New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Lost Mines of Phandelver (IC)

Jereni Apenbough

Without hesitation Jereni sets her glaive lengthwise on a table, sits and begins to (ineffectively) clean her fingernails on the big blade. She takes a big sip of the ale and frowns. "Cider? This is good. I'm Jereni. This is Vivienne. We guard goods on the road and found goblins. We killed some that ambushed us, but there are more. Do you have smoked fish? A man outside was smoking fish and it smelled wonderful.

"We want to go back and look for our dwarf - do you know Gundren? We think they have him. Do you have warriors here? And smoked fish?"

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Lorban Lleguma

"Attacks along the Eastern trail?
    Any members of the Lionshield Coster?
    " He reveals the sack's emblem to Elmar. "I discovered this on one of the goblins we managed to defeat."

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Vivianne very obviously sits at a different table. It would appear that whatever relations you think you had built with the former soldier are gone.

She thanks the man for the cider, then sets a gold piece on the table.

I'll take whatever's strongest you have until that's used up.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"I believe so, I believe so. Linene (who Lorban recognizes as the local factor for the Lionshields) told me her last caravan is late. If you found this on a goblin, I fear they must have had a hand in its disappearance," Elmar tells Lorban. "I will tell her what you've found."

At the inn, the innkeep's eyes widen as Vivianne hands him the gold piece. He looks at it closely, runs his thumb around the milling, and cautiously bites the coin. Satisfied with its authenticity, he stows it and says, "It will take several days to run through this, miss. Ale or cider is 4 cp, a private room is 1 sp, a night on the common room floor is 7 cp." The innkeep turns to Jereni and says, "Gundren is missing? That is... what next? Gods preserve us. A few of us can swing a club or shoot a bow, but the only warriors are the mercenaries... the Redbrands." The innkeep lowers his voice and says, "They are more like thugs, if you ask me." And then in a normal voice, "We have some nice smoked fish, couple barrels came in from Neverwinter a few weeks ago. 6 cp with some bread and salt, if you wish. Or you can have some pottage and bread."

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Lorban Lleguma

"Yes, she will want to know." He lets out a long, deep sigh, "I suppose I should inform townmaster Wester of the news. Gods only know how long that will take. Or what good will come of it...We appreciate the payment, good day to you!"

Immediately upon stepping outside, he keeps his eyes peeled for red cloaks.
    Spoiler: Perception
    Show

(1d20+4)[10]
    If he doesn't spot any Redbrands, he will begin to walk towards the Townmaster's Hall, stopping by the Stonehill to see if the others are there. Assuming they are, he will give a nod to Toblen and hand each their share.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

You don't have anything stronger than ale?

Vivianne sighs. This really has been a day.

Fine. Just keep the ale coming. And I'll take a room for the night. In the morning, you can give me whatever you feel I didn't spend. Fair?

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground

Jereni Apenbough

Happily paying Toblen the coppers, Jereni munches away, making smalltalk with anyone willing, mostly wondering if the perception of these Redbrands is common, and if they'd be willing to help at all.

She watches Vivienne make an unfriendly and somewhat threatening presence in the hall, and though she wants to stay on the woman's good side, she can't help but say, "You're getting a room? I thought we would find help and return to the cave as soon as we could. We could get back there in an hour with good horses. Isn't that what you wanted?" She's immediately sorry she opened her mouth and hopes Vivienne doesn't throw something heavy or sharp at her.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Vivianne downs her entire mug and slams it on the table as Jereni speaks. Oh, so now you’re interested in my opinion? When you’ve come here to get farmers to fight for you?

She picks up her next mug, and starts drinking that one as well.

I’ve already done my share of leading good people to their deaths. Gotten enough of my share of watching untrained farmers getting stabbed and hacked apart in front of me for a lifetime. I’m done with that, so if that’s what you want to do, you do it without me.

She drinks some more, and sets the mug down, not quite as hard as before, but still with more force than was required.

Understand?

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

Jereni Aspenbough

Realizing her mouth is hanging open, she snaps it shut and wonders about the big woman and her mysteries. Bitterness at loss she certainly understands, but what is she seeing - anger? Self-hatred? Vivienne had revealed nothing about herself, and Jereni wasn't sure how to react to such an outburst.

She pays Toblen, not caring about the details of the meal so long as she gets the fish, and digs in. She says, "Vi kæmper for at leve, indtil vi fejler," somewhat under her breath. It's a truism, but she doesn't want to upset the odd woman further. Those around her likely understand Illuskan, though. "So these Redbrands. Who are they? Where did they come from? Are they thugs who will come and fight goblins, or will they refuse the call for honor or money?"

Spoiler: Insight
    Show
    Is Vivienne from The North?
    (1d20)[13]
    Last edited by Gorgon_Heap; 2022-02-06 at 05:01 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Lorban heads over to the Stonehill inn. Toblen nods to him as he enters and says, "Welcome back, Lorban. Are you staying for a while again?" Once Lorban heads back out towards the townmaster's hall, he looks around down the muddy street. He doesn't see any of the Redbrands about, and heads over to the towmaster's hall. The hall has sturdy stone walls, a pitched wooden roof and a bell tower at the back. Posted on a board next to the front door is a notice written in Common. It reads: "REWARD - Orcs near Wyvern Tor! Those of a mind to face the orc menace should inquire within." The notice bears the town's seal and an indecipherable signature. Inside, at his desk is the townsmaster, an old pompous (but wealthy) fool named Harbin Wester. Lorban has been doing scribe's work for him for a little while, and Harbin starts has Lorban enters, but then relaxes as he sees him. He mops his brow with a handkerchief and says, "Ah, you're back. How was the little job?"

Back at the inn, Jereni talks to the innkeep, who says, "They came here a tenday ago and immediately began pushing people around, demanding protection money. I don't know if you could hire them..." A woman comes in, bringing food. She scowls and says, "They killed Thel! And kidnapped his wife and kids! Who knows what they are suffering!" Toblen visibly gets nervous at that and tries to calm his wife down. "Let's not worry these... newcomers... about this sort of thing..." he tells her.

One of the locals says to Vivianne, "Hah, if you want something stronger, go down to the Sleeping Giant. The dwarf there has some potent dwarven ales on tap." One of the others, a woman, elbows him and says, "Don't go down there unless you want trouble, those mercenaries have taken it over as their drinking house."

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Lorban Lleguma

Lorban shakes his head at the innkeeper. " Unfinished obligations, I'm afraid.
    Speaking of which, if you know of anyone with the ability to swiftly deliver a message to Gundren's brothers, please send them my way.
    "

Wasting no time with the townmaster, "We were ambushed along the Triboar. By a squad of goblins. They were no match for the four of us, however...". He shows Harbin the bounty. " That's surely Gundren and Sildan. Their horses were filled with arrows and left in the road. Fortunately the soldier, Jereni, is a skilled tracker. We've discovered where they're being held. In a cave not too far from the trail.
    Ideally, our next step will be contacting Gundren's brothers. No doubt, they will want to be part of the rescue effort. And as it appears Gundren was targeted, they should know that they could be targets as well.
    "

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Deception (since Lorban projected a lot more certainty about the captives' whereabouts and stillaliveness than he had any right to) (1d20+5)[10]

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

Jereni Aspenbough

Conflicted, Jereni concentrates on her food and drink for a moment. One one hand, it sounded like these Redbrands were a bunch of real pricks making these people's lives miserable. On the other, their priority is helping Gundren and keeping the road safe from murderous goblins. She would very much like to recruit the Redbrands to that cause; bastards can still be persuaded to do the right thing with the proper incentive... but she doubted a call for clan and community would bring them around as it would one of her kin. But perhaps it was worth a try.

Hearing what Vivienne is discussing but not wanting to anger her, Jereni is cautious. "Maybe the Redbrands can be convinced to help; they aren't, ah, innocent farmers or such. Say, for the spoils? Would you like to make an offer while you are in their tavern?"
    Last edited by Gorgon_Heap; 2022-02-09 at 10:03 AM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Vivianne snorts at Jereni's suggestion.

Where in the Nine Hells did you come from to think that I could make them a reasonable offer? I haven't the coin to pay for one sellsword for a day. Let alone a damned band of them. And why in the hells are you still talking to me anyway? I sat apart from you for a damned reason.

And with that, Vivanne stands up and hoists her sword up onto her shoulder.

I strongly suggest you stay here. Where it’s safe. How you seem to like it.

She then walks out the door and heads for the Sleeping Giant.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

Jereni Aspenbough

A little frightened, the trail guide tried to remain calm in the face of the storm and unaffected when it blew out the door. What on Toril had the big woman been going on about? Why was she so angry, and why was she taking it out on Jereni? She might be more dangerous than she appears, if she's got some uncontrollable bloodlust. She had been hoping to find allies against the goblins, but instead she seems to have discovered another enemy. How could she trust traveling with such a person again?

Let her face the goblins alone, if that's what she wants. If she survives she can gloat all she likes. And better they get a blade in the face than she gets one in the back.

She considers talking with Lorben about it, but he is city folk as well, and a devil-blood. She'd also caught him constantly peering over his shoulder like a man being hunted, which did not speak well for his character or past actions. She did grant that he reacted wisely to this threat, but that didn't mean he could be trusted with their lives. She realizes that Gundren was probably not going to get any aid. Sighing sadly, she turns her attention back to Toblen and the villagers, conversing about the weather and harvest and local rumors (more eagerly with Illuskan speakers.)

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The townsmaster shakes his head and says, "I haven't seen them for a few weeks. They usually come by for more supplies, so we'll see them once their beer runs out!" He pauses and says, "I suppose you could ask Halia if she's seen them..." He almost spits out her name. Lorban knows that Halia is towmsmaster Harbin's big rival; the one he'd been asking Lorban to spy on. She runs the miner's exchange, buying the local prospectors' valuable finds in exchange for currency or scrip. Harbin looks at the message and scratches his head. "That is worrying. We'd better tell them when they get here. But maybe you and those other guards can go check to see if Gundren is OK."

Back at the inn, the patrons watch as Vivianne leaves. The waitress says to Jereni, "She shouldn't do that! Those thugs and murderers will get her! They already killed one man already, and kidnapped his wife and kids!" The other villagers mutter and shake their heads in agreement. The woman who had tried to warn Vivianne says to Jereni, "Those bastards have been shaking down all the businesses in town. Well, except for the Miner's exchange. They must be rolling in money by now."

Vivianne heads out of the tavern into the night. The stars twinkle down on her as she heads up the road towards the Sleeping Giant taphouse. It is a ramshackle house at the east end of town. Three ruffians linger on the covered porch, perched on empty ale barrels and leaning against the wall. They all wear grimy scarlet cloaks, their sullen stares fixed on Vivianne as she approaches. "Well, well, looks like a little lost puppy has come by," one of them says. "Should we take her home to play with her?" he asks his companions, as they snicker.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Vivianne rolls her eyes at the comment. Like she's never heard anything like it before.

She takes the sword from her shoulder and sets its point in the ground. The blade is long enough that when she hooks her elbow over the guard to put some of her weight on the bade, her elbow is still level with her face. Her hand coming to rest on the section of blade past the hilt that isn't sharpened.

You can certainly try. But I don't think you would even know which end of anything to use to enjoy yourself. Probably still trying to learn how to get a proper grip on your weapons. Now, she says, rolling her head from side to side to crack the joints of her neck. The move also lets the twin glistening scars of rank on her neck shine in pale contrast to the tanned skin of her neck.

We gonna have some fun, or do I get to go inside and have a drink? Either way, I get the drink.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

17. - Top - End - #77
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Lorban Lleguma

The tiefling tilts his head, "I'm not sure of a way to do that. He is being held captive in a cave. The only apparent answer would be to cut through the goblins...And not just goblins! We've observed a number of...wolves. You know, the type that goblins are known to train. And the tracks indicate a larger humanoid...probably orc.". He hands over the sack with the emblem. "Orcs have been raiding the Eastern trail, yes? That was carried by one of the goblins. We have to assume they're organized."

He furrows his brow, taking a long pause before speaking again, "Who are these mercenaries, these Redbrands? Where are they from? Should we consider hiring them in our plans to liberate Gundren? Honestly, they sound like more trouble than they're worth."

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The bandit sneers and draws his sword. Moments later, the other two draw theirs and the leader motions to them to surround Vivianne. "Looks like we need ta teach her a lesson or three," he says, and they attack. Vivianne is able to avoid two of their swings, but the the third one manages to hit her solidly [7 damage].

Harbin says to Lorban, "Oh, they're just some wandering mercenary company. No trouble at all, no trouble." He is sweating profusely. Then he adds "None of them have asked about the bounty on the orcs, but I suppose they could just be working up their nerve? I'll pay them, pay anyone the bounty if they do the job. I suppose they might want to be paid up front, but none of them have asked about it."

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Her blood boils.

These have drawn her blood.

Blood feeds blood.
    Blood calls blood.
    Blood is, and blood was,
    and blood shall ever be.

Her blood boils. And she calls it forth.

She screams a wordless, soundless battle cry. A cry of battle. A cry that calls out that she is unafraid of the battle to come.

Her hand is already on the zweihander. Her other hand meets the hilt as she swings the sword upward.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Bonus action: Rage.

Attacking the one who damaged Vivianne. (1d20+4)[20] Damage: (2d6+4)[12]

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

20. - Top - End - #80
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Lorban Lleguma

"Wandering mercenaries?
    Wandering from where? Where do they come from?
    " He takes a deep breath to let his agitation go. "Do they have a leader we can speak with?"

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Gundark leaves his room at the Stonehill inn. The letter he'd received from Sildar Hallwinter had asked him to meet Sildar in Phandalin, but Sildar was now two days late. And what was worse, the swaggering Redbrands had seemed to take an interest in him; whenever he was out in the town one or two always seemed to be just around the corner, keeping an eye on him. Fortunately they avoided the Stonehill inn, and that evening when he went down into the common room for dinner, he saw an unfamiliar woman (Jereni) talking with some of the locals. As he looked around, suddenly from outside, he hears an angry shout and then a scream of pain. The locals all nervously look into their drinks, trying to ignore the sounds from outside.

Harbin says that he's heard them mention someone named "Glasstaff" a few times, he thinks that's their leader's name. They'd come down from the Triboar trail but from before that, he doesn't know. Lorban tries to assess Harbin's attitude, and comes to the conclusion the townmaster is terrified of them and thinks that if he doesn't make waves they'll go away. He also thinks back to what he's learned about Halia in the past few days; she is not afraid of anyone and is unlikely to be intimidated easily. She had been polite to Lorban, but didn't reveal much when they talked, probably because she realized he had been working for the townmaster. Also Lorban found out that while she isn't paying out the miners as much as Harbin thinks they deserve, it's more due to the paucity of the finds rather then an attempt to cheat them. Unsurprisingly she has a great deal of correspondence with the outside world; one day Lorban had managed to drink a courier under the table and he'd had a quick look at it. However she seemed to be using some sort of cipher and he hadn't been able to tell what the message contained. While he mulls that over, from outside he hears an angry shout and a scream of pain. Harbin's face goes pale at that and he stammers; "Close the door, lad, quick-like!"

Vivianne lands a powerful blow on one of her assailants and he screams in pain as he staggers back, with blood streaming from his side. The other two men, however, take their opportunity and land heavy blows on Vivianne; she feels a burst of pain on the side of her head but her pure rage allows her to power through the pain...
    Last edited by dojango; 2022-02-17 at 06:10 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Gandurk was a bit irrate. His funds had been nearly drown out and Sildar was way too late. Then there were even these people who seemed to keep swaggering around him. A new face in the inn was not something he found that noticeable, but the scream from outside definitely was. The locals reacting fidgety told him enough.

He strode towards the door and ripped it open, while shouting: Healer coming through! Out of the way!

A human with normal height, definitely on the younger side strides out of the inn. He wears washed out grey clothes and his piercing green eyes search the cause of the scream to run towards it, grapping a small satchel filled to the brim with bandages and herbs, but also keeping a small knife ready.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridai View Post
    No no no, not speaking while fighting. Speaking with the fighting!

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Vivianne grimaces as the blades cut into her.

A small part of her, far back in her brain warns her that she is in danger, but she is lost in her battle rage, the anger driving her, and the wild abandon of not caring anymore.

But, if she is going to die, she will do what she can to take one of them with her.

She raises her sword as she screams to the night air. I only wanted...

She swings her sword at the man she has already injured.

A DRINK!

Spoiler: Roll
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+4)[12] Damage: (2d6+4)[13]

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Lorban Lleguma

Lorban turns his head to discern the source of the distress. But his curiosity is interrupted by Harbin's own squeals, and he acquiesces. "╢╖╖lɒɈɿoqɘʜɈlɒɘƨ╖╖╢"

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show

Casts Thaumaturgy to slam the door shut.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

Jereni Aspenbough

Sitting comfortably at the Stonehill Inn, Jereni swallows some satisfying smoked fish and examines the worried faces of the villagers. Violence has erupted nearby, not a battle, but a fight, probably Vivienne starting trouble, and some fellow had just run out the door while the rest appear frozen with indecision. Maybe. What are they thinking? "What are you thinking," she asks anyone and everyone present. "Are they going to make your lives worse because of this? How many Redbrands are there - did somebody already mention this? I wasn't paying attention. Don't you outnumber them by dozens to one? This community should stand together. If they're threatening you and taking you away, you should throw them off while you're till strong and that maniac is out there fighting them.

"Or don't, I suppose. But we stand together in The North. That's our strength. Or I thought it was. Maybe you've all gotten weak this far south. What do I know.

"This is good fish. Do you have pepper?"

Show
    Jereni doesn't really care enough about this to project a rousing speech to get them up in arms, but she would like them to do so themselves. If you want a roll here's Persuasion (1d20+2)[20]

26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Jereni looks around the frightened faces in the common room. They avoid her eyes; after all they are craftsmen, miners, farmers. Not warriors. Finally Toblen says quietly, "They have swords, and we don't." He places a small pot of peppercorns by her elbow.

Out on the street, Vivianne tries to hack at the wounded man, but he manages to stagger back. And then she feels two more blows, before everything fades to black...

When Gundark runs out of the inn, he looks down the street to the sound of the commotion. He sees three figures struggling with another one. The lone fighter falls into the mud of the street under their blows.

Lorban makes the door slam shut, and the townmaster starts mopping his brow. He whimpers a little bit and his eyes dart around the room. "We're safe in here, we're safe in here," he mutters. Lorban isn't sure who he's trying to convince.

Spoiler
    Show
    Two hits of 2 will knock Vivianne out, unfortunately they all rolled pretty well.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

Jereni Aspenbough

Disgusted, the Reghed woman stares at the villagers in growing anger. “Is that all?” She removes her bow and slams it on the table. “Take that. Surely you have hunting bows. Get some staves, and I will go with you. You are Northerners and you’re cowering before thugs? Have you no spines? Have you no love for each other? They take your friends and family and you do nothing?! People need help and you won't help yourselves. Maybe you deserve to be stepped on.

“In fact, return my money,”
    she demands, livid and waving her glaive dangerously (if not threateningly). “Why should I pay you when you will let me take what I want? Hand it over, cowards.”
    Last edited by Gorgon_Heap; 2022-02-20 at 09:56 PM.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Gandurk doesn't seem to stop when he goes towards the assailants but eventually does stop before he goes into a threathening range.

Hey, seems like you beat this one good, eh? How about it I stop her bleeding and then take care of the wound she gave you? You know you can't press more out of them if they're dead, right?

It seemed impressive enough that somebody wanted to stand up against these thugs and if this one may made it through they may actually be helpful to get these thugs of his back eventually.

Show
    Persuasion: (1d20+4)[10]
    If they let him Gandurk would use his Healing Kit to not only stabilize Vivianne but also give her 1 hit point back. I don't know if being unconscious really stops rage however...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridai View Post
    No no no, not speaking while fighting. Speaking with the fighting!

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Lorban Lleguma

Lorban opens the shutter to one of the windows and peaks outside. If he sees nothing related to the commotion, he will shut it and move to another window.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Perception: (1d20+4)[5]

30. - Top - End - #90
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The Redbrand mercenary looks at Gundark and looks at his companions. He delivers a vicious kick to Vivianne, who is lying prostrate on the ground. He picks up her two-handed sword and slings it over his shoulder and says, "This is Redbrand turf. Cross us again and we'll feed you to the beast. Best you just piss off to whatever slum you crawled out of." They walk away to the east, laughing. Gundark is then able to tend her wounds. They look far worse then they actually are, and he is able to bind them and stabilize her. She wakes to see his face peering down at her.

Inside the inn there is dead silence as Jereni berates the tavern patrons. It's a small room, and the patrons edge back to the walls, away from the reach of her glaive, and as she turns around, most of them silently slip out the door. The innkeep carefully counts out the coins she had paid and places them on the bar. Then he says, "I think it would be best if you found somewhere else to sleep."

Lorban spends some time peeking out of the windows, but doesn't see anything in the night. The other houses loom around the Townmaster's hall, casting deep shadows in the moonlight.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rage does end when you are knocked unconcious, so Vivianne isn't under its effects any more.