New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Fluff Discussion XV: You Must Be THIS Tall To Witness The Grimdark

Quote Originally Posted by Voidhawk View Post
    Finally, and worst of all, are the Necrons. Their Inertialess Drives allow them to move at FTL and near-light speeds wherever and whenever they like, and even let them turn as normal while doing so. Their ships have a stealth technology second to none, giving off near-zero emissions even when under thrust, which makes detecting them and plotting firing solutions incredibly difficult. Which all adds up to how a trio of Shroud-class light cruisers zipped into Sol system, blew past the outer planets in less than a day, zig-zagged past the orbital defences, and landed on Mars. Of course, once they finally stood still they were instantly vaporised, but for landing an incursion there are none better.
    They changed Necrons. Now they have a sorta 'shadow webway'. It's kinda crappy, I liked the Inertialess Drives a lot better.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Fluff Discussion XV: You Must Be THIS Tall To Witness The Grimdark

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    Thats a good point. What does Guilliman think about the Lectitio and the entire cult? Hes the one who purged Churches from Lorgar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    The original copies of the Lectitio were hand-written by Lorgar, given individually customised covers and presented as gifts to his brothers, I believe. I don't remember if they're actually signed by Lorgar, but rather dedicated individually to the recipient.
    [...]
    Specifically, if the Ultramarine found a book dedicated to the praise of the Emperor with Guilliman's name on it. That's possibly be a very difficult choice to make...
    [...]
    After his resurrection, Guilliman was notably more jaded about the whole thing, but he only declared himself Emperor's Regent and Lord Commander of the Imperium and not the Ecclesiarch. For the time being at least, he seems to consider the Imperial Cult as something to worry about later, if at all.
    So...Uhh...I just finished Dark Imperium II; Plague War. So, there's a bit. Tacked on at the very end. That makes me feel like somebody might be reading this thread. But that can't be right, 'cause books are printed months before their actual release, right?
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

3. - Top - End - #483
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    So...Uhh...I just finished Dark Imperium II; Plague War. So, there's a bit. Tacked on at the very end. That makes me feel like somebody might be reading this thread. But that can't be right, 'cause books are printed months before their actual release, right?
    Would it be rude of me to ask for a spoiler? I've read the synopsis to that book, but I'm genuinely curious as to what specific detail you've seen that might require me to get out the old tin-foil hat. Either that or Guy Hayley has been sneaking out of his cell at Warhammer World late at night, driving to my house and stealing my dreams again....
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

4. - Top - End - #484
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Would it be rude of me to ask for a spoiler? I've read the synopsis to that book...
    Not so much a spoiler for anything that happens in the book itself. But, previously we know that Guilliman hates the Ecclesiarchy. He fights for the Imperium. He fights for his Father's Vision. However, he does not fight for his Father. However, Guilliman also comes up against the Death Guard, and more specifically the Powers of Nurgle. What can even possibly do? He keeps fighting the Powers of Gods. And he's not doing so great at it.

Spoiler: Epilogue
    Show
    Earlier in the novel, Guilliman is gifted a box by a Rogue Trader.
    Guilliman knows what it is. He hasn't touched the thing...Ever. But now? He has to open it.

"He was reminded of the box of woes from an ancient legend no one in the current age remembered.
    [...]
    'There will be no hope beneath it,' he warned himself."
    I get references.

At the time he got it, he dismissed it as utter trash. He couldn't even be bothered to read it. He wanted to bring up the abomination with his Dad. But the Heresy was going on at the time, and both Guilliman and his Dad and all of his brothers were busy with other things.

But, seeing the box. Guilliman realised that he made a mistake.
    He never even read the ****ing thing. He never understood it. Perhaps that was one of the reasons why his Brother hated him so much. He poured his heart and soul into his work. Just as Guilliman had with Imperium Secundus, and Guilliman had never even read what his brother gave him. It was a calculated insult. Guilliman never even bothered to enter into a debate with his Brother, because he never even learned his Brother's point. Guilliman never even bothered to understand his adversary because he felt his Brother's views were so far beneath his.
    Then again, maybe Guilliman never read it, because he was afraid his Brother was actually right. Yeah, yeah. We all remember Dorn and Curze.

Guilliman caused intellectual dishonesty with himself. And now he has to put it right after the events of the Plague War.

"In appearance the book had nothing that suggested the power it possessed. But it was powerful, and so disruptive that Guilliman himself had banned it after Horus’ betrayal. Every copy that could be found was burned, its words deemed tainted with a traitor’s lies. It was expunged from history, scraped out of the record. People had died to protect it. The faithful called them martyrs, but the Imperial Cult had been small and ridiculous and he had ignored it. By then, the damage had been done. The thoughts were out, a memetic virus spread from mind to mind. It had no cure. The writings in this book, the thoughts and beliefs of an arch-traitor, were the foundation of the Imperial Cult.

He speculated if the high priests of the Ecclesiarchy were aware of this fact."

[...]

"Ten thousand years after Lorgar Aurelian set pen to paper to create this tract, Guilliman began to read it.

Rejoice, for I bring you glorious news.
    God walks among us.

So ran the first two lines of the
    Lectitio Divinitatus."

I think all's that's missing is a scene with Cypher just strolling up to Guilliman.
    "How did you-" Guilliman starts. Last time Guilliman saw Cypher was 100 years ago. On Terra. Locked in a cell with the key incinerated.
    Cypher spread his arms out, a rictus grin on his face. "I've been busy. Did you miss me?"

End.

I think Dark Imperium III is going to get really real. Guilliman will be powered by the Emperor in the same way that Mortarion is powered by Nurgle.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2018-10-14 at 03:53 PM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

5. - Top - End - #485
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    They changed Necrons. Now they have a sorta 'shadow webway'. It's kinda crappy, I liked the Inertialess Drives a lot better.
    Nope. You’re a codex or two behind. Sure, in one dex they added Dolmen Gates that let the crons hijack sections of the webway, and managed to fail to mention any other methods of FTL (despite adding an Overlord with a pirate fleet). But in the years and books since they re-added multiple different methods, including the Inertia drives. (My current count stands at around 4 or 5 distinct FTL methods. Necron techno-wizardry is bonkers.)

At any rate BFG:Armada 2 comes out in January, and includes an entire Necron campaign set after the Great Rift. So that should answer all questions about present Necron ship movement. (It’ll also include all 12 factions from the tabletop, and both Imperial and Tyranid campaigns. The tutorial level is piloting the Phalanx at the Fall Of Cadia. I’m SO hype.)
    Last edited by Voidhawk; 2018-10-15 at 09:10 AM.
    Looking back on sanity from the other side, and laughing really loudly

"In the whole of oWOD, there are only five normal people not somehow tied to the great supernatural conspiracy, and three of them were Elvis."
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tygre View Post
    If Ravenloft has taught me anything, darkness only makes the stars shine brighter.
    Bowl of Petunias avatar by Rincewind

6. - Top - End - #486
    Ogre in the Playground

Nah man they're totally watching us. GW's eyes are Everywhere.
    Omnissiah grant me the strength to change what I can,
    the patience to accept what I cannot,
    and CHAINFISTS FOR HANDS. Amen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timble View Post
    when an imperial knight says it wants to stick you in a large arena in which to fight to the death, you can't exactly say no.
    My 40k Discord Server: Join Today!
    Magic the Gathering (In the Playground)
    Games that I am in

7. - Top - End - #487
    Bugbear in the Playground

MonkGuy

Question: when did Space Marines become 8' tall?

I've got the original 1st edition "Rogue Trader" and "Warhammer 40k Compendium" books, and while they talk about the various physical augmentations that Marines undergo, I don't see anything about their height being increased. And the art in the books doesn't make them look larger than you would expect a powerfully-built human wearing armour to look.

So when was the fluff changed to make Space Marines giants?

8. - Top - End - #488
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Not so much a spoiler for anything that happens in the book itself. But, previously we know that Guilliman hates the Ecclesiarchy. He fights for the Imperium. He fights for his Father's Vision. However, he does not fight for his Father. However, Guilliman also comes up against the Death Guard, and more specifically the Powers of Nurgle. What can even possibly do? He keeps fighting the Powers of Gods. And he's not doing so great at it.

Spoiler: Epilogue
    Show
    Earlier in the novel, Guilliman is gifted a box by a Rogue Trader.
    Guilliman knows what it is. He hasn't touched the thing...Ever. But now? He has to open it.

"He was reminded of the box of woes from an ancient legend no one in the current age remembered.
    [...]
    'There will be no hope beneath it,' he warned himself."
    I get references.

At the time he got it, he dismissed it as utter trash. He couldn't even be bothered to read it. He wanted to bring up the abomination with his Dad. But the Heresy was going on at the time, and both Guilliman and his Dad and all of his brothers were busy with other things.

But, seeing the box. Guilliman realised that he made a mistake.
    He never even read the ****ing thing. He never understood it. Perhaps that was one of the reasons why his Brother hated him so much. He poured his heart and soul into his work. Just as Guilliman had with Imperium Secundus, and Guilliman had never even read what his brother gave him. It was a calculated insult. Guilliman never even bothered to enter into a debate with his Brother, because he never even learned his Brother's point. Guilliman never even bothered to understand his adversary because he felt his Brother's views were so far beneath his.
    Then again, maybe Guilliman never read it, because he was afraid his Brother was actually right. Yeah, yeah. We all remember Dorn and Curze.

Guilliman caused intellectual dishonesty with himself. And now he has to put it right after the events of the Plague War.

"In appearance the book had nothing that suggested the power it possessed. But it was powerful, and so disruptive that Guilliman himself had banned it after Horus’ betrayal. Every copy that could be found was burned, its words deemed tainted with a traitor’s lies. It was expunged from history, scraped out of the record. People had died to protect it. The faithful called them martyrs, but the Imperial Cult had been small and ridiculous and he had ignored it. By then, the damage had been done. The thoughts were out, a memetic virus spread from mind to mind. It had no cure. The writings in this book, the thoughts and beliefs of an arch-traitor, were the foundation of the Imperial Cult.

He speculated if the high priests of the Ecclesiarchy were aware of this fact."

[...]

"Ten thousand years after Lorgar Aurelian set pen to paper to create this tract, Guilliman began to read it.

Rejoice, for I bring you glorious news.
    God walks among us.

So ran the first two lines of the
    Lectitio Divinitatus."

I think all's that's missing is a scene with Cypher just strolling up to Guilliman.
    "How did you-" Guilliman starts. Last time Guilliman saw Cypher was 100 years ago. On Terra. Locked in a cell with the key incinerated.
    Cypher spread his arms out, a rictus grin on his face. "I've been busy. Did you miss me?"

End.

I think Dark Imperium III is going to get really real. Guilliman will be powered by the Emperor in the same way that Mortarion is powered by Nurgle.
    Its all a setup. DI3 will feature Lorgar as the primary antagonist, leading his legion to corrupt something. Guilliman's new understanding of Lorgar's mentality lets his TACTICAL GENIUS figure out the plan and goes to stop him. They meet on the battlefield, Lorgar demands to know how Guilliman could have forseen his attack. Guilliman replies:
    Spoiler
    Show

"Lorgar, you magnificent bastard, I read your book!

9. - Top - End - #489
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    A typical Space Marine stands just over 2.1m tall (7'; Deathwatch RPG). However the key word there is 'typical', so individual variations of course, exist. I have read that Space Marines can be 8.5' tall. But that was ages ago and I'm pretty sure a source wasn't listed. Even Pasanius Lysane is distinctly massive, however, his exact height is never explicitly given...And if it is, I don't remember it. Howe

As Space Marines are in Armour, I believe 2.4m (8') is generally accepted. However I don't have a source on that. However, Power Armour gives Space Marines the Hulking Size. Therefore, without Power Armour, Space Marines are not Hulking (e.g; Space Marines in Scout Armour) . Which means that whilst Space Marines are uniformly tall, they are not abnormally tall. See; Space Marines being 7' tall...Outside their Armour.

I would be able to give you a more accurate answer if any of the 40K RPGs actually had a proper size chart which told you how big a category actually was.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

10. - Top - End - #490
    Banned

A typical Space Marine stands just over 2.1m tall (7'; Deathwatch RPG). However the key word there is 'typical', so individual variations of course, exist. I have read that Space Marines can be 8.5' tall. But that was ages ago and I'm pretty sure a source wasn't listed. Even Pasanius Lysane is distinctly massive, however, his exact height is never explicitly given...And if it is, I don't remember it. Howe

As Space Marines are in Armour, I believe 2.4m (8') is generally accepted. However I don't have a source on that. However, Power Armour gives Space Marines the Hulking Size. Therefore, without Power Armour, Space Marines are not Hulking (e.g; Space Marines in Scout Armour) . Which means that whilst Space Marines are uniformly tall, they are not abnormally tall. See; Space Marines being 7' tall...Outside their Armour.

I would be able to give you a more accurate answer if any of the 40K RPGs actually had a proper size chart which told you how big a category actually was.
    so how tall are Primaris?

11. - Top - End - #491
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LansXero View Post
    Heretically tall.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

12. - Top - End - #492

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post

So when was the fluff changed to make Space Marines giants?
    Second Edition, when they were changed from the Judge Dredd-style police officers of Rogue Trader, to the genetically engineered transhuman Angels of Death that we know and love today. That was in 1993, for reference.

If you compare models - which we probably shouldn't do, because they generally don't represent the fluff very well but it's not as though we have much else to go on - then Primaris Marines are about as tall as an Astartes, with an additional 1/7th added on top.

So if an Astartes is 7' in armour, a Primaris can be reasonably assumed to be 8' in armour.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear
    I have read that Space Marines can be 8.5' tall. But that was ages ago and I'm pretty sure a source wasn't listed.
    I can think of one or two examples. Volos, a Black Dragon from The Death of Antagonis was "a full head taller" than the next tallest guy in his squad, and I think Arjac Rockfist of the Space Wolves is supposed to be of similar stature even outside of his Terminator armour.

13. - Top - End - #493
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So if an Astartes is 7' outside armour, a Primaris can be reasonably assumed to be 8' outside armour.
    FTFY.

I can think of one or two examples. Volos, a Black Dragon from The Death of Antagonis was "a full head taller" than the next tallest guy in his squad, and I think Arjac Rockfist of the Space Wolves is supposed to be of similar stature even outside of his Terminator armour.
    Alexis Polux (in armour) could look Guilliman in the eye, so I'm pretty sure Polux was 10' tall in armour.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2018-10-16 at 04:33 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

14. - Top - End - #494
    Colossus in the Playground

As Space Marines are in Armour, I believe 2.4m (8') is generally accepted.

The boots aren't that thick-soled - certainly not a whole foot. They look maybe 3 or 4 inches thick in most images.

Similarly the helmet shouldn't add much more than a couple of inches to the Marine's height.

So armour shouldn't add more than half a foot to a Marine's overall height.

That said, the "7 ft tall in armour" poster at GWHQ shows a marine with legs far apart. Given that marines are capable of "standing to attention" (some art shows marines in a much more straight-legged posture) that might add an extra few inches to the height of an armoured Marine - from 7 ft to maybe 7 and a half ft.

Consistent with them being 7 ft out of armour.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2018-10-16 at 07:27 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

15. - Top - End - #495

Griffon

FTFY.
    I can *read*. I *know* the difference between 'in' and 'out'. Honest.

...Thank you.

16. - Top - End - #496
    Bugbear in the Playground

Reading through the whole "solar system fortification" discussion, I feel like a lot of that is really missing the point. Trying to argue about 40k with hard numbers and fact is pointless, because 40k isn't supposed to be accurate. Especially everything about space in 40k has always operated under the Rule of Cool (or should that rather be the Rule of Grimdark?), nothing really makes sense there, but that's okay because again, it's not hard scifi.

If they tell you "they had to strip-mine a million worlds to build the fortifications of Holy Terra!", the point isn't to get out the calculator and see if the numbers add up, it's that this is a universe in which strip-mining a million worlds and having a billion workers die during the millenia or whatever it takes to build those fortifications is seen as a completely reasonable solution. 40k has always been about adding that extra zero to any relevant number, be it timespans, army sizes, planetary numbers or whatever so that thinking about the numbers is just a way to make your head hurt until you throw your hands into the air and say "Okay, nevermind, all hail the Emperor!"

17. - Top - End - #497
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

More looking around the internet (where no sources are ever cited), Marines appear to be around 7-7'6 tall. Not including Chapter and individual variance that make freakish giants (e.g; Lysane, Volos, Polux). I assume that there are 'short' Space Marines, but I can't think of any at all in canon, because who wants to read about small Space Marines? With Power Armour adding about half a foot. So. Judging by how Marines are made, I would assume that Space Marine height skews upwards, which means that it wouldn't surprise me if short Marines were considered 'failed' Neophytes. Which means that Marines that are 7'6+6" are fairly normal in the scheme of things. However, not all Marines are going to be 8" tall in their Armour...But it's certainly not weird if they are.

Again, no sources were cited. But the same things kept coming up.

The only canon source I have is Deathwatch/Black Crusade; Astartes are typically 7' tall, the addition of Power Armour causes them to go up a size category. Naked Astartes - or more commonly Marines-in-Scout Armour - are not extra huge. Neither Deathwatch or BC have size tables with measurements.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2018-10-16 at 09:58 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

18. - Top - End - #498
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    The boots aren't that thick-soled - certainly not a whole foot. They look maybe 3 or 4 inches thick in most images.
    I'm now imagining Space Marines in platform shoes. It would be majestic.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Colossus in the Playground

Traditionally, the size of the Imperium is dictated by the range of the Astronomicon, in that once you go beyond the edge of the Milky Way you can't see it any more and thus can't navigate properly. So a radius of 50,000 light years, or 3.17+9AU, approximately.
    The exact radius varies from book to book (I've seen some sources say 70,000 light years) - but since Terra is not at the center of the galaxy, the limit on the Terran side of the galaxy - Segmentum Pacificus - should be less "can't see the Astronomicon" and more "there's hardly any stars or planets beyond the galactic rim anyway".

In order to cover the whole Ultima Segmentum section of the galaxy, all the way out to Macragge, the Astronomicon needs a range of nearly 70,000 light years- because Terra is on the order of 25,000 light years away from the galactic center, and Macragge is nearly 3 times as far away from Terra, as the galactic center is, on the map.

As Space Marines are in Armour, I believe 2.4m (8') is generally accepted.
    I *know* the difference between 'in' and 'out'.
    I checked the Deathwatch book (page 28) and can confirm that the "slightly over 2.1m" (7 ft) figure specifically says "in power armour" - so the increase to 8 ft isn't needed.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2018-10-16 at 04:58 PM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

20. - Top - End - #500

So I've been going back through old Apocalypse supplements for ideas for our upcoming Apocalypse game, and have noticed something. According to War Zone: Damocles, the homeworld of House Terryn of the Imperial Knights is Voltoris. But nobles of House Terryn fought in the Red WAAAGH! on Alaric Prime, which implies that they hail from that world, though they're only mentioned in the opening stages of the campaign and don't come up again in the second book. Lexicanum comes down on the side of Voltoris, but do we know what's up with that otherwise?
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

21. - Top - End - #501

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    Lexicanum comes down on the side of Voltoris, but do we know what's up with that otherwise?
    Alaric Prime is a Knight World however its owned by House Degallio, whereas House Terryn's homeworld is safe and boring so they're renowned for 'crusading' to other places.

That seems to be it, pretty much. They came to help out their neighbours (both planets are in the Eastern Fringe) whose home was attacked, and then went off to do their own thing later. Perhaps by "from there", the text meant to imply "from Ultramar" or "from the 500 worlds" or something along those lines. Or maybe someone messed up and forgot which was which, that happens sometimes, too.

22. - Top - End - #502
    Titan in the Playground

House Terryn are the "cadians" or "ultramarines" of knights, so they turn up everywhere you might need a lot of them pictured.

23. - Top - End - #503

SolithKnightGuy

I'll just leave this here
    Have fun with Sigmar's Warhammer!

24. - Top - End - #504
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Am currently doing a bunch of travelling for work, so am getting through some of my reading backlog. Angels of Caliban was actually pretty good, I enjoyed it more than I expected, even if I was a little disappointed that it wasn't about the interesting bits of the Thramas crusade (read: Tsagualsa). Praetorian of Dorn was the first John French book I wouldn't immediately read again, so despite it being OK, it was still a little disappointing. Corax was surprisingly good, right up until the last bit where it was all down the drain and ruined all the work that had been done to turn Corax (and the Raven Guard) into an interesting character instead of an emo meme. Super disappointed with that, to the point where if it didn't have a significant impact on the HH, I'd declare it to be a bad fanfic that accidentally got published. As always, anything with the SW in general and Bjorn specifically is bad. Yet more proof that not wiping out the yiffs is Magnus and the Thousand Sons real sin.

25. - Top - End - #505
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Drasius View Post
    Am currently doing a bunch of travelling for work, so am getting through some of my reading backlog. Angels of Caliban was actually pretty good, I enjoyed it more than I expected, even if I was a little disappointed that it wasn't about the interesting bits of the Thramas crusade (read: Tsagualsa). Praetorian of Dorn was the first John French book I wouldn't immediately read again, so despite it being OK, it was still a little disappointing. Corax was surprisingly good, right up until the last bit where it was all down the drain and ruined all the work that had been done to turn Corax (and the Raven Guard) into an interesting character instead of an emo meme. Super disappointed with that, to the point where if it didn't have a significant impact on the HH, I'd declare it to be a bad fanfic that accidentally got published. As always, anything with the SW in general and Bjorn specifically is bad. Yet more proof that not wiping out the yiffs is Magnus and the Thousand Sons real sin.
    What about it struck you as particularly emo? If anything...

Spoiler: Corax
    Show
    Russ is way more emo, what with his whining and wanting to die. Serves him well too, ******* should´ve stayed in Terra instead of seeking suicide-by-Horus. Sure, Corax wanted to wipe himself out as well, but he snaps out of it at the end.

What he did with the Therions though... that actually made me sadder than what happened to the raptors.

26. - Top - End - #506
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

What about it struck you as particularly emo? If anything...
    Spoiler
    Show
    The part where he decides that he's too filled with chaos and so sends his legion on a suicide mission and effectively kills off his mortal saviours just so he can choose to be too good for this sinful world (and then farks it up at the end by surviving).

The bit I find most jarring is that we've just spent the previous 5 or so stories hearing about Corax's resolve not to throw away his legion on pointless attacks, along with his constant statement that he can't die until he gives Horus the finger, and then it all gets thrown away for the sake of returning us to the regularly scheduled grimdark.

27. - Top - End - #507
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Drasius View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    The part where he decides that he's too filled with chaos and so sends his legion on a suicide mission and effectively kills off his mortal saviours just so he can choose to be too good for this sinful world (and then farks it up at the end by surviving).

The bit I find most jarring is that we've just spent the previous 5 or so stories hearing about Corax's resolve not to throw away his legion on pointless attacks, along with his constant statement that he can't die until he gives Horus the finger, and then it all gets thrown away for the sake of returning us to the regularly scheduled grimdark.
    Show
    Well, he does snap out of it, probably because watching Leman go from unrestrained bully to whipped cur was a huge wake up call. But its more or less a parallel to Sanguinius feeling 'wrong' because he has wing, and the whole 'All Primarchas have a bit of chaos in them' subplot thats been running through the series. Killing off the Therions was awful, but right now Corax is supposed to be transitioning into the downward spiral that will end with him going 'nevermore' and lost, so they had to show him broken or it would seem to come out of nowhere when it happened.

28. - Top - End - #508
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Show
    Well, he does snap out of it, probably because watching Leman go from unrestrained bully to whipped cur was a huge wake up call. But its more or less a parallel to Sanguinius feeling 'wrong' because he has wing, and the whole 'All Primarchas have a bit of chaos in them' subplot thats been running through the series. Killing off the Therions was awful, but right now Corax is supposed to be transitioning into the downward spiral that will end with him going 'nevermore' and lost, so they had to show him broken or it would seem to come out of nowhere when it happened.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, but they did a really crappy job at it, made all the worse as Angels of Caliban did surprisingly well at making Luthor's DA's slide into rebellion rather believable while we had the previous 5 stories in the same book have Corax be resolute in his rejection of the emo-side.

It just sort of comes out of nowhere. If they had've had him make all his plans and go off all commando and have that result in getting his legion massacred a second time, then that would've seemed like a much better reason for him to be all "woe-is-me" rather than him getting all huffy after hearing that Emps is playing the field trying to look out for his sons. This way, he just gets all pissy, sends the Therions off to the meat grinder and leads his legion to be slaughtered at the drop of a hat.

Even worse, saving the woofs should be a big deal, and saving Russ should be an even bigger deal, but I don't think I've ever heard about the yiffs owing the RG anything amount to a debt of loyalty or similar. That whole story just feels really out of place against the other stories in that book, the tone is very different and it's much slower going, yet jumps all over the place.

29. - Top - End - #509
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I finally got around to reading Evil Sun Rising (the story about the lead up to Sanctus Reach from the Ork side of things) the other day and enjoyed it a fair bit. Sure enough, as I went looking for audio dramas to listen to on the long trips to work, there's a follow up of 3 stories about the characters. Wasn't a bad set of stories and the VA's were obviously enjoying themselves, but one story focused heavily on the red grot revolution army! Talk about bringing ancient history back to the scene!

Currently about to finish part 1 of the Enforcer trilogy and absolutely loving it so far. Thanks for the recommendation Cheesegear!

30. - Top - End - #510

I'm coming up with a backstory for my Titan Legion, and I need to know: obviously I can swap out weapons through the magic of magnets, but how likely is that to happen in universe? Would a particular Princeps have her Titan equipped with different weapons for different situations, or are individual Titan loadouts pretty much fixed once they're built? Obviously it wouldn't be an easy or common thing to change out the weapons on a Warlord, for example, but does it happen at all?