New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default The Office .. questions

I have been watching The Office on Netflix that past month or so. It's one of those shows that I always meant to watch. With it leaving soon I figured I better before it's completely off. Previously I only watched a show here and there and finally watched about half a season. Currently I am part way though season 8, and I have a couple questions. I know this is pretty close to the end. One question is on my mind though.

When Michael leaves for Colorado, he says "Let me know when they air this." I know the show is suppose to be a Documentary crew is following them around and what not. I always thought that in the context of the show, they aired it or something. Which, makes me wonder how much of the shows illegal activities never got reported. I would look this up but I am trying to avoid some of the spoilers.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Office .. questions

Basically the answer is not to think about it too hard. Like many fictional worlds, a lot off behavior is more tolerated than it would be in the real world.
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Spoiler: Season 9
    Show
    They air it in Season 9. David Wallace mentions how he was displeased to learn a lot of what went down, and
    Spoiler: Series finale
    Show
    Creed gets arrested.

I think a lot of the illegal events would have been civil, not criminal, but I'm unsure. Plus, there's a lot of alluded illegal activity that doesn't have any further evidence on camera (such as when Creed is covered in blood and says, "it's Halloween... That is really good timing.")
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-08-12 at 01:18 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

I too have an Office related question. I was going to make a separate thread even, but saw this. I don't want to derail this thread so I'm asking permission from the OP if I can ask it.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Hat View Post
    I too have an Office related question. I was going to make a separate thread even, but saw this. I don't want to derail this thread so I'm asking permission from the OP if I can ask it.
    Nobody "owns" the thread, and if you made a second thread I'd just merge it with this one. What's your question?

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Nobody "owns" the thread, and if you made a second thread I'd just merge it with this one. What's your question?
    I'm just curious about a quote. I never saw the Office, but I watched this video and am wondering what episode a quote from Robert California is from. Here's the video. You don't have to watch the entire video. Just go to 4:02-4:10 and that's the quote.

Hopefully someone knows the episode and this isn't a needle in a haystack scenario.

7. - Top - End - #7

Season 8, episode 24. Had to look it up, I only knew that it was part of the cold open.

Not even the best Robert California line about sex, either.

Spoiler: The best one
    Show
    Robert: Jim, would you prefer a nature metaphor or a sexual metaphor?
    Jim: Oh, god, nature, please.
    Robert: When two animals are having sex, one of them is communicating a message to the other. Nothing is mutua– this isn’t very helpful. You’re gonna want to hear the sexual metaphor.

Also, i highly recommend the Office. The first season isn't too strong, but even then only the pilot is all that weak (it's a shot-for-shot remake of the UK pilot, which has a very different tone and boss).
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-08-12 at 01:18 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8

Season 8, episode 24. Had to look it up, I only knew that it was part of the cold open.
    How'd you find it? I tried google several times and got nothing.

Not even the best Robert California line about sex, either.

Spoiler: The best one
    Show
    Robert: Jim, would you prefer a nature metaphor or a sexual metaphor?
    Jim: Oh, god, nature, please.
    Robert: When two animals are having sex, one of them is communicating a message to the other. Nothing is mutua– this isn’t very helpful. You’re gonna want to hear the sexual metaphor.
    I actually did find that quote while doing my research.

Also, i highly recommend the Office. The first season isn't too strong, but even then only the pilot is all that weak (it's a shot-for-shot remake of the UK pilot, which has a very different time and boss).
    Maybe next time I sign up for Netflix I will.

9. - Top - End - #9

Googled "sexuality is a spectrum robert California" sans quotes. First hit was the cold open in YouTube, second hit was an Office quotes page with episode info at the top. Top of my head, I tells ya!

10. - Top - End - #10

Googled "sexuality is a spectrum robert California" sans quotes. First hit was the cold open in YouTube, second hit was an Office quotes page with episode info at the top. Top of my head, I tells ya!
    Top of your head? You must have a good memory. I mean for a second I thought you said you entered a phrase into google and it was the first result. I mean I think I tried the exact phrase "sexuality is a spectrum robert California" and got nothing. But it's good to know how well you remember stuff.

11. - Top - End - #11

Top of your head? You must have a good memory. I mean for a second I thought you said you entered a phrase into google and it was the first result.
    The very nerve!

It was the second.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

It doesn't really make much sense. For most of the series, I think the assumption was that it was formatted like a documentary, but wasn't actually a documentary in-universe. If you keep watching the series, you'll get more information about "the documentary," but IMO the explanation they ultimately give doesn't really make sense with the earlier seasons.

As an aside, for those saying they need to watch it before it leaves Netflix, I will remind everyone that it is still possible to buy or rent video that isn't part of a subscription. The Office is only Google Play Movies, Microsoft Movies and TV, and Amazon Video with no subscription required. And unlike in the case of the subscriptions, Comcast, AT&T, and Disney have not indicated any plans to pull their shows from the a la carte stores. Even after the big film studios pull their content from Netflix in favor of their own subscriptions, they (at least for the near future) will keep selling their content on Google Play/Amazon Video/Microsoft/iTunes. Subscriptions are not the entirety of digital media.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    It doesn't really make much sense. For most of the series, I think the assumption was that it was formatted like a documentary, but wasn't actually a documentary in-universe. If you keep watching the series, you'll get more information about "the documentary," but IMO the explanation they ultimately give doesn't really make sense with the earlier seasons.
    How so? Imean, I can understand that argument for Parks and Rec, since it kinda did half-documentary-style, half-sitcom-style and didn't really make sense, but The Office constantly referenced that it was an in-universe documentary film crew.

Spoiler: Ones off the top of my head, from the Michael Scott years
    Show
    • When Michael drives into the lake, he opens the rear door so the crew can get out of the car.
    • When Michael gets the second job in the call center, his boss is startled by the crew and strenuously points out to them that the business is legitimate.
    • When Michael and Holly have sex in the office, Michael tries to turn his mic down so the crew cannot hear them.
    • Bob Vance constantly saying "Vance Refrigeration" at every opportunity is largely theorized to be mugging for free publicity (this one is subjective, admittedly)
    • Characters acting discreetly don't ever discuss their actions with the crew, and often openly deny said discrete actions during talking heads (most notably large swaths of Angela and Dwight's relationship). The footage of the discreet activities are also invariably long shots, usually with cover for the crew being visible in the shots. Also, when the crew films Jim and Pam's secret relationship, they see the crew and admit they are seeing each other, and ask them to not tell anyone.
    • When Dwight and Michael take Jim to Utica to try and thwart Karen from poaching Stanley, Karen notices Jim hiding in the car because the crew could not adequately hide. Jim is visibly upset at the crew over this.

ETA: Not off the top of my head, I just saw it in the episode I'm watching:
    • When Michael burns his foot and takes Dwight to the hospital, for the CAT scan, the nurse says no electronics beyond this point, specifically mentioning cameras and sound equipment as she looks at the camera, and Michael says "It's OK, they're with me." That's season 2, episode 12, so pretty early on.

And, for reals this time, those are all off the top of my head. I'm sure there are many, many more.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-08-11 at 10:05 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

On the film crew:
    Spoiler
    Show
    There's also the time one if the crew intervenes physically on Pam's behalf partly because she's in danger and partly because he's fallen for her. He's specifically reassigned to another crew.

Also, there's the finale where they're taking about the documentary.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Sholos View Post
    On the film crew:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I vaguely remember a scene with two characters arguing (Pam and Roy?), the character who is on the defensive (again, pretty sure it's Roy) drops something - and then tries to kick it away or cover it with his foot. But the crew point it out to the other character on the attack (either Jim or Pam, maybe?), and the item that was dropped is evidence to the attacking character's theory.

Unfortunately I only remember the scene, not the specifics.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2019-08-12 at 02:59 AM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

16. - Top - End - #16

On the film crew:
    Spoiler
    Show
    There's also the time one if the crew intervenes physically on Pam's behalf partly because she's in danger and partly because he's fallen for her. He's specifically reassigned to another crew.

Also, there's the finale where they're taking about the documentary.
    I was trying to source everything from early and mid seasons, since the claim was that that wasn't originally how the characters behaved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I vaguely remember a scene with two characters arguing (Pam and Roy?), the character who is on the defensive (again, pretty sure it's Roy) drops something - and then tries to kick it away or cover it with his foot. But the crew point it out to the other character on the attack (either Jim or Pam, maybe?), and the item that was dropped is evidence to the attacking character's theory.

Unfortunately I only remember the scene, not the specifics.
    I don't remember that, but it's vaguely similar to Michael's straight jacket scene.

17. - Top - End - #17

The very nerve!

It was the second.
    WOW! You know a lot. Can you help me with this reference: what episode does Steve Carell's character says the word "no"? I mean he probably says that word in most episodes, but someone with your knowledge knows the exact moment I'm talking about right?

18. - Top - End - #18

WOW! You know a lot. Can you help me with this reference: what episode does Steve Carell's character says the word "no"? I mean he probably says that word in most episodes, but someone with your knowledge knows the exact moment I'm talking about right?
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's the one where he realizes Toby is back after they transferred Holly. Cold open again, they're eating brownies and Kelly gets one for him.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-08-12 at 05:11 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

RogueGuy

Yeah, that is one of the coolest things about watching these shows back to back. Seeing a lot of the memes origins.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Kyberwulf View Post
    When Michael leaves for Colorado, he says "Let me know when they air this." I know the show is suppose to be a Documentary crew is following them around and what not. I always thought that in the context of the show, they aired it or something. Which, makes me wonder how much of the shows illegal activities never got reported. I would look this up but I am trying to avoid some of the spoilers.
    Considering there are actual documentary reality shows on tv which show illegal activities and the people in it who still cannot be arrested because just because everyone on camera acts like they are doing something illegal doesn't mean the authorities can prove it actually happened. I'm thinking of Moonshiners.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    Considering there are actual documentary reality shows on tv which show illegal activities and the people in it who still cannot be arrested because just because everyone on camera acts like they are doing something illegal doesn't mean the authorities can prove it actually happened. I'm thinking of Moonshiners.
    Or Moonshiners doesn't actually show illegal activity. Doesn't one of the supposed moonshiners own a legal distillery? Reality TV is heavily edited and nudged, I wouldn't be surprised at all if some were outright fabricated out if whole cloth.

You know why cops ask you why they pulled you over? If you answer, that's a confession, and you just torpedoed your chances of fighting it. If someone admits to a crime on camera, that's evidence. Now, if The Office was a real documentary and presented as-is (IIRC in the show its a fairly short documentary), I would absolutely expect a plethora editing throughout to show each character in a certain light while hiding other aspects.

22. - Top - End - #22

RogueGuy

I finished watching the series last night. I have to say I liked it.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Kyberwulf View Post
    I finished watching the series last night. I have to say I liked it.
    Now time for the UK version!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Now time for the UK version!
    Warning, there are several differences. Michael comes across as more malicious than out of touch, for one. At least that's how I read it

25. - Top - End - #25

Warning, there are several differences. Michael comes across as more malicious than out of touch, for one. At least that's how I read it
    Michael is a lot more likeable than David, absolutely. It didn't hurt that Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant both told the Americans to make it that way.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Or Moonshiners doesn't actually show illegal activity. Doesn't one of the supposed moonshiners own a legal distillery? Reality TV is heavily edited and nudged, I wouldn't be surprised at all if some were outright fabricated out if whole cloth.
    Tim does. Now. One consequence of joining in series 1. We follow his struggle to go legit over series 2 and on.

Well that's the argument I've seen presented. They may depict actual moonshining, but authorities cannot prove beyond reasonable doubt that they are faking it. It's clearly not fabricated wholecloth though. The surrounding details work too well. They do lean towards heavy dramatic editing, if someone gets pulled over by cops it's always a cliffhanger. Even though they have no moonshine in the car what so ever. Also I doubt the Virginia Alcohol and Tobacco enforcement would agree to be included in a fake show. Not that they were happy with their portrayal in season 1 either. Due to aformented editing cuts making it out like they were rather unsuccessful at their jobs.

Michael is a lot more likeable than David, absolutely. It didn't hurt that Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant both told the Americans to make it that way.
    I have trouble watching the UK version. Ricky Gervais plays such a godawful human being.
    Last edited by snowblizz; 2019-08-14 at 02:37 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

You know why cops ask you why they pulled you over? If you answer, that's a confession, and you just torpedoed your chances of fighting it. If someone admits to a crime on camera, that's evidence. Now, if The Office was a real documentary and presented as-is (IIRC in the show its a fairly short documentary), I would absolutely expect a plethora editing throughout to show each character in a certain light while hiding other aspects.
    What we're privy to is the unedited footage, or at least a large chunk of it, for example we don't see the entire multi-hour drives to Connecticut or New York.
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Jimor View Post
    What we're privy to is the unedited footage, or at least a large chunk of it, for example we don't see the entire multi-hour drives to Connecticut or New York.
    Each episode is heavily edited; they usually encapsulate an entire day, if not multiple days, meaning we'd absolutely not be seeing the raw footage, which would be significantly more and largely unairable. Heck, even the large swaths of driving have occasional clips, meaning it wouldn't be raw.

29. - Top - End - #29

How so? Imean, I can understand that argument for Parks and Rec, since it kinda did half-documentary-style, half-sitcom-style and didn't really make sense, but The Office constantly referenced that it was an in-universe documentary film crew.

Spoiler: Ones off the top of my head, from the Michael Scott years
    Show
    • When Michael drives into the lake, he opens the rear door so the crew can get out of the car.
    • When Michael gets the second job in the call center, his boss is startled by the crew and strenuously points out to them that the business is legitimate.
    • When Michael and Holly have sex in the office, Michael tries to turn his mic down so the crew cannot hear them.
    • Bob Vance constantly saying "Vance Refrigeration" at every opportunity is largely theorized to be mugging for free publicity (this one is subjective, admittedly)
    • Characters acting discreetly don't ever discuss their actions with the crew, and often openly deny said discrete actions during talking heads (most notably large swaths of Angela and Dwight's relationship). The footage of the discreet activities are also invariably long shots, usually with cover for the crew being visible in the shots. Also, when the crew films Jim and Pam's secret relationship, they see the crew and admit they are seeing each other, and ask them to not tell anyone.
    • When Dwight and Michael take Jim to Utica to try and thwart Karen from poaching Stanley, Karen notices Jim hiding in the car because the crew could not adequately hide. Jim is visibly upset at the crew over this.

ETA: Not off the top of my head, I just saw it in the episode I'm watching:
    • When Michael burns his foot and takes Dwight to the hospital, for the CAT scan, the nurse says no electronics beyond this point, specifically mentioning cameras and sound equipment as she looks at the camera, and Michael says "It's OK, they're with me." That's season 2, episode 12, so pretty early on.

And, for reals this time, those are all off the top of my head. I'm sure there are many, many more.
    It's been serveral years since I watched the series, so I had forgotten about several of those.
    The main thing that I recall setting off my "this isn't really a documentary even in-universe" buzzer was the time that Oscar gave a talking-head interview about the extramarital affair Angela's husband was having with him. Kevin walks in on the interview and finds out, but Oscar convinces him to keep it a secret from the rest of the office. It's clear that Oscar wants to keep it a secret, yet he is willing to tell the documentary crew.

On the other hand, I recall that when Michael left the series in season seven, he takes off his microphone, saying he doesn't need it anymore. That exchange supports your argument much more than mine.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    As an aside, for those saying they need to watch it before it leaves Netflix, I will remind everyone that it is still possible to buy or rent video that isn't part of a subscription. The Office is only Google Play Movies, Microsoft Movies and TV, and Amazon Video with no subscription required. And unlike in the case of the subscriptions, Comcast, AT&T, and Disney have not indicated any plans to pull their shows from the a la carte stores. Even after the big film studios pull their content from Netflix in favor of their own subscriptions, they (at least for the near future) will keep selling their content on Google Play/Amazon Video/Microsoft/iTunes. Subscriptions are not the entirety of digital media.
    Or wait it out until the big studios' streaming services fail and everything goes back to Netflix. We can make it happen if we all don't subscribe to hollywood streaming services
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)