New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1301 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    I vaguely remember something about clerics as well as paladins being members of the Guard, so presumably members of other classes can join and take a level of one of those upon being initiated.
    That is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Quizatzhaderac View Post
    Rooting around him then?
    Dctrue is a fellow PLANTY?

2. - Top - End - #422
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by arimareiji View Post
    Indeed. They were willing to take a risk on putting the afterlife on permanent hold, which at least in my book is a good case for martyrdom. Given enough time, they might've faded away in the same way that afterlife souls do as they reach enlightenment / are consumed by the gods.
    As I said, I don't think it worked like that. I think they enjoyed the afterlife as normal and were summoned at the time of need. The alternative seems evil to me, even if they chose that willingly.
    Last edited by Vikenlugaid; 2024-04-30 at 04:45 PM.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Ettin in the Playground

Do we know how many of the ghost-martyrs, aside from Soon, had died previous to the battle with Xykon in the throne room?

4. - Top - End - #424
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Vikenlugaid View Post
    As I said, I don't think it worked like that. I think they enjoyed the afterlife as normal and were summoned at the time of need. The alternative seems evil to me, even if they chose that willingly.
    If they were enjoying their afterlives they would have been growing away from their mortal experience. When the day came, would spirits evolved into a Devas even remember oaths made by their former mortal selves?

The whole point of martyrdom is self-sacrifice for a greater cause.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Do we know how many of the ghost-martyrs, aside from Soon, had died previous to the battle with Xykon in the throne room?
    That's actually a really good question, and I'm betting the answer is zero, though it's impossible to say for sure. First, I note that during their rising, Soon is the only spirit shown descending. That doesn't necessarily mean anything as the army behind him is much larger than those shown actively rising but it's the best hint I can see. The only other hint comes from playing match-the-paladin to to their original splash, but between the art style's limitations* and the fact that the panels aren't one-to-one mirrors, and a few can be spotted that are maybe, maybe not in the background of the first one or blocked from view by Soon in the second. Since we don't know how many Xykon took out before we get another look, the best we can say for sure is "most of them".

The only hard conclusion I'd feel safe drawing is that the Paladins probably have to die inside the throne room to join the defense. Otherwise there'd be a lot more in there, those who fell while in full favor of the 12 but off in some other place.

*If we didn't know they were elsewhere, you'd swear you could spot Miko, Thahn, and Lien.
    Last edited by Provengreil; 2024-04-30 at 08:33 PM.
    "Thursdays. I could never get the hang of Thursdays."-Arthur Dent, The Hitchhiker's Guide

"I had a normal day once. It was a Thursday." -Will Bailey, The West Wing

Roy will be Xykon's Final Boss

6. - Top - End - #426
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Provengreil View Post
    That's actually a really good question, and I'm betting the answer is zero, though it's impossible to say for sure.
    Yeah, I didn't revisit the strips before asking, but the rest of what you wrote kind of gets to how I remember it. I don't think the Sapphire Guard, Soon aside, necessarily sign their entire afterlives over to defend the Gate, which seemed to be the question at hand. It just seems like the ones who die in the throne room rise again to fight as spirits. Which would mean there isn't any scenario where the Guard is signing over their entire afterlives in defense of the gate. (I have to suspect there would be far, far more of them if that were the case, considering how long the Guard has existed and surely that many more of them have lived and died than the ones we see fighting in the throne room.)

7. - Top - End - #427

As it turned out, they put them on hold: "Our oaths to defend the Gate was all that bound our souls to this world.... Even now, we are fading to the Celestial Realm."
    https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0464.html

Indeed. They were willing to take a risk on putting the afterlife on permanent hold, which at least in my book is a good case for martyrdom. Given enough time, they might've faded away in the same way that afterlife souls do as they reach enlightenment / are consumed by the gods.
    My original full post addressed this. Whether we personally like the notion or not, the text of the comic strongly implies it.
    "Just a Sec Mate" avatar courtesy of Gengy. I'm often somewhere between it, and this gif. (^_~)
    Founding (and so far, only) member of the Greyview Appreciation Society
    "Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat."

8. - Top - End - #428
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    Indeed, and certainly not evil. It is selfless, not selfish.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

9. - Top - End - #429

In what way is it evil? It's unfortunate and sad, but those aren't synonymous with evil. Martyrdom, by its very nature, requires unfortunate but willing sacrifice.
    I'd just like to point out that saying that something unsupported is the case unless someone else can prove that it is not is an utter failure of logic. - Kish

10. - Top - End - #430

Flumph

As per Hinjo's words, paladins at the throne room are reinforcements, not the whole force. There is also characters who weren't in the throne room before: the guy with viking helmet, the girl with bare midriff and long hair, the girl with blue stripe, the guy with dark visor, the guy with white visor, the girl with bare midriff and medium hair, the girl with bare midriff and short hair, the old woman with bun, the old guy with blue helmet, the old guy with black helmet, the old guy without helmet but with white beard, the old guy without helmet but with grey beard, the guy with messy blue hair.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Precure View Post
    As per Hinjo's words, paladins at the throne room are reinforcements, not the whole force. There is also characters who weren't in the throne room before:
    There are also characters who weren't in the throne room before ... sorry, the blue pencil habit becomes a life long one.
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Ettin in the Playground

As per Hinjo's words, paladins at the throne room are reinforcements, not the whole force.
    He says "They are not there to guard the gate alone. They are there as reinforcements."

I always interpreted that as "They are not there solely to guard the gate, but as reinforcements (when they die)." Perhaps as reinforcements for Soon, he meant. But I didn't think he meant that there were many other spirits also there.

There is also characters who weren't in the throne room before: the guy with viking helmet, the girl with bare midriff and long hair, the girl with blue stripe, the guy with dark visor, the guy with white visor, the girl with bare midriff and medium hair, the girl with bare midriff and short hair, the old woman with bun, the old guy with blue helmet, the old guy with black helmet, the old guy without helmet but with white beard, the old guy without helmet but with grey beard, the guy with messy blue hair.
    I didn't look through all of the strips, but maybe then there were more who came back. Looking at the ends of 448 and 449, I largely see the same people.

(And even if there are some we didn't see, I dunno if that means past members of the Guard also came back, or Rich just got bored of drawing the same characters over and over. There might not be a way to get a real answer to this except from him.)

13. - Top - End - #433
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    There are also characters who weren't in the throne room before ... sorry, the blue pencil habit becomes a life long one.
    There's with a plural referent is perfectly fine and quite ubiquitous in informal speech/texts. There is looks a bit weird to me personally but people do write that too. It's ok
    ungelic is us

14. - Top - End - #434
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

In that case, you should not have used ellipses and "lifelong" is one word.

Prescriptivists, i tells ya....
    Last edited by Peelee; 2024-05-02 at 06:37 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

15. - Top - End - #435
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Prescriptivists, i tells ya....
    See, now you should have capitalized the 'i' there.

... I'll show myself out.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

16. - Top - End - #436

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    See, now you should have capitalized the 'i' there.

... I'll show myself out.
    Nah. Prescriptivists should. Me? It's perfectly correct as-is.

17. - Top - End - #437

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Nah. Prescriptivists should. Me? It's perfectly correct as-is.
    Somehow it doesn't seem right on a couple of levels for dragons to have small i's... are you sure that wasn't just bait for a joke? (^_~)b
    "Just a Sec Mate" avatar courtesy of Gengy. I'm often somewhere between it, and this gif. (^_~)
    "Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat."

18. - Top - End - #438
    Titan in the Playground

Somehow it doesn't seem right on a couple of levels for dragons to have small i's... are you sure that wasn't just bait for a joke? (^_~)b
    A beady eyed dragon would work with the Penguin in Wallace and Grommet's "The Wrong Trousers" movie.

For Peelee: there ya go.
    There are also characters who weren't in the throne room before.
    Sorry, the blue pencil habit becomes a lifelong one.

19. - Top - End - #439

A beady eyed dragon would work with the Penguin in Wallace and Grommet's "The Wrong Trousers" movie.

For Peelee: there ya go.
    There are also characters who weren't in the throne room before.
    Sorry, the blue pencil habit becomes a lifelong one.
    Surprised you didn't go for the possible bait of "an ellipsis".

(For the record, if it is joke bait I approve.)

20. - Top - End - #440

Flumph

He says "They are not there to guard the gate alone. They are there as reinforcements."

I always interpreted that as "They are not there solely to guard the gate, but as reinforcements (when they die)." Perhaps as reinforcements for Soon, he meant. But I didn't think he meant that there were many other spirits also there.
    I interpret it as a reinforcements to the other ghost martyrs. Soon also said that it was their oaths to defend the gate that bound their ("us") souls to this world.

I didn't look through all of the strips, but maybe then there were more who came back. Looking at the ends of 448 and 449, I largely see the same people.

(And even if there are some we didn't see, I dunno if that means past members of the Guard also came back, or Rich just got bored of drawing the same characters over and over. There might not be a way to get a real answer to this except from him.)
    447 and 448 are all the same people, also the dead bodies on 449. Other characters only appear as ghost martyrs in 449 and consequent strips.

21. - Top - End - #441

HalflingRogueGuy

If they were enjoying their afterlives they would have been growing away from their mortal experience. When the day came, would spirits evolved into a Devas even remember oaths made by their former mortal selves?

That's why I suppose they need to not die of old or so. A martyr is someone who sacrifice his life, not his afterlife.

Yeah, I didn't revisit the strips before asking, but the rest of what you wrote kind of gets to how I remember it. I don't think the Sapphire Guard, Soon aside, necessarily sign their entire afterlives over to defend the Gate, which seemed to be the question at hand. It just seems like the ones who die in the throne room rise again to fight as spirits. Which would mean there isn't any scenario where the Guard is signing over their entire afterlives in defense of the gate. (I have to suspect there would be far, far more of them if that were the case, considering how long the Guard has existed and surely that many more of them have lived and died than the ones we see fighting in the throne room.)
    Yeah, this too.

I mean, the situation of Soon binding the soul of a paladin to wait eternally instead of enjoy the afterlife is absurd to me, Soon is lawful good and that action seems neutral at the very best.
    Last edited by Vikenlugaid; 2024-05-03 at 10:43 AM.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Ogre in the Playground

That's why I suppose they need to not die of old or so. A martyr is someone who sacrifice his life, not his afterlife.
    It's entirely possible that it only includes paladins who actually died in the process of defending the gate itself.. Which would explain why it appears to mostly be the folks who all died to Xykon's attack, but there appear to be some number of others as well. It's a good bet that while many paladins have died of varius things over the last 50 decades or so, only a small number have died in some kind of direct defense of the gate (well, and then a big number right then and there).

I mean, the situation of Soon binding the soul of a paladin to wait eternally instead of enjoy the afterlife is absurd to me, Soon is lawful good and that action seems neutral at the very best.
    If it was imposed on them, it would be evil. But if they volunteered for this service after death it is neither evil nor good. It's someone making their own choice.

The paladins presuambly willingly bound their own souls to service. Soon did not force or trick them. That's self sacrifice. Nothing there that would violate a lawful good alignment at all.

23. - Top - End - #443
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Ghost Martyr

A martyr dies for his faith. That's just a regular martyr. There is no reason to add Ghost because we already know that martyrs are dead.

Ghost Martyrs don't sacrifice their lives, they sacrifice their afterlives, which makes them different from regular martyrs. That's why they need a special name.

Feel free to disagree. I have nothing to prove my head canon is better than yours.

24. - Top - End - #444

Flumph

It's important enough to highlight that there is many noticeably older characters amongst the newcomers on 449, especially compared to the ones Xykon killed.
    Last edited by Precure; 2024-05-03 at 07:24 PM.

25. - Top - End - #445

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by gbaji View Post
    If it was imposed on them, it would be evil. But if they volunteered for this service after death it is neither evil nor good. It's someone making their own choice.

The paladins presuambly willingly bound their own souls to service. Soon did not force or trick them. That's self sacrifice. Nothing there that would violate a lawful good alignment at all.
    Well, I think that is strongly not good. There are laws against abusive contracts. And people who sing a contract with the devil is also making their own choice.

Ghost Martyr

A martyr dies for his faith. That's just a regular martyr. There is no reason to add Ghost because we already know that martyrs are dead.

Ghost Martyrs don't sacrifice their lives, they sacrifice their afterlives, which makes them different from regular martyrs. That's why they need a special name.

Feel free to disagree. I have nothing to prove my head canon is better than yours.
    Well, I think a ghost martyr is just the ghost of a martyr. All martyrs are dead, but not all dead people are ghosts.
    Last edited by Vikenlugaid; 2024-05-03 at 07:29 PM.

26. - Top - End - #446

Quote Originally Posted by gbaji View Post

We don't know the terms of their binding oaths. Assume, for the sake of argument, that they're bound "as long as the gate needs to be protected". If they're bound to the immediate location of the throne room, fully conscious, with no time slippage and no sleep... that would be pretty unpleasant. All they'd be able to do is to watch what happens in court, and discuss it amongst themselves. Fairly dull stuff. Anyone bring a go board with them?

But they might be able to suspend time, skipping ahead to when interesting things were happening. They might be able to wander around the city, keeping track of events, society, and their own descendants, but drawn back when need arose. They might be able to hob-nob with other incorporeal beings... for broad values of hob-nobbing. It would lack many virtues of being alive, but it wouldn't be all that dire.

27. - Top - End - #447

Ghost Martyr

I never thought about any of this all before this discussion came up, but if I had, the above is exactly how i would have envisioned it. Perfect explanation IMO.

28. - Top - End - #448
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, I think that is strongly not good. There are laws against abusive contracts. And people who sing a contract with the devil is also making their own choice.
    And your post here has a number of assumptions other people don't agree with. Like that this is an abusive contract, or that Soon is the devil (??).

29. - Top - End - #449

And your post here has a number of assumptions other people don't agree with. Like that this is an abusive contract, or that Soon is the devil (??).
    To be fair, assuming the worst of Soon seems pretty commonplace here from what I've observed.
    I'd just like to point out that saying that something unsupported is the case unless someone else can prove that it is not is an utter failure of logic. - Kish

30. - Top - End - #450

One of the more interesting notions I've heard recently is that games are much more than just entertainment. They're practice to help kids develop a framework of understanding how to live as part of a society.

What is "success"? It's running around all four sides of a square, without being touched by a ball that the other team is holding while you're between the corners of the square. How do you accomplish that? Someone on the other team throws the ball in front of you. You get to try to hit it with a stick so that they can't catch it in the air, or touch you with the ball before you get to the first corner, or throw it to someone who's touching the first corner. (Etc.)

But what if I want to play a game that involves throwing darts instead? You can go do that, but we're playing this game. Well, okay - I'll play this game, but I'll catch the ball and throw it instead of hitting it. That's breaking the rules, so you're penalized. I don't like the rules! We should change them! If you can convince everyone then we can play using that rule. (Etc.)

Your mileage may vary, but I think a similar framework has developed around what we call civil discourse and the shared understandings that are necessary to support it.