New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Clouded Antelope Help

I told a player that he could play anything he wanted in our 3.5 game. So he's putting that to the test by asking to play a clouded antelope. There is virtually no information about this thing and he won't leave it alone. Does anybody have stats or suggested stats for this thing?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Clouded Antelope Help

Just to be clear, is this creature what you mean?

Does the player have any information on what he wants it to be like?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Just to be clear, is this creature what you mean?

Does the player have any information on what he wants it to be like?
    1) Yes, that's it.

2) He doesn't want it smaller than medium and he wants it to be 'fluffy'. I have insisted on tiny or small size due to the picture references that we looked at. Other information he's given me has more to do with character class.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

There's no game info on the critter?

Maybe it's like a fluffy little steed: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/ponyWar.htm

Note that the War Pony only has Int 2 and isn't intended to be playable.

If you want help making up something new for your player, could you give us info on the rest of the party? Balancing internally against the rest of the group is much more important than seeking any kind of objective balance -- there isn't much of the latter.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Pokelord2
    2) He doesn't want it smaller than medium and he wants it to be 'fluffy'. I have insisted on tiny or small size due to the picture references that we looked at. Other information he's given me has more to do with character class.
    This is a little confusing. Which size will the creature be?

Also, is there any information on what exactly this creature is, and does? I’ve never heard of it before, and I'm not sure if this is drawn from Chinese mythology or if it’s a modern invention.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

This certainly looks like a Qilin (or Kirin), the mythological creature in a number of East Asian traditions. There are stats for one in Oriental Adventures, but it's Huge and not playable since it doesn't have a listed ECL and is a CR 18 monster.
    You might consider using the stats for a Unicorn for something closer to playable, or using the stats for Bariaur from Planar Handbook for a start as a quadripedal playable race, or the more powerful version from BoED.

There are also the Pathfinder rules for Ponykind which will need some tweaking to work in 3.5 but might be a starting point.
    Last edited by The Viscount; 2018-09-08 at 12:26 PM.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by The Viscount
    This certainly looks like a Qilin (or Kirin), the mythological creature in a number of East Asian traditions.
    Aha! I was thinking of illustrations of this creature, but couldn't remember the name.

Originally Posted by The Viscount
    You might consider using the stats for a Unicorn for something closer to playable....
    This is why I'm hoping to get a clarification from the OP on exactly what size it will be.

If it works out to Small or Medium, then the OP could try modifying the stats for the hybsil, which is a sort of halfling-centaur with an antelope body. It's 3.0 from Monsters of Faerun, but there was a 3.5 update and it shouldn't be hard to customize.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I don't care what size it is since I can just adjust it later. The problem I have is I have virtually no information on this thing other than 'it's fluffy' and 'from another dimension'. I have informed the player that this is a ton of blanks that I need to fill in but he doesn't seem to get that it is a ton of work on my part as a GM.

He did ask about playing a kirin but I told him that it would be a difficult thing to implement since it isn't normally a player race. Then he went back to going on about clouded antelopes.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pokelord2 View Post
    I don't care what size it is since I can just adjust it later. The problem I have is I have virtually no information on this thing other than 'it's fluffy' and 'from another dimension'. I have informed the player that this is a ton of blanks that I need to fill in but he doesn't seem to get that it is a ton of work on my part as a GM.

He did ask about playing a kirin but I told him that it would be a difficult thing to implement since it isn't normally a player race. Then he went back to going on about clouded antelopes.
    Give him half-elf stats and a weird hat of disguise.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

As far as I know, the cloud/clouded antelope is a modern invented species. Looks like it was specifically the handmade creation of a dollmaker. A few gullible folks ran with the idea that it’s something real (or at least mythical), but it has no real history of predefined traits behind it.

I second the Ponykind suggestion, especially if you borrow the ‘unicorn’ variant, which has some magical abilities and extra feats that give it more magical potential.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Start out by asking him what class he wants to play with NO HANDS!
    Currently Playing: Aire Romaris Chaotic Good Male Half Celestial Gray Elf Duskblade 13 / Swiftblade 7 /// Elven Generallist Wizard 20

12. - Top - End - #12

PaladinGuy

That thing is definitely going to have a racial bonus to Charisma.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lylsyly View Post
    Start out by asking him what class he wants to play with NO HANDS!
    Presumably either a psionic or melee combat class
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

14. - Top - End - #14

In all seriousness Pony (MM 177) is about right. Take away the HD and let it be by class, Size is Medium, Hoof atk for 1d3, give him the horns and add a Head butt attack for 1d6 (1d4?), tell him he's gonna have to play a druid with the natural spell feat. DONE!

Sometimes we have to give players what they want if only to show them how it DOESN'T work ;)
    Currently Playing: Aire Romaris Chaotic Good Male Half Celestial Gray Elf Duskblade 13 / Swiftblade 7 /// Elven Generallist Wizard 20

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Going off the picture it looks nothing like an antelope...

Half white dragon arctic fox, with bite substituted for gore?
    Last edited by Dalmosh; 2018-09-08 at 05:25 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm looking at that picture, and I'm seeing something that looks out of place on the ground. That, plus the name, makes me think it lives in the clouds.

I'd stat it as a Ravid with legs, or a weirdly shaped silver dragon, or a pegasus that doesn't need wings from Ponyfinder, maybe all three, then delete anything that didn't fit. For the Ravid, I'd remove its positive energy abilities, but keep wingless flight. For the silver dragon, I'd take away most things but keep the cloud walking. For the ponyfinder pegasus, I'd just take away the wings but keep the flight. Then I'd make sure I specified that it had legs, declare it a 'smart' magical beast, and finally add a gore attack, because horns.
    Last edited by Bronk; 2018-09-08 at 06:00 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Just let the guy play a Druid (or a Wild Shape Ranger, if he's more martially-inclined). Done.

Maybe a were-war pony could work?

There's gotta be a savage progression for a horse-like creature somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Thank you all for your help. I think I have enough information to go by.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pokelord2 View Post
    Thank you all for your help. I think I have enough information to go by.
    Do let us know what you end up going with.

I kinda want to see a PC who true mindswitch'd with a stuffed animal.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    Do let us know what you end up going with.

I kinda want to see a PC who true mindswitch'd with a stuffed animal.
    Would that be like the Pseudonatural Insectile Tibbit? I still have that stuck in my head ;)