New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Marvel: 2018 Edition

So let's see
    - Marvel finally realizing that trying to make *cough* unholy spawn of Zeon (Tomino's not being dumb enough to make them good guys), Titan Corp (again Tomino's ingenuity), and Tau minus their benign nature (Inhumans) gassing people is a bad idea after like a year and a bad TV show. Also no oppressed people change from being gassed.
    - Generations was like "hey look at out new characters, your old character sucks".
    - New Marvel cartoon with Nu Humans vs. Hala.
    Let's discuss.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Marvel: 2018 Edition

I'm only reading All-New Wolverine, Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Spider-Gwen, and Runaways right now so most of that stuff doesn't really affect me.

I'm technically following Venom, but depending on how Venom Inc ends that might stop.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

In other news, all the things I'm suppose to think were great development for Peter Parker that totally 100% validated the existence of One More Day and invalidated my refusal to give the company that published it my money,

Have been totally wiped away.

On the bright side, Axel Alanso is gone, and with luck, all of his supporters in the marvel offices will be purged in the near future, and replaced with people who have some aptitude as writers, artist/illustrators, and editors, and the ability to keep there personal politics to themselves most of the time.

And Disney getting Fox means were now trying to stop hosing the X-men and Replacing them with Inhumans, so, that's a plus.
    "I Burn!"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

I got a decent number of Marvel comics I’m reading right now:
    America, Black Panther, Champions, Generation X, my fave right now has to be Iceman. I’m also reading Invincible Iron Man, Ms. Marvel, She-Hulk, and my forever fav Squirrel Girl.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metahuman1 View Post
    And Disney getting Fox means were now trying to stop hosingg3-cannistering the X-men and Replacing them with Inhumans, so, that's a plus.
    I think gassing might be a better term.
    Spoiler: For context, Zeta Gundam seems to be a lot Smarter
    Show

]
    I mean both of them like to gas people.
    Yes, Zeta do great preachy about feminism but it didn't get in the way of a good story telling.

Let's see....
    https://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/6961887.html#cutid1
    Oh, they finally figured it out after a year and a good writer who actually had more than common sense.
    You know how much it took to make and proved that AEUG are good guys, ONE EPISODE OF TITANS GASSING AN ENTIRE COLONY AND SHOOTING A GLASS-ENCASED MOM IN SPACE.
    Last edited by t209; 2018-01-15 at 09:00 PM.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cute Earth View Post
    I got a decent number of Marvel comics I’m reading right now:
    America, Black Panther, Champions, Generation X, my fave right now has to be Iceman. I’m also reading Invincible Iron Man, Ms. Marvel, She-Hulk, and my forever fav Squirrel Girl.
    Unfortunately, all the bolded titles have been cancelled. Along with the cancellation of Guardians of the Galaxy and rolling U.S. Avengers into all other Avengers teams, this reduced my Marvel pulls to... erm... *only*
    Team books:
    Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows
    Champions
    Monsters Unleashed
    X-Men: Blue

Solo classic heroes:
    Ben Reilly: Scarlet Spider
    Black Bolt
    Captain Marvel
    Doctor Strange
    Unbeatable Squirrel Girl

Solo legacy heroes:
    All-New Wolverine
    Invincible Iron Man
    Mighty Thor
    Ms. Marvel
    Spider-Man
    the occasional Incrdedible Hulk when Greg Land isn't the illustrator

Solo "new" heroes:
    Spider-Gwen

When I arrange it this way, I believe what I'm seeing is an opportunity for the cancelled books to form a new team, and for Jubilee, Bling! and Quentin Quire to get solo books.
    Last edited by KillingAScarab; 2018-01-16 at 05:52 AM. Reason: list

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillingAScarab View Post
    Unfortunately, all the bolded titles have been cancelled. Along with the cancellation of Guardians of the Galaxy and rolling U.S. Avengers into all other Avengers teams, this reduced my Marvel pulls to Ben Reilly: Scarlet Spider, Black Bolt, Captain Marvel, Champions, Doctor Strange, Invincible Iron Man, Mighty Thor, Ms. Marvel, Spider-Gwen, Spider-Man, Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, X-Men: Blue, and the occassional Incrdedible Hulk when Greg Land isn't the illustrator. I wish Jean Grey was going to be allowed to continue, but that does not seem to be the case.
    That’s disappointing, but kinda how Marvel comics has been running lately, so not entirely surprising.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

t209: Bottom line though, they do appear to have begun abandoning the plan on that mess. Probably for the best.

I'm told there's a good Daredevil run going on ATM.

And while they may have canceled America, on the bright side, there's a chance a better writer will get a crack at it now. Seriously, get like a Neil Gaiman / Jim Lee team on that character and just watch them go to town. (I'm sorry but Gabby Revaria (I have no idea how to spell that name and spell check is not helping.)is, frankly, a sub par writer. The character has potential, but the execution of that potential in that solo book left a LOT to be desired.)

Meanwhile though, DC is just CRUSHING them in terms of quality comics right now. (Rebirth, the current Superman Run, Super Son's, Batman: White Knight, Nightwing: New Order (Admittedly I haven't gotten to that one yet but everything I've heard has been good so far.), Super Woman, Teen Titans, Mister Miracle, and on and on and on.).
    "I Burn!"

9. - Top - End - #9

Honsestly, the only stuff I outright dislike with current Marvel is that 1: They made Eddie Brock Venom again, which will inevitably invalidate all of the symbiote's character development with Flash,and 2: The Despicable Deadpool crap.

ain't nobody holding what Stevil did against real Cap, so people really shouldn't think that bad of Deadpool because his logic for joining Hydra was "1: In every Hero v Hero conflict, Cap's sideis always proven to be in the right" and "2:Everytime someone says that Cap is evil or wrong, it turns out they're the ones who are evil and wrong."

Basically, Deadpool's life fell to crap because Secret Empire was the first and only time "side with Captain America" wasn't the right choice.

I can even accept Parker Industries collapsing since it was ultimately Pete deciding to burn everything rather than let HYDRA get their hands on PI's Tech(Considering that PI's genetic research made Itsy-Bitsy, not letting Supervillains get their hands on PI tech is smart.)

It's just... most of the stuff doesn't really interest me enough to devote time to following it regularly... Though I've heard good things about the Kamala Kahn Miss Marvel, so I might look into her title.

(I'm cautiously optomistic about the Runaways ongoing, though I'm a bit concerned by the current author's stated dislike for Volumes 2 and 3 and about how so far nobody has shown any concern for Klara being in foster care despite the previous volumes treating that as a bad thing, with Karalina even having been given to a foster family that was strong out on pills, and with a time traveling mutant from 1907 who is also an immigrant and a victim of emotional abuse and rape being the exact kind of child who absolutly would not do well is foster care.)

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

I lost any respect I had for Khamala Khan when she decided to go full fascist during Secret Empire. That character is effectively dead to me.

And the crapping on Deadpool is people that don't like that Deadpool wasn't conforming ENOUGH to what they wanted, wanting to crap on his popularity as a character. Sort of like Peter's life falling apart NOW is because Dan Slott, the writer, only writes for the character because it lets him use the character to beat people about the head on social media with the weight behind him of "I'm the current guy in charge of writing for SPIDER MAN!" with his political positions. That's it. He has clearly shown and stated, more then once, in public forums, that he holds disdain for

The Medium in General,

The Fans,

The Audience At Large,

The Character,

The characters history, legacy, canon and mythos,

And the universe that character exists in.

Frankly the faster the new Editor in Chief can get the lions share of the people currently working for marvel axed and replace with people who do not have similar though processes, and then do a major event to undo about 85-90% of what has been done with marvel for the last 10 years, the better off the company and books and characters and fans will all be.
    "I Burn!"

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Metahuman1, since DC Rebirth has been going on for nearly two years, if the event does mean anything it seems a bit unwieldy by this point. I picked up some Blue Beetle and some Batman Beyond toward the start(?) of it, and my curiosity was satisfied. The 2015 Secret Wars gave writers the excuse that the Marvel Universe was mostly put back the same, but things could be different and we'll get to those differences later. I prefer that. The Infinity Gems/Stones were only being poked at last year, so there are still rocks to turn over.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Go read Mr. Miracle and Super Sons, you'll get a MUCH better taste of the variety I think. And certainly better then Anything I've seen out of Marvel since Secret Wars. There's literally nothing that even begins to be a comparison.
    "I Burn!"

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Go read Mr. Miracle and Super Sons, you'll get a MUCH better taste of the variety I think. And certainly better then Anything I've seen out of Marvel since Secret Wars. There's literally nothing that even begins to be a comparison.
    Actually, if I were going to pick up anything from DC, I might be looking for Wonder Woman recommendations. But, as I got back into Marvel after Secret Wars, I can say I have enjoyed quite a bit of it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    X-Men '92 vol 2 had so much bear-punching and a good ending. Dennis Hopeless' All-New X-Men, particularly for bringing back the Goblin Queen just to watch the world burn. I didn't enjoy Inhumans vs. X-Men, but that series gave me headcanon which made it better, and the 2nd tie-in introduced me to Mosaic (whose solo series was worth a read). It was also great to see Beast trying to learn magic from Doctor Strange, though I am a bit disappointed with Cullen Bunn's follow-up in X-Men: Blue. That said, Cullen Bunn's dialog for Scragg is one of the best parts of Monsters Unleashed. Saladin Ahmed's Black Bolt made me care about the Absorbing Man. Champions #12 won the Cyclops Has a Good Day category for the 2017 Super Doctor Astronaut Peter Corbeau Awards for Excellence in X-cellence, and rightfully so. And of course, All-New Wolverine had Honey Badger.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Actually, if I were going to pick up anything from DC, I might be looking for Wonder Woman recommendations. But, as I got back into Marvel after Secret Wars, I can say I have enjoyed quite a bit of it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    X-Men '92 vol 2 had so much bear-punching and a good ending. Dennis Hopeless' All-New X-Men, particularly for bringing back the Goblin Queen just to watch the world burn. I didn't enjoy Inhumans vs. X-Men, but that series gave me headcanon which made it better, and the 2nd tie-in introduced me to Mosaic (whose solo series was worth a read). It was also great to see Beast trying to learn magic from Doctor Strange, though I am a bit disappointed with Cullen Bunn's follow-up in X-Men: Blue. That said, Cullen Bunn's dialog for Scragg is one of the best parts of Monsters Unleashed. Saladin Ahmed's Black Bolt made me care about the Absorbing Man. Champions #12 won the Cyclops Has a Good Day category for the 2017 Super Doctor Astronaut Peter Corbeau Awards for Excellence in X-cellence, and rightfully so. And of course, All-New Wolverine had Honey Badger.
    While I have not read all of those, I will agree that X-men 92 is fairly solid so far, if only because they have been forced by the powers the be to pretend like they give a damn and are competent.

Something most of the rest of the MU are severely lacking at present, but is going on over at DC in spades. There is a reason so much of Marvels Talent have been jumping ship and going over there for the last decade.
    "I Burn!"

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Unfortunately, all the bolded titles have been cancelled. Along with the cancellation of Guardians of the Galaxy and rolling U.S. Avengers into all other Avengers teams, this reduced my Marvel pulls to... erm... *only*
    Team books:
    Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows
    Champions
    Monsters Unleashed
    X-Men: Blue

Solo classic heroes:
    Ben Reilly: Scarlet Spider
    Black Bolt
    Captain Marvel
    Doctor Strange
    Unbeatable Squirrel Girl

Solo legacy heroes:
    All-New Wolverine
    Invincible Iron Man
    Mighty Thor
    Ms. Marvel
    Spider-Man
    the occasional Incrdedible Hulk when Greg Land isn't the illustrator

Solo "new" heroes:
    Spider-Gwen

When I arrange it this way, I believe what I'm seeing is an opportunity for the cancelled books to form a new team, and for Jubilee, Bling! and Quentin Quire to get solo books.
    Yes, I love Ben Reilly: Scarlet Spider, although Kaine's been less who he was in it. He was a guy who had no issue with killing, but he wasn't totally blood thirsty before. Maybe he changed when he got out of the cocoon in Spiderverse.
    I did like how Death seems to like Ben.

Unbeatable Squirrel Girl finally been beaten.

Champions was better when Gwenpoole was in it.

Gwenpool's getting surreal lately. Though still a good reason sadly it is ending.

I've never read Spider: Renew Your Vows is it any good?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    Well, it did have Spiderman's life as a family man that the fans will close to get with One More Day and brief appearance of Spidergirl in Spiderverse and Web Warriors Spider Gwen and her shallow friends.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Yes, I love Ben Reilly: Scarlet Spider, although Kaine's been less who he was in it. He was a guy who had no issue with killing, but he wasn't totally blood thirsty before. Maybe he changed when he got out of the cocoon in Spiderverse.
    I did like how Death seems to like Ben.
    I never read much of Kaine's Scarlet Spider series. I was pleasantly surprised that the Slingers came back. The last I saw of any of them was in the Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 video game, which was based upon Civil War, and Prodigy was awful in that.

Unbeatable Squirrel Girl finally been beaten.
    Not that I have seen. Would you be referring to Sorcerer Supreme Loki's illusions?

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    Well, it did have Spiderman's life as a family man that the fans will close to get with One More Day and brief appearance of Spidergirl in Spiderverse and Web Warriors Spider Gwen and her shallow friends.
    I didn't read any of the Secret Wars series, I have been reading the ongoing series. For the 1st 12 issues, Anna-May Parker is a pre-teen. The current story takes place after an 8 year jump.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I like that they decided not to dwell too long on Annie being a superpowered child, although there are some really great moments which came from that. In this alternate timeline, not only did Peter and Mary Jane stay together and raise a family, but Scott Summers became somewhat disillusioned with Charles Xavier, yet is still a member of the X-Men. Scott and Jean Grey broke up. Logan and Jean got together and had a kid. I'm not a big fan of that couple, but I like the idea of an Xavier school where Scott can still live there. It means that Charles Xavier probably wasn't a slave owner, *grumble*Whedon*grumble*. So, Peter and Mary Jane get an invite for Annie to Xavier's and have to spend some time considering whether she actually would be better off with other children with super powers, and they have some strong opinions.

Another good point is an arc which runs throughout that portion of the series. Harry Osborne had a son, who is still a child but has inherited the family haircut, the company, and an obsession with the Spider family. It concludes the pre-teen portion of the series, and I liked the way it was handled. There's a giant robot fight, because why wouldn't you have a giant robot fight when you can have a giant robot fight?

In between, there's a point where Mary Jane had the Venom symbiote, which is something I have wanted for years, but it felt rushed to me. It was during a time when everything had a Venom tie-in leading up to Venomverse. There were also a bunch of Mary Jane covers, one of which makes it noticeable that this version of the spider logo on the costume is quite close to the lines on Black Bolt's costume.

On the subject of the Mary Jane covers, here's a bit of prophecy for you. *sigh* I'm going to buy the last issues of Mariko Tamaki's run, and I'm going to miss it when it's gone. Not as much as I will miss Christina Strain's Generation X, though.
    Last edited by KillingAScarab; 2018-01-17 at 09:57 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground

When I saw who made the thread I thought "I bet he mentions Tau in the first post". Sucker bet really.

I'm actually on a bit of a Marvel hiatus at the moment so I'm basically completely out of touch with everything from Secret Empires and onward. Comic hiatus in general really, not just Marvel, as it's mostly due to losing access to comics much in the way I used to but just feeling a bit out of it also honestly played no small part.

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    1: They made Eddie Brock Venom again, which will inevitably invalidate all of the symbiote's character development with Flash
    I know right? I'm glad I'm not the only person that had an issue with that. The only upside is that Eddie is still a huge improvement on that other guy who ended up with the Venom symbiote post-Flash (who's name I can't be bothered to remember considering how horrible he was and how quickly he became irrelevant). Considering that I never was and still remain no fan of Eddie says just how much I hatted that guy, that and I really really enjoyed the Flash/Venom relationship (Not to mention Agent Venom was way cooler then 'classic' Venom ever was or could hope to be). Also Eddie getting Venom again did basically sum up everything Marvel had planned with Legacy, "People don't seem to like the new direction we tried to go with some of our characters so we are just going to revert them to how they used to be, no matter how illogical".

Question on things Venom related though, given how it seems they are giving Venom a lot of focus lately... has Mania come into it at all? I mean that was one of my biggest issues with the whole abrupt separation of Venom from Flash, it felt like they were just about to delve more into the whole Mania thing (another character I really liked) and the whole hell-mark issue when "Nope, never mind that, we're doing this other thing now". Hell related stuff aside it just honestly doesn't make sense to leave her out of things if they are putting so much attention on Venom. Just what is she even doing otherwise? She was far from an inactive character even IF she didn't have a distinct interest on anything that might be going on Venom related...

News of many of the titles I enjoyed being canceled was disappointing but honestly most of them didn't come to much of a surprise. Not that I thought they weren't good enough to continue, more I've grown to accept the fact that if *I* like something odds are the rest of the reading/viewing public doesn't feel the same way. Gwenpool was the one that probably bummed me out the most, that series just really surprised me on how well it ended up being considering how on the surface all it looked like it was nothing more then the mashing up of two popular but unrelated characters and seeing where things went. Didn't Gwenpool herself predict her cancellation at the end of the Evil Gwenpool arch? I wonder of that was an actual tip-off from the writers or just meant as anther throw-away joke about breaking the forth wall.
    In any case I've been somewhat jaded on series ending ever since the quick cancellation of one of my favorite recent comics, Unstoppable Wasp. 8 measly issues long. Squirrel Girl seems to be going strong though, which I never would have expected when it first started, so that gives me some hope.
    Last edited by BiblioRook; 2018-01-18 at 02:27 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by BiblioRook View Post
    Question on things Venom related though, given how it seems they are giving Venom a lot of focus lately... has Mania come into it at all? I mean that was one of my biggest issues with the whole abrupt separation of Venom from Flash, it felt like they were just about to delve more into the whole Mania thing (another character I really liked) and the whole hell-mark issue when "Nope, never mind that, we're doing this other thing now". Hell related stuff aside it just honestly doesn't make sense to leave her out of things if they are putting so much attention on Venom. Just what is she even doing otherwise? She was far from an inactive character even IF she didn't have a distinct interest on anything that might be going on Venom related...
    Mania was in Venom Inc(Which, as I recently learned, is technically the first official crosover between a Spider-Man title and a Venom title.)

Spoiler: Curtesy Spoilers
    Show
    Gist of it is that Lee Price managed to get out of Jail on the technicallity that it was Venom being arrested and Venom wasn't on Price while he was in custody(and also lies about the Sybiote taking control of him and using Eddie's apparent return to crime after having been an FBI affilated Super-Hero prior to rebonding) and then, while Flash was in New York tracking down his Symbiote to get it back, he went to Philly and ambushed Andi: She ended up in the hospital, and Price stole her symbiote and dominated it the way he did Venom.

He then somehow managed to figure out how to ape the thing Carnage used to do where he'd replicate his symbiote and use it to possess a bunch of people and tried to take over the gangs of New York with his ultimate goal being to mind control the 5 families.

In other news, a running theme of Eddie's new term as Venom is that the drugs the FBI gave him to surpress Toxin have mutated him and made his biology midly toxic, which really brings out the anger in Venom. Eddie is taking medicine to, essentially, correct a chemical imabalance that is causing Venom's mental state to deteriorate, but sybiotes evolve over time and the drugs stop being effective after a while, requiring new formulations and stornger doses. Eventually the astrobiologist who makes the drugs bonded one to a sample of the Anti-Venom symbiote that he somehow got and created a huge vat of a drug that should itself evolve over time while preventing Venom from adaptingto the drug.

At this exactmoment, Flash, backin NY for a second go at getting his partner back, confronts Eddie,
    the Symbiote can't decide if it should stick with Eddie(Their relationship reads like two people from a mutually abusive relationship trying to get back together and make it work this time, but one of them is afraid to leave when things go sour becuase they've been hurt way worse not long ago) or jump ship back to Flash and tries to bond with both of them.

Then Spider-Manshows up(Peter Parker washelping Flash), assumes the worst, reconginzes the medicine as Anti-Venom, and after confirming that it is dumps the vat, it reacts to the traces of Venom in Flash's system and he becomes a new, more powerful Anti-Venom. Pros: He can be a superhero again.
    Con: He can't bond to Venom anymore.

Fighting against Lee Price Happens, Andi gets out of the hospital in record time and shows up to get her Symbiote back. Reminder: The Hellmark is on her now, not Mania, meaning she's got Hellfire Powers.

Price tears apart the Black Cat's criminal empire, infecting them all with Mania(the bit of Mania put in the Scorpion reacts to his powers and the traces of Venom in his system, causing an organic symbiote based scorpion armor to form), goes thorugh with his plan, foiled at the last minute, reabsorbs the pieces of Mania to turn into a 50 Tall Maniac

Final Battle: Spider-Man, The Black Cat, Venom, Anti-Venom, and Mania(Andi keeping the name without her symbiote) Vs 50 Foot Tall Venom. Things go slow, even with weapons coated in the Anti-Venom drug,
    until Price tries to infect the Black Cat again and it's discovered that being infected and cured once gives you an immunity to being controlled again. Spider-Man had been infected in an earliar confrontation,
    and was bleeding profusly, so he gave some of his blood to Flash and the Anti-Venom symbiote absorbed it and the Anti-Mania antibodies within, giving it a major upgrade and allowing him to rip Price out of Mania.

Afternath: Price is going back to Jail. Flash Thompson is anti-Venom and is apparently the strongest person currently with symbiote powers. Mania was seemingly destroyed, though Price claims that he can still feel it so there's a chance that it'll return in the future and Andi can reclaim it. Andi is bummed out that her Symbiote might have been destroyed, but consoles herself with the knowledge that she's proved that she doesn't need it to be a badass. Eddie is still Venom, but Flash has told him to listen to the Symbiote(becuase it's a good guy, he knows this,) and it's implied that he's going to be keeping an eye on things. The Black Cats criminal organization is in tatters, but a talk she has with Venom implies that she'll be going back to her roots. Hopefully it'll stick and they'll undo her massive character derailment from the last few years.

Hopes: That we'll get an Agent Anti-Venom ongoing or mini in the near future that'll finally deal with The Descent and Andi's Hellmark(As much as I don't want her to become a Hell Lord, her Mark comes from Mephisto and marks her as his heir, esentially. If he either becomes for-real Satan or dies, Andi takes his place... If she took his place, maybe he'd stop trying to ruin Spider-Man'sand more recently Deadpool's lives?)

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I am of the opinion that bringing Wolverine (Logan) back, is a Bad Move.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

21. - Top - End - #21
    Halfling in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I lost any respect I had for Khamala Khan when she decided to go full fascist during Secret Empire. That character is effectively dead to me.
    Wait. What happened to Miss Marvel? Did she go Hydra or something? After the Magneto and the Scarlet Witch thing, I'd have thought that I'd have heard about that.

(I haven't really been following comics for the last few years.)

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    We haven't really seen enough of him back to tell, honestly.

Personally, I'm waiting until he makes an appearance in either Old Man Logan, All-New Wolverine, or otherwise interacts with one of them.

I've got 50 bucks that say he tells Laura to keep being Wolverine if she offers to give him the cowl back, either in a "there are like, three Spider-Men, bub, and there have been at least five Captain Americas" way or a "honestly, you're closer to being a full-on superhero* than I was, you need the hero ID more than I do."

And he and OML are either gonna kill each other or get so drunk.

(His reaction to Gabby is obvious, based on his previous reactions to spunky, stubborn young girl and teen girl hero types. Sarcastic verbal affection and possibly somekind of advice. Unless she calls him grandpa or tells him it was Daken who gave her her code name, which each cause their own awkward.)

*Logan tended to kill a lot of his bad guys, with his titles kinda... dripping with blood and gore, and with how much he smokes, drinks, and curses(not to mention his unhealthy ways of coping with his problems) mean that, for all that he's a decent enough superhero mentor, he's not exactly a good role model. He's closer to Anti-Hero in terms of morality. Laura, however, has sworn off needless killing and is in general acting more like a Cape than a Cowl type hero.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2018-01-18 at 08:02 AM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by S_A_M I AM View Post
    Wait. What happened to Miss Marvel? Did she go Hydra or something? After the Magneto and the Scarlet Witch thing, I'd have thought that I'd have heard about that.

(I haven't really been following comics for the last few years.)
    Well, she actually oppose Hydra as I know.
    I think it had to do with saving NuHumans, which Kamala and her Champions save them from internment camp even though Mutants would be included but Marvel bias (not including their Tau-like caste system and habit of sterilizing people).
    Edit: that or the IvX but she did come back to her senses and decided not to gas people. And somehow to make Moongirl smart is to make everyone dumb even though they can build a giant vacuum cleaner and contain it. Maybe it might have stupid making pheromones inside, just like Tau.
    Last edited by t209; 2018-01-18 at 11:24 AM.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

24. - Top - End - #24

Thought of something I think is kind of interesting. A big part of the development of Kamala Khan as Ms. Marvel was her disillusionment of Carol Danvers... from that though it's kind of interesting that to date she never changed her name to distance herself from her. I mean, it's not like Marvel heroes have any inhibition about changing their superhero names (Carol herself went through like what, five?) and even the whole point of Marvel Legacy was that (ironically) they wanted to get away a bit from the idea of Legacy heroes, it probably would have been an opt time for Kamala to go through an identity change of sorts if they ever wanted to maybe establish herself as her own character. Not that I would honestly personally be interesting in seeing that happen, I always thought the whole Captain Marvel fangirling was rather cute and was truly sad when the broken pedestal moment came, just that I'm surprised it's not a route they chose to take.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Oh, they have actually done that?

Fracking FINALLY.

Along with the possible ending of the anti-mutant/pro-Inhuman movie-franchise based pettiness, I might even be able to start to care about the X-Men titles that Don't Explictly Have Jubilee In Them again, then.

And he and OML are either gonna kill each other or get so drunk.
    I would hope "OML dies a gurgling, pointless death in some utterly undramatic fashion and doesn't get even the dignity of a shallow grave," myself.

(Have I mentioned how that was arguably the worst pile of excremental tosh I have had the misfortune of reading in a Wolverine comic? ("Arguably" only because of the time [Richard]head Dakin was allowed to co-opt the title (and I dropped it like hotcakes) and only then if you can judge whether that was actually a "Wolverine" title at that point.") And that only the Battleworld version of Runaways (which I literally burned) was worse, period?

OML I was I point-blank refuse to watch Logan, I don't care how well acted Patrick Stewart and Hugh Jackman make it (and I'm sure they did); not even with the presense of X-23 (and dammit, even if she says Wolverine (II), she'll always be X-23 to me) whom is also among my favourite X-Men.)

I mean, for me, in a pefect world, Old Man Logan would be One More Day'd out of existance - no, I don't mean in the Marvel universe, I mean in THIS one - along with the that Battleworld verson of Runaways; but we don't always get what we want, do we?

*happens to glance upthread and register what he'd only skimmed before*

Quote Originally Posted by Cute Earth View Post
    Generation X,
    Unfortunately, all the bolded titles have been cancelled.

OH, FOR FRACK'S SAKE.

(I REALLY HATE having to get my comics online several months behind and thus never know things except by chance or far too late. Thanks for the warning, at least. (It is SO TIRESOME trying to precisely time the window for my subscriptions between when Forbidden Planet opens and closes it's subscription windows...)

Also, that makes it issue, what... #11 of the current run, then...?

(Though to be honest, that current run was very bi-polar; the bits with Jubes and Chamber were great, the bits with the students lacked any kind of engagement whatsoever. I found them all non-entities except Quire (who I intensely dislike) and Bling! (who seems to be acting completely different (and worse) to the prior ahjectiveless X-Men pre-Battleworld.)

Scratch what I just said, Marvel, scratch that.

Does anyone happen to know if Jubilee is appearing in anything else then? (I.e. with the X-Men - but I'll take Avengers or Laura!Wolverine, especially is they let Majorie Liu loose with 'em both)? Or is she once more consigned back to the void?

'Cos if so, Marvel can officially, and finally after a hair under twenty-five years (not counting Transformers in the late 80s') consider itself to have finally used its last remaining chance - literally only the presense of my favourite character in anything, ever, was all that had been getting Marvel any pennies off me for the few years.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2018-01-18 at 03:28 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

If you are talking about recent stuff I believe Jubilee had a notable role in 'Patsy Walker, aka Hellcat', but if you are looking explicitly for current stuff still going on... give it time. I mean Generation X literally only just ended and it might be much to expect them to stick Jubilee in another major role immediately (even A-listers often have a hefty period of down time when a series they are in ends).

That being said, I too really hope Jubilee doesn't go on unused. I mean, I'm still waiting for them to put her in MPQ, they've been pretty good at getting around to adding more X-Men and fan requested characters into the game (Rogue and Gambit being two recent major examples) but they haven't gotten around to Jubs yet? Bah. She better being on the docket is all I'm saying.
    Last edited by BiblioRook; 2018-01-18 at 03:50 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by BiblioRook View Post
    Thought of something I think is kind of interesting. A big part of the development of Kamala Khan as Ms. Marvel was her disillusionment of Carol Danvers... from that though it's kind of interesting that to date she never changed her name to distance herself from her. I mean, it's not like Marvel heroes have any inhibition about changing their superhero names (Carol herself went through like what, five?) and even the whole point of Marvel Legacy was that (ironically) they wanted to get away a bit from the idea of Legacy heroes, it probably would have been an opt time for Kamala to go through an identity change of sorts if they ever wanted to maybe establish herself as her own character. Not that I would honestly personally be interesting in seeing that happen, I always thought the whole Captain Marvel fangirling was rather cute and was truly sad when the broken pedestal moment came, just that I'm surprised it's not a route they chose to take.
    Thing is? Kamala as Ms Marvel is a huge draw: Comic shops across the country have reported that once they started carrying Ms. Marvel, young girls and muslim/mid-eastern persons, many of whom had never pruchased comic books before, both started coming in decentnumbers just to buy Kamala's book.

Not only is there a market for her, but it's a relativly untapped market.

Not to mention how well Kamala was accepted even before her first issue came out means that she's obviously the most successful of Marvel's attempts to add diversity(Something to note: A lot of these attempts were following the Miles Morales formula where a Hero is dead or unable to keep being that Hero, and someone else comes in to take over. It worked for Miles, essentially, becuase Ultimate Peter Parker wasn't killed off to make room for Miles, he was killed off to do a "The Hero is dead" story, Miles came later. The Flacon as Cap worked becuase people had wanted a Falcon ongoing for a while, but for a lot of the others they basically 5C-d existing heros to make room for their legacy, which wasn't exactly the smartest move.)

However, having Binged the Entire Run over the last few days, the current storyline is that Kamala is semi-retired from being Miss Marvel and is else-where taking a break for the sake of her mental health after going through some serious crap almost non-stop following The Civil War. She could come back with her own independant ID after all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    (Have I mentioned how that was arguably the worst pile of excremental tosh I have had the misfortune of reading in a Wolverine comic? ("Arguably" only because of the time [Richard]head Dakin was allowed to co-opt the title (and I dropped it like hotcakes) and only then if you can judge whether that was actually a "Wolverine" title at that point.") And that only the Battleworld version of Runaways (which I literally burned) was worse, period?
    Daken: Dark Wolverine wasn't that bad. It had the Runaways in it and was their first appearance since it got canceled(Chase's broken back apparently got better on it's own.) Where, basically, the plot of this like, four a five issu arc, longer if you count the lead up, is "Daken can't handle this one guy, but he's an acssociate o f the Pride so he tracks down the Runaway's on the grunds that they know how to kill members of the Pride" and they proceed to do most of the work while also telling him off for being a psychopath and not the "real" Wolverine."(And Molly got over her irrational dislike of Logan at somepoint and he's her favorite again, so especially her.)

Granted: That was the only partof Dark Wolverine that I read and I was only reading it for the Runaways, so the quality before and after that might be differant.

Still need to read Avengers AI and Vision to figure out why, exactly, Tony Stark mailed Victor's severed head to Chase and where the rest of his body is.
    OML I was I point-blank refuse to watch Logan, I don't care how well acted Patrick Stewart and Hugh Jackman make it (and I'm sure they did); not even with the presense of X-23 (and dammit, even if she says Wolverine (II), she'll always be X-23 to me) whom is also among my favourite X-Men.)
    When talking to Doctor Strange, Laura basically says that she took up the Mantel to honor Logan and that as long as she's Wolverine, he's not completly dead. ("I'm Laura, I'm X-23, and I'm Wolverine.")

Regardless, "Logan" from what I understand, only has "Logan is Old" in comon with OML. Which makes sense, since Fox doesn't have film rights for The Hulk, Venom, The Inhumans, Hawkeye, Spider-Man's affiliated characters, The Red Skull, or basically anybody who appaeared in OML who wasn't Logan.

As for Jubilee... Well, it's a long shot, but we don't exactly know who the Ninth planned member of X-Men Red is yet.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2018-01-18 at 08:07 PM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Daken: Dark Wolverine wasn't that bad.
    It was. It had Daken in it, for a kick off, and even Majorie Liu couldn't do much with it. Remains the only comics I actually ever threw away. (As opposed, to, y'know, BURNED.)

(And the only fractional reason OML didn't get that was because literally it hada Jubilee cameo in the middle of a drought period and they Killed Her Last .)

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202
    Regardless, "Logan" from what I understand, only has "Logan is Old" in comon with OML.
    All of the other X-Men are dead (along with all the other mutants), as I am given to understand. The fact that they could ONLY kill all the characters they had access to doesn't redeem it in my eyes, even remotely. Don't care how good a job the lwo leads did (and, again, I'm sure they gave exemplarary performances), a story that starts with "all the characters that got into the superhero genera in the first place, including your very favourite are dead" is a story I will never care to partake in.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2018-01-18 at 08:15 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29

Spoiler: Question for Bleakbane, was asked to spoiler
    Show
    Question: Does the fact that Daken is willing to die for Laura make him better or worse in your eyes.

Because um... He's certainly willing to die for her.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2018-01-18 at 09:42 PM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    Well, she actually oppose Hydra as I know.
    I think it had to do with saving NuHumans, which Kamala and her Champions save them from internment camp even though Mutants would be included but Marvel bias (not including their Tau-like caste system and habit of sterilizing people).
    Edit: that or the IvX but she did come back to her senses and decided not to gas people. And somehow to make Moongirl smart is to make everyone dumb even though they can build a giant vacuum cleaner and contain it. Maybe it might have stupid making pheromones inside, just like Tau.
    As someone who stopped reading Secret Empire, I was very confused by that 2nd Champions tie-in issue. Ms. Marvel had forgotten her identity while she was imprisoned. The Ms. Marvel series had nothing to do with Secret Empire, which I guess I'm thankful for, so if I had wanted answers on that, I suppose I would have needed to read Secret Warriors. I didn't pick up an issue of that until recently when I found out Mister Sinister was involved, and then the cancellation notice was out for that series, too.

The giant vacuum cleaner idea was being used by The Right in Hopeless' All-New X-Men, but they were collecting bits of the Terrigen Cloud so they could poison mutants. Also featured in that issue: an offshoot of the Hand set up in the Amazon rainforest as eco-terrorists, the Green Thumb.

*happens to glance upthread and register what he'd only skimmed before*

OH, FOR FRACK'S SAKE.

(I REALLY HATE having to get my comics online several months behind and thus never know things except by chance or far too late. Thanks for the warning, at least. (It is SO TIRESOME trying to precisely time the window for my subscriptions between when Forbidden Planet opens and closes it's subscription windows...)

Also, that makes it issue, what... #11 of the current run, then...?
    The cancellations took a lot of people by surprise. Generation X got the legacy renumbering treatment, so the 10th issue was #85 by that convention. It looks like the 12th issue/#87 will be the last one.

(Though to be honest, that current run was very bi-polar; the bits with Jubes and Chamber were great, the bits with the students lacked any kind of engagement whatsoever. I found them all non-entities except Quire (who I intensely dislike) and Bling! (who seems to be acting completely different (and worse) to the prior ahjectiveless X-Men pre-Battleworld.)
    I had no prior knowledge of Bling!, but I liked what was happening with her. Ditto Nature Girl, who impressed me from the first by attacking Quentin Quire with waterfowl. Quentin Quire being the one who pushed Morph and Hindsight (don't think he has been assigned that codename in the book, yet) into a heist was also appreciated because I needed to see someone escape by turning into a mandrill.

Spoiler
    Show
    Question: Does the fact that Daken is willing to die for Laura make him better or worse in your eyes.

Because um... He's certainly willing to die for her.
    If that's an All-New Wolverine spoiler, I haven't made it out to the local comic and hobby shop, yet. I would appreciate spoiler tags on that one.
    Last edited by KillingAScarab; 2018-01-19 at 12:19 PM.