Default Re: Favorite Quotes

"Your fangs will never reach me. Ever."

and later

"Looks like your fangs did reach me after all"

Byakuya, from Bleach.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

2. - Top - End - #362
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: Favorite Quotes

"Certainly, master! As you wish, master! Without doubt, master!
    I'm sorry but I have to maim you now, master!"
    -Dre 10, robot with erratic beta personality.

It's a quote from the rulebook of Mutant, a Swedish RPG.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Quotes

So, I did a quick search on the forums and found not one quotes page in it. Now I am a collector of quotes. I find them both amusing and gratifying. and I want to both share my quotes with others and find more, and thus I am starting this thread. Hopeing to garner more quotes for my 49 page collection.

I shall start of this thread with some of the best(in my opinion) quotes in my collection.
    “A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless intraction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day.” –Calvin and Hobbes (August 8, 1992)

“When you think how well basic appliances work, it’s hard to believe anyone ever gets on an airplane” – Calvin, after having is toast burned. (Calvin and hobbes, Sept. 15, 1992)

“At night, my mind does not much care
    If what it thinks is here or there
    It tell me stories it invents
    And makes things that don’t make sense
    I don’t know why it does this stuff
    The real world seems quite weird enough.”
    -Calvin and Hobbes collection

“It takes me more than one recess to wear myself into a state of submission.” Calvin and Hobbes (Oct. 28, 1992)

“Today for show and tell, I’ve brought a tiny marvel of natures: A single snowflake. I think we might learn a lesson from how this utterly unique and exquisite crystal turns into an ordinary boring molecule of water just like every other one when you bring it in the classroom.” – Calvin and Hobbes (Feb. 4, 1993)

“As you can see, I’ve memorized this utterly useless fact long enough to pass a test question. I now intend to forget it forever. You’ve taught me nothing except how to cynically manipulate the system. Congratulations” Calvin and Hobbes Collection

“I’m significant! … Screamed the dust speck.” Calvin and Hobbes Collections

“Virtue isn’t better than Vice, it’s just different.” – Calvin and Hobbes

“Why does man create? Is it man’s purpose on earth to express himself. To bring form to thought and to discover meaning in experiences. Or is it just something to do when he’s bored?” – Calvin and Hobbes

“I have no opposition! My will is Law! I am omnipotent!
    … How boring.” – Calvin and Hobbes

“I keep two magnums in my desk. One’s a gun and I keep it loaded. The other’s a bottle, and it keeps me loaded.” – Tracer Bullet (Calvin and Hobbes collection)

“I decided to write a new ending with my .45 automatic as my co-author”

“I introduced the dame to a friend who’s very close to my heart. Just a little down and left to be specific. My friend is an eloquent speaker. He made three profound arguments while I excused myself from the room. I always leave when the talk gets philosophical.” – Tracer Bullet (Calvin and Hobbes collection)

“I kind of resent the manufacturers implicit assumption that this would amuse me” - Calvin when playing with a toy (Calvin and Hobbes Collection)

“I suppose if we couldn’t laugh at things that don’t make sense, we couldn’t react to a lot of life.” – Hobbes
    ”I can’t tell if that’s funny or really scary” – Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes Collection)
    I heard a voice from above, claiming to be in charge of my destiny. After shooting it twice, it never came back.” – From Floral Justice

“Fear is only a Dream – so dream, my little one, dream” – R.K. Milholland

“Whenever someone asks me to be completely candid, part of me wonders if they know what they’re getting into, and another part of me is scared they just might…” – R.K. Milholland

4. - Top - End - #364
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: Quotes

A witty saying proves nothing. ~Voltaire

Action is eloquence. ~Shakespeare

It is better to be quotable than to be honest. ~Tom Stoppard

Quoting: the act of repeating erroneously the words of another. ~Ambrose Bierce
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2009-04-09 at 11:57 PM.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

5. - Top - End - #365
    Bugbear in the Playground

Never bothered with these topics. May as well start with some names, eh?

Words build bridges into unexplored regions.
    ~ Adolf Hitler

Adults are obsolete children.
    ~ Theodore Geisel (Dr. Seuss)

I have a problem when people say something's real or not real, or normal or abnormal. The meaning of those words for me is very personal and subjective. I've always been confused and never had a clearcut understanding of the meaning of those kinds of words.
    ~ Tim Burton

I have become afflicted with that dread disease, rare but terrible... a malformation... My head and face are gradually assuming an elongated shape. I believe fully that I am growing to resemble the devil - that the similitude is almost completed.
    ~ Herman Webster Mudgett (H. H. Holmes)

One day men will look back and say i gave birth to the twentieth century.
    ~ Jack the Ripper

What will I be doing in twenty years' time? I'll be dead, darling! Are you crazy?
    ~ Freddie Mercury

Last one...

The hardest job kids face today is learning good manners without seeing any.
    ~ Fred Astaire

6. - Top - End - #366
    Troll in the Playground

"We weep at the cry of the hawk, but not at the blood of a fish. Blessed are those with voice."
    - Motoko Kusanagi

These words have stayed with me ever since I first read them. Thus, I've tried to listen to the down trodden, those whose voices are ignored or lost.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar"
    - Sigmund Freud

"The death of one person is a tragedy, the death of a million is a statistic."
    - Joseph Stalin

"All the world's a stage,
    And all the men and women merely players;
    They have their exits and their entrances,
    And one man in his time plays many parts,
    His acts being seven ages."
    - Jaques (from As You Like It by William Shakespeare)

Don't know the source of this one, found it on a humour site. Translated from Russian.
    "Success is closely tied to honesty and decency. If you lack those qualities, success is guaranteed."

"Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. Teach him to fish, you feed him for a lifetime."
    I think we all know where this one came from.
    Last edited by Don Julio Anejo; 2009-04-10 at 01:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maquise View Post
    Anytime someone tries to bring real-world physics into a RWBY discussion, Blake kills them in self defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastoulio
    VERILY, TOP LANE SHALL BE GUARDED BY A VALIANT KNIGHT,
    YEA, MIDDLE LANE SHALL BE OCCUPIED BY A WIZARD,
    I SAY UNTO THEE, A TEAM SHALL HAVE ONE WOODSMAN TO PATROL THE FOREST,
    FINALLY, AN ARCHER OF PENULTIMATE SKILL SHALL GO TO THE BOTTOM LANE, ACCOMPANIED ONLY BY HIS SQUIRE

8. - Top - End - #368
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

There is an existing thread with this express purpose already in progress.

It is labeled Favorite Quotes, is merely on Page 3, and is only two and a half weeks since the last post.
    Want to meet some of the most awesome people on the internet? Come to the Baltimore/DC Area RenFest Meetup 2012!

9. - Top - End - #369
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude View Post
    Quoting: the act of repeating erroneously the words of another. ~Ambrose Bierce
    Ah, Bierce. My favorite cynic.
    Speaking of which...

"CYNIC, n. A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be."
    -Ambrose Bierce

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vael View Post
    Ah, Bierce. My favorite cynic.
    Speaking of which...

"CYNIC, n. A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be."
    -Ambrose Bierce
    I like that quote.
    This avatar by Phase.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Don Julio Anejo View Post
    "Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. Teach him to fish, you feed him for a lifetime."
    "Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. Set the man on fire, and he will be warm for his whole lifetime."
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    Trusting Murska worked out great!
    Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    A Murska without lies is like a day without sunshine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Barbarian in the Playground

Always be on the lookout for the obvious -unknown

We must believe in free will. We have no choice. -Issac B. Singer

'What we've learned from history is that man has never learned from history' -Hegel
    Last edited by Graymayre; 2009-04-10 at 06:31 AM.
    Bombastic founder of the "That guy with a Halberd" Fanclub
    Wanna see this guy return? Click here for more information
    Check out my Spaceatar by Geiger Counter here
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    I am laughing my head off and applauding your tactic genius all at the same time. Bravo, good sir...
    FighterITP : Silver

13. - Top - End - #373

NecromancerGirl

A few of my recent favourites.

“The Rat is the one who betrays humanity by institutionalizing, so much as possible, a death so white that it can no longer be distinguished from life.” ~ Frederick J. Wertz (The Rat in Psychological Science)

“For a more serious example, that all men die is a truth; and to say that such and such a percentage die at such and such ages gives a statistical accuracy to the proposition. But neither of these statements says anything about the fact which really matters most to each of us—namely, that you and I must alone face the fact that at some unknown moment in the future we shall die.” ~ Rollo May (The Discovery of Being)

“The family’s function is to repress Eros; to induce a false sense of security; to deny death by avoiding life; to cut off transcendence; to believe in God; not to experience the Void; to create, in short, one-dimensional man; to promote respect, conformity, obedience; to con children out of play; to induce a fear of failure; to promote a respect for work; to promote a respect for ‘respectability.’” ~ R.D. Laing (The Mystification of Experience)

“Human experience does not lend itself to the authoritative claims of either religion or science.” ~ Alan Bullock (The Humanist Tradition in the West)

"Freedom is but the negative aspect of the whole phenomenon whose positive aspect is responsibleness. In fact, freedom is in danger of degenerating into mere arbitrariness unless it is lived in terms of responsibleness." -Viktor Frankl(Man's Search for Meaning)
    The first chapter of The Book of Svarog

“Everything has its time and everything dies.” ~ The Doctor (Doctor Who)

“The facts of nature are settled within the field of human argument.” ~ The Golem- What Everyone Should Know about Science by Harry Collins and Trevor Pinch.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Ogre in the Playground

Our myths are steeped in blood and tragedy and the grim acceptance of fate. The difference between these myths and the lessons they teach us and the modern day are virtually non existent. A man's life, decided by the warmongers, by the blade of a knife, a bullet from a gun or a bomb is no different from the warmongers and warriors of legend. We write our own legends today, here and now, yet always with blood.~ A.A. Nemtheanga

It gladdens me to know that Balder’s father makes ready the benches for a banquet. Soon we shall be drinking ale from the curved horns. The champion who comes into Odin’s dwelling does not lament his death. I shall not enter his hall with words of fear upon my lips. The Æsir will welcome me. Death comes without lamenting… Eager am I to depart. The Dísir summon me home, those whom Odin sends for me from the halls of the Lord of Hosts. Gladly shall I drink ale in the high-seat with the Æsir. The days of my life are ended. I laugh as I die. ~ The death song of Ragnar Lodbrok from norse legend
    Last edited by zeratul; 2009-04-10 at 10:25 AM.
    Alexi Laiho Avatar by Mr._Saturn
    Spoiler
    Show

Sephiroth and Arthuai
    [CENTER]Sepiroth avatars by Ink
    Arthuai by Mr_Saturn
    Alexi Laiho by Mr_Saturn

I have a metal blog thing now, check it out

Quote Originally Posted by D'anna Biers View Post
    MOTHER NATURE IS LIKE A REAL MOTHER. IN THAT SHE SECRETELY HATES YOU AND NEVER LETS YOU GO OUT WITH YOUR HOODLUM FRIENDS.
    You can't kill the metal, metal will live on! \m/

15. - Top - End - #375

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age. - H.P.Lovecraft

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible. - T.E. Lawrence

But we were born of risen apes, not fallen angels, and the apes were armed killers besides. And so what shall we wonder at? Our murders and massacres and missiles, and our irreconcilable regiments? Or our treaties whatever they may be worth; our symphonies however seldom they may be played; our peaceful acres, however frequently they may be converted into battlefields; our dreams however rarely they may be accomplished. The miracle of man is not how far he has sunk but how magnificently he has risen. We are known among the stars by our poems, not our corpses. — Robert Ardrey

Bowmen, when they need to use their bows, they bend them. When they are not using their bows they loosen them, for if they were taunt all the time they would snap and so would not be of any use when they needed to use them. Such is the state of man also, for if he wanted to be serious all the time, and did not relax himself sometimes with a game he would go mad or out of his mind. I, knowing this, allocate a proportion of my time to both. - Amasis, King of Egypt, replying to the accusation that he is too frivolous and should be a more serious ruler. - Heroditus

It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt
    "All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence

16. - Top - End - #376
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The best way to foretell the future is to create it.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Banned

MonkGuy

"Nothing bad ever happens to the Kennedies!"

"Unexceptable? Did you see the pool? They flipped the bitch!"

-Clone High

Man, I miss that show.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Ogre in the Playground

how fortunate for dictators that men do not think.
    -Adolf Hitler.

With Great Power, comes Great Responsibility.
    -Stan Lee

The thing about words is that meaning can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
    -Terry Pratchett
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Herman View Post
    I just found a dead cat in my quern. I guess someone was trying to make cat bread.
    Props go out to kwarkpudding for the awesome avatar!

19. - Top - End - #379

"It is better to live a day as a lion than a hundred years as a lamb." - Italian Proverb

"It is better to be feared and obeyed than loved and not." - Niccolo Machiavelli

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." - The Golden Rule
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar, and many thanks, to Nevitan!

Thanks to Lubirio for the calligraphy signature!

Quotes and Links:

Quote Originally Posted by Beholder1995 View Post
    Lupy, you have officially reached that point known as 'awesome'.
    Quote Originally Posted by quinsar View Post
    You win Lupy!
    Quote Originally Posted by FireFox View Post
    It had nothing to do with the damn parakeet!
    A little song about the internet.

To the Dancing Fox Inn!

PM me about Linux!

20. - Top - End - #380
    Ogre in the Playground

Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum

And you don't even need to take Latin to figure out what it means.
    Thanks to Ceika (X2), Yeril, Holammer and Dr. Bath for the Avatars!
    New Avatar, new form of self-destruction! Ceika is Beyond Awesome!

21. - Top - End - #381
    Orc in the Playground

“Enemies are so stimulating.” - Katharine Hepburn

“If you always do what interests you, at least one person is pleased.” - Katharine Hepburn

I love that woman...
    Oh, you. You just couldn't let me go, could you? This is what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object. You are truly incorruptible, aren't you? Huh? You won't kill me out of some misplaced sense of self-righteousness. And I won't kill you because you're just too much fun. I think you and I are destined to do this forever. - Joker

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ogre in the Playground

"You can be a murderous tyrant and the world will remember you fondly, but *bleep* one horse and you'll be a horse *bleep*er forever"
    Catherine the Great.

"Never fight ugly people, they have nothing to lose."
    Keychain
    Last edited by Anuan; 2009-04-10 at 09:47 PM.
    Regular avatar by Dallas-Dakota.
    -----------
    Regarding mysellf:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    Pretty sure that Anuan is the local weapons pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt View Post
    Anuan's house is a HOUSE OF DEATH!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dallas-Dakota View Post
    I'd go to his house and steal all the awesome.
    But I'm afraid I'd accidentally stab myself to death.

23. - Top - End - #383

My personal favorite:

"You, my friend, are one plum short of a prune pie."
    Hey. Do you want to help make a game?

Due to real life issues, I have been gon without warning for a while. I seem to be back now until further notice.

Thanks to Szilard for the Avatar!

If I am ever wrong, feel free to correct me. Learning is awesomesauce.

I like to edit my posts. A lot. As you may see, most of my posts will be edited, so if one is not, and you care about what I said, you may want to check it again a minute later.

Yes.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Firbolg in the Playground

"Oh no, not again" - The last thoughts of a falling bowl of petunias.

"I checked it very thoroughly, and that quite definitely is rhe answer.I think the problem, to be quite honest with you, is that you've never actually known what the question is." - Deep Thought

"The officer's next point was that I wasn't in the universe. I was in England"

"This is a well known hazard for writers, and the correct response to the question is to first breathe deeply, steady your heartbeat, fill your mind with peaceful, calming images of birdsong and buttercups in spring meadows, and then say 'Well, it's very interesting you ask that...' before breaking down and starting to whimper uncontrollably."

All from Douglas Adams.

EDIT:
    "My baby kisses like a
    Ghost ship!
    I touched my baby on her
    Ghost ship!"
    "Where exactly is a woman's 'ghost ship'?"
    "Don't you know?" - Ghost Ship, Tripod.
    Last edited by Dogmantra; 2009-04-11 at 04:25 PM.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

25. - Top - End - #385
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Don Julio Anejo View Post
    "The death of one person is a tragedy, the death of a million is a statistic."
    - Joseph Stalin
    It's a bird!

It's a plane!

It's...

CAPTAIN MINUTIAE!

Stalin actually never said that. In fact, it probably originated from an unrelated novel, Der schwarze Obelisk (The Black Obelisk).
    Spoiler
    Show
    <-I won this from Dr. Bath.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #386
    Ogre in the Playground

"Through clever and constant application of propaganda, people can be made to see paradise as hell, and also the other way around, to consider the most wretched sort of life as paradise." -- Adolf Hitler

"The masses have little time to think. And how incredible is the willingness of modern man to believe." -- Benito Mussolini
    ٩๏̯͡๏
    New found land. It's like Untitled Document, for places - Flickerdart

27. - Top - End - #387
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lupy View Post
    "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." - The Golden Rule
    I believe that Jesus Christ said that one, not some guy who's called The Golden Rule.

Anyways, my favorite quotes:

"Non-conformists hate conformists for not conforming to non-conformity." - Unknown

"Honor means nothing more than prickly infantile vanity dressed up, usually, in desperate class-consciousness. Of all the symptoms of a weak ego, honor is the most embarrassing, and the most harmful. In a right-minded society it would be made a capital offense." - Fred Reed
    "Love takes up where knowledge leaves off."
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

28. - Top - End - #388
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dragonprime View Post
    I believe that Jesus Christ said that one, not some guy who's called The Golden Rule.
    Well, to be more accurate, it's a rule/philosophy that's more or less represented in every religion and moral system in the world, so pinning it down to a single person would be unfair, which is why it's called "The Golden Rule".
    ٩๏̯͡๏
    New found land. It's like Untitled Document, for places - Flickerdart

29. - Top - End - #389

Actually, Jesus never said that, it's a misquote. You can google the verses for yourself.

Back on topic:

"Badass. *dons crown* Really Badass." - Xykon
    Last edited by Lupy; 2009-04-11 at 07:02 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar, and many thanks, to Nevitan!

Thanks to Lubirio for the calligraphy signature!

Quotes and Links:

Quote Originally Posted by Beholder1995 View Post
    Lupy, you have officially reached that point known as 'awesome'.
    Quote Originally Posted by quinsar View Post
    You win Lupy!
    Quote Originally Posted by FireFox View Post
    It had nothing to do with the damn parakeet!
    A little song about the internet.

To the Dancing Fox Inn!

PM me about Linux!

30. - Top - End - #390
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    "You can be a murderous tyrant and the world will remember you fondly, but *bleep* one horse and you'll be a horse *bleep*er forever"
    Catherine the Great.
    Wait, seriously?

Seriously.

Okay, I've posted two responses and no actual quotes. Time to rectify that.

From the excellent film Nicholas and Alexandra

Rasputin: I can't leave. I want to serve Batushka and Matushka. I want peace, and food for peasants everywhere. I want that girl you you saw. And all the girls I haven't seen. I want to sleep, but can't sleep unless I'm drunk. I want to die and go to heaven. I want music. I want God to love me and I want to see YOU dance. Ha ha ha!
    Spoiler
    Show
    <-I won this from Dr. Bath.
    Spoiler
    Show