New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Baldur's Gate 3 II: The Urge for a Second Playthrough

Quote Originally Posted by Errorname View Post
    Spoiler: Bhaalspawn
    Show
    Considering that you can play as one and that Orin can potentially be the main character's sister, no they are not pretty much irrelevant to the game's plot. They can be depending on how you play through a Tav run, but they're an integral part of the Dark Urge plot.
    Show
    That is an optional sub-plot that only happens for one particular version of the main character. That is not the main plot at all. The main plot doesn't care about Bhaalspawn in any way, and would happen without them basically the same as it does with them.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

2. - Top - End - #302
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Show
    That is an optional sub-plot that only happens for one particular version of the main character. That is not the main plot at all. The main plot doesn't care about Bhaalspawn in any way, and would happen without them basically the same as it does with them.
    Show
    If taken the Dark Urge and their drama becomes the personal quest of the main character, and any irrelevance in the rest of the game is because so much of the stuff concerning Bhaalspawn was siloed into the Dark Urge plot

3. - Top - End - #303
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    If taken the Dark Urge and their drama becomes the personal quest of the main character, and any irrelevance in the rest of the game is because so much of the stuff concerning Bhaalspawn was siloed into the Dark Urge plot
    That amounts to a rephrasing of what I just said, so not sure what you think your point is there.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

4. - Top - End - #304
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

So I was burning through stacks of lockpicks in the counting house (as you do)
    Spoiler
    Show

and I broke into Gortash's Vault, I think it's Vault no 6, and he's got a book there.

Apparently when they were raiding the demon vault, they found the Crown alongside a book outlining the whole scheme to use the crown on an elder brain and create a tamed cult of pseudo-mind flayers. Gortash didn't even come up with it, but the next words in his diary are "This was a scheme so brilliant only I, the Chosen of Bane, could have come up with it!" and I find that hilarious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

5. - Top - End - #305
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    The way to be evil and oppose the Absolute is to ignore the Tiefling/Grove crisis entirely.
    That's kind of what I mean - there are good ways to engage with the grove, and stupid-evil ways to engage with the grove, but if you want to roleplay evil + smart, your only option is not to engage. There's nothing interesting there for that kind of character, you're just skipping a chunk of the game.

Same is kind of true in Act 2, you can either help the good guys or blindly follow along with the guys who you know are responsible for the tadpoles, and who you have no reason to believe would help you get rid of yours.

There's even an 'evil but not crazy' option that gets dangled in front of you early in act 1 (Raphael), but if you say 'yes' right away he essentially says 'no, wait til Act 3'.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

6. - Top - End - #306
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LCP View Post
    That's kind of what I mean - there are good ways to engage with the grove, and stupid-evil ways to engage with the grove, but if you want to roleplay evil + smart, your only option is not to engage. There's nothing interesting there for that kind of character, you're just skipping a chunk of the game.

Same is kind of true in Act 2, you can either help the good guys or blindly follow along with the guys who you know are responsible for the tadpoles, and who you have no reason to believe would help you get rid of yours.

There's even an 'evil but not crazy' option that gets dangled in front of you early in act 1 (Raphael), but if you say 'yes' right away he essentially says 'no, wait til Act 3'.
    Well I mean, smart evil avoids danger if possible. Smart evil doesn't slaughter for the sake of it, or entangle themselves with stupid evil people if they can help it. Heck, Gortash says as much about Orin in act 3.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

7. - Top - End - #307

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    That amounts to a rephrasing of what I just said, so not sure what you think your point is there.
    I guess we have different standards for 'irrelevant', because to my mind if something has a potential game long presence and a dedicated possible ending it's not irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by LCP View Post
    It's a shame, because I think you could have very easily made a version of that quest for an evil player that didn't cut the Tiefling refugee plot short. They're going to end up in Moonrise Towers if you save them anyways

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Well I mean, smart evil avoids danger if possible. Smart evil doesn't slaughter for the sake of it, or entangle themselves with stupid evil people if they can help it. Heck, Gortash says as much about Orin in act 3.
    Funny for him to start ranting about smart evil, since Gortash's entire plan is absurdly dangerous and basically doomed to failure even if everything goes right.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Funny for him to start ranting about smart evil, since Gortash's entire plan is absurdly dangerous and basically doomed to failure even if everything goes right.
    The version they end up enacting is somewhat different than what they started with. Gortash originally made the plan with

Spoiler
    Show
    The Dark Urge

but they were taken out, and replaced by Orrin, who was a substantially less stable member of the trio. Instead of a unified alliance who all got along, you had a grumpy old man, a crazy mass murderer and a tyrant with no control over the scheme by himself.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

Well I mean, smart evil avoids danger if possible.
    There's nothing evil about that. It's just the smart part.

My point here is about the options the writing chooses to provide in ways to play the game, rather than just skipping bits of it. The game has lots of sidequests (e.g. Ethel) which offer genuinely interesting opportunities for an evil character to be evil without just skipping them. It's just the main quest that trips over by tying the 'evil' options so strongly to the Absolute cult (which any character with a sense of self preservation or who values their own free will has no reason to help).
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

10. - Top - End - #310

RedKnightGirl

Instead of a unified alliance who all got along, you had a grumpy old man, a crazy mass murderer and a tyrant with no control over the scheme by himself.
    That’s the exact same dynamic as the original trio except with a slightly more unstable mass murderer

11. - Top - End - #311
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

That’s the exact same dynamic as the original trio except with a slightly more unstable mass murderer
    Gortash, at least, seems to be under the impression that the original trio had self control that Orin lacks.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Titan in the Playground

He's wrong though.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ketheric will tell you he plans to betray the others. Durge has a diary entry you can find promising Bhaal they'll still kill Gortash even though they respect him
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

13. - Top - End - #313
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm pretty sure the plan was ALWAYS for everybody to betray everybody else.

I think Gortash is less upset about Orin trying to betray him than he is about her making his life difficult and continuing to fail the murder marshmallow test rather than being a good co-conspirator and paitiently waiting for an opportunity to betray him.
    Last edited by BRC; 2023-10-18 at 10:51 AM.
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

14. - Top - End - #314

It's legitimately ridiculous/infuriating. I could understand it if she was a complete jerk/unrepentant murderer with no redeeming value, like Morinth from Mass Effect 2 or something, but she's not that at all. She's actually a good (well, amenable anyway) victim of the Absolute with surprising amounts of depth, who did her best to survive without having the protection we all take for granted. Even right after meeting her, she expresses remorse for the brutal acts the Absolute made her perform.
    Eh, her main complaint is that the Absolute forced her to do it. She doesn't really have any qualms about performing evil provided her goals merit it. When she asks you why you slaughtered the Grove, the only answer she seriously objects to is the one saying you did it for the lulz. But every reason that was goal related gets either her mechanical +approval or "Heh, yeah..."

I liked my run with Minthara but she's evil. She says some hilariously eff'd up stuff in Act III. Also...
    Spoiler: Minor Spoiler
    Show
    For all that she resents being controlled, once we discovered the whole plot, she was "So, we're gonna dominate the brain instead, right? And rule as dictators? 'Cause that's 100% what we should be doing."

SHE doesn't like being dominated but she's all on board with ruling as God-Queen and dominating everyone else. She doesn't even have Gale's pseudo-religious philosophic reasons for why him keeping the Crown might be warranted or Astarion's "After centuries of pain, no one will ever hurt or scare me again" reasons for wanting to hijack the ritual. She's just "This is a great way to become rulers and we should be doing this because, you know, we'd be rulers, duh."

She doesn't sit around laughing manically while eating a bag of orphan kittens (that's Orin's job) but she's well south of the Neutral line. Which I actually appreciated.
    Last edited by Jophiel; 2023-10-18 at 11:48 AM.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm pretty sure the plan was ALWAYS for everybody to betray everybody else.

I think Gortash is less upset about Orin trying to betray him than he is about her making his life difficult and continuing to fail the murder marshmallow test rather than being a good co-conspirator and paitiently waiting for an opportunity to betray him.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not got too far into Act 3 yet, but the reading I get is that the difference between Durge and Orin was restraint. Prom as a Changeling is playing serial killer on easy mode, especially as she's shown to easily assume identities on the fly just to mess with the party. The Durge meanwhile survived committing a murder spree and fifteen years of life as Bhaal's chosen WITHOUT having her shapeshifting.

Gortash gets along better with Durge because Durge was looking at the bigger picture. Before Orin shoved the tadpole in they'd have killed Isobel, but only once everybody was getting ready to assault Moonrise Towers.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

I'd guess early release gets a bit of the blame on the whole Minthara stuff. They needed a "good end scene" (Tiefling celebration) and an "evil end scene" (Goblin celebration). Skipping the Grove completely, I suppose, meant you didn't finish the game.

17. - Top - End - #317

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
    I liked my run with Minthara but she's evil. She says some hilariously eff'd up stuff in Act III.

She doesn't sit around laughing manically while eating a bag of orphan kittens (that's Orin's job) but she's well south of the Neutral line. Which I actually appreciated.
    Sure, but so are Astarion, Shadowheart and Lae’zel, at least to start. It would not take much for Minthara to fit into a good playthrough, beyond that the game doesn’t have a scenario where she can fail to destroy the grove and kill the tieflings and survive to act 2, but it’s not like you couldn’t have written that outcome.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Titan in the Playground

I guess we have different standards for 'irrelevant', because to my mind if something has a potential game long presence and a dedicated possible ending it's not irrelevant.
    As a reminder of the context here, the claim I was responding to was "No Bhaalspawn, no plot." That the game requires Bhaalspawn to happen. That is clearly not true.
    Spoiler
    Show
    As far as the main plot, the scheme to use the Absolute to control people, goes, Bhaalspawn are pretty irrelevent. Orin is one, but is the least consequential of the three main villains, could be replaced with a non-Bhaalspawn Chosen of Bhaal with no changes to the main plot, and could be written out entirely easily.

The one thing that does depend upon Bhaalspawn is the Dark Urge origin and its sub-plot, yes. But that is optional, and not the main plot even when you do it.

Sure, but so are Astarion, Shadowheart and Lae’zel, at least to start.
    I'd argue Shadowheart starts as True Neutral - she wants to be Neutral Evil, as a Sharran should, but isn't that selfish and malicious. She can end up either NE or NG (or least TN leaning towards NG, if she's not there yet by the end) depending on what happens at her big moment.

Lae'zel and Astarion though, yeah, that's accurate. Hell, I'm not 100% sure Astarion isn't still evil at the end even if you convince him not to go full dark side at the end of his main side quest.

19. - Top - End - #319

Sure, but so are Astarion, Shadowheart and Lae’zel, at least to start.
    Sure, though I'd say Lae'zel isn't really evil so much as very strict and narrow-minded (I'd call her Lawful Neutral). But my point was never that no one else has a dark streak, it's that Minthara isn't some abused waif who just wants to be good if only she had the chance. She's evil, she continues having evil thoughts and opinions throughout the game and she has no real inclination to stop being it. She dislikes being dominated/controlled (which is a pretty normal thing to dislike) but she has zero compunction about the idea of dominating others; just the opposite since she actually WANTS to control others by force. She has no "Come to the Light" moment like the others. At best, she has a moment of reflection on her own mortality and place in the world but doesn't actually extend this into compassion for anyone else.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by diplomancer View Post
    I'd guess early release gets a bit of the blame on the whole Minthara stuff. They needed a "good end scene" (Tiefling celebration) and an "evil end scene" (Goblin celebration). Skipping the Grove completely, I suppose, meant you didn't finish the game.
    Yhea, its purely Act 1 narrative stuff. You can skip the content of Act 1 and just beeline to Moonrise through the mountain pass, right?

I personally don't mind we be given an option to sequence break story beats in an RPG.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Titan in the Playground

I'm kind of getting bored with my current playthrough, might just be burnout from Act 3's terrible performance. Starting again from Act 1 to see if that'll let me re-engage with Act 3.

So class picking time, and I want to see how long I can run about in my undies. Which means Barbarian, Monk, Sorcerer, Warlock, or Wizard, and only two of those run off of CHA. So Archfey Warlock it is!

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

22. - Top - End - #322
    Spamalot in the Playground

Eh, her main complaint is that the Absolute forced her to do it. She doesn't really have any qualms about performing evil provided her goals merit it. When she asks you why you slaughtered the Grove, the only answer she seriously objects to is the one saying you did it for the lulz. But every reason that was goal related gets either her mechanical +approval or "Heh, yeah..."

I liked my run with Minthara but she's evil. She says some hilariously eff'd up stuff in Act III. Also...
    Spoiler: Minor Spoiler
    Show
    For all that she resents being controlled, once we discovered the whole plot, she was "So, we're gonna dominate the brain instead, right? And rule as dictators? 'Cause that's 100% what we should be doing."

SHE doesn't like being dominated but she's all on board with ruling as God-Queen and dominating everyone else. She doesn't even have Gale's pseudo-religious philosophic reasons for why him keeping the Crown might be warranted or Astarion's "After centuries of pain, no one will ever hurt or scare me again" reasons for wanting to hijack the ritual. She's just "This is a great way to become rulers and we should be doing this because, you know, we'd be rulers, duh."

You mean... literally the same suggestion Astarion makes early on?

Look, I never said she isn't evil; I'm saying she's redeemable, as well as talented/capable enough for redemption to be worthwhile. If we were somehow able to prevent her from slaughtering the grove without killing her, she wouldn't be that much worse - morally speaking - than say Voss, or pre-wipe Shadowheart.

The Guardian sees her as an asset too - assuming she survives her trial, they envelop her in the artifact's protection immediately without needing any convincing.

Sure, but so are Astarion, Shadowheart and Lae’zel, at least to start. It would not take much for Minthara to fit into a good playthrough, beyond that the game doesn’t have a scenario where she can fail to destroy the grove and kill the tieflings and survive to act 2, but it’s not like you couldn’t have written that outcome.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr2 View Post
    Yhea, its purely Act 1 narrative stuff. You can skip the content of Act 1 and just beeline to Moonrise through the mountain pass, right?

I personally don't mind we be given an option to sequence break story beats in an RPG.
    I'm not sure, but I know you can learn about Moonrise via the burning inn (as that's where they kidnapped Duke Ravengard) instead of via Halsin or Minthara. You can also get to the Underdark via Auntie Ethel's place.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I'm kind of getting bored with my current playthrough, might just be burnout from Act 3's terrible performance. Starting again from Act 1 to see if that'll let me re-engage with Act 3.

So class picking time, and I want to see how long I can run about in my undies. Which means Barbarian, Monk, Sorcerer, Warlock, or Wizard, and only two of those run off of CHA. So Archfey Warlock it is!
    FYI, you can run around in your underwear as anybody, just hide your armor.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2023-10-18 at 02:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

23. - Top - End - #323

You mean... literally the same suggestion Astarion makes early on?
    Yes, the same thing that I've noted about Astarion several times now, correct.

Look, I never said she isn't evil; I'm saying she's redeemable
    But she isn't, really. The other characters have their moment where they see the light, hallelujah. Minthara doesn't. You can prod her into being less... offensive?... somewhat?... but she never has a "Well, I guess being a power-hungry user of people ain't great" moment. She's essentially the same person going out as she was going in; a little more vulnerable with you but still totally willing to buy a six-pack of slaves for her kitchen if she sees them on sale. But she doesn't need to be redeemable either, so that's fine.
    Last edited by Jophiel; 2023-10-18 at 02:28 PM.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Spamalot in the Playground

But she isn't, really.
    I don't really know what else to say except you're wrong, and possibly have missed several of her cutscenes/dialogue.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

25. - Top - End - #325
    Titan in the Playground

FYI, you can run around in your underwear as anybody, just hide your armor.
    I know, I switch to casual outfits whenever I'm in a 'civilised area', because it's that little bit of role-playing.

Which is also why I want to try to do a run without equipping armour. I like the idea of a character who only wears clothes for other people's comfort and doesn't use armour for protection (I might see if there's any undies mods out there that give styles even more covered than the Human set). Cheating that feels less fun, but I might cave if the lack of bonuses becomes too problematic.

Show

26. - Top - End - #326
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm not sure, but I know you can learn about Moonrise via the burning inn (as that's where they kidnapped Duke Ravengard) instead of via Halsin or Minthara. You can also get to the Underdark via Auntie Ethel's place.
    You can definitely cut through the goblin camp directly in the mountain with minimal interaction.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Titan in the Playground

Side note, do they give any actual details on who your Warlock Patron is? Because as I picked Archfey I'd presume it's either some Feywild noble or an equivalent to Thaniel who lives closer to Baldur's Gate.

My headcanon is that my character made the pact in an attempt to control the Urges after they manifested.

Show

28. - Top - End - #328

RedKnightGirl

Side note, do they give any actual details on who your Warlock Patron is? Because as I picked Archfey I'd presume it's either some Feywild noble or an equivalent to Thaniel who lives closer to Baldur's Gate.
    I don't think so? Easier to be vague about it, you'll never directly interact with your patron.

Warlocks are sort of hard done by the medium shift, since they come packaged with strong narrative hooks which a video game can't customize in the same way as a DM can. Paladins and Clerics have similar problems

29. - Top - End - #329
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

My headcanon is that my character made the pact in an attempt to control the Urges after they manifested.
    There's a few moments when you get to invoke your patron for advantage on a role or use a unique dialogue option, but your patron never gets specifically identified beyond what you pick.
    [/Center]

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ogre in the Playground

If you want to play the story of a Warlock having to deal with his patron, its Wyll.

If you want to play with the story of a cleric having to deal with her divinity, its Shadowheart.

If you want to play a knight who was sworn to her Queen, play Lae'zel.

These narratives are already written in story, weaved in the main plot but non-necessary for it working. You cant have perfect customization over your narrative options, especially if you expect voiced lines.