New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 35 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: The LA Assignment Thread XII: the LA-bors of Heracles

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    It's a mindless creature with psionics, which is pretty nonsensical in my mind. But, it's just unusual for a Vermin to have any kind of magical abilities at all: most templates that would grant a vermin a magical ability would also change it into a Magical Beast, so it feels like the zap crab should just be a Magical Beast, instead of a Vermin.
    Maybe it's because I've been reading so much 3.5 Dark Sun stuff, but I don't really have a problem with that. Dark Sun is chock full of animals and vermin with psionic powers, and some of them (and some psionic undead and constructs) are mindless. This could be a creature living there (would be quite rare; Dark Sun doesn't have a lot of sea left).

2. - Top - End - #692
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Remuko View Post
    a quick google search tells me theyre called a "cast" or a "consortium".
    You know, I think I've heard "cast of crabs" before. But most terms of venery (e.g., "murder of crows" or "parliament of owls") probably aren't "real" (i.e., they probably weren't ever in common use), so I feel like it's probably more accurate to say that there isn't a "proper" word for a group of crabs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzardok View Post
    Maybe it's because I've been reading so much 3.5 Dark Sun stuff, but I don't really have a problem with that. Dark Sun is chock full of animals and vermin with psionic powers, and some of them (and some psionic undead and constructs) are mindless. This could be a creature living there (would be quite rare; Dark Sun doesn't have a lot of sea left).
    Dark Sun is a pretty big outlier for things like that. It's also unusual in using the Animal type for a lot of fantastical creatures. Most monsters of the Animal type are actual animals that exist in the real world, or are at least closely based on real-world animals (e.g., the Eberron dinosaurs). Dark Sun throws that tradition out completely, so it's not surprising that it would also buck typing trends in other ways.

But, regardless of whether or not you have a problem with it, it is pretty unusual, and it's one of several things about this monster that are just slightly odd. So, it just feels like an oddball monster to me.

3. - Top - End - #693
    Troll in the Playground

Gajusian Crawler

A surprisingly good fit actually.

Size & Type: Huge Vermin
    Space/Reach: 15'/15'
    HD: 10
    Speed: 30', Climb 20'
    Ability Scores: Str +16, Dex +4, Con +4, Int -, Wis +0, Cha -8 - Net +16, one penalty
    Natural Armor: 8
    Natural Weapons: One Primary Bite (2d6 plus poison) or Primary Slam (1d6)
    Skill List: Climb, Hide (+8 racial), Move Silently (+4 racial), Spot (+4 racial)
    Body Shape: Spider
    Speech (Languages): No
    CR: 6
    WotC LA: -
    Our LA: __

Sonic Resistance 10, as well as both Power Attack and Improved Bull Rush as bonus feats. Not terrible to start with, aside from being a vermin.

The poison from your bite deals 1d8 Strength damage for both initial and secondary damage. Between the higher damage and the poison, I'm not sure why the slam attack is even there since you have to pick between the two.

We have yet another 3.0 Psionic creature, meaning attack/defense modes. As for parsable abilities, you have at-will Chameleon, Control Light, and Create Sound, as well as 3/day Nondetection, all at ML10.

When in combat, the psionic crystals on your back begin to vibrate, generating an almost inaudible hum. Creatures other than Sonic Crawlers within 60'must make a Con-based will save each round to avoid taking a -2 to attacks and saves from the distraction. Casters an Manifesters have to make a 15+Spell/Power Level Concentration check to do their thing as well.

Finally, you can make webs up to eight times a day, trowing them up to 50' as a touch attack to entangle a creature of up to Large size. Creatures caught in the web must make either a DC28 Escape Artist check or a DC34 Strength check to escape. You can also lay them as traps, requiring a DC20 spot check to avoid. If a creature moves (or is moved, such as with your Bull Rush) onto a web, they are treated as if you hit them with it, though they may get a +5 to their checks to escape if they can grab something to pull themselves toward as leverage. The webs can also be destroyed, having 14 HP and the rather odd DR of 5/fire. 3.0...

Also, you have enough psionic crystals attached to your hide to make a suit of medium armor.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

4. - Top - End - #694
    Titan in the Playground

Well, if it’s medium armor then at least you’ll be more use to your party alive then.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

5. - Top - End - #695
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Can you stop making Psionic Vermin and then giving them bonus feats to compensate for their mindlessness? My Lolth, you have a type for that! It's called Magical Beast (Psionic)!

Oh yeah, and LA -0. If it had actual good stats, maybe, but these are worse than a brown bear's. Sonic Hum is an interesting ability (though making a Will save each turn for each creature on the battlefield will get old REALLY fast), but the fact it's unfriendly means your party will hate you as much as the opponent. A damn shame too, since its Web is actually good. A touch attack, basically at will, that entangles and immobilizes creatures? What's not to love? But no hand, only one useable natural attack (strong as it is) and low intelligence do not leave much to interpretation, especially with such irrelevant PLAs.

I like monsters with several names like that. It hints at a story, a scholar naming them then people using another name, or people from two different countries with different languages that both encounter the same monster. The tralusk, the ibixian, now the gajusian, and all the devils... It gives a sense of interconnected world.
    Resurrecting the Negative LA thread, comments and discussion are very welcome!
    Nice find! Have a cookie!
    Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! Come judge single-strike entries!
    Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

6. - Top - End - #696
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    Dark Sun is a pretty big outlier for things like that. It's also unusual in using the Animal type for a lot of fantastical creatures. Most monsters of the Animal type are actual animals that exist in the real world, or are at least closely based on real-world animals (e.g., the Eberron dinosaurs). Dark Sun throws that tradition out completely, so it's not surprising that it would also buck typing trends in other ways.
    I'd disagree with that. Other settings also invent new animals, like Faerûn's rothe, just to a lesser extent. I'd argue that being fantastic is not an argument against animal, as long as it is something that could theoretically exist in our world. And most of the Dark Sun animals are (if you take away their psionics, which, fair, in Dark Sun practically everything is psionic) normal animals, just weird looking and adapted to a very hostile enviroment.

But, regardless of whether or not you have a problem with it, it is pretty unusual, and it's one of several things about this monster that are just slightly odd. So, it just feels like an oddball monster to me.
    Yeah, that's fair. It is odd, even with my heightened tolerance for odd stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Debatra View Post
    We have yet another 3.0 Psionic creature, meaning attack/defense modes. As for parsable abilities, you have at-will Chameleon, Control Light, and Create Sound, as well as 3/day Nondetection, all at ML10.
    I suggest the following psi-like abilities for 3.5:
    At will - Chameleon, Control Light, Create Sound, Empty Mind* (+6 to Will saves); 3/day - Escape Detection, Mental Barrier* (+5 deflection to AC, 2 rounds); 1/day - Psychic Crush (DC 15). Manifester Level 10. Save DC is based on Wis.

*Augmentations already included.

Edit: Y'know, I think I should gather all those conversion and collate them in my homebrew thread. Or make a concerted effort to convert everything and publish that. Hmm...

The webs can also be destroyed, having 14 HP and the rather odd DR of 5/fire. 3.0...
    I think that's not a 3.0-ism, but the result of someone for whom 3.5 is very new not getting terminology right.

Quote Originally Posted by Beni-Kujaku View Post
    Sonic Hum is an interesting ability (though making a Will save each turn for each creature on the battlefield will get old REALLY fast), but the fact it's unfriendly means your party will hate you as much as the opponent.
    Yeah, it would be nice if that ability either had a "once you fail the save, you take the penalty until end of encounter/you don't hear it anymore/etc." rider or a "if you succeed your save, you are immune for the rest of the day" rider, preferably both.

7. - Top - End - #697
    Firbolg in the Playground

Can you stop making Psionic Vermin and then giving them bonus feats to compensate for their mindlessness? My Lolth, you have a type for that! It's called Magical Beast (Psionic)!
    "And here, you can see the creature's armour consisting of the psionic crystals so commonly produced by the bodies of real-world arachnids."

I'd disagree with that. Other settings also invent new animals, like Faerûn's rothe
    And let's not forget the Chordevoc, the birdy with the blindsense beard! (I like birds.)

8. - Top - End - #698
    Titan in the Playground

Haven't been around for a while, but I had some suggestions/requests for the archive thread:

Spoiler
    Show
    First is collapsing the entries for dragons (and other things with multiple advanced versions) once they hit the threshold for -0. E.g.
    Monster name Estimated LA Estimated ECL
    White Dragon, Wyrmling +1 4
    White Dragon, Very Young or older -0 6~36
    Right now the sheer length of the dragon blocks makes the Monster Manual harder to navigate while not providing much useful information.

Second is listing the individual LAs for Past Life, or even splitting the DMG2 post into "NPC Unique Abilities (Past Life)" and "NPC Unique Abilities (Other)" folders. Since taken individually, Past Lives make up over 1/3 of the abilities in the book.

And the last one is including a list of things that can be used to make monsters more playable, like the various awaken spells or the Ghostly Grasp feat - things that are generally assumed to be in use when making ratings. Mentioning this because I just remembered that "The Calling" (Book of Vile Darkness p32) exists, a mechanic exclusive to evil monsters which provides them with free weapon and armor proficiencies (plus some other things) and is handy for meeting prereqs.
    If this is too much to fit in the OP, then it could be a link to another thread.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2023-07-30 at 09:29 PM.

9. - Top - End - #699
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

This sonic spider is -0 LA for me.
    If you could make anything and everything welcome to the Zinc Saucier XLV: Figaro

My competition's medals.

Spoiler: For purposes of clarity
    Show
    1109 is September, 11 - my birthday.

10. - Top - End - #700
    Firbolg in the Playground

Easy LA -0 to me. Web is interesting, their hum is cool but party-unfriendly, and they have a few other nice features, but they're not worth 10 Vermin RHD.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

11. - Top - End - #701
    Titan in the Playground

*incidental trombone music*

Yeah, LA -0, easy decision. Next monster?
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

12. - Top - End - #702
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, that's a pretty clear -0.

Show

It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

13. - Top - End - #703
    Troll in the Playground

Size & Type: Small Magical Beast (Psionic)
    Space/Reach: 5'/5'
    HD: 3, 4 (Medium), 7 (Large)
    Speed: 40', Fly 70' (Average)
    Ability Scores: Str -4, Dex +6, Con +6, Int -4, Wis +0, Cha -4 - Net +0, three penalties
    Natural Armor: 5
    Natural Weapons: Two Primary Claws (1d4), one Secondary Bite (1d6), one secondary Gore (1d6)
    Skill List: Hide, Listen, Spot
    Body Shape: Winged Humanoid-ish
    Speech (Languages): Yes (Common, Terran)
    CR: 4
    Our LA: __

There's also an aquatic version that uses their wings to propel themselves through water at their fly speed. It's not clear if they can still fly or suffer any other downside for this, but feel free to assume this is strictly better if only in a niche way. I doubt adding a swim speed is going to be the straw that bumps this up a level.

Similarly to their stone cousins, Crystal Gargoyles have no need to eat or breathe, and can hold perfectly still (requiring a DC20 Spot check to notice they're alive). These are also immune to cold, have DR 15/magic (whcih is actually still relevant at this level), and Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat. They get a +4 racial bonus to Hide checks when concealed against stone, and a +10 bonus when concealed in water or against ice.

You have Charm Person and Inflict Pain as once/day PLAs, at ML3. You also have the once/day SLA to unleash a burst of light from your crystal body, treated as a CL3 Color Spray, but in a 40' radius burst instead of a 15' cone. Unfortunately, the save DC is based on your penalized Charisma. Still potentially handy though.

Show

14. - Top - End - #704
    Titan in the Playground

Huh, could be a nice chassis for a rogue-type. Four natural attacks and a good Dex bonus.

Ooh, and I just realized this qualifies it for the Rapidstrike line as well.
    Last edited by danielxcutter; 2023-08-09 at 09:48 PM.

15. - Top - End - #705
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I like the small touch that if you advance them to Medium size, they gain the exact same ability scores as the regular 3.0 gargoyle. Since it's so clearly based on the previous gargoyle, I also think that the DR 15/+1 should be updated to DR 10/Magic, like the regular gargoyle.

This also make me realize that the Gargoyle was a Magical Beast in 3.0 and changed to Monstrous Humanoid only in 3.5. I guess it wasn't "magical" enough. And in general, a lot more things were updated than I expected. The gargoyle's flying speed went from 75 to 60ft, its walking speed from 45 to 40, its strength went from 11 to 15, and of course the whole type changed. Makes you wonder why when most creatures got almost no change.

In the end, an advanced crystal gargoyle (4 RHD) compared to a 3.5 gargoyle has better speed, -4 Str, +1 natural armor, Weapon Finesse, Cold Immunity, charm person and inflict pain as PLAs (both not bad abilities to have, but the 1/day hurts a bit, and they will become outdated quickly. Maybe Practiced Manifester?), and that weird color spray effect (good but unfriendly and becomes less strong with time). And it's a Magical Beast, which changes next to nothing except slightly more HP. That seems enough for +0, if a bit low on stats. The small version has even worse ability scores, but they are very well positioned, with penalties to your dump stats and bonuses to the important ones, with even better AC and to-hit than the big version. As was already said, this is definitely rogue material (which also offsets the hit to Int), and if I'm not completely convinced I'd play this at +1, I think it's slightly too strong for +0. LA+1
    Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! Come judge single-strike entries!
    3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

16. - Top - End - #706
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Debatra View Post
    There's also an aquatic version that uses their wings to propel themselves through water at their fly speed. It's not clear if they can still fly or suffer any other downside for this, but feel free to assume this is strictly better if only in a niche way. I doubt adding a swim speed is going to be the straw that bumps this up a level.
    As the non-crystal kapaocinth loses its fly speed I'd assume the same goes for this one too.
    I'm also not sure wether it should retain Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat; in 3.0 number of feats for monsters was calculated differently, and by the 3.5 rules it's missing one feat. If I were to convert it, I'd just change Weapon Finesse from a bonus feat to a regular feat and be done with it.

I like the small touch that if you advance them to Medium size, they gain the exact same ability scores as the regular 3.0 gargoyle. Since it's so clearly based on the previous gargoyle, I also think that the DR 15/+1 should be updated to DR 10/Magic, like the regular gargoyle.

This also make me realize that the Gargoyle was a Magical Beast in 3.0 and changed to Monstrous Humanoid only in 3.5. I guess it wasn't "magical" enough.
    Maybe. Or maybe it wasn't beast-like enough; I at least imagine gargoyles usually as humanoid in their basic shape.

And in general, a lot more things were updated than I expected. The gargoyle's flying speed went from 75 to 60ft, its walking speed from 45 to 40, its strength went from 11 to 15, and of course the whole type changed. Makes you wonder why when most creatures got almost no change.
    I personally am of the opinion that those changes should be included in this creature when converting it to 3.5.

17. - Top - End - #707
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

It's LA +1 for me.
    If you could make anything and everything welcome to the Zinc Saucier XLV: Figaro

My competition's medals.

Show

18. - Top - End - #708
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Maybe. Or maybe it wasn't beast-like enough; I at least imagine gargoyles usually as humanoid in their basic shape.
    What about Bronx?

On a more serious note, a lot of medieval weren't humanoid so I think that was where they were coming from in 3.0.

As far as Crystal Gargoyle goes I will go with +0 just like the standard gargoyle, with a -4 the Cha it will take some decent investing to make Charm Person, Color Spray, and Inflict Pain useful so I am not seeing an argument for those being enough to bump this up to +1 from +0.

19. - Top - End - #709
    Halfling in the Playground

The Crystal Gargoyle gets a +0 from me; not actively bad, and it has some neat tricks, but said "neat tricks" are tied to a bad CHA save, so.

___

Sooooo. My brother found something potentially interesting. There are actually three Call of Cthulhu D20 online monsters hanging out: the Rat-Thing (from the Jenkin Lives article), the Shantak, and the Y'golonac (both of which are from Gods and Monsters). While this isn't 3.5 D&D, exactly, they are first-party and explicitly D&D-compatible.

EDIT: And we just found four more! The Spider of Leng, Star-Spawn of Cthulhu, Terror From Beyond (these three are from here), and Azathoth (from here).

EDIT x2: And for fully-fledged 3.5 stuff, here's the online Sylvan Stag.
    Last edited by Frostmoon; 2023-09-14 at 06:02 PM.
    Hello hello!! I like 3x nonsense and cats~!!!! >:3

I somehow managed silver in Monster Mash V and Iron Chef CXXV, and bronze in Monster Mash VI!!!

20. - Top - End - #710
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Sylvan Stag is good find, but CoC d20 monsters are slightly not. Yeah, them are great, but it's different d20 system, not D&D 3.x

I'm not sure if we should examine them as part of this thread.
    Last edited by loky1109; 2023-09-17 at 06:04 AM.

My competition's medals.

Show

21. - Top - End - #711
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Could we move on to the next monster?
    Last edited by Beni-Kujaku; 2023-09-22 at 06:54 AM.

22. - Top - End - #712
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Considering flight, 4 natural attacks and +6 to Dex and Con, you can make really great Dex based fighter with Ardent or Psywar (no Wis penalty).

It's LA+1 for me as well. The Cha based SLA with -4 to Cha prevent it from being +2 to me.

23. - Top - End - #713
    Troll in the Playground

Sorry about the delay, folks.

+1 - Beni-Kujaku, loky1109, Paragon
    +0 - liquidformat, Frostmoon

+1 edges out. Mutant Gargoyle is next.

Show

24. - Top - End - #714
    Troll in the Playground

Mutant Four-Armed Gargoyle

PDF Download Link

Size & Type: Large Humanoid (Earth)
    Space/Reach: 10'/10'
    HD: 21
    Speed: 40', Fly 80' (Average)
    Ability Scores: Str +20, Dex -2, Con +10, Int -2, Wis +0, Cha +0 - Net +26, two penalties
    Natural Armor: 23
    Natural Weapons: Four Primary Claws (2d8), one Secondary Bite (2d6), one Secondary Gore (2d6)
    Skill List: Hide, Listen, Spot (+2 racial for all three)
    Body Shape: Four-armed winged humanoid
    Speech (Languages): Not specified, but the one in the PDF has a parchment with written runes.
    CR: 11
    Our LA: -0

Hey, it's been a while since we've had an Epic monster.

It has DR 10/-, the usual Gargoyle Freeze ability, and its racial Hide bonus increases to +8 when hiding against stone. If it hits with at least two of its claws, it can Rend for an additional 2d8+(StrModx2).

And that's it. See you guys tomorrow.

Show

25. - Top - End - #715
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Yeah, -0. Next.

Cool monster though.
    Screaming defiance with the last breath

It would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated.

My judgments and medals!

The Iron Chef Optimization spreadsheet!

Song, Sword, and Sorcery: my 5E homebrew half-caster bard (Version 2.0!)

26. - Top - End - #716
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Why in the Nine Hells is this a Humanoid? Gargoyles are either Magical Beasts or Monstrous Humanoids. Which makes this creature the single best choice as a form for something like an Ogre Mage, a Slaad or a Rakshasa. The picture is nice, I imagine it's from the 1E Tomb of Horrors and reproduced in the 3E version?

Obviously -0, of course. The monster itself is a as bland mechanically as its encounter design is. And yes, we're talking "when the PCs enter the room, the gargoyle in suspended animation in the middle animates and attacks them. It has a collar of gems to reward them for the fight.".

27. - Top - End - #717
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

With 21 HD answer is obvious - -0.

My competition's medals.

Show

28. - Top - End - #718
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Why in the Nine Hells is this a Humanoid?
    I did wonder about that, it's the main reason I said it was a cool monster.
    Screaming defiance with the last breath

It would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated.

My judgments and medals!

The Iron Chef Optimization spreadsheet!

Song, Sword, and Sorcery: my 5E homebrew half-caster bard (Version 2.0!)

29. - Top - End - #719
    Ogre in the Playground

21 RHD? LA-0, no need to dwell more upon it.
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

30. - Top - End - #720
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

LA -0 and next !!!!