New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Total War: Monstrum IC

THE DREAMING PLAGUE

“I can’t sleep, doctor.”

The man on the couch is dressed in sturdy, well-made clothes, but still gives the impression of being ragged around the edges. Hollows under his eyes and nails chewed down to the quick.

“Every time I close my eyes and lay down to rest, I see them,” he continues. “I can’t stop thinking about it. Their faces in the gas. Couldn’t have been more than fourteen years old.”

“Powerful moments such as that do have a way of etching themselves into memory,” says the doctor. “I believe we can help you with that, if you're willing.”

“This won’t make me forget about them, will it?” the man says. “I mean, I just want to be able to sleep. I don’t want to forget those kids. I, you know, I guess..." He hesitates. "I feel like I owe it to them. Someone needs to remember.”

“The hypnosis therapy won’t erase your memory, no,” says the doctor. “It just...smooths out the jarring burr in your subconscious that this event has created. Eases the edges of the etching, if you like. You will remember them, but the memory won’t be as painful.”

“Doc, I gotta be honest, I don’t really know what that means,” says the man on the couch.

“Don’t worry about it,” says the doctor. “Just know that you will forget nothing.”

The man thinks for a moment.

“All right, then,” he says. “Let’s do it.”

“Very well,” says the doctor. He raises a pendulum, a stone carved with strange symbols at the end of a fine chain, and sets it swinging. “Follow the pendulum with your eyes.”

“You are tired. You are weary. Do not close your eyes, but sink down into the cushions and rest.”

“Now, with your eyes open, begin to dream...”

To Kasdeveris, from A Strange Apparition
    Spoiler
    Show
    Michael Milos is in an alleyway of the refugee camp late at night, doing things that you don't need to concern yourself with, when the thing appears.

It is not a man. It almost looks like one, but there's something wrong about the edges, like you're squinting while looking at it. It makes Milos' eyes water, before Kasdeveris suppresses that human instinct in his borrowed mortal body.

It doesn't say anything, but as he opens his mouth to speak Kasdeveris can suddenly remember it having spoken.

HELLO, it does not say.

A WORD WITH YOU REGARDING THESE FLEETING SOULS

DEATH CONSUMES THAT WHICH SUSTAINS

WE WISH TO ASCERTAIN IF YOUR PLANS INVOLVE THE DEMISE OF ALL THOSE WITHIN THIS TERRITORY / NEIGHBORHOOD / DELINEATED PLACE

NOT TO STOP YOU

JUST TO KNOW

WHAT DO YOU DREAM ABOUT

This is not real
    It is better than that

To St. Horace's Veterans Society, from the Institute
    Spoiler
    Show
    An orderly walks among the veterans at St. Horace's, talking quietly with the broken men and distributing small informational pamphlets.

YOU GAVE YOUR ALL
    YOU NEED NOT SUFFER FOR IT

The Novska Institute for the Study of Mental Derangement has developed revolutionary new techniques for restoring mind and body
    Clear away the remnants of shell shock
    Dispose of unwanted memories
    Train your mind to think clearly and rationally
    Live the life you have earned, through your service and your suffering

Come to the Runstelv Memorial Asylum, and ask for Doctor Tolks

This is not real
    It has no end

To the Undivided, from This Same Old Nightmare
    Spoiler
    Show
    The dream is always the same.

The shriek as the shells come down.

The gibbering madness of the orders on the telegraph line, repeating "HOLD, HOLD, HOLD," like the lieutenant hammering the keys back in the headquarters trench could make it happen through sheer repetition.

The sight of Pierre's face, laughing as he breathed in the gas.

The mortar landing at his feet, and the sudden moment of grateful peace as he realized he was about to die, and be done with this hell.

Sometimes it was a dud, and all it did was splash him with mud and Pierre's blood. This is what had actually happened, and it was always disappointing.

Sometimes, it exploded.

Tonight, it spoke to him.

It talked to him of a world scoured free of this disease that built only to destroy. A world cured of the human condition.

It talked to him of a peace that could never be broken. It talked to him of folly, and glory, and how close they both were to each other.

And it told him how a new world could be made.

This is not real
    But it should be

To the Blue Militia, from the Institute
    Spoiler
    Show
    To Whom it May Concern,

I have been given to understand that you and your compatriots have been engaged in protecting those unfortunates in the refugee camp who most need protecting--which is a laudable achievement, to be sure. However, I also understand that there are those who, while certainly not innocent, are not deserving of the sternest of punishments. I wish to offer you an opportunity, for those individuals that might be able to be rehabilitated into more upstanding citizens--send them to us at the Runstelv Memorial Asylum. We have had great success recently in altering or removing criminal impulses at a subconscious, and I am eager to apply these new findings to the benefit of all Novska.

We also have had some great success in improving the mental states of the insane or broken, which I feel is especially relevant to those affected by the recent great disaster that has enveloped all of Europa and, indeed, the world. In addition to rehabilitation of criminals, I would like to offer my services to anyone you know who might need to refocus themselves, or recover from shell shock, or relieve themselves of other maladies of the mind. These are not embarrassing disorders that need to be hidden in shame from the world; not any more, at least, thanks to the miracles of modern science.

Yours truly,
    Doctor Hermann Tolks

“How do you feel?” asks the doctor.

“Better, actually,” says the man, surprised. “Rested. I haven’t felt this good since I got back from the war.”

The doctor smiles. “I’m so glad to hear that.”

To Novska Police, from the Institute
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir,

I come to you with an offer of aid. Your police force is doing great work, but you carry a terrible burden, and as a citizen hoping to help improve this city I would like to do what I can to help. We have recently opened a new wing of the Runstelv Memorial Asylum, and I am ready to take criminally insane patients in the hopes of keeping them safe from harm and, in time, possibly rehabilitate them into respectable citizens. We have had great success with recent subconscious therapies that allow us to calm the wild beast inside the heart of the madman, and to mute criminal impulses in the mind of the career troublemaker, and I would like to be able to apply these therapies for the greater good of all Novska.

Yours truly,
    Doctor Hermann Tolks

The man walks a black desert, devoid of all life
    In the distance his fears and desires pile into mountains
    He does not look at the thing which fills the sky
    Imprisoning, looming, comforting, protecting
    He is safe here
    So long as it allows him to be
    So long as he dreams the right dreams
    It will be there
    Forevermore
    This night and all the nights to come
    Total War
    Spoiler
    Show

Current Games

Past Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ran: Boundless Isles
    IC
    OOC

Sixth Nexus: THE VIGIL

Total War: Cape City
    Spoiler
    Show

LOCKWOOD-COBAN AUGMENTED INDUSTRIES

Total War: Serillia
    Spoiler
    Show

The Crimson

Ran: Broken City
    First IC Thread
    First OOC Thread

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

The Archivist of Novska

PC

Spoiler: Lovelace Foundation
    Show

Becker leaned back and clapped his hands “Wonderful! Just say when I should arrive, and what I should bring. I will try to do some reading up before hand – the problem with knowing more theory then practice is that it can be hard to keep the important things at the top of your mind.

Lowering his voice, a conspiratorial look on his face, he continued “I’ll hopefully have a few more, ah, prosaic ideas as well, once I speak to my comrades and the Archivist. If your Foundation feels the same, I think we can do great things together.

Spoiler: Solis Aeterni
    Show

Alison Tester was rather unusual for the location-Americans not exactly being thick on the ground on the Adriatic. A ship captain in the Lamplighter’s employ, her eye permanently swollen shut like the aftermath of a bad bar fight. Kept perpetually busy attending to the Orient’s affairs outside the city proper, one chilly morning found her arriving at the Blazing Sun, asking to speak with a senior officer.

NPC

Spoiler: Lazy Caravan
    Show

The decrepit old man took the hand and shook it warmly “A pleasure, as always.”

Stepping fully into the tent, lowering his voice, he continued “I was hoping you might provide some elaboration or context, honestly. A ‘place of needing company and surest care’ describes quite a few areas of our fair city, after all.”

Spoiler: Midnight Sun
    Show

The Archivist hid a laugh, poorly. “Fair. We’ll have to wait until some other industrious types do the research, then. For now, hmm, that puts digging up the story of the lump of meat feeding itself to everyone more in your area?”

Spoiler: The Waxen Archive
    Show

“Weather control’s beyond me at the moment, but there’s plenty of insulated space available if you desire it.”

Giving a pleased little nod at the sign of agreement, she began to pace, arms behind her back as she fell into a well-practised bit of rhapsodizing

“I’m truly pleased to hear it. I’ve barely any eyes with which to see in the here and now, and it truly pains me to think of everything that might be passing by unrecorded.

And our audience? The only one that matters-posterity. In one thousand years, this city will be a footnote in the legends of dead empires. In one million, humanity’s bones will have been picked clean by its children and creations. Soon enough, history takes a breath and this bright little star reduces the whole planet to cinders and ash. I, and I hope you as well, consider this a tragedy. So we observe, record, pry and scry and intrude, violate every trust and unravel every conspiracy. All to ensure that when everything you can perceive is dust, as little as possible will have been lost.”

Stopping to calm herself with another long drink of tea “I think I might have an idea about the weather control, actually. It’ll be ugly but-you mostly just need this particular park warmer, and until Spring?”

Spoiler: Novska Historical Society
    Show

To the Esteemed Wilhelm Holub, esq,

Salutations and Best Regards,

Your reply was very well received, and I thank you for taking the time to send it. While any expertise you’d be willing to share on any aspect of our fair city is more then welcome, at the moment our fellowship has found itself preoccupied with the history of the Bakar mountains and the baths therein. Does your fine society have the good luck to boast any experts on the subject?

Fondest Regards,
    Ms. Elsa Keay, on behalf of the Illuminated Orient of Novska

The world was born in flame and art,
    The world was born – then torn apart.
    Creation’s sorrow rent the sky
    T​o know all things would cool and die​.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

The Cloaked Leviathan

PCs

Spoiler: To Eltest Kha
    Show
    The creature that greets the extrasolar's representative looks like he was a proud man, once. A naval uniform - whose color now is impossible to state definitively - hangs in tatters around a thickset but muscular frame, and sodden black hair has long since outgrown its regulation. Coiling dragons, or perhaps more serpents, gild in gold that which was Drowned long ago. Fleet Admiral Zheng He stands at attention, having awaited visitors on the rocks for some time.

"Bargain with my master is sought, not offered - it is good of you and yours to acknowledge this, and come wielding etiquette. The terms of keeping the port are deemed acceptable to the Serpent below, but my master cares not for wood or iron. Instead, we would ask of you the secret doings of immortal souls at work in the city, whenever convenient. Would such an counter-proposal be amenable to your Prince?"

Spoiler: To Solis Aeterni
    Show
    The creature - for it was a man, once, but now is neither living nor dead - chuckles at the appellation of 'Beast'. It sounds like nothing so much as gasping for air against a senseless tide.

"To the radiance of Solis Aeterni, the Cloaked Leviathan would like to express its admiration. There are very few in this city that it would consider a true peer, and fewer still who wield the might of divinity as the Eternal Sun. It is in this spirit of kinship that my master is offering an arrangement." The Drowned from Tyre pauses as a minnow escapes from a hole in its sunken cheek to fall on the ground below. "The Leviathan bid me tell you this: 'a king does not kill a king. Instead, let us feed upon these lesser godlings. Neither sun nor sea need encroach upon the other.'"

Spoiler: To the Archivist
    Show
    The white haired woman nods implacably. "It is true that my master's presence here has rippled the waters. Already, there are those who undoubtedly conspire to scourge the depths of the Leviathan's trace. They will fail, but it is in the nature of such princelings to reach beyond their grasp. Only disaster awaits them." The Vinlander clears her throat.

"As for those who have sought us out to offer terms, such as your own master, we will respond in kind. The Leviathan lives to hunt the divine, but your Archivist has worth beyond the sustenance the Serpent would gain from devouring it. Your mention of 'contingencies' only confirms what we already knew: your Prince has a mind for secrets, and the inclination to keep them." The Drowned warrior shifts her weight, the presence of a large rusted axe at her belt suddenly impossible to ignore. "My master would trade such whispers for safe passage from the storm to come."

NPCs

Spoiler: To Baatalion
    Show
    Jack Scrimshaw, in his human life a sailor, prisoner, and rogue, is perhaps the least august of the Leviathan's prizes. Nevertheless, it is the Australian who has been front and center in the Serpent's political schemes, so it comes as little surprise that the Drowned who arrives to speak with the Quaestor of Novska is the very same who attended the Election meeting earlier.

Waiting patiently until called upon, no goldfish to be seen, Scrimshaw observes the proper manners when addressing the self-proclaimed Son of Astarte. "Far be it from me to speak out of turn," the Drowned man rasps, "but my master has now witnessed those who would claim to be your rival, and believes that you may want a friend in the deep end of the pool, so to speak. The sun may burn itself out, but it is hardly the only one knocking at your door. The Cloaked Leviathan has no interest in what it sees as frivolous titles. Instead, let it help you remain a king among princes."

Spoiler: To the Tidesingers
    Show
    The Abyssal Plain of the Adriatic is not as deep as its name might imply. Between surface and silt, there is on average less than a kilometer of water. To the north, between Venice and Trieste, the sea's depth is barely three hundred feet. The waters there have been well-traveled for centuries, ever since the Romans. Italian mariners have learned the subtle currents of the sunny waves, plying their trade between the rocks and coves of that coast for as long as there have been two towns with cargo to offload.

The same qualities cannot be ascribed to the Pit. A place where the sun's rays do not reach, the plain descends sharply into utter darkness below. For years, there were predators in these waters. Now there is only one.

The three witches of the Tidesingers find at first that nothing is waiting for them. Adjusted as they surely are to the shocking cold, intense pressure, and complete obscurity that the Pit brings, all they spot are the cavernous walls of that submerged place. It is at that moment that the very shadows begin to move. What might have at first seemed like a reef shifts, the faintest glimmer of scales and fins catching the witches' bulbous eyes. The Serpent is, in fact, impossible to make out in full, but there is a set of numerous glowing, serpentine red eyes looking back at the trio balefully from the darkness.

"Flatterers," intones the Cloaked Leviathan, and its very voice is the echo of waves grinding on rocks. "I have summoned you here, to my lair, because as creatures of the sea you owe me awe. Luckily for you, I did not come to Novska to dine on my own descendants - a hunt is underway. However, I have no need for human titles, territories, or possessions. Join me, and I will show you what it means to exalt in an enemy's demise. You can keep what you steal."

Spoiler: To Godseeker
    Show
    "A spot of tea would be lovely," replies the briny Crozier. He returns the smile, which is actually nowhere near as comforting as it ought to be, considering the blackened teeth and the bits of coral that poke out from his throat. "None of us live as mortals anymore, but I confess that I would enjoy the sight nonetheless."

Taking the time to examine many of the antiques as well as commenting on their provenance, the former officer of the HMS Erebus does his best not to drip any sea water on his host's floor while finding himself a comfortable seat. "Yes, well I suppose I should get down to business. I come bearing glad tidings from the depths below: as long as my master has a foothold in this city, you will be made safe from the sea. The Leviathan has no desire to destroy human history - far from it, in fact - and so you can continue your studies in peace. Furthermore, with your permission, we can make it known that you are under the Leviathan's protection."

Crozier takes his cap in hand before continuing. "In exchange, all my master asks for is information. Novska is a den of divinities, and the Leviathan is about to embark on a hunt the likes of which has yet to be seen by this world. We would ask that you aid my master's efforts by sharing what you might know on several of its Princes."
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2019-05-13 at 06:38 PM.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

The Archivist of Novska

Spoiler: The Cloaked Leviathan
    Show

The Lamplighter carefully considered the Drowned's words, striking a match and lighting a cigarette for several long moments. After a long puff, she replied

My patron will appreciate the vote of confidence, I'm sure. The deal's agreeable, but that means a storm is coming, then? If I'm going to be a little bird whispering in your ear, I'd appreciate a bit of warning on when to get off the ground, too. Some safety from wolves in the woods, or hungry things in the sky, maybe?

5. - Top - End - #35

The Pipe

The Wednesday Night Industrialists Party
    Spoiler
    Show

Current Invite List: Fwerstok Fisheries, Farkas Mining Conglomerate, Mayor Vedran Markovic (City Administration), Damjanac Heavy Industries, The Dollmaker

As the invite's enter an usher takes their invitations and leads them to the large room on the second floor balcony. It overlooks the stage and the dance floor that currently has many small tables listening to a soft jazz band. The room has its own small bar, but any mixed drinks have to come from one of the other bars in the building. After a respectable meal Otto stands up.

"I would like to invite everyone to Club Donau. We normally do not have meetings like this, but we hope you enjoy the gathering. It was put on by Eric Stardt who, if I remember correctly, would like to have a quick word.."

Eric stands up a few seats down the table. "Yes, My name is Eric Stardt and I am a displaced Entrepreneur who came to this fine city during the war. Now that it has ended, I believe the city and all of us here have a significant opportunity that we shouldn't pass up. One of the great inventions of the last century was the railroads, and they are all throughout the rest of the world. I think with the assistance of everyone in this room we can create our own connection into that network and significantly boost Novska's trade capabilities. Now the details will need to be hammered out, but if we can get everyone here to agree that is the direction we want to go, I think we can achieve this goal. What are your thoughts?"

At that he looks around and motions for the others to give their opinions.

The Friday Night Inventors Party
    Spoiler
    Show

Current Invite List: Emily Vanders (and the professor of the Group of 5), the International Hunting Society, The Adriatic Times, The RALLY,the Lovelace Foundation, Novska FC

As the invite's enter an usher takes their invitations and leads them to the large room on the second floor balcony. It overlooks the stage and the dance floor that currently has many small tables listening to a soft jazz band. The room has its own small bar, but any mixed drinks have to come from one of the other bars in the building. After a respectable meal Otto stands up.

"I would like to invite everyone to Club Donau. We normally do not have meetings like this, but we hope you enjoy the gathering. It was put on by Eric Stardt who, if I remember correctly, would like to have a quick word.."

Eric stands up a few seats down the table. "Thank you, My name is Eric Stardt, and I am a displace Entrepreneur who came here during the war. I am here to offer you guys to get in on the start of the first Novska Radio station for entertainment. This technology has already been pioneered in America, and has been used throughout the war. This will give us a new, stronger way to communicating with the people of the city. This broadcast will allow us to reach huge new audiences and turn the city into the jewel of the country. Who is interested?"

The Saturday Night Long Party
    Spoiler
    Show

Current Invite List: Silver Falcon, The Dainava Howlpack (assuming they have a human form), Novska Police, The Blue Militia, Preston Fairmont, Vascavin Medoze, Odette Medici (assuming she can leave her mansion), The Archivist, Ophois, Ethan Khast

The club was packed tonight. The tables that usually sit on the bottom level had been removed from the dance floor and was standing room only. For someone who likes personal space it would be hell. The invitees were given a pass to the second floor balconies, that oversaw the pit of people and the band playing hit American songs. Here there was some room, as the different balconies had been divided up so people would have a little privacy and space.

For those of supernatural side, they were given an upstage pass, which gave them access to a third floor. Significantly smaller than the other 2, it had a one way window looking over the mass of mortals.

After the number ends, Otto walks out onto the stage. "I would like to welcome everyone to this great celebration. We have been through hard times in the past decade, possibly the hardest times any peoples will ever go through, and we have survived. There will be hardships in all our futures, but lets forget all those for tonight and celebrate the bright and glorious future ahead of us!" As those lucky enough to still have a drink toast the band starts back up again and Otto walks off the stage.

To the Howlpack
    Spoiler
    Show

Emeila comes into the Howlpacks balcony. "We hope you are enjoying yourselves. I'm going to be up front with you, we invited you here for more than a good time, we would like to offer you a deal. We would like to have some of your people stationed at the club to act as bouncers, and in return we would help you rebuild your pack. If you need help recruiting or cash we can assist."

To Preston Fairmont
    Spoiler
    Show

Otto enters Preston's balcony. "How are things going? Let me be the first to welcome you to Club Danau, the hottest club in the city. I have to know, how does this place compare to the clubs in America?"

To Novska Police
    Spoiler
    Show

Stephen comes into the Novska Police balcony. "Everyone having a good time up here? I'm Stephen of the Turkey Trot Trio. We're making rounds introducing ourselves and we'd like you to know we support the work you do for our great city.

To Odette Medici
    Spoiler
    Show

Emeila dances over to Odette. "I hope you're having a good time. You seem to know your way around a party, you get out of the mansion often?"

To the GM
    Spoiler
    Show

I know we don't have mid turns, but I'm going to be using 1 Econ to promote and fund the Long Party. The plan is to make it a large and significant party.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Barbarian in the Playground

The Lovelace Foundation

Spoiler: Inventor's Party
    Show
    Eva pipes up from where she's seated midway down the table. "We're already using radio technology extensively in our work-- we'd be happy to provide our expertise. As frivolous as entertainment radio station may seem from an academic perspective, the allure to civilian listeners could enable instantaneous communication of emergency bulletins, which could save countless lives. We may need to have a discussion about programming however. This could be a powerful tool to educate, or in the wrong hands, mislead, the public." Eva gives a meaningful glance to Otto.
    Total War factions
    Spoiler
    Show
    TW: Broken City

Lord Founder needs no pants to face the beasts of the world, to descend into the darkest pits of the Earth and ascend above the divine clouds!
    TW: Cape City

TW: Supers!
    Image to come

TW: Dystopia
    Peoples Syndicalist Federation of China

Buy my music here

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Kasdeveris

PCs

Spoiler: Lovelace foundation and the thinking engine
    Show
    He waves any sort of concern from the doctor with a smile "no worries, just keep voting PVC"

Kasdeveris looks fairly interested in the awe-inspiring machinery occupying half the room (that he could see), and inspects it from one side to the other, staying at a prudent distance of course, until the thinking engine makes its voice heard.

He replies with a nod, presuming that the thinking engine has some way to see it, its expression almost unchanged afterwards even as its strength is praised, gestures and blinking only returning when it replies "they did not miss the mark when naming you, the city is a powder keg, much like europe was..." It lets the parallel rest for a moment, "I came out of curiosity, I've met many scientists who in their time claimed a place in our world, but never an invention, still, the foundation could do many things for me, answer, first of all. Do you seek to stop any sparks or just come out on top when the keg goes off?"

A separate comment was made when hearing the nearby whining, an appreciative eyebrow raised "noisy food?"

Spoiler: The dreaming plague
    Show
    In a brief movement, perhaps one or two seconds too long, any tears are wiped from its face.

Starting with an Archaic salute as a ways of hello, it scarcely spends any time thinking of replies before making them. It did after all not hear the words in real time.

"Mutual survival of both hunter and cattle, that's what senate members would reply with open doors. I'm the only I know for certain does care when doors are closed."

"What I dream? hopefully not you, no offense"
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Ah, yes, trolls, the monsters that are such wusses their primary means of reproduction is being eaten by other creatures.
    Quote Originally Posted by 5ColouredWalker View Post
    With all this talk of half dragon cohorts I may need to scrap riding a actual Dragon given how unoptimized it is.
    hey, order a gig here: https://www.fiverr.com/neriractor

I would really appreciate it.

8. - Top - End - #38

The Lovelace Foundation

A tiny voice pipes up from the radio resting on the table in front of Eva. It is too quiet, to be heard, at first, but she adjusts a knob and the volume grows to fill the room.

"'In any conflict between princes longer than a single encounter, the most certain path to victory is to grow in power faster than the opposition, by consuming more. However, when such a conflict occurs, even un-involved princes have an incentive to consume, to avoid being weaker than the eventual victor or missing out on valuable resources. Humanity is a renewable resource, however the rate of growth increases with the population base. Thus, internal strife reduces not just the mortal population, but also the long-term growth rate of all princes in the area.'"

"'Short term bursts of growth locally result in falling behind in the long term.'"

"'This will have the effect of weakening of the city's protection from external supernatural threats. If the density of princely beings is consistent with the human population density, which appears from current data to be the case, the probability is low that that the most powerful supernatural being on the planet is in this city. in addition, many wild or feral princes are posited to exist outside the bounds of more civilized organization such as exists here. While the former is a more formidable threat, the latter is more likely to expose supernatural activity to the mortal world.
    Caution and cultivation of limited resources is necessary to the mutual survival of all present here.'"

"'The name for that which consumes only to grow without regard for long-term survival is 'Cancer.' Unless treated, it destroys the host, and thus itself.'"

Spoiler: Kasdeveris
    Show

The scientists seem to not even hear Kasdeveris' comment, but the Engine responds without hesitation.
    "'Troublesome hardware. Current electrical components have poor heat dissipation, and are thus prone to failure under extreme stress. Redundancy is critical to continuous operation while failed components are replaced.'"

"'But your question does not have a definitive answer at the current time. No significance is placed on maintaining the status quo as change is inevitable, given the state of princely affairs. Additional information is required to ascertain the optimal course of action at this time.'"

"'If you are asking for a statement of political allegiance beyond statements made during the meeting, you may be disappointed. However, there is one additional situation which must be avoided. These were not mentioned during the meeting due to the temperament of some members involved. This is exposure of the supernatural to the mortal world beyond the city. The rate of technological advancement among mortals is exponential. Mortal weapons are being developed with the capability to destroy entire cities. Perhaps powerful enough to destroy a prince completely, or create one. As this building cannot easily be moved, if mortal forces beyond our control, or in the control of a more powerful prince, were to turn on this city, the result would be centuries or more of torpor.'"
    Last edited by Nyrt; 2019-05-14 at 09:49 AM.
    Total War factions
    Spoiler
    Show

Lord Founder needs no pants to face the beasts of the world, to descend into the darkest pits of the Earth and ascend above the divine clouds!

Image to come

Buy my music here

9. - Top - End - #39
    Colossus in the Playground

Princess Szeretet

The Group of Five

Spoiler
    Show
    "H-hello?"
    Emily Vander's voice is shaky, as she steps down the entrance to the crypts. Her electric flashlight, an expensive and comparably light American model, shakes in her hand. Next to her, Foster frowns as he grips a double-barreled shotgun, currently pointed at the ground. The professor behind them nervously clutches at his small pince-nez glasses, struggling to keep the two heavy books under his other arm, both leather-bound and Latin-titled, balanced. Jameson, the cop, brings up the rear, one hand on his still holstered service revolver.

"Uhm, Princess?", Vander continues. "You, uh, wanted to speak to us?"

The Waxen Archive
    Spoiler
    Show
    In an interesting display, a swarm of bees settles down on a spider web and begins to hum rhythmically, transmitting a message of vibrations.

++++Contact. Handshake Protocol. Greetings++++

++++Re:Historical information. Yes please.++++

++++Re: heat dissipation. Highly requested. Heat-build up class 1 problem. Currently passive exchage, wing-fanning, air-duct convection systems.++++

++++Ewww, spiders. Do we have to talk to her?++++

++++Re: Information request. Please specify++++

The Dreaming Plague
    St. Horace's Veteran Society
    Spoiler
    Show

The general response seems to be mostly apathy, many of these men still seem to broken to seek help on their own. A handful of the more mobile ones respond.

The Undivided
    Spoiler
    Show

He cast himself down into the mud, prostrate at the bomb's feet. Should bombs have feet? It did not seem weird to him.
    He knew the taste of that mud well, had spent too many days face down in it.
    Master, he called the bomb. He had always loved it as much as hated it. Had prayed that one day, it would hit him, like Pierre, and just end it. Now he knew it felt the same for him.
    He listened.

The Blue Militia
    Spoiler
    Show

To whom it may concern.

Yeah, good luck, doc. We look after our own, for care or for punishment and we certainly won't be handing over anyone at all to some medical experimentation.

Or in other words: find another lab rat.

The Novska Police
    Spoiler
    Show

Dear Doctor Tolks,

What an excellent initiative. We are of course greatly in favour of using the methods of modern psychiatric science. Our prisons are currently overflowing with all manner of scum. If you wish to visit the cells and make a selection of suitable individuals, be my guest at any time you wish. I have heard great things.

Yours sincerely,
    Comissioner Franjo
    Resident Vancian Apologist

10. - Top - End - #40

The Archivist

The Caravan
    Spoiler
    Show

The woman sighs, sits down on a chair and motions for the old man to take one too.
    "Frustrating, isn't it? But honestly, these things rarely come clear. If you get a clearly worded prophecy, it's probably a scam. I can't help you much more. THere's something mist-like moving towards the city,

Midnight Sun
    Spoiler
    Show

Some kind of laughter-like sound issues from the shadowy bird.
    "Right up my alley. Fish might be a bit more my thing than meat, but I see what I can find. General spying or any specific information?"

The Waxen Archive
    Spoiler
    Show

++++Not insulation. Insulation not the main problem: heat dissipation. Calculations more efficient with cooling. Secondary: stable temperature++++

++++Today Prime Mininster George spoke before the league of nations on the subject of....++++

++++Correct. Current observational capacity insufficient. Numerical increase second main priority. Preferably scouts covering entire city.
    ++++

++++Long term goals including preservation of the archive past planetary/solar lifespan.++++

The Novska Historical Society
    Spoiler
    Show

Dear Ms. Keay,

It just so happens that I am a bit of a classicist, and I have written a little monograph on the subject of especially the Roman and medieval bathing culture in the area. I have not yet had the time to publish. Please, feel free to have a look and to ask any other questions you might have.

Your Servant,
    Wilhelm Holub, Esq.

(About five hundred typewritten, unbound pages of monograph are attached.)

(To post 32)

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Solis Aeterni

AND YET WHAT HAVE YOU ACCOMPLISHED WITH THAT CONTROL? NOVSKA IS NO GREAT METROPOLIS. IT IS NOTHING BUT A SPECK OF DUST COMPARED TO THE OTHER GREAT CITIES OF THE WORLD. PARIS, LONDON, NEW YORK, THESE PLACES HAVE BECOME THE BEATING HEART OF HISTORY. WHILE NOVSKA ISN'T EVEN A FOOTNOTE. THE BETTER THE CITY DOES, THE MORE PEOPLE WILL COME, AND THE MORE RESOURCES WE WILL ALL HAVE FOR OURSELVES AND OUR SERVANTS.

To Eltest Kha
    Spoiler
    Show
    THE PLAN IS SIMPLE. WE CLAIM CONTROL OVER THE CITY. THEN WE IMPROVE THE HUMANS. WE BURN AWAY THEIR FLAWS, ENHANCE THEIR TALENTS, AND GIVE THEM ABILITIES FAR BEYOND THEIR NORMAL KIN. AND FROM THERE, WE WILL DRIVE THIS CITY INTO A GOLDEN AGE AND MAKE IT THE NEW CENTER OF CULTURE AND WEALTH ON THIS CONTINENT.

The Bone Miller
    Spoiler
    Show
    SPECIFICALLY I AM INTERESTED IN THESE NEW AUTOMOBILES AND AREOPLANES. IF THOSE BECOME WIDE SPREAD THERE IS NO REASON FOR OUR INFLUENCE TO BE LIMITED TO SUCH A TINY PART OF THE WORLD.

The Group of Five
    Spoiler
    Show
    If it pleases you, next Sunday we are having a party, and we have invited other hunters who you may wish to speak to as well.

The International Hunting Society
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    If it pleases you, next Sunday we are having a party, and we have invited other hunters who you may wish to speak to as well.

The Archivist of Novska
    Spoiler
    Show
    He is met by a retired cavalryman. Though his hair has long gone white and his skin is full of wrinkles, he is still as fit as a man in the prime of his life, his eyes have flecks of light dancing in them, and his mustache is simply magnificent.

Well lad, what do you have to say? Ah, but I forget my manners. Come in first, we'll get you settled with a proper breakfast first.

If he accepts the invite he'll find himself served a classic continental breakfast of sausages, bacon, eggs, and toast. Freshly squeezed orange juice, and syrup is made available as well.

The Cloaked Leviathan
    Spoiler
    Show
    That's fair, it truly is. But your master needn't be so shy. If they decide to hunt one of the those who do not acknowledge to the Sun's Majesty, then feel free to ask for our assistance. The Sun would gladly take the chance to obliterate one of those fools.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

12. - Top - End - #42

The Cloaked Leviathan

Baaliaton
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Godking nods, understandingly.
    "Yes, of course. But then, I have been at this for a thousand years. I know that I have many enemies. Friends, too. Answer me this, then: what would your master want, in exchange for help?"

The Tidesingers
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Thank you, oh great serpent, devourer of worlds", speaks the first of the witch.
    "We are not children of the deep, coiled queen, and would not dare to claim to be your children. We are not creatures of land, or sea, though we visit both. We are those who wander in between, in the tide, going back and forth."
    And the third speaks: "But there are many lords of the land, and only one queen of the deeps. Command us, mighty Leviathan, and we will follow."

Godseeker
    Spoiler
    Show
    The old man smiles, as he ignites a gas stove and puts on a kettle before sitting down.
    "A war of the gods is exactly what I seek. It will be glorious to behold beyond imagining. Tooth and claw, iron and blood."
    He leans forward.
    "I should not take sides. It would spoil the balance, as I am merely here to observe. But perhaps a little hint here or there could not hurt, yes. Who were you thinking of?"

The Pipe
    The Industrialist's party
    Spoiler
    Show
    The mayor is younger than many might expect, a tall, fit man in his early fourties, though with greying temples and some worry lines around his eyes.
    "I always support our economy and any inovations of trade, of course. But I am somewhat skeptical at least. Railways into Novska have been tried before, but the mountains are a massive obstacle and we do not have the money to invest in either blasting operations or what would be a gigantic tunnel system. How do you propose to solve this?"

The Inventor's party
    Spoiler
    Show
    There are a few murmurs at the table. The young, very properly dressed woman who has been sent by the rally, smiles knowingly, but says nothing. The middle-aged, bespectacled man opposite her, who is here for the Times, murmurs to himself about "Frivolous" and "will never catch on".
    The gentleman with the expensive suit from the Hunting Society stands up and looks at his drink, swirling it. He is a good foot taller than most other people in the room, with an impressive girth and an even more impressive grey moustache.
    "We too, already used radio. It was too damn useful in the war not to use it, frankly. But entertainment, really? Is that where we should use our energies?"

The Saturday Long Party
    Spoiler
    Show

The Howlpack
    Spoiler
    Show
    The pack's representative is clearly uncomfortable in human shape. Tall and lean, but carrying himself bent forward, with his hands at his knees, constantly blinking, his head darting back and forth at every new noise and sight. He has brought two of the smaller members of his pack, who might just pass as large grey dogs, nervously pacing at his feet.

"Not so good as bouncers. We can guard, but took the entire pack three days to change my shape. You need muscle, we can do muscle. But not human muscle."

Preston Fairmont
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fairmont is drinking something tall and colourful, overlooking the crowd. He is wearing a light linen suit which by itself might qualify as scandalous in some circles, as it is clearly not evening wear. With a smile from underneath his pencil moustache, he extends one hand for a shake.
    "Ah, Otto. Splendid, just splendid. You know, we can barely party normally anymore in America. They did this dreadful thing called prohibition? We have to get our drinks from Canada now and drink them in some sordid back room. And everyone is on cocaine all the time. You are all so much more open and cultured here in Europe. "

The Novska Police
    Spoiler
    Show
    Comissioner Franjo has shown up by himself, with his wife. Both are looking a bit uncomfortable, clearly not entirely used to festivities. Franjo himself is a heavy man, both in fat and in muscle, and somewhat straining against his black suit, his face very red.
    "Ah, good. Very, uhm, nice to know you", he mumbles, while his wife extends a gloved hand to the musician.
    "Very, yes, festive."

Odette Medici
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Lady Medici can be heard from a distance, just by her very noticeable, hearty laughter. She is half-transparent today, in a dark emerald gown, but has nevertheless gathered a small circle of other, living, ladies around her and seems to be telling some anecdote, occasionally interrupted by a sip from her very corporeal drink.
    "And he said, "It is not saturday madam and that is not the Prince!"
    With that, she turns around to leave her hangers-on to giggle at the anecdote.
    "Emeila! What a pleasure. Oh, not nearly enough. What a fine thing you did, inviting an old baggage like me. It's almost charity."
    She winks.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

Ophois

The People's Voice Committee
    Spoiler
    Show

"Yes, we are quite willing to back your campaign if some particulars about the future policies of the city are agreed upon. Aid for the veterans, development of the poorer areas and the like, I am sure we won't have much trouble cooperating there.

As for anything else, well, we'd like information on the other political movements and movers in the race. As you know, work done on the streets is always useful for tipping the scales."

The Bokun Family
    Spoiler
    Show

"Alfred Wiszne, good to meet you." He steps in to shake the hands of the two. "If you're offering, we'll have beer."

After taking some time to exchange greetings and get settled, Alfred directs his men to take seats to the side tables. They'll try to mingle a bit with their counterparts - more boisterous than the Family seems to be, but not overly so.

Alfred himself intends for a conversation with misters Bokun. He begins, smiling: "So. Business."

Saturday Night Long Party
    Spoiler
    Show

"Hear hear. To glorious future."

Ophois flits naturally through the press of the party crowd, just once accidentally bumping into a drunken man, causing him to sway and spill his drink on someone next to him. He's already gone when the two start exchanging angry words. He is dressed cleanly and in fine but inexpensive clothes, a silver raven imposed on the breast of his black shirt. A wolf pin identifies him as a supporter of the Lost.

Entering the second floor, he pauses to look around. "Ah. An eclectic collection of guests indeed."

The Novska Police
    Spoiler
    Show

The first target for his attentions is the representative of the law in the city. He approaches, eyes intent to catch any reaction to the Lost affiliation, before offering to shake hands.
    Last edited by Murska; 2019-05-20 at 07:16 AM.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    Trusting Murska worked out great!
    Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    A Murska without lies is like a day without sunshine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

Princess Szeretet

Spoiler: To the Group of Five
    Show
    The voice that echoes out of the is cheery and bright, "Why you came! I half expected you wouldn't accept my invitation. It's dreadfully dreary in here don't you think. Very unsuitable for a meeting. I'm going to have some lamps lit. But unfortunately I can tell you are already ill at ease, and unfortunately my appearance is unlikely to help. But I feel that I should be upfront about things in order for us to have a good working relationship."

"So try not to be too surprised. Remember that I want to speak to you and we are just going to have lovely conversation."

With that Szeretet has her weavers turn on the gas lights illuminating a nice freshly decorated parlor, with maybe a few more cobwebs that need sweeping. Several weavers light a cheery fire while others bring out refreshments. Nice normal things which hopefully detract from the 12 foot long spider at the side of the room.

She waves one chitinous foreleg, "Hello, please take a seat. We have much to discuss."

Spoiler: To the Waxen Archive
    Show
    Excellent I am glad you are interested. Now as to the information I can give you. I am aware of the specific history of this geographic area going from approximately fifteen hundred to three hundred years ago. As well as more general historic information further back and about the world in general.

Air convection is highly inefficient. What you are going to want are thermal sinks that lead into a liquid cooling system. I suggest water as a start as it is readily available and a tidal pump could provide additional power for the system. I suspect you will likely need to redesign your hive to incorporate liquid cooling so installing some good insulation for your critical areas at the same time would be an additional help. Do you have any diagrams of what you want done?

Now what do I want? Well I want two things right now. I want to know about various means of changing ones method of sustenance. And there is an ancestor of mine who had a life which is quite embarrassing to me now. I would rather like it if information about her could be locked away and not given to anyone else.

15. - Top - End - #45

THE DREAMING PLAGUE

This is not real
    Say it like a mantra

To Kasdeveris, from the Physical Manifestation of a Literally Diseased Mind
    Spoiler
    Show
    MUTUAL SURVIVAL IS GOOD
    SOMEONE MUST BE ALIVE TO DREAM
    SO LONG AS THE DREAMER LIVES
    WE WILL NOT BE AT ODDS
    THIS IS GOOD

SLEEP WELL

This is not real
    Say it in your sleep

To the Undivided, from the Thing that Didn't Kill You
    Spoiler
    Show
    THESE are the rituals that must be performed
    THESE are the people to speak to
    THIS is the vaccine for the human condition
    THIS is the world to come

(Essentially I'm trying to get the Undivided to help with rituals for my Sinister Secret Agenda stuff)

This is not real
    Say it and believe it

To the Blue Militia, from the Institute
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir,

I am sorry to hear that. Our experimentation is already done; now, we only wish to help.

Do let us know if you reconsider.

Yours,
    Doctor Tolks

This is not real
    Except when it is

To the Novska Police, from the Institute
    Spoiler
    Show
    Comissioner Franjo,

I am sincerely delighted to hear that, sir. I will endeavor to lighten the load being born by our prison system posthaste.

Yours,
    Doctor Tolks

This is not real
    Because it doesn't hurt
    Total War
    Spoiler
    Show

Current Games

Past Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ran: Boundless Isles
    IC
    OOC

Sixth Nexus: THE VIGIL

Total War: Cape City
    Spoiler
    Show

LOCKWOOD-COBAN AUGMENTED INDUSTRIES

Total War: Serillia
    Spoiler
    Show

The Crimson

Ran: Broken City
    First IC Thread
    First OOC Thread

16. - Top - End - #46

The Election
    Baaliaton smiles again, as the Sun speaks.
    "Mortal cities, serving mortal empires. What care we for histories, written by lesser beings? In this room, there is enough power to have every citizen of Paris cut their own throat, to erase the British Empire from history, to render New York to dust. What use to us, their culture, architecture, their wars? They are ashes and grains of sand."

Solis Aeterni
    The Bone Miller
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Yes, I see what you mean. I have invested in ships before. Ships of the Line and Ocean Liners. But combustion is ever so intriguing, I agree. Though I'm not yet convinced that powered flight will ever take off, if you excuse the bad joke."

Ophois
    The Bokun Family
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Of course, of course, you are guests". The boss waves a hand and mugs of beer are hastily carried to the table.
    There is some general mingling around the games at the periphery of the room, while the bosses pull out chairs and sit down. The smiles are just ever so slightly cold around the edges.
    "Business, indeed. I was hoping for you to take the lead on this, though I can guess what you are offering. Well, I can just state it then. We need muscle, and we need the Italians out. Them, and all the rest who came in here after the war. The question is what you want for that."

The Saturday Night Long Party
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ophois and the Police
    Spoiler
    Show
    Comissioner Franjo has shown up by himself, with his wife. Both are looking a bit uncomfortable, clearly not entirely used to festivities. Franjo himself is a heavy man, both in fat and in muscle, and somewhat straining against his black suit, his face very red. He seems a bit lost when approached, clearly unfamiliar with a lot of the players in the room, but at least he know how to give a firm handshake.
    "And how can I help you, Mister?"

Princess Szeretet
    The Group of FIve
    Spoiler
    Show
    Foster curses up a veritable storm, and for a second, the shotgun is very firmly aimed at hte princess, before he lowers it. The professor just gapes, silently, dropping his heavy books. Jameson just squints for a few seconds, then lowers his hand from his gunbelt.
    Vanders has the quickest reaction. She smiles, brightly, after just a flicker of shock, and walks up to a chair.
    "Well. The rumours do not do you justice, Princess. How lovely to meet you."

The Waxen Archive
    Spoiler
    Show
    ++++Water: difficult substance to work with. Outside usual experience++++

++++Geographical information useful, but primary focus history. Will prepare questionaire regarding gaps in official historical records of are.++++

++++Requires metallic technology: smelting, construction, outside help.++++

++++THank you for your cooperation++++

++++Please specify ancestor for record?++++

++++Wish to acquire blueprints cooling system, installation, engineers required. Contacts possible?++++

++++Destruction of information difficult, but sensitive information can be moved to more secure locations of archives. Not provided for general access++++

++++Changing nature of sustenance: outmost rarity. Usually coupled to utter essential nature. Requirements: ritual, classification Da'at, secondary Jesod. Estimated magnitute: Primordial. Secondarily: personal growth/personality change over centuries. Slow. Ritual specifications can be provided, however, involving considerable uncertainty.++++

The Dreaming Plague
    The Undivided
    Spoiler
    Show
    A tuning fork is struck against a broken mind. It does not hum, it screams with interference. Ethereal waves propagate, to break onto minds that stand jagged in the mindscape like coral reefs. ASSENT ASSENT ASSENT, they chant on the rising peak of every wave, before it breaks on the shallow sandy shores of morning and wakefulness returns.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

The Bokun Family
    Spoiler
    Show

"Well, straightforward is good. We've got the muscle you need, but we're a political party. What we need is funds and information on who and how to spend those funds on to make sure we've got the necessary friends in high places. You've been operating in this city long enough, I'm sure you know of some skeletons in some closets, or who's willing to accept donations in exchange for favours."
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    Trusting Murska worked out great!
    Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    A Murska without lies is like a day without sunshine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

The Old Flesh

Spoiler: Kasdeveris
    Show

What are your economic goals and plans with the money if you were in charge of collecting it?

Spoiler: the Archivist
    Show

Ah, what are you researching, that you need our help with? People don't come to us for research often. Gourmet Radson says smiling to the man.

Spoiler: The Lions
    Show

Hello, pleasure to meet you in person Mr. Petrovic. Why don't we sit down together and you order something to eat while I look over this, on me of course.
    Gourmet Radson says smiling. He gestures to a completely normal table covered in a carcass of some unidentifiable animals and moves to it.

Spoiler: Baatalion
    Show

Assuming you get reelected, we will most likely talk to you more as the election draws closer. We have an idea that would be very profitable for you and beneficial for us if it works out and is to your liking.

Spoiler: Giant in the Playground Hearthstone Champion
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Solis Aeterni

The Election

DON'T BE STUPID! MORTALS ARE THE COIN THAT EMPOWERS US EVEN FURTHER! THROUGH THEIR MINDS, THEIR BODIES, AND THEIR SOULS IS OUR GROWTH FUELED! ANY PRINCE SEEKING TO BETTER THEMSELVES REQUIRES A STRONG FOUNDATION OF MORTAL SERVANTS! OR PERHAPS STAGNATION IS YOUR INTENT! IT HAS, AFTER ALL, KEPT YOU AS QUAESTOR FOR THESE LAST FEW CENTURIES!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Orc in the Playground

The Archivist of Novska

Spoiler: The Long Party
    Show

The Archivist did not so much arrive as appear, showing up at the entrance to receive her pass and then walking from the front doors to the third floor without a single step in between. Dressed in a simple, if heavy, black-green coat with a blue iris carefully pinned to her breast, she immediately busied herself staring down at the guests on the main floor and taking notes.

At the toast, she grabbed whatever glass was within arms reach and raised it To all the exciting history to come.

Spoiler: Vascavin Medoze
    Show

After several minutes more or less openly observing him, at length the Archivist approached the vampire. "Shouldn't you be down on the dance floor charming some bright young thing? Or do you prefer a more physical sort of hunt?" Smiling widely as she sipped her drink, she continued "I joke, but you really do have my curiosity. It's an open question how your clade innovates enough to survive the next decades, and you're as plausible an option as any.

(PCs)

Show

The American woman is happy to accept, given a morning spent hiking to arrive at that early hour. "You've much better hosts then the sea-monster, I'll give you that. So thank you for the hospitality, officially."

Finishing the meal with admirable gusto, she took a drink of the orange juice and cleared her throat "I'll try not to waste your time as thanks for that. My patron has me running all over speaking to representatives of the-no offense-utterly terrifying, city-leveling god-monsters lurking outside the city. Well, I suppose the Sun doesn't exactly lurk, but I hope you get my point?

My patron wants to know just what you have in mind for the city, mostly, and whether there's a place she and us can fit in it. Somewhere besides a pyre, preferably.

Spoiler: The Old Flesh
    Show

The young man gave a short bow and a flourish before answering the gourmand. The question is a simple one, though its answer may be nuanced, incomprehensible of blasphemous. It is merely a matter of some philosophical debate whether your workings most acutely effect the meat in and of itself or the sense-data the your customers receive consuming it. It would, likewise, be advantageous to our understanding of reality if we were able to acquire a fruit of your industries and perform some small divinations upon it.

(NPCs)

Spoiler: The Waxen Archive
    Show

The Archivist to pace through the park in the chill morning air, by all appearances talking to herself. Occasionally losing track of things as she talked and thought, jumping several feet forward or seeming to take several paces down one fork of the crossroad before passing under a tree and revealing herself to have taken the other.

Clearly enjoying this, she answered the last comment first with a gleam in her eye If we are collaborates, then then the death of the Sun is a solved problem. Our work will be read by inconceivable things under an alien sun, and so we'll be among them.

Shifting to more practical matters, she continued her stream of consciousness "Cooler, but stable? Easier, but more tiresome. Simple enough to twist the dials for any given thing and keep them stable, but a working on each one of you would consume more of my attention then I'd care to spend. Something broader, though-are there any other bees in the city? Not sure it wouldn't hit them too. Not that being a better computer would do much for them, I suppose. Will need some energy though, and reenactment...What internal temperature are you aiming for? And would you be terribly offended if I used up a few vagrants around here for raw materials?

Oh, that's if we are working together. Division of labor and sharing of information, anyway?

Spoiler: Midnight Sun
    Show

The Archivist paused for a moment, then nodded-which ended up looking rather more like her becoming deathly still for several long seconds, then her head flickering from one position to gathering and back. I won't complain if you find the needle its soul is hidden in, but no, no precise questions to ask just yet. So we'll trust your expertise to focus on the pertinent. Recent history and current plans.

Spoiler: The Caravan
    Show

Becker paused for a long moment at that, relaxing visibly to the point where it seemed like the ancient academic might entirely collapse. No, that answers my concerns quite well, thank you. There were two possibilities I could determine for the subject of the prophecy, and you've just tilted the balance. Is it something hidden within the mist, or the mist itself?

Taking a moment to sink thankfully back into the offered chair, he nodded in gratitude and he set his ornate cane across his knees. Then he continued If it's not prying, are these divination going to be a regular fixture of the coming months? Several of my colleges and I, at least, would appreciate if they were.

Spoiler: Novska Historical Society
    Show

To the esteemed Wilhelm Holub, esq,

Salutations and Best Regards,

The manuscript we received was an entirely unexpected and much appreciated generosity. Should you ever choose to publish or give organized lectures on the subject it would be a wonderful day. In particular, the connections you draw between the shifting popularity of the baths and the decline of Latin as a vernacular are intriguing.

Writing now on behalf of some of our more esoterically minded members, and with apologies for the tawdry subject, but has your enviable life of scholarship led you to knowledge of any local myth-cycles centered around the baths or the mountains beneath them? To quote verbatim, the interest was in 'cthonic gods, underworld spirits, grave rights, or superstitions of that variety"

With Fond Regards,
    Ms. Elsa Keay, on behalf of the Illuminated Orient of Novska
    Last edited by St.Just; 2019-05-29 at 08:30 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

Old Flesh

Spoiler: The Archivist
    Show

Ah, the answer is simple enough. It is good cooking northern cooking that makes it delicious. Special high quality ingredients, our patented blend of secret spices and just a pinch of magic all come together in our scrumptious food.
    Gourmet Radson answers. He looks around before selecting what appears to be a deformed and severely beaten pig. It squirms and oinks despite the massive hook piercing it and various pieces of meat cut out of it.

Of course, you can buy a sample. Usually people just CONSUME it but you can do what ever you like to the meat. Just make sure not to wait too long. The usual price is what ever is in your wallet but have this one on me. Radson says as he takes a butcher's knife out and cuts a good slice off of it.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Feel free to ask about the various things you are doing to the flesh. Not quite sure what you would do.

Last edited by Hamste; 2019-05-29 at 10:35 PM.

Spoiler: Giant in the Playground Hearthstone Champion
    Show

22. - Top - End - #52

The Lovelace Foundation

Show
    "Excellent! Feel free to visit our headquarters any time during regular business hours. Anything you require to take notes or measurements would be useful, and possibly a primer on fundamental magical theory would be useful. We've had to derive most of our theory from first principles, which I'm sure you can imagine is frustrating in absence of any reference literature on the subject."

Becker arrives at the foundation headquarters (at his convenience), a roughly five-story-tall building of concrete, with narrow vertical windows and looming bulk above the first floor in a brutalist style. Entering the building, he is greeted by a receptionist behind a mirrored desk, who passes him a badge on a lanyard with a large red V emblazoned on it and the words "Visitor: Escort Required."

After a short wait, a man in a labcoat emerges from the elevator at the back of the lobby and gestures for Becker to join him.
    "Mr. Becker? Or was Becker your first name? Apologies, I have only a second-hand account of the meeting. I'm Dr. Kovac. It's a pleasure to meet you."

The low hum that was barely audible from the lobby seems to permeate the building, growing louder as the elevator ascends to a lab on the third floor. The door on the opposite side of the elevator opens, revealing a large open space full of a number of electrical and mechanical devices in various form factors. Metal shelving units are scattered around the room on small wheels, covered with drawers containing a baffling variety of components. Several other individuals in labcoats or simple work clothes turn from their work as the pair enter.

One nearby apparatus appears to consist of a metal pendulum on a long string which swings just above the wick of a candle, alternatively igniting and extinguishing it as it passes. Another seems to have a series of oddly-shaped gears, one of which has a hole through which a piece of white chalk has been inserted.

"This is our mechathaumic prototyping lab, where we do most of our work on this topic. Most interesting to us currently is the application of intent, which I'm sure you're familiar with. While magic appears to operate based on simple physical interactions causing spontaneous external effects, absent the intent of a conscious mind, most magic fails." Dr. Kovac chuckles to himself. "You would be surprised how difficult it is to conduct an experiment to demonstrate this."

"A rather entertaining example, we constructed a simple rube goldberg machine to see just how far the chain of causality is searched to find intent. A marble rolling down a slope triggers the physical execution of a simple spell. If a person pushes the marble down the slope deliberately, the spell executes successfully, but if the table is bumped accidentally, causing the same physical process, the spell fails. We had to set up the experiment in an inconvenient spot and observe it until this occurred to verify this-- it was a strange endeavor, to say the least."

Total War factions
    Spoiler
    Show

Image to come

Buy my music here

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Solis Aeterni

Spoiler: To the Archivist
    Show

The man stroked his mustache, before laughing. Why, isn't it obvious? Someone must record the history of our glorious achievements and who better than the Archivist? We will respect the Archivist's neutrality.

As for The Sun's plans for the city, well he has been quite clear in the election has he not? He wishes to turn the city into the next Paris, London, or New York. A beating heart of culture, progress, and humanity, that will shine brightly and glorify us all.

The cavalryman pauses, before getting serious. Of course if the Archivist or her servants ever found themselves opposing the Sun, then no mercy would be given. Similarly if the Archivist decides to aid us in our endeavor, she will find the Sun's fury turning against any who would strike at her.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: The Group of Five
    Show
    Prince Szeretet claps her pedipalps together. "Oh excellent. I was very afraid of how you would react. It took ever so long to recruit my first Weavers."

She shifts closer and waves one of her legs at the chairs. "Please do have a seat. And Foster just so you know your shotgun would do nothing to me. That's one of the things we have to discuss. I was amazed that you managed to curtail the activities of Fasgu’ig’g with your mortal abilities. Tell me did encounter any of Fasgu’ig’g's avatars or did the cultists not get that far yet?"

She settles her bulk and taps a claw on the stone floor. "Well first of all there is an important matter we should discuss. You see my peers and I are part of what we like to call the Hidden Community. And it's called that for a reason. We do like to keep mortals in the dark about our affairs. It's not exactly forbidden for me to tell you these things, but I believe my peers would not appreciate it."

"And the easiest way for them to show their displeasure would be to eliminate you. Maybe send your bodies to me as a sign."

"So how keen are you all on pursuing these matters? You could all go back to your regular lives with no fuss. We're all fairly impressed that you dealt with Fasgu’ig’g before he caused any trouble. So I don't think any harm would come to you, but I do suggest you leave the city. You won't be personally targeted, but there's going to be a bit of a power struggle soon and I don't think it will go well for the mortals here."

"On the other hand if you want to keep investigating then you'll come to the attention of my peers eventually. Since it's almost certain that you'll object to some of their activities. And better to make an alliance with one of us first so you have some supernatural backing. Now I'd prefer you work with me of course, but I'll leave it up to you. I know humans make such a fuss about free will."

Spoiler: To the Waxen Archive
    Show
    We could try a honey based cooling system, but I am unfamiliar with its material characteristics. I suspect that the viscosity would hamper its efficiency as a fluid medium.

I'm afraid I'm unfamiliar with metallurgy. I understand the basic theory, but my point of expertise is chemical manipulation of organic compounds.

Do you wish to be put into contact with other engineers? I don't know many others with the same level of expertise as me. I had intended to develop your cooling blueprints myself as I don't have anything quite suitable on pedipalp.

The ancestor I am interested in was called Éhség. She was a rather violent individual who did some rather barbaric things. I'm afraid that people might get the wrong impression about my people if they find out about her now.

That is interesting to know about the sustenance rituals, although not surprising. I feared it would be a complicated process.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Orc in the Playground

Show
    A telegram is sent in response. A perfect machine connecting humanity through technology as its meant to be.

Code:
    We are willing to share the public documents we use to recruit those broken and want to be made whole once more. 
    Anything more meaningful, including allowing one of your comrades to see even a little of our internal mechanisms will require some form of payment or exchange.
    We are capitalist monsters after all.

Show
    Code:
    Do not rock boats that will overturn anyway.

Spoiler: The Lovelace Foundation
    Show
    Code:
    We would begin by offering a fair exchange of ideological buffers. Perhaps the technologies we discern we agree to provide to one another in equal measure. 
    As a show of good faith we want your organization to know that we will be focusing much of our efforts on clockwork explosives. 
    we hope this proves our honest desire to work alongside you and hope your own endeavours are worthy of our ears.

Spoiler: Emilia
    Show
    We accept

Spoiler: The Bone Miller
    Show

Code:
    I was wondering if you would be interested in aiding me in forming a powerful and aggressive union within Damjanac Heavy Industries. 
    I know its risky for us industrials to rally the workers but if we can control such power we can wield it. 
    We both know Damjanac Heavy Industries is unworthy of its high stations if there is something you want from the corpse I intend to claim I would be happy to deliver it to you.

Spoiler: The Wednesday Night Industrialists Party
    Show
    Arriving was the most human of the dollmakers, the only clockwork bodyparts were hidden under clothes and his gears made only the slightest of noises. The rather rotund gentleman wore a very impressive suit and wore a large hat upon his head which seemed incapable of moving despite him moving to sit. A rather odd gentleman but he was happy to speak with any who approach him.

"We are on board any move to bring the railway into our city, while there will always be risks to inviting the outside world into our little corner of the world its more important to invite change, and growth for our grand city harumph."

When the mountains are mentioned the eyes of the dollmakers minion speaks up. "Perhaps some investments into Damjanac Heavy Industries focus them on drilling, and we see if we can't figure out a means to better produce a means of tunneling technology. Hand drills are a thing of the past and we can begin to lay the infastructure."
    Amazing avatar by Gengy

Empire 4- Vampiric Republic turned Vampiric Oligarchy
    Empire 5- Psychic Daddy

26. - Top - End - #56

The Lovelace Foundation

Spoiler: Dollmaker
    Show
    A return telegram arrives quickly.
    Code:
    The need for explosives is not anticipated, given knowledge of the current state of affairs, however many variables remain yet un-observed. It is wise to be prepared for such a situation where such tools may be necessary, and your transparency in this matter is appreciated. To acknowledge the establishment of a mutually beneficial relationship, reciprocation is warranted; the Foundation, uncomfortable in the spotlight which has been shown upon them in their unexpected entrance into the supernatural community, seeks to improve the security of their investments and facilities. In addition, in order to improve the predictive capabilities available, further data is required on practice of magic and its potential applications to high-power computing.
    You have been a member of the senate for some time and have had opportunity to observe and analyze the world state. Given your interest in explosives, you are aware that the status-quo in the city has become unstable? Would you recommend an investment in physical security?
    Total War factions
    Spoiler
    Show

Image to come

Buy my music here

27. - Top - End - #57
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nyrt View Post
    The Lovelace Foundation

Spoiler: Dollmaker
    Show
    A return telegram arrives quickly.
    Code:
    The need for explosives is not anticipated, given knowledge of the current state of affairs, however many variables remain yet un-observed. It is wise to be prepared for such a situation where such tools may be necessary, and your transparency in this matter is appreciated. To acknowledge the establishment of a mutually beneficial relationship, reciprocation is warranted; the Foundation, uncomfortable in the spotlight which has been shown upon them in their unexpected entrance into the supernatural community, seeks to improve the security of their investments and facilities. In addition, in order to improve the predictive capabilities available, further data is required on practice of magic and its potential applications to high-power computing.
    You have been a member of the senate for some time and have had opportunity to observe and analyze the world state. Given your interest in explosives, you are aware that the status-quo in the city has become unstable? Would you recommend an investment in physical security?
    Dollmakers

Show

Code:
    We feel that even if the citys underground political structure remains stable. Which seems unlikely.
    Socialist and Communist ideology could easily bring destabilizing factors to the city. 
    The rise of nationalism in various parts of Europe also set off alarms for those who specialize amongst our number 
    who are practiced with pattern recognition and threat assessment.
    We hope you don't ignore such threats but we will support you as long as we can with whatever direction you go.
    Amazing avatar by Gengy

Empire 4- Vampiric Republic turned Vampiric Oligarchy
    Empire 5- Psychic Daddy

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Velibor

Show

The room she had been told Velibor would meet her was empty, at first. Soon a shadow in one of the corners kept becoming darker and darker, and somehow sharper. And there it was, the shade visible to anyone who'd pay close attention to the shadow due to the slow movement as it breathed, drew energy from around it or whatever it was a shade like Velibor did.

"The world of politics may indeed be new to me, but I learn fast. And what are you then? Truly a machine, or a spirit possessing one? Is there more in common between us than just our recent ascension to sapience?"

Show
    "Is there something specific you're after? Unfortunately I just saw your message, and as such we can not work together this month, but in the next I would have some ideas of my own we could work on. I will let you know of some details as soon as possible."
    Quote Originally Posted by bigstipidfighte View Post
    Pahvi, if this is serious, you are a god among men.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Kasdeveris/PVC

PCs

Show
    "Your rethoric is convincing Sun. Care to trade votes? With you as Quaestor and me as Praetor we can make this city the prosperous home that we deserve." -Kasdeveris

Show
    Kaseveris nods at the explanation, seemingly interested in the workings of the prince.

"I figured as much, couldn't really expect a thinking engine to jump wildly with nothing but assumptions. Wise as well, change is inevitable..."

"Not disapppointed in the least, politics are not why I'm here, or at least not directly."

For a moment it hesitates, and the host body shakes as blood pours from a hundred newly opened bullet holes upon the youngster host's frame, the blood dripping back in a race against sealing wounds "I know the dangers of indiscretion better than most. Allow me to make a statement filling the vacuum left by yours. The ruse must be kept, and for that purpose you can expect my help."

when talks are over Kasdeveris makes a slight nod goodbye, in recognizion of the engine's princedom, and Milos leaves the building with a suit far cleaner than the one he arrived which.

*not forcibly cutting the conversation off, if you have anything to add go ahead and I'll reply.

Spoiler: The lost (Ophois)
    Show
    "Splendid, I'm sure we will.

of course, our data is currently... less than stelar, with most of our personnel being devoted to administration over poll-taking, still, we expect an influx next month that should help us fill that gap"

OOC: pretty sure Eldan didn't answer my question on parties within the city and how the city administration works, I'll have to check and re-send.

Spoiler: The dreaming plague
    Show
    "It is, it seems you and the thinking engine may get along as well. Thanks for the wishes" said Kasdeveris behind a sharp-toothed smile.

Milos wouldn't sleep well.

Spoiler: The old flesh
    Show
    "Investing them back into the city of course, I won't lie by saying I won't benefit as well, but I intend to see progress and stability for our food source and us in turn. But I don't intend to run anymore, at least not for Quaestor..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Ah, yes, trolls, the monsters that are such wusses their primary means of reproduction is being eaten by other creatures.
    Quote Originally Posted by 5ColouredWalker View Post
    With all this talk of half dragon cohorts I may need to scrap riding a actual Dragon given how unoptimized it is.
    hey, order a gig here: https://www.fiverr.com/neriractor

I would really appreciate it.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Orc in the Playground

The Archivist of Novska

Spoiler: The Old Flesh
    Show

Nathaniel gave a nod of thanks deep enough to turn into a small bow as he accepted the cut. Your service to the cause of knowledge is truly appreciated, and will be recorded for posterity.

Putting the cut in a bag with only a flicker of distaste at what was leaking out of it, he continued As well, 'northern cooking' recalls certain implications that you may have at hand the answers to certain vexing questions on the emergence of ancient Rus, should you ever consent to an interview on the subject. But in more contemporary matters, your business has proven both popular and profitable. It is a matter of some debate just what its plans and purpose are, and how congenial they may prove to the interests of certain other occulted principalities. Might you be able to set such worries to rest?

On its return to the Lamplighters stronghold, the meat is separated into several pieces. After a dozen or so students are recruited for the experiment they are, variously, given to them on a plate, fed to them in a totally dark environment of sensory deprivation, shown a slice in an air-tight container through a thick window and offered some, and in one case fed a tiny slice mixed into an otherwise mundane stew. After a few hours, and then a few days, blood and saliva samples are taken form the students.

More arcanely, the meat is checked for extra dimensional mass or geometry, the presence of nesting or possessing spirits, strange alchemical compounds, offered to animals, and a bit of it is just left somewhere dark and warm to see what grows on it.

Show

The decrepit old man arrived at the building shortly after noon on a sunny weekday, leaning on his ornate cane as he awaited his escort. "Albrecht is my given name, and no need to apologize.

Following Kovacs into the elevator, he doesn't bother trying to hide his glee at the site awaiting him on the other side. Taking a moment to compose himself and answer as he surveyed the various technological instruments It's an interesting problem, and the simplest counter-argument against naive materialism. A colleague of mine takes it as evidence in favor of the animist view. But to me, it's simply an argument in favor of some sort of spirit or vital essence within advanced intelligence.

Walking forward to examine the mechanism, he continued "How did the experiment turn out, by the way?"

Show

Tester took all of that in with an attentive expression and a smile. "Neutrality suits us just fine, for the moment. 'long as you don't try to burn down the whole city, my patron's happy recording your adventures as they unfold. I certainly wouldn't mind being somewhere closer to Paris than here. Well, minus the German artillery every decade or three."

Shrugging, she continued That said, information is something we'd be happy to deal in, if there's things you know, or need to.And speaking of, do you have a holy book or anything you throw at potential converts? We'd love to have a copy on file."

Spoiler: The Dollmaker
    Show

The reply, delivered by courier more promptly then should really have been possible.

Salutations,

Our fraternity would be overjoyed to accept such materials as you distribute to the public, and grateful for it. As to payment-the phrasing does leave one rather concerned what your supplicants can afford equal to making a broken man whole. That being said, the exchange of information is the lifeblood of any civilized society-we would be quite willing to trade like for like, if there is a subject of particular interest to you?

All the Best,
    Ms. Elsa Keay, in service to the Illuminated Orient of Novska