weren't that good. In fact, there have only been a few JRPGs that I actually liked (Mainly Pokemon, which it has been forever since I played it, and the MOTHER series, but I didn't like the 1st one). I find the turn based fighting boring and tedious, and like either tactical turn based strategy combat that games like Final Fantasy Tactics or older Fallout 1 and 2 or hack and slash/shooter combat in games like Elder Scrolls or newer Fallout New Vegas onward.
    Last edited by 8BitNinja; 2017-12-05 at 05:06 PM.
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    — The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Let's go down the list then, and see how many people I can make cry at my heresy...

I like the Star Wars prequels. I like tem more than the new movies, in fact, especially in lght of only having bothered to see the Force Awakens.

I liked Green Lantern and Superman Returns.

I thought that out of the original Batman live-action movies, Batman Forever was best and I'd probably enjoy Batman and Robin if I saw it. Batman Begins I watched once on TV and found it meh. I haven't bothered with any of the recent ones.

Game of Thrones/A Song of fire and Ice do no distantly appeal to me and I frequently mangle their title together into a mesh to show my disdain.

Stuff like Breaking Bad does'teven touch my radar, this sentences is literally the most I have ever cared to expend my precious time on considering.

I find Teen Titans Go! to be absolutely hilarious and I love it, most of all when it is doing the episodes everyone else feels insulted by. The ony tragedy is that is was not allowed to co-exist with the other shows.

I find Naruto's filler arcs to be increasingly better than the main arcs, and Rock Lee's Springtime of Youth to be vastly superior to said main plot.

Vampires were only ever even halfway entertaining during Angel, and only then because of Smile Time. That Jubilee is still Best Character Ever despite bveing a vampire merely shows that not even the massive drag factor can dent her awesome.

I don't think FF VII is the best Final Fantasy.

I prefer dubs to subs. Team Four Star is better than the official dub.

Ash Ketchum is awesome, and never more so when fragrantly doing ridiculous and impossible things that should never be allowed.

Pikachu is and always has been Best Pokémon.

I was so apathetic to Ghost in the Shell after watching it that I can now only vaguely tell you what happened because Bennett the Sage reviewed it on Anime Abandon.

I thought Ghostbuster 2016 was okay. I think Ghostbusters 2 was as good as the original. I quite liked Ghostbusters: The video game.

I have never played a Mario, Metroid or Sonic game, nor will I.

I think Masters of Orion 3 was better than 2.

Civilisation reached its apogee at Civ IV and then went downhill.

Deponia was great and the ending was fine. Especially the ending to Deponia Doomsday.

Batman is just not a very interesting or entertaining character in his onw right (unless played by Adam West).

Starscream is Best Transformer, followed closely by Grimlock, then Soundwave and then Jazz. Optimus Prime is not even distantly close. Hot Rod always did suck, but never worse than when he was Rodimus Prime.

Any episode with a Dalek in it is automatically a good episode.

The Hobbit films were great, they were fine as they were and the extra eElves especially Tauriel, were especially welcome.

Elves are better than Dwarves and always have been.

Derpy is Best Pony.

C&C4 was not utterly terrible, though it was the worst (and only barely "worst" and not "least good") of the series.

I have never played Skyrim, nor am I ever likely to.

Return of the Jedi is the beast Star Wars moive, because it has the biggest starship battle in it.

Anime giant robots are vastly inferior to BattleMechs and their ilk, and the less humanoid they are, the better.

Vehicles > people.

I have never watched a full episode of Big Bang Theory.

I think 40k is crap, has always been crap, and has gotten worse over time - the only thing they ever did that was remotely clever with it was Orks; Warhammer Fantasy actually had some merit to it before they sunk that. I consider GW, in fact, generally sucks period.

The Empire is far better than the Rebels.

Technically competant acting means nothing if the setting is wrong.

I am completely fed-up to the back teeth by the "underdog verses The Man" and the corruption bollocks. Learn a different tune, please, media (especially media across the pond, thanks).

Logan (the film) does not remotely appeal to me to watch it, despite me liking all of the previous X-Men films (yes, all of them, including the Wolverine ones), regardless of how well acted and produced it is, it staring my second-favourite X-Man and having X-23 in it.

I thought Independance Day was freakin' hilarious.

Lazers > firearms.

Marvel Comics got worse in the Noughties than they were in the Ninties.

The one true Transformers continuities are the Marvel UK run. Even though they are messed up in places enough that it is continuities plural.

Men unconvicingly pretending to be females (especially if they have beards) is never not funny (see: panto, 'Allo 'Allo, those Bounty adverts etc etc).

As an English person, I don't drink tea. Or coffee, nowadays, come to that.

AD&D was a pretty crap set of rules that I have no nostalgia for (it was not my first, nor second, nor even third RPG system) and was mercifully superceded by 3.0 and the later versions - even 4E and probably 5E.

The best Discworld world books were the ones with the guards, except for Nightwatch and Monstrous Regiment which were mediocre and terrible respectively.

Eleven was the best Doctor and Moffat's run (especially during his tenure) was the best Doctor Who has ever been.

Thrawn was a better villain than Vader ever was, to say nothing of Kylo Ren (because I have nothing to say of Kylo Ren).

King Sombra was tragically wasted and never more so than by the comics.

Discord was much better as a villain.

FemShep is the only Shep.

Generation I was the best Transformers era, but not the best Pokémon era, but (sadly) probably the second-best pony era.

O'Neill>Sheridan>Kirk>Janeway>Archer>Picard>Sisko.

Sherlock holds no appeal for me.

Season 5 of Babylon 5 was not too bad, considering.

Doing A Hard Thing is in a computer game has no appeal whatsoever.

All of the above is genuinely true and you can't stop me!

Muahahahahahahahaha!
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2017-12-06 at 02:56 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

• The Nolan Batman movies are the only thing in the Universe more overrated than the Watchmen comic. And Heth Ledger's Joker is Worst Joker
    HOW DARE YOU!

• The Watchmen comic is the only comic more overrated than Batman The Dark Knight Returns
    HOW DARE YOU!!!
    Personally, for me is Frank Miller's Dark Knight saga

Quote Originally Posted by DomaDoma View Post
    • I don't think of "anime" as a descriptive category of entertainment.
    I think it's more like a different medium? Like the difference between "comic strips" and "comic books"? I mean, anime (like manga) has it's own tropes and genre conventions that doesn't share with other formats... But I agree it's not very much descriptive as a term.

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    • Watchmen. I haven't read the comic but since my problem stems from something pretty basic I feel confident it won't make a difference: Don't make an omnipotent character if you can't handle it. Then make him less omnipotent. But if all of your plot revolves around a literal god you have to expect him to be at least as smart as me, and if he's not... well, your story falls flat
    The whole point of Watchmen revolves around why even "omnipotence" sucks among other things. In a sense, Dr. Manhattan is actually one of the best deconstructions of the "Superman" types there is (altho by no means it's a critique of any particular superhero).

I agree with you that omnipotent characters are pointless more often than not (because hardly ever there's an actual reason to have them other than author's lazyness); but seriously, Watchmen deals with him brilliantly*. You should read it and see by yourself. The movie really sucks on every narrative level. The comic is very different, and has an actual point.

*Personally, I think it's the best story that includes an overpowered entity without it being a villain.

• ... Rick & Morty... Okay, stop. No, I absolutely don't dislike the show. I like it. I enjoy watching pretty much every episode. But... I totally fail to see what sets it apart from.. well, not any but every other show going in that direction. Okay, maybe it shouldn't be here because I really don't dislike anything about the show itself, just some of the fans
    I wanna play Devil's Advocate here, specially because I actually agree with you. Rick & Morty ISN'T that special of a show. But after careful thinking about the plotlines and subtext behind, I came to the realization it's actually one of the smartest shows there is. It's not the most funny in the least, but at least it's smartfully crafted. You can check out Wisecrack channel on YT, he somewhat explains why (better than I would, anyway). Despite this, yeah, if I wanna have a laugh, I have a bunch other shows I'd rather choose. I love that style of humor but I don't think R&M truly excel at that either.

My confession
    • Never gonna read/watch Game of Thrones, not my type of show. This extends to Breaking Bad and similar shows that tend to depict "anti-heroes" who perform horrible facts but show their "human" side (like any show where the main focus is on a drug dealer/politician). They tend to infuriate me for how implausible they usually become.
    • I am a big fan of Sci-Fi but... I totally hated reading Dune. Actually, it's the only book that I finished and hated me for forcing me into doing so. I literally felt as if I had meantally raped myself into doing something I utterly disliked.
    • I think most of Stephen King is overrated. Don't get me wrong, I love the guy, I love some of his ideas, and he is a great inspiration for people aspiring to become a writer (like me). I think he writes kinda "meh" from time to time, but I admit that when he actually wants to write he rocks. Problem is, for most of the books I read/know... I keep thinking he wastes a lot of awesome ideas there. For instance, The Shining. I liked the book, but it didn't impress me. It's very average for me. I think he could have written an awesomer story with similar elements but kept stumbling on his own tropes (the ones he keeps on every single book). As a whole, I enjoy Stephen King's short stories a lot more than his novels. I know, I'm that weird.
    • I never played Zelda. Or Final Fantasy. Don't want to.
    • For some reason, I never liked the Smash Brothers series. And it's not because I suck at it (I do) and I'm pretty good on every other fighting game (I do). Dunno, something of it makes me want to watch people play it rather than do it myself. Maybe it's because of the hypersimplified controls.
    • For all the gamer inside of me, I seem to find the task of actually finishing a game nigh-impossible. Other than the casual retro RPGs, the only game(s) I actually finished (as in, finishing the whole story) was the SW:The Old Republic I and II. Even Skyrim (which I loved) I never completed.
    • I used to believe fanfiction was just trash-fiction. Until I discovered some people who are "actual" writers
    • I was never in a gaming group of D&D. All I know about it is because I'm that weird. I only managed to narrate myself just a couple sessions for my GF and pals. That's probably the only reason I wish I was born somewhere else :(

I probably have more...
    Last edited by Lord Joeltion; 2017-12-05 at 07:21 PM.
    (sic)

My English non très bueno, da? CALL: 0800-BADGRINGO

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Never liked Firefly

Do not like Game Of Thrones
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Ugh I promised myself not to reply in this thread because due to its nature it must lead to arguments.. But I'm weak and I will keep it short.
    Quote Originally Posted by joeltion View Post
    The whole point of Watchmen revolves around why even "omnipotence" sucks among other things...
    Hm.. Feel free to correct me but from what I know the movie and comic tells mostly the same story, mostly differing by expanding certain parts / going into more/less detail. And if so the I don't expect it to change my mind. The two central ideas of the movie (at least), the characterization of an omnipotent being and the "killing millions to save billions"... thing don't hold much merit for me. The former I guess I might care for but... I just don't. The troubles of a God are not things that catch my attention. (I'm not a big superman fan either but with him we're not constantly reminded how godly he is. It at least seems like he is in trouble once in a while). The latter.. I really hate. I mostly hate how some people blow it up to be so genius as a plot point but I also hate how they seemingly accept it as a valid idea, in story or some possibly in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Deponia was great and the ending was fine. Especially the ending to Deponia Doomsday.
    Is... That controversial?

Actually I think that quite a few of your opinions are more mainstream.. Or, at least not that uncommon. Though I guess the same could be said for me.
    Especially considering how many are "I never bothered with it because I don't care about them".
    Of course with a topic so general it's basically impossible to not have some overlap with other people..
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

-I don't care all that much for Star Trek, Discworld or Monty Python and only read or watched snippets of each.
    -I think One Piece is a horrible show
    -I think Batman has been overhyped and overmemed and just wish everyone would stop trying to make him godlike
    -I won't ever watch Rick and Morty because what I heard of it is that contains stupid gross-out crass humor that I don't like which I don't really find creative or funny
    - I think Adventure Time is horrible, tried to watch the first episode and just quit halfway through
    -while I can respect Game of thrones for what its trying to do, I don't really like it because of how dark and gritty soap opera it is, I just watch/read it so I can have something to talk about with other people
    -I think Code Geass and Fairy Tail are awesome
    -I genuinely like Dragon Age 2 and think all three Dragon Age games are high quality
    -I've never finished a Zelda game
    -I didn't have all that many problems with the Star Wars prequel trilogy actually, they ok in my book, and I genuinely like The Force Awakens
    - I don't like Pinkie Pie. She is not funny, she is just annoying and I do have suspicions that FiM would be better without her presence.
    -I never got interested in zombies in the first place. to me, they're just weak mooks to kill, anything that tries to build an entire series or movie around them will never catch my interest because the whole concept feels weak and lacking in creativity, variety or substance to it
    -The only two problems I really have with Legend of Korra is: 1. Korra's past lives getting destroyed and 2. the rushed pace of the show, if they spread things out more like they did with Aang it would be just as great as Last Airbender, but I still think its a pretty good show.
    -I don't care for any work of fiction that says humans are inherently better or more special than any of the fictional species around them, nor do I care for any work of fiction that elves are inherently better than humans, I just like diversity in my fictional species, and no I don't like the question "why don't you just have all humans then?" or any conceit that the fictional species are just "humans with hats", nor do I like any work of fiction that does "alienness for the sake of the alienness" just.....no to all of that.

thats all I can think of for now.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Ancillary Justice won all the awards. It has two interesting gimmicks and everything else is extremely mediocre writing. The sequels get worse.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Is... That controversial?
    With the number of gripes, moans and complaints about it - especially about Deponia Doomsday which some people said they felt was a middle finger to the fans for their reaction to the end of the first trilogy1 - yes.

I mean, it's not ME3 levels of backlask, but it was enough to be aware that it was contraversial just from assessing from the reviews before I bought it.

Spoiler: Deponia trilogy
    Show
    In short, basically people were bent out of shape because they didn't get a happy ending.

What they got was a rather more poignant - and rather deserved, I felt - one. It is not a bad ending by any means, but it isn't the sort of ending Guybrush Threepwood ever got.

Which is okay, because Guybrush is basically a decent bloke who sort of deserved his happily ever after. Rufus... Not so much...!

1To be fair... That's because it kinda IS (somehwat shamelessly, if you pay attention to the Huzzah introduction lyrics!); the whole game (which involves time-travel) pretty much exists to draw a line under the conclusion of the previous games.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2017-12-06 at 05:54 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Firefly is over-rated.
    Lord of the Rings is over-rated.

Redwall is garbage...And I love it.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

20. - Top - End - #20

SamuraiGuy

Hm.. Feel free to correct me but from what I know the movie and comic tells mostly the same story, mostly differing by expanding certain parts / going into more/less detail.
    I wasn't really trying to get into an argument, it just called out my attention that your "critique"/disappointment was about something that I consider is the most solid part of the comic (and the movie obviously lacks).

The problem with the movie is that it masterfully manages to strip the story from all the philosophic and psychological sub-themes that make the comic "great". The whole point of Alan Moore's Watchmen isn't actually about a story of heroes that are considered pariahs by society; or even about the Cold War. It's a "deconstructional" work. Other than that, the psychological aspect of every single character is the forte of the comic, whereas the movie captured absolutely nothing.
    Spoiler: From Tvtropes "Deconstruction"
    Show
    Watchmen deconstructs the entire superhero genre. For the most part, however, it focuses somewhat more on people without actual super powers fighting as vigilantes anyway. Not one of them is truly motivated by justice for its own sake; most fight crime as an outlet to their hidden personality traits, from paranoia, to violence, to sexual fetishes. On the other end of the scale, we have Dr. Manhattan, whose superpower is omnipotence. He alone is a sufficient example of why any hero with actual superpowers wouldn't be tolerated by society.

Either way, if you don't like gritty deconstruction of life, don't read it. But if you read Alan Moore and you like his works, you should certainly read it, it's one of his bests. My point is that the movie captures nothing of the spirit of the original work (besides, it's pretty bad movie on it's own), and shouldn't be your guide to decide whether to try the comic or not.

The two central ideas of the movie (at least), the characterization of an omnipotent being and the "killing millions to save billions"... thing don't hold much merit for me. The former I guess I might care for but... I just don't. The troubles of a God are not things that catch my attention. (I'm not a big superman fan either but with him we're not constantly reminded how godly he is. It at least seems like he is in trouble once in a while). The latter.. I really hate. I mostly hate how some people blow it up to be so genius as a plot point but I also hate how they seemingly accept it as a valid idea, in story or some possibly in real life.
    I'm more of a fan of Clark than Supes, so I get what you mean. I also hate BatiGod/MarySupers and the likes. For once, the focus about Manhattan isn't about his own problems as much as his relationship with the rest of humanity and the impact he causes on the others (how society actually sees him, how the gov handles him and how his "friends" regard him). In any case, the whole "Cold War" issues is merely circumstantial and most of the plot cues (the mass murder, Roscharch investigation, Silk and NiteOwl's affair) are almost secondary to the actual themes of the comic book* (psychological/philosophical deconstruction). It's also very ingenious while at it. Dunno, based on the sole reason that we both hate Deus Ex-Machina type of superheroes, I think you might enjoy the comic. Give it a try.

*In fact, I find the whole "Pirate Tales" (a comic within a comic) more relevant/interesting than other things the movie chose to focus on instead. But obviously, that part couldn't be translated too well to the screen

EDIT: Also from TvTropes Watchmen article:
    Quote Originally Posted by Watchmen (Comic Book)
    Filler: One of the weirdest examples of filler in the history of the term. According to That Other Wiki Moore and Gibbons were contracted for a 12-issue run of the comic, but the plot that Moore had envisioned would take up, at most, six. He decided to get around this by devoting several chapters to closely examining the characters and the world in which they live. However, as Moore began to write the series, he realized that "the plot itself is of no great consequence...it just really isn't the most interesting thing about Watchmen."
    It's easy to see why the movie failed on every level
    Last edited by Lord Joeltion; 2017-12-06 at 09:42 AM.
    (sic)

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

I don't really have controversial opinions on media that I hold to very strongly. The closest I can figure...

I kind of hate Warhammer 40K... presumably Warhammer Fantasy too but that really is an assumption. This isn't something which markedly affects my life in any capacity, I don't feel the need to actively criticize it or disparage people who like GW's stuff. I had a friend who tried to bring me into the hobby in high school, which wasn't going to happen for the same reason I'd refrain from MtG - i.e. recognition of my own miserly nature - but I do make models on occasion so I can understand the thought process. He gave me all the related books he possessed - which filled a milk crate - and after going through them I came to realize that WH40K seemed to be going out of its way to do everything it can to make me dislike it. Just, every creative decision was one that was antithetical to my own tastes and what I derive enjoyment from, that from this basic space opera clay that I nominally enjoy it masterfully struck the wrong nerve on me with its entire existence as if with specific precision. The endless oppressiveness of the setting, the pumped-up hyper-masculine Liefeldian aesthetic, the unwieldy fitting of kind-of-Gothic high fantasy tropes into a space opera universe, the ubiquitous and randomly corrupted Latin, just... everything.

I'm pretty unsatisfied with the Bethesda sandbox games. I want to like them, and I respect their ambition, but to me they've ultimately proven to be hollow experiences once I actually invested in them and they keep doing things to push me out of the immersion they seem to be built upon -- beyond the ubiquitous bugs that is. I could go on, but it basically comes down to... ludonarrative dissonance, where the feeling that you can do anything in the game world comes around harshly when smashed upon the rocks of the game's implicit absurdities and/or limitations.

I like the Matrix sequels. Granted, I don't deny many the criticisms of them - though I do find some have more foundation than others - but, I still respect them for their ambition and some of their creative decisions despite some of their choices being straight-up poor for the film medium (like the Architect exposition scene, which is phenomenally clunky), incapable of looking good with contemporary CGI (like the Neo/Smith finale in Revelations), or the Wachowski's just being pretentious at points (some of the more repetitive dialogue points especially). I liked the "chosen one prophecy is just another form of control" revelation in Reloaded. I also liked the trilogy's ultimate conclusion in Revelations, because it would be so easy to do a Return of the Jedi-esque the Death Star explodes-type happy-fun-times ending with a production like this and instead they went with something fitting of the concepts the story references rather than following through with some of pretty questionable power-fantasy aspects dredged up by the original. There's a lot of cool wire-work too, something I always appreciate.

I don't really like any of the nostalgic 80's-to-early-90's cartoons.

He-Man is awful, just, horrendously animated dreck which lacks a cohesive aesthetic, has terrible character designs, and some of the worst voice acting I've had the displeasure to ever hear.

While the Ninja Turtles probably have good comics - and the NES game is admittedly pretty fun - but everything about them is just excruciatingly dated that I'm shocked kids can relate to them in any fashion or ever could.

I don't even get the Transformers, I mean, what's the point of disguising themselves? They do almost nothing with it. Also, they're an alien race made up of a whole different classification of life-form which evolved under the light of a distant star, yet they all fit into stupid cliched characterizations and have dumb toyetic names for some reason. Granted, I like mecha in general, and a lot of it is certainly toy-related in some fashion... but, I like the world and narrative to exists and then toy-ish designs come to occupy it after-the-fact rather than shaping the world around the toys and then having writers justify their toy-brand's various marketing decisions somehow.
    Last edited by Kitten Champion; 2017-12-06 at 09:45 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by joeltion View Post
    *In fact, I find the whole "Pirate Tales" (a comic within a comic) more relevant/interesting than other things the movie chose to focus on instead. But obviously, that part couldn't be translated too well to the screen
    Tales of the Black Freighter is largely essential to understanding Ozymandias' part of Watchmen. The story of the castaway who fears so greatly for his hometown that he is blinded by that fear to the extent that he is incapable of telling the threat from the innocents he slaughters whilst believes himself to be protecting them and so becomes that which he feared is a direct mirror of and comment on Ozymandias' arc.

That's one reason why interpreting Watchmen as being about "killing millions to save billions" misses the point (Zack Snyder is great at missing the point). The comic doesn't agree with Ozymandias, it pretty strongly and directly criticises him via those Black Freighter interludes even though the other characters are too morally weak to do so (and the one who isn't is morally wrong about everything else and the comic knows that as well).

Also, whilst we're boldly stating controversial opinions:

"Overrated" is the most useless criticism possible. Understanding what the speaker means by it not only relies on understanding the speaker's opinion about the object of criticism but also understanding the speaker's perception of the general public opinion of the object of criticism, it fails to explain either or why there might be a discrepancy between the two.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Tales of the Black Freighter is largely essential to understanding Ozymandias' part of Watchmen. The story of the castaway who fears so greatly for his hometown that he is blinded by that fear to the extent that he is incapable of telling the threat from the innocents he slaughters whilst believes himself to be protecting them and so becomes that which he feared is a direct mirror of and comment on Ozymandias' arc.

That's one reason why interpreting Watchmen as being about "killing millions to save billions" misses the point (Zack Snyder is great at missing the point). The comic doesn't agree with Ozymandias, it pretty strongly and directly criticises him via those Black Freighter interludes even though the other characters are too morally weak to do so (and the one who isn't is morally wrong about everything else and the comic knows that as well).
    THATS what the point of the Tales of the Black Freighter was? I never knew that! but I'm bad at seeing the hidden underlying meaning of things and tend to look at things that are outwardly stated, so its really no surprise. it was so full of prose and so unconnected from the rest of the story that I didn't really pay all that much attention. I'm guessing its less "missing the point" and that most people never think that the Tales of the Black Freighter is connected to ANYTHING, with no indication that it has anything to do with Ozymandias so they don't ever catch on that the Tales of the Black Freighter is supposed to do that at all.

Like I seriously went through Watchmen and never found the point of that on my own, like I assumed there was a point to it, but never bothered to check what that point was.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Not precisely nerdy but: I have yet to see a standup comedian who was worth the time in the seat or price of admission.

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    I enjoy both pre-Awakening and present Fire Emblem games and am baffled by the arguments I've seen between factions that enjoy only one or the other, as if there were a huge difference between them.
    This is a trend now?
    Last edited by Legato Endless; 2017-12-06 at 11:54 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

It actually connects to a lot of other things in the story (especially Rorschach, who is a mirror of Ozymandias, he outwardly professes nihilism and is also willing to do harm "for the greater good" but eventually rejects Veidt's actions absolutely, because his nihilism has limits), but Ozymandias' arc is the strongest set of thematic connections, with things like the raft of corpses carrying the mariner back representing all the collaborators he murders, and the riders who challenge him being Dreiberg and Rorschach (and Veidt even has a line about waking up from a dream similar to the situation of the mariner at the end but then dismissing it, suppressing his conscience).

Basically all of the things that don't seem like "part of" Watchmen are, explaining some aspect of one of the characters and their motivations.

26. - Top - End - #26

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    I'm guessing its less "missing the point" and that most people never think that the Tales of the Black Freighter is connected to ANYTHING, with no indication that it has anything to do with Ozymandias so they don't ever catch on that the Tales of the Black Freighter is supposed to do that at all.
    That's probably because it isn't all that clear until the end. The first hooks with the main story are rather vague. I also found myself kinda confused about it's meaning during the first half of the book. Altho I think the whole comic is just a big puzzle that doesn't solidify until the final conclusion; as is usual for Moore. Not to mention that Ozymandias himself is supposed to be a "big reveal".
    (sic)

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Breaking Bad is not a horrible, horrible show. But its not Gods Gift to the TV world either. Its just...okay
    I have never watched a full episode of This Is Us. Nor will I, because This Is Not Me
    There is not a single reality TV show that I like. However, do not lump game shows in with reality TV, they are not, and I do like them. (Although I would always root for the Beast in The Chase)
    #GoreMutualarejerks

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

I literally had a university seminar session today discussing Watchmen and the pirate scenes in the comic - there's nothing I have to add to what GloatingSwine already said, really.
    This signature is boring. The stuff I write might not be. Warning: Ponies.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

Let's go down the list then, and see how many people I can make cry at my heresy...

I like the Star Wars prequels.

Stuff like Breaking Bad does'teven touch my radar, this sentences is literally the most I have ever cared to expend my precious time on considering.

I find Teen Titans Go! to be absolutely hilarious and I love it, most of all when it is doing the episodes everyone else feels insulted by. The ony tragedy is that is was not allowed to co-exist with the other shows.

I don't think FF VII is the best Final Fantasy.

I thought Ghostbuster 2016 was okay. I think Ghostbusters 2 was as good as the original. I quite liked Ghostbusters: The video game.

Civilisation reached its apogee at Civ IV and then went downhill.

Any episode with a Dalek in it is automatically a good episode.

I think 40k is crap, has always been crap, and has gotten worse over time -

The Empire is far better than the Rebels.

Technically competant acting means nothing if the setting is wrong.

I am completely fed-up to the back teeth by the "underdog verses The Man" and the corruption bollocks. Learn a different tune, please, media (especially media across the pond, thanks).

Logan (the film) does not remotely appeal to me to watch it, despite me liking all of the previous X-Men films (yes, all of them, including the Wolverine ones), regardless of how well acted and produced it is, it staring my second-favourite X-Man and having X-23 in it.

Lazers > firearms.

As an English person, I don't drink tea. Or coffee, nowadays, come to that.

The best Discworld world books were the ones with the guards.

Thrawn was a better villain than Vader ever was, to say nothing of Kylo Ren (because I have nothing to say of Kylo Ren).

Discord was much better as a villain.

Sherlock holds no appeal for me.

Muahahahahahahahaha!
    Saaaaaame!

Doing A Hard Thing is a computer game has no appeal whatsoever.
    Wait... What?
    Last edited by Taro; 2017-12-06 at 02:32 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Taro View Post
    Saaaaaame!

Wait... What?
    *skulldesk*

Doing A Hard Thing is in a computer game has no appeal whatsoever. (Will edit original post...!)

Now it should, at least make SENSE, even if no-one agrees with me...!