New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ... 223738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1476
  1. - Top - End - #1381
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XLIII: "This Is A New LoW For Us All"

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I have to admit that I'm this close to painting one GKGM (for smaller games) and one GMDK 'normally' and then doing the rest as spectres. I can crap out ~50 models in a week and just be done with it, but... I *like* how normal Grey Knights look...
    A friend of mine had 1750 Points of Ghost Knights - he painted from scratch to tournament in two weeks.
    Judges at a tournament tried to deduct points 'cause it wasn't a "real" paint job and he'd just phoned it in.
    He hit back with his entire army has a themed scheme with Mordrak, and that he should be awarded full points.
    Good times.

I'm not moving, but this is where I am, too. I *need* to clear out my old stuff, if only to make room for new stuff.
    Once you realise that most of the hobby you own is simply Sunk Cost Fallacy; You can halve your collection in a month.

I can't possibly sell these models I haven't touched in six years! I like them too much.

At some point I have to decide what to do with 10 litres of Magic cards that haven't seen daylight for 8 years
    Sell 'em.

Let's break a taboo about talking about money, shall we? I was paid £150 plus given whatever I asked for out of the left-over stuff
    150 GBP amounts to roughly ~300 AUD.
    So yeah you undersold.
    But also it's your friend; So...Mate's rates. I still feel like it's low.

I'd have done it for a lot less and a round of drinks if it would have helped out.
    Wait...It's your shout? Why didn't you say so!?
    You should've led with that.

"I'll give you 300 bucks and a case of beers."
    ...Only if you pay with the beers up front.

but at the same time I'd love for the artist industry to be better recognised and appreciated. Unfortunately I can't think of a better solution than "just have more money".
    Unfortunately, it is, at the end of the day, toy soldiers. How much are you willing to pay for toy soldiers?

This is elementary stuff, but I'm frankly embarrassed to tell you how long I've been doing this without making this small effort to save myself so much effort.
    Because I don't batch paint, any paint I used on the first model, remains out, in the order that I used them.

The dopamine bump you get from changing a line from Yellow ("assembled but not painted") to Green ("ready for table-top") is real.
    This guy gets it.
    ...Wait 'til you look up Spreadsheet Competitions.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2024-04-08 at 02:00 AM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

2. - Top - End - #1382
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    A friend of mine had 1750 Points of Ghost Knights - he painted from scratch to tournament in two weeks.
    Judges at a tournament tried to deduct points 'cause it wasn't a "real" paint job and he'd just phoned it in.
    I'm sure that AoS Realm of Death players would love to hear a justification for this.

I can't possibly sell these models I haven't touched in six years! I like them too much.
    My main problem is, sell it to who? Who in their right mind wants 30 Tactical marines converted to hold bolt pistols and chainswords, and sprayed with off-brand gloss varnish?

In my heart, I know I could get 10 bucks for the lot on eBay and be done with it, but in my head that's basically the same as throwing them in the garbage, and I'm not prepared for that yet.

Sell 'em.
    See above. ~8,000 cards gently used a decade ago, about 30 of which worth more than a dollar - would YOU like to buy 400 Innistrad commons even for a penny each?

150 GBP amounts to roughly ~300 AUD. So yeah you undersold.
    It's not like this is my side-hustle or anything. Probably will put it on my CV though, I can spin it as Freelance Project Management

This guy gets it.
    ...Wait 'til you look up Spreadsheet Competitions.
    The name of the Microsoft Excel World Champion was announced as 'interesting trivia' in my workplace after the final in January. Just to demonstrate what 'interesting' is at my place.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

3. - Top - End - #1383
    Titan in the Playground

See above. ~8,000 cards gently used a decade ago, about 30 of which worth more than a dollar - would YOU like to buy 400 Innistrad commons even for a penny each?
    Random EDH players may want some.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

4. - Top - End - #1384
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I'm sure that AoS Realm of Death players would love to hear a justification for this.
    Essentially "That's not what Grey Knights are supposed to look like."

It was a weak argument even in 5th Ed., and it's not even an argument in 10th Ed.

but in my head [selling models for less than they're worth is] basically the same as throwing them in the garbage, and I'm not prepared for that yet.
    Oh it's coming.

An FLGS might paw through the pile and give you $50 (i.e; ~20 in squiggly money) for everything remotely good. If you have a playset (4) of good, old commons or uncommons, that can be pretty good, too.

First off; At the very least it's inspired me to keep track of my own journey in creating a Chapter Master and 10 Captains.
    Without committing to anything yet (I might wait 'til next thread...If it ever gets that far):

It's surprising to me how many of my ideas are "Model [X] but give him a Deathwatch Hammer." I need to rely less on that sweet, sweet Deathwatch Hammer. It's clearly the best bit that GW has ever produced.

It also slipped my mind that regular Terminator Captains can't have Storm Shields, which means creating a "Lysander, but he doesn't suck." probably isn't going to be 1-for-1.

I don't want to rely on 3D printing for a lot of it. But...Still. Everytime I have an idea I finish with thinking "Also, I could probably get Old Mate to 3D print [Y]."
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2024-04-09 at 11:00 PM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

5. - Top - End - #1385
    Troll in the Playground

My main problem is, sell it to who? Who in their right mind wants 30 Tactical marines converted to hold bolt pistols and chainswords, and sprayed with off-brand gloss varnish?

In my heart, I know I could get 10 bucks for the lot on eBay and be done with it, but in my head that's basically the same as throwing them in the garbage, and I'm not prepared for that yet.
    I've actually just done a big clear out recently, and a lot of stuff just wound up in the bin because the time it would take to recoup any money on them would be more valuable to me than the pittance of money I'd get for them.

For various reasons I've been a bit of a hoarder when it comes to Warhammer for a good decade or so, but lately I decided '**** it, I'm never actually going to fix this broken model, or use these old janky looking chaos marines anymore, and it's not worth the effort of foisting them off on someone else' and dumped what was probably at least a large army in the bin.

It's quite liberating tbh. You suddenly have this nice clear area to fill with more Warhammer you'll never use.

More seriously, it is a good idea to just let go of stuff that's clearly outdated unless it's special to you somehow. My old metal Kharn is going nowhere even though I have his updated model, he was my warlord for a long time and holds a special place in my heart, but all the old Berzerkers he used to run with? They're junk, and went in the bin.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

6. - Top - End - #1386
    Titan in the Playground

That's kind of what I tend to do with old armies - save a few specific models that have sentimental value to me (usually the kitbashed characters, I still have Knight-Captain Demetrius) and flog the rest.

7. - Top - End - #1387

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    ....the time it would take to recoup any money on them would be more valuable to me than the pittance of money I'd get for them.
    This is it, basically. I'm not yet at the point where I'm happy to take them to a bring-and-buy table at a convention or FLGS and risking getting ripped off for the few things that are actually worth something, but also I'm WAY past the point of spending hours and hours cataloguing a crate full of cards and then spending more hours price-comparing the good-ish ones. I'm sure I'll get to that point, but right now it's just another box among a pile of boxes that are sitting under my bed out of the way.

The Warhammer will probably go the same way. At least in those cases, a lot of it is metal minis so someone might at least be able to soak them in Nitro Mors and do something with them so I can tell myself sweet lies about it not being urgent for a little bit longer.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2024-04-10 at 03:43 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1388
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The Warhammer will probably go the same way. At least in those cases, a lot of it is metal minis...
    The way I got rid of most of my stuff was:

Friday night take a few photos of the first things I can reach and put them on Facebook.
    During the weekend offers roll in.
    Monday/Tuesday send stuff - ideally getting to the buyer on Friday.
    If something is unsold for two whole weeks, it's going in the bin.

Repeat for like four weeks. Because there's no way I'm doing it all at once. I did something similar with my Magic cards; Go through a few hundred cards. Get anything salvagable. Bin the rest. Wait a week. Go through another few hundred, get anything salvagable. Bin the rest.

You didn't paint 90 Marines in one go. It took a while.
    Selling your hobby, likewise, shouldn't be done in one go.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

9. - Top - End - #1389
    Colossus in the Playground

Women can now be Custodes, and have always able to be Custodes.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

10. - Top - End - #1390

I mean, yeah. Custodes aren't Space Marines, and there's never been anything to my knowledge that says Custodes have to be male the way there is with Astartes. Watching people lose their minds over it is hilarious, though.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

11. - Top - End - #1391

Griffon

Was it also always in the lore that Custodes also do not have necks? Because the new Shield-Captain looks... Just awful.

Seriously, he looks like a Loony Tunes characters that just had an anvil dropped on his head, especially in the wide shot when he's stood next to other Custodes for comparison. Comments that I've seen online range from "Did someone set the scale wrong on CAD and it was too late to resend the .stl file?" right up to "This looks like they hired someone from outside the company who has only had Custodes described to them over the phone".

12. - Top - End - #1392
    Titan in the Playground

Was it also always in the lore that Custodes also do not have necks? Because the new Shield-Captain looks... Just awful.

Seriously, he looks like a Loony Tunes characters that just had an anvil dropped on his head, especially in the wide shot when he's stood next to other Custodes for comparison. Comments that I've seen online range from "Did someone set the scale wrong on CAD and it was too late to resend the .stl file?" right up to "This looks like they hired someone from outside the company who has only had Custodes described to them over the phone".
    There's a lot of models where when you look at them they look a bit odd, but fundamentally thats just an artefact of the chosen angle. This is not one of those models, every image i've seen and every shot in the WHC show also makes it seem extremely wide.

I'm all in favour of female custodes, as well - I hope they sell some female heads for them.

13. - Top - End - #1393
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Rogue Trader doesn't mention such a restriction, although the uniform* would have made models difficult. Plus it's explicitly a very different process to making an Astartes, and I still don't believe that Astartes are male anyway.

* Trousers, cape, helmet, and no shirt, for those without the book.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

14. - Top - End - #1394
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    there's never been anything to my knowledge that says Custodes have to be male the way there is with Astartes.
    Agreed.

Watching people lose their minds over it is hilarious, though.
    I think it's sad.

Ultimately we get to the point where (what you think is) canon is irrelevant. Which already happened right around the time Mortarion was brought into the game. If we can bring back the Primarchs - something we said we wouldn't do - we can do anything.

Some say canon was meaningless once Cawl was introduced. "Cawl did it." can justify literally any change to Space Marine canon literally anyone wants to make. If Space Marines can be changed, anything can be.

Others say it happened way back in 2008 when John Grammaticus was...A thing that is real. Who cares? Nothing matters. Have you heard about John Grammaticus? If he can exist then anything can.

Ultimately there's a few nice Stormcast models I'd like to use one day - and some of those models are ladies. If I ever get around to playing Custodes for realsies having some of those female Stormcasts for conversions is a nice plus.*

I think it looks like an unused - albeit reworked - Votann design.

Speaking of conversions. I'm struggling to come up with a concept for Imperial Fists' Victrix Guard.
    One of the only workable concepts I have is "Take regular Bladeguard but paint them like Templar Brethren." which unfortunately seems like the way to go. I might see if I can green stuff some capes or something onto them. I dunno.

Another idea I had was 3D print some Axes and some IF Storm Shields and make Primaris Phalanx Warders (you can Google that someone has already put actual Phalanx Warder parts onto some Bladeguard...I don't think it looks very good...). But as I've said previously; I know I can 3D print anything I want. If I wanted to 3D print stuff...I just would be.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

15. - Top - End - #1395

Griffon

I mean, yeah. Custodes aren't Space Marines, and there's never been anything to my knowledge that says Custodes have to be male the way there is with Astartes.
    There's ONE line in a Codex that describes how the Emperor would pick candidates to be made into Custodes - he would take "the sons" of conquered Terran factions and make them his bodyguards, they're sort-of hostages and sort-of a massive "f*** you" to the people who opposed him by brainwashing the children of his most fanatic opposers into being his most loyal protectors.

That line has been assumed to mean ONLY sons and isn't in the new Codex anyway, it's gone into the Memory Hole. The rest is just the habit of the writers who got stuck following an edict from some GW Overlord (to use Aaron Dembski-Bowden's words) who declared that no one wanted female miniatures back in the 1980's, and it was never retracted.

Frankly, I'm all for it. Someone on Reddit pointed out that it now means there are less Male Only factions in 40k (Astartes) than there are Female Only ones (Sisters of Battle, Sisters of Silence) and I couldn't be happier about it - not just the Diversity content, but for how angry that makes Twitter dorks.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear
    Another idea I had was 3D print some Axes and some IF Storm Shields and make Primaris Phalanx Warders
    My first thought was, 30k Breacher Squads mixed with some kind of veterans, or even Black Templar Sword Brethren with the crosses filed off? Give them plasma/volkite pistols instead of bolters, I personally much prefer the square-with-slots shields than the kiteshields, but availability could be pretty unreliable.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2024-04-15 at 04:33 AM.

16. - Top - End - #1396
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

That line has been assumed to mean ONLY sons and isn't in the new Codex anyway, it's gone into the Memory Hole.
    As long as people can update wikis, the line will always be around.
    There's tons of **** that isn't in the 10th Ed. Codecies, but still remains on wikis to this day.

Frankly, I'm all for it. Someone on Reddit pointed out that it now means there are less Male Only factions in 40k (Astartes) than there are Female Only ones (Sisters of Battle, Sisters of Silence)...
    First; Sisters of Battle armies are running 20-30 Crusaders and Arcos, and leaving the Sisters of Battle at home.

Second; Sisters of Silence are not a Faction, and in the new book are deeply tied to the Custodes. Custodes gain a bonus near Sisters and Sisters gain a bonus near Custodes. Neither gain anything if they don't work together (Huh...I feel like there's a lesson there...But I can't think of what it might be...). I hope that's an army rule, and not a specific Detachment rule that everyone will just ignore because it makes army building too hard, so they just take a different Detachment that doesn't have that.

Third, and most importantly; At this stage, why are there XX-only and XY-only Factions at all? Do whatever you want. Canon doesn't mean anything anymore because we know that the authors can - and will, and have - change it at the drop of an important grey plastic bit into grey carpet. Say "Cawl did it" and drop the mic.

My first thought was, 30k Breacher Squads mixed with some kind of veterans, or even Black Templar Sword Brethren with the crosses filed off?
    To be fair I could take the Victrix Guard and file all the Ultramarine stuff off.
    The question is, will it look the way I want to? And am I dextrous enough with a dremmel to make that happen?

I personally much prefer the square-with-slots shields than the kiteshields
    Agree.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2024-04-15 at 10:02 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

17. - Top - End - #1397

There's ONE line in a Codex that describes how the Emperor would pick candidates to be made into Custodes - he would take "the sons" of conquered Terran factions and make them his bodyguards, they're sort-of hostages and sort-of a massive "f*** you" to the people who opposed him by brainwashing the children of his most fanatic opposers into being his most loyal protectors.
    Contextually, taking the firstborn son of your conquered foe into service is a BIG DEAL in feudal societies. It never said that was the only source of Custodes. People trying to parlay that into Custodes being a boys only club are reading into it something that isn't there.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

18. - Top - End - #1398
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Contextually, taking the firstborn son of your conquered foe into service is a BIG DEAL in feudal societies. It never said that was the only source of Custodes. People trying to parlay that into Custodes being a boys only club are reading into it something that isn't there.
    Yeah, that act only matters as long as the inheritance laws say only the eldest son inherits. And any sane response to "He takes our eldest son as punishment leaving us without a proper heir" is "Lets just make it eldest child so we at least have an heir if he takes our son", and Emps saying "I can work with this" and starts taking eldest daughters too. If they tried to outwit him with something so simple, his ego would instantly make him work twice as hard to outplay their attempt to outwit him. Even if hes so backwards to only make it work on male kids, the instant they tried to outmanoeuvre his punishment in such a simple way he would lock himself in his lab for the next half decade to work out a way to make it work on girls too.

19. - Top - End - #1399
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

My first thought was, 30k Breacher Squads mixed with some kind of veterans, or even Black Templar Sword Brethren with the crosses filed off? Give them plasma/volkite pistols instead of bolters, I personally much prefer the square-with-slots shields than the kiteshields, but availability could be pretty unreliable.
    I just saw the upcoming Stormcast Reclusian...That's really close to what I'm looking for. I can definitely make something work with that model and some Bladeguard parts.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

20. - Top - End - #1400

Griffon

As long as people can update wikis, the line will always be around.
    There's tons of **** that isn't in the 10th Ed. Codecies, but still remains on wikis to this day.
    Custodes can be girls now.
    "No! That's not what it said in the old codex!"
    Even if that is what it said, the old Codex is old, it doesn't matter anymore.
    "Nu-uh! The old stuff is still in the lore, everyone still knows it!"
    What makes you think the old lore matters? 35 years ago, there were no Primarchs, or Tyranids, and the Ultramarines Chief Librarian was Half-Eldar, is that what we're still doing?
    "Of course it matters, but it's been added to over the last 35 years, that's all!"
    So adding to the lore is perfectly fine, just like they have added female Custodes?
    "That's not adding something new, that's changing what it used to be!"
    So adding something isn't the same as changing it? And adding Tyranids retroactively is perfectly fine but adding girls isn't because...?
    "They... I..."
    Call me crazy, but I'm starting to think that this isn't really about the game at all.

Obviously not aimed at CG, but pretty much a demonstration of the 'discourse' I have seen on Twitter. Which, incidentally, is pretty much the only place I have seen where people have a problem with this. F'in weirdos.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear
    I just saw the upcoming Stormcast Reclusian...That's really close to what I'm looking for. I can definitely make something work with that model and some Bladeguard parts.
    Definitely a good axe and cape, and maybe you can fill in the chainmail pauldron with green stuff to look more dense. With new legs and maybe a tabard, I can see it work just fine. Still not a fan of the shield, too obviously medieval/fantasy but that's just a matter of taste easily resolved.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2024-04-16 at 08:00 AM.

21. - Top - End - #1401
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Call me crazy, but I'm starting to think that this isn't really about the game at all.
    Custodes can be ladies now!
    Wait...You have the Codex? What are the Detachments? Did Custodes get nerfed into the ground?
    In the old Codex it says the sons of Terrans.
    No. Yeah. Fine. I got that. What are the Relics?
    That isn't like what it was before.
    I currently have 15 Wardens, which are the current meta. Did they get nerfed? Is what I currently have, trash?
    I can't believe that they could do this.
    Yeah. Something about Primaris Marines. Nobody cares anymore.

Which, incidentally, [Twitter] is pretty much the only place I have seen where people have a problem with this. F'in weirdos.
    Breaking news; A Grognard thinks canon still matters after 7th Ed.

A Scout goes Tactical or Devastator or Assault => Veteran.
    A Scout goes Tactical => Devastator or Assault => Veteran.
    A Scout goes Devastator => Assault => Tactical => Veteran... Wait...What?
    A Scout goes Vanguard => [Scene Deleted] => Veteran.

I hate that every 40K...Place...Has to have their say on this "issue" I don't even care about. Can someone please talk about how they're getting rid of Kaptain Badrukk and his sweet hat? Even what little levity that makes sense, that remains of Orks they're taking away. Can someone please tell me if Custodian Wardens are going to ruin the meta for the entire edition? Can someone please tell me if Sisters of Silence are viable against an opponent's army that contains no Psykers? Let's say I want to get ahead of the Codex. What units should I pre-order? What units should I buy off the shelf before my competition (i.e; Others in my meta) gets there first?

Orks are coming out. Aren't Orks the fun ones? Is literally nobody talking about the fun ones...Huh. I guess that's the community now. Everyone's just mad all the time. Well, social media does actively incentivise anger. So that's cool.

Definitely a good axe and cape, and maybe you can fill in the chainmail pauldron with green stuff to look more dense. With new legs and maybe a tabard, I can see it work just fine. Still not a fan of the shield, too obviously medieval/fantasy but that's just a matter of taste easily resolved.
    Good news! The Shield is the part that appears to be the easiest bit to change. The model appears to have two loadouts which means the Shield is optional...Which means the Shield comes off.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2024-04-16 at 10:07 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

22. - Top - End - #1402

Griffon

Did Custodes get nerfed into the ground?
    I haven't paid a lot of attention to it, but the few sources I have seen may have used the word "unplayable".

Early days, vague details, biased reporting, etc, but... Not the first time, either. At least it's not the same rumours as for Grey Knights...
    Last edited by Wraith; 2024-04-16 at 11:14 AM.

23. - Top - End - #1403
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I watched Auspex Tactics and he went through and most of it was a few army rules got removed or weakened, the detachments a little lacklustre or poorly planned, and most critically their resistance to Devastating Wounds was removed. It generally seemed like a pretty solid down turn along with the fact points aren't released yet which means they might be dropping points costs for Custodes turning the army into more of a Horde. Which as a model company that wants people to buy models, having a single faction you can build 2000 points of with like 6 boxes, makes sense they would do that.

But at the end he seemed to make a nasty potshot at the female custodes like they were the cause of the bad rules. And it made me think if there would be nearly as much foofarah if it had been a case of power creep at the time of getting female custodes. Cause right now the people who don't like the nerfs and reworking of the rules are getting lost in the crowd of angry losers.

24. - Top - End - #1404

Index Custodes were coming from a place of extreme power, and players never take well to even thoroughly needed debuffs. We shall see.

25. - Top - End - #1405
    Ogre in the Playground

The Talons, the joint sisters and custodes detachment is probably decent.

Their index detachment got gutted but is probably still playable.

The other two detachments are pretty bad.

Assuming that devastating wounds protection is errata'd into the codex in Talons and Shield host they'll probably be playable but much worse. Survivability has gone down across the board and the real kicker is that most of their hq options have gotten much worse aside from the Allarus Captain.

There are some neat combos you can build around, I'm a fan of unshootable fights first vigilators and bonus strength and pen guard shooting twenty times, but they're much more vulnerable to good shooting themselves now. They probably still punk melee armies even without fight first.

Wardens are still the best unit in the book by a good margin.
    Last edited by DrakeRaids; 2024-04-16 at 07:43 PM.
    Thought of the Week: "Bright is the nova confined in the dark."
    =I= ONLY A FOOL CLAIMS TO KNOW EVERYTHING BUT FEAR NOTHING =I=

26. - Top - End - #1406
    Titan in the Playground

Can someone please talk about how they're getting rid of Kaptain Badrukk and his sweet hat?
    I don't play 40k anymore (I've officially switched to OPR) but I vaguely still pay attention to the goings on and what in the sweet merry **** is going on there? First, they took away Zogwort (yes its been like a decade, I'm still grieving for my squig laser boy), then they took away my Flash Gitz armor (yes I still find that dumb) and now they take away Badrukk.

Why? Just why? Not all of us want to be a damn Goff or a Bad Moon and just spam freaking Gazghkull. Some of us used to like Flash Gitz and other silly things. Hell, silly things was why I played Orks.
    Last edited by Blackhawk748; 2024-04-16 at 08:05 PM.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #1407
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I haven't paid a lot of attention to it, but the few sources I have seen may have used the word "unplayable".
    Quote Originally Posted by Saambell View Post
    I watched Auspex Tactics and he went through and most of it was a few army rules got removed or weakened, the detachments a little lacklustre or poorly planned, and most critically their resistance to Devastating Wounds was removed. It generally seemed like a pretty solid down turn
    Index Custodes were coming from a place of extreme power, and players never take well to even thoroughly needed debuffs. We shall see.
    For me, the fluff has always been the easiest thing to ignore. Your Dudes has always been a staple of 40K. I like what I like, and I can ignore what I don't like (I can also ignore what you like, too). But I will always concede that what I don't like still exists (...Tor Garadon has the personality of wet cardboard and I had to give him a personality myself).

What actually matters, is the buff/nerf cycle, because that's actually where consumers are intended to spend their money.

I kind of feel like the culture war **** is just a distraction from just how bad the Custodes got nerfed.
    I also kind of feel like anyone talking about the culture war **** doesn't actually play the game.
    If they don't play the game, they weren't buying models anyway.
    **** 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeRaids View Post
    The Talons, the joint sisters and custodes detachment is probably decent.
    What worries me is that it's just "decent." It's a Detachment that encourages a diverse (in the actual sense of the word) army, and encourages units working together, and the fact that it's a pain in the arse to build and play probably wont be overcome by "It's just decent."

Work together for fun and profit! ...Just kidding. Scratch that idea, it sucks.

Wardens are still the best unit in the book by a good margin.
    "Buy 15 Wardens and call it a day" still strongest army, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Saambell View Post
    Cause right now the people who don't like the nerfs and reworking of the rules are getting lost in the crowd of angry losers.
    IMO; The people who play the game are getting lost in the crowd that don't.

I haven't bought anything since 7th Ed., and now I still wont be buying anything. Take that, GW!

The vast majority of the 40K content I see is simply regurgitated Wiki articles set to backdrops of stolen and AI art.

I've said it before; I think most people who are "into" 40K in 202x are enthusiasts. They like the idea of 40K, but wont actually fork out money for the product.
    ...Something, something, comic books.
    ...Something, something, D&D.

I've said it before; I think GW's best move is likely to pivot to an IP/Licensing warehouse. Something, something, Marvel. Something, something D&D.
    The "Lore" channels (i.e; Regurgitated wiki articles) get significantly more views than the actual gaming channels.
    Ogryn Story by Warrior Tier might just be the best thing I've ever heard.

We know Henry Cavill has a TV show coming.
    We know Henry Cavill likes Custodes.

Female Custodes (by neccessity) massively increases the casting and story choices required for a TV show. If you told me that this was a setup to foreshadow a casting choice for the TV show...I wouldn't bat an eye. Of course it would be. But I'm not saying it is.
    I'm saying...Yeah. No ****. Of course there are female Custodes because who cares?

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    Some of us used to like Flash Gitz and other silly things. Hell, silly things was why I played Orks.
    The...Silliness...Of Orks is one of the aforementioned things I try to ignore. I see the appeal of purple camouflage. "Orks don't understand human culture." Sure. I get it. You copy something without understanding the meaning behind it. Kultur- Kultural Appropproo- Kultural App- ...We took your stuff.
    But also Snikrot can do a Splinter Cell, and Kommandos exist.

The stupidity of Orks I can't ignore, but thankfully most of the stupidity of Orks exited stage left when it was revealed in 4th Ed., that Orks are essentially Necrons' arch enemy, and for that to be true some of the dumber **** had to be removed. Red Ones don't go faster. There's actually an explanation for that.

There's a disconnect between Orks are silly and fun but also an existential threat to the Galaxy (up to and including having Orks that can 1v1 Primarchs...And win) that I find that most authors are not able to write.

"I'm Kaptain Badrukk and I have the biggest and best guns and I will murder you and take all your stuff to build more guns and better guns. Oh. And I'm gonna do it while wearing this neat hat that I found. I don't know...I just like it."
    I can get behind that.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2024-04-16 at 11:18 PM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

28. - Top - End - #1408
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Maybe it would help if you participated in the Painting thread here:

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...n-Gaming/page2

Having something to post up for others to appreciate can be really helpful to just get going.
    *This Space Available*

29. - Top - End - #1409

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    Why? Just why? Not all of us want to be a damn Goff or a Bad Moon and just spam freaking Gazghkull. Some of us used to like Flash Gitz and other silly things. Hell, silly things was why I played Orks.
    If any faction has an image problem, it's definitely Orks. Maybe we shouldn't go back to the days where they wore furry pink parasites on their chins as false beards, but it's be nice if they had something else apart from "walking scrapyard". Hell, I'd be totally down for the walking scrapyard look if they really leaned into it and went whole hog with the idea - There's a lot you can do to have a 'serious' faction that nonetheless has a consistent gimmick.

At least they got rid of the actual-nazi-inspired Stormboyz models. That took longer than was really necessary...

30. - Top - End - #1410
    Titan in the Playground

If any faction has an image problem, it's definitely Orks. Maybe we shouldn't go back to the days where they wore furry pink parasites on their chins as false beards, but it's be nice if they had something else apart from "walking scrapyard". Hell, I'd be totally down for the walking scrapyard look if they really leaned into it and went whole hog with the idea - There's a lot you can do to have a 'serious' faction that nonetheless has a consistent gimmick.
    They used to. Every old vehicle looked cobbled and slapped together. The new stuff looks too clean and consistent for the overall look.

And honestly, is hair squigs really that weird for 40k? Are Orks wanting hair that odd? 40k has a planet where the people need to wear birdcages on their heads so leaf parasites can't mind control them.

Like, sometimes the Grimderp was on purpose and the point. 40k taken too seriously loses half the fun and appeal of the setting. Its supposed to be so thoroughly, stonefaced, serious about how insanely edgy and over the top it is cuz that's the joke. The Orks were just that all the time. One second we're laughing at them because one has a pink squig beard and then the next you're horrified because they are basically a giant toddler and you're a barbie doll they want to screw the head off of.

The dissonance there is intentional and its part of what made me like them.
    Show