New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 43 of 50 FirstFirst ... 18333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1484
  1. - Top - End - #1261
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Baldur's Gate 3 II: The Urge for a Second Playthrough

Restarted again because the fact that weapon models don't rescale was annoying me, so now I'm a Tiefling Wild Magic Sorcerer. Making sure I have a more eclectic mix of spells instead of my normal practice of going full blaster, so I've nabbed Hold Person before even looking at Sorching Ray or the like. My first two level three spells will be Lightning Bolt and Counter spell, but I'll probably drop Chromatic Orb for a third one.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

2. - Top - End - #1262
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LibraryOgre View Post
    Anyone have comments on Monk/Druid? It's a combo I always wish worked, but never quite does.
    Tavern brawler was changed to work with many non-weapon using wild shape forms, so there's some nice overlap between stuff you want. Elixirs of cloud giant strength will buff your strength even in a wildshape form. I'd say level 6 moon druid for owlbear + magical attacks gets you pretty far, then you could easily go 6 shadow or 6 open hand and get some of their best features, too.

Only thing is, I imagine these play like 2 separate characters. You're in owlbear form being tanky and doing damage until something chews through your 65 base hp, then you can use another wild shape to keep going, or just punch things and do insane damage because of tavern brawler. Maybe that's appealing, maybe not.

The only other thing I can think of is using spores druid to give yourself extra necro damage on attacks via symbiotic entity...but since it only lasts while you keep the temp hp, you want to make sure you're not the one being hit. A warding bond can go some distance, but other tactics might also be needed.
    Last edited by Frozenstep; 2024-02-09 at 08:49 PM.

3. - Top - End - #1263
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Also, I played around with it last night, turning my level 10 Halsin from an abandoned playthrough into a 6 Moon/4 Elements... whether or not Wisdom was applied to AC was inconsistent across forms. Alas, the idea won't work as well as I would like.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

4. - Top - End - #1264
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Act 3 spoiler
    Show

Currently trying Iron Throne run…and just realized that I can attend Gortash coronation without causing timed quest issue embarrassingly enough.
    Also I am not sure if it just from me basing on memes, but Viconia feels off from BG 1 and 2…like say Minsc seems to think that she wanted to dissect Boo. Also Jaheira didn’t mention her much, either during or after her fight.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

5. - Top - End - #1265
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

So, there is more than one way to play this character. He's supposed to be "King Bowser Koopa" from the Super Mario franchise. My first run is a Fighter/Warlock hybrid. Any advice on how I can make a build of him that makes sense for Bowser that's still decently strong but?
    I also made a Mario build, I'm about to multiclass him too, and also Peach.
    What do you guys suggest for these builds?

6. - Top - End - #1266
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    Spoiler: Act 3 spoiler
    Show

Currently trying Iron Throne run…and just realized that I can attend Gortash coronation without causing timed quest issue embarrassingly enough.
    Also I am not sure if it just from me basing on memes, but Viconia feels off from BG 1 and 2…like say Minsc seems to think that she wanted to dissect Boo. Also Jaheira didn’t mention her much, either during or after her fight.
    Spoiler: Returning Characters
    Show
    They really made a botch of Viconia and Sarevok. Really hard to reconcile their portrayals in this game with their original characterization, and it's not like they did anything interesting enough to make that reconciliation worth doing, if you know the characters these aren't satisfying endings to their stories and if you don't know the characters they don't make you care, and it's not like you can really walk either back short of retconning these versions as impersonators.

7. - Top - End - #1267

Just finished the Goblins on this playthrough, but I'm making a much more concerted attempt to take my time, if that makes sense. Normally, I'll do the first area on maybe one or two long rests. This time, I made an effort to do three. Not dawdle, but take my time, let those night time scenes play out.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

8. - Top - End - #1268
    Spamalot in the Playground

I generally do as few rests as possible until I expose the Shadow Druids / stop the ritual, then once that soft timer is removed, I spam rest until my Camp Events mod stops pinging, then rest whenever something new triggers or I absolutely need to before/after a tough fight like Ethel or the Phase Spider Matriarch.

Quote Originally Posted by ArlEammon View Post
    So, there is more than one way to play this character. He's supposed to be "King Bowser Koopa" from the Super Mario franchise. My first run is a Fighter/Warlock hybrid. Any advice on how I can make a build of him that makes sense for Bowser that's still decently strong but?
    I also made a Mario build, I'm about to multiclass him too, and also Peach.
    What do you guys suggest for these builds?
    For Mario I'd do a Dwarf Fighter or Barbarian (something Str-based for big jumps) using a Warhammer and thrown barrels. There's probably a way to weaponize your jumps in this game too but I haven't looked into it, so I'd go old-school DK Jumpman.

Peach is tricky because her videogame portrayals have varied wildly. Sometimes she's known for healing and singing, sometimes for flight, sometimes for throwing things, sometimes for... ugh... weaponizing her emotions. I'd probably go for some flavor of Bard or Sorcerer.

For Bowser I'd probably do a Dragonborn Vengeance Draconic Sorcadin, with some mix of green and red to get the look and the fire breath, with plate armor serving as the shell.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

9. - Top - End - #1269
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

For Mario I'd do a Dwarf Fighter or Barbarian (something Str-based for big jumps) using a Warhammer and thrown barrels. There's probably a way to weaponize your jumps in this game too but I haven't looked into it, so I'd go old-school DK Jumpman.

Peach is tricky because her videogame portrayals have varied wildly. Sometimes she's known for healing and singing, sometimes for flight, sometimes for throwing things, sometimes for... ugh... weaponizing her emotions. I'd probably go for some flavor of Bard or Sorcerer.

For Bowser I'd probably do a Dragonborn Vengeance Draconic Sorcadin, with some mix of green and red to get the look and the fire breath, with plate armor serving as the shell.
    How's Mario going to use fire if he's a Fighter or Barbarian?

10. - Top - End - #1270

Quote Originally Posted by ArlEammon View Post
    How's Mario going to use fire if he's a Fighter or Barbarian?
    The same way the "real" Mario does, via a magic item.

Less facetiously, anytime you're doing a translation like this you have to make concessions somewhere. What's more important to you - shooting fire, wielding hammers, changing size, or killing enemies by jumping on their heads? If you can fit everything he does into one build, great, have at it.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

11. - Top - End - #1271

Mario is a Monk.

He uses improvised weapons. He jumps on people's heads to kill them. He shoots fire. Make him a duergar and he can even change size.
    The Cranky Gamer

12. - Top - End - #1272
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LibraryOgre View Post
    Mario is a Monk.

He uses improvised weapons. He jumps on people's heads to kill them. He shoots fire. Make him a duergar and he can even change size.
    That has always been by take as well.

He's a jumpy jumpy monk that access to Enlarge, Firebolt, and whatever accessories you feel is appropriate.

13. - Top - End - #1273

My problem with Mario as a monk is that in 5e and BG3, monks don't jump all that well since it's based on Strength. Since we're already using items and consumables however, A BG3 Mario-monk can overcome the limitations of the base chassis.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

14. - Top - End - #1274
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    My problem with Mario as a monk is that in 5e and BG3, monks don't jump all that well since it's based on Strength. Since we're already using items and consumables however, A BG3 Mario-monk can overcome the limitations of the base chassis.
    Just give him a permanent Jump effect, or Boots of Acrobatics.

15. - Top - End - #1275
    Ettin in the Playground

Just make Mario a Tavern Brawler monk, make him hugely muscley.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

16. - Top - End - #1276

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr2 View Post
    Just give him a permanent Jump effect, or Boots of Acrobatics.
    Boots of what now? Did you mean Striding and Springing?
    Those don't exist in BG3 afaik, but Bonespike Boots should be doable. They don't show up till Act 3 though.

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    Just make Mario a Tavern Brawler monk, make him hugely muscley.
    The issue with muscle monks is that monks are MAD, which makes high Str tough to squeeze in. An item like Gauntlets of Hill Giant Strength lets you override your strength score and bypass that issue - but again, you'll be waiting until Act 3 (and fairly late at that) to pick these up.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

17. - Top - End - #1277

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Boots of what now? Did you mean Striding and Springing?
    Those don't exist in BG3 afaik, but Bonespike Boots should be doable. They don't show up till Act 3 though.
    Until then, Swiresy Shoes from Grat in the Goblin Camp should be a good start... +1 to acrobatics and 1.5m to jump.

The issue with muscle monks is that monks are MAD, which makes high Str tough to squeeze in. An item like Gauntlets of Hill Giant Strength lets you override your strength score and bypass that issue - but again, you'll be waiting until Act 3 (and fairly late at that) to pick these up.
    Ok, let's try him out...

Mario Mario, Duergar Monk
    Str 10
    Dex 16
    Con 14
    Int 10
    Wis 14
    Rizz 10

Guild Craftsman Background (he is a plumber)

Skill Proficiencies: Athletics, Acrobatics, Insight, Persuasion

Choices:
    Level 3: Way of the Open Hand
    Level 4: Athlete
    Level 8: Magic Initiate: Druid (Produce Flame, Guidance, Enhance Leap)
    Level 12: Mobile

It might not be the best version of him, but I think it covers someone who runs, jumps, and shoots fire sometimes.
    The Cranky Gamer

18. - Top - End - #1278
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Elixirs of Hill Giant Strength of available in Act 1, and if you purchase/make enough of them, it'll hold you over till Act 3 if you want a high strength Mario.
    Last edited by Eldonauran; 2024-02-18 at 01:31 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1279
    Ettin in the Playground

So Patch 6...
    other than kissing, part of me is thinking about its new dialogue system according to notes.
    "We’ve also made some improvements to speaker selection. When dialogue triggers automatically, the game will now try to prioritise your avatar as the main speaker - so your party members should have less main character syndrome when clearly you’re the star of the show."
    Granted no problem if the player is the face (like Bard, Paladin, or Charisma character)...but wondering about use of other NPC who had better stats for rolls (especially if speaker didn't trigger on one you wanted).
    Though this sounds useful in say...
    Spoiler: Act 1 spoiler
    Show
    If you are a Drow Female and talking to a Drow Wizard, who will surrender if you play up "Drow Matriarchy", but only trigger on a character you got after combat ends.
    OR Aunt Ethel try to surrender and offer you a scalp.

BUT I am on Act 3 and still downloading it.
    Might want to get a headsup.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

20. - Top - End - #1280
    Colossus in the Playground

Finally reaching the end of act 2 on my very slow playthrough. And man is this game still frustrating sometimes. So here I am, trying to carefully strategize my way through Moonrise Tower. Laying down area control spells (a wall of fire, black tentacles), and... Jaheira jumps in the middle of both ongoing spells, gets peppered by six arrows and dies immediately. Tried this fight three times now, it keeps happening.

Urgh. Maybe I should just let her die, I spent three hours on this yesterday. From all I've heard, she's only a not-very-good cameo anyway, like all the other returning characters.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

21. - Top - End - #1281
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Finally reaching the end of act 2 on my very slow playthrough. And man is this game still frustrating sometimes. So here I am, trying to carefully strategize my way through Moonrise Tower. Laying down area control spells (a wall of fire, black tentacles), and... Jaheira jumps in the middle of both ongoing spells, gets peppered by six arrows and dies immediately. Tried this fight three times now, it keeps happening.

Urgh. Maybe I should just let her die, I spent three hours on this yesterday. From all I've heard, she's only a not-very-good cameo anyway, like all the other returning characters.
    Not having Jaheira means not having Minsc. And Minsc is fun. And I didn't play the previous games, so didn't know anything about them. But, obviously, you can do without them.

22. - Top - End - #1282

This is the reason why I play this game so slowly. Every other week, I take it out on the weekend, play a few hours, run into something enormously frustrating and put it away for another two weeks. Act one, it was mainly controls and party composition, now it's just stupid NPCs and annoying dungeon design.

23. - Top - End - #1283

If you're Dark Urge I would definitely keep her around (resisting or embracing both get great content with her) otherwise feel free to skip her.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

24. - Top - End - #1284
    Bugbear in the Playground

If you tell her before the battle that you need her at your side (and not with her harpers) you get her as a temporary companion, and she doesn't replace one of your other companions, so you can control her and just keep her safe in the back.
    You can call me Juniper. Please use gender-neutral pronouns (ze/hir (preferred) or they/them) when referring to me.

"We all are vessels of our brokenness, we carry it inside us like water, careful not to spill. And what is wholeness if not brokenness encompassed in acceptance, the warmth of its power a shield against those who would hurt us?" - R. Lemberg, Geometries of Belonging

Stories Art

25. - Top - End - #1285
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Lycunadari View Post
    If you tell her before the battle that you need her at your side (and not with her harpers) you get her as a temporary companion, and she doesn't replace one of your other companions, so you can control her and just keep her safe in the back.
    Oh I didn't know that! I assumed that it meant she joined your party right then. I'd just gotten Halsin and wanted to play with him, so I didn't want to double up on druids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

26. - Top - End - #1286

How do you get Halsin to actually join you? I'm fighting my way through Moonrise tower now and he still doesn't want to talk about anything.

27. - Top - End - #1287
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

How do you get Halsin to actually join you? I'm fighting my way through Moonrise tower now and he still doesn't want to talk about anything.
    Spoiler: Halsin's Quest
    Show
    You need to complete his quest about breaking the Shadow Curse to the point where you rescue Thaniel from the Shadowfel. After that, talk to him in camp and he offers to join you.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

28. - Top - End - #1288

Huh. I'm sure I talked to him after that. Thanks.

29. - Top - End - #1289

Argh. Okay, this time i had Jaheira join my party before the tower fight.

Now the game freezes every time it's her turn.

30. - Top - End - #1290
    Ogre in the Playground

Argh. Okay, this time i had Jaheira join my party before the tower fight.

Now the game freezes every time it's her turn.
    She Has to Die