New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Any Orc/Goblinoid Fans??

Ooo, a new prestige! Should be interesante, me be thinking.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

2. - Top - End - #932
    Titan in the Playground

Got Batu up cept one ability. ANy thoughts?
    Revised avatar by Trixie, New avvie by Crisis21!
    Mah Fluffy Death Critters
    Orcs and Goblins
    Behold the Power of Kitteh!
    Backup threads available here

3. - Top - End - #933
    Ettin in the Playground

I'd make the bonii Con-based and possibly give more unique powers, as it's kinda bland currently in comparison to the fluff.
    Last edited by Cieyrin; 2010-01-05 at 07:32 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

4. - Top - End - #934
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    I'd make the bonii Con-based and possibly give more unique powers, as it's kinda bland currently in comparison to the fluff.
    Being a 3rd level Vestige he's not all that powerful unfortunately. I tried to make abilities that fit in with the fluff somehow. Oh and the Calm ability is up.

I can make the abilities more interesting with the PrC
    Orcs and Goblins

5. - Top - End - #935
    Titan in the Playground

BATU'S DISCIPLES

[IMG]Picture URL[/IMG]

"Nothing will end war unless the people themselves refuse to go to war."

Orcs who choose the path of the Binder usually find themselves relentlessly pursued by Gruumsh's priests. It is inevitable that they discover Batu and learn to Bind him. Almost all Orcish Binders eventually become one of the Disicples, so long as they reject the typical ways of Orc society.

BECOMING A DISCIPLE
    Being born an outcast in Orc society who becomes a Binder is all that's really required. Most Binders who are Orcs find their way to Batu eventually, almost as if they are drawn to him.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
    Race: Any Orcish
    Special: Cannot worship the Orcish pantheon
    Binding: Must be able to Bind Batu
    Skills: Bluff +4, Diplomacy +4, Knowledge (History) +4
    Feats: Favored Vestige (Batu)

Class Skills
    The Disciple's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Knowledge (Arcana, Geography, History, Religion, The Planes)(Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), and Survival (Wis).
    Skills Points at Each Level : 2 + int

Hit Dice: d8

Code:
       BAB  Fort    Ref    Will  Abilities
    1. +0    +2     +0     +2    Atheist
    2. +1    +3     +0     +3    Diplomat
    3. +2    +3     +1     +3    Reluctant Warrior
    4. +3    +4     +1     +4    Atheist
    5. +3    +4     +1     +4    Diplomat
    6. +4    +5     +2     +5    Reluctant Warrior
    7. +5    +5     +2     +5    Atheist
    8. +6    +6     +2     +6    Diplomat
    9. +6    +6     +3     +6    Reluctant Warrior
    10.+7    +7     +3     +7   Herald
    Weapon Proficiencies: A Disciple gains no new weapon or armor proficiencies.

Atheist (Su): Whenever you Bind Batu the ability he grants to resist Divine Magic gradually increases in power. Beginning at 1st level you gain Spell Resistance equal to 10 plus your Disciple Level plus your Charisma Modifier, but only against Divine Magic.

At 4th level whenever your Spell Resistance is successful in stopping a Divine Magic spell, you magically heal hit points equal to the spells level x2.

At 7th level if you are required to make a Save against a Divine Magic spell to halve damage (or if it has a partial effect with a successful Save), you take no damage (or effect) on a successful Save.

Diplomat (Su): Whenever you Bind Batu, the abilities he grants you to influence others is increased. At 2nd level the range of your Batu's Calming Influence Ability is increased to 20'. It increases again to 40' at level 5, and 60' at level 8.

Reluctant Warrior (Su): Batu's Disciples prefer to avoid combat, but are not by any means pacifist. Beginning at level 3, whenever they have Batu bound, they gain a +2 Enhancement Bonus to all attack and damage rolls against any opponent who initiates a fight against them without provocation. At level 6 they also gain a +2 Deflection Bonus to AC against these same foes. At level 9 the Bonuses increase to +4.

Herald (Su): When Binding Batu, your opponents no longer get a Saving Throw against the Calming Influence he grants you, and you can reroll an Attack or Damage roll a number of times per day equal to your Charisma Modifier against any opponent who initiates a fight against you.

PLAYING A DISCIPLE
    You hate your brother Orcs. They've mistreated and hounded you for all your life calling you a weakling. Calling you useless. And what happens the moment you discover a little bit of power? They accuse you of apostasy and use it as an excuse to hunt you like a dog. Jealous, all of them.
    Combat: Except for your enemies you try to avoid combat. Your enemies of course being worshipers of the Orcish Pantheon (and to an extent any worshiper of the Gods really). Them you'll fight, but preferably from ambush or using traps. They do vastly outnumber you after all.
    Advancement: Disciples value knowledge above all, as well as the building of a safe homeland for the Orcs who do not wish to participate in Grummsh's endless war against the other races. These two ideals drive virtually all their decisions.
    Resources: The Disciples really only have each other to rely on, and quite honestly none of them are wealthy (most are dirt poor).

DISCIPLES IN THE WORLD
    "HEATHENS!"
    The Disciples want peace for their kin, but realize most won't accept it. For now they are content to be living in exile hiding from their brethren. But as t heir numbers increase that will not be possible, and they have no other allies in the world. Life will become increasingly tough for them.
    Daily Life: Much of your time is spent studying the art of Binding in secret, and spying on the outside world. Past events have shown many of you that allies outside your own circle are unreliable, so rarely do you offer aid to others or seek it from them. You are neutral observers waiting for the right moment. The right moment for what you're unsure of, but you hope you recognize it when it comes.
    Notables: Singh (CN Male Orc Binder 6/Batu's Disicple 6) is the local leader of a cell of Disciples. He finds himself in the unenviable position of being allowed to stay within the walls of a human fortress as long as he can advise them on dealing with the local Orc threat (i.e. the tribe most of his people left behind).
    Organizations: The Disciples are their own organization, and one horribly underfunded and with little political or temporal power. There are much more powerful organizations dedicated to opposing both them (the Church of Gruumsh) and Binders (The Order of Seropaenes).

NPC Reaction
    NPC's are usually frightened by your abilities, especially if religious. The Orcs hate you, many Paladins are sworn to hunt you down, and your only allies are the few rejects who don't fit into mainstream Orc society.

DISCIPLES IN THE GAME
    Being as they are Binders, and of a stereotypically Evil race, the Disciples are in for a hard life. make sure players know this when they become one.
    Adaptation: This is probably better off for darker campaigns where the Orcs are a significant presence.
    Encounters: Disciples can sometimes be found raiding Orc villages to free their kindred or like minded individuals. Other than that they try to stay in hiding unless desperate.

Sample Encounter
    EL 12: The PC's have been asked to bodyguard for an Orc who will be trying to negotiate with the Orc horde surrounding the city.

Singh
    CN Male Orc Binder 6/Batu's Disicple 6
    Init +0, Senses: Listen +0, Spot +0, Dark Vision 60'
    Languages Common, Orc
    ------------------------------------------------
    AC 23, touch 13, flat-footed 23 (+10 Armor, +3 Deflection)
    hp 78 (12 HD)
    Fort +12, Ref +5, Will +10
    Speed 30 ft. (6 squares)
    Melee +3 Morningstar +13/+8 (1d8+5)
    Base Atk +8, Grp +10
    Atk Options Reluctant Warrior (+2)
    Combat Gear 3 Potions of Cure Serious Wounds
    -----------------------------------------------
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 10, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 14
    SQ Soul Binding, Pact Augmentation (2 Abilities), Suppress Sign, Soul Guardian (Immune to Fear), Atheist (SR 18), Diplomat (40'),
    Feats Favored Vestige (Batu), Armor Proficiency (Medium)(B)
    Skills Bluff +8, Diplomacy +8, Gather Information +5, Hide +3, Intimidate +7, Knowledge (History) +4, Listen +3, Move Silently +3, Sense Motive +4 (+14 w/Mask)
    Possessions +5 Breastplate, +3 Defending Morningstar, +3 Ring of Protection, Crystal Mask of Discernment, 3 Potions of Cure Serious Wounds, 92 GP

EPIC BATU'S DISCIPLE

Hit Die: d8
    Atheist Your Spell Resistance continues to increase with Epic levels.
    Bonus Feats: The Epic Disciple gains a Bonus Feat every 3 levels higher than 20th
    Last edited by Bhu; 2010-01-17 at 06:43 AM.
    Orcs and Goblins

6. - Top - End - #936
    Titan in the Playground

Following some advice on the BG forums, I have redid one of Batu's granted powers. You likee?
    Orcs and Goblins

7. - Top - End - #937
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Knowing as little as I do about vestiges in general, I still think Batu is very cool. And I totally dig the name.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

8. - Top - End - #938
    Titan in the Playground

Finished fluff for the Disciples. Powers comin tomorow if i get out of work early nuff.
    Orcs and Goblins

9. - Top - End - #939
    Titan in the Playground

Atheist ability is up.
    Orcs and Goblins

10. - Top - End - #940
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm thinking the Disciples should probably be completely atheist, not just from the Orcish pantheon. Just my copper piece.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

11. - Top - End - #941
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    I'm thinking the Disciples should probably be completely atheist, not just from the Orcish pantheon. Just my copper piece.
    They are. They just have a chip on the shoulder via the Orcish gods.
    Orcs and Goblins

12. - Top - End - #942
    Titan in the Playground

Got everything up cept capstone. Any thoughts on the abilities?
    Orcs and Goblins

13. - Top - End - #943
    Titan in the Playground

Disciples are done other than example NPC (well it needs a few feats). If you guys like it I shall start the next PrC.
    Last edited by Bhu; 2010-01-16 at 07:32 AM.
    Orcs and Goblins

14. - Top - End - #944
    Titan in the Playground

Okay after this one there may be an Epic PrC or two as I have promised them to Eikonos (among others)

THE HORNS OF AMON

[IMG]Picture URL[/IMG]

"The sun has not yet set for all time."

Not all Orc Binders who reject Gruumsh's plan for their race end up as Disciples of Batu. Many meet a Vestige more to their liking long before they learn to Bind him. Amon is a violent, angry Vestige, which is appealing to the Orc heart. Just because one disagrees with Gruumsh doesn't imply that he is a pacifist, or has given up violence as a way of solving problems if it is necessary. The Horns of Amon are well versed in violence...

BECOMING A HORN
    Being an Orc Binder able to Bind Amon and being accepted by the Cult is all that's necessary.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
    Race: Orcish
    Binding: Must be able to Bind Amon, Cannot Suppress Amon's Sign when Binding him (if you do, you cannot Bind him again for 24 hours)
    Feats: Favored Vestige (Amon), Favored Vestige Focus, Rapid Recovery
    Skills: Knowledge (Arcana, Religion) 4 ranks

Class Skills
    The Horn's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Decipher Script (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (Arcane, History, Religion, The Planes)(Int), and Sense Motive (Wis).

Hit Dice: d8

Code:
       BAB  Fort    Ref    Will  Abilities
    1. +0    +2     +0     +2    Breath of the God, +1 Effective Binder Level
    2. +1    +3     +0     +3    Wisdom of the God, +1 Effective Binder Level
    3. +2    +3     +1     +3    Protection of the God, +1 Effective Binder Level
    4. +3    +4     +1     +4    Breath of the God, +1 Effective Binder Level
    5. +3    +4     +1     +4    Wisdom of the God, +1 Effective Binder Level
    6. +4    +5     +2     +5    Protection of the God, +1 Effective Binder Level
    7. +5    +5     +2     +5    Breath of the God, +1 Effective Binder Level
    8. +6    +6     +2     +6    Wisdom of the God, +1 Effective Binder Level
    9. +6    +6     +3     +6    Protection of the God, +1 Effective Binder Level
    10.+7    +7     +3     +7   Priest of the God, +1 Effective Binder Level
    Weapon Proficiencies: A Horn of Amon gains no new armor proficiencies, but does become proficient with any one martial weapon.

Breath of the God (Su): At 1st level when Binding Amon you need only wait 3 rounds to use the Fire Breath ability he grants, and the range increases by +10'.

At 3rd level you need only wait 2 rounds to use the Fire Breath ability he grants, and the range increases by +20'.

At 3rd level the damage of the Fire Breath ability changes from Fire to untyped.

Wisdom of the God (Su): At 2nd, 5th, and 8th levels you gain access to a Domain. You can cast one Domain spell of each level you have access to as a Cleric of your Binder level (you choose at the beginning of the day which Domain it comes from). You gain access to the Fire Domain at 2nd level, the Sun Domain at 5th, and the Wrath Domain at 8th.

Protection of the God (Su): At 3rd level you no longer suffer from Light Sensitivity, and gain Fire Resistance 3.

At 6th level your Fire Resistance increases to 5, and you are immune to being Blinded.

At 9th level you become immune to Fire and heat damage.

Priest of the God (Su): Whenever you Bind Amon now, your type becomes Outsider with the Fire, Native, and Chaos subtypes. His BAB also increases to become equal to his HD, and all his Saves become good Saves until Amon is no longer bound.

PLAYING A HORN
    The Horns of Amon have it in their heads that by converting enough beings to his worship they can resurrect the former God from his Vestige status. Obviously they haven't thought this through very well considering Amon has significant anger management issues, not to mention it would lead the Order of the Seropaenes to believe their worst fears were justified...
    Combat: You rely on your granted abilities in combat, fighting with weapons only if you must. Until the cult gains more members and societal influence you actually wish to avoid fighting. no sense drawing attention to yourself.
    Advancement: Being religious fanatics of a sort, the Horns of Amon devote themselves to being better priests of the God they wish to resurrect.
    Resources: The Horns of Amon are basically a small cult among the Orcs as of this moment. They have whatever resources their individual members can pool together (which isn't much).

HORNS IN THE WORLD
    "Shan likes fire a little too much for my taste."
    The other Orcs consider you misguided at best, and a heretic needing death if they discover what you're really up to. To other humanoids outside the tribe...well you're still just a filthy Orc rapist. Basically getting people to trust you isn't easy. You're hanging out with Vestiges doesn't help much.
    Daily Life: Your day is taken up by various activities for the cult, much of which requires you to go on various errands. And what better way to disguise what you're up to than by hooking up with an adventuring party going the same way as your goal.
    Notables: Shan (CN Male Orc Binder 6/Horn of Amon 6) is an outcast from the Orc tribes trying to make it in the outside world as a mercenary. He's had some success, but must stay a step ahead of a great deal of enemies.
    Organizations: The Horns of Amon are a small cult, and as of now they only have a very few members among the Orc race. It's possible they'll expand to the other humanoids someday, but for now it's current members have difficulty trusting non Orcish Humanoids.

NPC Reaction
    Your an Orc. Even worse you're an odder Orc than usual. Everyone assumes you were cast out for the Gods know what unmentionable deeds. So take the usual hesitance/disgust shown towards Orcs and magnify that.

HORNS IN THE GAME
    The Horns will have a lot of enemies who want them dead. And their 'God' will want them to do 'holy missions'. Translation: They may end up dominating play time if you let them since everyone will constantly have to fend off attacks meant to kill them.
    Adaptation: This is possibly meant for a dark campaign best depending on how you as a DM play Amon.
    Encounters: The Horns can be found almost anywhere on bizarre errands for Amon. They have no diea what they're doing or why, just that they need to.

Sample Encounter
    EL 12: A local mercenary company has been devastated, and the PC's need cash. You can see where this is going. They sign up, and one of the few surviving members is one of the oddest Orcs they've ever seen...

Shan
    CN Male Orc Binder 6/Horn of Amon 6
    Init +3, Senses: Listen +0, Spot +0, Dark Vision 60'
    Languages Orc, Common
    AC 23, touch 12, flat-footed 23 (-1 Dex, +9 Armor, +3 Deflection, +2 Natural)
    hp 78 (12 HD)
    Fort +12, Ref +3, Will +10
    Speed 30 ft. (6 squares)
    Melee +1 Falchion +13/+8 (2d4+7 plus 1d6 Fire)
    Base Atk +8, Grp +12
    Atk Options Breath of the God
    Combat Gear 4 Potions of Cure Serious Wounds, 1 Potion of Haste
    Abilities Str 18, Dex 9, Con 14, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 14
    SQ Wisdom of the God (Fire and Sun Domains), Protection of the God (Fire Resistance 5, Immune to being Blinded, no longer has Light Sensitivity), Pact Augmentation (2 abilities), Soul Binding, Suppress Sign, Soul Guardian (Immune to Fear)
    Feats Empower Supernatural Ability (Fire Breath), Favored Vestige (Amon), Favored Vestige Focus, Improved Initiative, Rapid Recovery, Martial Weapon Proficiency (Falchion)
    Skills Concentration +6, Intimidate +3, Knowledge (Arcana, Religion) +3
    Possessions +1 Charging Flaming Burst Falchion, +5 Chain Shirt, +3 Ring of Protection, +2 Amulet of Natural Armor, 4 Potions of Cure Serious Wounds, 1 Potion of Haste, 625 GP

EPIC HORNS OF AMON

Hit Die: d8
    Binding Your Binder level continues to increase with Epic Level.
    Bonus Feats: The Epic Horn gains a Bonus Feat every 2 levels higher than 20th
    Last edited by Bhu; 2010-01-23 at 04:28 AM.
    Orcs and Goblins

15. - Top - End - #945
    Titan in the Playground

Got most of the Horns class abilities up, and a little of the fluff.
    Orcs and Goblins

16. - Top - End - #946
    Titan in the Playground

The Horns just need a capstone and they're done.
    Orcs and Goblins

17. - Top - End - #947
    Titan in the Playground

The Horns are done in theory. If you guys like the ability, I shall move on to the first Epic PrC.
    Orcs and Goblins

18. - Top - End - #948
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Bhu View Post
    The Horns are done in theory. If you guys like the ability, I shall move on to the first Epic PrC.
    YEEEEEEES. NOOOOOOW. DO IT NOOOOW.

I mean... Yeah, the Horns looks good from where I'm standing.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters
    According to this test, I am a LN Half-Orc Cleric, Lvl.2.
    "And in the layer of the Deep Ones, we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever." - H.P. Lovecraft

19. - Top - End - #949
    Ettin in the Playground

Priest of the God requiring recalculation doesn't make much sense, as most Orckies who take the PRC aren't gonna have racial hit dice to recalculate, since they'll all be class levels. Most transformation type PRCs either do a gradual transformation or change type without changing stats according to the type, so having this seems weird and unnecessary in my eyes.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

20. - Top - End - #950
    Titan in the Playground

I reworded it to make it clearer
    Orcs and Goblins

21. - Top - End - #951
    Titan in the Playground

I need a little time to recuperate from minor surgery. Till then you can guess what I'm up to with this:

SCARRED VETERAN

[IMG]Picture URL[/IMG]

Why have you come here? It is well known that I do not wish to be disturbed."

"The Elven armies are marching out of the North Forests again. Their Gods have demanded retribution for our recent raids."

"Raiding is a futile effort."

"We had no choice! We needed the food!"

"And in the process you took more than their food I'd wager. And enjoyed it as well. The problem with raiding for food is that it doesn't solve your initial predicament, it just provides a short term fix while granting you new enemies. You'd have done better to trade with them, or learn their agriculture"

"Trade?!? The Elves have been our enemies since the dawn of time! They have killed countless thousands of our people! How can someone who is considered the hero of the Dawning Wars even speak of such a thing?"

"Listen to me well boy. I am old. Far older than any Orc has any right to be. I have seen countless wars in Gruumsh's name, none of which furthered the cause of our people or brought us anything to show for the countless dead lost in them. We created enemy after enemy, murdered everything in out path, and raped the women of other races in the hopes of breeding them out of existence. Our people have created so much suffering in the world it is unlikely we will ever be forgiven. You called me a hero. I am not. I am considered such because I am the only living thing to have survived the last battle of the Dawning Wars, and on that day I swore that I would never fight in the name of our Gods again. Gods look after their own wants and needs, not those of mortals. You would do better to put aside what Gruumsh demands of you, and make peace with the Elves while you can."

"I will not listen to such blasphemy! I was sent here to get your help against an old foe, and I find you weak in your old age! It is disgusting that you would turn your back on the enemies that murdered your fellow tribesmen!"

"The Elves did not kill anyone in the last battle."

"What? How is that possible? The elders say it is so?"

"Your elders repeat what has been told to them. More specifically what I told them. I knew the wars would never end, so I told them the Elves were too powerful. The Elves didn't kill our warriors, I did. And when I finished I butchered the Elves as well to ensure that they didn't press the issue and come out of the forests to pursue us. Neither side had any warrior powerful enough to fight me. The Elves didn't consider pursuing what was left of our tribe to be worth the cost, and our tribe thought the Elves were too strong to face again. I created peace for what I hoped would be several generations. Long enough for both sides to see the wars were pointless. And in a few weeks time you have ruined that. There is a price to pay for intruding on my solitude, and you will have paid it in spades before your spirit departs this realm boy. And if you are lucky I will not send your family to the Abyss directly behind you..."

Orcs live short lives. With the constant fighting they're likely to die before seeing any kind of old age, and even if they don't die on the field they're just as likely to die being challenged by one of their own to a duel, being poisoned by a slave, or die from starvation or from eating tainted food because it's the only thing available.

But some Orcs are lucky. Lucky and smart, and incredibly tough. They survive the wars, they beat all the challengers that come for them, and they're tough enough to eat any poison and come through it okay. Their endurance comes at a price. Living longer than other Orcs mean they learn much more. They get to see some of the truth about the world around them, and their place in it. It's inevitable most turn their back on the Orcs never ending racial war against the Elves and other Humanoids. They know it will end in death. They live on as protectors of their people, but they no longer identify with them. They are lost souls who feel they have no place in the world, and they are very dangerous people...

BECOMING A SCARRED VETERAN
    Simple survival is how most orc warriors achieve this class, and there are perhaps a handful in the world at any given moment. Their tendencies to challenge Gruumsh inevitably get the better of them...

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
    Race: Orc
    BAB: +30
    Base Fort Save: +22
    Damage Reduction: DR 20/-
    Feats: Extend Rage, Instantaneous Rage, Mad Foam Rager, Mage Slayer, Pierce Magical Protection
    Epic Feats: Damage Reduction x3, Epic Fortitude, Epic Reflexes, Epic Will, Extended Lifespan x 2
    Skills: Intimidate 30 ranks, Survival 30 ranks

Class Skills
    The Scarred Veteran's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (History, Local, War), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Ride (Dex), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str).
    Skills Points at Each Level : 4 + int

Hit Dice: d12

Code:
       Abilities
    1.   Legendary Killer
    2.   Legendary Toughness
    3.   Legendary Rage
    4.   Legendary Killer
    5.   Legendary Toughness
    6.   Legendary Rage
    7.   Legendary Killer
    8.   Legendary Toughness
    9.   Legendary Rage
    10.  Godslayer
    Weapon Proficiencies: A Scarred Veteran gains no new weapon or armor proficiencies.

Legendary Killer (Ex): Beginning at 1st level you threaten a critical with any attack which rolls a natural 12 or higher. You also have a 50% chance to cause a critical hit on any creature immune to criticals if you confirm it successfully on one.

At 4th level you automatically threaten a critical with any successful hit, and may now critically hit any creature normally immune to critical hits.

At 7th level with any successful hit your opponent must make a Fortitude Save (DC is 10 plus 1/2 HD plus Strength Modifier for melee attacks or Dex modifier for Ranged attacks) or die. If the Save is successful he automatically takes the maximum damage you could do (and it's doubled do to the successful critical). You may now successfully critically hit deities (though they are still immune to the instant death effect).

Legendary Toughness (Ex): Beginning at 2nd level you are immune to disease, poison, sleep effects, stunning, or being dazed.

At 5th level your DR affects all damage that isn't done by an energy source, not just weapon attacks.

At 8th level your DR changes to Invulnerability, and is subtracted from all damage (energy included) done to you.

Legendary Rage (Ex): Beginning at 3rd level you are immune to Critical Hits and Death Effects while Raging.

At 6th Level you are immune to Mind Affecting Effects while Raging.

At 9th level you automatically succeed on all Fortitude Saves while Raging.

Godslayer (Ex): You now permanently gain the benefits of Rage with none of the drawbacks (i.e. AC penalty, limited actions, etc). If you can actually personally slay a God in combat you may take his place as a Deity with Divine Rank 1.

PLAYING A SCARRED VETERAN
    You have seen every atrocity the world has to offer, and quite probably committed many of them yourself. Nothing fazes you anymore, but after years of warfare your mind has taken more than it can handle. Perhaps you find solace in remaining apart from everyone, performing your deeds in secret. Some of you have become serial killers, seeking to lose the pain of their existence by taking the lives of others away from them. Others are little more than feral beasts or delusional madmen. A few have even taken it upon themselves to take down the very Gods responsible for creating your race.
    Combat: A Scarred Veteran is all about combat. That's what you've done all your life, and what you always believed you'd do in the afterlife. You've learned enough of the world to realize that war isn't the best answer, but you yourself rarely use anything but violence to solve your problems. Some say the long life of killing has unhinged you. Others realize your insanity may be the reason you've made it this far. You were simply a far better murderer than your fellow tribesmen.
    Advancement: Scarred veterans almost always fall foul of the clergy of the Orc Pantheon, usually because they've abandoned it's cause. Or because they've made killing the Gods so the Orcs can get some peace a personal hobby. Because good or evil, almost all Scarred Veterans have the same goal: personally killing Gruumsh, along with the rest of the Gods.
    Resources: You have whatever wealth you have gained from a life of adventuring, or plundered in nonstop warfare in the name of your former gods. A few of you may have even set yourselves up as minor kings among your kind, but usually the few existing Orc veterans are loners.

SCARRED VETERANS IN THE WORLD
    "One day he'll come back to rescue us all and destroy the Elves. You'll see."
    Scarred veterans have usually withdrawn from the world. Alienated from their own kind, and shunned by everyone else they feel they have no place in the world. Most are insane from the things they have witnessed or done. They may help those they find worthy, or they may devour everything in their path if disturbed.
    Daily Life: Veterans are dangerously unstable, and many of them prefer the life of hermits. And as long as everyone else accepts that, things will be fine. If anyone disturbs them, and reminds them the world may not necessarily be willing to leave them alone however, bad things will happen. Nearby villages will have to accept that the powerful warrior will be spending his days picking fruit in his garden, or picking his knives out of their dead and dying bodies.
    Notables: Tarn (CN Male Orc Barbarian 20/Epic Barbarian 20/Scarred Veteran 5) is a fairly unstable Orc who has achieved worldwide fame among his kind. If they knew his secrets, he'd be famous for different reasons.
    Organizations: A few Scarred Veterans head their own organization, but most dislike belonging. They're too independent to want to be tied down to a bureaucracy or chain of command.

NPC Reaction
    NPC's tend to either worship Veterans as heroes, or fear them. It's almost always the latter though. The Veterans are too unpredictable for the hero worship to last once people realize they're not entirely sane.

SCARRED VETERANS IN THE GAME
    Make sure your players are comfortable with someone playing a lunatic. A Veteran is crazy enough that if the player decides to kill all the other members of the team in their sleep, it wouldn't be out of character. So this might be best as an NPC PrC.
    Adaptation: This is definitely meant for gritty campaigns, and is fairly high level. High enough that most groups won't be playing one, though they may encounter one as an 'end boss' so to speak.
    Encounters: Scarred Veterans are rarely seen, and if they are it's most likely because the PC's have accidentally stumbled on their home. At first they probably won't realize the old Orc fumbling about in his garden is any real danger. If he gets angry that will change quickly. The only other time they're encountered is when one of them finally loses it and decides to travel the Planes to personally challenge Gruumsh.

Sample Encounter
    EL 45: The PC's have come across an Orc village burned to the ground a few days away from where they encountered a field littered with the corpses of an Elven battalion. Eventually they find a small cottage in the woods with an old Orc male living there. He seems to old to be a threat, and his memory is going. They decide he's of no help and ride on. At least until they notice the scare crow standing in his crops is the corpse of a young Orc warrior...

Tarn
    CN Male Orc Barbarian 20/Epic Barbarian 20/Scarred Veteran 5
    Init +4, Senses: Listen +34, Spot +1, Dark Vision 60'
    Languages Common, Orc
    AC 44, touch 20, flat-footed 44 (+14 Armor, +10 Deflection, +10 Natural)
    AC Raging 42, touch 18, flat-footed 42 (-2 Rage, +14 Armor, +10 Deflection, +10 Natural)
    hp 517 (45 HD), 697 Raging
    Fort +29 (+33 Raging, +39 w/Cloak, +43 w/Cloak and Raging), Ref +20 (+30 w/Cloak), Will +17 (+21 Raging, +27 w/Cloak, +31 w/Cloak and Raging)
    Uncanny Dodge, Improved Uncanny Dodge, Trap Sense +13, Indomitable Will
    Speed 30 ft. (6 squares)
    Melee +18 Greataxe +60/+55/+50/+45 (1d12+25, x3)
    Melee Raging +18 Greataxe +64/+59/+54/+49 (1d12+31, x3)
    Base Atk +37, Grp +42 (+46 Raging)
    Atk Options Rage 11/day, Mighty Rage, Tireless Rage, Legendary Killer, Legendary Rage
    Combat Gear 2 Potions of Cure Serious Wounds
    Abilities Str 20 (28 Raging), Dex 10, Con 21 (29 Raging), Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 10
    SQ Light Sensitivity, Fast Movement, Illiteracy, DR 20/-, Legendary Toughness
    Feats Damage Reduction x3, Daylight Adaptation, Epic Fortitude, Epic Reflexes, Epic Will, Extended Lifespan x2, Extend Rage, Great Constitution x3, Improved Initiative, Instantaneous Rage, Mad Foam Rager, Mage Slayer, Pierce Magical Protection, Terrifying Rage
    Skills Climb +23 (+27 Raging), Hide +10, Intimidate +30, Jump +23 (+27 Raging), Listen +34, Move Silently +10, Ride +18, Spellcraft +2, Survival +34, Swim +23 (+27 Raging)
    Possessions +6 Greater Spell Resistance (SR 27) Negating Full Plate, +10 Ring of Epic Protection, +10 Cloak of Epic Resistance, +10 Amulet of Epic Natural Armor, +18 Greataxe, Ring of Rapid Healing, Winged Boots, 2 Potions of Cure Serious Wounds, 100 GP
    Last edited by Bhu; 2010-02-25 at 05:36 AM.
    Orcs and Goblins

22. - Top - End - #952
    Titan in the Playground

By the way, I'm thinking of polishing up these classes to make into a .pdf when I get them all done. Anyone interested? If so I'll be eventually be revising these once I get them all done.
    Orcs and Goblins

23. - Top - End - #953
    Titan in the Playground

FInally got chance to update the Scarred Veteran a little.
    Orcs and Goblins

24. - Top - End - #954
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmm, so Scarred Veteran is enterable at 40th level, huh? That's what I'm gathering by my count, as it'd take about 20 epic levels to advance BAB and Fort that far. Is that intended or were you aiming at earlier entry than that?
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

25. - Top - End - #955
    Titan in the Playground

Nope. You need to be 40th level to be one of these.
    Orcs and Goblins

26. - Top - End - #956
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bhu View Post
    Nope. You need to be 40th level to be one of these.
    Eh, fair enough. I just think you won't see anybody actually trying it out that far out in the power curve, honestly.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

27. - Top - End - #957
    Bugbear in the Playground

Okay, this time I'm going to force myself to stay on here for longer than a week.

28. - Top - End - #958
    Titan in the Playground

Always nice to see you drop in brother
    Orcs and Goblins

29. - Top - End - #959
    Titan in the Playground

Got the fluff finished on Scarred Veteran.
    Orcs and Goblins

30. - Top - End - #960
    Ettin in the Playground

Color me more intrigued by the Veteran and a pdf. I'd love to put some of these PRCs into play my games (The Treebender comes to mind...) and I'd like to see some polish on 'em.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!