New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 163132333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1484
  1. - Top - End - #1201
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Baldur's Gate 3 II: The Urge for a Second Playthrough

Quote Originally Posted by Lycunadari View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    If you start the fight with her in her house and she escapes down the fireplace all the redcaps outside turn hostile. I don't remember if they automatically/always join the fight, but if you still have someone standing outside where they can see them, or you try to run away, the redcaps will attack you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    They're outside, in the swamp; they aggro if
    Spoiler
    Show
    you piss off Ethel in her hut, e.g. by insisting on telling Mayrina about her brothers, which makes her call for help.

But it takes them a couple of rounds to get to the front door, plenty of time to lay down a nasty welcome (I did Cloud of Daggers.)
    Spoiler: Ethel
    Show
    Oh, it's just the ones outside? I always killed those before even entering her house. They get automatically pissed if you can tell what they are, after all, so unless I want to play dumb it's kind of unavoidable. Or if I were to fail that check to realize the terrain's an illusion I guess, but it seems to be pretty easy, as none of my three very different characters did.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

2. - Top - End - #1202
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Spoiler: Ethel
    Show
    Oh, it's just the ones outside? I always killed those before even entering her house. They get automatically pissed if you can tell what they are, after all, so unless I want to play dumb it's kind of unavoidable. Or if I were to fail that check to realize the terrain's an illusion I guess, but it seems to be pretty easy, as none of my three very different characters did.
    Spoiler
    Show
    You could always just play along, it tends to get an approval boost (not that you really need those).
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

3. - Top - End - #1203
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Hypothetical:

Spoiler: Act 2
    Show
    So, let's say you're doing Gale as your Origin character. You've knocked Ketheric Thorm down, and he's gone down to the Absolute, and you're at the top of the tower.

Would it be possible to just solo-run down to the lower level and blow everyone up? Maybe throw up an invisibility or two (potions yay!), skip the entire 1st floor of that, and just... end everything, including the game?
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

4. - Top - End - #1204
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LibraryOgre View Post
    Hypothetical:

Spoiler: Act 2
    Show
    So, let's say you're doing Gale as your Origin character. You've knocked Ketheric Thorm down, and he's gone down to the Absolute, and you're at the top of the tower.

Would it be possible to just solo-run down to the lower level and blow everyone up? Maybe throw up an invisibility or two (potions yay!), skip the entire 1st floor of that, and just... end everything, including the game?
    Yes, and the writers planned for it.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

5. - Top - End - #1205
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Yes, and the writers planned for it.
    Oh, care to spoil me what happens? In spoilers?

About Ethel disguising herself: i realized she had a bigger Wisdom save than her "hostage", so i managed to figure out who was who. Felt smart about myself for that one.
    Last edited by Cikomyr2; 2024-01-26 at 06:58 PM.

6. - Top - End - #1206
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr2 View Post
    Oh, care to spoil me what happens? In spoilers?

About Ethel disguising herself: i realized she had a bigger Wisdom save than her "hostage", so i managed to figure out who was who. Felt smart about myself for that one.
    Spoiler: gale
    Show
    He blows up and the credits play, having killed the Absolute and all 3 chosen, plus yourself. You win?
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

7. - Top - End - #1207
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    He blows up and the credits play, having killed the Absolute and all 3 chosen, plus yourself. You win?
    Oh that's nice!!!

Can you make him do it if you dont play him?

8. - Top - End - #1208
    Titan in the Playground

Oh that's nice!!!

Can you make him do it if you dont play him?
    IIRC you have to convince him notn to.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

9. - Top - End - #1209
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Spoiler: Note about this.
    Show
    When you do this at the end of Act 2, it says that without the Absolute, those infected with tadpoles all started turning into Mind Flayers, so it becomes kind of a bad ending. Not sure what the difference is between this and when you do it at the end of Act 3 that prevents that from happening there, but that's how it plays out anyway.

At least normally, I don't know if it differs if you're doing Origin Gale.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

10. - Top - End - #1210
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Note about this.
    Show
    When you do this at the end of Act 2, it says that without the Absolute, those infected with tadpoles all started turning into Mind Flayers, so it becomes kind of a bad ending. Not sure what the difference is between this and when you do it at the end of Act 3 that prevents that from happening there, but that's how it plays out anyway.

At least normally, I don't know if it differs if you're doing Origin Gale.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Just from the top of my head, destroying the Absolute and the tower leaves Baldur's Gate at the "mercy" of all the infiltrated agents that have gone there under the guise of refugees.

Destroying the Absolute at the end of Act 3 would kill all of them. And Baldur's Gate.

11. - Top - End - #1211
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Just from the top of my head, destroying the Absolute and the tower leaves Baldur's Gate at the "mercy" of all the infiltrated agents that have gone there under the guise of refugees.

Destroying the Absolute at the end of Act 3 would kill all of them. And Baldur's Gate.
    Spoiler: Ending, Gale
    Show
    No, letting Gale blow up the Absolute at the end of Act 3 works fine. It's high enough in the air that the detonation only kills it, and he sends the rest of your group away beforehand. The tadpoles all still die instead of completing ceremorphosis too.

12. - Top - End - #1212
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Ending, Gale
    Show
    No, letting Gale blow up the Absolute at the end of Act 3 works fine. It's high enough in the air that the detonation only kills it, and he sends the rest of your group away beforehand. The tadpoles all still die instead of completing ceremorphosis too.
    Daaaaamn

I am happy I did not do it then. My Durge expected a high body count.

13. - Top - End - #1213
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Spoiler: Waukeen's Rest
    Show
    The burning building in Waukeen's Rest seems empty but people keep yelling for help. I can't find anyone. Where are they?

Nevermind. Foundem.
    Last edited by ArlEammon; 2024-01-27 at 06:21 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1214
    Titan in the Playground

Back in the underdark, slowly murdering my way through Absolute minions. I somehow accidentally became the chosen of a fake Bhaal, but I'll probably just flog that knife to the next merchant I meet.

Now just to make sure I don't cancel Shadowheart's romance during Act 2.

Show

15. - Top - End - #1215
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Back in the underdark, slowly murdering my way through Absolute minions. I somehow accidentally became the chosen of a fake Bhaal, but I'll probably just flog that knife to the next merchant I meet.

Now just to make sure I don't cancel Shadowheart's romance during Act 2.
    A fake Bhaal? Now you drew my interest.

16. - Top - End - #1216

Got a bit tired of BG2 in the Underdark, and I found a mod that lets you assign your background skills (so no more overlap between half-orc and Haunted One background), so I started again... again.

Still tooling around Act 1. I haven't hit Waukeen's Rest or the Absolute's Fortress, yet, but chugging along.

As I'm tooling around the ruined village, though, I keep thinking "You know what? The tieflings could have done worse than to set up in this village, at least for a while, once I've killed the goblins." They'd hardly be in worse shape than they were in the Grove, and the grove would be right there for trade and aid.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

17. - Top - End - #1217
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I'd love to experiment with themed custom characters. So, what's, in your opinion, the perfect build for King Bowser, from the Mario Franchise?
    I chose a dragonborn, green dragon ancestry, warlock character with fire themed spells. Later I will probably choose a fighter class, then put the rest of the classes in either more warlock levels or draconic sorcerer levels.

Also, what are some idea for other characters? Mario, for example. . . I was thinking some kind of Monk class, with a warlock "fiend patron".

18. - Top - End - #1218

Quote Originally Posted by ArlEammon View Post
    I'd love to experiment with themed custom characters. So, what's, in your opinion, the perfect build for King Bowser, from the Mario Franchise?
    I chose a dragonborn, green dragon ancestry, warlock character with fire themed spells. Later I will probably choose a fighter class, then put the rest of the classes in either more warlock levels or draconic sorcerer levels.

Also, what are some idea for other characters? Mario, for example. . . I was thinking some kind of Monk class, with a warlock "fiend patron".
    I'm lazy; I'd just go with a Red Dragonborn, using green dragonborn colors, and pump it all into 4 Elements monk.

So, I'm thinking that, after 8th level, I'll multiclass my swords bard. Kind of leaning towards Battlemaster fighter, which makes me the King of Technique. But, playing around with options, I'm seeing

Swords 6/Fighter 6; same number of feats as 8/4, misses 4th level spells, but keeps Countercharm and, importantly, Font of Inspiration. Could go as far as 5/7, but would need to wait until at least 8th level, so I could keep my two attacks (at 8th, resetting to 3/5).

Swords 8/Thief 4. That extra bonus action for mobility and/or poison, along with my TWF.

How does multiclass spellcasting work in BG3?
    The Cranky Gamer

19. - Top - End - #1219
    Titan in the Playground

A fake Bhaal? Now you drew my interest.
    There's a fake Bhaal in the underdark, just look around and you'll stumble across them.

Anyway, finished the Underdark and decided to go back and do the Githyanki Creche. Picked up the special monk gear on the way and now my damage output is finally climbing. By which I mean my unarmed attacks are doing 1d6+5(bludgeoning)+1d6(fire)+1d4+3(Radiant, Necrotic, or Psychic) damage, which is nearly on par with GWM builds but without the accuracy drop.

Also vaguely considering doing an Origin Character run with classes swapped after this one. I'm considering the obvious Paladin Shadowheart, but I'm also liking the idea of Wild Magic Sorcerer Lae'zel.

Show

20. - Top - End - #1220
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    There's a fake Bhaal in the underdark, just look around and you'll stumble across them.
    I actually found it very difficult to find the Festering Cove even knowing that it existed and generally where it was, I'm not used to thinking in 3d with CRPGs.

21. - Top - End - #1221

Quote Originally Posted by Errorname View Post
    I actually found it very difficult to find the Festering Cove even knowing that it existed and generally where it was, I'm not used to thinking in 3d with CRPGs.
    I don't think I know it, TBH. I only just found the place behind the ruined temple/the bridge/gate west of Waukeen's Rest.
    The Cranky Gamer

22. - Top - End - #1222
    Spamalot in the Playground

Got a bit tired of BG2 in the Underdark, and I found a mod that lets you assign your background skills (so no more overlap between half-orc and Haunted One background), so I started again... again.

Still tooling around Act 1. I haven't hit Waukeen's Rest or the Absolute's Fortress, yet, but chugging along.

As I'm tooling around the ruined village, though, I keep thinking "You know what? The tieflings could have done worse than to set up in this village, at least for a while, once I've killed the goblins." They'd hardly be in worse shape than they were in the Grove, and the grove would be right there for trade and aid.
    (I assume you meant BG3 here)

Yeah I hate the Haunted One skills too. I found a similar mod but it just adds skills, so Haunted One picked up Stealth and Sleight of Hand, skills I usually want on my Durge anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

23. - Top - End - #1223
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Yeah I hate the Haunted One skills too. I found a similar mod but it just adds skills, so Haunted One picked up Stealth and Sleight of Hand, skills I usually want on my Durge anyway.
    BG2 also has a significant underdark section.

24. - Top - End - #1224

Nope, BG2. I was playing BG1, SoD, and BG2 for a while, but I got sorta tired of them, so I went back to BG3.
    The Cranky Gamer

25. - Top - End - #1225
    Titan in the Playground

Nope, BG2. I was playing BG1, SoD, and BG2 for a while, but I got sorta tired of them, so I went back to BG3.
    It happens, I got kinda tired of BG3 after restarting as a Rogue to actually have decent social skills so I've switched to JRPGs for a bit. I'll be back in a week or two.

Show

26. - Top - End - #1226

BG2 also has a significant underdark section.
    Then the Haunted One Background thing is what threw me, apologies.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

27. - Top - End - #1227
    Ogre in the Playground

You structures your sentence really strangely by first making a comment a about BG2 and then, following a comma, switched to BG3.

Im with the people who thought you had mistyped. Just try to be clearer if you want to avoid that confusion.
    Last edited by Cikomyr2; 2024-02-02 at 01:55 PM.

28. - Top - End - #1228
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I just cleared Act 2 on my Origin Astarion Honor run. Literally saved right before clicking the Exit from Act 2. We will be entering Act 3 at level 9 (halfway to 10).

I've got to say something about Minthara. While I would never (and will never) acquire her through the normal nefarious deeds, having picked her up in Act 2 and spending some time with her, this is probably (IMO) one of the best written companions for all of Act 2. I had to choke up the reigns on her just a little (come on, you might be a oath of vengeance 'paladin', but I am THE PALADIN, and you will save that blood thirst for our actual enemies). The writers did an excellent job of portraying Minthara as a person in pain, sympathetic to those who were unjustly tormented, and simultaneously blending that with a personality that veers towards the darker side of the alignment spectrum. And the voice actor, and animators, just ... amazing.

Spoiler: Disclaimer
    Show
    And that might all be stemming from a bit of awe from what she did in the final half of the BBEG fight. She ran up to the target (who still had half of their health) and proceeded to curb stomp them worse than the aasimar does to Ketheric. With a freaking quarterstaff and a handful of 1st level (and two 2nd level) spell slots. And action surge. She did not miss, not once. And her sitting on the throne AFTER the fight was ... perfect. She looked so satisfied.

All in all, I am glad I put my Durge play through on hold for now. I wasn't able to get Minthara on that play through (before the patch that made it possible). I'll likely restart that play through on Honor mode as well, just so that I can get everyone, and live with every consequence of my actions. Its been an exciting ride so far with Astarion.

29. - Top - End - #1229

Quote Originally Posted by Eldonauran View Post
    I just cleared Act 2 on my Origin Astarion Honor run. Literally saved right before clicking the Exit from Act 2. We will be entering Act 3 at level 9 (halfway to 10).

I've got to say something about Minthara. While I would never (and will never) acquire her through the normal nefarious deeds, having picked her up in Act 2 and spending some time with her, this is probably (IMO) one of the best written companions for all of Act 2. I had to choke up the reigns on her just a little (come on, you might be a oath of vengeance 'paladin', but I am THE PALADIN, and you will save that blood thirst for our actual enemies). The writers did an excellent job of portraying Minthara as a person in pain, sympathetic to those who were unjustly tormented, and simultaneously blending that with a personality that veers towards the darker side of the alignment spectrum. And the voice actor, and animators, just ... amazing.

Spoiler: Disclaimer
    Show
    And that might all be stemming from a bit of awe from what she did in the final half of the BBEG fight. She ran up to the target (who still had half of their health) and proceeded to curb stomp them worse than the aasimar does to Ketheric. With a freaking quarterstaff and a handful of 1st level (and two 2nd level) spell slots. And action surge. She did not miss, not once. And her sitting on the throne AFTER the fight was ... perfect. She looked so satisfied.

All in all, I am glad I put my Durge play through on hold for now. I wasn't able to get Minthara on that play through (before the patch that made it possible). I'll likely restart that play through on Honor mode as well, just so that I can get everyone, and live with every consequence of my actions. Its been an exciting ride so far with Astarion.
    "I will never tire of sitting on dead men's thrones."

I'm glad more people (in all the BG communities/threads I'm in, not just this one) are realizing how well-written Minthara is. And I'm very happy Larian let good playthroughs recruit her now without needing to mod or cheat.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

30. - Top - End - #1230
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Spoiler: Minthara
    Show
    It's weird recruiting Minthara. I killed her in my first playthrough by accident. (Didn't know she was recruitable.) So are there only weird, indirect ways of recruiting her, or can you get her in Act I without eradicating The Emerald Grove?