New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Merchants of Elm (IC)

"Doesn't ring a bell," Bert says with a smile. Turning back in Lonna's direction, he continues: "Those Kites are a stubborn crowd, though. There was a rumour going arounf that they're gonna try to get back into the business. I don't think it's true, though. Nobody is crazy enough to give them a loan."
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lonna

"Why is giving them a loan so crazy? My understanding is that it was the late father of the household who racked up all the debt to begin with. Surely now that he's gone and the old creditors appeased, it would be easier to get a new loan. After all, Asterix was prosperous enough, surely some of the old investors would help out, even if the family is on shaky ground right now."

The comments were addressed to Bert, but Lonna was trying to convince herself as much as anything else. It can't really be that bad.
    I started a blog!
    Beware of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup...

My Player Profile

My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kasanip for the great avatar of Pyrene!
    Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

Burt raises his eyebrows but doesn't miss a beat. "Hush child, no need to get defensive about a family you've never even met is there?" He smiles again. "You go around so excited all the time you'll cause yourself liver problems and then you'll end up like old Bert here, barely able to lift his sorry butt up in the morning. And I tell you, none of their creditors are appeased. They took the house, the business, the goods, sure, but that didn't cover a tenth of what was owed. The only way they have enough copper to spit on is if they hid it somewhere during the bankruptcy proceedings. They were hounded. Mister are you gonna give Jonae some business or did you just come here to watch an old gimp lecture his surrogate daughter?"
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2008-02-15 at 12:22 PM.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

Uncle Saker

A few minutes slowly creep past in the cottage as Saker goes from rambling hopelessness to numb despair and then on into self-recrimination.

He's a hearty man used to taking losses and moving on, but never before has a loss been quite so personal nor hope crushing. Also, he's rarely had the luxury of time, so the depth of the wound and the absence of urgency soon leaves him feeling hopeless and depressed as the weight of reality settles a little more firmly on his shoulders.

In the end his jumbled murmurs cease, and after a long moment of silence Saker gives a sigh and lifts his dulled eyes from the floor to his nephews. After a few false starts he manages to intelligently ask: "Where... how... yes... How did Orikedes... my brother, leave this land... and us? What felled my him in the end?"

My Homebrew.

Master Ref Of the Arena Tournament!
    Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Arena Combatants: | Dense | Mad Al | Twang | De'Athbypro Xie

5. - Top - End - #125
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Rustin hated the deception game. He wasn't very good at it. He sighed for a moment, putting his hand to his head. In his head, he was just tired, to anyone looking, he might be annoyed. "I will go at my own pace old man. I don't need any hurrying or rushing."

Rustin waited a few moments longer, he wanted to hear the curiousness happening at the Kite manor, but that's when he realized what Bert was trying to do. Privacy. Get rid of the wanderer to speak of whatever else the girl wished to know without prying ears. He took one long look around the place. "Hmpf" He said and strode out of the store. He then turned and followed down the street a bit, before turning his attention to the stalls nearby without having someone harrass him about time. He wandered slowly and kept an eye out for the girl to leave the place.
    I heard a voice from above, claiming to be in charge of my destiny. After shooting it twice, it never came back.” – From Floral Justice

“Fear is only a Dream – so dream, my little one, dream” – R.K. Milholland

“Whenever someone asks me to be completely candid, part of me wonders if they know what they’re getting into, and another part of me is scared they just might…” – R.K. Milholland

6. - Top - End - #126

Lonna

Her friendly smile and calm demeanor re-established, but Lonna sighs inwardly. She knows that she showed too much, gave too much away, and Bert will likely demand a fee for more information, knowing that she still had some real concern for the family she abandoned. Bert's pre-occupation with the sell-sword was probably a reminder that he had other "customers" and that they would pay him for his gossip, unlike Lonna.

"Bert, I have to be going, but before I do, will you answer me one last question? If someone were to ask me where in this gods-forsaken rat maze of a city the Kites have holed up, what should I tell them?"

(The following comes after Bert responds, whether nor not he is helpful.)

"As always, Bert, a pleasure doing business with you." says Lonna blandly. "Boy. William, wasn't it? My business here is finished; let's go."

Without looking to see if he followed, Lonna turned on her heel and strolled casually out of the cobbler shop. Turning randomly down the covered alley, Lonna waits until she is well out of Bert and Jonae's sight before sagging against the nearest wall, half-covering her face with one hand. My siblings on the street? It can't be... Padraeg will probably be all right; he'll see it all as a big game. Garrin is old enough to take care of himself, especially if the rumors are true and he's gotten into magic. Natsume though, she's so quiet, so timid... she'll never survive. Life on the street is too rough for someone like her.

"I have to help them." So unexpected is the thought that Lonna says it out loud, lowering her hand as if she were about to look for the speaker. "They need help. I will help them." She repeats the idea, as if to cement it in her consciousness, then straightens, her plans made. First I'll leave William with his gang, as I promised. Then I will seek out my family, for the first time in five years, and offer my assistance.
    I started a blog!

My Player Profile

My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #127
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

His watchful eye notices the young girl and the boy leave the cobblers shop and quickly moves down the street, disheartening some person who thought him a buyer. He makes sure she is out of sight before turning into the shop. He finds Bert and gives him a small smile. "Bert is it? Doing well, I assume? Any more bad legs or fingers?"
    I heard a voice from above, claiming to be in charge of my destiny. After shooting it twice, it never came back.” – From Floral Justice

“Whenever someone asks me to be completely candid, part of me wonders if they know what they’re getting into, and another part of me is scared they just might…” – R.K. Milholland

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ettin in the Playground

Lonna: in answer to your last question, Bert seemed uncommonly stumped. "They've up and disappeared, girl. Probably out there in the maze somewhere but no one has had the pleasure of renting to them. No word that they left town, that's for sure."

To Rustin: When Bert sees, er, hears you come back in he laughs. When you ask about his bad leg/hand he answers, "More than you can count. So what is it you really want?"

9. - Top - End - #129
    Dwarf in the Playground

((Sorry about the delay ^^ REALLY busy weekend. @.@ Had a Wolfenstien tabletop Game Saturday night, followed by a WoD LARP until 1-2 am, then slept until noon Sunday, when I had over 12 hours of tabletop with the campus group here. >.< Luckily I don't have to do anything in classes today...))

William

Trailing quickly behind Lonna, William blinked for a moment, not quite sure what to do. He didn't want to admit the truth to this woman, and depending on how much he told her, her life could be in danger, but it was bound to come out when they tried to find his gang...

"Erm, eh, who do you want to help?"
    He asked, trying to sound naive, "Those 'Kite' people? Let me help!"

He was just stalling, and he knew it, but it was the best he could do at this point, at the very least, if he was going to tell her what was happening, he wanted to be off the street when it happened.
    Last edited by Sornas; 2008-02-18 at 12:54 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Sornas by Lord Iames Osari, Thanks! ^_^

Spoiler
    Show
    My mind is a swirling miasma of scintillating thoughts and turgid ideas.
    Luke, I Am Your Tedious, Overused Plot Device!

10. - Top - End - #130

Quote Originally Posted by Sornas View Post
    William

"Erm, eh, who do you want to help?"
    He asked, trying to sound naive, "Those 'Kite' people? Let me help!"
    Lonna

Lonna looks at William sharply, really looking at him for the first time. Whether his innocent aura was an act or natural she can't tell, and frankly doesn't care. She's tired, her arm is sore, and she has just been given bad news.

"If you're going to hide something, at least keep your story consistent," she advises William wearily. "Ten minutes ago you were warning me I could be in danger for helping you and now you want to help me? I don't buy it. Now, where is the closest rendevous point for your gang? I have things to do and I can't have you trailing after me all day."
    Last edited by Lonna; 2008-02-19 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Wrong color speech + removing text.
    I started a blog!

My Player Profile

My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #131
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

"Information and, if you have any, a job." Rustin said. He leaned against the counter that Jonae is standing behind. "Sorry about earlier... There are some good reasons why I don't spy on others." He said with a slight smile. "I was hoping for some information about the going on's in Karr."

12. - Top - End - #132
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

(er, oops. Double post. sorry.)
    Last edited by McMindflayer; 2008-02-18 at 02:06 PM.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Halfling in the Playground

Draego

After a couple of minutes, leaves Uncle Saker to come to terms on his own and fiddles around in his room. Accomplishing nothing, but thinking about the days to come. Coming back to the present and looking forward to the future. After about 10 minutes of this, he comes out of the room.

"Come on, everybody! The best cure for sadness is action. You should come with us on the trading trip Uncle Saker. We could use your help and experience."

OOC: What is the tradition for saying good bye to someone? Is there a thing like a wake in this world? Should we make a pyre?
    The significance of man is that he is insignificant and is aware of it.
    - Carl Becker

14. - Top - End - #134
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lonna View Post
    Lonna

Lonna looks at William sharply, really looking at him for the first time. Though he is thin and gives off the childish innocence of a twelve year-old, she realizes he can't be more than a year or two younger than herself.

"If you're going to hide something, at least keep your story consistent," she advises William wearily. "Ten minutes ago you were warning me I could be in danger for helping you and now you want to help me? I don't buy it. Now, where is the closest rendevous point for your gang? I have things to do and I can't have you trailing after me all day."
    ((Actually, William really is 13 :P))

William

William sighed, it looked like he didn't have much of a choice here, but he wasn't about to tell her any details that may put her at risk.

"I...don't have a gang. " He mumbled quietly, instinctively recoiling out of fear of being struck. "I did, but they're all gone, those guards got them all for what we saw." He kept his eyes on the ground, thinking about what he had seen and heard.

"I'm sorry you got hurt because of me." He said, his voice staying low. "I can't tell you why, because they would be after you too if you knew, and I am putting you in danger by being here. I should go, but thank you for saving me."

He bit his lower lip, refusing to make eye contact with the woman. He glanced around, looking for what looked to be a safe route, and began to walk in that direction.
    Last edited by Sornas; 2008-02-18 at 03:37 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #135

Spoiler
    Show
    ((Actually, William really is 13 :P))

William

William sighed, it looked like he didn't have much of a choice here, but he wasn't about to tell her any details that may put her at risk.

"I...don't have a gang. " He mumbled quietly, instinctively recoiling out of fear of being struck. "I did, but they're all gone, those guards got them all for what we saw." He kept his eyes on the ground, thinking about what he had seen and heard.

"I'm sorry you got hurt because of me." He said, his voice staying low. "I can't tell you why, because they would be after you too if you knew, and I am putting you in danger by being here. I should go, but thank you for saving me."

He bit his lower lip, refusing to make eye contact with the woman. He glanced around, looking for what looked to be a safe route, and began to walk in that direction.

OOC: Oh, scratch the age comment then... I had assumed 15 because that's the lowest age in the range listed for PCs in the family history section of the the first post.

Lonna

Lonna watches the boy walk away for only a moment before making up her mind. I can't believe I'm doing this, she thinks, but he just looks too much like Go-Go always did when he had gotten into mischief and was about to get a tanning.

"Bo- William!" she calls. Trotting after him, she catches at his shoulder with her good hand, turning him to face her and lifting his chin so that he has to look her in the eyes. Her eyes are full of compassion, though not pity, and her voice is quiet but intense as she slips into the street slang she learned when she first ran away from home.

"Listen te me. I don't know what kinda trouble you're in, but if you think I'm goin te just abandon ya - with nobs hunting ya and no gang te protect ya - you're crazed. I ended up on the streets when I was your age or a little younger, so I know what it's like at the best o' times. And I never had no nobs chasing me, jest gangs what didn't want a skinny gal what couldn't pick pockets.

"As for me getting hurt because of ya, don't be a ninny. What did you think them nobs was goin ta do once they pinned me in a corner, give me flowers? I got off lightly because ya distracted the bastards and then took one of 'em out for me. If nothin else, I owe ya for that. I don't know what ya saw that ya shouldn't and frankly I don't care. That's your business and you'll tell me if I need te know."
    Lonna dropped the street cant before continuing, to ensure that William understood that she was completely serious.

"Because from now on, William, you have two choices. You can try to make your own way, with guards hunting you, always hungry, and no safe places to hide for more than an hour or two. Or you can come with me, and I'll protect you. If you want, I'll teach you, just like my teacher taught and protected me when she caught me trying to pick her pocket four years ago.

With that, Lonna releases William and takes a half-step back, waiting for his response.
    Last edited by Lonna; 2008-02-19 at 03:28 PM.
    I started a blog!

My Player Profile

My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

Acanthe: Natsume waits for a while, chattering about the yawl and tapping her foot impatiently. When Uncle Saker doesn't come back with a train of siblings she finally says to you, "They're taking forever. Let's go get them." And she heads off toward the bungalow.

Rustin:
    "Easy Enough," Bert replies, and he begins to prattle off some basic news from Karr. Some of it is interesting, but none of it is particularly germane to your career. He drops the occasional hint that his services may be of more value if he was receiving value for his services.

((OOC, remember that employees tend to receive wages of 1 silver ring per level per day, and double if anything dangerous is involved. I'll let you guess what level commoner Bert is.))

17. - Top - End - #137
    Dwarf in the Playground

((Gah, class in 8 hours, and I can't sleep >.< As for the age thing, yeah, I had to get permission from AP :P))

William
    ((Oh, one more thing I should note, if no one minds, I occasionally post links to music for specific posts, to set a tone. ^^))

((Open up your mind- Saiyuki OST))

William was stunned. He had never been offered anything, not since the days with Mr. Tilum had anyone offered to help him without expecting anything in return.

As he looked into this woman's face, he saw something he hadn't seen for years: true, honest caring. The kind of look that went deeper than repaying a favor.

As the tears welled up in his eyes, words failed him. Bathed in the light of the morning sun as it spilled into the alley, everything seemed like a dream, come to wake him from the nightmare of the past few days.

Unable to choke down his tears, William could do nothing but nod, glomping onto Lonna like a child far younger than his actual age, sobbing.

He knew that there would be a lot to learn, for both of them, and if Lonna would accept him after finding out the whole truth about him, he didn't know, but for just a fleeting moment, the sun at his back, and this woman in front of him, he didn't care.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

Saker

"Boys?" The uncle blinks and looks dully around for his nephews who seem to have quietly left him alone with his grief. For a moment longer he leans back and stares at the ceiling uncertain of what to do next when Draego pops back into the room.

Quote Originally Posted by roninkelt View Post
    Draego
    "Come on, everybody! The best cure for sadness is action. You should come with us on the trading trip Uncle Saker. We could use your help and experience."
    "You'd really take on some one with my kind of luck? All I'm good for is surviving disasters. I'll... I'll have to think about that, about the joining you on the trading trip. I guess I ought, no need to be doing something now though." He says slowly. "I need to think things over. For now... Well, could you just tell me where Orikedes was buried so I can pay respects? I want to see his grave, as well as know how he died."

My Homebrew.

Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #139

((Cool music for the post; I liked it. :D))

Lonna

As William buried his face in her tunic, Lonna returned the embrace. Looking down at the tousled hair that was all she could see of Williams head, she lifted a hand and gingerly began to smooth it down. The hug was somehow both alien and familiar, and Lonna tried to remember the last time she had embraced anyone. That last year at home I certainly never did. And I sincerely doubt that the street - wait! The memory struck suddenly, bringing tears to Lonna's own eyes. Of course, she had done much what William was doing now when her own teacher had offered to take her off the streets.

"It's all right," she murmured, deliberately echoing her teacher's words to her on that occasion. "Everything will be all right now. I'll make sure of it."

Once William calmed down, Lonna quickly wiped her eyes, then looked at her new charge. "Now that we're going to be together for a while, I think I owe you a bit of an explanation, since I'm about to drag you off to help a bunch of people you've never met." She sighed, trying to decide how to begin. "Five years ago I ran away from home. I thought I never wanted anything to do with my family again, so I came here to Shanty Town and never used my family name. Some people knew, of course, but it was better than nothing. Now it seems I'm going to have to claim that name again." Lonna took a deep breath, as if preparing to say something unpleasant. "My family name is Kite. My full name is Lonna Achyllea Kite. My father was Orikedes Kite and my mother is Achangea, who no longer claims the Kite name."
    I started a blog!

My Player Profile

My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #140
    Dwarf in the Playground

((Thanks ^^ The Gensomaden Saiyuki soundtrack has some of the BEST stuff))

William

William nodded, a bit embarrassed at his outburst. Still brushing the tears from his eyes, he tried to regain his composure before making eye contact with Lonna. If he was going to be her student, he needed to learn to keep his cool a little bit better.

"I understand...you should know about me too, but I don't know what I can tell you. I'm just William. I don't really have a family name..." He pondered for a moment, "I suppose you could call me William Urnon, since Mr. Tilum was sort of like my father." He frowned an elongated frown, a gesture similar to a shrug.

"I lived in Karr for most of my life...before coming here and joining the Stone beasts." The hole in the middle of his story was glaring, but he made no move to correct it, obviously finding it uncomfortable.

Quickly changing the subject, he became much more energetic. "Alright then! Let's go help your family! I've heard of the Kites, aren't they really rich?"

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #141

William

"I lived in Karr for most of my life...before coming here and joining the Stone beasts." The hole in the middle of his story was glaring, but he made no move to correct it, obviously finding it uncomfortable.

Quickly changing the subject, he became much more energetic. "Alright then! Let's go help your family! I've heard of the Kites, aren't they really rich?"
    Lonna

Lonna smiled at William's enthusiasm, deciding she would wait and let him reveal his past in his own time. "They were really rich," she corrected gently. Then her voice took on a bitter note as she continued.

"The man who fathered me was a drunkard, and he oversaw the family business from his cups, when he bothered to oversee it at all. By the time I left, the company was already failing, and things only got worse in the years that followed." Lonna shook her head, as if to dispell unpleasant memories, then continued more cheerfully.

"Come on then. If the rumor is true and my siblings are trying to revive the family business, they will need a yawl. We'll start by asking about recent yawl sales. If nothing else, perhaps merchants who worked with the Kites in the past will have some idea where I can find them now."
    I started a blog!

My Player Profile

My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ettin in the Playground

Padraeg, Garrin, and Saker:

As Saker finishes speaking, the door of the bungalow flies open and Natsume tromps in. "Come on slowpokes, let's go!" she bawls out, then stops as she sees Saker's mood. Her expression turns instantly sour and she sort of cringes. "Oh, you told him, huh?"

23. - Top - End - #143
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Garrin

"Of course we told him... it's not a secret and he deserves to know. anyway, you're right, we need to get going." He starts heading for the door.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

24. - Top - End - #144
    Halfling in the Playground

Padraeg

puts a hand on Uncle Saker's shoulder and tells him where Father is buried. "I really meant what I said about coming along with us... See you at the docks or when we get back."

He'll trot out the door after Garrin and Natsume.
    The significance of man is that he is insignificant and is aware of it.
    - Carl Becker

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ettin in the Playground

Lonna/William:

When you reach the Warehouse District it takes some asking around to get any word of the Kites. Most of the overseers and agents at the different warehouse complexes either don't know anything or else simply recount to you how the Kites went completely out of business almost a year ago. If they really are making a comeback they haven't gotten the word out.

Eventually, however, you get a different answer. On the western edge of the District near the yawl runs* is a large fenced-in compound where small wqrehouses are lent out to a number of different enterprises. When you mention the Kite name to the trafficking agent in the office near the gate, his head snaps up. "Oh, are you here for Achyllea?"

((*Yawl runs are long tracks of soil or sand where yawls land. They do this by simply scraping down onto the earth, and the "yawl runs" are half-mile-long grooves made by years of hulls touching down in the same spot.))

Rustin: Dunno if you saw since you were away but Bert gave you a response up above and asked for a bribe.

Acanthe: You see the siblings come out of the bungalow, but not the old uncle.
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2008-02-22 at 03:52 PM.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

Saker

Saker watches what's left of his family leave and sighs. Perhaps he would join his brother's children on their venture, he could use the 'vacation' to think his life over, but still...

With a second deeper sigh he picks up his belongings from where they had fallen and moves them to a corner, and then gives himself a tour of the cottage trying to get a loose since of how the kids are living.

((Is it still raining?))

My Homebrew.

Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #147

Quote Originally Posted by Another_Poet View Post
    Lonna/William:

When you reach the Warehouse District it takes some asking around to get any word of the Kites. Most of the overseers and agents at the different warehouse complexes either don't know anything or else simply recount to you how the Kites went completely out of business almost a year ago. If they really are making a comeback they haven't gotten the word out.

Eventually, however, you get a different answer. On the western edge of the District near the yawl runs* is a large fenced-in compound where small wqrehouses are lent out to a number of different enterprises. When you mention the Kite name to the trafficking agent in the office near the gate, his head snaps up. "Oh, are you here for Achyllea?"
    Lonna

Lonna's eyes widen at the sound of her grandmother's name. "Not exactly," she answers. "I... I have a connection to the Kite household, but I haven't been in contact with the family for several years. I was in town for the festival when I heard that they had fallen on hard times, so I've been looking for them to offer what assistance I can. Is it true that they are trying to revive the business?"
    I started a blog!

My Player Profile

My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ettin in the Playground

Saker:

The house is cozy, but from the packed earth floor to the paltry foodstuffs to the rough-hewn wooden furniture, it is certainly nothing like the mansion it sits next to.

The rain outside is very light now, barely more than a mist.

Lonna:

The man behind the counter looks somehow vexed and apathetic at once. "Yeah, okay," he says after a pause. "So are you taking this yawl or what?"

29. - Top - End - #149

Quote Originally Posted by Another_Poet View Post
    The man behind the counter looks somehow vexed and apathetic at once. "Yeah, okay," he says after a pause. "So are you taking this yawl or what?"
    "Um, no," replied Lonna, not sure how to respond to this. "However, if you don't mind, I would like to remain here until the Kites come to retrieve it."
    I started a blog!

My Player Profile

My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #150
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Rustin

Rustin listened politely as Bert went on. The information was useless to anybody but a busybody. Rustin was about to give up on Bert, when the first hint came. He grinned as he got the idea right away. It was foolish to think that Bert would help out a random stranger for nothing. "Right Bert" Rustin said, cutting him off. "I get it. what knowledge is worth 10 silver?" Rustin Pulls out 10 silver peices and holds them between his first finger and thumb.
    Last edited by McMindflayer; 2008-02-23 at 06:13 PM.