New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Class and personality

Hey

My group is doing a new campaign, it's a Gothic horror campaign. My favorite. Anyways we're picking classes based off our personality. I'm aware you can be any class in DnD. I'm just wondering out of the Info I put what class sticks out?

• I'm not super chaotic or impulsive.

• I'm not super rebellious(I can be when I need to be) Im a liberal atheist and to my parents and city I grew up in could be seen as rebellious though. I believe it to be logical but in this town its more uncommon.

• I can be very controlling, But have moments where I'd like someone to choose something. Not common though.

• I tend to be a talker and a listener

• I can be picky with some things.

• I have OCD about certain things.

• Don't like being micromanaged and speak up against things I don't agree with when needed

• Very much about efficiency and accuracy

• I’d say I prefer to stick to a routine or a group of things that I enjoy and I don’t usually Deviate from them

• If I have a particular type of “day” in mind, I don’t usually like straying from it. But it depends on what things happen. If the deviation is suddenly going to a Halloween store(I love Halloween time and horror movies) then I’m sure I'll enjoy it

• I'm very competitive. If I lose I just practice to become better or watch videos to get better.

• I've been described as an jock/need combo and I'd say it's accurate. weight lifting and geek stuff

• Science minded

• I don't like fake people. I don't like hypocrites. I'll call it out if I see it.

• I'm very opinionated. Possibly annoyingly so

• I'm persistent though some would say relentless. I'm determined. I do however like to joke around and be goofy to people close to me. I know how to keep conversations going and control the room if I want to.

• Impatient. Something I'm working on.

• I'm somewhat traditional. But their my own traditions

• Always learning something

• Practical/Pragmatic

• Logical and analytical. Very important to me.

• Confident

• Good at trivia games.

• Believe people should be able to learn and have knowledge available o them

• Try to keep everything fair

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Class and personality

This comes down entirely to roleplay which is usually informed more by your background, personality traits, ideals, bonds, and flaws, than by your class.

That being said however several of the things you mentioned are more closely tied to intelligence than any other stat, so I might go with either wizard or artificer as the Int based classes.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Isn't this like 3rd time I've seen this thread with few months in between?
    Play whatever you like. Classes have little to do with personality.
    It's Eberron, not ebberon.
    It's not high magic, it's wide magic.
    And it's definitely not steampunk. The only time steam gets involved is when the fire and water elementals break loose.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

Yeah, I can’t be sure it’s the same table that is doing this again or if this is a thing that lots of people do? If it’s the same table, aren’t you going to keep getting the same class? Also, “personality” sounds like a terrible metric for determining what to play. A wizard can be a chaotic trickster just as easily as a studious bookworm or a power hungry tyrant. The correct and honest answer to your question, in my opinion is “any class”.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kingcheesepants View Post
    This comes down entirely to roleplay which is usually informed more by your background, personality traits, ideals, bonds, and flaws, than by your class.
    +10.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackPhoenix View Post
    Isn't this like 3rd time I've seen this thread with few months in between? Play whatever you like. Classes have little to do with personality.
    One can be a sophisticated barbarian; one can be a biplor rogue; one can be a shrinking violet warlock or a sorcerer with a gregarious personality. And so on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seekergeek View Post
    The correct and honest answer to your question, in my opinion is “any class”.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormtrooper666 View Post
    Spoiler: laundry list of personality traits
    Show
    My group is doing a new campaign, it's a Gothic horror campaign. My favorite. Anyways we're picking classes based off our personality. I'm aware you can be any class in DnD. I'm just wondering out of the Info I put what class sticks out?

• I'm not super chaotic or impulsive.

• I'm not super rebellious(I can be when I need to be) I m a liberal atheist and to my parents and city I grew up in could be seen as rebellious though. I believe it to be logical but in this town its more uncommon.

• I can be very controlling, But have moments where I'd like someone to choose something. Not common though.

• I tend to be a talker and a listener

• I can be picky with some things.

• I have OCD about certain things.

• Don't like being micromanaged and speak up against things I don't agree with when needed

• Very much about efficiency and accuracy

• I’d say I prefer to stick to a routine or a group of things that I enjoy and I don’t usually Deviate from them

• If I have a particular type of “day” in mind, I don’t usually like straying from it. But it depends on what things happen. If the deviation is suddenly going to a Halloween store(I love Halloween time and horror movies) then I’m sure I'll enjoy it

• I'm very competitive. If I lose I just practice to become better or watch videos to get better.

• I've been described as an jock/need combo and I'd say it's accurate. weight lifting and geek stuff

• Science minded

• I don't like fake people. I don't like hypocrites. I'll call it out if I see it.

• I'm very opinionated. Possibly annoyingly so

• I'm persistent though some would say relentless. I'm determined. I do however like to joke around and be goofy to people close to me. I know how to keep conversations going and control the room if I want to.

• Impatient. Something I'm working on.

• I'm somewhat traditional. But their my own traditions

• Always learning something

• Practical/Pragmatic

• Logical and analytical. Very important to me.

• Confident

• Good at trivia games.

• Believe people should be able to learn and have knowledge available o them

• Try to keep everything fair
    Recommendation:
    high elf arcane trickster rogue. One of your expertise slots needs to be in charisma based skill like deception, intimidation, or persuasion. The other ought to be in either Athletics or Acrobatics.
    Background: Sage
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I agree with what everyone else has said regarding the basic premise.
    Having said that, sounds like maybe an Enchanter Wizard?
    Proclaiming something "objectively" true or false does not excuse you from proving it so.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

My group is doing a new campaign, it's a Gothic horror campaign.
    Okydoke. That brings several tropes.

Anyways we're picking classes based off our personality.
    You pick Backgrounds based off of personality, and alignment from your ideals.
    Instead of asking some potentially hurtful questions, I'll just tell you to roll a d10:

Roll a d10.
    1-2. Acolyte
    3-4. Guild Artisan
    5-6. Hermit
    7-8. Noble
    9-10. Sage

Gothic Horror, you say? Roll a d6:

1. Cleric
    2. Fighter
    3. Paladin
    4. Ranger
    5. Rogue
    6. Warlock

Play what you get.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2024-03-16 at 02:11 PM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

8. - Top - End - #8
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NecessaryWeevil View Post
    I agree with what everyone else has said regarding the basic premise.
    Having said that, sounds like maybe an Enchanter Wizard?
    Yeah, I'd agree with this. The only thing that doesn't really fit it is the "weight-lifting jock/nerd," which frankly I would ditch.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Recommendation:
    high elf arcane trickster rogue. One of your expertise slots needs to be in charisma based skill like deception, intimidation, or persuasion. The other ought to be in either Athletics or Acrobatics.
    Background: Sage
    Definitely a rogue of some kind. I'd also consider Mastermind or Thief. Rogue are skilled; it is easy to imagine one who is analytical, studious, a nerd about their specialties. They're also jocks - you have to be in shape to run, climb, jump and stab like a rogue. Rogues also have a long history of being up and down the full length of the charisma scale. Gregarious hero-thieves to loner in the corner, rogues can fit it all.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Hey

From what you've described, I'd say Wizard. Perhaps with a level or two of Bard.

Given this, you might even like the Muscle Wizard I wrote a while back. :D
    Insert Clever Signature Here

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Oath of glory paladin, it is a paladin about being the bestest and encouraging others to do so as well.

Charisma for the talky talky, micromanagement is low because no one can tell to what to do. And you hit stuff really hard for truth and justice.

--
    From one atheist to another,
    Paladin does suggest having a god or such, but is not a requirement. Also have a chat with your DM, as even in the case of needing a God D&D settings tend to work very differently than the real world on that front.

In FR for example it is not out of the question for gods to be people you have met directly, or in Eberron the gods are less distant but have angels that claim to be direct servants or are able to perform similar roles themselves.

This leaves a bunch of possibilities:
    - serving a cause, ideal, principle or faction
    - a Dean Winchester who doesn't believe in God but believes in Angels and at one point prayed to Castiel directly because they had been helping eachother for a year or two at that point
    - a God like Mystra or Bahaumet, who just interacts with mortals periodically, you serve them because they are help people and you want to do similar by helping them. They are an ally on friendly terms first and a God second
    Last edited by Witty Username; 2024-03-23 at 07:55 PM.