New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 61 FirstFirst ... 621222324252627282930313233343536373839404156 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #35: 3/2 Score And Four Threads Ago

Q 431:

If neutralize poison is cast on a character with multiple poisons in their system, does it cure all of them or just one? If its the latter, what about multiple doses of the same poison?
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

2. - Top - End - #902
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post
    Q 431:

If neutralize poison is cast on a character with multiple poisons in their system, does it cure all of them or just one? If its the latter, what about multiple doses of the same poison?
    A 431:

Given that the target of the spell is "one creature" and the following paragraph:

Quote Originally Posted by Neutralize Poison
    The creature is immune to any poison it is exposed to during the duration of the spell. Unlike with delay poison, such effects aren’t postponed until after the duration —the creature need not make any saves against poison effects applied to it during the length of the spell.
    The creature being immune to any poison to which it's exposed suggests that all poisons are negated, not just one. Though the paragraph before discusses "the poison," it is clear from the second that the immunity is comprehensive, and there's no reason to assume the cure is not. At no point does the spell specify that you must choose one poison.

Heck, the opening statement is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Neutralize Poison
    You detoxify any sort of venom in the creature or object touched.
    "Any sort" is pretty clear. If there's poison, it's neutralized.
    Last edited by Segev; 2020-01-17 at 04:09 PM.

3. - Top - End - #903

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    A 431:

Given that the target of the spell is "one creature" and the following paragraph:

The creature being immune to any poison to which it's exposed suggests that all poisons are negated, not just one. Though the paragraph before discusses "the poison," it is clear from the second that the immunity is comprehensive, and there's no reason to assume the cure is not. At no point does the spell specify that you must choose one poison.

Heck, the opening statement is:

"Any sort" is pretty clear. If there's poison, it's neutralized.
    That is my reading as well. My DM reads “the poison” as singular and “any sort” meaning any one poison rather than “every sort”.
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

4. - Top - End - #904
    Colossus in the Playground

That is my reading as well. My DM reads “the poison” as singular and “any sort” meaning any one poison rather than “every sort”.
    Further discussion probably warrants its own thread.

5. - Top - End - #905
    Bugbear in the Playground

Your DM is incorrect. The word "sort" in common parlance is by definition "a group set up on the basis of any characteristic in common." In the context of that spell, this group is poison, which is a class of special attacks in D&D 3.5 that inflict damage to a creature. If your DM were correct, the spell would so instruct you, as Segev noted, to select which poison that you are affecting when you cast it.

Q432

This occurred to me when I was double-checking the Bull Rush rules for another thread.
    The Knockback feat in Races of Stone allows you to make a free bull rush attempt when you hit with any attack that you use the Power Attack feat. It states that you do not provoke attacks of opportunity as normal and if you wish you do not have to move with your opponent. But other than that is seems to follow all the normal rules for bull rushing, which makes me wonder the following:

1. Do you still have to enter your opponents space? Step 1 of initiating a bull rush attempt is to enter your opponents space, which would occur after the succesful attack.
    2. The movement restriction still seems to be in place. So if you have 30 feet of movement and charge 60 feet to reach your opponent, then would you not be able to move them at all on account of being out of movement for the round, even if you could easily win the check?

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Doctor Awkward; 2020-01-18 at 04:53 PM.
    Resident Mad Scientist...

"It's so cool!"

Spoiler: Contests
    Show
    VC I: Lord Commander Conrad Vayne, 1st place
    VC II: Lorna, the Mother's Wrath, 5th place
    VC XV: Tosk, Kursak the Marauder, Vierna Zalyl; 1st place, 6th/7th place
    Kitchen Crashers Protocol for Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    But that's one of the things about interpreting RAW—when you pick a reading that goes against RAI, it often has a ripple effect that results in dysfunctions in other places.

6. - Top - End - #906
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

A432

For the first point, it's arguable that the feat description indicates that you don't close, just hit them, but the rules seem pretty clear that moving into the space is how you initiate the bull rush manueuver, and nothing in the feat negates that.

The second point is much simpler. Since the feat simply states you don't move with the opponent, and the bull rush rules state that you can't exceed your movement pushing them, it is fairly clear that you can in fact push them even without movement for the space you knock them back (though you may need at least the 5 feet of movement left to move into their space, to even try to make the check)
    All advice given with the caveat that you know your group better than I do. If that wasn't true, you'd be getting advice face-to-face. So I generalize.

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    are you asking us to do research into a setting you wrote yourself?

7. - Top - End - #907
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 433

Is it true that "change all current and future HD to d12" applies to all undead across the board? If so, where is this spelled out?
    Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    Ugh. For the record, I hate you. I hate you very much.
    The Voidstone Arsenal

The Redeemery

Feat-buying resource

Magical Plants and Where to Find Them

Floating Disk Utility

Taking 10 resource

8. - Top - End - #908
    Titan in the Playground

Exclamation Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #35: 3/2 Score And Four Threads Ago

Quote Originally Posted by Jowgen View Post
    Q 433

Is it true that "change all current and future HD to d12" applies to all undead across the board? If so, where is this spelled out?
    A 433

It applies to Undead RHD, and to Undead templates that spell out a change of HD type, such as Vampire.

It is possible for Undead to have class level HD that are not d12. For instance, a Mummy Cleric 10 would have 8d12 plus 10d8 HD,

Short answer: HD type only change as/if specified by the creature/template.

9. - Top - End - #909
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #35: 3/2 Score And Four Threads Ago

Q 434

Is the spell Nightmare Lullaby considered a "magic sleep effect" for Elf immunity?

10. - Top - End - #910
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Q 434

Is the spell Nightmare Lullaby considered a "magic sleep effect" for Elf immunity?
    A 434

Yes. Elves are immune to sleep, especially magic sleep effects.

11. - Top - End - #911

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    A 434

Yes. Elves are immune to sleep, especially magic sleep effects.
    No. Nightmare Lullaby is not a sleep effect. It causes confusion. Elves do, however, get a +2 racial bonus to their save because it is an Enchantment spell.
    Resident Mad Scientist...

"It's so cool!"

Spoiler: Contests
    Show
    VC I: Lord Commander Conrad Vayne, 1st place
    VC II: Lorna, the Mother's Wrath, 5th place
    VC XV: Tosk, Kursak the Marauder, Vierna Zalyl; 1st place, 6th/7th place
    Kitchen Crashers Protocol for Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    But that's one of the things about interpreting RAW—when you pick a reading that goes against RAI, it often has a ripple effect that results in dysfunctions in other places.

12. - Top - End - #912
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Awkward View Post
    No. Nightmare Lullaby is not a sleep effect. It causes confusion. Elves do, however, get a +2 racial bonus to their save because it is an Enchantment spell.
    Really? I didn't know that.

13. - Top - End - #913
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Awkward View Post
    Strong disagree. My version of SpC reads: Your music calms your foe, sending it to sleep while it remains upright.

You can argue that this is only "flavor text" but that's a MtG rule, not a D&D rule. I say text written in a rulebook is rules text, making elves immune.

I do not think further discussion is necessary. The "flavor text" discussion has been had in the past and in the end it's up to each DM to rule whether or not to consider them RAW

Q 435

How loud do you have to say a command word to activate an item? I know that you need "a strong voice" for verbal spell components, but is there any rule for items?
    Last edited by heavyfuel; 2020-01-20 at 10:38 PM.

14. - Top - End - #914
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    Strong disagree. My version of SpC reads: Your music calms your foe, sending it to sleep while it remains upright.

You can argue that this is only "flavor text" but that's a MtG rule, not a D&D rule. I say text written in a rulebook is rules text, making elves immune.

I do not think further discussion is necessary. The "flavor text" discussion has been had in the past and in the end it's up to each DM to rule whether or not to consider them RAW
    Actually, there is a distinction between rules text and flavor text in D&D. The Spell compendium even reiterates it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spell Compendium, page 3, under "Using This Book"
    Descriptive Passages: The first thing you’re likely to note is a descriptive passage in italics. This serves much the same purpose as the italicized descriptions of monsters in the Monster Manual: It lets you know what the spell looks like, sounds like, or feels like to cast. The text in this section presents the spell from the spellcaster’s view and describes what its typically like to cast the spell. The descriptive passages shouldn’t be considered to be binding rules. A grand gesture indicated by a spell’s descriptive passage is unnecessary if you use the Still Spell feat to cast it, and even though a descriptive passage describes you casting a spell on another creature, it might be possible to cast the spell on yourself, depending on the spell’s target entry and the rules for spellcasting in the Player’s Handbook.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

15. - Top - End - #915
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Q436: a) what spells/effects are available to increase the size of an ally (so, range of personal won't work) by more than one size category? (besides polymorphing into something completely different, of course)

b) what spells/effects are available to increase the size of a dragon that's currently middle sized?
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

16. - Top - End - #916
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by King of Nowhere View Post
    Q436: a) what spells/effects are available to increase the size of an ally (so, range of personal won't work) by more than one size category? (besides polymorphing into something completely different, of course)

b) what spells/effects are available to increase the size of a dragon that's currently middle sized?
    These are not RAW questions. Start your own thread to ask for help
    Last edited by Nezkrul; 2020-01-21 at 09:11 PM.

17. - Top - End - #917
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nezkrul View Post
    How are these not RAW questions?
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

18. - Top - End - #918
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Nezkrul View Post
    asking for what spells can produce a certain specific effect is a perfectly legitimate raw question, and it is far from the first time someone posted a similar question here.
    it's also a simple question because i expect the answer to be along the lines of "[xyz spell], from spell compendium" or "there is nothing printed with that effect short of epic"
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

19. - Top - End - #919
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #35: 3/2 Score And Four Threads Ago

Q 437

Order of operations question, that came up in last night's game.

A Fang dragon has SR 20, and also has Spell Turning and Shield SLAs up. It gets hit with Magic Missiles. Do I check the Spell Turning first, the SR, or the Shield blocking the MMs?

If MM is not a legal target to be blocked by ST, same question, but substitute an eligible spell such as Tasha's Hideous Laughter: in what order would I check SR and ST?

Basically, wanting to know If Spell Turing kicks in before - or after - other defenses such as Spell Resistance.

Q 438

I vaguely recall that with spells like Magic Missile, SR is checked separately against each missile hitting the creature. Is this correct? I may possibly be thinking of a 2E rule in error.

20. - Top - End - #920

Q 437

Order of operations question, that came up in last night's game.

A Fang dragon has SR 20, and also has Spell Turning and Shield SLAs up. It gets hit with Magic Missiles. Do I check the Spell Turning first, the SR, or the Shield blocking the MMs?

If MM is not a legal target to be blocked by ST, same question, but substitute an eligible spell such as Tasha's Hideous Laughter: in what order would I check SR and ST?

Basically, wanting to know If Spell Turing kicks in before - or after - other defenses such as Spell Resistance.
    A 437: Per the Dungeon Master's Guide, page 299 (When Spell Resistance Applies), "Spell resistance has no effect unless the energy created or released by the spell actually goes to work on the resistant creature’s mind or body," and "Spell resistance can protect a creature from a spell that’s already been cast. Check spell resistance when the creature is first affected by the spell."
    This seems to suggest that spell resistance is sort of the step after you ask "is there a chance I can just act like the spell won't ever get to me?" (SR is only checked at first contact; example is an ogre mage flying into a wall of fire, in which case the answer to that question is no) and "it's my turn to suffer the consequences of this effect" (magic missile has a chance to resolve; as part of resolving magic missile, you can call to the table's attention that shield is active and protects against magic missile specifically). If you abide by this logic, the order of operations is spell turning before other things that say "this doesn't happen".

(This is complicated if you say that targeted spells with lasting durations—in particular shield—are not protected by spells affecting the user the same way gear tends to be. Think about if someone had used dispel magic on the shield spell hovering in front of the fang dragon, instead of the fang dragon itself. If the shield is dispelled without the dispel being checked against spell turning first, then it might also provide its protection against magic missile before spell turning even looks at it.)

Q 438

I vaguely recall that with spells like Magic Missile, SR is checked separately against each missile hitting the creature. Is this correct? I may possibly be thinking of a 2E rule in error.
    A 438: Not quite. In the Dungeon Master's Guide, the glossary entry for spell resistance notes,

Check spell resistance only once for any particular casting of a spell or use of a spell-like ability.
    However, the same section does expect you to check SR for each defending creature independently, in case you wanted to split up those magic missiles between the fang dragon and a brass dragon.

Targeted Spells: Spell resistance applies if the spell is targeted at the creature. Some individually targeted spells, such as magic missile when cast by a 3rd-level caster, can be directed at several creatures simultaneously. In such cases, a creature’s spell resistance applies only to the portion of the spell actually targeted at that creature. If several different resistant creatures are subjected to such a spell, each checks its spell resistance separately.
    The future is bright.

21. - Top - End - #921

RogueGuy

Question 439 Can the alternate ranger combat style (Dragon 341) Piscator (Exotic Weapon (net) /Improved Trip /Improved Critical) combine with
    Warbade's Weapon Aptitude (Ex) to allow Spiked Chain proficiency?

22. - Top - End - #922
    Titan in the Playground

A 439

I'm assuming you are referring to Piscator (Dragon 326 p.97), your combat style gives EWP: Net at 2nd level, instead of the usual Rapid Shot or TWF.

As per the SRD, a Ranger is "treated as" if had the relevant feats for his Combat Style. Weapon Aptitude states "change the designated weapon for any feat you have". A Ranger, while treated as having these feats, does not actually have the feats to use Weapon Aptitude with.

So by my reading: no.

23. - Top - End - #923

RogueGuy

Question 439 follow up
    So, ... ranger combat styles can't be used to qualify for feats? Ranger 6 doesn't qualify for greater manyshot? Champion of the Wild Ranger 8 can't use it's "bonus feat" to pick improved rapid shot without taking manyshot and rapid shot feats, because combat styles aren't feats? That seems counterintuitive.

Because I see a lot of builds that do things like that. What's the sense of dipping ranger if the feats don't synergize with anything?

I'm thinking that if CotW qualifies for using it's own class features (Scout swift hunter builds also), then "treated as if" means in every way except "even if he does not have the normal prerequisites".

24. - Top - End - #924
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bean illus View Post
    Question 439 follow up
    So, ... ranger combat styles can't be used to qualify for feats? Ranger 6 doesn't qualify for greater manyshot? Champion of the Wild Ranger 8 can't use it's "bonus feat" to pick improved rapid shot without taking manyshot and rapid shot feats, because combat styles aren't feats? That seems counterintuitive.

Because I see a lot of builds that do things like that. What's the sense of dipping ranger if the feats don't synergize with anything?

I'm thinking that if CotW qualifies for using it's own class features (Scout swift hunter builds also), then "treated as if" means in every way except "even if he does not have the normal prerequisites".
    A 439 continued

The Ranger is treated as having the feats, so those "virtual" feats do count for prereqs: if you were looking to enter a PrC or take a feat which required EWP, then you should qualify. I'm pretty sure there is a rules citation backing this up, but I can't locate it right now.

However, the wording of Weapon Aptitude is pretty clear that it only affects a "feat you have": you don't technically have the feat - you are treated as having the feat, which is a subtle difference.

Feel free to seek additional opinions though: other readings of the RAW may well differ to mine.

25. - Top - End - #925

Q440

Does practiced spellcaster work with artificer infusions?

26. - Top - End - #926

HalflingRogueGirl

A440: No, because Artificer explictly states it is not a spellcaster and thus does not qualify for the feat.
    All advice given with the caveat that you know your group better than I do. If that wasn't true, you'd be getting advice face-to-face. So I generalize.

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    are you asking us to do research into a setting you wrote yourself?

27. - Top - End - #927
    Troll in the Playground

Q441: Can a barbarian/psychic warrior manifest powers while raging?
    Optimization Showcase in the Playground

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD
    IC LXXVI: Talos
    IC LXXV: Alphonse Louise Constant
    IC XLIX: Babalon, Queen of Bones
    IC XLV: Dead Mists
    IC XL: Lycus Blackbeak
    IC XXXIX: AM-1468
    IC XXXV: Parsifal the Fool
    IC XXX: Jal Filius

28. - Top - End - #928

Quote Originally Posted by Piggy Knowles View Post
    Q441: Can a barbarian/psychic warrior manifest powers while raging?
    A441: Not normally, no. Barbarian rage says the following:

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    While raging, a barbarian cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except for Balance, Escape Artist, Intimidate, and Ride), the Concentration skill, or any abilities that require patience or concentration, nor can he cast spells or activate magic items that require a command word, a spell trigger (such as a wand), or spell completion (such as a scroll) to function.
    Powers typically require concentration when manifesting:

Quote Originally Posted by Also SRD
    Concentration
    To manifest a power, you must concentrate. If something threatens to interrupt your concentration while you’re manifesting a power, you must succeed on a Concentration check or lose the power points without manifesting the power. The more distracting the interruption and the higher the level of the power that you are trying to manifest, the higher the DC. (Higher-level powers require more mental effort.)
    However, applying the Supernatural Transformation feat to your psionics forgoes the Concentration requirement, so you should be able to rage and still manifest using your (Su) powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Also ALSO SRD
    ...supernatural abilities do not provoke attacks of opportunity and never require Concentration checks.
    Q442: I recall there being a druid spell that allows you to permanently turn wasteland into lush, green fields and forests, and it protects the plants from the ravages of the otherwise lethal environment. What spell is it, and where is it found?
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2020-01-27 at 04:28 PM.

29. - Top - End - #929

Q 443
    Can you make a trip attack on an opponent you are currently grappling with?

Q 444
    Is a grapple check an ability check? It is modified by Strength, but is otherwise not called a Strength check (instead, the SRD calls it similar to an attack roll), so do modifiers to ability checks/Strength checks (as opposed to modifiers to Strength itself) affect a grapple check?
    Last edited by St Fan; 2020-02-24 at 02:50 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

30. - Top - End - #930
    Troll in the Playground

Q 445
    Was the summon nature's ally list ever expanded like summon monster was and, if so, is there a list with the names of the monsters?